Punta Gorda, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi,
Are camellias related to rhododenrons and azaleas? I can't seem to find a forum for them, and thought the people over here could tell me more, since they look very similar. TY

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Hello, TY. They are not technically related but I am familiar with camellias and will try to answer your question. You have some nice camellia sources close to where you live (Erinon Nursery in Plymouth) and other nice places to view camellias (Harry P. Leu Gardens in Orlando)!!!

Punta Gorda, FL(Zone 9b)

TY Luis (TY is Thank You :) )
I was really just wondering more about them in general, and wondered if Dave's Garden had a forum for them, as they
questions I have will be ongoing.
My question of the moment is..Why do they separate them as ones for tea, and ones not for tea? Can't they all be
used for making tea?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

For "eons", camellia sinensis and its leaves leaves have been bred especially for making flavorful teas. The others -you could try- do not taste as well. At least they did not taste that great when someone made a tea for me using japonica leaves. Then again, our taste buds are all so different that they may taste different/well to you.

Punta Gorda, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks again. This is good to know, especially when one is starting a tea garden.
I suppose I won't be able to get the most loveliest of flowers, but I will have some great tea blends.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

You may be interested in this link then...

http://www.camforest.com/Camellia_sinensis_s/34.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images