Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Brugmansias... Natures surprise packets.

Merino, Australia

Okay, here's the new baby to start the thread . I hope he keeps his color. But brugs are Natures surprise packets. One never knows whats in those little brown seed cases.
It helps if I put up the signpost.
We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1209314/
Jean.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2011 7:55 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
West of Brisbane, Australia

Will be interesting to see how that one turns out, Jean. I saw your question in the other forums and opinion is divided about whether the variegation is due to winter cold/virus, some insect infestation, or just a quirk that the seedling will grow out of (ie that it will lose the variegation when it grows).
So, really, nobody knows LOL

Clifton Springs, Australia

We will be sending lots of variegated good wishes to the little one, Jean.....and we will be hanging on every new leaf...

My Vulsa x seedlings are starting to grow thru the bottom of the pot....so it's just about time to pot them up....one thing though, they haven't got their true leaves yet...so I don't want to risk moving them..
I made a mistake by planting 2 in each pot.....I do that with the warm Brugs and usually by the time they grow thru the pot they have 4 true leaves... but these have developed so quickly that next time I will plant each one separately....

I am thinking that I might put them in a box with potting mix so the roots can go somewhere, 'till the real leaves grow...that might be the best way...
Any ideas?

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Cairns, Australia

Hi to all, yes that sounds like a good idea, putting them in a potting mix, so the roots can go down, and then you get the real leaves, and go from there. sounds good

Merino, Australia

Dianne, I have potted on some seedlings of the warmies about the same size as your vulsas. .I would get a pot of mix ready, make a hole the size of the small pot , then carefully tip the whole thing out and gently drop into the hole. Leave them together for now. they will separate later when stronger .
I hope to have some vulsas one of these days and I hope they do as well as yours. Congrats.
Jean.

Sydney, Australia

I agree with Jean ...just press the pot into the prepared medium to get the exact shape and then carefully upend the baby and plant.
My Sangs from Lucas are the same just growing with the cot leaves ...true leaves just recently starting to emerge. Quite different to the warm climate seedlings. I am thinking it may be the warm day temps.

Will do tomorrow....there are a couple with the start of true leaves....it should be a warm day too.....thanks.....I didn't want to make a mistake with these.

Hi Gena...how are your Brugs...are you going to grow some from seeds too?

Colleen, how are your Vulsa X's going.... you were going to pot them up?

barmera, Australia

I put them into 6" pots Dianne and they about 6" high with lots of leaves now. I have put them into the SH for safe keeping, [I hope] away from the snails. I've sprinkled saw dust around them to deter the little bu----ers. My poor little Daruras are copping it from them. I had another bud on the mauve one but that's gone now. They're a pain aren't they? My 2 Arboreas have quite a few buds coming. One should be out next week sometime but the others are smaller. Lucas sent me some Sanguinea pollen and I've put it in the crisper so I hope it will still be viable when the time comes. If not I will have to wait for my sangs to flower. There's not even a bud on them yet so I'll be waiting. Here's the pic of the strange flower on Suavelons. Notice how long and thin the neck is. Not at all like the flowers in the SH, they were nice and plump and pure white right from the start. This flower is actually a darker lemon than the pic depicts. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Victoria, Australia

Yeah one of my vulsas is about 6" tall, I found they didn't mind transplanting at all.

Cairns, Australia

I have to take a picture of my 2 seed bods, they are still on and growing so far, I looking at them all the time, my white & apricot are flowering again, I do not know they names but I still love them, the new ones are doing well, except for the variegated one has no leaves but still green stem.

Good going Gena....just be careful with your watering of that variegated one, keep it on the dry side..though I'm sure you know that...
I only have 1 pod and it's been there since February...still no signs of being ready...

Thanks Colleen and Lucas.....can't wait till they all flower...that's a lot of growth in a short time...they must like this weather.
Just found another snippet of info for the learners....as well as the leaf cestrum showed us, being called subequal
it is also called asymmetrical....I found that out info in here.http://www.abads.org/members/anatomy.htm
Scroll down to leaves....

Here is my first Knightii for the season...
The interesting thing about it is the clear throat...the 2nd skirt is opened....last year they were inaccessable doubles and a few singles toward the end...

This message was edited Sep 2, 2011 8:49 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger
barmera, Australia

Dianne, I hope my Knightii flowers this year. It's about 4' high but not a lot of leaves as yet. I have a few of the KnightiiX seeds from Lucas up. They should be interesting I think, if I can keep them growing. I knew there was another name for those leaves Dianne but I couldn't think of it. Thank you. Colleen

Well my Vulsa X seedlings are all planted... and looking good.....I didn't have any choice with separating them...when I up ended the pot, the seedlings just fell apart...so I have 12 new plants.

The cutting from Chrissy that we think is Fire Fighter Angel has 3 subequal leaves, one on each branch of the Y....but I can't find any others at the moment.

Knightii... has to flower this year, Colleen....show it the axe...
That's a pain, the snails eating your Datura...have you seen a full flower yet?
They ate every flower from my M.stellata..it's only small but it had a dozen or so flowers..doesn't it make you mad.

Cairns, Australia

Here is my sad variegated

Thumbnail by Gena1234
Cairns, Australia

The other are doing well from that lot

Thumbnail by Gena1234
Cairns, Australia

My 2 pods , i think i am going to loose one for it is yellow on the stork, the one on the left,the other is still going strong.

Thumbnail by Gena1234
Cairns, Australia

You can see better in this picture.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Don't give up on your plant, Gena....as long as it isn't going soft at the bottom, it can still shoot again...
My cutting didn't have any leaves and died back from the top until it was only 3ins high...then it sent out a shoot....
Never mind if you lose one pod, I'm sure that you will have lots more very soon...I started with 3...now I have only 1...maybe..lol

barmera, Australia

Dianne here are my Vulsa seedlings.

barmera, Australia

Sorry. Messed that up. Here they are. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Cairns, Australia

my cutting are doing well tho. there white single.

Thumbnail by Gena1234
Cairns, Australia

The seeding are looking good, and thank I will not give up hope.

Colleen, they look great....what surprises are in there.

Gena, your plants really are looking good too...
A good year ahead for us all.....

Cairns, Australia

Hope so, I cut one of my white ones back, it is a big y.

Thumbnail by Gena1234
Cairns, Australia

cuttings going well, just can not put a cutting in the rubbish, so I end up to many cutting. above the shed is one of my apricots all you can see is the trunk, in the wright hand corner of the shed just, the black pots are 4weeks old.

Thumbnail by Gena1234
Cairns, Australia

The black pots

Thumbnail by Gena1234
Cairns, Australia

Here is one of my apricot cuttings had leaves now balled. but still looking good.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena that's a big chop you gave your white one.....and if you can't throw Brug cuttings away, then you are officially a Brug nut like the rest of us...lol

Victoria, Australia

Nice vulas Colleen. Mine look similar currently.
Gena you are going to end up with a Brug forest!

West of Brisbane, Australia

Is it possible that those vulsa seedlings are only a few *months* old ...?

barmera, Australia

Cestrum my first 2 poked their heads through in early July, the rest followed a bit later and they have just grown. That's only about 7 weeks growth there. I hope I can keep them going. Here's a pic of my sanguinea from last year. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
barmera, Australia

another for Lucas to have a look at. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Victoria, Australia

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

For the arborea cutting I just stuck it in a pot of propagating sand in the shade with a baggy, nothing fancy.
Just potted it up before...

Jean, your (Perfect Harmony x The Chief) x GHA pod #2 seeds are thru...one of them popped into the world a couple of days ago and it's siblings quickly followed.

The tubes and tags that I bought from BGI have arrived....the tags are ideal..too high for Tilly to grab..
I should really look for the tags buried in the pots that are about to flower...but I don't want to upset the flowering....oh well I'll get a nice surprise.....

Colleen, we will look forward to the pic of your flower when it opens...I wonder what it is?
Here's Knightii again.....

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Merino, Australia

Great to hear Dianne. I have one up so not a total loss as yet. Maybe with a bit of warm the rest may follow. I have some of the US seeds up too. Another of Lucas' sangs has popped. up.
I put the colored baby and 3 other seedlings into big pots today. They are looking good so far. I used the mid size peat pots for the seeds, so just planted pot and all.
These peat pots are great as they hold together well but come apart easily . Not like the other awful ones with some sort of material around them.
Cant do that with the sangs as I put a few seeds in each pot hoping at least one would come up so now I will have to separate them when repotting as they grow. .Still a bit small yet .
A couple of buds fell of Waynes Giant in the wind the other day, but still a few there. As long as I get one to see it open.
I am disappointed in the candida x from France as it seems to be limp all the time. It has never looked as good as all the rest. Maybe the warm weather will help . Thats when any warm does get here. Just as it looks like warming up, in comes the cold again.
I still have a few of the larger seedlings that are 2-3 years old, that have not put out any new leaves as yet. Just a lot of 6' tall sticks . Very slow this year.
Jean

Sydney, Australia

Wonderful to see so much going on ...sorry I am missing in action.
Too many things to do right now but the nurse has left earlier today and I got a few mins outside to take a picture before the rest of the chopping ...sadly Musketeer was just starting up ...so wave bye bye :( ...for now ...^_^.
He is up way above my head so it's an awful picture as I am on tip toes and arm way up in the air ! You can see the storm and hail damage from the past weeks. Colouring up nicely though.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

But here is a real thrill for me ...I had almost given up on cestrum's 2nd Pink double cuttings because it was already cold when they had arrived and going from warm to cold is always a bit of a risk with warm climate cuttings. They looked like were not going to make it. So I put them into sand on a window ledge and only watered them a few drops at a time every couple of weeks through Winter. They looked to be nothing but sticks a week ago and I found trying to snap a bit off to check for life that there was a slight hold going on and put the dead sticks outside.
Well imagine my joy this morning (after a pretty tough week ) to find these dear little sticks are throwing out new leaves ...they are alive !.It never ever ceases to amaze me how tough these things are.
The true promise of Spring is in the fresh new baby leaves popping out of what seems to be desiccated sticks, life renews itself.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Awe I wanted to cuddle them but restrained myself I

⁀‵⁀) ✫ ✫ ✫LOVE
`⋎✫.**.✫
✫.**.✫ ✫LOVE
...**.✫ ✫ ✫ My Brugs ...thanks so much cestrum ...the first two D.Pink are powering away and did not blink in Winter.

Such a difference to arriving in the earlier than expected cold temps.They arrived in warm friendly temps.
I believe over watering in Winter kills more Brug cuttings and plants than almost anything else.

Sydney, Australia

Gena wow you are doing very well and are obviously a Brug lover too ...wonderful!

Dianne you can have a Y but miss tiny buds as they start to form because a critter/ muncher or the weather has knocked off the tiny new buds. It happened more easily to doubles simply because they are a heavier bud (I am guessing here) ...as a rule Fire Fighter Angel holds the buds very well for a double (often triple ) and luckily Twilight Time does too, compared to Twilight Time Fire Fighter Angel is a smaller bloom ...more refined features. I hope you get to see the FFA blooms this Spring everyone.
A tiny bud forms in the bottom of the v shape of the Y but is often lost.

As your new seedlings are announcing their first flushes, if they drop a bloom or two you can conduct an autopsy on the poor little thing and find out if it will be a double. I knew FFA would be a double because it dropped two blooms before it's first flush, I can't tell you how exciting that was (though I was terrified they would all drop off) ...the real shock came when it was coloured !
I hope everyone will be blessed with shocks like I had with my very first hybrid double (and only the second hybrid to bloom for me too ) ...cestrum knows what that feels like and hopefully it will something you will all be blessed with this coming season.
GOOD LUCK and Go the Aussie Brugs !!!! It's Spring !

Congrats on getting those cuttings to grow Chrissy, I was particularly interested when I saw the pics of them.....I thought that I was going to lose my Maya cutting as I explained before, it started about 30cm long and withered from the top until there was only a few cms left and it started to shoot at that small stage...

Yours have been different in that they look dried up, where as mine withered away.....if I hadn't cut off the withered parts as they died, I don't doubt that it would have died completely....I don't know what causes the withering or how to stop it...I have tried anti rot...it did nothing....so it's just luck or warm weather that decides to halt it.

I knew at the time that I shouldn't have tried the cutting, but as usual enthusiasm gets the better of me and I knew that I could get more cuttings....
It happened when I tried to strike Culebra and Fernando last year,Culebra withered away but luckily Fernando struggled on...he was very small when he decided to shoot..now he's a big boy with a Y.

I noticed those tiny buds,Chrissy, they happened on my Topsy...I had to put my glasses on to discern what they were....

Here is Maya, now well on her way....but definitely no more early winter cuttings for me...the Buck's Fizz cuttings that I took about 3 weeks ago look fine...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.