-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 31, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8787350

Here we are , moved for the first of the month.
We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1210022/
I have to run as its shopping day. I will be looking out for orphans but we have a lot to do today so have to get going.
Enjoy your day and keep safe and warm.
Happy day,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 31, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8787423

Pinch and a punch for the first of the month...
Pretty blossoms, Jean.

I had to include this link...a teacher in the UK was sacked for having another job on the side...
He is a very respected person, so they reconsidered...He teaches sex education and is a counsellor...I bet the girls love him.
http://www.johnnyanglais.com/page6/page20/page20.html
He can do my housework anyday...he's very versatile...though I would prefer not sans pants.

Hi Pam...post a pic of your new dog and Max when you can...the Tawny Frogmouths are cute aren't they...they are around here but I've never seen a nest.
Chrissy, the boxes would be ideal for your veggies...easy to look after for you too...you don't want to much work while you're looking after George...
Have a happy day all.
Dianne.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2011 10:00 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 1, 2011
3:42 AM

Post #8788088

Whew very tired tonight and lots to talk about re all your posts ... so I will do that tomorrow ...hi Pam ^_^
and everyone !!!!
Talk after the nurse tomorrow OK enjoy your evening.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 1, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8788954

Good morning everyone. Still beautiful weather here. I'm in the proceeds of getting my bathroom renovated and a new back fence so have been a bit busy. I'm getting the bath taken out and a new shower and vanity put in and new tiles for the wall and tiles and painted. I a bit at a lose as to what size tiles to get. The builder says go with the big ones but I don't want "modern". Brown floor tiles and white wall tiles he reckons. Yuk!!!! It will look like one of those renovation houses on TV. I want cream with flowers on some of the tiles for the wall. He reckons I will be sick of them in a year but who gets sick of flowers? Not me. Anyway he reckons I probably wont be able to find the flower tiles anywhere. We'll see. John is coming to see the boys for Father's Day. They have cards for him that they made and a key hanger that they made at Cubs. The school is great with them and print out material for uncles and grans. They don't miss out on the excitement with the other kids so they don't feel left out. Well nearly time for the boys to wake although I expect to have to wake them this morning as it was Cubs last night and they go to bed a bit later on those nights. By the time I get them and they have their showers and something to nibble on and wind down from all the excitement it's usually about 9.30 when they go to sleep. Must go. I'll try to get back later with a pic of the Vulsas' Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 1, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8789032

Good morning everyone. The sun is shining and it looks like being a lovely as was yesterday. I ended up with a little orphan salvia. It is quite a nice size and will look lovely among the others. Its a white so will set off the red and purple around where it will go.
we have to go back to Hamilton this morning as hubby left a shopping bag with his medication in on the seat in the cafe.

Hello Chrissy, dont forget to have a bit of a relax yourself.
Go sit in the sun for a little while and enjoy your garden.

Dianne and Colleen, sounds like you both have a garden full of lovely brug babies coming on. I wish mine would grow faster.

Hello Teresa, we will look forward to seeing your pics of how you ride the bus to work.

Hello Anthony, Pam, Karen and Elaine
Also Charleen and Louise.

Better move as hubby wants to get back before lunch.
I may be able to convince him we need to have lunch while we are out and maybe adrive to the waterfalls .

Have happy day. and enjoy a few of these tasty mixed pastries.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 1, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8789047

Good morning Jean. I thought that " someone" might like some cream with those pastries. lol Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 1, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8789053

Good morning...
Nice morning, thick fog so it should be a lovely day..

Colleen, stick to your guns and have your cream tiles..if your bathroom is the average size a different colour on the floor will make it look small...
I have always had little feature tiles in my bathrooms and never been sick of them...there is a lovely
little feature tile with gum leaves that is still available...shops that do renos on federation homes have the floral tiles...I had cream with the gum leaves...wish I had them here.
Just be careful that the floor tiles aren't the slippery ones...
Your John is a very thoughtful young man...the boys will enjoy their father's day activities.

Jean, I hope that you have a pleasant drive after you pick up your parcel...the waterfall should be lovely.
Have a great day everyone...
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

September 1, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8789653

How lucky I am had the grandson dig a new garden this morning and we found there is a big pipe underground thate does not show on any sewerage or water service diagrams must run right next to where I dug the pond I was going to plant two Oleander I know they have big roots not good over pipes so now thinking about a Yacca in the center and succulents around will get sun most of the afternoon in summer.-------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 2, 2011
2:08 AM

Post #8789733

day off today, or was it,.,.benching the daffs for the show this weekend[ for me and molly]- im absolutely exhausted,.,.hello to everyone- anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

September 2, 2011
3:02 AM

Post #8789743

quick post before I head to bed... took me ages to catch up on the threads here...
just one of the pics from my walk to work in the mornings, it takes half an hour but is far quicker than taking two more buses.
Anyway spring has sprung - blossoms are out & the sunshine is glorious, still chilly in the mornings & at night, we are getting a good frost tomorrow morning but at least the 3rd polar blast didn't hit so hard & aside from a light dust of 'icing sugar' on the Port hills we didn't get any more snow.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 2, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8790459

Good morning on this windy morning.
Kettle is on and the cups are on the table...Colleen are you joining us this morning?
I think that Chrissy should have another cup of coffee before she starts her busy day.
Jean, can you see anyone else dropping in?

Anthony, the best of luck to you and Molly today...don't forget the pics...
How about those Cats...if we don't win another game this year it was worth it.
Teresa, it's far nicer to walk on a lovely morning and check out everyone's gardens...
Elaine, it's amazing how these pipes get where they do...we once put a big hole in a plastic stormwater pipe that we didn't know was there...

We are off to the Bacchus Marsh market this morning...it's the best plant market around..I might find a yellow Sanguinea or a yellow Cantua...

Good gardening everyone.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 2, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8790522

Good morning everyone.
The sun is still shining here but the wind is back.
Yesterday was a beautiful day and I enjoyed wandering around Hamilton again and a nice lunch. We didnt go to the waterfalls as they are still very full and its not so pretty watching dirty water pouring over. Much nicer when it settles to a nice clean picturesque run. Maybe later in spring if the rain doesnt keep coming.
Thanks for putting the kettle on Dianne and setting out the china. . I have been out putting the washing in the machine. A good drying day today . The wind is not too bad but there were a few strong gusts earlier.
I am going to repot the rest of the brugs today. I will then have all of them in good size pots that I can tip out and trim each year. The rest are in the ground.
I now have room for all the babies coming on.

Teresa. it looks like you have a pretty walk to work now, but later in summer and in winter you will be on those other buses.
It can be a pain changing buses.
I had to at a job years ago and I always used to wonder whether I had missed the bus when I got to the bus stop as I was usually the only one waiting.

Hello Elaine. What a lucky thing you found that pipe. Could have been a lot of trouble later when any trees grew and maybe broke it.
I wonder how many houses have pipes in odd places from years ago when people just put them anywhere.
Here we have to look for a bit of green grass in odd p laces if there is a water leak. Pipes just run willy nilly around the place.
At the farmhouse I was renting before I met hubby, a pipe had to be found and replaced. When the owner and I eventually found the leak. we were amazed to see that the 'pipe ' was a garden hose that had been joined to another pipe and buried.

Anthony, best of luck at the daff show. You will , of course, come home with all the prizes. Except for the ones Molly will win. lol.

Thanks for the cream Colleen, I am sure Brian would want cream on his pastries.

Hello Chrissy, Pam, Karen and everyone else.
Here something nice to have with your cuppa. Coffee & Walnut Cake
Happy day and enjoy the weekend.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 2, 2011
11:43 PM

Post #8791078

Hi everyone. Have been very busy today and have just had time to see what everyone's been up to. I still have a couple of extra kids here but they're playing very nicely with the Lego and having an icecream in a cone. It's been pretty warm here today but it looks like wind coming by the looks of the sky. I have another Arborea flower nearly out so will be making out I'm a hawkmoth very soon. Sorry I didn't make it in to have an early cuppa with you Dianne. I wish we had big plant markets here, The few little plant sales that are here don't have any hard to get plants usually. Well must go still have things to do. I'm getting quite weary actually. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 3, 2011
2:27 AM

Post #8791090

Where did my day go? Im exhausted again.,,.Not much to boast about,.,.1st -2nd novice miniature daff. 2nd[up 2 levels]restricted miniature daff..Lenah Valley club champion[2nd time this year][3 distinct daffs] 1st and 3rd,.1st 2nd 3rd single daff [club level] 1st 2nd 3rd other flower not mentioned[club level]1st orchid stem [club level] 2nd rhodo [club level] 2nd camellia[lovely pink][club level] 2nd open floral art[themed cris-cross] 2nd wattle stem ,1st and 3rd[other bulb/tuber/rhizome][club level,,.,.,.,.Molly-3rd novice floral art, [themed blue on blue] shes' 2 'next week,..,not bad for her first entry ,2nd with her famous great grandmothers magnolia ,1-2nd blossom stem,.,.,.,.Phew,.,.my toungue is worn out from talking to people..,wont be long out of bed and back into it tomorrow[show commitee]-anthony

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

September 3, 2011
2:42 AM

Post #8791092

Hello everyone!
It may be spring but it is still quite cool here at Buderim.
Did some work in the garden today.

Tomorrow we are going up to Toowoomba to spend some time with my son and his family. Long drive...two and a half hours to get there. That is a five hour drive tomorrow as we have to be back Monday for hubby's doctor appointment.

Picture of Iris that popped out yesterday.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 3, 2011
2:42 AM

Post #8791093

Congratulations to both you and Molly, Anthony. Good work and you deserve to be worn out. Put your feet up and watch the footy. Colleen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

September 3, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8791728

Good morning all, and happy fathers day to our Dads here.

Colleen, I get the impression your tiler doesn't realize that YOU are the client. It seems the days of tradespeople bending over backwards to please the customer are long gone, or rather, the ones that really care about the job they do are getting thinner on the ground. As already said, stick to your guns and don't settle for anything you won't be happy to live with for a lot of years. BROWN is likely to date as fast as it did last time around, and the rest of your life is a long time to put up with something you hate.

Off to get coffee, will be back later
Pam

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 3, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8791766

Good morning everyone.

Lots and lots of plants at the market yesterday...2ft high M.stellata for $15 in full flower...plenty of Camellias, Azaleas and native orchids at good prices...For all of the Clivia fans there was a stall with all different shades of orange and lots of the cream ones, plus a rare Chinese one with a double flower for $45...evidently there are lots of Clivia fanciers in Bacchus Marsh..there was a show coming up soon.
I came home empty handed...my husband was very pleased..lol

Congrats again to you and Molly, Anthony...you must be pleased with your efforts...Which mini Daff did you win the prizes with?

Pam, how is your new dog?...

Marlene, hope you have a lovely day with your family today...

Well, it's quite warm here...so I'll be watering a few things this morning...can't rely on the forecast...

Have a happy day..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 3, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8791796

Good morning everyone. A bit overcast but not too cool this morning and NO WIND.as yet. I met another brom aholic yesterday. She said that she might have some plants that I haven't and we might be able to do swapsies. She actually talks brom talk so I might be able to improve my knowledge , which, mind you, is very limited at this stage. Pam, no-one, but no-one tells me what to put in MY house so he hasn't got any hope. He has come up with an excellent quote though. The back fence is a bit more than I had anticipated but for the both, bathroom and fence, I will come out about right. I will have a wider entrance with the 2 gates and a brand new colour bond fence. My son will be here today for the boys to give him his Father's day gifts and cards. They are very excited. All the Dads out there enjoy your day. I'll be back later. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 3, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8791801

.*☆✿❀✿❀✿☆*'Happy Fathers Day.*☆✿❀✿❀✿☆*'
to all the fathers and father figures in Australia .*☆✿❀✿❀✿☆*'.*☆✿❀✿❀✿☆*'
.*☆✿❀✿❀✿☆*' ♥

Good morning everyone !!!
People coming so just a quick hello and wishing everyone a great day.
Back later.

.*☆✿❀✿❀✿☆*'.*☆✿❀✿❀✿☆*'
.*☆✿❀✿❀✿☆*' ♥.*☆✿❀✿❀✿☆*'
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 3, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8791806

Hope all the Dads out there have a great day. Nice iris, Marlene.

Hello everyone. Beautiful morning here. Buds everywhere. Can't wait for everything to bloom. This little pink rock orchid is peeping out from among other plants. Hard to photograph with my camera as the flowers are quite small.

Have a great Sunday, everyone.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 3, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8791807

Good morning everyone. I'm glad the forecast thunderstorm didnt arrive last night. A little rain but not enough to water the pots so I'll get to them later this morning.

Anthony, congrats to you & Molly. You will need a special wall to display all your awards. I bet Molly was so excited. How is Cocky going these days ?

Dianne, love your clivias. they are the same as mine.
I have a lot of seedling ones coming on. I have more of the yellow , peach and cream . I also now have some of the wider leaf Chinese ones. Somehow they are turning into a ( dare I say it ) "collection"
If I ever see a market around here, it usually as Colleen said, just the common plants that I already have plenty of.

Colleen, I see you, Dianne & Lucas are doing well with your brug babies. I might have a bit of land here but its all very open so your yards would be much more sheltered. for them.
If anything grows here, it is slower but ends up pretty hardy.
Stand firm on your tile ideas too. I see so many homes on TV where the "designers and /or consultants" seem to have no idea what color schemes one can live with. I often wonder how many times they change their own decor because they get tired of a color.
Same with all these designer gardens. Who would want to live with them.

Hello Pam, Karen, Chrissy and Teresa.
Hello Elaine. Hope you are all going well and not too many aches & pains.

Charleen and Louise. Are you getting more of the nicer Fall weather starting or still in the awful heat.?

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there.

I am going to plant out a few rooted cuttings today plus throw a bit more fertiliser around.
The wind has gone so I may even get out a bit of Roundup.
Stay safe and warm everyone. Enjoy this yummy Chocolate Cake with a nice cuppa.
Happy day
Jean

This message was edited Sep 4, 2011 8:57 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 4, 2011
3:47 AM

Post #8792284

Dianne,'ferdie' twice and 'snook',.,.Molly drew a picture of me on her 'poppys day' card,and i didnt realise my beard had become so long,..,Alison came and helped me pack up from the show and i was so happy she did,'i was so worn out' - anyway,maybe a couple of pictures this week- goodnight,anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 4, 2011
3:51 AM

Post #8792287

I hope you had a great day Anthony ...we had the water at our in our area go missing for 8 hours would you believe ?
Still don't know what happened ...piles of dishes, piles of washing ...so see you all after the Nurse tomorrow ...hoping everyone had a great day.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 4, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8793106

Good morning everyone.
Very quiet here. yesterday was cold & windy with a few showers. Not a day for doing much outside, but I did get my little tillandsias and move them to the brom greenhouse.
I thought they might like the better light and keep warm on the cold days.
lots of bulbs appearing everywhere still. I love the way the asiatics seem to grow inches overnight.
I am still watching buds on a couple of brugs but I think we need a lot more sun to encourage them to bloom.

Anthony, looking forward to seeing all your bulb pics as they flower.
I found another pretty daff out . It is a large one and all white. Must have come from one of those mystery bags of bulb I have bought at fetes etc.
Lots of smaller yellow ones that always come out just after the big boys.

Hello Chrissy , hope all is well with your water now. Are you managing to get some garden time each day ?

hello everyone else. Very quiet in the Tea Room. You are all very busy in your spring gardens now I would think.
Heres a few lovely Cream Cakes for anyone coming in for a cuppa.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 4, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8793142

Good morning everyone.
Nice day ahead, I hope.

Jean, those wide leaf Clivias are the ones that they were selling for $45, I remember when the cream ones were that price...
Chrissy, what a pain without water all that time...wonder what caused it.
Anthony...isn't it great when your grandkids draw you...they are so honest...LOL
Good of Allison to help you clean up...especially on Father's day...

Hope everyone had a good day...especially your boys Colleen...
Back later..

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 4, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8793162

Good morning everyone. Beautiful morning here. We had a little wind here yesterday but it calmed down and turned into a wonderful day. The boys gave John all his Uncle's Day gifts and he made a big fuss of them and they were tinkled pink that Uncle John loved their gifts so much. He's taking them for a motor bike ride after school today so they're pretty excited about that. We're going to do some more tidying up today and move the chook cage right up the back and make arrangement to put the cacti over that side of the yard away from under the pine trees. The pots are getting full of nettles where they are so it should be good for them. I might have to put up a bit of shade in the hottest weather but I think they will flower better being in full sun. I have some buds on the Reynella Orange, Munchausen? cuttings that John got for me. I'll be able to see the flower first hand now and take a pic of it for you all to see. The flowers that I did see were beautiful. Well had better go and get these boys ready for school. Be back later. Colleen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

September 5, 2011
3:49 AM

Post #8793814

I have at least one lily coming up... just spotted it when I spent a brief moment in the garden...

anyone want to walk with me to work?
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150795892470492.748692.872860491&type=1

hope this link works... will do a photobucket album later for those who don't FB.
cheers - Teresa
gardengal
se qld
Australia

September 5, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8794682

It says we don't have permission to view it , Teresa.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 5, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8794822

Good morning everyone. its raining here. Not too bad a day yesterday if one stayed out of the wind. A bit of rain will be good for the pot plants.
I potted my baby brugs and a few other things in the greenhouse . Nothing will get done today as I have run out of anything I can do inside the greenhouse.
The ferns etc are growing quickly in the fern house. I had a bit of a clean up a few weeks ago down there as there were a few pots where things had died . I moved the pots out and left them until I got around to emptying them and putting them away.
Looking yesterday, I found a fern had regrown in just a week or so.
It was definitely looking very dead and had no shoots for over a year.
I dont know what encouraged it ti grow again, but its back with friends in the fern house.
Maybe the fright of being out in the open

Teresa, I couldnt view your clip either. Maybe you could post a few pics for us to see.

Hello Colleen, Dianne, Chrissy, Elaine, Pam, Karen and Anthony.
hope all is well with you all.
Charleen I hope you and Louise are safe and well over there.

I am off to be domestic again. I cant get outside so I'll annoy hubby by dusting everything in sight. and getting out the vacuum cleaner.
Have a great day and enjoy those lovely gardens.
Heres your tasty treat for the day. .. Black Forest Cake.
Happy gardening.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8795021

We have been getting some rain and even had a Tornado watch, earlier this evening in North Ga.
I am so happy for the rain, but not much for the tornado. This will help my plants, it has been so dry here.
Anthony is doing Daffodils and I'm seeing iris are blooming down your way. Happy Spring you all ..
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 5, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8795030

Hello Jean, and everyone. Charleen, so glad you got some rain. So far here we have had perfect Spring weather, with odd patches of rain and sunshine alternating. The first storm of the season missed us, but dumped some much needed rain on the ground. We've been so lucky here to have missed out on the worst of everything weatherwise. I hope it keeps up.

Keep well and safe and have a really great day, just because you can!!!

Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 5, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8795309

Charleen, do you get many Tornados in Georgia?...just had a thought..what happens to your animals in a Tornado...I would imagine the dogs go into the basement if you have one, but what happens to the Longears?...glad that your garden had a bit of rain...did your temperatures drop much?

Looking forward to the walk to work, Teresa...

Glad that you are having a pleasant spring Karen...I'm surprised that you have been dry...everytime I look at the east coast on the weather map...it seems to be raining everywhere...It must be only NSW.

Ferns are very tough, aren't they Jean...I pulled out heaps last year and they are all back again...It's not Fishbone, but it's tough...I must take a pic one day to have it ID'd...it's a nice fern...but it creeps...
First of the Sweet Peas..very early..
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 6, 2011
1:22 AM

Post #8795506

now the show is over, my daffodils are coming out ''en masse''.-- now my computer wont accept the camera,..,i'll try again tomorrow.-anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

September 6, 2011
2:53 AM

Post #8795517

hope this link works better...

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/dalfyre/On%20the%20way%20to%20work/?start=all

Thumbnail by dalfyre

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8796079

They just go get under a tree, we have a carpot but they don't use it very good/
They were in my little chicken house this morning
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 6, 2011

Post #8796434

Good morning everyone.
Its really chilly here this morning. Not the usual windy cold , but a real 'nearly a frost' icy chill.
It rained most of the afternoon yesterday with some heavy hail around 2pm . Luckily it didnt last long and no plant damage bar the odd hole in any large leaves.
I keep looking at the weeds happily growing and laughing because its too wet for me to get at them.
I will have my revenge later when things are drier and I get out the Roundup.

Anthony, your daffies must look lovely. Isnt it always the way though , that flowers come out after the event.
I have so many baby liliums coming up and all yours are showing their heads too.
Those seeds, are showing some green too. I am so pleased .

Teresa, what a lovely walk to work you have, its just a pity that those beautiful old buildings are so damaged . All the emptiness of the streets is sad.

Charleen, I think most animals have a lot more sense than humans. They know where to get out of harms way.
I can just picture Charley and friends clumping down into a storm cellar if you had one.

Hello Colleen and Dianne.
My winter hippie is almost out. . Maybe I should call it a spring hippie.

Hello Elaine , Pam, Karen and Chrissy.
I hope your weather is a bit warmer than here.

I am going back to the warmer room. with my cuppa.

Have a great day and enjoy those gardens. Everything is growing so well now .
Try this Chocolate Marble Bread with your cuppa.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 6, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8796450

Good morning everyone. The chook house has been rebuilt, the old fence around the chook house has been pulled down and disposed of and a bit of cleaning up done. The other chook house is going right up the back along side the new one and the galahs are going in there. I'm going to put all the cactus in pots out from under the pine trees. The pine nettles are making too much mess in them. The new back fence should go up next week and that will make things look heaps better up there. Might even make more room for brugs. lol I haven't been to look at tiles as yet. There doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day for me at the moment. Must go. Boys to get ready for school and then the day to myself because John has gone back home now. Hope all are well and I'll be back later. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 6, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8796536

Morning all,
Ditto with the hail,Jean...brief but very heavy, the leaves of the Brugs were weighed down with it.
I thought that the buds were goners, but none fell off...thank goodness.

Mick has to have his feet trimmed this morning, so I fill my pockets with chopped carrots...
He must have had a bad experience when he was young, he is always planning mischief when the farrier picks up his back leg...luckily we have a very smart farrier, who is always one step ahead.

Well the sun is out so hopefully it will still be warm...

Back later.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

September 7, 2011
12:51 AM

Post #8797081

Out for a walk so a big wave as I pass ------elaine
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 7, 2011
1:31 AM

Post #8797086

late day at work, so me waving too

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8797406

Charley and friends had their feet trimmed last Thursday. My farrier was talking about how pleased he is with them doing so good. Says he remembers when he had to catch them and tie them to a tree. They have come a long way since he has started to work with them. This last trim they were really great...
Wishing your farrier great success with your horse...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 7, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8797455

waving as I go to bed ... hi Charleen .Goodnight :)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8797805

Durn Girl, Have a great night...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 7, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8797984

Good morning everyone. Looks like a good morning here too. Yesterday was a real mix up of a day. Freezing cold in the morning with showers , then after lunch, warm and sunny , enough that I was outside without my jumper. Around 4pm, it rained again and the cold was back.
I planted a few new clivia seeds and I still have a few more to arrive .
I have some nice little variegated clivias and some of the wide leafed ones too. I am very pleased with the way they do so well here.I am now looking to get a few seeds of some of the bicolors. I never knew there were so many different types of flowers on them.

Hello Elaine , hope you enjoyed your walk.

Anthony, take a rest over the weekend and sit with your bulb babies.
Mine are popping up everywhere and I have one of my nepalese seeds through.

Hello Charleen, Charley must have matured and gained some sense with age. He sounds a good boy now.

Hello Chrissy, Colleen and Dianne.
Hope all is well with you all and that you are enjoying your gardens.
Hello to everyone else.
I am thinking of things to do today. Maybe a bit of Roundup on the weeds, as it looks nice and still outside at the moment.
Enjoy this delicious German Chocolate Cake.
Have a happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 7, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8798014

Good morning everyone. Overcast here today. I don't mind overcast but not wind so it might be a nice day anyway. Have an appointment this morning. Have been on the phone this morning arranging when the fence guy can come and also the tree lopper to grub out a stump for me as the gate is going to be bigger in the new fence and the stump is in the way. More money. I haven't even looked at tiles as yet. I thought that I will get the fence out of the way first. I have to actually pay for the tiles,vanity, taps, and towel rail myself and the builders quote was $5,700. for the bathroom. I thought that was a really good price for a bathroom renovation and actually changing where the shower is to the other side of the room and taking the bath out and re-tiling the walls and floor in the bathroom and toilet and painting. Now all I need to do is find the stuff that I need to buy and get a good deal for that. That might be easier said than done though. Well must go, hope everyone is well and I hope you enjoyed your walk Elaine. Is the weather nice over there too? Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 7, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8798276

well i got about half a the dynamic lifter and Charlie Carp stuff around then had to come in ...sprinkling and about to rain quite heavily I think. Love it when the rain comes to water smelly things in don't you. However I may have been too clever by half it is going to drop down to 3C for a few nights so I hope that won't cause problems with the fresh tiny bits shooting out of everything.

hi Elaine ...I love to walk too ^_^

Have you all seen what is happening in Texas ?

Texas is on fire ...how familiar is this ?
http://ecocentric.blogs.time.com/2011/09/06/texas-burns-as-the-rest-of-the-country-drowns/
Those poor poor people ...it brings back awful memories. Please let it stop soon. Get lost 2011.
Oh Charleen it is so awful ...our thoughts and prayers are with you all over there.
It's a real scare for us here because (at least where I am ) the weather usually follows the Texas weather.
We have had to clear stuff from around our home by order of the local Fire Fighters -they say it will be a bad fire season, this coming Summer.

Colleen isn't it a drama doing renos, but it's nice when it is done ...we had all the roof and gutters cleaned out yesterday, it took all day to do because of the She Oak needles, the closest to the home is to be removed, I love them but that one is so big now it is acually weeping over the roof.
I am sure you will be happy with the new bathroom when it is done.
Well I will go see if I can finish the fertilizing between the showers.

I hope everyone enjoys their afternoon.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

September 8, 2011
2:48 AM

Post #8798676

it was really cold yesterday so this morning I decided to add an extra layer of merino...
and it was nor west & I really didn't need it!
Murphy's law strikes again.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8799108

We have a nice breeze going and sun is bright but temperature has a taste of Fall in it. Supposed to be warmer by weekend. I'll just take it a day at a time...You all stay safe. Love you all...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 8, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8799539

Good morning everyone. The sun is shining at the moment but I am not inclined to believe its promise. After the last few days of rain between sun , warm and cold, I give up and just dress in the usual layers and bear with it. what else can one do ?
It is very disconcerting though, to be outside in the sun then get rained on from some little puffy cloud which then scurries away to hide.
I did manage to get the grass out of my dutch irises. Its hard to grab the grass as the irises are so much like grass . Luckily the irises have a firmer hold on the ground than the grass so I havent pulled any out.
Lots of shoots on the roses and I must get out and give them their annual dose of epsom salts.

Hello Charleen. You will be into your real Fall weather soon enough. Enjoy the sun while you have it.
I do feel for the Texans as we know what bushfires can do.

Teresa, isnt it frustrating to have all those clothes on and the weather changes for the better ?
I have my dressing down to an art now. I only ever wear t-shirts as a first layer so I can always get down to that if needed . I can then put on jumpers , vests, coats etc as needed.
Hubby starts with l/sleeve skivvies , then jumpers. This means he cannot get down to something cool if the sun comes out.
I dont know how many times , he has had to buy a cheap t-shirt while we have been out shopping.

Hello Chrissy. I used that Charlie Carp once, but couldnt stand the smell around.
I much prefer the smell of dynamic lifter. More earthy rather than something gone off.

My winter hippie is nearly out Colleen. I will have to call it a spring hippie here.
I have lots of seedling hippies growing well.
My large ones are all getting lovely leaves. I put them in the greenhouse during winter and will move them out into the sun soon.
Hope all goes well wtyh all your renovations.

Dianne, your brugs seem to be going really well.
Mine are so slow here. The micro climate on top of our hill can be very harsh at any time of the year.
I wish I could put up a very tall fence sometimes to make some shelter for the plants. Being on a bit of a slope may be good for drainage, but the wind can get to all the areas .
I am so glad I planted so many trees as they do a fairly good job in places.

Hello Elaine, Pam, Karen and Anthony. Hope all is well in all your gardens.
Louise must be busy and I do hope she has not been in any of the weird weather there.
I am not going outside yet as there are clouds looking at me through the window.
I will do a bit of sewing.
I have hems to take up on my new track pants.
I wonder sometimes. what shape the manufacturers use as a design guide. I am not short but still have to take off at least 3"- 4"from the legs of the pants.
Better move as hubby is calling. He is resting in bed as his back is playing up. I keep telling him that with all the metal bits he has in his spine, he needs to go into a garage once a year for some grease to keep them loosened up.

Have a happy day all and enjoy this Pineapple Upside Down Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 8, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8799588

Good morning everyone. Jean you made me laugh with the story of the little puffy cloud. I can just see him scooting across the sky to Jean's place, having a little sprinkle, and scooting away again giggling. I've got a strange imagination haven't I? All's well here but the fence can't go ahead yet because it has to be freighted to the Riverland and it's not ready yet. Maybe after the long weekend. Ah well I might go and look at the tiles etc so maybe the builder can go straight on with the bathroom. John's thinking about taking the boys back to his place after the motor bike camp so that will work in well if I get the bathroom done while they're away. It all depends on his work. Well I must go as the boys are not ready yet. be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 8, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8799615

Morning all...we had the most violent storm at about 7 this morning...thunder, lightning and buckets of hail...now the sun is shining...
Hopefully Chrissie your predicted, very hot summer, doesn't happen...who knows with the weather.
Teresa, sounds as though you are getting your use of your woolies...hope it doesn't last too long.

Jean I have no luck with Hippies...I have had two for years, that never flower...so this year I will put them back into a pot.
I just bought tickets to the Pirates of Penzance for Steph and I, it will be her first taste of Gilbert and Sullivan...she will either love it or not...fingers crossed...
Liz Taylor's jewellery up for sale and with it THAT ring...remember how many times we saw it in the paper on Liz's finger...and the LUCY episode when it got stuck on her finger...

Went to a friend's place yesterday to have a look at her new foal...the mare is a very pretty dun with very strong black points, she was already in foal when they bought her, but no one knows what to.
So when the foal arrived, there was a big surprise...the filly is pure white...an absolute beauty...
For those not sure of the term "dun"...here is a pic of a dun horse..not the mother of the foal.
It's hailing again..
Keep warm today... Go Cats tonight.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

September 8, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8799877

Morning to every one the beautiful light rain is here with me its a joy to play out side given every thing a feed of D.lifter .
I have the same problum re hems also found as my size goes up cloths are longer even tops have to be taken up soon I will have enought cut of pieces to make a patch work quilt. ----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 8, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8800049

Elaine, your yard has quite a community living in it. I love what you have done. . It looks really good.
Maybe I will get out and gather all my garden friends into one place so they can be seen.
I hope your rain is warmer than ours. Its freezing outside.
Look what has finally opened, Dianne.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

September 8, 2011
10:53 PM

Post #8800115

Not cold up here this afternoon the Sun is shinning went and done a little shopping and found a new spring sign .
I have most things on one side so as any one walks out the back door its like walking down into my day dream away from all the stress and worry of the out side world .-------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 8, 2011
11:04 PM

Post #8800119

It does look very friendly, Elaine...I think that I would find myself chatting to them if I worked in the area...I can't see half of my garden ornaments... they are in the undergrowth...

Aren't they lovely, Jean...it always takes me a minute to remember it's name...Velthemia...is yours in the ground?..I know that Colleen has some too...
Mine is in a pot...I hope that they are as easy to keep in pots as Clivias...My Peter has had his in a pot for about 3 yrs now so they might be fine.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 8, 2011
11:10 PM

Post #8800120

Dianne, the velthelmia is in the ground just barely under the bench in the epi shadehouse. I had a few pots of mystery plants from when I bought the epis home. I just stuck them in the ground and now there are 4 . two are flowering. They must like it where they are. They do get some sun and all the wash off of water & fertiliser that goes on the epis.
Be nice to have them in pots near the house, but I am not going to disturb them. I may end up with a nice big clump. I just love the big shiny leaves.

Love the signs Elaine. Very friendly walkway.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 8, 2011
11:18 PM

Post #8800123

Elaine you just reminded me about my froggy ornament, I bought it a couple of weeks ago...
It has 7 frogs and 2 beetles...it's fun.

Jean, I love those glossy leaves too.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 9, 2011
2:10 AM

Post #8800153

holy moly dianne, thats one complicated front door bootscraper,..,[ready for the bite !!]- and 'Yes' Go-cats from me/us too!,.,.still no luck here, loading the camera pics,.,.[stupid computer/camera] who knows, its done this b4 and all of a sudden started working again.,,-anthony

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 9, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8801012

By golly it's a cold morning...hope everyone is tucked up in bed still...
I will put the kettle on standby till everyone gets up.

Anthony, what a pain...it's slow enough getting pics to upload these days without computer probs as well...hope you fix it soon...
May the best team win tomorrow...being realistic, the Bombers won't go further, but I love the games against the Blueboys, usually plenty of biffo and lots of passion...hope it's a good game.

Anthony, Jean just told us it was your birthday...Have a great day...lots of presents and a couple of beers.

If it fines up, hope everyone has a good gardening day...

This message was edited Sep 10, 2011 9:14 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 9, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8801025

Good morning everyone.
♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ ❃ ❂ ❁... Happy Birthday..Anthony...❃ ❂ ❁ ♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪

Not a lot done yesterday as the weather did not improve at all. today looks like being the same.
Hubby is s till in bed with his back problems so that will keep me occupied during the day.
He is a good patient though. He sleeps most of the time.

Hello Anthony, I hope you have a happy day. I bet you bought yourself some new bulbs for your birthday.

Hello Karen, Pam, Colleen , Chrissy and Dianne.
Teresa, hope all is well over there. It seems to have quietened down a bit with the shakes. I do hope so.

Hello to everyone else. I am going off to be very domestic today. Washing , ironing and my non favorite thing, dusting. There always seems to be dust peering at me, even after I have just done the job.
I hope you all enjoy the weekend. The year is fast disappearing.
Here is a nice cake for you to enjoy Anthony. I'm sure you will have lots of helpers to demolish it.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

September 9, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8801057

I have been very busy getting my floral art entries ready for the Buderin Garden Club Spring Show...starting today.

This is my first effort at competition in floral art.

I entered
Intermediate section:" Reggae Rhythm"
It took me a week to make the props like music, Reggae hair.
Other in Open Section: "Born of the World".
Made the world from two hanging baskets and sprayed silver paint.
I was very ambitious with this entry.
Took them to the hall last night and saw the other entries and they left me for dead.

This message was edited Sep 9, 2011 6:14 PM

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

September 9, 2011

Post #8801060

Born of the Earth

Thumbnail by Marleneann

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 9, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8801061

Good morning. Big winds yesterday knocked many pots over, but no real damages, thank goodness. I was out when it struck and thought it blew up quite suddenly. Good rain was dumped but the sun is out this morning. Contrary weather.

Good to see everyone's pics this morning. Elaine, you have some lovely garden decor, which is always a pleasure to see.

Nice froggy ornament too. And that horse is a beauty. Is that a buckskin? Love the contrasting chocolate tips.

Hi Marlene. Nice piece of decor there too.

Hope this windy weather isn't affecting anyone's gardens. It is so cold.

Karen

This orchid is out in full flower now. Looks great in its tree home.

This message was edited Sep 9, 2011 3:13 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 9, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8801106

Marlene, I think that your floral art is very creative and beautiful...I looked very carefully at both pieces and I could see how the name applied to each was very suitable...
I really liked them both...one was funky the other was very thought provoking...I am not a great fan of floral art but I understood yours and congratulate you on your choice of plants to create these gems.
Whatever did the others have on display?...

Anthony, have a look at these pieces and tell us what you think...you know what they look for...

Lovely Orchid, Karen...it really is growing well...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 9, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8801225

Marleanne-they look great- i like the''mystery'' in the second one,.i hope you do well,looks a lot of effort that you put in,and remember''what would have been there if you hadnt entered''?-nothing![thats what i say if someone gets uppity about my entries],.i brought myself 2 bags of potting mix and some snailbait for my bday,while grocerying this morning,.,.im going to rescue the mowed hellebores,.,.nice fritt Dianne-- once again, i have a rescued pot of it here [of fays],.- and yes, i might have a quiet 4xxxx tonight,.-anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8801411

That colts may change it's color as it grows older. That is a beautiful mare. Love buckskins. Maybe the colt will develope into one. Won't it be fun to watch it grow and see. I know it has beautiful long legs too. Love new babys...
Chrissy,
Angel's Moonlight

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 9, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8801512

**♫♪ღ░H░A░P░P░Y░ღ░B░I░R░T░H​░D░A░Y░ ღ♪♫**
Happy Birthday To You♪♫**.♥.**♫♪Happy Birthday To You♪♫*
*.♥.**♫♪Happy Birthday,♪♫**.♥.***♫♪ღ​ღ♪♫**
Happy Birthday To You♪♫**.♥.**♫♪and many more♪♫**
.♥.*♫♪Have a great day :O)♪♫**..*... Anthony

I always ask for manure and river sand for my birthday too (aren't we tragic) still I am cheap to run, some hubby's have to cough up for diamonds, Prada and such. I hope you enjoy your day.

Lots of great hobbies going on there ...can't wait to get away to my little acre somewhere and have time once again ...must make a list.
Marlene good on you for having a go, did you enjoy it? I think enjoying a challenge is a wonderful thing.

What a pretty horse ! Dianne ...what a surprise to have a white foal out of her.

Elaine that looks so cosy but I am guessing you are getting this wind too, it's getting colder by the minute, straight off the Blue Mountains here brrrr. Almost blew me over.

One minute you are cold then off comes the layers as you work, then you get cold again ...that's Spring alright.
Stay warm Teresa, Karen and Pam.
Colleen cute cactus bloom ...guess they will all be out soon.

Charleen Angel's Moonlight is beautiful ... ♥ It !

Jean I hope your hubby is feeling better ...back troubles are an awful thing, I am glad he is resting we only have one back.

Enjoy your day everyone.

To our friends in the USA we are thinking of you ...Fires and Floods, so much like our Country.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

September 9, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8801704

hello all - am having a very rare day off on a Saturday & have been weeding, shopping & helping hubby clear things out of the garage so he can fit his aeroplane into it.
Yes - a real fair dinkum (will fly when it is restored & carry two comfortably) aeroplane.
An Auster - J5 Aiglet Trainer to be precise ;)
I have ranuncs coming up - some are already flowering, I spied 4 lilies peeking out from the soil, 3 look like asiatics but one is different, be interesting to see what develops.

The daffs are looking good, giving them a feed & putting the ash from the pellet fire seems to have agreed with them.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

September 9, 2011
11:31 PM

Post #8801754

never noticed this colouration before - I don't think the edging was as bright in previous years.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

September 9, 2011
11:39 PM

Post #8801762

and this one is a bit different too

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

September 9, 2011
11:44 PM

Post #8801765

voted ChCh's 2nd favourite flower, only the rose polled higher.
there are drifts of daffodils planted on median strips around the city as well as the daffodil lawn in Hagley park & along the banks of the Avon.
this year it is harder to enjoy them as many areas are still cordoned off.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 10, 2011
1:15 AM

Post #8801782

teresa,the more you look into daffodils,the more you will see...New Zealanders are renowned for having some of the best daffs in the world---- and arent i blessed to have my birthday wishes publicised to the world--thank you,.,.10 years tomorrow,since i stopped smoking[ and if i hadnt, i dont think id be here today],.,.heres cheers to everyone!!!!-anthony
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

September 10, 2011
2:41 AM

Post #8801792

Anthony Hope you had a great day a late very happy Birthday.
Chrissy the wind was here also so I rang the daughter inlaw and we had a extra shopping day the only way to keep out of the wind .
Diane I think your new garden ornament is fab.
Marleneann I love your BORN OF THE EARTH display good luck hope you win a place with them bet they were fun to do.
I know its only September but saw my first Christmas trees and decorations for sale to day seems they are in the shops earler every year pity the poor little ones seeing them and not understanding why Santa is not coming for such a long time .------elaine.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 10, 2011

Post #8802580

Good morning everyone. Cold & dull here again. One despairs of ever seeing some sun. but it will appear.
I must not complain when it gets hot or hubby will toss me out in the garden.
I didnt do much yesterday in the garden , but I did take a few cuttings of my parrot plant and put them in the greenhouse.
It is growing very well in the shadehouse, so I thought I should have a few more around.
I am very pleased with the growth on my 2 Daphnes. One white, the other the normal pink. They have doubled their growth since being in the shadehouse.
I found a couple of small pots of things that I had lost behind bigger plants. One is a mystery until it grows a bit more and the other is a. seedling of my black hellebore .

Hello Anthony. Hubby gave up smoking ten years ago too. Congrats, I'm sure you feel a s spry as your daffies now.

Teresa, those daffs are very lovely. I like the edges. . Daffs deserve to be widely planted as they are so easy care and look so bright on dull spring days.

Hello Elaine, good idea to go shopping out of the wind. What did you buy ?

Lovely craft work Marlene.

Hello Chrissy, lovely to see you popping in . I hope all is going well with your brother .
I think you will be having a lovely surprise next year when all those chopped brugs grow twice as much.

Dianne, very pretty fritillary . I love mauves & purples. I should try some here. I have never seen any fritillaries growing anywhere, only pictures.

Colleen, How are you going to spend all your leisure while the boys are away ?
Lots of garden time , I bet.
Your shadehouse will be full of broms by now. I may have to get a few of the large pups off my mums so there is a bit more room in mine.

Charleen, are you getting lots of Fall color on the trees now ? I do hope the awful heat has eased for you all.
Our thoughts are with everyone in the USA on this day of rememberence for 9/11.

Hello Karen, Pam and anyone else out there.
I am going to look around the garden today and see what else I can get cuttings from.
I still have some weeds to get rid of but while its wet, they have to stay there.

Keep warm and safe.
Try this Dutch Apple Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8802728

I love the weather this week. Even had a couple days with NO airconditioner, not today, it warmed up a little. But still so nice outside. I love the Fall and Spring.
I'm sure there will be leaf changes as it has been so dry. I know there have been several trees die from lack of moisture.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

September 10, 2011
10:53 PM

Post #8803092

A beautiful morning but now a stray puff of cold wind plays around then moves on and odd spots of rain .
Yesterdays shopping was nothing breathtaking Spotlight had furnishing material $2 per metre so got a few metres of bright colours always handy to make cushins for out side. but most was dark colours
they had cheap silk cushin covers they will be nice to put into gift parcels at Christmas .Some chair covers half price.
Then at the warehouse I bought a moon chair I dont know why its called a moon chair when really its a saucer chair from the 70's, needed a new flag mine was so faded , it does not seem like much but I had the back seat full and Trish had a full boot of her buys.

To-day since I arrived home after lunch I have started to move things around in the BBQarea I have taken down shelfs moved some plants around and rearranged one wall so far .Now time to take a rest. elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 10, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8803094

Good afternoon everyone. We've had a few showers of rain today but not too cold, a little wind. Marlene the arrangements are lovely. I hope you won some prizes with them. Have been out taking some pics so will share some with you. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 10, 2011
11:04 PM

Post #8803095

Elaine it looks are though you had a great shopping time. Here's another pic. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

September 10, 2011
11:21 PM

Post #8803101

Colleen I love shopping but I only buy if its marked down. Most of the fun for me is finding the markdowns.----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 10, 2011
11:27 PM

Post #8803105

I love shopping to Elaine, but I don't like it if I haven't any money. My sister goes window shopping all the time, but I like to have money in my purse just in case. Sometimes I don't buy anything at all but most times I'll find something for the boys to do craft with. The cheap shops are great for pipe cleaners, bright pompoms, pop sticks, etc Cameren is looking for some pipe cleaners in the craft drawers at the moment to make an ant. I had better give him a hand. Colleen
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

September 11, 2011
12:16 AM

Post #8803127

Colleen if your out of pipe cleaners do you have any twist tie wire sure thate would do the job for legs. elaine
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 11, 2011
1:37 AM

Post #8803133

o/k ive got the photos cooking,.,.problem was with the camera[ operater],..,.,from last weekend,.,. my floral art entry 'cris cross'

Thumbnail by g_whizz

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 11, 2011
2:13 AM

Post #8803136

mollys entry in novice'blue on blue'- you can see who taught her well

Thumbnail by g_whizz

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 11, 2011
2:26 AM

Post #8803140

can i show you 2 of the smallest daffodils in the world,.,.'ferdie'

Thumbnail by g_whizz

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 11, 2011
2:37 AM

Post #8803144

some old turkey won 'club champion'

Thumbnail by g_whizz

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 11, 2011
3:31 AM

Post #8803157

Whoohoo Anthony. good on you. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8803668

Dratted ol turkey. You sure have some beauties there Anthony.
Beautiful Elaine...
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8803885

Anthony, I've never seen those tiny daffodils before. Exquisite! Do you grow all those flowers? For some reason, I associate you with liliums only. Silly me.

Marlene, your floral entries are stunning. I love the first one.

Elaine, I never get tired of seeing your craft work.

Good morning world. Beautiful here, if a bit cool early in the morning.

This is about as many flowers I will get on my Pink Snowflake at any one time. I should be pleased then that the flowering will last longer. My other epis are coming along slowly slowly.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 11, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8803898

Good morning everyone. Very dull here this morning but hubby says the forecast is for warmer weather. We may even get into the 20s by next weekend. I'll believe that when it arrives.

Anthony, you clever man. ( sorry, clever old turkey)
Congrats on the awards, especially the Club Champion award.
Its nice to know your hobby can bring such pleasure.
I bet Molly was very happy too. Her entry is great. Love the color.
I do like that daff with the elongated narrow trumpet.
I have never seen one like it before. Which is it ?

Hello Elaine. You had a few great buys there. Its fun to look for the cut price things .

Hello Colleen. Beautiful flowers. Is that your yellow clivia ? Mine isnt right out yet.

Hello Charleen. Nice to hear that you are getting some better weather. Hugs for Charley.

Hello to everyone else. I am hoping for some sunshine here later, so I can get outside for a while.
Have some of these Lemon Bars with your morning cuppa. .
Hope you all had a great weekend.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 11, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8803926

Good morning everyone. Karen that epi is really pretty. I was given a piece of a pink one last year, I don't know if it's the same but I hope so. I have lots of buds on my epis this year. There should be a beautiful display later. A couple of pieces that I was given last year, a tropical colour and an irridecent? one have buds on this year. "Clown" has grown well Jean but no buds as yet. That will be something to see I think. It's 1C here this morning but the sun is shining so should be a nice day. I was supposed to go for a blood test this morning but have 2 little boys , 1 who had gastro all weekend and still not feeling the best and 1 who started vomiting last night at bed time and is still feeling queasy. I have a DR's app. at 12 00 so will still try to keep that if I can get someone to watch the boys. I only need repeats for my meds but they may not give them to me unless I have the blood tests. catch 22. Elaine it's great to see that your garden is rewarding you. You spend so much energy out there, it's great. I hope everyone is well and I'll be back later. Sorry to bump into you Jean. Let's have a cuppa together before we go. Yes that's my yellow Clivia. I have a couple of nice size pups in that pot too, will let them stay with Mum and maybe I'll get more than one or two sprays of flowers. Colleen

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011 7:49 AM

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8803974

Hi Colleen. Lovely geranium. German Empress is another lovely pink epi with a small flower (by comparison to other epis), so which ever pink one you have, it will be beautiful. Marlene gave me a cutting of German Empress some time ago, but the plant isn't big enough to flower yet. Maybe next year. My Clown did start to get buds but they didn't develop. They are still sitting there but I think they should have done something by now if they were going to. Again, maybe next year. Clown is a stunner!

Hope you can get your meds OK, and that the boys recover quickly.

Karen

This message was edited Sep 11, 2011 3:54 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 11, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8804217

Sam Stosur, you beauty...what a great game she played...cleaning up Serena Williams is no mean feat..
Morning all, had to watch the tennis...great result.
Thanks for the pics Anthony, so glad that you had success with them this year...and Carlton too, sob...

Colleen, the Clivia and Velthemias are lovely...hope the boys get better quickly, there's nothing worse than a tummy upset.

Karen, I think Clown is a beauty too...

Back later..
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8804428

Belated Happy Birthday Anthony! I hope it was a great day!

Jeanne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 11, 2011
9:48 PM

Post #8804450

Colleen, I hope the boys are better soon. Nothing worse than tummy upsets in kids.

I still have hubby in bed with his back for most of the day. He does get up but unless I push him to go back to bed, he will start doing something in his shed and then feel even worse.

I have been right out around the back of the orchard in places where no man has gone before, for along time anyway.
I found 3' milk thistles and large spiky ones too. I usually dont go that way as it means pushing through the shrubs and there is nothing except the natives growing out there .
Looks like i will have to get in with the Roundup. I do it once a year then forget about it.
The darn weeds know this so they tend to get quite large.

Just planted 2 more clivia seeds. These are from 2 tone orange crytanthiflora x yellow. which have unusual hanging flowers. Very pretty.
Better get back to it.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 11, 2011
9:51 PM

Post #8804452

Jean, my Summer Hill Abutilon seeds have arrived...I ordered yellow, pink and salmon and they sent red, as a gift...
I will wait until the summer to sow, I think...it says 72 -76 degrees on the pack..
Your's probably won't be long now...

Jeanne, how have you been coping with the terrible weather in Texas...not too much damage to your garden I hope...

Couldn't resist this pic of Ray and the cats...the minute he is in the kitchen...they are right there..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2011
10:21 PM

Post #8804471

Seachanger...by staying inside! haha! It's supposed to be 99 deg F for the next two days again! No rain in site! If I go out it's usually later in the eveing. It's hard to believe it's almost the middle of Sept. It usually starts to cool down by now. Well, actually it has...we did have three digit temps for 24 days in a row. We have lost 5 azalea plants, several majesty palms, some ferns, some baby sagos, and may lose one of our young magnolia trees out front. My front yard is dead. It will have to be reseeded in the fall.

I have managed to water the back and most of my houseplants, plumies, and banana trees are OK. I did get my little rock garden waterfall put in just off of the patio when it got down to 89 a week or two ago.

This is the hottest summer on record I believe. It is unreal.

This is my little rock garden waterfall...

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8804477

Another view of the rock garden waterfall

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 12, 2011
12:11 AM

Post #8804511

Hello Jeanne that is a lovely little place you have created there, I am very glad you are ok after seeing what Texas is going through. I sure hope you get some relief soon.

You too Charleen ...and all of our American gardeners and friends, our lovely Canadian gardeners must be getting cooler weather by now I guess.
Dianne and Jean looks like it is going to be the year of the Lanterns and Salvias ...it will be very interesting following their progress. Good luck with your seeds.
Yes good on Sam ...unfortunately I missed it ...nurse day is always very busy then afterwards trying to get some stuff done outside. I hope they replay it. Leyton won the year the Towers were destroyed.One day we were thrilled and the next we were heartbroken.

Elaine as usual you have been such a creative lady ...looking good !

Anthony good on you ...well done and it runs in the family.

Hope everything went ok at the docs Colleen.

Karen I hope your Clown blooms for you soon.

Today while I had my head down outside ...I heard a loud noise, my hubby has been using an angle grinder on and off all weekend but this was a different loud sound, as I stood up my eyes could not believe what I could see, just a few feet above my head was a black buzzing cloud of bees swarming right over the top of me and it was about twenty foot wide and went on for a few minutes. Well my heart hammered and I forced myself to remain still. It was just like you see in the Movies (killers bees attack so and so) since I am allergic to bee stings for a few minutes I thought maybe my number may be up.
Needless to say I am still here and for that I am most grateful. Whew !!!!

A big wave to every one. Enjoy your evening.
Oops edited to say how much I have been enjoying the pictures and Teresa there is no doubt you have beautiful cool climate plants over there in NZ ...I hope you are settling into your new job and feel good about it.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011 6:15 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 12, 2011
12:25 AM

Post #8804512

Jeanne, that really is an oasis in your garden and a pretty one too...don't those Frangipanis love the heat...they just soak it up...

Chrissy those bees would have been very scary...especially when you are alergic to them...

Those new Clivia seeds sound interesting, Jean...good luck with those.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 12, 2011
1:36 AM

Post #8804529

Karen, i do grow daffs,and mini daffs[and i associate with the 'king of daffodils''- at glenbrook bulb farm]- email yor address and i'll stick you on his daffy catalogue list..as jean and dianne are!!!Jean,that elongated[shrivelled] one is 'charity may'[too long in the fridge, and croaked, not long after judging]-i'll have 2-3 bulbs this year,.Dianne i won the work footy tipping, with 3 right and 23 margin,.,.marleanne- c'mon, fill us in on your show results!!!

Thumbnail by g_whizz

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8804807

happy Birthday, Anthony and everyone else I've missed.
My clivia had a seed pod on it. Wonder if the seeds are good????
Gout plant has a seed on it too. This is bloom it has. Got to look up Latin name.
I do good to remember "gout plant"

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 12, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8805553

Good morning everyone. Lovely to see so many faces in for a cuppa.
I am waiting to see how warm it gets at the end of the week and I think my garden is looking for a bit more sun too.
Showery overnight after a cold day yesterday.
Its interesting to see what the weather is in each of our areas .

Jeanne, I hope you get some real Fall weather soon. It is no picnic having so much heat .
Love the little waterfall.

Charleen, thats an unusual flower. I looked it up and its also called Buddha Belly because of the swollen trunk it forms.
Apparently the right name is jatropha podagrica. A real mouthful of a name.

Hello Anthony. I did love the little daffs ( Ferdie) you showed too. Very cute.
I have lots of those lilium seeds sprouting now.
There will be a large lilium area next year as all the little bulbs are popping up too. I have them in pots of 4 or 6 but will put them in individual pots next year.

Hello Chrissy, lovely to see you taking a bit of time for yourself. Hope all is well with your brother.
I am glad those bees ignored you. They usually will when swarming. I used to have them in one house I was renting and they swarmed every year.
I was careful too, as , like you, I am allergic to the stings.
I saw a European wasp her the other day. I hope we dont get too many around here. There are always some about each year looking for nest sites .
Luckily we dont have any nests in our area and never more than one or two of the females at a time. Hubby gets out and kills them. I have never seen an insect go down so quickly with just a whiff of insect spray.
I said to hubby , just showing them the tin should shock them to death.

Hello Dianne. I will be watching the mail today for my abutilon seeds. It has been way too long. I have had seeds ordered well after them from other places , that have arrived in just a week or so.
I am waiting on a couple of clivia seeds from China now.

Hello Colleen, Pam, Sue and Teresa.

The sun has just come out so I may get out and do a bit of spraying on those thistles I found lurking yesterday.

Have a happy day everyone and stay warm and safe. Maybe I should say stay cool and safe for our American friends.
Enjoy this Pumpkin Cheesecake.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 12, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8805613

Morning everyone. I have the bug now, so won't hang around. Be back when I feel better. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 12, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8806128

That is an interesting plant Charleen ...
http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/jatropha_podagrica.htm
I haven't ever seen it before.

That is a pretty daffy Anthony ...I guessed you were a bulb person ^_^

Dianne even though I don't usually worry too much about bees ...that was scary, one year they went into our brickwork and it was very scary, I felt awful but no one would come and remove them so I softened a cake of soap and went out and stopped up the hole between the bricks where they had gotten into the double brickwork. I waited until they had all gone out to forage then slammed the goo into the hole as fast as possible. It worked.Prior to that you could hear them buzzing in the walls.

Sorry to hear you got the bug Colleen ...hope you feel better soon.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8806158

Hello everyone,
Chrissy I am so glad that you are OK!!!!! I too am allergic to bees. I would have been terrified. I don't think standing still would have been one of my strategies...heart failure maybe haha. That's why I tore down the yellow jasmine on the gazebo, and now it is back almost as strong. It was just loaded with bees.

It is supposed to be 102 tomorrow. The weatherman did say that the tropics are clear and should remain that way until the end of the month, so that is a major relief.

Have to go to Mom's (now my sister's) tomorrow for the termite inspection so maybe we can go thru some more things. We're almost done with the bedrooms and sewing room and living room and front closet. It just takes time.

I did manage to water the back today. I do it in shifts.

Hope everyone is OK. Thank you for your kind words about the rock garden. I am so glad that you like it. I just love it. It is so relaxing to sit out there. You can get lost in time out there. It's so peaceful.

Jeanne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 12, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8806162

Chrissy, in regard to bees in walls etc.
The house I mentioned above that had bee swarms, had bees in the walls for over 40 years. You could hear all the buzzing inside through the walls. I was always thinking if the thin ply on the walls broke, I would be inundated with bees. If you put your hand on the wall you could feel the movement.
The owners had not long bought the house so they wanted to get rid of the bees. People had been trying for a long time but the bees kept coming back.
A apiarist came to inspect them and said they would return because they could smell the honey residue.
He took the outside timber off and completely cleaned out the hive which reached from the ground to the roof. It took days to remove it all and he said the only way to keep them away was to thoroughly wash the whole area with lots of vinegar. We did that, then replaced the wall and the owner filled every little crevice with that expanding stuff used as insulation or something. The bees never came back all the time I was there.
Just a though for anyone worried with bees.
I have millions here in the garden , but no close hives. I am lucky they all seem to be friendly bees.
I have met some unfriendly ones.
A few years before I met hubby, I was helping a friend in her garden out on her farm. She had a beehive in the shed near the house. The bees were definitely not friendly as numerous people had been stung. I kept away from the area but one day we were weeding on the other side of the house. , a bee came straight for me and stung me on the arm. My friend was amazed as she said the bee came around the corner and went straight for me.
She had never seen a reaction to a sting like I get. Her son wanted to take me to a doctor, but I am used to doing what I need so didnt worry.
I saw a bee do the exact same thing a few weeks later but I got out of the way. I have never seen bees deliberately target anyone before.
No wonder so many people had been stung out there.
I talk to the bees in the garden, so perhaps they know I look after them with water etc.
Jean.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 12, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8806200

Anthony, just letting you know I sent you a Dmail. :)

Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 12, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8806216

Hi all, on the subject of bees a couple of years ago a Queen bee decided that my compost bin was the perfect place for a hive...they had made about 6'' of honeycomb before I noticed what they were up to.

Couldn't smoke them out so I decided to annoy them by flipping off the lid and hosing them from a safe distance...took a day or so...but they moved on...I still have the honeycomb/bees' wax...I was going to make a furniture polish, but as usual never got around to it.

Anthony, what is that gorgeous Daffy...is it Rod's...before I enlarged it, I thought that it was something artificial that you had made...all that I could read was un-named seedling...what a ripper.!!!!!
Congrats on winning the tipping comp...

Get better soon, Colleen you poor thing...

Jean, remember the Blue Bag remedy for stings...I wonder if it ever worked.
Dianne.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 12, 2011
11:27 PM

Post #8806232

Cant remember if the blue bag worked or not now , Dianne. I do remember there always being one sitting on the window sill in the laundry and mum using it on wash days. Just like the long blocks of Velvet soap and the square blocks of sandsoap for washing dirty hands.
Phenyle for the old outdoor dunny too.
The sun has come out properly now that its way too late to do anything outside.
Maybe tomorrow.
I have a new daff coming out . I bought it on eBay quite a while ago . I will take a pic when it opens up. Very pretty one called Strawberry Ruffles.
Jean. .

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 12, 2011
11:45 PM

Post #8806235

Jean, I can smell the Phenyle and the Velvet and feel the sandsoap...if I really concentrate I can feel the steam from the copper.
The Blue bag always left a blue mark on the window sill...remember the copper stick that you poked the clothes with?
I wonder who made those sticks, no one ever had a new one..maybe they were cut down broom handles...

I like the sound of Strawberry Ruffles, I would like a white double next year...
Dianne..
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 13, 2011
2:07 AM

Post #8806253

spot on the money with rods daff, Dianne

Thumbnail by g_whizz

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 13, 2011
2:18 AM

Post #8806254

heres another

Thumbnail by g_whizz

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 13, 2011

Post #8807063

Good morning everyone. I am in a bit of a hurry this morning so will just put out some cake for you all and get on with what I have to do.
Here we are Caramel Crunch Cake.
Hello to all and I hope you are getting some nice weather. It looks like being a lovely day here so far.
See you all later.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 13, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8807077

Good morning everyone. I'm feeling a bit better today but my body feels so weak. I had a little salad to eat for tea last night but that's all so might feel better if I can get some weetbix into me this morning. The boys are both going to school today but their appetites aren't the best. It's even an effort to think what to write so will leave it and come back later. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8807191

G'mornin to ya!

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 13, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8807332

Hello all. I am back again. I had to do a few things for hubby as he is still not 100%. He is managing to get around slowly but things take longer to heal when you age.
It started out to be a lovely sunny day but has deteriorated to cloudy & cold with a shower or two likely.
I will tackle a few weeds later as there are a few growing around some bulbs.
Hello Charleen, hugs for Charley.

Hello Colleen, get better soon . Maybe you can find a sunny spot to sit outside if your weather is okay.

Hello Anthony . More little lilium seeds are coming up. They love it in the warm of the mini greenhouse.

Dianne this is my daff, Strawberry Ruffles.
Quite pretty , but more orange than strawberry.
I have some new tulips nearly out. I bought purple tulips but these are bright red.
I forget now if I did buy red as well.

Better go and get some lunch ready. I'll pop down to the mail box first and see if my abutilon seeds have arrived.
See you all alter. Enjoy the sun if you have any.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 13, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8807335

guess it's almost afternoon rather than good morning.

The nurse had the learners here with her today ...so late start.

Hubby turns 74 today bless him. So lots to do ...everyone else is very busy too by the look of it ...likewise I will pop in later.
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 13, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8807592

Happy Birthday to your husband, Chrissie...hope he has a nice day..

Jean, I hope that your husband is feeling better soon and Colleen is too...
Lovely Daffy, I have only ever had one that even slightly resembled a pink...most are very wishy washy.
Looking forward to your tulip pics...hope you bought both colours...

Charleen, I was just looking at some Morning Glory seeds and that pretty one was amongst them...
Unfortunately it's one of the banned ones here...there are so many lovely colours how many do you have?
I love them but I can understand why they are on the banned list...

Anthony, they were very pretty those Daffs...my little upsidedown Lilium, Duchatrei is growing the right way up this year...Henryii is up and growing and Cardiocrinum has sent up 2 shoots now at about 20'' apart...I am hoping that Nepalense is ok, it's in with some others about the same age...so I won't know until it grows...

Went to Bunnings this morning and bought 3 black plastic trays at $4 each...one I have put on the bottom of the plastic SH fits perfectly...the others are on the BBQ table to hold the water when I give my Bat Plant and another nameless plant a drink...also bought 2 plastic tubs in lime green, $5 ea.
They had them in lovely gelati colours...I don't know what I will do with them...but they were pretty and cheap...what more could I ask.

Have a look at how tall this Tulip is...It's Claudia the one that I posted last week...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8807782

I have several morning glories.
This one has varigated leaves, beautiful pink color.
Beautiful day here. Coolness in the air and Hopefully Rain tomarrow.
Love and mule nuzzles to all.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 14, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8808241

Hello. I am up early as my shoulder is giving me heaps.

Charleen, I love the Morning Glory too. We have a wild version here that can take over acres at a time, destroying the trees, covering everything.

What a lovely tulip, Dianne. Pretty colour and such a long stem. Is that usual for that one? Have you noticed that Bunnings seem to be getting more exotic plants in lately?

Chrissy, I hope your hubby had a very pleasant day, and you too. I personally feel that birthdays get more special as you get older.

Jean, that is a lovely daffodil. I hope your hubby feels good again soon.

Colleen, I hope you feel better today. Do take care.

Hope everyone has a real nice day, and that all the aches and pains and bugs go find another place to hide, preferably on another planet.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 14, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8808498

Good morning everyone. Looks like being a nice day but it is really chilly as the temp was down to 1C this morning.
Shopping day today so I am off on my own this morning. Hubby is still not really good enough to be walking around town and he hates sitting around waiting for me to shop.

✲ ❈ ✲ ❈ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ HAPPY BIRTHDAY TERESA ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ ✲ ❈ ✲ ❈

I hope your day is wonderful.

Hello to everyone else and I hope you are all feeling great and looking forward to lots of spring flowers.
Bette get myself going as I still have to do the banking, which I do online each fortnight.
Its easier and means I dont have to run here and there paying bills.
I can then spend what I have left without worrying about having to keep any back
I hope I find an orphan as I havent bought one for ages.
The magnolia orphans I planted earlier in the year are looking great with all their new leaves and a flower on the biggest one.

Heres a pretty birthday cake for Teresa which I am sure she will share with you all
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 14, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8808546

Oh what a beautiful cake, Jean.

Happy Birthday Teresa. Hope you have a beautiful day. You deserve it.

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8808660

Happy♫♪ Birthday, ♪ Teresa♫♪

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 14, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8808974

░░░|█▓(`:).█▓█▓█▓█.(`:).█▓█▓█▓█.(`:).▓█|
░░|▓( `.\\|/.) ▓█▓█ ( `.\\|/.) ▓█▓█ ( `.\\|/.)▓|
░|█▓( `.(█).)░░:░░( `.(█).)░░ ░░( `.(█).)▓█|
░|█▓(_.//:\\`._)░░ :░░(_.//'\\`._)░░: ░░(_.//'\\`._)▓█|
♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ ❃ ❂ ❁... Happy Birthday.. Teresa ...❃ ❂ ❁ ♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪

I hope you are having a lovely day.

It's quite hot out there ...I have been out there and have come inside with a very red face.
Trouble is the cold is coming back next week after a couple of 30C days coming up over the weekend (here anyway).

I used to be out there at dawn but I can't get outside until after 10 these days and it gets hot so quickly, my adventure for this morning was having the nozzle fly off my very long hose and getting drenched ! lol , thank goodness it was not cold out there.
My Spaghetti Squash seeds have germinated and are starting to make the true leaves.
I am really tired now so it's lunch and a bit of a rest for me. Hardly slept last night because the burn off smoke from the Blue Mountains was so thick it was tickling my throat, I sure hope the burn offs were successful.
Loving the tulip, the birthday cake,the daffys, the butterfly and the MG's. ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 14, 2011
11:40 PM

Post #8809053

I'm back from shopping and feeling a bit worn out.
There were a lot of light rain sprinkles most of the day and it has turned a bit cold again now after being not too bad and no wind.
I only found one little orphan to bring home. A cute little conifer for bonsai.
He already has a lean on, so will do well in one of my bonsai pots.
All my other bonsais are looking good with lots of new leaves . They have come on well after their repotting a while back.
I dont fuss with them as I am no expert doer of bonsai. I just like to try things and am very happy with all mine. I am waiting for the day the wisteria flowers. It is about 7 years old . The Lilly Pilly has grown into a very nice tree too.
The cascading conifer had to be put up on a higher brick as it has grown down so much.
Better go and have a cuppa. I am looking forward to an nice toasted ham sandwich for tea.
Hope you got lots of pressies Teresa.
Keep warm and dry
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 14, 2011
11:56 PM

Post #8809059

Happy Birthday Teresa, hope you had a lovely day...

Karen, I don't think that tulip should be so tall...I don't remember what fertiliser I used either...maybe it got a dash of the molasses/epsom salts and beer...that the Brugs have...lol..that would make it stand up and take notice...that flower has been out for two weeks...I love the shape...

Chrissie, it would be hard on anyone who had asthma, all that smoke...
Good that your veggies are starting to grow...you will have a good crop by the sound of it.
I was thinking about trying Asparagus peas, anyone grown them?
Colleen, hope you are feeling better.
Jean, glad that you had a good day...those bonsai sound beaut...
Dianne

This message was edited Sep 15, 2011 6:02 PM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 15, 2011
1:17 AM

Post #8809081

happy birthday -Teresa

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8809184

Looks like Nature decided to rumble again for Teresa's birthday. Hope all is well in ChCh after the 6.0 quake in NZ...one of 3 nearly simultaneous quakes around the world.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8809808

Happy Birthday Teresa!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 15, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8809981

Good morning everyone. Looks like a lovely morning may turn into a lovely day.
No wind and the sun is shining in a blue sky. Oh joy ...
I may get out a bit of Roundup and sneak up on a few weeds that think they are hiding from me.

Teresa, were things jumping about for your birthday ? Nothing on our news about it.
But then , I find that if you are some sports person getting into something you shouldnt, it will make headlines , where the interesting news gets forgotten.
Did you get some nice things for your birthday ?

Hubby is up and walking around more now, with the aid of his crutches. They do come in handy. Lucky he kept them from his original back operation.
He was looking at some of the garden yesterday afternoon and found one of the baby magpies had ended up on the ground.
He put him back in the tree and he is still there this morning ( the maggie , not hubby ) . I am glad the B*** cat didnt get him, but the parents are vigilant.
We will have more babies soon. The parents will eventually bring them down to us to feed . One has to laugh at the antics. They all have personalities just like people.
They have their likes and dislikes too. I laugh because most of the adults wont eat worms but shove them down the throats of their children.
They love spiders . Hubby will toss out any huntsmen that he catches inside. They really love mice and will stand around the cat when it carts one in the yard. The cat had one the other day and was playing with it as cats do. He would let it go and then catch it. He just wasnt as quick as the magpie though. The minute the mouse was free down swooped Gubby and grabbed it . It was so funny to see the cat looking around ,going meow.
Yes Gubby ( short for Garbage) I name all the magpies. Treasure is my favorite and will follow me around the garden like a puppy . She likes to walk around with me in the hope I will turn over a log or stone for grubs.
They all line up on the shadehouse roof at feed time. Believe me , they know the time. Must have a clock somewhere.
Their claws were going to tear the shadecloth so we nailed a piece of wood along the edge for them to stand on.
If hubby leaves the lid off the container off dry cat food , they come in on the veranda and help themselves.

Hello Moon , Charleen and Texasgal. Hope all is well in your areas now after the heat and fires.

Louise must be thinking of getting ready for the move back south later. Hope the girls are keeping well.

Hello Colleen, Dianne, Elaine, Pam and Karen.
Hope the warmer weather is helping all those aches and bugs go away.

Anthony, lots of little lilium seedlings standing up now. They are popping up nearly while you watch.

I am off out to pot my new little conifer into a bonsai pot. He will go down in the shadehouse with all the ohers.

Better move and get the washing done first.
Heres something nice to start the day. Raspberry Truffle Tart.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 15, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8809991

Happy Birthday for yesterday, Teresa. Hope you had a wonderful day. Good morning everyone. I'm feeling much better now thanks everyone. The boys are back at school and all's well in the Morris household. I have just been taking it easy and pottering around. Had a huge wash to do yesterday because I hadn't washed for a few days, but it's all done and inside again. It's supposed to be 30C today but it's overcast at the moment so don't know if we're to get rain or not. Overcast is good for today though, because the boys have their intersports day at Berri and it might not be too hot if the sun stays behind some cloud. They went to Cubs last night and they got an invitation to go on a Cuboree Camp in November. It's in the Adelaide Hills not far from where John lives. I haven't made up my mind whether they will go as yet because there will be over 700 kids there and it might be pretty overwhelming for them. I'll see when the time gets closer. Jean did you see that guy who makes bonsai out of natives. They were beautiful. A perfectly formed minature gum tree. It was beautiful. When I see bonsai I always think of those poor Japanese women who have their feet bandaged. It's really the same thing isn't it? I hope everyone is feeling well today, not too many aches and pains I hope. I'll be back later. I've put the kettle on for everyone. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 15, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8810450

Sorry late late late ...yay the weekend is coming.
Freedom (sort of ) for a couple of days.
I have been trying to catch up since the nurse has gone ...it's hard because it's lunch time almost by the time it's over and then you have to feed the boys and medicate one of them.
So finally I get in here and was so excited by cestrum's wonderful pictures I was just swept away ...sigh, so happy.

Where is the birthday girl ?
I hope she is off somewhere having a great time.
No news of an Earthquake here, I hope everything is ok.

Jean I miss my maggies ...they went away after the cats moved in but I can hear lots of lovely songs out there way up in the larger trees down the back . Noisy minors are gone too, lots of froggys out now too.
We still have lots of smoke going on with the back burning, no wonder the bees are swarming.

A big wave to everyone, yippee ...it's Friday !

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 16, 2011
12:01 AM

Post #8810558

Lovely day here...warmer tomorrow.

Lots of maggies here too, though not tame ones like yours Jean...plus all the Superb wren families from last year...I think that every Pittosporum in my neighbourhood has a nest...the wrens love them...flashes of brilliant blue hopping around the garden...lovely.

I potted up some seedlings today...they are all growing very quickly...
Bought a new Petunia today, it is gorgeous...the colour is almost black with a white star...fittingly it's called Twilight...I have a flower on it, but I'll wait until there are a few before I post.

Tomorrow I'm off to Mt Macedon for their annual plant sale...every year the mountain is shrouded in
mist and you can't see the Cross at the top...this year is going to be a lot warmer so we might be able to see the views...

Have a good weekend all, Anthony good luck for tomorrow night...it will be tough.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2011 6:04 PM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 16, 2011
1:29 AM

Post #8810584

yes it will be tough, so im not going to 'flap off' like a rip in a circus tent,.,.anything is possible,.,.Sydney tonight maybe?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 16, 2011
1:36 AM

Post #8810586

My money is on Sydney, even though they just said Buddy is playing...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8810697

The temperature is getting better with each day. It is cooling down even Charley likes to kick up his heels and run, then all four of them will be running thu the pastures. It is so cute to see.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 16, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8811333

Good morning everyone. Looks like being another lovely spring day as was yesterday.
the wind came back late in the afternoon and the temps dropped with it.
I am going to pot up afew of the larger cuttings I have in the greenhouse today. They can then go outside.
I spent quite a while after lunch yesterday sewing up the oldest greenhouse. It has lasted very well in all weather but has started to come apart at the seams.
I will hav eto save up and get another as this one is full of the broms and I cant have them getting all wet in winter. They will be okay until next year as the weather fines up more. I hope to have a new one by then.
When I do get it , I will not have to move the broms as I can just erect it over them.
Lots of buds coming on the Dutch Iris and roses now .

Hello Charleen, I can just see Charley and friends running around in the green grass.
Glad the heat is going now.

Hello Anthony, Colleen and Dianne.
Also Chrissy, Pam and Karen.
Elaine and Teresa too.
I am off out in the sun. I have a bit of washing to hang out before I start feeding all the brugs.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Try this Chocolate Coconut Cake with a nice cuppa.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 16, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8811435

Good morning. Such a lovely morning. Cool but not too cool. Will be a warm day. I feel rather useless as my daughter is moving down to the Coast today, and I can't help out, I'd only be in the way. But have just spoken to her, and she is just waiting now for the removalists to arrive with her stuff. We'll see her Monday for her birthday.

So many buds on my epis, I hope we don't get any damaging storms before they flower. The winds have knocked a few off, not many. Other buds forming on my tillandsias, which is truly exciting as I've not seen them in flower yet either.

Have just dug up my raised vege garden, ready to add more soil and some seeds. Have planted tomatoes and parsley in the wheelbarrow, and they look very happy with themselves. I harvested a crop of sweet potatoes from the barrow, but then pulled it all out as they take up all the room and run rampart. My nasturtiums seem to have interbred so much, they are now all the one colour, a red splashed orange/yellow.

Looks like being a glorious weekend weatherwise. I hope everyone takes time out to really enjoy it.

Karen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 16, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8811469

It's going to be hot out there over the weekend so please forgive my absence, must make morning tea for the boys then make a move out there before I am driven inside by the heat (I burn very easily and am allergic to sun block ).

I hope the day is bright and shiny as can be for everyone.
Back later !
Here Jean (*my shout ) an iced coffee all round.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 17, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8812470

Good morning everyone. A beautiful day yesterday and should be the same today. Its so nice to be able to get out in the warm sunshine . I was able to get to a few areas and pull weeds but today, I am going to tackle the iris beds. They are so overgrown. Doesnt seem to bother the irises though. There are a couple of flower stalks out there already.
Lots of ranuncs & anemones coming out too.
I see that the bluebells are starting to flower ( and pink bells) They dont flower every year here.
The nasturtiums are climbing the trees and getting around in all sorts of odd places. One thing about them, they are easy to contain.
I just leave them mainly unless they try to invade into the main garden areas.
I see tiny shoots on my tuberous begonias . They are still out in the fern house. I usually hang them in the shed during winter, but forgot this year. They dont seem bothered anyway.

Hello Chrissy, hope your vegie garden is getting off to a great start.

Hello to everyone else. I ma off to enjoy the sun outside. There is no wind as yet so I may even get some spraying done early.

Have a great day and stay safe.
Enjoy these Chocolate Rum Truffles with your morning cuppa.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 17, 2011

Post #8812494

Good morning everyone. We had a really hot day here yesterday and a nasty wind but it's quite cool here again this morning. The garden is starting to flourish now. Buds on the roses and some deep purple irises out and a white one. All the others are powering away too. Butter Bomb is doing his fine job as usual. I only have the one bud on RFP at the moment and it's nearly out. Can't wait for that to flush again. The broms are all looking great but I need more shadehouse room. Soon I hope. The boys had a big day yesterday and are still sound asleep. It's lovely and quiet here at the moment. The only noises are the birds and the rooster. Heaven. I hope everyone is well and Teresa I hope you had a wonderful birthday. That earthquake was a fair way out to sea so I hope NZ didn't get any repercussions from it. I'll be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2011
8:28 PM

Post #8812861

Hi Everyone! Cooler here and a great day for shopping! It sprinkled a little and is supposed to rain all week. We sure could use it!!!! Other parts of Texas got some rain today! Yeah!!!!!!!

Ummmmmmm Yummy Jean! Do you have the recipe for that? Looks devine!

What a beauty Colleen! Love that color!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with your veggies Chrissy!

Jeanne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 17, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8812863

Well things were enjoyable until the big hot wind blew me back inside ...the smoke is still going on and when the hot wind blows in it's a little scary. If that cool change that is forecast arrives it will be one loo loo of a storm.

Didn't get to finish doing a lot of stuff but really it isn't good to be moving plants into pots under those conditions so it's domestics here.
I did get the seeds in before it happened the water out of the hose was practically too hot for my hands. I guess we got your nasty wind Colleen .
The blossoms on my fruit trees have all opened but I doubt they will hang on in this wind.
Oh but i can't complain since we are presently enjoying our delicious bananas ...sugar bananas that are ripened on the tree.
Guess it was too early for the bats to come in this year ...we had to chop them down but the shoots will grow again. Fancy thinking bananas will catch fire.
Well I hope everyone is enjoying their arvo.
Good luck with all your seeds, cuttings potting and buds ...it's Spring ! and don't we love it ! ((♥‿♥))

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 17, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8812868

Thankyou Jeanne I hope all is settling down in your World ...hope you get your share of rain.
Hope you get time to have some calming respite in your special little corner of the garden.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8812886

Hi Chrissy!

YES!!!!!!! Cooler, and rain...can't be beat! Sure hope y'all do not get this scorching HOT weather we just had. What a summer. So glad itis over. Almost anyway.

And here it is almost Fall! The stores have Halloween decorations out, and fall decorating items...I don't do seasonal. I stay "tropical" all year long. haha!!!!!

I LOVE my little garden! It is soooo precious. It just makes me feel so good! I love waterfalls. One of my fondest memories from living on Oahu, Hawaii, was to go to Sacred Falls to see the waterfall. It was sooooo beautiful. Just give me a hut and a waterfall and I'm happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A ukelele...maybe. haha!

Love it! Have a great day!

Jeanne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 17, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8812897

Loving hearing your happiness Jeanne ...so glad,
whatever would we do without our gardens ?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 17, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8812923

Still lovely here today...sounds as though everyone is enjoying their weekend..in both hemispheres...

Maybe not you Anthony and the whole team of blue boys...I don't remember such a physical game for ages...every player in both teams must be nursing injuries, which suits the Cats...
At the end I had to look thru my fingers, I was sure that someone would get badly hurt...it sure was a thriller...commiserations, but I'm glad that Geelong doesn't have to play you...too fast for us.

Lovely day at Mt Macedon, started in fog ended in sunshine...lots of wonderful plants, got my Cantuas, that I had been looking for, plus a few other bits and pieces...all necessary of course.
Here are a couple, Heuchera "peach flambe'' and a Bletilla...I thought that it was different to the ones I had...but now I think it is the same...

Well back to the sunshine, everyone enjoy your day.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2011
10:59 PM

Post #8812975

Dianne, those are lovely! What a gorgeous color! Can we get those here? Do they go by the same name here? Love um!

Jeanne
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 18, 2011
2:58 AM

Post #8813016

Yes,,Dianne, i went to bed at 1/2 time,.,.too worn out,..,i got to go to an 'inaugural' daffodil show ,about 15 km south of here,a very warm and dedicated show it was and will be[i didnt enter]..,but will next year,.,.my new set of wheels, [for my truck], got caught up in that massive drug haul on thursday[i think]- from honalulu and will be a while yet[ ive been tracking them,the news reports and the tracking notification seems to equal up]--who knows? anyway,sleep well everyone,back to work tomorrow[luv it]-like the government-anthony

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 18, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8813693

Morning everyone...a forecast of 29c for today and a north wind...yuk
There goes the last of the Magnolia flowers...
Yes, Jeanne...I am sure that Heucheras and Bletillas are available in the US...lots of pretty leaf colours in the Heucheras...they die down in the Winter...so glad that your weather has cooled.

Lucky you Chrissy, bananas in your garden...we are still paying $7 a kilo for them.
Jean aren't the Ranucs and Anemones just wonderful..the colours these days are remarkable.
Glad that all is back to normal with your little family, Colleen...my dark blue/purple Iris is out too...
Karen, hope you get to see your Epis flower, mine are just starting to bud up...

Anthony, they just said on the news that B.Ratten will be reappointed...he was shattered after the game...
Here is my new Petunia "twilight"
Kettle is on, door is open...come on in...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 18, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8813747

Good morning everyone. A beautiful spring day yesterday.
I did manage to get out before the wind came up and do all the spraying with the Roundup.
I think I am winning the war with a lot of the weeds along the road fence. There are not as many as there used to be. Of course a lot of the area is now being slowly covered with groundcover.
I use the pretty evergreen succulent with the little pink flowers. I can never remember its name but it will cover anything.
I also put out a lot of pigface which has spread beautifully into lots of large mounds. I originally planted red, pink, white , yellow and orange.
I think the red and pink are the main ones there now. I love the way the flowers look so brilliant when open in the sun.
I also potted up a couple of plants that had outgrown their pots. I did all the watering of pots and fertilising of the brugs.
Today I am going to transplant some of the little sanguinea seedlings and a few salvia cuttings.
Looks like being another lovely day except that the wind is back early.

Hello Dianne. Thanks for putting the kettle on. Love the color of your petunia and the heucheras. I only have the common pink flowered one with green leaves . .Mine die down quite a bit here in autumn but get very large when they regrow .
The bananas in Hamilton are still over $10 a kilo, so none for me as yet.

Hello Anthony, hope you get your tyres soon. Another daff show you can enter and win. Good luck for next time.

Hello Chrissy. Hope all is well with your brother up there.
Fancy having to cut down bananas . They wouldnt be a fire hazard. Councils gone mad again.

Hello Colleen. You definitely need a second floor on your shadehouse.
Isnt it amazing how quickly you can fill a large empty space ?

Hello Jeanne, lovely to see you popping in.
I'm glad the weather has finally turned a lot nicer for you all over there.
Charleen, I wish you some nice soft rain too.

Hello Teresa, I hope all is well with you over there too. How is the new job going.?

Hello Pam, Karen and Elaine.
Hope all is well with you all and no more aches & pains.

Here is something nice for you all. Lovely Fruitcake with butter.
Have a happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8813887

I hope so too. Hope your day is wonderful.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 18, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8814256

Its blowing a gale here and has been all morning. Looks like it wants to rain. Very dark out there.
At least its not as cold as it has been but I ma so glad I was able to get the Roundup spraying done on the weekend.
I have just been out checking on my greenhouse. When the seam came apart the other day, I sewed it back up with fishing line which seems to be holding in the wind. The greenhouse has lasted a lot longer than I thought it would as it was only a plastic one from eBay. Still cost me a bit . I am going to put a piece of shadecloth over iti to help stop the seams breaking further.
Not now though, as I would be blown away. The wind is roaring around the house.

Dianne, my abutilon seeds finally turned up. They had been opened for inspection and passed by Australia Post.
I also received an extra lot of the red. .
Better go and check that things are still all tied down outside.
Hope everyone is enjoying their day.
Couldnt resist another pic of the lovely aulicum now fully out.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 18, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8814283

Lovely Jean. You'll have to call your's a Spring Hippy. That groundcover with the red/pink flowers is Aptenia I think. Afternoon everyone. It is a terrible day here. The wind is blowing 100mph I reckon. There's a huge gum across in the park from here and I'm watching it at the moment expecting the branches to be broken off. I'm not game enough to look at my pine trees. I think for my own sanity I will have to get them lopped. Must go and get the clothes off the line. Hope everyone is having a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 18, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8814289

Colleen, hang on to that clothesline very tightly. I have a vision of you sailing around in circles . It has gone a bit quiet here . Probably the eye of the storm . It will return with a vengeance , I have no doubt.
I am not game to look out the window at the trees. Hubby went out to see if all his antennas were still standing. They are but they do bend and sway a lot.
He is feeling a lot better but I have to nag him to go slow. He is like his dear departed mum. The legs are off and running without waiting for the body to catch up. .
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 19, 2011
12:48 AM

Post #8814338

That sounds familiar, Jean...I have one of those here...exactly like his mother too...he could no more "do something later" than fly in the air...
Me, I like to do most things later...except garden business of course...
The wind has really picked up here...the taller plants in pots are falling over, so they will go under shelter
for the night...

Wouldn't you know it...my Abutilons have little seed pods...did you order the Apricot one? if not I will have seeds for you...
I hope my one and only Brug pod doesn't fall off in this wind...
Goodnight everyone...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

September 19, 2011
2:52 AM

Post #8814364

thank you for all the birthday wishes :)
I did have a good day, bought a box of chocolates to share with my workmates, they thought that was a nice idea.
We used to do that at the Press when I worked there years ago - there was a lolly box & you filled it for everyone in the department to help them selves from.
I used to buy the sour bears & sour worms as well as chocolates.
Baz organised pizza for tea & bought a huge & very rich chocolate caramel cake.
We have half of it still left!
I have been busy with work - I am really enjoying it but having to leave so early means I need an early night to get enough sleep.
And that means less time on the lap top.
I noticed to night that my plum tree is just starting to blossom, will have to get some pics.
The weather is rubbish, wet & cold but it look like spring with the magnolias, daffodils & blossoms bursting forth.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8814566

Your weather is waking up for Spring and ours is finally cooling down getting ready for it's winter rest. G'day to you all. Have a great one!!!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8815207

Hi everyone!

We got rain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Y E A H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are still down over 20" for the year, but every little bit helps. It cooled down some. It is so nice outside!!!!!!!

Have a great day!

Jeanne

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8815211

Great!!! I am so glad you got rain. I know it still isn't enough but better than nothing.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8815214

YES!!!!!! It is a blessing!!!!!!!!!
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 19, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8815227

It seems Spring and Autumn are very desirable seasons on both sides of the world. Wish it would stay like this all the time.

We have a very heavy fog here this morning, and everything is quite wet. Can't hardly see across the road.

On our way home from the Coast yesterday, we pulled in to the local park here to see if the swans were still there and still safe. This is what we found...

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 19, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8815292

Wow Karen that would have been lovely to see. Good morning everyone. I needed a cuppa so thought I would pop in . A nice morning today. Hope that wind has gone. I thought that we were going to have trees down everywhere but can't see any around here. The wind seemed to be up off the ground and I don't think there will be much damage to the garden. I will find out later when I do the rounds. Must go. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 19, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8815321

Good morning everyone. We are still here and never blew away in the wind. It was very strong last night but seemed to fade away a lot once the rain arrived. I hate wind.
We had a nice lot of rain during the night and I am very glad I was able to spray the weeds over the weekend so they wont grow any further. It will make room for new ones though.
We were finally able to get rid of the cat that has been living here.
We were able to get a cage from the shire and the ranger came and took the cage & cat away. He said it will be assessed for suitability to be rehomed elsewhere.
We now , hopefully, will get all the little birds to come back again. I miss the blue wrens.
The cat was also killing at least 3-4 of the native swamp rats every day. They are cute little fellows, not like the real rats.
They tunnel around and eat grass roots etc.
The sun is shining this morning so maybe a nice day after yesterday.
I will have to get out and clean up all the sticks & twigs laying around.
Luckily all the brugs were out of the direct path of the wind. Most of our wind is from the north here, except during winter when it comes up from the south pole.

Hello Teresa. Glad you enjoyed your birthday and that you are liking the new job.
I could come over and help clean up that chocolate cake ..lol..

Hello Charleen and Jeanne. so pleased to hear you are all finally cooling down. . Enjoy the rain and nice weather.

Hello Karen. Those swans are so pretty. We do see quite a few around this area especially after the late winter and early spring rain .

Hello Dianne, The abitilons I ordered were the yellow, vanilla and mixed. I hope at least some of them grow.
Love some seeds if you get any of the apricot.

Better put out something tasty and get outside to clear those sticks etc.
Enjoy these GingerBread Men .
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 19, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8815492

A few pics of how my garden's looking for you all to see. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 19, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8815497

next these are out the back. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 19, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8815499

Just had to put a few succulents in. Happy Birthday Brian. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 19, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8815502

out the front we go. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 19, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8815507

last one. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 19, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8815574

Colleen, how lovely to see those pics. Brian's birthday anniversary? What a lovely month to be born in. And it is wonderful to see the gardens in flower now. Yours is looking lovely.

My Wisteria vine is comparitively young after its run in with the bull dozer, but the morning air is full of its fragrance even so. I do love this vine in flower.

Karen

This message was edited Sep 19, 2011 6:30 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2011
10:39 PM

Post #8815800

Hi Jean, Colleen, Karen, Chrissy, and everyone! It sure has cooled off here and is just so nice. So glad everyone had a good day. Watch that wind...it sure can be fierce.

They are saying here to watch for the trees being weak from no water and with high winds it doesn't take much to knock them over. Alot of people are just going ahead and
cutting them down.

Have a great day!
Jeanne

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 20, 2011
12:07 AM

Post #8815813

Colleen, everything is looking lovely...
2 questions...is that a Luculia in the front garden?
and where are the Chook pics...

Your Wisteria is looking great, Karen.
Not much fragrance from mine, It's very young and I was very pleased to even get one flower...which is what I did get...lol

You are right Jeanne, we had trees falling over for a couple of years after our last drought...our Eucalypts love dropping a huge branch when you least expect it...

This is the Tulip that I have been posting the pics of on the September thread...it now thinks that it is a Lilium...it has been out for nearly 3 weeks in various stages...I know that Tulips open wide when they are about to give up the ghost...but this one has been like this for 4 days...and very pretty it is too...
Question is, will it do the same next year..over 2 ft tall and it flowers for so long...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 20, 2011
12:17 AM

Post #8815816

I agree with you Dianne, I don't think it knows it's a Tulip. I don't think I have a Luculia. I don't know what that is. Point me in the right direction and I'll see if I can tell you what it is. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 20, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8815956

Ok Colleen..I should have been wearing my glasses...it's a rose with a bud on the top...
It's in the foreground of your 2nd last picture...
Everything in your garden looks great..

This message was edited Sep 21, 2011 12:02 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 20, 2011

Post #8816596

Good morning everyone. The wind has gone for awhile here and the sun is trying to get out from behind the clouds.
Its so peaceful when the roaring wind stops. I feel for the baby birds out there hanging on to the nest. We will have all the baby maggies coming down with their parents soon as you can see them getting brave and venturing out along the branches.
Its so funny when they do come down . The antics they get up to. I will be able to see all the personalities then. Thats when I name them as we see what they are like.
I spent a lot of time yesterday picking up sticks and small branches brought down by the wind. Luckily no large damaging branches.

You are right Jeanne about the dry affecting the trees . We had quite a few dry years here and any wind would go through and blow them over. It was sad to see some very large old red gums that had toppled over.
Thats nature though. It has been going on for millennia . Listening to some of these greenies, you would think any warming or cooling was something new that we had caused.
I would like to send them all back a few milllion years . They may understand global warming and cooling then.
If I could send them back, I'd leave them there too.

We have lots of the lovely honeyeaters around here now. They do like swinging on the echium flower heads. Later in summer they will enjoy all the knophofias.
I also see we have 2 swallows . They are seen sometimes flying around but I think this year they are nesting in our shed down the back. I like the little fellows. They come and sit on hubbys radio wire that comes across the veranda outside this window.
I can watch them without getting up from the computer.
I also have a good view of the front birdbath so can watch the antics that go on there.
Hello to everyone. Lovely garden pics.
I had better move myself and put up the sign for where we moved to..
Have a great day and dont eat too many of these delicious Cream Puffs. ( Brian will be watching for more cream )

We have moved to here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1220934/
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America