Photo by Melody

Canadian Gardening: What's happening in your neck of the woods friends , Fall/11

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 183, Views: 879
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 31, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8786812

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1205582/

Hope this works out :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 31, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8786819

Seems to have worked ...

I'm off to be a 'prep cook' .. offered stir fry for supper and now everyone is out and I am left to be the chopper, shredder, slicer !!! Something tells me my shoulder is going to groan over this !!!

Enjoy your day everyone :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8786871

Thanks, I started earlier today to switch over then got busy...LOVE the fall leaves..oh/oh it's a coming!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 31, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8787043

yes, it's a-coming We have rain from 3am today and it's now noon...
and it's only 8c! brrrrrr
I picked some mint this am and I'm going to make jelly!
Betty - sounds like you're doing a lot of work on your mom's b-day party - don't overdo!

Marilyn - same goes for you - don't overdo. Your poor shoulder!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8787181

Not hard work Susan, just keeps me busy!!! lol that I need, you know the old saying about the devil being unable to corner you if keep busy..out of mischief is my main goal.

No rain until Saturday/Sunday..
was thinking of going to look for wallpaper tonight for my bedroom, give it a new look..was really country and now I'm trying to modernize it..doing it in black/white/red..I'd say I'm 1/2 done..did the back bedroom a few months ago from country to modern and like it...

Might give me something to do this weekend.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 31, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8787488

Susan .. 8c at NOON~~~ we had 8C at 6am ... but it warmed up to 25C

As much as I do NO want to think about it, I know the leaves are going to start falling. My grands were here today and both are SO happy to be going back to school .. Brooklyn is going into grade 8 and can hardly wait to be done it so she can go into HIGH SCHOOL !! Austin is just missing his mates .. he's going into grade 5 and is filled with all sorts of ideas for science projects !!! Looking back, I don't think I was EVER excited to go back to school LoL

Stir fry turned out well .. and I DO have a bit of an angry shoulder .. but not quite as bad as I had thought ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 31, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8787506

Well, it's 7c now, and it's the Hot part of the day LOL
Leaves are falling here - just don't turn colour :-(
I used to love going to school - new outfits, and new friends!! And that was for all years except Grade 3

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 1, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8788930

Finally went and took a pic of the Sunflowers I have been talking about.
They were planted from seed, and ar well over 7-8' high .. just now heading up into flowers .. gonna be lotsa happy birdies around here ..

In the pic as well is one of those 'FAUX WASPS nests' .. now .. I have NO idea if that is what kept the wasps at bay this year (I have 2 up) .. but, the incidence of them buzzing along and through the patio has been diminished by I would say at least 80%

Looks like we MAY get a KABOOMER storm .. there's such a BEAUTIFUL breeze outside .. but the clouds are hovering overhead and the skies are darkening ..

Off to check on supper

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 1, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8789311

They are indeed tall.. I had several faux hives and I found them to work...they are very territorial and so once their hive has been deserted and they see these they move on..imagine someone thinking of manufacturing such a thing. Lol

Stayed home today, not up to par, slept all day and now I'm heading to bed but not sure I'm very tired..how were the pies "M"?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 1, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8789535

Hope you get the rain you want, Marilyn - gentle, soaking, rain with no damage!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 1, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8789635

So far NO rain or thunder boomers, in fact, it;s quite 'close' in the house .. perhaps it'll happen more towards morning.
Am going for a quick trip to the border to pick up a parcel .. would prefer not to have to drive in the rain!

The Blueberry pie was good Betty .. I think I may have enough to make ONE more, or, blueberry tarts perhaps .. will look up some recipes for them online now that I'm up for a bit.
Sure hope you feel better today ..

TGIF, hope everyone has a terrific LONG weekend :-)

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 2, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8790398

Guess I should not have been so quick to dimiss the weather .. this article is about MY area .. the storm narrowly missed us, but, we had ICE CUBE sized hail .. have a pic still on my camera. We sustained no damage, unlike some in the area ..
Scary stuff .. and .. both dogs knew something was UP well in advance of the storm ..
Here's the link ..

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/Default.aspx?cid=162041

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 2, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8790427

Did you send it my way "M" ..lightning in the sky, winds are up, humidity is highest it's been all summer! Something is brewing...

So glad I've nothing planned for the weekend..family is busy on last summer outing/school shopping etc soot will be me, myself and I..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 2, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8790445

Betty .. I would remove anything from outside that could sustain damage from BIG hail .. we were SO lucky .. only a few CHUNKS fell on our property !!

Stay safe

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 2, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8790565

Had the a/c off all week but just put it back on as it's just so hot/humidity have a glass liquid barometer and it's right over the top! With that being said I guess it's the reason for headache..time to take some meds...headaches always seem to be brought on by weather!

"M" there is so much out in my gardens that I wouldn't know where to start so I'll just have to take my chanced!

What do you all have planned for the weekend? Largest weekend project here is to cut the grass..Cathy hasn't been well lately and she comes over every Friday to do my lawns, this week I told her not to!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 2, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8790738

don't have anything planned for the weekend, Betty - looks like the weather will be warm though. Kinda looking forward to that, as it's been raining on and off for 3 days... some pretty big rain and wind, too. No T&L though, thank goodness!
I suppose I will make more fruit cakes for sale. I have two cooling right now.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8791223

I found you and though we still have almost 3 weeks to Fall, it's beginning to feel a bit like it around here at times.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8791323

We too are having fall temps with it being very cool in the evenings but the sun is warm during the day. We had some rain the past two days and now the weekend is supposed to be nice.
I'm off to do laundry and stuff.
Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8791349

Weather is much the same in all our neighborhoods.. It's overcast, feels as though it will downpour at any minute..still in my jammies, playing with sewing, if it weren't for the fact that I need a few groceries I'd be staying inthem all day. Had thought I'd drive to Meaford today but think I'll hold off, likely a lot of traffic.

So here I am, going through Christmas materials thinking of finishing up the 3 "12 month of Christmas" quilts I was doing..Barb, DG Friend who visited last week brought me an entire box of Christmas fabric seeing as none are in my fabric shops as yet, perhaps after Thanksgiving...don't they know that in order to make Christmas presses. We need supplies earlier in the year.

Just realized, didn't have breakfast, no wonder I'm hungry..

Gab after, enjoy your day!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8791781

CHRISTMAS ... glad there are folks like you in the world Betty .. I 'used' to enjoy Xmas .. but .. as the years moved along, and technology expanded, the whole 'Reason for the Season' seemed to get lost, and, with it, my 'spirit' .. I tend to go through the motions mostly now.

STELLAR day here .. 24C .. beautiful breezy day .. and have spent almost all of it outside .. am attaching a pic of Lorna MOWING the lawn in the dogs enclosure .. she kept bugging me to let her try, so I acquiesced and she did a super job :-)
Having a bonfire tonight ..

Off to rattle some dishes :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8791812

Lorna never ceases to amaze me!! What a gal...

I'm still a Christmas fanatic, do it while I can..am sure that one day I'll not be able to do what I now do..in the meantime I'll play elf!

Sun was out for first time today about 1/2 hour ago..didn't stay out long though.

A few drops (could count them) fell here and there but not enough to water the flowers so guess to or row morning I'll have to get out of this funk and water the gardens and cut the grass

Gee whizz, I must be bored, watched 'fried green tomatoes' this afternoon and now 'Star wars'. .? What is with that...oh yes, I'm too lazy to turn the channel

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8791898

me too, Betty - so busy making cakes, etc that I never changed the channel on my "background noise"! Kept it on The Food Network most of the day lol
I went out for an errand for Bob (he was doing a bit of a job for our neighbour and Bob needed screws, sandpaper and blackjack), now that he's paid, I will go get some rum for the Christmas cakes :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8791907

Must be something about the weather that has us thinking Xmas lol

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'd better think summer and work outside...sooo humid..maybe if it did rain we'd get rain the humidity would drop and it would be enjoyable

Have a drink before you add the cake. Lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8791912

lol I'd better go to the liquor store, and not keep thinking about the cakes - rather, I should be Doing LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2011
9:24 PM

Post #8792159

This was around the time of year my Mom made her Xmas fruit cakes, then put them in a crock to age .. have always said I'd do it one day .. but nver have ..

Say .. is Carol OK .. haven't seen her in the forum for a bit, but, she did say her brother was coming for a visit ..

Humidity is so oppressive .. always feel bad for people with breathing problems as humidity and wonkie lungs are NOT a good mix.

Another firefighter friend has passed away .. this fellow was just in his early 50s .. brain tumor. Starting to feel odd if we DON'T have a funeral to attend every week !!

Best settle in for a bit of a sleep on the love seat ..

Toodle loo

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8792529

When I get back from church, I'll call Carol and see if she's ok. I don't want to call before 10am on a Sunday in case she's still sleeping - it's the weekend, after all lol
If she doesn't post in the meantime, I'll let you know what I find out - unless of course she's white water rafting again, in which case I won't find her at home Or she's out in the garden - it's supposed to be a hot one today and after all the rain, she may be enjoying the outdoors!
Anyway - hope to have some good things to tell you.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8792574

Thanks Susan, don't we fret when our DG friends go missing??

Nice day being inside seeing as it's a rainy,humid day..seems I've kept myself busy this mornimg yet not accomplishing a whole lot! The furries are all snuggled in, even they prefer to be inside..

" M" sorry to hear of another friends passing..I have a funeral to attend tomorrow morning, old family friend. Does come to mind that we are of that age group! 50 is just too young!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8793205

Carol's not answering - I expect she's gone away for the long weekend?!?! anyway, I left a message.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 4, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8793221

I do remember her brother was coming for a visit (Carols) .. so could be she's busy with that. And, yes, we do worry about one another .. nothing wrong with that :-)

Well folks .. you'll NEVER guess what I HAD to do today !!! I had to turn the furnace from 'COOL' (as in air conditioning) to .. HEAT (as in, the furnace is set to come on overnight if need be) !!!!
Went out walking today and caught a wicked chill .. noticed the lower leaves on some of the brush have changed colour .. I don't even want to think about what that means !!
BBQ'd with a sweat shirt and track pants on as well.

Tomorrow it's off to a country fair .. its 99th year .. always a nice time :-)

TTFN

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 4, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8793303

Im fine folks. Thanks for worrying about me and thanks for calling Susan. Brother was here last weekend and the rest of the week I have just not been doing much- lurking here but not posting.

I bought a new sleep chair, a replacement for my moms sleeper sofa which was a double . The chair is a chair and a half with a single bed, takes up about 1/3 less room but then of course I had to go out and buy a lamp and twin bed sheets!.They took my old sofa away which was nice, it was in good shape and they give it to charity ( Lazy Boy is the store) so I did not have to bother trying to sell it of give it away.

Thursday I finally got Sassy into the groomer so they could brush her our and clip up her back end. Poor girl was getting so tired of me washing her bum she would not come when I called! She was quite snappy with the groomer but they can deal with that better than I can.

A couple of rainy days last week but nice since then. Working at LH today, very busy.

Next week start going to the denturist to have new dentures made. I lost so much weight last winter mine dont fit right any more. Have been putting it off but cant put it off any longer.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2011 5:02 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8793624

So glad you're fine, Carol. I didn't realize you'd have to get new dentures for losing/gaining weight! I figured your jawline/gums would stay the same no matter what your weight was.
How was your visit with your brother - was he ok with the dog hair?
I'll bet Sassy is more comfortable now that she's trimmed "back there" lol

~M~ it's getting cool here too, in the morning - down to 3c, and then back up to 27c f'pete's sakes! But then... that's Calgary for ya - even in the winter, when we have chinook winds you can start out with a parka and then end up in t-shirt and shorts by supper time!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 5, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8793818

Morning all, wondering why I have A/C on when it feels cool out there but weather is so changeable, by 10:00am or so it will be so hot!

Glad to hear to are ok Carol and that you've enjoyed your visit with your brother. As for the dentures, my denturist once told me you should have them replaced ever ten years or so but who can afford that? I had mine redone about 8 years ago, because part of my gum line no longer exists they had to all but fill it in so they would fit..I'm one of the luck ones, no problems with them, never take them out except to clean and can eat anything with them.

Winds up, look outside and see no signs of light in any of the homes, just this silly lady who could be snuggled in sleeping late is up for no reason..of course I have to be doing something so I'm knitting. Lol

Hope you all have something fun to fill in your day!! Enjoy

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8794704

My DH always takes his dentures out at bedtime and puts them back in, in the am.
My mom never takes hers out except to clean.
They both eat anything with them, except my DH gets soooo many seeds stuck inside...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 5, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8794720

That you do Susan..furnace is on and I'm almost tempted to get an afghan to worm me up!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8794784

Bettypauze wrote:That you do Susan..furnace is on and I'm almost tempted to get an afghan to worm me up!

ewwwwwww I wouldn't want to be wormed up!! LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 5, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8794840

Lol. Told you the ipd can't spell half the time
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 5, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8794958

Truth is I dont wear my teeth most of the time, never around the house although if somebody who does not know me is coming in I put in the uppers! The denturist said they looked almost new when she first saw me and they are probably almost 15 years old! I like to eat without them too although if I am going to eat in public I glue them in otherwise the bottoms just pop up and down! There's a few things I learned not to try to eat in public like peanut butter and caramels! Even with them in I cannot comfortably eat nuts which I love. Corn on the cob is a bit difficult but I manage with just the uppers- somehow it never tastes quite the same if I cut it off the cob!

I was always told to remove my teeth at night .

And the denturist told me a loss of more than 15-20 lbs will change the shape of the jaw sufficiently that they wont fit properly.

When I was in hospital last year I never had them in the whole time ( cant wear them if I am feeling ill) and the morning I left I put them in and gave everybody a big smile as I departed!

A nice weekend weather wise here. Did a bit of gardening this morning, digging up some plants to pot up for plant share on the weekend and finally planted the two evergreen ground covers I bought a month ago! Other wise we have been just lying around reading or napping or sitting and staring into space!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8794969

ah - good, you've vindicated my sister who's grossed out that my mom leaves hers in all the time LOL
I wonder if weight gain has the same effect, Carol. My Bob has gained about 15 lbs since he got his dentures (I was told it's my good cooking - HA! He eats too many sweets is what it is, and I don't normally do a lot of baking - he buys it!)
I went to my veggie garden and weeded... and my zucchini and cucumbers are doing well. Neither are big enough for me to pick yet (well, maybe, but Just!) so I'm just watering them for now. My potatoes are looking a bit sad - probably because I picked baby potatoes and wasn't able to set the plants back properly, but I suppose the potatoes are still growing underneath?!
My raddichio is looking good, but one of my tomato plants died - not enough water I guess, and I wasn't getting to it often enough.
I won't plant bok choy again - all stem, leaves and flowers - no veggie. I won't plant root celery again either - it just looks like one tiny plant with stems, no celery stick thingies. It doesn't even look like the roots would be worth anything - too small a plant.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 5, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8794980

I would think each has to find what works best for them..

Just realized that it was a long weekend and only time I was outside was to go to Walmart and groceries, all of one hour..what a waste of a long weekend.

Every year I debate wether I should plant a veggie garden but for one there is no sense

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 5, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8794982

Nice to see you posting Carol .. good luck with the dentures .. I know they can cause problems now and again, my Mom used to hate hers, and I was fascinated with them .. kept asking her when my turn would come LoL ..

Super nice day at the Fair .. weather was 'stellar' :-) high of 18C .. cool crisp breeze .. lots of folks and food and farm animals ... did I mention FOOD LoL

All in all a good weekend ..

Lots of little ones must be anticipating the first day of school tomorrow .. brings back memories ..

Hope everyone has a great upcoming week

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 5, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8794995

Fair circuit started here as well "M"... You must have kept all the nice Ontario weather for yourself. Watch if it's not a sunshine day tomorrow.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 6, 2011
12:43 AM

Post #8795496

Murphy's Law Betty .. 'the first day back to work after a 'bad weather' holiday weekend, is, beautiful '!!

Busy week on tap, sure hope I am UP for it .. physio 3x and Lorna has a follow up gyne appt as well as blood work and a visit to the prosthetist to have her prosthesis evaluated .. it's a bit loose ..

Must be 'something' out back as both dogs are fussing, I turned the floods on , and that's as far as I will investigate at this hour without back up LoL

The shoulder is S L O W L Y coming around .. I do doubt it will EVER be 100% better, but, I can, and WILL live with even 50% better. Going to have to be aware of anything I do, or intend to do, that involves its usage.

Take care all :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 6, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8795921

Glad you are felling better "M"' that alone should give you. Something to smile about today! Hope all doctors results come back without a problem..

Last night I received a pre recorded notice from community watch, apparently there have been many coyotes roaming the streets where I live, warning us to keep our furries indoors. Apparently one is injured and not sure if there is rabies..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8796006

oh my Betty - we have coyotes here too, and people are warned not to leave their pets outside. Most of the dogs here are little ones and would be a big snack for a coyote!

Marilyn - you're right, of course - 50% better is still "better", right?! I pray your shoulder will heal much better than that - perhaps 90%!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 6, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8796336

Someone put the coffee on, or, boil the kettle for a cuppa .. I came home from physio and lo and behold ..MORE blueberries were left for us ..
So .. I made TARTS .. lots and lots of tarts ... would love to share with you as the berries are so lovely !!!
I am sending a pic (or 2) .. cyberly enjoy :-)

Physio was BRUTAL .. but .. 'NO pain, NO gain' .. I do find I have more unrestricted mov't .. so .. finger crossed!

Yikes .. Coyotes ? We have the ever present Timber wolves around this area .. the farmers will shoot first and ask questions last where they are concerned. .. far too many precious milking cows and beef cattle in this neck of the woods, as well as pets and children.

Feel for Lorna .. she sees the gyne tomorrow .. will know the results of her ultra sound done last week .. if he isn't happy she will be having a 'procedure' in the office a tad more invasive than a PAP .. so .. think positive thoughts that he is happy with the results !!!

Off to cook dinner ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8796382

positive thoughts and prayers for Lorna - I know this is a scary concept...
mmmmmmmm blueberry tarts!!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 7, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8797535

Morning all, just made the 50's this morning...brrrr...not fond of having to wear heavy clothing, best thank my lucky stars I'm not having to wear snow boots..

Yummy, yummy in the tummy..those tarts have my mouth watering!

Sending prayers for Lorna...may she have good results

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 7, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8797653

It's 20c (68F) here, and not even 11am!
It's supposed to get to 28c (82F) but I'm sure it will get hotter.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 7, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8797700

YAHOO!!! All clear with Lorna, nothing 'invasive' happened, and she was SO happy if she could have SKIPPED out of the clinic she would have, so, I did it for her (after there was nobody around) LoL

Gord is out picking Highbush Cranberries, so, I take it my afternoon will be spent making jelly IF I have enough sugar ..

Headed up to 29C here today, a fantazmaglorical typa day :-)

Thanks for everyones positive thoughts .. they WORKED !!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 7, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8797924

Wonderful news "M" I'm skipping for her as well..now what kind of berries are those..meant to add, Lord does have miracles for the asking (prayers) ...

I've a crabapple tree just ladden with apples, poor limbs are touching the ground..don't know anyone who would want them..guess if I just leave them the birdies will feast all winter..

Susan, guess we'll be having lots of those days where it's cool evenings and mornings with afternoon sunshine...

I've a long sleeved blouse on and I still feel chilled..perhaps someone should tell them to turn their a/c off lol

you sampling those cakes?

This message was edited Sep 7, 2011 4:12 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 7, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8798170

LOL M fantazmaglorical day, eh? Here, too! 29c!!
Nope, not sampling - made sure they were cool, and will soak 'em every Friday, and have 'em in a lower cabinet (heat rises, doncha know, and need to keep 'em mold-free!! Not that mold will happen with all that rum!!)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Lorna!! So glad there's nothing invasive - if I could skip, I would!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 7, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8798208

Never thought about them going moldy Susan...

Kyle just left after getting the laptop I bought today up and running..the knowledge these kids have is mind boggling, after he downloaded everything he was doing this and that, couldn't even see what he was doing let understand it..told him to show me a few things at a time instead of same night...he forgets grandma is old lol

Tired so it's an early night..working from home so easy day tomorrow!

Hope you've all had a good day

Night/night

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 7, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8798274

I'm not so sure they Could, with all the alcohol in them lol. Anyway, I keep them in a cool spot, and they're cooled before I seal them anyway.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 8, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8798804

Morning all

Happy day, even though it's overcast and a chill in the air, am working from home today and likely tomorrow so makes for an enjoyable 4 days...as I look out I see the sun trying it's best to peek out but not so sure it can...

I'll get the floors done, some dusting and then I'll spend the day sewing, have to be inside should someone call so I have enough to keep me busy for sure.

What is in your plans for today..anything special?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 8, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8798824

Looks like another 'stellar nothern ontario' day .. sun is shining and highs near 26C are expected.

I am off to physio later this morning, then home to make more cranberry jelly ..had to stop at 7 jars yesterday as I ran out of sugar.
Am thinkin I'll be giving away lots as there's noway we'll consume this much cranberry jelly !! LoL
Messy little venture I must say .. almost looked as though someone had been slain in my kitchen at one point !!!

Off n runnin

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 8, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8798940

Drats, now if I lived closer I could enjoy a jar...any idea what I can do with a zillion crabapples?

Sun is finally making it's way through the clouds..looked at the weather station, sunshine day tomorrow and Saturday..clouds on Sunday and light chance if rain..

Time for breakfast...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 8, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8799397

crabapple jelly comes to mind, and can't you just freeze the crabapples to work with them later, too? I know you can do that with tomatoes...

Went to Bible Study this am, and 2nd choir practice of the season tonight... today I'm housecleaning lol :-D

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 8, 2011

Post #8799462

You sure are keeping busy Susan..were you not suppose to hear any day about one of those jobs?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 8, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8799470

Bob just told me 3/4 of an hour ago about my getting a call 3 hours previously from one of them. Now I can't get through to the woman who called (she's one of the Shannons, re: Care Home position she wanted to put my name forth for.)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 8, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8799488

Isn't that something, hope it's to say you got the job..that would make you and Dave..things come in 3's

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 8, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8799640

I didn't get the job - she phoned to say the company got someone on their own, without the use of her Employment Agency.
Never mind - something will come about.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8799840

I don't think you can freeze the crabapples, but you can freeze the juice and make the jelly later.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 9, 2011
4:24 AM

Post #8800210

Betty, I once soaked crabs in a mixture of brandy and cinnamon sticks, in a huge glass pickle jar. After a month or so had passed I tried one, not too bad, certainly took my breath away, but, for the life of me, I could NOT decide how to serve them. As a result, they sat and sat, and got shifted about, and , finally I threw them out
Lotsa folks up this way make crabapple jelly ..

Susan, good luck with the job market search. Was going to suggest a stint with 'Elections Canada, but, I don't think Alberta is 'IN' on the October election.

Off to take Lorna for her blood work, then some shopping, home to check on the dogs and then back to town for an appt with the prosthetist .. her prosthesis needs some further tweaking as it's gettting a bit loose.
Have decided to pick up some Thai food for supper as it is AGAIN going to be another scorcher here. I have a feeling we may have hit a record high yesterday .. in the low 30s !!

TGIF

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 9, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8800214

I'm just hoping Ann that leaving them on the tree might give birdies something to eat this winter..concerned if I don't take them off the tree it will damage it come spring.

How have you been? I always get so excited when I see your posts, you are always up to something so exciting!

It's a sunshine day in my neighborhood..will work from home again today! Almost feel guilty staying home, Monday being a holiday, then home working yesterday and then again today!

Might give me time though to organize my thoughts on mom's 80th birthday celebration I'm having here a week tomorrow...much to do but most of it cannot be done until Friday/Saturday but if everything is on a 'to do and need list' it will make things less confusing!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 9, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8800224

Wow "M" you sure have had a sopummer to remember weather wise. They were saying just the other day that we'll have a hotter than normal fall and very dry...could it last until Christmas Eve?? Not sure why but for the very first time in many many years I'm looking forward to winter...crazy isn't it? Maybe because if all goes according to plan I can just stay home and work ad not worry about driving.

Hmmm never imagined that once you had a prosthesis limb it would mean so many tweaks..

Enjoy your day in the sunshine and especially not having to cook tonight.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8800735

Marilyn- we are in the Election - just that Alberta doesn't do a lot of letting the citizens know LOL I keep getting a call from someone wanting me to vote for them (they leave a voice mail cuz for some reason they always call when I'm out...). I've never worked for Elections Canada, but I heard it's difficult to get on and I would likely start stuffing mailboxes and my legs could never take it!

Well, back to my applique work on my Chartiy Quilt squares!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 9, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8800781

Hi Guys
Popping in to say I've been lurking and now I'm off to Kaui for a Niece's wedding. Be back in a week! My DH is staying home and will tend the garden.
Aloha
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8800839

Aloha Hawaii bound, Ann!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 9, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8800907

I don't think Alberta has a provincial election until 2012. What we do have going is Liberal and Conservative 'races' for leadership.

Having a busy time with appointments. Started the new denture procedure on Tuesday, have had 2 of 5 regular appointments ( making molds) should be all done towards end of month.The clinic is only about 3 blocks away so I can walk over.
Also went to see my doc this morning for a req for regular 3 month blood work ( prediabetc) and last lab results were normal! If this one is also normal will go to testing every 6 months.
She also took a look at a funny growth I have on my face on the temple and thinks it looks like a basal cell carcinoma so a biopsy next week and might have to go to a dermatolgical surgeon to get total removal.
Very common, not a huge concern.
And my leg is doing very nicely but always feels a bit weak so accupuncturist suggests go back to physio to get some strengthening exercises which I will do next week!
Oh and my doc has prescribed an antidepressant meds as I seem to have been rather depressed this summer.
Lots going on medically speaking.

Finished going thru the clothes closet, passed on lots of things to Sally Anne and have about half a dozen items to be altered. Then I will go shop for a few new winter pieces.
Next agenda item is to pull out all the packed stored china down in the basement and make a decision if I want to keep any of it.
Finally booked my flights to Toronto- going for about a week just after Thanksgiving. Just long enough to visit with family and a few friends.
Here's the new ( twin) sofa bed- about 1/3 shorter than the older one. That left space to move the file cabinet to a more convenient spot and serves as side table too.

Have a great time in Hawaii Ann!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 9, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8801035

Alberta Ann, have a wonderful time! Does your niece live in Hawaii..wow..that is exciting!

Carol, I would think after all you have recently gone through it would be enough set you into a depression..hope the meds help! Wonderful that the blood tests have come back with good results..you must dread these check ups.

Love the new twin sofa bed..gives you room should someone visit and more room on a daily basis.

What end of Toronto are you traveling to? Nice time to travel!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 9, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8801055

Betty I will be in Mississauga

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 9, 2011
10:06 PM

Post #8801686

Alberta Ann, have an amazing time in Kaui .. I hope your niece's wedding is beautiful ... with a setting like that, how could it not be.
Travel safe.

Carol, nice sofa bed. I had a queen sized one once, my goodness was it heavy .. gave it away and bought a day bed with a trundle, now I'm thinking of replacing that with a large Lazy Boy chair that you can sleep in. Would give me more room .. only thing is, I really LIKE the day bed .
Enjoy your time 'down east' ..
Was pretty sure re the election and Alberta ... each day here there are more and more signs popping up here, and, as you can imagine, the political rhetoric on TV and radio is getting more and more annoying.

Betty, Lorna will not be 'in' her final, complete prosthetic leg for another year !!! Hard to believe huh?
Friday the prosthetist lined the socket (the part her residual leg goes into) to make it snugger .. as the residual leg shrinks in diameter, more tweaking will be needed .. it's quite the procedure I can assure you.. She is extremely happy with the fit right now, but will have to put up with a wee bit of discomfort over the weekend as her stump re settles.

The Thai food was so so. I have no allergy or sensitivity to peanuts, but, I think my digestive system would prefer I NOT eat foods cooked with 'peanut oil' .. just a bit heavy .. the Spring Roll was good though.

Am trying the 'delay' feature on my washing machine for the first time. If all goes according to plan, it should come on at 6am .. with hydro wanting people to follow their schedule I now find doing laundry on weekends a bit much .. if this feature works well, I can throw in extra loads during the week .. I hang the laundry on the line as opposed to using the dryer 90% of the time.

Here I be, up sharing the gorgeous full moon with Lilly on my lap and an ice pack on my shoulder .. I am noticing a bit of a difference in range of motion re the shoulder now, crossing my fingers it continues ..

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend ..

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 10, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8801843

BONK BONK BONK !!! Back to the drawing board with the DELAY feature and the washer .. I woke up at 6:15am and thought I'd hear something, nope, got up and looked and the machine had shut off .. so .. I started it myself .. musta missed a step :-(

Looks like another beauteous day ...

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 10, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8801905

Absolutely a gorgeous day here, sun is so bright this morning that all the green are brilliant in shades of color, add a few leaves that are turning and it's nothing but spectacular...

"M" I'm pretty good T doing anything I want but vcr's, stove/washing machines and the likes, NO GO! I must miss a lot of steps..

That is a long time to wait for it..will she have the replace now and again or will it simply mean different pads..guess like gums with false teeth, the shrink, would imagine the stub changes as well..just things you never think of.

Sounds as though you've rested your shoulder a good amount of time and with exercises you are now on the mend..now don't you go and do something you should not be doing..lol

I'm in slow motion mode today, still in jammies, curling my hair and debating wether or not I want to drive to town..should really go order all the food trays/cake/buns and corsages for mom' 80th next Saturday..that way I can cross it off my list of todo's...know it will cost more going into hers and ordering the lot but my thoughts are it will be a one stop pick up of supplies, isn't that worth the extra dollars?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 10, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8801968

Marilyn that is a LazyBoy chair with a twin bed.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 10, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8802155

'Paint me green and call me Gumby' yet again!!! Read the MANUAL .. seems after I selected the delay time I was to have also pressed 'START" .. live and learn ..

Carol .. exactly how does the 'bed' section pop out ? Like a Lazy Boy ? Or do you have to pull it out like a sofa bed ?

Betty, ONE STOP shopping/pick up is the way to go :-) Think what you save on gas !!!

Out to putz around on the property .. MAY have a wedding party stopping by to do some pics out back .. never sure, I always say just do NOT open the dog compound .. the back is looking so pretty right now .. would love to see a blushing bride and the giggly bridesmaids .. would make my day ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8802174

~M~ Glad your shoulder is on the mend, Marilyn - keep icing it in the full moon - that may be the trick lol
LOL on the RTFM (Read the F*** manual) lol My DH doesn't like them, but I do - I figure I waste more time Not reading it.
Lovely chair/bed, Carol. Enjoy your time in Mississauga!

Well, I'm off to see why my computer doesn't have internet - I'm on Bob's and we're connected to the same internet...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 10, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8802395

You'll be excited if it works early mornimg "M"..

I've got my order in for the platters here in town, biggest plus is if they are paid for it only takes 5 minutes to pick them up and I don't have to wonder where to chill them until mid-afternoon! while in town, 2nd time around today I stopped into the bakery, yikes they wanted 60-70 for a large slab of cake...outrageous! So it's back with plan A getting it at Zehrs, 1/2 the price.

Don't you feel rewarded when you are asked if pictures can be taken in your yard...what a lovely day for a wedding..if they come up you will have to take a couple of your own.

Just too a few photo's outmback, there are notmmany left. This week i'll pick up 6 or 7 to set around the yard to give the grounds more color for the birthday party.

Susan, hope you get back on line...

Back to yard duty!

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 10, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8802479

Marilyn the seat cushion comes off and it pulls out like a sofa bed.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2011

Post #8802487

I'm back - while I was using my DH's computer and posting - my internet decided to pop back on... dunno what was up with that!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 10, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8802627

When next I need a chesterfield Carol I'm thinking of getting something similar..the big couch,love seat and arm chair takes so much space in the family room.

Glad you are up and running Susan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8802693

well, I'm up, but with my bronchial cough, I'm not running... feeling a little run-down, actually...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 10, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8802744

I say 'running' because you are like an energizer bunny running on batteries...I'm starting to feel lazy after hearing all you do!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8802755

lol well, I just cleaned the inside of my car - vaccuumed and used "spot shot" on the carpets, and upholstery, and used Orange Clean on the hard surfaces. I'm about done in - so tired and only did the inside... geeze - what would I be like if I had washed the outside?!?!?!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8803366

Morning..

Watching 9/11 Memorial ..prayers for the families who are remembering and re-living the events of 10 years ago and for the heroes who lost their lives...both American and Canadian!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 11, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8803551

Beautiful service or Remembrance .. I think everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing 10 years ago on this date.

Another VERY warm day here .. I take it NorthWestern Ontario is setting records these past few days ..

What an amazing moon out there last night !!!!

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8803588

Kids all came over this morning now all out on bike trail..unexpected visit by all but nice..now I know why I cook so much when I do cook...homemade stew..sure smells yummy! Guess this beautiful weather has everyone enjoying!

Should be outside, still much to do before next weekend...

Did run into town before 8am and habpve everything ordered between yesterday and today..so Saturday should be well organized for mom's 80th.
Now if it's a sunshine day it will be perfect!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 12, 2011

Post #8805438

Hope the stew was good Betty .. usually always is ..

WEATHER change here .. cooler .. and, a thunder boomer on tap for later. Add to that a forest fire burning just about 20 miles north of us and it's kind of a dreary day.
As well, a home about a quarter mile west of us burned to the ground around 6am this morning .. heard the fire engines and had NO idea .. seems lucky no one was injured .. but the house is just sticks !!!

Physio was challenging .. Mondays are always the worst .. but, as the week wears on I creek back to life LoL
See my doc tomorrow .. and will try and find out if he'll order an MRI, and then something to knock me out before I go into it !! I have claustrophobia to the MAX !!! Since it's my shoulder, my face would be covered .. soooooooooooo .. gonna have to do some heavy thinkin on it too ..

Best get a handle on supper before the storm hits

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 12, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8805643

hit some rain coming home from work bit it's sunshinenhere so west watered everything ...trying to keep a few flowers alive until mom's party Saturday. Started to burn rubbish in back pit but too damp ..had hoped I could clean it out before the weekend but think it is a no go!

Sorry to hear about the fires "M", thank goodness no one lost their lives..hoping they don't get any closer to you..

I feel for you..had that MRI and I'm not claustrophobic and I had a terrible time! Got to say I will have to be next to dying before I'd get it done again!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 13, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8807187

HELP!!!!!!!!!
Anyone got a 'clue' on how to THICKEN jelly ? I made more cranberry jelly, I guess the berries have ripened and changed .. this batch did NOT set (thicken)
I am going to put the jelly back in the pot and redo it .. BUT .. there are so many options .. add more sugar, add more pectin ..??
Anyone had any experience with this ?

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 13, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8807214

try adding a little lemon, and more sugar, while cooking it some more.
Lemon apparently helps the pectin set, so you don't need to add more pectin.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 13, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8807216

oh, and did you process it in a hot water canner?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 13, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8807439

M check on the pectin website- I think they give suggestions about what to do if it does not thicken.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 13, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8807446

Well I started the antidepressant meds Sat night. I a on the lowest does for one month while body gets used to it, then will increase. Sat night had lots of nausea and finally got up and took gravol, but during the day I am constantly drowsy and wanting to sleep in fact that is what I did most of Sunday. Gets a bit better each day .
Monday I started physio for the back/leg issue, have exercises to do twice a day, always tough to get me to do that but I will persevere.
Today had the 3rd dental session and then to the doc to have the basal cell carcinoma removed, will not have biopsy results for 2-3 weeks she says.
Tomorrow I cancelled my accupunture and am just staying home. Have a couple of peony roots to get in the ground as they arrived last week. It has been rather cold and miserable here, hope it improves tomorrow. I hear some areas in eastern AB and Sask had frost and there was snow in some areas of Manitoba!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 13, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8807539

oooooh Carol - sorry to hear you're going through depression - I know it's been tough on you lately, but didn't realize it had gotten so bad. ((((((((Carol)))))))))) I'll keep you in my T&P

Yikes - I'd heard there was frost in Edmonton last week, but hope we can stave it off for awhile longer in Calgary - at least until after the weekend, so I can get plants in (have some re-potting/pulling up to bring into the house).
My datura has a bloom on it (the one in a pot) but my brugs aren't budding yet. One has to be potted as it's in the ground, and I know it won't bud this year. It's quite large though...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 13, 2011
11:29 PM

Post #8807646

Susan and Carol .. thanks for the info .. am going to re do everything this afternoon .. I sure hope it thickens, be a shame to have to label it 'PANCAKE SYRUP', specially since we don't consume many pancakes in this house.
Apparently, the ripening of the fruit is the root cause of the lack of thickening this time round. Kind of fascinating to read about fruits interaction with sugars etc ..

Well .. I am awaiting a call/mail to tell me the date for my shoulder MRI .. I also have meds to be used as sedation prior to it .. not fussy on them though, but, am surely not wanting to become overly stressed .. wouldn't it be lovely if the MRI was able to just scan the one area asked for .. kind of like an XRay .. then there'd be none of this being placed into a 'tube'

WHOA is it windy here tonight .. and .. the temps are lowering .. will reboung this weekend though but only to the low 20s
There has been snow (light and non sticking) in some more northerly areas .. and FROST is in the forecast for Tursday morning ..

YAWN ... gonna try for a bit of sleep sitting up :-(

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 14, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8808311

Well .. it's a 'done deal' .. I RE made the jelly .. added more sugar and lemon .. cooked it longer .. jarred it, put it in the hot water bath, and am now hearing the lids seal "POP" !! We'll see if it thickens, or, if I do indeed have syrup. If the latter happens I'll be looking for recipes to use the 'stuff' in .. as I read it, the berries ripened as they sat in the bowl which decreases the pectin in them which in turn decreases the ability to thicken .. live and learn :-)

Sure having a hecuva fall day here .. sunny with a brisk wind .. downright NICE :-)

Making a Taco Salad for supper .. haven't made one in years .. best get on with it ..

TTFN

~M~

PS .. hope you're feeling better Carol .. and thanks again to you and Susan for the advice re the jelly.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 14, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8808520

Evening all, yikes yesterday I was in summer garb, this morning dressed for the fall and now, wouldn't hurt to put a jacket on...wind is high, looks like rain..great night for cuddling..guess that is why I have a kitty at my side.

"m" I have problems as well getting my jams to thicken..think that is why I do freezer jams.

I see on the weather channel that norther Ontario and areas of Alberta could have frost..souks falls had a few flurries as well as Jeralton (?)

I was thrilled to see sunshine predicted for Saturday..icon stayed the same till late afternoon, now it's overcast..watch it change tomorrow to rain! Drats

You would thing with all the technology they could have almost like the gateway you are checked at the airport..simply walk in slowly and it does a total build up of you body so they can see every part of you on a monitor. 3d no less...I'd go for that..you know my thoughts on MRI. but then I never tried sedatives!

Carol, sorry to hear you are feeling down..you've had so much to contend with..perhaps for a few weeks it will do you good to rest and gain some strength..terrible how they give meds to help one ailment and it causes 3 more.

Both you and Susan will have to start bringing in your potted plants..hear that you are having cold nights much like we are..trees out front are blowing and bending with the wind..cold inside so guess it's time to put the heat on!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 14, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8808698

~M~ if you overrippen the fruit, you're right, it won't thicken as well because it doesn't have a lot of natural pectin anymore. According to a book I was lent today, you could also include some partially ripened fruit as well...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 14, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8808898

Started to warm up this afternoon, hope I can get those peonies in the ground tomorrow. I have two and there are 6 more to come probably not for another 2-3 weeks.

Feeling much better today, did not nap until late afternoon which is normal for me.

This morning I went out and bought a pedal exerciser. Physio suggested a stationary bike but that means going to a gym, not my thing. She said this would be OK too. Nice thing is I can just have it sitting in front of my lazy boy and pedal away while I watch TV!

Just talking to a family who is surrendering a 10 month old pup to us! Poor decision on their part, at least he is still young enough it will be easy to get him trained. And probably easy to find him a home too.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 14, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8808996

10 mo old pup? They probably got it thinking it was a good thing for their family, and now realize it's more work than they bargained for... silly people! You'd think adults would think these things through...
It's going to be much warmer tomorrow, Carol - 23c they say! Better take advantage of it now, and I think this may be the last we get for Quite awhile...
Pedal, m'girl, Pedal!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 15, 2011
3:33 AM

Post #8809108

Ohhh 47 degrees here this morning, up goes the furnace to take the chill away! So dark outside, sure reminds you that fall is just around the corner!

carol, so many exercise machines/bikes on the market but they take up so much room...I bought a wii fit program and for awhile I was doing exercising every morning and then got lazy..best I get back at it, could be why the pounds are adding up!

Was looking in the pet store the other day and saw families looking in at the kitties and puppies, all saying 'I want, I want' and wondered how many would give in, get a pet and realize within a few months it wasn't for them? Perhaps that is what happened with this family...just a pup so should be easy to find a permanent home right? Do you have a list of names of people wanting to be matched up with a dog?

Glad you are feeling better Carol...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 15, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8809953

33.3F here this morning Betty .. furnace came on at 3am and ran off and on til after 8am .. HEAVY frost ..

Am , on the fly here .. I don;t know if you can read the recipe in this pic, if not, I can post it ..
5 minute chocolate cake in a mug made in the microwave .. just HAD to try it .. and .. it worked !!!

Let me know if you want the recipe posted ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 15, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8809955

OOPS .. kinda teeny huh ? I'll post the recipe after .. SOooooooooooooo easy :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 15, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8809978

When I enlarge it goes fuzzy "m". Yikes frost? Weren't you just saying how hot the days were...weather changes high's/lows daily..never know how to dress

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 15, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8809988

I'd like to see the recipe posted too, ~M~!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 15, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8810358

Here's my little exercise machine in place, all ready to go.Friend suggested I pedal during ads while watching TV- that should give me the right amount of time per day! It is accumulative so I just need to try to do abut 20 minutes per day!

Lovely day here, got my two peony roots planted and some trimming started in the front beds.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 15, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8810385

oh NEAT!! nice and compact! I have a stepper that I used last night. I Could Not get a tiny nerve in my thigh to settle down, and I know that means I will not get to sleep. The other night I didn't get to sleep until 3:30 am because of it.
Well, last night I got on the stepper for 10 minutes, and I'll be darned if that didn't settle down that annoying nerve!
I've tried stretching, etc, but that never works, nor does my hand held massager. But, the stepper Did work, so I'm going to get on it every night before I go to bed and see if it continues to help.
btw - as it's a stepper, I have to stand to use it. Your recumbent pedaller looks like it would be more likely to be used.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 15, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8810404

Here's the recipe :-)

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug (MicroSafe)

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well..
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again..
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT !
(this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).

This is as easy as it sounds, and tastes like a cylindrical 'brownie'. The one I made fed 3 people

ENJOY!!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 15, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8810420

yummmmmmy sounding, ~M~!!
I shall have to try it this weekend!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 16, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8810639

Yummy, must give it a try..mind if I post recipe on another thread?

Carol, very compact..now that is more in tune to what I would use..who knows maybe all this talk of exercise will have me turning on the wiifit!

Yikes, frost in my region, hate to go look at my gardens, was hoping there would still be flowers in bloom for mom's party tomorrow..will wait until I have my coffee before checking it out, don't want to spoil my morning coffee..

Off to check weather for tomorrow??

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 16, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8810696

Betty .. fingers and toes crossed for you for a picture perfect day tomorrow .. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your Mom, and Kudos and hugs for you for all your planning and arranging.
You might remember about 2 summers ago I planned a June 'outdoor party' .. Gord's BDay, Lorna's parents were here, just a first party of summer .. sent out invites, made phonecalls, placed orders etc .. 7 days before we had a DELUGE of rain .. for 2 days straight !! The property was a quagmire .. :-(
I had to cancel .. still am using the paper plates and fancy serviettes !!!

Re the Cake in a Mug .. I used dark chocolate choc chips, next time I would use just 1-2 tablespoons of them, made it too sweet I think, but, all in all .. when eaten warm, WOW .. a good recipe !!

Busy day on the menu ...

TGIF

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 16, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8810915

Well, think Mother Nature is on our side..not the hottest of days nut that is ok..shows a bit of cloud so unless a storm is brewing and moves in quickly it will be fine! Ahhh too bad you had to cancel yours.what I did is rent a hall just incase..covered all the basis!

I'll make note of your suggestions on recipe..can't try this weekend but can make sure I've all the supplies!

Break is over, time to see what else I can get into!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 16, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8811815

Betty .. wishing you a day filled with sunshine .. make some great memories.
I never thought to rent a hall when I planned that party ... seems ages ago now .. I should really try it again maybe next summer ..

Another heavy frost happening here tonight overnite .. third night in a row .. lots of 'blackened' plants ready to be chucked ..

Helping out at a yard sale in support of Hospice in the morning, and here I am .. UP! I HAD been asleep, but my shoulder saw fit to entice me to get up ..
I must say, the 'new drug' .. actually an 'old school' anti inflammatory called 'INDOCID' is taking the edge off much better than ANY of the narcotics I had taken .. BUT (always THAT but) .. it sure plays havoc with me belly despite taking it with food ..

Best either nod off, or crawl back into bed with my furry entourage ..

Have a super weekend everyone :-)

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 16, 2011
11:18 PM

Post #8811832

I heard tonight that tumeric is a good anti-inflammatory spice. Take with apple juice, rice, or fruit!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 17, 2011
2:53 AM

Post #8811909

Brrr low 40's, sure hope it warms up quickly!

Want to sit and gab, no can do, so much had to be left to the last minute!!

Hope you all enjoy your day!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 17, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8812231

Have a joyous day, Betty - say Happy Birthday to your mom for us!!

Still transcribing the minutes from the meeting yesterday.
This afternoon we have a Cleaning Bee at the church hall, in preparation for the Fall Supper on the 24th...
I have to be there, cuz I called for it, and best to get some coffee & donuts for the crew! lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 17, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8812361

Hope everyones activities turned out as successfully as the one I was involved with for Hospice.
The yard sale was well attended and I have a hunch we made a fair chunk of coin :-)
The weather was OVER the top beautiful .. a glorious fall day here ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 18, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8813373

Morning all, yesterday was indeed a glorious day! Everything went perfectly, even mom enjoyed!

Family stirring, best I get breakfast..be back later with photo's and chat

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 18, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8813468

UGgggggggggggggggggg ... here I sit in the kitchen and, in front of me are FOUR (4) BUCKETS of apples from our apple trees .. I'm thinking I am going to be needing more flour and Crisco before I can even start to tackle them. Just baked the LAST frozen apple pie from last fall today.
Love the harvest, but, my body is kinda 'on strike' these days .. altho, my shoulder is feeling, I'd say, 35% better ...

SO HAPPY to hear your BDay 'DO' went well Betty .. I thought of you often during the day ..

Guess I should get going .. supper to prepare, and, perhaps I'll peel ONE bucket of apples ... must find Lorna .. good job for her LoL

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 18, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8813684

Great that your Mom's b-day party went so well, and the weather cooperated!

I'm tired, and have more to do tomorrow (6 of us cleaned church yesterday, and 2 of us - Bob & I - will clean a catering kitchen tomorrow...

Here's something neat from Calgary, last February! Come see our beaver buddies!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beas8hgBl0k&feature=player_embedded
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 18, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8813816

Marilyn you need one of these!
Peels, cores and slices .

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 18, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8813833

is that an ever-cool apple peeler/corer! I can't see where the peel section is though... I suppose it's a thin blade though, so that would be why I can't see it.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 18, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8813874

The peeler is that loop section on the left side.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 18, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8814087

aaaaaaaaaaaaah now I see. A catering friend lent me her potato peeler for our Fall Supper at Renfrew Church (this Saturday - do come, Carol - $12.50 and the dinner's at 5:00 and 6:30). It stands upright, but it's the same concept, without the corer!
I'm going to the 5:00 dinner, Carol, and would love to see you there. Would you be able to come? If so, I'll get you directions, and have them hold a ticket for you, at the door.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 18, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8814312

The time has come for me to purchase, rather than pass up, one of these apple peeler/corers.
I do have a gizmo that you place over the apple once you have peeled it, it slides doen and 'wedges' the apple and holds the core in the middle, but, it's kind of labour intensive in the pushing down dept. I would imagine my shoulders would appreciate the other type. Now, i just have to find one.

Taking Lorna's car in for winterizing and a brake job in the morning, then, off to physio. Should be receiving paper work re the MRI in the mail sometime this week ..

Should TRY to get some sleep

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 19, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8814475

Hi .. just read this article in 'Dave's weekly Newsletter', thought it was a nice read and thought I'd share it ..

Turning the Page: Autumnal Equinox http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3394/

Kind of an 'odd' morning .. I do think we are going to have a WARMER day .. a tease :-)

Best get a bustle on

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 20, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8816574

Evening, not often I can say I've been busy at work but today I was..felt wonderful not to be clock watching! Even got my car back..lordy brought it in for timing belt and they ran into problems..was preventive maintenance only, nothing broke and see what happens..now I'll be listening for every little sound or miss..

Got to say that I'm showing my age..normally being busy all weekend doesn't fizz on me but it's taking me these 3 days to try and energize after mom's party and still I'm tired!

What a gorgeous day today, won't be many of those left will there be? Gets so cold early evening though..I'd love to just grab a quilt tonight and snuggle in but promised Ann I'd come and play bingo! Now that she's semi home bound and can't go out I go to her house instead of her hobbling here..if it were not for her looking for company to pass the time away I think I'd stay cozy here on the chesterfield.

Not many flowers left in my gardens..guess I have to wait for the shrubs to turn color..

Read the article "M". Thanks

What have you all been up to?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 21, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8817454

Well Betty, I'm still running off (and ruining) batches of fruit jelly !! Last batch was from grapes grown in a friends garden .. here in TBay that's kind of unheard of .. grapes are small and very tart .. and .. the grape jelly is semi jelled ... so .. I'll re process it this afternoon and add more Certo and see if that works .. very frustrating !! Seems I;m more of a 'pie making gal' .. !!

HUGE storm passed through the area last night .. 6/10 of an inch of rain .. Piper was none too happy with the thunder, BUT, he is doing better !!

Lorna and myself attended a forum on accessibily issues for the disabled yesterday. WOW .. the speaker was fabulous, from Toronto .. Christine Karza, a disabled woman with so much PIZZAZZ it'd make your head spin :-)
Did Lorna good to be in a room with other disabled adults, some (most) much worse off than she, a humbling experience.

Still no date for my MRI .. but .. physio seems to be working .. can honestly say the shoulder is feeling better .. not 100%, but, perhaps 45%.

Lorna's folks arrive Oct. 2 so have been working away at DE cluttering the house, going to try an re arrange the computer room this weekend ..

Hope everyone is doing well !!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 21, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8817560

was hoping "M" that you'd come down on a jaunt to visit Lorna's parents now that you have a new vehicle and we could get to meet!

Sorry to hear you are not succeeding a jam making..must be some little thing that you are forgetting to do..easy to go buy jam right? lol I make great pies as well..keep my baking strictly to pies...ohhh Thanksgiving is coming up, must go find baking pumpkins shortly as the say they will be at a premium this year.

Glad the session was everything and more yesterday!
Busy this a.m. so got to run...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 21, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8818621

~M~ if your grapes are over ripe, they need more certo (cuz the riper they are, the less natural pectin they have), otherwise it needs more sugar and lemon to make the current certo work...
Good that Lorna was able to attend the speaker's session... sounds humbling, indeed...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 22, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8819015

Well Susan, I'm not sure if they were OVER Ripe or just plain NON JELLIABLE LoL
I RE did the batch, added lemon and more Certo and still have a semi gelatinous goop .. that is kinda jelled in the middle, but sloppy on the outside, hard to explain .. Gord says it'll be fine to use on something like a Holland Rusk biscuit .. but .. that said, with him being a Type 2 diabetic and having to watch his blood sugars .. he shouldn't be indulging in this jelly with its 8 cups of sugar !!

As always .. busy days here .. physio, dropping off baking for a weekend bake sale, visiting my NEW Hospice client ,, on and on and STILL poor sleep at night :-(

Wonder if our HAWAIIAN vacationer is back from her holiday .. YOO HOO Alberta Ann .. how was your trip :-)

Off n running

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 22, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8819180

Morning all,

Thought of Lorna yesterday aft. Was having coffee with a lady 3 offices down from me, we've become quite chatty..she was asking me if I saw her with her friend in the wheelchair who has been coming into work every day..yes I had...seems she had a baby around Christmas, wasn't well..had flesh eating disease, lost both Arnold down from the elbow and both legs below the knee..omg..and she is back to work and in good spirits..soooo amazes me..

Beautiful fall day here, might be leaving early and going to the city to meet up with my youngest...Suzanne is I'll today and likely not in tomorrow, might have to change my plans

So quiet here on my own..sewing up moms afghan blocks into an afghan..she said it took her last time 1/2 day..im quick as a bunny and so far I've about 10 hours into it and likely 5 more to go..think she exaggerates. Lol

Looking forward to Hawaii photo's...maybe she will not come home, stay until winter has passed us by!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 22, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8819620

WOW .. both arms and legs .. lord .. you wonder how these poor souls (not what they would refer to themselves as) manage to remain positive after such a horrific loss!
The website for the speaker I mentioned above is http://www.icandothis.ca/
What a truly inspiring woman ..

Weather here has been dreary and cool with splashes of rain here and there .. got my haircut YAHOO!!! Been on my "TO DO" list for about 3 weeks !!

Best cruise along here

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 23, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8821133

Evening all...lordy it has been raining heavily all day, keep this up and I will need the Foxy Lady in the morning..damp so heat is on! Took today off and enjoyed getting a few of my to do's done as well..we are now both sporting new do's "M"..

With nothing to do over the weekend I decided to have a make work project so bought wood to make a 5' scarecrow...have the wood, now I have to get ambitious.

Almost 8pm and I'm ready for bed..got to love getting old, good excuse not to stay up late..lol

What did you all get up to today..

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 23, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8821153

Another warm day here although rather cloudy. My second peony order arrived yesterday ( 6 roots) and I managed to get two of them in the ground this afternoon. I know where they are all going just have to find the energy to get out and dig those holes!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 23, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8821160

Hi All
Back from Kaui, Hawaii and straight into Month end at work. Yikes!
Have some photo's that I will post when I get them off my camera and my sisters computer. I emptied my Camera every evening there expecting to buy a flash drive and bring them home. That island is so small that no flash drives were available! Would have to order it in!
Anyway it was AMAZING! The weather, the wedding and location, location location! We were in a house on a beach that was right accros from Puff the Magic Dragon. Will post that photo too. The flowers that were growing everywhere were so bright and beautiful along with orchids growing on trees here and there. I splurged and went on a helicopter ride that show me the NaPali (sp) coast and the locations for some movies.
Talk to you later.
Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 23, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8821315

Good to hear you had such a nice time Alberta Ann :-)
I can imagine the colours were something else ..

Carol, heard on the Weather Channel that Calgary hit almost 30C Friday .. guess your summer is coming later as opposed to sooner!
We're seasonal here with a high of 22C predicted today. That means we'll have a good chance to put a few of the gardens to bed and plant a few things in dire need of same.

Got my MRI appt. 8:15pm DECEMBER 5th/11 ~~~ Lots of time to anticipate !!!!! Find I am constantly reading up on it .. and I KNOW I will be calling and asking if I can pop in to just SEE the machine before I have the procedure .. right now it's all just too abstract to me ..

Enjoy your weekend all

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 24, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8822702

It's hot today...
Glad you enjoyed your Hawaii trip, AbAnn!!
Amazing that we can still plant this late in the season eh, Carol!?!
Just back from the Fall Supper today, and going to relax now... chat later!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 24, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8822706

Another lovely day here and I got 3 more peony roots in the ground. One left and not sure where it will go and one that has not yet arrived but has a space waiting. The one left is a freebie so thats why Im not sure where it will go.

Susan this is the best time to plant peonies and if you mail order they do not come before Sept/Oct.

Actually so long as you can give them about 6 weeks before the ground freezes ( not frost) you can plant/move perennials.

A dog event tomorrow,( RDOG- Responsible Dog Ownership in Canada) supposed to be another warm day, we will be outside but I understand will be set up under trees so have shade. Not taking any dogs.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 24, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8822829

I love the ones you have, Carol, and I still have the picture of your prize winning ones! I really like the red & white one - CandyFloss or something?
You've Sold me on peonies, however, I don't have any room to grow such a lovely plant.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 24, 2011
11:33 PM

Post #8822912

Seems we are pretty much all busy readying our beds etc for the winter ahead.
I SHOULD have done 5 minutes of stretching before I started today, but, NOPE .. just went at the weeding like a 'bull at a gate', as did Lorna.
I am up right now as this old bod cannot find a position to sleep in where i do NOT ache .. even got a bit of a sunburn. BUT, 2 of the beds are taken down .. my ONE peony is cutback, and the Bleeding heart ... day lillies are ready for spring too ..
Want to transplant some Rudbeckia and I dug up some Iris bulbs that need relocating too.
Today will be taken up with the AIDS walk .. will be helping with the registration and set up .. not sure if we will walk or not .. depends on whether we bring the furries with us ..

Young fella across the way and up the road won the Pumpkin Fest yesterday .. his pumpkin weighed in at 1025lbs !!!!!!!!!!!!!! He babies them from April on .. he lost 2 others (Ground hog) .. anyway, a backhoe/loader and 5 men got this monster out of the Pumpkin patch on Friday .. and, I guess following the weigh in, they 'gutted' the pumpkin and filled it with Hallowe'en candy .. yesterday it was lifted by a crane, and dropped .. KERPOW .. and the kids had a ball racing in and grabbing the candy.

Has anyone entered any pics etc into Dave's County Fair contest? I wasn't going to, but did yesterday .. guess the voting begins in October sometime ..

I had best toddle on back to bed .. if I don't, before I know it it'll be 4am and then I won't want to go back ..

TTFN

~M~

This message was edited Sep 25, 2011 2:35 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 25, 2011
3:03 AM

Post #8822947

Morning all, " m". You went to bed just as I was rising, couldn't sleep so thought I might as well get up and be productive..too bad it wasn't light outside, could do some fall garden clearing as well! Not, so I'm working on a wooden 5' scarecrow for my yard...

Carol, this was the first year I ended up with actual peony flowers, plants always did well but no flowers...maybe it just takes several years to be established

Oops dog barking, hope bears and skunks aren't around.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 25, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8823698

WOW .. another extra gorgeous day here in TBay ..
The AIDS walk went very well .. had perhaps 100 walkers .. am unsure as the the grand total in pledges .. but way in excess of $10,000.

Came home and did another garden .. I was heard over hill and dale I am sure as I screeched at the EARWIG that got in my Croc !!
We NEVER ever had the lil beggars up til last year .. my gosh, what an absolutely horrifying looking little creature !!!!

Just finished cleaning up from a BBQ, and, I think I will be in bed EARLY, cuz heavens knows ... I'll likely be up half the night !

TTFN

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 26, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8824631

Busy day yesterday - RDOG event. ( Responsible dog ownership in Canada, started by the CKC but clubs in individual cities plan their own events. We were located a beautiful Bowness Park in the west of the city and it was a perfect fall day. City Animal control, By law officers,vet tech present, a large number of rescue groups and local humane societies. Plus demos of a variety of dog sport- obedience, rally, agility, scent hurdling .
There were a lot of shelties there although we did not bring any dogs. However a local breeder brought out her 11 week litter of pups and offered them to us for a Hug A Puppy for $1! It was very popular, we had each pup for about an hour, after that they were pretty tired but it was great socialising for the pups who also got to be walked around on leash and meet other dogs. We had them in a small crate beside out table and one really funny sight was a huge Mastiff who stuck his head in the crate to sniff the pup- his head was almost the same size as the crate!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 26, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8824693

awwwwwww puppies! What a great idea "hug a puppy"!!!
I'd love to hug the wee pups - so warm, soft, and wriggly!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 26, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8824838

Ahhhh what a great idea..remember the kissing booths, they were always a money maker, am sure the puppies brought in mega $$$. the day here today is 'perfect'..just too bad I have to work! well maybe I can't call it work ..
Can you believe that some years we get snow late October and we're less than a month from that.

Think I should call and make appt. for snowtires..am sure it's a tad too early but ...
am sure they'll tell me when I should if I call
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 26, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8825195

I think we are setting records here because we have not had a killing frost yet.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 26, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8825350

PUPPY KISSES !!! PUPPY HUGS !!!! ALL so wonderful. and one of the things I SO anticipate when going to see some puppies, or get mine :-)

I am positive we must have set a record for temps here today .. just flippin amazing weather ... sunny and warm

Are ya ready for THIS ONE!! Lorna has injured her left rotator cuff !!! Xrays done today and an MRI on her horizon .. right now I am keeping her arm iced .. I gotta tell ya, 2011 is going to be SHOVED out by me !!!!! Well .. I guess I should say booted .. shoving is not in my vocabulary right now.

Best clear away the supper dishes and wait for 7pm to run the dishwasher ..

Toodles

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 26, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8825387

Let's just enjoy it..much the same here,sure wish I could have been home to enjoy..wind is up, calling for showers tomorrow and the low of 18 tonight.even the furries did not want in..so nice that I decided to open doors and windows for a bit..air out the house.

Omg, that is not what Lorna needed..drats...frustrating isn't it! Lucky you both have each other to nurse each other back to health!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 26, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8825986

ooooooooh geeze, so what Lorna Doesn't need! How did she injur it? Too much yard work, and pushing herself, or did she do something else, like fall?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 26, 2011
11:42 PM

Post #8826056

As odd as it seems, all Lorna did was reach over to pat one of the dogs .. just that simple mov't. It IS frustrating, but, unlike me .. icing her upper arm is proving quite effective .. thank heavens !!

I'm having an UP night ... but since today is going to another busy one, I had best try and get some sleep.

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 27, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8826571

Sometimes it doesn't take much does it to put something out of whack, simple turn and there you go..pain!!!!

Looked like rain early this morning, think it is only overcast right now, shows rain right through the weekend.
Am hoping that it's half decent for Saturday for Meaford Applefest, shows high of 48 yikes, better wear my skivies.

Bored, think I shall take a walk downstairs to the Halloween shop and dollar store..looking for red or orange raffia for my 5' scarecrow I made..will be nice to finish and put him outside. If it weren't for t.v. bingo tonight think I would sit and put him together..

other than that, not much going on except in this mind of mine I'm thinking of all the weekends I'm busy, what needs done, what festivities need planning..lordy, I'm already in 2012

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 27, 2011

Post #8826876

LoL .. Betty .. I think WOMEN are typically planners, and PRE planners .. I know part of my 'sleeplessness in Thunder Bay' is my inability to 'shut off' my brain. With company coming I seem to go over menues in my mind along with what chores need to be completed and how I am going to do that in conjunction with my Hospice client, physio and general everyday life !!!

Temps in excess of 25C again today .. have all the windows opened so as to avoid using the AC .. there is a super nice south easterly breeze.

Best get a hustle on for supper ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 27, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8826899

Think at some point I get may days/ night's mixed up then I'm really in trouble!looks like a storm is brewing, looked the same this morning yet no rain. Ann called to say she was coming over for tv bingo, first time since she broke her foot about a month ago..will be nice..kind of wishing it wasn't bingo night..could so do with a hot bath and bed.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 27, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8826915

wow - what a day! I feel Very Productive and Pleased today:
I went to Jackie's kitchen, and entered a bunch of company names/addresses in her Merge Mail, and then printed out letters to all of them, so they can be sent/given to the companies letting them know of her new ph# and email address so they won't "forget" her. She really needs to drum up business again now that Summer vacations are over and Sept is here! There are several clients that she hasn't heard from for a long time, and she will give them a 5% "welcome back" one time discount.
Then I'd found some Industrial Strength toilet bowl cleaner and all the hard water yellow calcium stains WENT within 1/2 minutes when they bubbled up and I just wiped them away! She'd tried using a knife, but all it did was scratch the surface! It was that way when she got the kitchen leased to her...
THEN I got a very pleasant shock! My old boss (Leland - now a friend) had emailed me about 3 weeks ago, saying he'd gotten married in July. I was so pleased for him! Yesterday a co-worker of mine from same company emailed me asking me to join her and "Laura" for lunch today. When I arrived, neither of them were there, so I sat in the lobby and waited. Then another woman came, said something to the staff, and sat down beside me. After about 5 minutes, I thought "she's waiting too, and it's too coincidental Not to be Laura" so I asked her, and she was Laura! Then she said she'd given her name for a table, and laughed when she said she used her maiden name and should have used Baskin. That's when I was shocked, because she's Leland's new wife! To say I was thrilled to meet her, and for their marriage is an understatement! I'm so happy for him, and very very pleased to have met her!!
I found out her favourite colour, and I'd been making a lap quilt for him and when I found out he was now married I asked him her name and fav colour - he hadn't responded so now I know her name & fav colour, I'll make a lap quilt for her too! :-) :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 27, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8826997

Now that is quite a day Susan! What a Godsend you are...you were pleased with Leland's choice? What did you pick for lunch? Bet it will be an early night for you and what does bob do while you are out playing angel?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 27, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8827031

I'm no angel, Betty LOL perish the thought!!!
Today I went alone to Jackie's cuz Bob took a friend of ours to get her tires fixed - they had a slow leak, and by Sunday were entirely flat on one, mostly flat on the other, and the other 2 are so old they need replacing! So, she went to where she wanted, and they wanted $137 to repair all 4, but he could get her "new" to her tires for all 4, under $200. She went with his choice and they've put one on, to replace the totally flat one. She'll get the other 3 installed in a couple of days.
Normally Bob comes with me, and we work on different parts of her office/kitchen at the same time-ish.
Leland's wife is a sweetie! lol she & I are almost the same height, too! And to find out she was the one who passed on some of her quilt "stash" to me, was an extra plus. The three of us (Judy, Laura, and me) are going to meet again. Right now Laura lives in Texas, but when she gets things "wrapped up" with job, etc, she will be moving to Calgary! How nice is that?!?!?!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 27, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8827182

That will be nice for you Susan..nothing like getting out with the girls for an afternoon. Nice that Bob was able to steer your friend in the right direction..so glad I bought snow tires just before Christmas and don't have that to worry about this year!

Well, adrenaline was high at tv bingo, needed 0-67 and they called 6 numbers before there was a winner..nope $2,600. isn't being picked up by me!!

Ann came here rather than me go to her house, but, the way her foot was swollen and blue I think she should have stayed home...these boot casts to me aren't doing the job regular casts do..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 27, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8827240

Betty - she only gets all-season tires (I don't like 'em!) and has had her previous ones for Ages...
the lady who invited us out insisted on paying for everything! Wasn't that sweet of her?!?!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 28, 2011
3:10 AM

Post #8827435

It was more than nice Susan! I thought when I took my car in for tires that I was getting all season, nope BIL Lenny told them snow tires..I felt safer with them for sure, but meant I had to purchase tires in the spring.

It's raining this morning, ever so softly..Riley is here beside me wanting to be patted, wet fur and now Sailor wants in so best be on the run

Gab later

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 28, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8827492

Tires ... seems to be a 'bone of contention' at this time of year. When I bought my new Toyota SUV .. I asked about winter tires felt I should purchase them right at the git go .. but .. I was told they weren't required .. now .. I was never able to discern they weren't needed because the vehicle is 4WD .. just that they weren't needed, so, I'll go from there I guess.

Susan .. being treated to lunch is just that .. such a TREAT :-) I can well imagine Laura will appreciate the lap quilt ..

Betty, Anne's foot is BLUE !!! Am hoping that it's just bruising and not an indication the cast is too tight !!
Re ' O 67 ' so near, and yet, so far away huh? I get so wound up playing Bingo .. I usually hand out the cards, or, do the calling .. it's something I haven't done in a long while .. here in TBay the bingos are usually 'charity driven' .. for organizations for fund raising ... got right out of it years ago because of the smoking factor, but, that's a non issue these days ..

Off to physio in a bit .. the therapist added more exercises yesterday .. feeling it this morning .. but .. all in all there is a definite improvement. Lorna is still icing her arm .. I really am doubtful her problem is rotator cuff specific .. I'm guessing it's a strained bicep muscle .. at any rate, everyone hopes it'll resolve itself.

Another beautiful day on the horizon today .. we are having a splendiferous fall .. much better than our oppressive summer !!!

Have a good one

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 28, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8827814

Marilyn - oh my... Ann's foot should not be Blue!! Has she told the Dr about it, or called his office?

My DH will not "allow" me to have less than great tires - only seasonal ones. I know our neighbour feels the same, but their daughter uses all-season successfully - and so the fight goes on LOL

Now that I know her name, and it will be 2 lapquilts, I will make sure to put their names in embroidery on them (and get Going on finishing lol) because they will both be Blue (shades of Ann's foot!! lol) Leland likes muted blues and Laura likes cobalt and turquoise, so they'll be different, but even so - should keep their own identities. This is her first marriage, and she's in her late 50's. My DH was surprised about that, cuz it's not usual to have a first marriage at that age, now is it?!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 30, 2011
5:08 AM

Post #8830192

Well Susan .. seems to me that brides are getting a bit older .. I have read that women are not marrying now until their 30s .. 50 is a bit older than that, but, perhaps Laura was simply waiting for the RIGHT MAN to come along :-)

YEOW!! Was it windy here yesterday .. all the work Lorna did outside on Wednesday is covered with leaves!! Her parents arrive for a weeks stay on Sunday ... I am in high gear !!

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 30, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8830742

Got Good News today - Bob's deductible is waived, because our insurance company got in touch with the police officer and he said "They claimed full responsibility for the accident, and if I'd been there I would have given her a ticket!". So, Bob picked up his truck this afternoon and they even installed his mud flaps for him (he just got them and couldn't figure out how to attach them!).
I'm just back from "tooling around" with Jackie, and now I've got 400 newsletters to fold, so will be back later!!
Take care, and God Bless everyone!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 30, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8830889

A lovely warm day here- we still have not had a killing frost- very unusual. Got the raspberries trimmed today and a few other things. Try to do a little bit every day.

Visit with doc this AM. The growth I had removed from my face was indeed a basal cell carcinoma and there is not much of a margin in one spot so I will be visiting the dermatology surgeon to dig a hole and get a better margin. I've had this happen once before with a different growth on my arm.

Doubling my anti-depressants as I don't see any particular changes yet except side effects are minimal.

Tomorrow is Blessing of the Animals so we are all going to church! Need to wash Sassy's bum and give Bailey and Abbie a good brushing - they really need a groom but I forgot to get it arranged! And in the afternoon a friend is coming over to trim all their nails!

I don't think I posted a pic of Zorro- the 10 month old pup we took in last week. He is having a ball at his foster home with 3 and sometimes 4 youngish shelties to play with!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 30, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8830894

WHOA Susan .. I must have missed a post or two. Did DH have an accident ? Hope he is OK !!
Happy folding .. watch out for paper cuts !!!

Weird day .. rain/sun/more wind .. my Hospice client is a sweetie, but, cursed with Alzheimers. Going to be a challenge .. but .. that's what the world is made up of I'm told ,,

Last day tomorrow to get things shipe shape for Lorna's parents arrival on Sunday .. am feeling a bit less stressed today as my 'to do list' is getting shorter :-)

Rec'd a call from the Editor of our local newspaper .. apparently a letter I wrote is going to be the lead on the editorial page tomorrow .. nice I guess, but I dearly hope the MEAT and inference in the letter is taken to heart. As always, it's about handicap inaccessibility, and our local hospital ..

Off to watch a movie .. would recommend 'The Bridesmaids" made me LOL .. but .. more than SOME foul language in it.

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 30, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8830902

Just found you all again, not sure why it went off my watch screen?

Fantastic news Susan..one less worry! Guess because I travel so much on a daily basis and then usually a few trips south I feel safer with the snows..have that little button on my car that I click on when raining or snowing and can actually feel tires grab the road..where is my mind, forget what it's called..old age setting in..

Don't you think half the accidents in the winter are from poor quality tires..government should make pass a law that if you get snows you get discount with insurance company..that would make sense so I'm sure they'll not do it!

Drats, had plans with Ann, Darlene and Cathy to spend the day at the Meaford Applefest and Craft show..ann dropped in this afternoon and said her foot is paining so bad that she had best stay home..as we were chatting Darlene called, her father in lay had emergency surgery Tuesday night, cancer, today he was rushed into surgery and it doesn't look good so they are on their way to the city, called Cathy as she's not been well, no answer..

Did call June and she was thrilled to be asked!

Best I find long johns, talk about cold out there,,,suppose to be 48 degrees as a high tomorrow withnrain, not a good day for the all who participate in the festivities.

Can't believe how with rain today and winds how the ground is covered with fall leaves..soon I'll be able to see up the road as there will be no leaves left on the trees!

You do know what is coming.

Had a 3 year old grand niece spend the afternoon with me..had her decorating the spook tress and putting out fall /Halloween decorations..laying here and it looks so nice seeing glow of Halloween lights flickering..

Well, off to get a rag quilt and make myself comfy for the night!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 30, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8830915

Carol,

Sorry that you feel the meds aren't working as well as you had hoped..you've had so much on your plate this past year it's no wonder you are feeling out of sorts. Ohhh Zorro so looks like my Sailor, border collie..adorable..bet the family is thrilled

Oops company here, got to run!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 30, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8831100

Carol
I'll keep my fingers crossed with the "trim" and hopefully it's only one. I believe they always start on the side of light dose and move you up a step at a time with the other meds.
I will be Sassy will be thrilled to have her bum done, Lol I can just see you ... You always keep your pups looking good so it won't take much to give them that shine for their blessing. Will you be able to get a photo?
Zorro looks like a sweetheart, and a monkey pulled into one pup. I bet he would make a great dog for a family. You keep showing me such cuties I am very tempted then I have an allergy moment and remember why I have a Standard Poodle. If I can ever get rid of them(Allergies) I would definitely get a Sheltie, you are a wonderful ambassador for them!
Susan sounds like good news for Bob!
Bettypause I bet that little one kept you running!

We too have not had a killing frost yet. We had some very nasty winds the last few days and some of my Canna's took a dive but I've trimmed them off and they don't look too bad. After all the rain we had earlier we are now very dry and I'm having to water with our +28 days and the winds.
I have an order for bulbs in with Botanus and they are shipping on Monday so I hope it stays reasonable so I can get them in next weekend.
Bye for now.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 30, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8831125

whoa - Carol how long have you been on the antidepressants? I remember when I was on them after a week I was still crying (this was many years ago just after my divorce) and the Dr had said should "kick in " after 1 week and they weren't - guess I had more on My plate than I realized, but kept the dose the same and sure enough after 2 weeks I felt better. I would be careful about increasing the dose without the Dr knowing... IMHO

Yes Marilyn - Bob was hit on July 12th and not he, his passenger, or the other driver and kids were hurt - all fine. After owning up responsibility, the other driver (from Bolivia or something) and her aunt/uncle refused to contact us. We went to the police station and they called the uncle who gave all the info (Police had it anyway, from his ph#). The uncle then cancelled his insurance, and now the insurance co is going after them. They paid for everything for Bob's truck - a dent and some undercarriage bent. Bob saw her coming so sped up and thus missed his driver door and caught the back panel on the driver's side. Good thing he saw her coming!! He was on a major road westbound and she came across the meridian wanting to go the same way and was distracted by kids in the back seat of the van so wasn't watching. Not her kids - someone else's.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 30, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8831196

Susan just started the meds 3 weeks ago and doc doubled the dose today because no particular effect yet except lessening side effects. No crying though!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 30, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8831209

Glad it was the Dr that doubled the dose. and glad there's less side effects... sometimes the side effects are worse than the actual problem!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 1, 2011
3:48 AM

Post #8831326

Morning.. Brrr cold and windy out there

So want to chat but it will have to be tonight after my excursion not scarecrow country..Meaford Applefest..running late

Enjoy your day everyone..be back tonight

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 1, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8831472

Holy cow .. talk about 'HEAVY FROST' .. we sure got blanketed overnight .. but .. looking out at the trees and lawns with the sun shining down .. well .. just plain and downright BEAUTIFUL .. looks like diamonds sparkling on the dew ..

Ramping up to be a busy day, but, it's all good ..

Carol, Zorro is one handsome doggie :-)

Susan .. good to hear no one was injured in the accident, still in all, it's upsetting .. Gord tells me he was inches from being BULLDOZED by a bull moose while driving on the Expressway last evening, luckily he saw the antlers waving about and was able to slow down !!!

Here I sit, have load one of laundry in .. but .. my to do list has got to be slimmed down a bit more before I feel comfortable .. so .. off I go .. toilet bowls and sinks are beckoning me LoL

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 1, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8831812

Just about done laundry, and putting clothes away! I even put my "stash" away!! And guess what? I motivated Bob and he's tidying too lol 'Course that could be because he was in a bad mood and prone to mishearing and getting angry and I "called" him on it and said that being angry at me (drummed up) was NOT an option! Then I started being nice to him like nothing happened, and he's being very contrite and doing everything I suggest, cuz it's NOT a good idea to get me mad at him LOL
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 1, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8832020

We went to church this morning- Blessing of the Animals.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 1, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8832146

Susan, you are so funny...not a gal to be on the wrong side of...lol. Poor Bob!

It was a cold one in Meaford first thing this morning, at one point I thought it might even snow, then the sunshine came and what a gorgeous day. Did a lot of shopping, best purchase was a new kind of scarf, at least I hadnt seen them before..design included necklace, layers of ribbon/wool fabric..stunning, at least I thought so. Ended up with 3' one for me, one for Suzanne for Christmas and it was Cathy's 50th a few weeksago so I treated her to one and set of matching ratings..then, I got the bright idea that I have several ladies who would love one, why not make some..hmmmm

When visiting the big factory outlet warehouse that has everything from so to nuts didn't the have just what I needed for the necklace part so bought 10, watch me get all gung ho and buy all I need then not do them. Lol. Don't let me do that ok?

carol don't think we have Blessing of the Animals..will have to check

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 1, 2011
11:41 PM

Post #8832360

So Betty, have you started on the scarves LoL
Sounds nice .. I think the 'fashion trend' this last couple of years has been that 'eyelash stuff' kint/crotcheted (sp) into a scarf .. pretty, and, very warm as well .
Your so smart to buying haead for Xmas, it WAS my plan, guess it's still doable ..

My son and granddaughter were out today to show off the 'new wheels' .. they, too, have purchased an Suv .. very nice .. we were standing outside talking and it was COLD !!! Nice and sunny, by I can't even say it was warm in the sun because of a NW wind ..
The upcoming week is to be spectacular .. sunny and near 20C everyday.

Here I am UP .. body willing to sleep, but an over active mind .. still have an incomplete 'to do list', and, the company lands at 1030am .. have pea soup cooking in the slow cooker .. smells good ..

I should try for another hour or more sleep .. am going to need it !!!

Enjoy your Sunday !

~M~

PS .. nice pic Carol :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 2, 2011
1:34 AM

Post #8832391

Think we many of us are up, doubt I has a few hours sleep...had a couple who arrived at my door for b and b otherwise I'd be up making noise!

The north wind was indeed strong, can you imagine there were suffers out on Georgian bay..wow, you have to love it to get in that freezing water..as you say even in the sun it was cold, but coming home you had to open the windows as it was so hoy inside the car..

Best of luck with Lorna's parents visit!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 2, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8833231

About 16C and GORGEOUS here today. Lorna's parents said the Westjet pilot gave them a beautiful flight across Lake Superior and they were treated to some beautiful vistas ..
They were ready for bed early as they had been up since before 4am ... LoL ... me as well as soon as I straighten up a bit. Lilly and Piper have been showing off their ever increasing 'toy collection' to the company and the living room looks like a war zone!!

Now the ages old dilemma of 'what to do with folks' starts .. I'm sure we'll figure it out .. neither of Lorna's parents is feeling 100% so I think we'll be taking it slow.

SURFING on Georgian Bay in October .. NOT on my Bucket list LoL

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 2, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8833656

Carol - that pastor looked familiar - We went to Robert McClure church for the "kirking" (blessing) of the tartans several months ago (May?!) and it looked like the same person What a wonderful idea to bless our companions! St. Francis would be very pleased, I'm sure!!

I think it may have gotten to the high teens or low 20's today - it was a lovely day.
Had a bit of a "duster" today - I was in a parking lot and just crossed a road in the lot, behind someone, when she decided to back up! I checked my rear view and started to back up a bit. Imagine my surprise when someone had just started to drive behind me (passing behind) and I backed into him! No damage to his vehicle because I hit his tire, but my car has a scratch on the back bumper and several scuffs. It was a gentle "whomp" but my side panel was pushed out. Bob pushed it back in. I have a friend who works in a body shop and she's going to look at it tomorrow. Not much damage, but it's obviously scraped. The woman who was backing up was trying to get a parking spot and she apologized multiple times. I'm just glad no one was hurt!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8833922

OMG Susan, could have been much worse and a 2nd claim to the insurance company..I personally think because they up the rates after accidents they've done this so everyone is terrified and don't put in claims, thus more money for them..glad nobody was hurt.

"M" your company is there..hope you've better weather than I?

Thought I'd move us over...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223530/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223530/

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 3, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8834028

Susan she is from St Martins United Church.
-lst name is Natasha and a double last name that I can't remember.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America