AuthorContent

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8787232

I was cruising around some of the local junk shops today, and saw a plant hanging in one. It was in an old pot, and looked like it would fall with the first good wind.
Anyhow, at first I wasn't sure it was a Begonia, but after looking closer I'm sure it was ( I didn't have my camera...) Anyhow I asked if it was for sale and the lady said no, asked for a cutting she said no to that to.
It looked like an Angel wing, but smaller, and it definitely wanted to trail. I've spent about an hour + this afternoon looking at pics and didn't see anything yet that looked like it. It did NOT have shiny leaves..just that they were shaped like an Angel wing..The lady said it got red blooms, and by the way she described them it fits for an angle wing too.
I know it's hard w/o a pic, but would anyone have any idea what it might be ?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8787284

Try 'Lois Burks'

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8787509

Nope, but Thanks.. I've been digging some more, and I think it's a Bolivian Begonia.

http://plantlust.com/plants/begonia-boliviensis/

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8787696

mjsponies wrote:I was cruising around some of the local junk shops today, and saw a plant hanging in one. It was in an old pot, and looked like it would fall with the first good wind.
Anyhow, at first I wasn't sure it was a Begonia, but after looking closer I'm sure it was ( I didn't have my camera...) Anyhow I asked if it was for sale and the lady said no, asked for a cutting she said no to that to.
It looked like an Angel wing, but smaller, and it definitely wanted to trail. I've spent about an hour + this afternoon looking at pics and didn't see anything yet that looked like it. It did NOT have shiny leaves..just that they were shaped like an Angel wing..The lady said it got red blooms, and by the way she described them it fits for an angle wing too.
I know it's hard w/o a pic, but would anyone have any idea what it might be ?

Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words. I guess the lady is color blind since boliviensis and its most popular hybrid 'Bonfire' are definitely orange instead of red.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8787705

I've not seen it in person, so was going by her description, but the foliage and growth habit most definite looks like it would be Bolivian Begonia.
I'll try to get down that way again and take a pic...I really liked the looks of the plant, and would like to find one.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8787717

They were all the rage a year to 3 years ago. They grow nicely for a while then start falling apart (maybe that is normal since they are tuberous). You should be able to find six inch pots in the spring for $5 or less.

Here is one of mine from last summer (this is an 18 inch pot).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8787805

oh that is beautiful ! I've never seen them around here.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 12, 2011
3:14 AM

Post #8804592

MJ
I agree with hcmc, they are beautiful when you buy them, but for me are very hard to grow. I got my first 3 years ago and it did wonderful for about 2-3 months and then within 2 weeks it was dead. Bought two last year and they didn't last a month. Bought another this year and it fizzled out and right now is just sitting there looking pathetic with no blooms. Not sure what the secret is to these plants.

3 years ago...

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8812040

Well I'm wondering if it would be too hot here in the South. The place where I saw it, it was not huge,like the photo's posted, but was a pretty good size, and was hanging just barely beneath an overhang, getting dappled sun from some large Oak Trees. It was also in one of those "Tuffa' ?? pots. She had poked some holes thru the edged to hang it. I haven't had a chance to get back down that way to see how it's thriving.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8812606

MJ, I have had one for years. I started with two, growing under the same conditions and by the second year only one came back and it didn't look pretty. The darn thing comes back every year now but it has never looked as good as the first year I bought it. I have seen them in the Ace Hardwares in the JAX area.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8812617

Well shoot, it's such a cool plant, but now I'm thinking it just wouldnt' want to grow here...Booooo Hooooo !! amd Double Drat !!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8812655

Don't feel bad that one doesn't want to grow anywhere.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America