Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Trading: CLOSED: Come Join us - Fourth Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange !

Communities > Forums > Seed Trading
bookmark
Forum: Seed TradingReplies: 224, Views: 2,130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 29, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8784315

Quoting:THE SWAP IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW PARTICIPANTS

We have 139 participants !!!

Hi everyone,

I am hosting another Tomato and Pepper seed swap that will include members from a few different forums. I wanted to post this a bit early so you had time to collect seeds or place an order.

Here are the guidelines we will follow for this swap (Note - they differ slightly from last year):

1) Seeds must be received by me no later than November 15th, so I recommend you mail your envelope no later than November 1. Please note that I live in Canada, so those in the US and overseas need to allow at least a couple of weeks for mailing time.

You can send "named varieties" of tomatoes or peppers (or both). Do not include mixes or seeds labeled "granny's mystery mix" or unnamed bell peppers or anything like that. I cannot, in fairness, send mixed or unknown packs of seed back to people that followed the instructions and only sent in "named varieties". If I receive anything like this from you, it will be returned to you, unless it is clearly marked as bonus seeds.

If you are sending hybrid seeds to exchange, only F1 seeds from a commercial source are acceptable. Your source for the F1 seeds must be clearly marked on your seed package/envelope. Do not send in seeds you have collected from a hybrid plant. They will not grow true to the original parent plant. If you are unsure if the seed you have collected is from a hybrid, please do your research online before mailing in your seeds.

2) A minimum of 10 seeds per packet. A maximum of 5 packets of the same seed. An overall maximum of 40 packets per person. Please stick to this limit, as it ensures enough variety for all participants. Every year I have a few participants that push well past this limit, and slip a note in saying, I hope it was ok...and by the way...I only want all rare seed varities in return...LOL. Sorry folks, that's not going to work...it's just not fair to all participants. Bonus seeds are of course more than welcome, but I just ask that they are clearly marked as such.

Please ensure seed packets are clearly marked with the name, and whether they are heirloom, OP (Open Pollinated), or F1 hybrid seeds. If you are sending pepper seeds, it would help me a great deal with sorting if you could indicate on the packages if the peppers are sweet or hot as many individuals in the last swap had clear preferences. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well.

3) If you send tomato seeds, you will receive tomato seeds in return. The same idea for peppers, unless you include a note indicating you want something different in return. You can also send in tomato seeds and ask for pepper seeds in return or visa versa, or any combination. I fully expect a large variety and volume of seed types to be able to accommodate this.

4) Please include a list of what you are sending, your wish list and if there are any seeds you do not want to receive. It is very important to take the time to write out a list of what you are sending, otherwise I have to do it for you and I do not have time for that. If you are only interested in heirloom or OP, please tell me that as well. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees of course. The variety will be completely dependent on what is sent in. In last year's swap, we were able to fill many items on people's wish lists so please take the time to prepare one - it will be worth your while. In a follow up posting, I will list many of the highly sought after varieties from last years swap, in case this helps some individuals decide what to send in for swapping.

5) You will need to mail your seeds inside a bubble envelope with a return label inside, along with the correct amount of return postage. I will reuse your original bubble envelope to send your surprise seeds back to you. Return postage rates are as follows:

* If you live in Canada - $1.25 return postage stamps
* If you live in the US - $2.16 (CAD or US$) (includes tax)
* If you live outside Canada and US - $4.31 (CAD or US$) (includes tax)

All postage rates can be verified on the Canada Post website. For those outside of Canada, you will need to send enough funds to pay for return postage. You can either send concealed cash in the envelope or you could submit payment for postage via Paypal. Please DO NOT send stamps from your country. They will not work here in Canada :)

It's important that you send a regular bubble envelope and not the heavy cardboard insulated type. Weight restriction in this price category is 100g.

6) If you change your mind after registering, and no longer wish to participate, PLEASE notify me immediately so we do not delay the swap waiting for your seeds to arrive. This will also save me a great deal of time trying to follow up and track people down.

7) I will d-email you privately with my mailing address once you have posted here to sign up for this swap. My address can also be found in the DG address exchange.

Any questions. Please let me know. Let's have fun exchanging seeds !!!!

Thanks……Heather

This message was edited Oct 16, 2011 8:09 AM

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2011
3:24 AM

Post #8784458

Hi Heather,
I always get great seeds from this swap. Sign me up, please!
Alana
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 30, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8786159

Welcome Alana,

Sent you a private message with more details including mailing address. Please let me know if you do not receive it.

We're getting a great response so far. 16 signups so far in our first day. Last year we had 109 participants altogether and I look forward to beating that number for our best year yet.

Thanks...Heather

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8786182

Thanks a million, Heather!

Sign me up, too. Last year was GREAT.

Corey
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8786716

may i sign up please?
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 31, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8786808

Count me in!
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8786827

I always swear "No more seed trades after this." Then I get a not from you and it's off to the races!

Thanks for your timely note. I hadn't intended to save seeds this year, but I will now!

Count me in!!!

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8787510

This is probably a good place to ask... Do pepper seeds need to be fermented, like tomatoes?
Debating on weather or not i will have enough time, patience, & named seeds to participate this year.
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 31, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8787621

No pepper and chile seeds do not need to be fermented. They only need to be dry so as not to begin to mold.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8787663

Ok, that's what i thought but for some reason i thought i just better be sure. Now if i actually get any black pearls before this swap ends... Lol

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8787666

>> In a follow up posting, I will list many of the highly sought after varieties from last years swap,

That's great. My favorie "yar-end seed sale" was discontinued, so i'll be buying some commercial pkts to split. Might as well get ones that are popular!

I think you're smart to call what you senback to us "surprise seeds", especially since what you sen(to me at least) last year was better-targetted at what I wanted than i could picked for myself out of 6 seed catalogs with an unlimited budget. You do know tomatoes!

Corey
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 31, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8787716

Gee outlaw I am Perko's Chile Farm and I have Chile's so if your wanting Black Pearl I can send you some directly so that you can be on your way.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

August 31, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8787722

Hi Donna... I would love to participate again. Thanks for the 'heads-up'. Nancy

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8787804

perkoschilefarm wrote:Gee outlaw I am Perko's Chile Farm and I have Chile's so if your wanting Black Pearl I can send you some directly so that you can be on your way.

Ha!!! Now that you mention it! Some of these screen names are like decoding vanity plates. :) i think i was reading your name more like... 'Perko schile farm'. Whatever a schile is... Lol
I have some black pearls growing now. They've yet to flower though?! Finally starting to get sweet bell peppers, unnamed variety though. So I'll have to dig through my seed stash and figure out what qualifying seeds i have.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 31, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8787868

This message was edited Sep 1, 2011 8:09 AM
kygreg2000
Hopkinsville, KY

September 1, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8788260

Sequee,

There is a 12 step program for tomato seed collection addiction; fortunately I am not in it.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 1, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8788473

We're up to 42 participants and we just started two days ago !!!!
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8788481

i would love to see a list of the most sought after seeds from last year. i will be buying seeds to augment what i have and would like to get things people want

kc
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8788575

When I tried to join the 12-step program they told me to call back when they've added a few more steps!
Allwild
North, TX

September 1, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8788627

Count me in too. :-)
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

September 1, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8788684

Yay for Heather's annual seed swap!!! Yes, please count me in :D

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8788850

Greg,
>> There is a 12 step program for tomato seed collection addiction; fortunately I am not in it.

I think that was the concensus in these threads. Most admitted they had a problem, but NO ONE wanted to change a bit.

Seed Trading: You know you're a seed saver when ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1136999/?hl=\"you may be\"

Seed Trading: You know you're a seed saver when ... (Thread #2)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1150113/

I think the popular version of a "12-step program for seed savers" was something like:

1. buy seeds
2. plant seeds
3. save seeds

4. trade for more seeds
5. plant more seeds
6. save more seeds

7. trade for even MORE seeds
8. organize seeds
9. plant even MORE seeds
10. save even MORE seeds

11. build more garden beds
12. plant even MORE seeds

Problem? What problem?
Making amends? Is that like when you add compost and mulch to soil?

Corey
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 1, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8789248

Hi folks,

Over the years a few people have asked me if there are paticular seeds that people are asking for, so I finally got my act together last year and kept a list of a few of the most sought after and the well...not so sought after varieties. I'm not sure if this list will help anyone with decision making this year, but just in case. Wish list items seem to vary slightly every year, but this may be an indicator of some of the ones that we could have used more of last year :) Here goes...

POPULAR TOMATOES - mortgage lifter bicolor, earl's faux, neves azorean red, barlow jap, gary o-sena, sungold F1, momotaro F1, omar's lebanese, applause, virginia sweets, fordhook first, summer cider, stump of the world, taylor lacey leaf, green zebra cherry, tim's black ruffles, kimberley, black and brown boar, russian #117, early varieties, varieties that do well in cool climate, varities that do well in hot dry climates.

POPULAR PEPPERS - trinidad scorpion, red savina, biker billy f1, rocoto, manzano, tobago seasoning, poblano, orange sun, sweets - non bells, early peppers, rare varieties (of course :)

on the flip side...there are a few seeds that we tend to get way too much of and are typically not listed at all on wish lists. I've done my best to hold some of these back and replace with variety from my commercial purchases, but thought it might be best to give a heads up that these tend to come in on a high volume basis. Here goes:

TOMATOES WE GET TOO MANY OF - Green zebra, Large red cherry, Small red cherry, Rutgers, Regular beefsteak
Marglobe, Brandywine regular, yellow pear, regular roma

PEPPERS WE GET TOO MANY OF - Jalapeno regular, Cayenne Red (any kind of red hot- large or small), California wonder, Habanero orange, Hot cherry, hungarian hot wax

Having said this, it is not my intention to restrict what you send in. There will be participants that do not have what you send in as I fully expect a large number of people from around the world. I purposely stock up on a good variety to prepare for this swap, so I can mix things up if needed. We'll be more than happy to accept what you have in your stash for swapping. If you're in the position of trying to decide what to send in or what commercial seeds to buy to split up and send in, my hope is these lists may be helpful to you.

I'm still getting caught up on new signups that came in while I was at work today...wow! the numbers are getting bigger and bigger...and fast. I love it !!!!

This message was edited Sep 2, 2011 8:03 AM
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

September 1, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8789325

Sorry but I am going to have to drop out of this swap as I am about to go overseas for many months. Hope every body has a dandy time.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 1, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8789361

Thanks for the update Perkoschilefarm
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

September 1, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8789505

No prob.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 1, 2011
10:43 PM

Post #8789669

Wanted to touch base with everyone on wish lists. I really do encourage you to put together a wish list of tomato and/or pepper seeds that you'd be interested in getting. Some people hesitate because they think they're adding to my workload. You're not. That's really the main jest of this swap is to send you back seeds you don't already have. There are of course no guarantees, but taking a few minutes to put together a wish list is well worth your while.

Alternatively, there are folks who don't have a wish list, but they have an inventory of what they already have. They're just hoping to get things that are not already in their stash. In those cases, I would encourage you to send me the list of what you already have for seeds and I'll use that as a basis to come up with some nice surprises for you.

Wish lists and "already have" lists can be sent in the same envelope as your seeds. Or if it's easier for you, you could always send it to me by email attachment. I'm not sure if you can send attachments via the davesgarden messaging system, but you will find my personal email address in the welcome letter that's sent to you once you sign up.

Hope this helps to clarify if anyone was wondering.

I know there's some lurkers out there...come on..whatya waiting for. Come join our fun
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8790365

I would like to participate again.

Denise
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 2, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8791007

We're up to 59 participants. Anyone that has signed up was sent a private email or message from me with further detail. If you haven't received it, please get back in touch with me.

muck4doo
Austin, TX

September 3, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8791623

I've got a bunch of berkely tie dye seeds i can contribute.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 5, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8794972

We're up to 71 participants !!! Still lots of time for others to join in our fun.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 8, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8798793

We're up to 79 participants

Would love to see more daves garden participants in this swap. The participation from dg is significantly less than other places this year. If you've been lurking...don't be shy...come join our fun.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8798930

Count me in, Heather. I didn't do it last year and missed it.
Beebonnet
khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

September 10, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8801851

Hi,

I would like to participate. But i am not sure how the return postage will work as i am in another country.

Khabbab
http://www.lahoregardening.com
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 10, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8802134

Welcome to the swap Khabbab. I just sent you a d-mail with further instructions. As indicated in the first posting, the participant needs to send funds to pay for the return postage (canadian or us dollars). Some enclose the cash in the envelope with the seeds, and others will choose to pay via paypal payments services. Either way is fine. I purchase Canadian postage with the cash that is sent to send your surprise seeds back to you.

More detail on how to pay for the postage via paypal is found in the dmail I just sent. You may find this easiest for you.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 10, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8802145

Hi everyone,

We're up to 91 participants with lots of time for more to join in.

I've received a couple of questions and thought it would be worth addressing them here in case anyone else was wondering the same...

- Green customs forms - do you need to put them on your envelope? - it really depends on your local post office. You can just toss the envelope in the mailbox as with any other letter and it will be fine. If you take it to your post office, and they ask you to use the green customs form..that's good too. Just write tomato/pepper seeds (whatever you're sending) on the slip. There's no worries here, as these seeds are fine for sending into Canada and customs will not have an issue with it. Canada customs only has issue with sending live plants into Canada (not tomato and pepper seed)

- Is there a minimum number of seeds packs to participate in the seed swap? No. Only the maximum of 40 altogether with no more than 5 packs of any one type of seed. If you're just starting out and don't have much seed, this is a great way for you to expand your variety, and I would encourage you to participate.

Any further questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 15, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8809217

Woohoo! We just made it to 100 participants. !!!

A couple of people asked me if you have to be a member to participate in this swap. The answer is no. I have several people that are not members of any online forum participating in this swap. If you have a friend that you wish to invite to join us in this swap, feel free to mention this to them. Ask them to get in touch with me directly by email (email address provided in my original welcome letter that was sent to you when you joined).

I do need to track who is participating and need email contact information for followup purposes if someone is not a member of a forum, so I do need to know if you've invited someone to join us.

Thanks everyone

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8809409

OK count me in please. I dont know why I ever thought I wouldnt want to participate.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 15, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8810405

Welcome 1lisac...glad you decided to join us again :)

We're up to 104 participants...need 6 more people to beat last years # of participants. In case you haven't already guessed...I'm a very competitive person...LOL

GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2011
12:55 AM

Post #8810579

I would like to join, but have only 5 varieties of open pollinated (my garden) heirloom seeds available:

Roma
Mortgage Lifter (my fave so far)
Goldman's Italian American
Tommy Toe cherry tomato
Amish Paste

I wouldn't want to burden you veggie mavens with "boring" varieties that you already grow or don't want to grow. I am new to veggie gardening, but have enjoyed my tomatoes this year. I have been lovingly fermenting and drying seeds for nearly two months. I didn't realize how many seeds I had until I started bagging them up. If is unfortunately fried green tomato time in PA. Fall has suddenly arrived in the Pocono mountains.

If it makes a difference, I would be happy to receive tomato and/or sweet pepper seeds. My goal is growing tasty veggies in my relatively short zone 6a season. I'll try growing any kind of seed once - twice if I kill it the first time. (Case in point is the 7' tall potted South African orange flowered tender perennial in the foyer tonight. I am not sure of the name - seedling from a swap with faded, smudged, possibly misspelled label that hasn't flowered yet and may be ugly or stinky. If nothing else, it is a conversation piece.)
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 16, 2011
2:17 AM

Post #8810590

Welcome gardenquilts,

Welcome to our swap. I just sent you a private d-mail with more details.

Please send in the seeds you have for swapping. You have some great varieties there. this is a great opportunity for those newer to gardening to expand the varieties in their collection.

Thanks...Heather
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2011
2:48 AM

Post #8810599

Yippee, Thank You!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8811192

Mortgage Lifter and Tommy Toe sound good to me!

One reason that things become boring and ordinary is that they are so popular and well-loved!

Hurray to you for multiplying and preserving good varieties.

Corey
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8811419

GardenQuilts- picture?
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8811648

Add me again this year too! I just went through my packets and have some commercial ones I bought last Dec. that I can share! This addiction is really hard to control!! LOL!! I can't believe I still have a sizable wish list despite all the wonderful varieties I have received the last couple of years from this exchange!! I wonder if there is enough time in my life time to sample them all!!
muck4doo
Austin, TX

September 16, 2011
11:49 PM

Post #8811838

I had hoped to get this done last weekend, but it wasn't to be. Anyhow, just finally got the seed packets all into their packs of ten. Here are the seed packets I'm contributing. One packet of 10 seeds each unless otherwise noted by(x). Pain in the butt getting them all packaged, but worth it. 50 seed packs of 10 in all:

Amana Orange, Angora Super Sweet, Anna Russian, Arkansas Traveller(x2), Aunt Ginny's Purple, Aussie, Berkeley Tie dye(x5), Black Krim, Black Sea Man, Blondkopfchen, Bloody Butcher, Clint Eastwood Rowdy Red, Dagmas Perfection, Dr. Carolyn, Early Annie(x2), Fargo, Fence Row Cherry, Flamme, Giant Belgium, Great White, Green Giant, Hawaiian Pineapple, Hillbilly, Isis Candy, Japanese Black Trifele, Jersey Devil, Lime Green salad, Marriannas Peace, Marvel Striped, Matt's Wild Cherry(x2), Moskovich, Paul Robeson, Persimmon, Pixie Striped, Principe Borghese, Silvery Fir Tree, Snow Ball, Sprite, Texas Star, Tim's Black Ruffles, Wapsiconan Peach, Yellow Pear(boo!), and Yellow Ruffled.

Surprise me with 15-20 packs of something I didn't pitch in. The rest use for bonus. I've got more seeds than I can use, and am too happy to help. Sending Monday. :)
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2011
1:49 AM

Post #8811891

Here is a picture of my first tomato of the season - Mortgage Lifter. Tommy Toe was my favorite snack. I had to restrain myself and save some seeds instead of popping them in my mouth - one after another. I usually don't like cherry tomatoes, but I like TT - tastes like a big tomato. "Tommy Toe - the little tomato with the big tomato taste". Can you tell Mad Men is my favorite tv show?

Thumbnail by GardenQuilts
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 18, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8814059

We're up to 110 participants !!!
I'll continue to accept new signups for a couple of weeks.

Thanks...Heather
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8815010

I would like to Donate Tomato Seeds if accepted? Please let me know..

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8815037

I just harvested my first home-grown tomatoes ever! Stupice & Sun Gold.

I'll be sending these.

Omar's Lebanese .INDET . . . LATE . . . huge pink
Sun Gold F1 . . .INDET . . . early? . . . orange cherry
Sub Artic Plenty . . .DET . . . very early & cool . . . med-small red
Manitoba . . . DET . . . extra-early & cool . . med red (containers)
Stupice . . .INDET . . . ultra-early & cool . . . med-small red
Glacier . . . DET or semi-det . ultra-early . . 1-3 oz red-orange
Ildi yellow grape . . INDET . . . extra-early . . .
Jaune Flamme. . .INDET . . . mid-season . . 2-3 oz orange
Old Flame. . . INDET . . . mid-season . . 24 oz? orange-yellow w' red streaks
Pruden's Purple. . .INDET . . . mid-season . . 16 oz purple-pink
Marglobe. . . semi-det . . . mid-season . . med red

This message was edited Sep 26, 2011 12:03 PM
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8815152

GardenQuilts - I have about 600 different varieties of tomato seeds, and you still have 1 I haven't tried. Just to show you that old and tried and true does not equal boring! Ain't no such animal in the tomato world! (Burp!)
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 19, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8815217

Kim M. We will gladly accept donations. Thank you so much for your generosity. I will send you a pm to connect further.

RickCorey_WA - send your envelope any time you're ready. Had my first envelope arrive a couple of days ago. I just sort, file and update my spreadsheets as they come in gradually.

We're up to 112 participants...woo hoo !!!!
muck4doo
Austin, TX

September 19, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8815365

muck4doo wrote:I had hoped to get this done last weekend, but it wasn't to be. Anyhow, just finally got the seed packets all into their packs of ten. Here are the seed packets I'm contributing. One packet of 10 seeds each unless otherwise noted by(x). Pain in the butt getting them all packaged, but worth it. 50 seed packs of 10 in all:

Amana Orange, Angora Super Sweet, Anna Russian, Arkansas Traveller(x2), Aunt Ginny's Purple, Aussie, Berkeley Tie dye(x5), Black Krim, Black Sea Man, Blondkopfchen, Bloody Butcher, Clint Eastwood Rowdy Red, Dagmas Perfection, Dr. Carolyn, Early Annie(x2), Fargo, Fence Row Cherry, Flamme, Giant Belgium, Great White, Green Giant, Hawaiian Pineapple, Hillbilly, Isis Candy, Japanese Black Trifele, Jersey Devil, Lime Green salad, Marriannas Peace, Marvel Striped, Matt's Wild Cherry(x2), Moskovich, Paul Robeson, Persimmon, Pixie Striped, Principe Borghese, Silvery Fir Tree, Snow Ball, Sprite, Texas Star, Tim's Black Ruffles, Wapsiconan Peach, Yellow Pear(boo!), and Yellow Ruffled.

Surprise me with 15-20 packs of something I didn't pitch in. The rest use for bonus. I've got more seeds than I can use, and am too happy to help. Sending Monday. :)

Sratch the Great White. I mailed everything out today, and just found the Great White seed packet on the floor. It must have fallen out. :(
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 21, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8818674

Today I received seeds from a member with the initials PB from Denman Island, BC. I'm sorry but I don't know who you are and you need to contact me with your member id. Folks, as a friendly reminder, when you send your seeds, please make sure you include a note inside your envelope that has your member id clearly marked. I need this to be able to keep track of whose seeds I've received and who I'm still waiting on. DB from Denman Island, can you please contact me and advise your member id?

Thank you.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8819550

Back of my kitchen counter looks like a science lab experiment right now. Still fermenting and have one or two more that are being slow to ripen. Several are just about ready to clean and dry. Good, that will make room for the slow ones. You will not receive mine for awhile, Heather, but they will get there. I love doing this so I am glad I signed up.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8820981

I plan to mail my seeds on Monday - life and weather permitting. I want to give them plenty of time to get to Canada!

Don't feel bad, my kitchen still looks like a lab experiment, the cat thinks drying seed stalks are new toys and Winston the pug is irritated that I am spending so much time in the kitchen rustling paper bags, shaking cups and sifting seeds but not making any FOOD. I am tired of pulling Chinese forget -me-not seeds aka nature's Velcro from my slippers.

My plants are loving this rain, but I would love a few more nice days before the freezing temperatures arrive.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 24, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8821761

Lots of time yet to get your seeds in Beebonnet. As long as I get them by November 15th, we're good.

We're up to 121 participants and with a few weeks left for signups...I fully expect a record for the number of signups this year.

As a heads up to everyone, I am out of town on business September 25th thru Sept 29th, and will not be able to respond to posts, dmail, or signups during that time. I will update you on any envelopes received this upcoming week when I return.

I am still needing someone with the initials PB from Denman Island to contact me. I have received your seeds but I have no idea who you are. I need you to get in touch with me and tell me your member id so I can track accordingly.

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 30, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8830245

I received seeds from "Don Shirer".

We're up to 125 participants. Still taking signups for a couple of more weeks.

Still needing the person with the initials PB (first and last name) from Denman Island, BC to get in touch with me. I have received your seeds but have no idea who you are. I need your member id to update my tracking.

Thanks everybody.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 4, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8835427

We're up to 131 participants !!!!

I am still needing PB from Denman Island, BC to contact me. :)
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 5, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8837379

Today I received seeds from "muck4doo".
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 6, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8838346

Today I received seed from "nancyruhl".

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 6, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8839047

The last day to sign up for this swap will be October 15th !!! If you've been sitting on the sidelines debating on whether or not you should join...don't be shy.

We're up to 133 participants.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8839349

Hi everyone,

I know there will be a few people that are struggling to finalize their wish lists. If you have your seeds all packed and ready to go, feel free to mail those now. You can always send me your wish list by email attachment later (by the deadline).

I keep all of the wish lists in a spreadsheet for easy sorting, so it's no work for me to add to your list (or delete from it, if you already received a wish list item from a trade).

Thanks...Heather
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8839682

is it ok to say things like slicing tomatoes or sweet red peppers for the wish list part without knowing names? i am so new i am not even sure about specific names.
kc
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8839948

Yes that would be fine. The parameters you mention are doable for me to research, however, where possible, adding names to your list is best as it helps save me time researching seed types to fill your list. I expect to receive over 600 different tomato types in this swap, and close to the same number of different peppers, so the research on each type is quite extensive, if I have to look up the characteristics of each submission. I try to do that as best I can, but anything you can do to help build out your list with specific names helps a great deal.

I've had some people put requests like "I only want productive tomatoes" or "tomatoes from the 1940s and 1950s" on their list. That's a huge task for me to research as it would depend on your specfic growing conditions etc and I would have to spend a ton of time trying going through various resource sites trying to find tomatoes that meet those specific conditions. Much easier if the participants spend a bit of time doing some research if there are specific qualities they are looking for and then passing along some names to me. There are lots of good postings in this forum that could help you build out a list.

I hope this helps.

Everyone...please be sure to keep checking back in the forums periodically for updates. I will not be contacting everyone individually for important updates, as there are just too many participants to do that.

Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Oct 7, 2011 4:04 PM
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

October 7, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8840009

Would it help if we sent a short description of the varieties we send seed for? I didn't do that but could email you dmail you the info.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8840014

Sure Nancy...that would be great. Some varieties I've already got descriptions built out on, but often there are a lot of seeds that come in that I've never heard of before. Thanks...Heather

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8840185

>> I keep all of the wish lists in a spreadsheet for easy sorting

Cool, I didn't know! I'll be sure to send an e-copy to save you typing.
Want to post the order of your columns, and maybe your abbreviations??

Here's what I try to get onto every paper label,
even though they fit in a 1.5" Ziploc:

cultivar name
O.P.
DET / INDET / semi
ultra-early / extra-early / mid-season (as alleged by vendor or confirmed elsewhere)
"for cool climates"
color of fruit
potato leaf / regular
size or wieght of fruit alleged by vendor
vendor &year
size of vines alleged by vendor
flavor if it seems plausible and supported by other vendors
disease resistances

I noticed that almost every cultivar is "highly productive", "best flavor" and "earliest" in some catalogs.

hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8840245

Hi Rick,

The descriptions you have are great. Easy for me to incorporate in my setup. The spreadheet works great for me. I can easily search how many people are searching for "grub's mystery green" for example, and compare to how many of that seed pack I actually have. If someone doesn't mention that they are interested in that specific variety when they really are, they run the risk of not getting it, because I'm more likely to allocate it to people that had it specifically mentioned on their wish list. If I don't have enough of one seed type to fill all of the wish lists, then I apply my sense of fairness in distributing those seeds.

I won't bother posting column or abbreviation info on the spreadsheets. I don't want to make it more difficult for anyone.

The main thing is for people to take the time to put together a wish list, so they will be truly pleased with the result.

Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Oct 7, 2011 6:43 PM

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8840330

>> If someone doesn't mention that they are interested in that specific variety when they really are, they run the risk of not getting it,

Logical.

You do a LOT of work to make this happen!

I forget if I said last year that your method seemed like the best-run swap I ever saw or heard of ... but it depends on you doing all the work. All the machinery and overhead effort of DG's Plant Files Have / Want lists seem to me about 2% as effective as your swap.

Ella's "Hog Wild Swap" is also in the running for "best swap", but it is wildly different in most ways.

Thanks, Heather!

hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8840343

Happy to do this Corey. I see it as a big group effort really. It takes the enthusiasm and participation of a lot of great people from around the world to make this swap a success.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8840347

I astonished myself by finallyy getting a few ripe Stupuce and even fewer ripe Sungold cherries.
But some finally ripened!

I have more commerical Stupice seed already, and Sungold is F1, so learning fermentation is for some other year.

P.S. It is true what they say: with Sungold cherry tomatoes, you really have let them get at least as ripe as possible before the flavor turns from sugary-bland to sweet-fruity-tropical-worthwhile. It seems to me that the "orange" blushes over into an "almost-red-orange" before they're worth eating. the they're good, even though low-acid.

In my garden, this year, that means "wait until they split from the rain, and THEN pick them".
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8840365

I don't have much luck with sungold in my climate. Tried it a couple of times, and I haven't been able to get that sweet fruity taste. I thought they were supposed to be relatively easy to grow, but they probably do a whole lot better with more heat than I get here.

I finally picked the rest of my green tomatoes tonight. Was hopeful they'd ripen outdoors under clear plastic to protect from frost, but now the nights are just getting too cold. Not a great growing year, but was pleasantly surprised at how big the grub's mystery green grew in the wet cool weather we had this year. This was my first year growing it, and it was nice...and quite sweet. Maybe a bit sweet for my liking, but I will grow it again as it was very productive and nice large fruits compared to everything else I grew. Fermenting seed on this one right now.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8841054

Here is an interesting descriptive list of tomatoes. I found several of mine here.
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/tomato/2000082820026233.html
Sh-h-h Don't tell where i found it. LOL
Beebonnet
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8841364

that is such a cool list. thank you for posting it
kc
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2011

Post #8841371

Who cares where you got the list? What matters is that you brought it here. Thanks
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8842566

As a supplement to the previous list recommended I would add Tatiana's Fact List. I use it frequently to research heirloom and open pollinated varieties since that is my main interest at present. Her list does not include hybrids unless they have been grown to become open pollinated: http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Category:Tomato_Variety_List

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8843774

I used to love Tania's TomatoBase. THE best.

But since they changed their Web address to include the ":88", I haven't been able to find a security setting that let's my browser access any part of it.

Sigh.

Corey

hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 10, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8844398

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone !!!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 11, 2011
2:21 AM

Post #8844580

I will be out of town on business October 12th thru 15th and will not be responding to d-mail or new signups during this time. I will respond to all correspondence and provide updates on envelopes received when I return.

Thanks...Heather

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8845265

And Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to you, Heather. I wish ours was as early as yours.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 12, 2011
3:15 AM

Post #8845885

Could I ask everyone to let me know when you have mailed your seeds?

I'm still needing someone with the initials P B from Denman Island, BC to get in touch with me. I have received your seeds but I have no idea who you are. I need to update my records so that I know exactly who's seeds we're waiting on. PLEASE get in touch with me with your member id. It is important.

Thanks...Heather

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8846063

Heather, I mailed mine on 10/5.
Alana
muck4doo
Austin, TX

October 12, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8846800

poisondartfrog wrote:Heather, I mailed mine on 10/5.
Alana

Mailed mine the 17th or 19th. It got there on the 5th. Mail is slow crossing the border. It will get there. :)

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8847751

I mailed mine today: 10/12 from the Seattle area. Postage via PayPal.

Stupice . . .. . . ultra-early & cool . . . med-small red
Glacier . . . . ultra-early . . 1-3 oz red-orange
Ildi . . . extra-early . . . yellow grape
Manitoba . . . extra-early & cool . . . med red . . in containers
Sub Artic Plenty . . . very early & cool . . . med-small red
Sun Gold F1 . . . . early . . . orange cherry . . . sweet, fruity-tropical
Jaune Flamme. . . mid-season . . 2-3 oz orange
Old Flame. . . mid-season . . 24 oz? orange-yellow w' red streaks
Pruden's Purple. . . mid-season . . 16 oz purple-pink
Marglobe. . . mid-season . . med red
Black Russian . . . mid-season med mahogany brown . . . full-bodied
Omar's Lebanese . . . LATE . . . huge pink

Corey

This message was edited Oct 14, 2011 3:53 PM
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8848738

mailed mine out today and paypal'd the postage. thanks again for letting me participate.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8848823

muck, mine usually take about 3 weeks to get there-I was responding to Heather's request to know when we mail.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 15, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8850483

Thanks for the updates everyone.

Just got back from Toronto tonight. I received seeds from "sol451".

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 16, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8850901

THIS SWAP IS NOW CLOSED. WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW SIGNUPS. OUR GRAND TOTAL IS 139 PARTICIPANTS.

AS A REMINDER, PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU HAVE MAILED YOUR SEEDS SO I CAN UPDATE MY TRACKING.

I have marked this thread as closed, but you can still post on this thread.

Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Oct 16, 2011 8:48 AM
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 16, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8851041

Hi everyone,

Now that we have closed off the swap to new participants - it is time to move forward with more fun.

I have some miscellaneous vegetable seeds to give away as bonuses. These are only for the participants of this swap (from various forums). All are commercial purchases I picked up this year. There are very limited quantities of these, so here is how were going to do it:

1) Respond if interested and provide me with your top 6 picks, in order of preference. Please be specific. Do not respond, saying I am interested in any of the melons for example, as I will be dividing them up to those that responded with my specific instructions followed first. You will lose out if you are not specific. You can either respond by private message, or post here, it does not matter. I am going by time stamps on all responses, no matter what way you communicate with me. If you respond by email or private message, I will acknowledge receipt within a couple of days so you know it came through ok.

2) Preference for specific types will be given on a first come first serve basis, so you need to respond quickly.

3) I cannot guarantee you are able to get any of these seeds. It all depends on how many respond, and how quickly you respond, and how many individuals request the same seed. This is why I am asking you to identify your top 6 picks in order of preference, so your odds of getting something are higher.

4) I will post a periodic update as certain varieties are fully depleted.

5) PLEASE RESPOND NO LATER THAN OCTOBER 28th IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ANY OF THESE SEEDS.

Here is the list of bonus seeds:

Bean - Rattlesnake Pole Bean-gone

Eggplant - Black Beauty
Eggplant - Goya Kumba
Eggplant - Gretel - Gone
Eggplant - Hansel - Gone
Eggplant - Japanese Millionaire-Gone
Eggplant - Kecskemeti Lila
Eggplant - Round Mauve - Gone
Eggplant - Turkish Orange
Eggplant - Twinkle-Gone

Melon - Mekti Painted Serpent

Radish - China Rose
Radish - Easter Egg

Watermelon - Sugar Baby
Watermelon - Sugar Lee
Watermelon - Yellow Crimson

Thanks ..Heather

This message was edited Oct 24, 2011 8:02 AM
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8851206

if we respond here; my interest/wants:

hansel
gretel
sugar baby
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8852268

You always seem to find some new goody to spring on us! Thanks!
If available, I would like to try

Eggplant: Black Beauty or Round Mauve
Bean: Rattlesnake
Radish: China Rose

Don Shirer

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8852592

Thank you for the offer. i would love to try the following:

Bean - Rattlesnake Pole Bean

Eggplant - Goya Kumba
Eggplant - Twinkle or Round Mauve

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8852875

If you have any available I would like the Painted Serpent Melon.
Thanks, Alana
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8853085

I promise my seeds will go in the mail this week!

If there are any of the following I would like some:
Eggplant-Turkish Orange
Eggplant - Goya Kumba

Thanks!
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8853249

If there are any left I would like a few of:
Eggplants:
Hansel
Gretel
Japanese Millionaire
Twinkle

Easter Egg Radish

Thanks,
Jessica
muck4doo
Austin, TX

October 17, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8853271

1.Eggplant - Gretel
2.Eggplant - Hansel
3.Eggplant - Turkish Orange
4.Eggplant - Twinkle

Oooooh, if you can put those on my wish list please do.

Will send you my tomato wish list later. Put these at the top for me.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2011 7:44 PM
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8855362

I'm off on Friday, so I hope to get my seeds packed then and mailed on Saturday.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8856707

I would love some veggie seeds:

Eggplant Japanese Millionaire, Round Mauve
Melon Mekti Painted Serpent
Watermelon Sugar Lee
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 21, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8858721

If you haven't previously responded and are still interested in bonus seeds please let me know as soon as possible.

As a reminder, please let me know when you have mailed your seeds. You should be planning to mail them soon as they'll take a couple of weeks anyway if you're outside of Canada.

If you have changed your mind and are no longer participating in this swap, I need you to let me know as quickly as possible, so we don't hold up the swap waiting on your seeds...when they're not coming.

Thanks...Heather

hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 21, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8858737

ADDITIONAL BONUS OFFER

Hi folks,

A participant from another forum has graciously donated some "Cucumber - Double Yield" seeds to share.

Even if you have already responded on the previous bonus offer, please let me know if you are interested in any of these cucumber seeds.

Seeds will be allocated on a first come first serve basis, so you should respond quickly.

I have not yet received the seeds, but will be distributing according to the order requests are received as soon as they arrive. You will find out when you receive your envelope full of seeds back, whether or not you were allocated a packet. So it will be a surprise. I do expect to get enough to share with quite a number of participants.

Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Oct 21, 2011 7:45 PM

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8858764

Hi Heather

I did send my tomato seeds 9 days ago (10/12 from the Seattle area).
I'm sure the mail is just slow, but I see that, even at 3 MPH, they would have been there by now!

If you have enough, I would love any of these:
- Cucumber - Double Yield"
- Eggplant - Goya Kumba
- Melon - Mekti Painted Serpent
- Radish - China Rose
- Radish - Easter Egg

Corey
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 21, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8858788

Thanks Corey. I find it's taking two weeks anyway for the mail from the US. I had one envelope that took a little over 3 weeks to get here.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8859196

The cukes would be wonderful to have...even just 3 seeds would be FABULOUS!

I expect to be sending some veggies seeds along as well, and if anyone's interested, I just brought in some flowers seed: Love in a Mist, Datura, and boring ole purple Morning Glories.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 22, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8859200

Thanks Sequee...could you please contact me via pm if you're planning to send in veggie seeds? I need to coordinate well ahead of time, so can manage, sort and communicate with proper notice. If an envelope shows up at the last minute, and there were veggie bonus seeds I didn't know about, I can't distribute them.

Thanks so much...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 23, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8860877

ANOTHER BONUS OFFER

Sequee has graciously offered up the following seeds as bonuses to participants. First come first serve. Please post here if you are interested in any varieties. Please respond no later than October 28th.

* Saisai Leaf Radish
* Spaghetti Squash
* Broad Leaf Batavian Endive
* Falstaff Red Brussel Sprouts
* Rainbow Lacinato Kale
* Leaf Brocolli
* Love in a Mist (purple flower)

Don't forget to have a peek at other bonus offers posted above. Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Oct 24, 2011 9:19 AM
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8860884

may i have just 2 or 3 spaghetti squash seeds?
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 24, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8861478

Just posting the updated list of what's still available for bonus seeds. These are available to participants of this swap. All are commercial purchases I picked up this year, unless noted otherwise. There are very limited quantities of these, so here is how were going to do it:

1) Respond if interested and provide me with your top 6 picks, in order of preference. Please be specific. Do not respond, saying I am interested in any of the melons for example, as I will be dividing them up to those that responded with my specific instructions followed first. You will lose out if you are not specific. You can either respond by private message, or post here, it does not matter. I am going by time stamps on all responses, no matter what way you communicate with me. If you respond by email or private message, I will acknowledge receipt within a couple of days so you know it came through ok.

2) Preference for specific types will be given on a first come first serve basis, so you need to respond quickly.

3) I cannot guarantee you are able to get any of these seeds. It all depends on how many respond, and how quickly you respond, and how many individuals request the same seed. This is why I am asking you to identify your top 6 picks in order of preference, so your odds of getting something are higher.

5) PLEASE RESPOND NO LATER THAN OCTOBER 28th IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ANY OF THESE SEEDS.

Cucumber - Double Yield (donated by a participant in another forum)
Eggplant - Black Beauty
Eggplant - Goya Kumba
Eggplant - Turkish Orange
Radish - China Rose
Radish - Easter Egg
Watermelon - Sugar Baby
Watermelon - Sugar Lee

* Saisai Leaf Radish (donated by Sequee)
* Spaghetti Squash (donated by Sequee)
* Broad Leaf Batavian Endive (donated by Sequee)
* Falstaff Red Brussel Sprouts (donated by Sequee)
* Rainbow Lacinato Kale (donated by Sequee)
* Leaf Brocolli (donated by Sequee)
* Love in a Mist (purple flower) (donated by Sequee)

Thanks ..Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 24, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8861492

Folks...a favour to ask of you.

Please do not arrange side trades with participants of this swap (that you plan on including in the envelope with your tomato/pepper seeds for the exchange. It really complicates things for me. Last year a couple of people did this and didn't tell me, then envelopes started showing up with little notes slipped in...saying can you "give this or that to this person"...in exchange they are giving me "x seed". What inevitably happened is some people didn't follow through with the trade they arranged with you and I was put in the position of following up with people and resorting seeds I didn't plan on.

I will start mailing envelopes gradually after the deadline and need to be able to control the flow in a way that works for me.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding...Heather

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8861501

I would love to have cucumber Double Yield, Easter Egg radish, and Falstaff Red Brussel Sprouts.
Thanks...
Beebonnet
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

October 24, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8861698

Hi, Heather! I would love some bonus seeds...Here's my top six. Thanks to you, Sequee, and other donor members :)

1. Cucumber - Double Yield (donated by a participant in another forum)
2. Eggplant - Black Beauty
3. * Falstaff Red Brussel Sprouts (donated by Sequee)
4. Melon - Mekti Painted Serpent
5. * Leaf Brocolli (donated by Sequee)
6. * Love in a Mist (purple flower) (donated by Sequee)

- Christine.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8861770

Thanks, Heather and Sequee!

If you have enough, I would love any of these, in order by "favortie first"

* Leaf Brocolli
* Love in a Mist (purple flower)
- Cucumber - Double Yield"
- Eggplant - Goya Kumba
- Melon - Mekti Painted Serpent
- Radish - China Rose
- Radish - Easter Egg

Corey
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 24, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8861981

Today I received seeds from:

Gardadore
Poisondartfrog
risingcreek

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 24, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8862450

Another Seed Offer

Boy are you guys ever spoiled :)

Just got some more veggie seeds in the mail to share with you (from a member of another forum).

Once again...first come first serve. Open to everyone, even if you responded on a prior bonus offer. There are limited quantities...so you gotta be fast around here :)

* Fagiolo Nano - Bush Slenderette Bean - gone
* Beet - Scarlet Prince
* Beet - Detroit Dark Red, Medium Top
* Sunflower, Russian Mammoth - gone

Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Oct 24, 2011 10:12 PM
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 25, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8862696

Thanks Corey. Have noted your updated wish list.

Just reposting the updated list of bonus seeds available for participants of this swap...so it's front and centre. If you previously responded, and see anything else you want, just let me know about your "additions" please.

Beet Detroit Dark Red, Medium Top
Broad Leaf Batavian Endive
Cucumber - Double Yield
Eggplant - Black Beauty
Eggplant - Goya Kumba
Leaf Brocolli
Love in a Mist (Purple flower)
Radish - China Rose
Saisai Leaf Radish
Spaghetti Squash
Watermelon - Sugar Baby
Watermelon - Sugar Lee

Thanks ..Heather

This message was edited Oct 25, 2011 12:59 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8863169

I finally got my seeds mailed off today. Along with the ones that Ive already requested, if there are enough I would also like: Spaghetti Squach, Radish EE and CR, Rainbow Lacinato Kale and Beet Scarlet Prince. Ill send my want list by Dmail. THANK YOU
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 25, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8863327

Thanks for the update 1lisac. Please send me your wish list by Nov 1st if possible.

Today I received seeds from "RickCorey_WA".

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 25, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8863554

Just posting the updated list of what's now available for bonus seeds. A member from another forum has graciously donated some more seeds. These new additions are marked with an *.

These are available to participants of this swap. There are very limited quantities of these, so here is how were going to do it:

Broad Leaf Batavian Endive
Cucumber - Double Yield
Eggplant - Black Beauty
* Eggplant Fengyung Purple
Eggplant - Goya Kumba
* Eggplant Pingtung Long
* Eggplant Rosa Bianca
* Eggplant Slim Jim
* Eggplant Snowy
* Eggplant Kumari Sri Lanka
Leaf Brocolli
Saisai Leaf Radish
Watermelon - Sugar Baby
Watermelon - Sugar Lee

Thanks ..Heather

This message was edited Oct 26, 2011 5:41 PM

This message was edited Oct 29, 2011 8:08 AM
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8864272

Heather:
You could add Eggplant Rosa Bianca to my envelope if there are any left. Thanks!
Don Shirer
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 26, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8865178

Today I received seeds from "Mooiemoestuin".

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 28, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8867499

As a friendly reminder to everyone, you need to get your seeds mailed no later than Nov 1st. It's too late to mail them after that as I will not get them in time, and will not hold up the swap waiting on seeds that were mailed after the deadline.

There are still a number of people that I haven't heard from yet, so I would really appreciate if you could update me when you have mailed your seeds.

Thanks a bunch...Heather
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8868176

Went out this morning, but only by the Grace of God. We had a unexpected n'oreaster this morning. Got to the po and work just fine, but when I went to leave at 12:15, I managed 6 miles before I did a 360 and ended up in the median. 3 hours later I finally arrived back at my office, thanks to a very nice police officer! Sheesh - talk about a white knuckler - 2 cars crashed around me and a tree fell between my car and the police car, but I am unscather, and as best I can tell, so is the little red Miata (which is resting comfortably in the police officer's friend's driveway!).

Looks like I'll be spending the night at the Retirement Community!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 30, 2011
10:31 AM

Post #8869212

So glad you're safe Sequee.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 30, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8869213

Final reminder folks...your seeds must be in the mail by Nov 1st. There are still a number of people on this forum that I have not heard from. I have send a couple of reminder messages to everyone, and would very much appreciate just a quick communication to let me know if you are no longer participating in this swap...or when you mail your seeds.

Your communication is very important to helping me run this swap smoothly and to avoid unnecessary delays.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8869461

Thanks, me too! I went to fetch my car this morning and it looks fine. Whew!

Hope everyine's seeds get there on time. It is really so exciting to see what's in the goodie bag!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 31, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8870486

Another reminder...if you haven't already sent it to me, or if it wasn't included when you mailed your seeds...please make sure you get me your wish lists by Nov 1st. Thanks
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 31, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8870593

Today I received seeds from someone with the initials M.K. (first and last name initials) from Ithaca, NY. I have no idea who you are, as you did not write your member name on a note anywhere in the envelope and have not received any correspondence from anyone that has disclosed this name to me.

Please contact me asap so I can update my records accordingly. I need to be clear on whose seeds I've received and which ones I'm still waiting for.

Thanks
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 1, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8872413

I still have not received updates from the following members that signed up for this swap:

* gardenquilts
* kurantkat

Folks, I have emailed you on a few occassions reminding you of the deadline (Nov 1st) and asking that you 1) advise me when your seeds have been mailed or 2) tell me you are no longer in this swap. I do not understand why there has been no communication from you on this.. I really do not have time to continue to follow up with numerous participants.

As such, I am not going to wait on your seeds. I have no choice but to assume they are not coming. If you haven't already mailed your seeds, it's too late now. I won't get them in time. If I get any envelopes that are postmarked after today, they will be returned to you, unopened with the original seeds sent back to you. I will not email anyone on this list to advise your envelope was returned, because I'm not even going to open it to find out who it came from. If you sent your envelope by today, I strongly recommend you let me know right away, or I will not wait on your envelope and there will be no seeds left to swap for the ones you sent in.

This same message has been posted in other forums for participants that have not advised me they are still in this swap and have mailed their seeds.

Thanks everyone.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2011 12:22 PM

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2011

Post #8873663

Heather, have you read your D mail? I sent you this message on Oct. 27.
Hi Heather---I want to send you my return money through Paypal but I don't have your email address.
I sent the seeds off today but without the money.
Also, I sent more than 5 packets of 2 varieties. Opps. So, you can either add more from the extras, or keep them or give them. I don't need them back. Thanks
Sue
I also posted here but I probably didn't click send, which sometimes I forget to do.
You should have them before your deadline.
Sue
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 2, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8873788

Beebonnet, I responded to your email of Oct 27th asking for my email. I've dmailed my email address to you twice now. It should be in your inbasket as it is definitely showing in my "sent" mail. If you need it again, please let me know, otherwise I'll assume you got it ok. I can't post my email publicly on this forum for privacy reasons. Thank you for the confirmation that you sent your seeds. Thank you

This message was edited Nov 2, 2011 5:56 PM
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 3, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8874754

I just received these bonus seeds to share. I have very limited quantities of these, so first come first serve...you'd better be quick :)

* Charentais Melon (french cantaloupe) - out
* Collective Farm Woman (russian melon) - out
* Ha'Ogen (Israeli melon) - out
* Zolotistaja (Russian melon) - out
* Shi-Li-Hon (Chinese mustard greens) - out

Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Nov 4, 2011 6:16 AM
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

November 4, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8876135

I sent my packet out 11/1. Thanks, Heather!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 4, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8876973

Hi Kurantkat,

I'm a little confused. This posting says you mailed nov 1st...I just got a d-mail saying you sent it out today. Can you please clarify? thank you.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 5, 2011
9:23 AM

Post #8877593

A quick update for everyone...as I'm sure you're very anxious to get your surprise packages back. Once all of the envelopes have been received, I will get started on filling and remailing your "surprise" packages back to you. I'm waiting on 40+ envelopes, and I expect the majority will arrive close to mid November.

I will post updates in this forum when I start remailing envelopes. Please remember...it will likely take a couple of weeks for your envelope to arrive once I've mailed it.

I would really appreciate if you could let me know when your envelope has arrived.

Thanks...Heather
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 5, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8877631

I'm sure you'll hear me squeeling all the way in Calgary! (But I'll sign in here, too!)
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8877905

i cant wait. the best part, for me, is the surprise of what i will receive. thank you heather, for doing this. it must take tons of time and effort.
kc
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

November 5, 2011
11:41 PM

Post #8878434

Sorry, that was before I went back to work Friday AM after traveling all week. I was rushing and forgot about the customs form, for one thing. I only returned to work yesterday and was told my 'Canada package' was stuck in the mailroom. I sent you a Dmail after I made one more effort to mail it around lunchtime, this time through an actual USPS storefront. They said it should be delivered in 6-8 business days, so I feel it might make it to you by the 15th. As mentioned in both my messages to you, if you receive it after the 11/15th deadline, then I missed the deadline, and that's that. :) I appreciate all the time and effort you put into the trade, and feel bad that I confused you somehow.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 7, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8880673

Today I received seeds from "Sequee".

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 7, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8880700

I received some veggie seeds that a participant has generously donated as bonuses. There are limited quantities of these, so let me know asap if you are interested in anything on this list. First come first serve, and this offer will be posted in all participating forums:

* Cilantro - out
* Cucumber Muncher - out
* Lettuce Grand Rapids - out
* Okra - out
* Radish Round Black Spanish - out
* Spinach Tyee Hybrid - out
* Strawberry - Sweet Fresca - out

I am off to my beloved dentist tonight for my annual checkup so will not be able to post updates on what's "taken" until later tonight. I will go by timestamps on replies. It does not matter if you reply by d-mail or post here.

Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Nov 9, 2011 8:54 AM
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8880777

i would be interestedin the cilantro. thanks
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 7, 2011

Post #8880916

Gotcha down for cilantro Risingcreek.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8880931

That's weird Sequee mailed after I did, I guess NY is closer then TX. Lol still didn't take very long. Of course I didn't go through the "wild ride of Mr Toad " to get my seeds to the PO.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8881466

That would be Ms. Toad to you! And, yes, they did get there quickly.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8881517

HeHe That's true Im just glad your all right.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 8, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8882522

Today I received seeds from "1lisac".

I haven't had a chance to sort through the seeds yet, so I may still need to come back to you if I have any questions.

Thanks...Heather

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2011
10:45 PM

Post #8882544

It's like I can hear the mood music swelling in a movie ... the plot is thickening ... things are approaching the climax ... the tension mounts ...

Corey
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8884795

...JAWS!!!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8884884

LOL!

hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 10, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8885376

Today I received seeds from "beebonnet".

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 14, 2011

Post #8890337

Today I received seeds from "allwild"

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 14, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8890471

Hi folks,

I'm still waiting on a few envelopes to arrive and then I'll be able to move forward with filling and remailing envelopes.

I may be delayed in giving you updates on Nov 15th and 16th as I'm running full-day workshops both days, which means I'll be putting in 18 hour work days. If I have any "umph" left when I get home at night...I'll give you an update on envelopes received...if not...you'll hear from me eventually...I promise :)

Meanwhile...a participant was kind enough to donate some Chinese Scarlet/Pumkin tree eggplant to give as bonuses. Let me know asap if interested. Once again..I'll be going by time stamps on responses. First come first serve.

I also have a few cucumber double yield seeds left to give away as bonuses. If you didn't respond to this offer previously, let me know if you want any of these.

Thanks...Heather

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8890599

I would love to try some of the Chinese Scarlet/Pumpkin tree eggplant along with all the other extras I ve requested.thanks
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 15, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8890910

1lisac..gotcha down for a pack.

The Chinese Scarlet/Pumpkin tree eggplant is now gone.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8891308

i cant wait for my seeds !!! like a little kid waiting for santa. this is a really great swap thanks for letting me take part !
kc
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 15, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8892217

Glad you could join us risingcreek.

Didn't receive any envelopes today...hopefully tomorrow.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8893194

Do you have a count for how many envelopes are late? Just curious, I'm in no hurry and enjoying the anticipation.

Corey
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 17, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8894987

Hi everyone,

Have received a couple of envelopes but am still waiting on a few more. meanwhile I am still working away on sorting, researching tomato types so I know who they're suited for and adding to the spreadsheet database so wish lists can be scanned. It will take me a while to get through this, and cross reference have lists, do not want lists, and wish lists...so thanks for your patience.

I've had a few impatient people contact me already asking why I haven't started mailing envelopes yet (not from this forum of course), so I thought it would be best if I posted an update, so you can have some perspective on what's involved. It would be quick and easy if I just closed my eyes and randomly stuffed envelopes like some swaps, but that's obviously not the intention of this swap.

Thanks for all of your patience everyone. All of you have been great...and I know you are anxiously waiting on your surprises.

Will give you further updates once I've started mailing envelopes.

...Heather

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8895651

i cant start planting till march so no hurry here ! anticipation, yes !
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 19, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8896800

I am just waiting on two envelopes at this point, but I am still able to sort without them, as those individuals were able to provide a list of seeds they sent as well as their wish list. So I'm working away sorting and stuffing as if those envelopes have arrived.

I'm all the way up to the letter "e" on filling wish lists. LOL. Gotta take my little pooch "Pepper" to the vet toay for his flu shot, and then I'll be back at those envelopes. It's minus 20 celcius in Calgary right now, so a good day to be staying insight playing with tomato and pepper seeds...that's for sure.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8897831

-20 - Yikes!

Last year, I lesarned a huge amount about what I was asking for, just by looking up the varieties you sent me.

How many traders send you seeds that you never heard of, that are EXACTLY what you have asked for, if you had known?

Heather's the best!

Corey
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 21, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8900902

Tomorrow (Nov 22) on my way to work...I'll be mailing an envelope back to "Gardadore".

Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Nov 22, 2011 2:11 PM
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8901429

Ooh-hoo! And so it begins...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8901431

OH...This is the hardest part...The anticipation
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 22, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8901680

Today I received envelopes from:

* kurantkat
* nf2932
* poajoan (second envelope)

NF2932...I know you were worried about your envelope since you mailed it Oct 26th. Your envelope was the only envelope that was opened and inspected at customs. That explains why it took a little longer. Must have smelled particularly good to the sniffer dogs :) LOL

I have not had a chance to open or look at the envelopes yet, as I only had a second to drop by the house and let the dog out. Back to work and I'll get at these envelopes later tonight. May need to reach out with questions once I open the envelopes.

Thanks...Heather

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8902054

(Dancing on tippy-toes!!)
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8902290

Just got home tonight after being away for two weeks to find when I opened the computer that my seeds are on their way! What a nice welcome home present! Can't wait! Thanks, Heather, for the many hours you devote to making us happy!!! Happy Thanksgiving, all!

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

November 23, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8902688

Heather... such good news! I suspected that customs must have been retaining the envelope as the timeframe seemed much too long. I am glad they made it to you unscathed!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone... I am thankful for the DG family! And thanks Heather for administering all of this for us... it's a big job and we all appreciate it! Nancy
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8902880

Corey-can you post a picture of you dancing on your tippy-toes?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8903385

You'll have to take my word for it that I was dancing on my tippy-toes shortly before this shot was taken ...

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8903388

someone took this one when he wasnt looking

Thumbnail by risingcreek

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8903677

risingcreek! He's naked ...
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8903850

oh dear ! sorry for exposing you corey !
muck4doo
Austin, TX

November 24, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8904389

w00t! w00t! w00t! So looking forward to this. Hope ya'll had a blessed Thanksgiving. :)

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8904557

We did, thank you and I hope you did as well. Off to bed soon. I'm pooped but blessed.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8905063

I've been OUTED!

Corey
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 27, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8907927

Today I mailed seeds to "beebonnet".

Have made my way through filling seed submissions against specific named wish list items. Now I'm working my way through, other general preferences (ie origin, color, dtm, traits). Will get more envelopes filled later today and tonight. Right now...gotta get this little pooch out for a couple of hours of exercise. He's staring at me intensely...as if to say...what's it gonna be...me or those seeds?

Stay tuned for more updates.

Thanks...Heather

hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 27, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8908518

Tomorrow morning I will be mailing seeds to:

* Don Shirer
* NF2932

Thanks...Heather

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8908856

Yipee! Can't wait for my Christmas present to arrive. Thank you Heather, for all you have done.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

November 28, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8908906

Thanks for the update Heather and for getting them out so quickly - you're amazing!... it will be interesting to see how long it takes to come back this way... do you also have to fill out a customs form for entry back into the US from Canada? I'm guessing it will come back this way quicker than it made it up to you, but time will bear that out. Can't wait! I've been getting lots of seed catalogs...so far i'm restraining myself - I should hold off until I see what seeds head back this way... but it's hard to do... -:) I must be patient! (not my strong suit when it comes to gardening) I agree with beebonnet... it's just like getting a Christmas gift in the mail!!

I took a drive around the neighborhood this morning admiring all the colors of the fall trees...and it's hard to imagine ripe tomatoes right now... but they have to be my most favorite garden veggie, and I really look forward to spring despite my appreciate for the fall. Have a great day everyone! Nancy
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 29, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8910204

Haven't forgotten about you guys. Have been mailing lots of envelopes back...just haven't finished off one from Davesgarden for a couple of days. I know the suspense is killing you :)

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8910415

Eagerly awaiting, not to say all a-twitter!

Corey

muck4doo
Austin, TX

November 29, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8910784

Anyway to send me a list of what you're sending when you do send? The reason I ask is that I give away a lot of seedlings and want to put together a list before giving out options. Seeds may take weeks to arrive.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 30, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8911880

Today I mailed seeds to "Muck4doo".

Muck4doo...I just saw your posting now. I'll see what I can do about putting a list together for you, but at the moment, I have my hands very full.

Thanks...Heather
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8912152

My seeds arrived today (I guess yesterday would be more accurate considering the time!). I can't believe they came so fast - quite a difference after last year when it was at least two weeks! As always you amaze me, Heather, with the diversity and number of packets you include. How are we getting so many more seeds than we send in?!!!! I am not complaining, just in awe of this package. You were able to give me so many from the wish list!! The bonuses are really exciting as well!! Thank you, thank you!!

Jessica (Gardadore)
muck4doo
Austin, TX

December 2, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8914135

Got the list. You are awesome! :)
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8914387

Glad you're happy with your surprise pack Gardadore. My excuse for sending you more seeds than you sent in is because I cant count :) LOL Really...we had some very generous participants that donated seeds to share, so it's always exciting to be able to send you some extra surprises.

Tomorrow (Dec 3rd) I will be mailing seeds back to:

* allwild
* kurantkat

Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Dec 3, 2011 3:38 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8914394

I'm just wondering not complaining, just wondering how do you decide what order to send the seeds back? I would be so overwhelmed I wouldn't know what to do with them.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2011
9:49 PM

Post #8914473

It's kind of hard to explain. I have a process I follow on filling specific seed types. First I start with going through the stash in alphabetical order and crossreferencing specific wish lists that list named varieites. I am gradually partially filling all envelopes as I work wish lists this way. Then I start to tackle wish lists, by other preferences once the requested named varieties have been allocated first. Once I've made my way through all the tomatoes, hot peppers and sweet peppers this way, I'll typically grab envelopes that have only a limited numbers of varieties remaining to fill. In otherwords, I may need only 5 or 6 more varieties to match the number that person sent in, so that's easy for me to complete, add some bonuses, capture it on the spreadsheet, write a note and mail. :) Sometimes I decide which envelopes to tackle based on my mental capabilities that night. If I've put in a really long work day (12-15 hours), I'll lean toward envelopes that are easy to fill when I get home from work.

Some envelopes take a lot more work to fill, because of very specific wishes, and requirements which means a requirement on my part to do a fair bit of research to figure what varieties to fit the bill. These cases typically haven't named a bunch of tomatoes on a wish list, but instead they outlined only specific traits they want and are very specific in what types of tomatoes they don't want. Same thing with Peppers. For example, "I only want hugely productive tomatoes that are red, not pink, that do well in hot climates and are disease resistant". As I'm sure you can imagine, I'm no tomato einstein, so I have to really roll up my sleeves on that type of request. I don't live in a climate that remotely resembles that. So, I have to be mentally pretty fresh to tackle an envelope like that, so I'll carve away at it a bit at a time

So there's no magic to it. I do what I think I can tackle comfortably after work every night. If it's a really late work day, I pick an envelope that feels easier for me. I don't tackle one envelope start to finish in one sitting ever. Specific named varieties on wish lists first, then I fill in from there. It allows me to apply a better sense of fairness by spreading all of the rarer varieties around

Too much information I know :)
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 3, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8915331

Tomorrow (Dec 4th) I will be mailing seeds to:

* rickcorey_wa

Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Dec 4, 2011 3:40 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8915461

I dont know how you do it, really. Thats amazing.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 5, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8917126

Today (Dec 5th) I will be mailing seeds to:

* 1lisac

Thanks...Heather

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8917506

OH, BOY!! Christmas is coming early this year!!

Thank you, Heather for all your hard work!

Corey
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8917590

Received my seeds today (1 week in transit--not bad!).

Many more than I expected, and at least 5 were on the list I was about to order commercially!
Thank you so much, Heather (and the bonus seed donors). : )

(Next fall we ought to revive this site and thank those donors whose seeds did exceptionally well.)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8917836

OMG soooo excited. I never order seeds until after this exchange. This year, with all the seeds I've gotten in trades and such and all I have from previous years I can't imagine ordering anything.

Can hardly wait, I'm on my tippy toes! I'll post when they get here.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8918589

Heather--I got my seeds yesterday evening. I was cooking dinner and had to wait until I finished to open them. All I can say is WOW. What a wonderful assortment as I look more closely this morning. They are awesome seeds and so many with wonderful names plus ones that I asked for too. And, oh the bonuses. I can't wait to start researching them. You are a dear to do this for us. Tomato season starts now. LOL

Counting back from Nov. 27---Guess it was 8 days to my mail box.
Todays news tell us that next year it will be much longer. Oh Well...

Happy 2012 tomato season everyone.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 7, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8919718

Thanks for the updates everyone. I'm so glad you're happy with the seeds. I missed the "today's news" part beebonnet. Haven't seen anything referring to mail service in the news here. All they're talking about on my news channel is the new border security program

I managed to get a few more envelopes out this morning. At this point I have to turn my attention back to last minute prep for my workshop this morning.

Sorry for the delay in getting these out everyone. This is taking me a bit longer than I had hoped as I've had a number of very late nights for work. I'm running workshops the remainder of this week as well, and tend to get home shortly before midnight, so thanks for your patience. Am striving to get the remaining envelopes out by this weekend.

Thanks...Heather
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8919815

I think what beeb means is that the USPS is losing so much money that they are going to close some distribution centers (including some big ones in my state) and want to eliminate Saturday delivery. Who'dve thought email could make that much difference?
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8919868

heather-the envelopes are so worth waiting for! i know i will be doing a happy dance when mine arrives.
muck4doo
Austin, TX

December 7, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8920806

Got the seeds today. Everything was perfect. Who is awesome? You are, that's who. Off to update the diary.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

December 9, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8922818

Heather... received my seeds yesterday late in the day... everything looks wonderful... I will take some time tonight to really look over the varieties and do some research... thanks for all the extra's also... and for all the time you put into this swap. It's really been fun participating! I'm really anticipating trying some of these (new to me) tomatoes! Come on spring!! Nancy

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8923140

They weren't there last night, but I'll check again tonight.

I'll be on Nantucket Saturday through Tuesday, so it's a good thing these are seeds and not rooted cuttings!

(I recall that mail was very slow in the other direction, also. My theory was that we are so close that they had someone walk, rather than put it on a plane.)

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8923794

I think most of us won't be planting our seeds for a while, so any delay only keeps the excitement going strong! I can't imagine doing all you do and still handling this at such a top notch level!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 10, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8924011

Today I mailed seeds to "sol451".

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 11, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8924842

Today I mailed seeds to:

* mooiemoestuin
* sequee

Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Dec 11, 2011 3:03 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8927121

Got my seeds today. Wow Im a little overwhelmed. Cant believe all the extras. I havent had a chance to check them all out., But THANK YOU. I may contact some of the individual participants to ask questions, if thats OK? This is better then Christmas, I actually got what I wanted. Now I hope Santa brings dirt. Will that fit down the Chimney?
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 13, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8927487

Today I mailed seeds back to:

* poisondartfrog

Thanks...Heather
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

December 14, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8929727

Got my seeds in the mail yesterday! Heather, thank you for taking the time to make sure we all get these happy surprises! You bring back the excitement that many of us haven't felt since we stopped believing in Santa :D

Yay for Heather, her amazing talent for organizing this ever-growing seed swap and the joy she brings!

Happy holidays to everyone, and to those who love it as much as I do, A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

- Christine.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 14, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8929842

Thanks for the updates everyone. So glad the seeds are arriving safely.

Tomorrow on my way to work, I am mailing seeds back to:

* nancyruhl
* risingcreek

That's it for everyone that participated from this forum. All of the envelopes are sent back as of tomorrow. Thanks for your participation and patience everyone. For some reason, filling the envelopes this year, took so much more time than usual. Next year, if I decide to do it again, I think I'm going to have to push forward the deadline by a week, so I'm not still stuffing envelopes in December when I should be getting ready for Christmas...LOL

Take care everyone. Have a wonderful Christmas. Take some time to enjoy with family, friends and of course...pets!

...Heather
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8929923

I can't imagine needing too participate again.lol But after receiving these seeds I can't imagine not participating. Heather-your work is much appreciated. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2011
8:28 PM

Post #8930072

Thank you, Heather, I got my seeds too! What a great present - MOUNDS of seeds, and MANY are very unfamiliar to me. I'll be enjoying researching them, growing and eating them!

Than you again, Heather, you are the Best!

Merry Christmass to you also, and happy gardening all through the new year.

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8930367

oh oh oh oh doing the happy dance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cant wait for the seeds to get here.

thank you heather for everything!

merry christmas !

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

December 17, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8933832

Merry Christmas to everyone! Nancy
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8935432

...while visions of seedlings danced in their heads.

Merry Christmas and happiest of New Years!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8935870

Thanks again, Heather! The more I sort and research, the happier I am. What a huge collection, of seeds that are good for my location (plus the ambitious ones I asked for).

Merry and Happy holy days, to each according to their own tradition.
If we all celebrate whole-heartedly, hopefully the Sun will come back.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8936211

Was someone looking for Kumato?

I saw Kumato seeds for sale here:

http://www.mariseeds.com/seedcatalog/blacks.html

Kumato NEW
Rare variety from Australia. We will say that this is a massive producer of 3-6 ounce fruits that are chocolate brown with deep orange and frosty green stripes. Their thick walls make them excellent keepers. These are great for the home gardener, but would be great for market growers as well.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8936981

I don't want to hijack this thread but I am very curious about this new Kumato tomato. My daughter-in-law picked up a package at Trader Joe's here in Scottsdale (produced in Mexico) but we have not eaten them yet. Then I read the above. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumato) it is a licensed seed and only those farmers who pay for the rights to grow it may grow it and sell it. The seeds are not supposed to be available for public purchase. It is also a hybrid so what does one get when one plants the seeds from the tomatoes which is permitted for private use? It is also listed in several sites as originating in the Spanish Mediterranean with no mention of Australia. So where did Mariseeds get them from and are they the original Kumato? Maybe I'll try some seeds from the ones my daughter-in-law bought and see what happens!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8937430

Well, every variety or ciltivar was once a hybrid.

I assumed this was a stabilized or "OP" strain because Wikipedia called it the "variety" 'Olmeca'.

("Kumato(R)" is just a marketing trademark.)

But I don't know whether it is F1 hybrid seed, or a stable strain. Since Syngenta makes a big deal oit of whom they will sell the seeds to, I guessed it was not F1. If it were F1, they shouldn't much care who gets the seeds, becuase they wouldn't come true at all in the seocnd generation (F2).

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2011
10:52 PM

Post #8937807

The Eagle has landed!!!

I can hardly wait to open the package and check 'em out.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8938275

Gardador--Have you tried the Kumato tomatoes yet? They sound fascinating. The thing about seeds is, they escape somehow. I have OSU Blueberry Tomatoes. Shh-h Not supposed to have them.
Kumato probably likes lots of heat and a long growing season like that of Australia and Mexico. Just as well that it wasn't in my package. I asked for and got lots of Russian varieties.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8939466

yippee my seeds arrived today !!! i am going to so enjoy them. thank you again !
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8939864

Beebonnet, I tried the Kumato the other day at my son's house and thought they were quite good although my daughter-in-law had stored them in the fridge and I understand that storing them under 50 degrees affects their flavor. I am now back in PA so will see if I can find them around here. We don't have a Trader Joe's near us. I saved some seeds and will see what happens this summer. Since they are hybrid I question how true they will be. I am still curious where Mariseeds got hers from. I got some of the OSU as well in the exchange- Shh - that's between us and will try them for fun as well.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8939969

wow i recd back so many more seeds then i sent in. just cannot say thank you enough!

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8940262

Heather, once again you have reduced my tomato wish list to next to none. Thank you! Your efforts are always appreciated.
Alana

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8940624

I saw no tomatoes at my local Wal-Mart, so i checked a Safeway.

The closest they came was a small sign that said "Heirloom Tomatoes" with about 6 assorted tomatoes under it. They didn't even post names on them, just stickers with numbers!

Oh, well. Maybe stores tend to carry local tomatoes, and this is not a great climate for mid-season tomatoes.

I can't get over the fact that many stores around here, even fruit stands, sell tomatoes called "On The Vine", as if that were a variety. It appears to mean nothing more than the fact that they were harvested with a little stem remaining on each fruit.

???!!???

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8943337

Tomato ID Error: The seeds I sent out for Egg Yolk appear to be something else. I wondered the first time I grew them out, as they were said to be "bright yellow, like an egg yolk". Mine were more of a yellow-green, similar to the egg yolk of when you pull it ouT of a hard boiled egg. The taste was awesome, so I was delighted to have them - and maybe the description I'd read elsewhere was "off".

I got my seeds from FedCo, so when my friend was ordering seeds from them, I asked her to get me another pack, and this year's tomatoes looked identical to the before, so it obviously wasn't a case of a mix-up on my part. And once again, the tomato was beyond prolific, and superior in taste, so I just figured the color descriptions were off.

Last week my sister in Florida sent me a box with some of "my" egg yolk tomatoes and some of HER Egg Yolk tomatoes, and WOW! What a difference: in color, in size, and in flavor!

Bottom line: The ones I shared in the trade are NOT Egg Yolk, but they are certainly one of the best cherries I've ever tasted! That being said, I am sorry for the mix-up, but I hope you will grow them out and enjoy them!

Happy New Year to all!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Seed Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My seeds Holly 7 Dec 7, 2010 4:21 AM
wanted orange coneflower SEEDLADY 22 Aug 31, 2007 5:28 AM
Have: Primula Elatior, Mesembryanthemum, Cuphea Ignea babalu 9 May 3, 2010 10:57 AM
looking for mimosa tree seeds (pods) jishro 53 Jan 20, 2011 5:03 PM
Another source for SASE seeds Terry 32 Jun 7, 2011 8:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America