-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 29, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8783580

This is the latest of my new seedlings coming up. I have never seen one grow like this.
The seeds were from a local cross here in Australia of knightii x old apricot. . Old apricot is the name we call an apricot that has been growing around the eastern states here, for a long time. Knightii is a common one here too.
I planted the seeds in late autumn ( Fall) as I wanted to see how they went through winter in my greenhouse.
All the other seeds from other crosses were normal , but this is the only one that grew from this cross.
It has 2 tiny heads as you can see. I have never seen anything like this one and nor has anyone in our brug group.
It has a few normal green leaves but the new ones grew this way. I see no evidence of any swelling or lumps etc , just the curling over of the colored leaves. The plant seems healthy otherwise.
I wondered if anyone has ever seen this type of growth on any seedling before.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Passionflowerz
Punta Gorda, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 29, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8783627

I had a sanguinea that grew two 'heads' or 'made the y' right off the bat-but never with the leaves you are showing.
TriFred
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8784718

Hi Jean,

Keep your fingers crossed that it will remain variegated, but odds are the growth will revert back to solid green.

I have had several seedlings similar to yours that have started out variegated. Unfortunately all of them grew out of the variegation and turned solid green. I'm still growing the seedlings out and have them marked as originally being variegated. I'm hoping that maybe whatever triggered the variegation in the first place will cause the plants to throw off a variegated sport as they continue to grow.

Fred
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8785023

Jean,

Your seedling has two growing tips as a result of damage to the original single growing one. I've had seedlings do strange things, but have never had a variegated one. Fred has way more experience with seedlings than I will ever have. I'd follow his lead and keep this seedling even if it reverts to all green. I remember reading that 'knightii' is an unstable cultivar, a trait that just might might reward you with something new.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 30, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8785446

Thank you for the replies. I will definitely keep the little fellow even if he does revert to green.
It will be great to get him to grow then maybe cross to something like the variegated Maya.
Fred , I will keep any low shoots as he grows in case a sport arises. I usually take them off to make a clean trunk.
Jean.
scalplantmaniac
Vista, CA

September 16, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8811729

I have not had experience with brugs, but with other plants when a leaf shows a mutation if it is cut to just above the leaf the resulting shoot frequently displays the character of the leaf.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America