-
AuthorContent
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

August 30, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8785603

I'm trying to collect seeds from a huge old baptisia. Many pods are black and dry, some halfway there and some green. Of the dark ones, I'm finding some empty, either marauded (holes -- birds?) or ripened and gone. In the rest, the seeds range from dark brown to beige to pale, usually all the same color in each pod. In a few there's white fuzz.

I think the fuzz must be mold, because we've just had record rains. But are the rest viable? Are the pale ones ok, just not dry?

I'm sending them in a trade, want to make sure they're good.

Thanks!

Pam

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8855812

Usually, pale seeds aren't ripe. My guess is that the only way is to gather pods just before they mold, and just beofe they open. Then expect some to be ripe and others not. Keep the darkest ones.

(I haven't learned a good method yet, or maybe I need to train my eye for each variety I want to save.)

You might have needed to tie a few seed pods into panty-hose toes, organza bags or small paper bags.

If seeds fall out too soon after ripening, you might need to catch them in bags. Or, if you have a few dry days in a row, spread newsdpapaers, paper plates or plastic film under the plants, and catch some that way.

I also have problems with losing seeds to rain and mold, or not checking often enough: "not ripe yet" and then "on the ground". I've thought about rigging a clear plastic "umbrella" over some plants to prtoect them from the rain ... and watching it fly away in the wind like Mary Poppins.

I don't know Baptisia, but DG Plant Files says:

>> Seed Collecting:
>> Allow seedheads to dry on plants; remove and collect seeds

Corey

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America