Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: September...it's all happening.

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 69, Views: 399
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 31, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8787460

Colour everywhere in the garden...and to me this flower is the most beautiful..
It is a Cantua buxifolia...

There are 3 cultivars in Australia as far as I know...
C.buxifolia...pink
C.buxifolia bicolour...yellow with a white tip and red bars.
C.pyrifolia...yellow with white tip..

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 31, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8787471

When they aren't in flower, they are totally insignificant...tiny leaves stringy stems..
But it's worth the wait...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 31, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8787487

Wow, I've never seen those before. Quite stunning, both flowers and the colour.

This is epi. Pink Snowflake, open for me on the first day of Spring. A smaller flower, but the plant is covered with buds, with many on each stem. Can't wait until it is all out in flower, but so very happy to see the first one.

Karen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 31, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8787489

Um, forgot the pic, sorry...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 31, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8787523

Your cantua reminds me of the species fuchsias, plants which I've only recently become interested in. (I'm hoping my Bolivian fuchsia will flower this summer.)
Seem to prefer cooler conditions too but, whatever you're doing, it's working: they look lovely!
Did you buy them as plants or grow them from seed?
PS Anyone in Melbourne should keep an eye out for the sales from the Royal Friends of Melbourne's Royal Botanic Gardens. They had them listed in their autumn catalogue: http://www.rbg.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/word_doc/0020/14807/Autumn-2011-catalogue-.doc

And here's some local (Melbourne) info on the plant: http://www.global-garden.com.au/backissuez/0111feature1.htm
This is particularly interesting:
In the course of writing this article I spoke to a few nurserymen and one said that if you grow a bush long enough it will sport these variations and this statement was supported when I actually saw a bush with two different flower colours on it.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2011 10:02 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 31, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8787818

I bought the parent in a pot last year...since then I have been able to get 2 more plants from it from basal shoots with a couple of roots.
I have the parent in a tall pot and the small ones in the garden...
I don't think that I have ever seen a seed pod on one, cestrum... my last one I had about 5yrs before we moved...but I only had one...I don't know if they are self fertile.
I want the other colours too, so that little nurseryman in Portarlington is keeping an eye out for me...

I looked up your Bolivian Fuschia, very lovely too..http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/109.htm

Pink Snowflake is very pretty Karen, I don't have even one Epi open yet...don't forget to post when it's in full flower.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 31, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8787826

Given what was written about the sports, I wouldn't be pruning any of them ...
My Bolivian fuchsia came from Honeysuckle Cottage, along with the 'true' variegated abutilon (i.e. not the virus variegation).
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 31, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8788013

This is Dombeya calantha from Wanda Hirth's stall. It's only in a tube pot but in flower, yet I have seedlings (of different Dombeya species) that are over a metre tall and yet to flower. I hope it doesn't die after flowering! The flowers have a mild fragrance, nothing to write home about but still a bonus.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2011 4:12 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 1, 2011
12:01 AM

Post #8788027

That's a very pretty flower...a large plant must be spectacular...

The Cantua has to be pruned or it will turn into a mass of long thin stems...
It flowers on the previous years growth so any sports will be there still.

Imagine the growth at the top of the pot in this pic as a 5' x 5' bush...yikes

Thumbnail by Seachanger

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

September 1, 2011
12:16 AM

Post #8788033

Yeah the local Cantua are going off at the moment.
I see them in older suburbs, though fairly uncommon.
I think they went out of fashion, that and/or people can't put with a straggly nondescript shrub for most of the year lol.
I believe they are cool climate plant like B. sanguinea, they look like a Brug or Iochroma to me lol.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 1, 2011
12:30 AM

Post #8788036

Don't they look like Iochroma with bling ...are they the same size ? (the blooms I mean).
Yes another cool climate beauty, thanks for the pics Dianne, great picture showing the growth habit too.
Guess you need to move to Victoria to grow many lovely things. I do admire cool climate beauties, guess we can't grow everything we would like.

The Dombeya is a darling cestrum, why do you think it may die ?
What a treat to have one in bloom when it is so little, it's a little like the prickly hibiscus, maybe the tips are blooming wood.
You northerners get such a great variety of plants up there. :)
Loving the pics.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 1, 2011
1:19 AM

Post #8788051

The Cantuas home is the Andes and it's fertilized by Humming birds...sounds very Brug-like to me Chrissy...it grows very well in California...so if you want to try a cutting in the summer...let me know and I'll send some up to you...

They are slightly larger than Iochromas...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 1, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8789117

[quote="chrissy100"]
The Dombeya is a darling cestrum, why do you think it may die ?
...[/quote]
Only because it's so small and probably should be putting all its energy into growing rather than flowering, but I don't have the heart to cut off the flowers. (The unopened buds look like those of miniature roses, I think.) I haven't even tipped it out of its pot to check the size of the rootball. I was pleasantly surprised by the shrimp plants because, although they are also only small plants in tubes, each has a good bundle of thick roots and so should get established quickly. (Unlike the variegated shrimp plant bought last year, which was a small plant in a small pot with scant roots--but then, it is a slow grower generally. Although my friend planted hers out in quite a shady spot, in among a clump of nasturtiums that pretty much shaded it from the sun, and her cutting is larger than my original plant. So perhaps I'm giving mine too much sun.)

There's a lovely pic of this Dombeya taken at Coffs Harbour: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_rodd/3674787820/
The photographer casts doubt on its identity, and I must admit it does resemble a Dombeya wallichii: http://www.rareflora.com/dombeyawa.htm (Which I've tried growing from seed. There is a seedling labelled D. wallichii but last time I looked it was too small to identify (by the shape of its leaves) and so might just be something that got blown into the pot. On second thought, the flowers do look different from that photo of the wallichii. I'm treating it as a calantha unless proven otherwise!)

Anyway, it's just new plant anxiety!

This message was edited Sep 2, 2011 8:52 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 1, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8789663

That Dombeya wallichii...is a stunner...how lovely it is in full bloom.
What is the texture of the Dombeya petals, cestrum...in some pics they look papery and in others they look thicker...

This is my favourite white Camellia.."Nuccio's Gem...it is so perfect.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

jhone0102
canada
India

September 2, 2011
12:17 AM

Post #8789707

[deleted by admin]

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

September 2, 2011
1:57 AM

Post #8789728

Awesome first post!

I like that Dombeya, cestrum.
and Wow Dianne that is, for sure the best white Camellia I have ever seen. a pearl.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2011 12:59 AM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 2, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8790600

[quote="Seachanger"]That Dombeya wallichii...is a stunner...how lovely it is in full bloom.
What is the texture of the Dombeya petals, cestrum...in some pics they look papery and in others they look thicker...
[/quote]
Not papery, just soft (normal) petals ...
I reckon any of the dombeyas would look good when in full bloom. Hopefully the scent on this one will be stronger too.

Forgot to say that I saw (and squashed!) the first 28-spotted ladybird of spring :-(

This message was edited Sep 3, 2011 9:34 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 6, 2011
11:25 PM

Post #8797061

Last of my Tulips...it's a new one for me..
It is named Claudia...
Very pretty type of flower, not a typical Tulip cup...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 7, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8798552

I went out for a garden wander while the sun was out this morning. Heres a few pics of whats going on .
It will be a lot more colorful later during late spring/summer.
These are all out and flower most of the year.
Wallflowers and daisies.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 7, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8798556

This is under the willow tree. I let everything do their own thing here.
A mix of species geraniums, acanthus, arums, nasturtiums and forget-me-nots along with anything else that happens to be passing and drops a seed or two.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 7, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8798561

This is the path coming up from the willow to the iris area. You can see the green lavender in the front right nad at the top, my echium hedge. They are only last years babies but are already 3' high and starting to get flower stems.
far top right is the huge white ceanothus. If you want an easy care fast growing plant, this is it.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 7, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8798562

This is the side path next to the greenhouses. The blue flower is borage. It self seeds everywhere and will grow to over 4'most years.
The tall green at the back is the top of my best boy, brug , GHA. He is going great guns and is over 8'high.Jean

This message was edited Sep 8, 2011 4:02 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 7, 2011
11:00 PM

Post #8798596

Funny thing is that there isn't much in flower here.
Here's a calliandra flower, common as mud here. When I first moved to Qld and saw one of these flowering from a distance, I thought it was an Albizia julibrissin.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 7, 2011
11:00 PM

Post #8798597

Ok, perhaps I should actually attach the image ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 7, 2011
11:36 PM

Post #8798610

Just got home, Jean and took a walk around your pretty garden...I love the touches of purple/blue everywhere...and your path from the Willow to the Iris field is charming.

Talking of Iris, just had a look at the online catalogue and I am determined not to buy, just look...
They are all so lovely...I have to dig out a couple of mine that have been overtaken by the Phormiums..but that can wait until next year.

cestrum, I have always admired Calliandras, never having seen one in the flesh...I love the pics.

Here is some of the Boronia, beautiful perfume on this one B.purple jarod...with S.wendy's wish behind it.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 7, 2011
11:37 PM

Post #8798611

Very pretty Cestrum. Looks like an old fashioned powder puff. .
I dont know if these grow up your way. This Kangaroo Apple just popped up a few years ago and has steadily grown to around 9'high and covers about 4 square metres. I leave it because it is a great windbreak and I love the purple flowers.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 7, 2011
11:39 PM

Post #8798613

Not flowers...yet...
some of the liliums coming up.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 9, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8801031

This is the first time this clivia has flowered. It came from a very old farm garden. There were hundreds of them but the whole place was being knocked down to make room for blue gums. I rescued about 20 plants , which were enough for me as they are all the same color.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

September 9, 2011
11:22 PM

Post #8801744

White hellebore & sweet violets in the woodland corner

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

September 9, 2011
11:27 PM

Post #8801749

love this blue, bought myself a dress almost this colour :)

Thumbnail by dalfyre

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8804327

Your blue bloom (anemone?) reminds me that I don't actually have any blue flowers in my garden! (Purple, yellow and blue are supposed to attract bees.) I think it's because I've been concentrating on trees, shrubs and vines--I'm not ready yet to think about the smaller plants :-) There's plenty of yellow--I just noticed a Jesus (i.e. carpenter/Jesus was a carpenter/the only way I can remember their name/no, I'm not religious!) bee over the yellow cassia blooms.

Dianne, I *love* the smell of brown boronia: sheer heaven! Yet I could never get it to grow for me in Melbourne, so congratulations on your lovely beauty.

I too have the Wendy's Wish salvia. Seems like a tough plant here, apparently not bothered by the humidity. Have you smelt the flowers? I didn't realise it was scented until I kept brushing up against it while working outside. The flowers have a delightful aroma with a citrusy tang when you brush against them.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8804344

Nasturtiums are a winter flower here, so long as they don't actually get frosted. By summer, they've died back from the heat and humidity. These are still going strong as we've had a very slow start to spring: in previous years we've been known to have a day of 35 deg. C by this time. Not so far, though.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011 1:11 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2011
8:28 PM

Post #8804368

Here are those two shrimp plants still in flower, the variegated one with pink flowers and the green one with russet-brown blooms. Coincidentally, you can see the 'fruit salad' shrimp plant flower in the background at right.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 11, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8804444

Cestrum, those shrimps are so lovely. The variegated leaf is very pretty.
My nasturtuims are definite lovers of heat here. They are up and running everywhere now but in summer they will grow twice as tall. I love them for covering areas that are usually bare or weedy.
You will find that a lot of salvias have that tangy scent as you brush the foliage. I am smelling it now as I was just outside and pulled a couple of unwanted seedlings from near around a salvia.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8804475

Yes, the variegated foliage is pretty but it's such a slower grower. I still don't feel completely certain that the plant won't just die on me one day. I hope that it puts on some real growth over the coming months as it's barely grown in the year that I've had it.

This purple shrimp plant (Porphyrocoma pohliana) should be much stronger. According to DGs, it readily self-sows : http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55371/
I can't wait to see if I get seedlings sometime down the track.

I forgot to say that it's the flowers of Wendy's Wish that have that citrusy tang to them, not the leaves ...

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011 3:27 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 11, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8804476

I have had S.wendy's wish for 3 yrs and never noticed a perfume...just sniffed it cestrum and Jean..
Almost a pineapply citrus smell...lovely...it is very tough I have found that too.
The real Wendy who grew that Salvia has released another this season...can't wait to see it...
I know that it had a man's name, just can't remember it...we were driving while I was listening to the 3CR gardening program...

Love the white Hellebore, Teresa.

Jean, just how many Liliums do you have?

cestrum, I am not a shrimp plant fan...but those two together with the variegated foliage of the pink one look beautiful...
Here is a little patch of Freesias

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2011
10:32 PM

Post #8804478

Dianne, it seems that you need to stroke the flowers of Wendy's Wish (which I did unwittingly when I first rubbed up against it) to release that lovely citrus aroma ...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2011
10:42 PM

Post #8804479

Here are my mixed sprouts: radish (the tall ones), broccoli and alfalfa. I have radish in flower now, so I should have plenty of my own seeds to sprout later.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 12, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8805513

How many liliums, Dianne ???? ummmmmm.
No where near as many as Anthony , but enough for me to look after.
At a rough guess, about 40 with some seeds sprouting too.
While looking at the liliums, I just realised, I have around 30+ clivias. ( plants & seed ) Now where did they all come from ?? lol
Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 16, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8811698

Colleen, look look !!!!!!
Its out. Well not fully out, but enough for me to run and get the camera.
There is a second bud too.
aulicum forma robustum
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 16, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8811702

Lovely red tulip but I bought them as dark purple. Some are red and some are yellow. Not a single purple, so I will be letting the seller know I am not pleased.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 16, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8811705

Anthony and Dianne, look at the little cuties. My lilium seeds.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 16, 2011
11:16 PM

Post #8811831

Jean, that AFR is a pretty thing...I didn't know what it was...the purple stamens are lovely..
Bad luck about the purple Tulips...It's disappointing when they send something that isn't what you ordered...hopefully they will do something for you...

Ah, those Lilium seeds...I have some at about the same stage as well as the ones from last year...
Just imagine when the ones Anthony has given us start to flower...he will be like a new father...clucking over his babies...hope we can grow something special for him...lol

Aren't these Anemones just lovely...they are in a tub with the Fig and some Poppies..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 17, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8812853

I was watering when I noticed this berry. I know the bush has flowered in the past, but the flowers have been fleeting and few in number.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 17, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8812855

Looking closely, I found these two dried berries on a lower branch.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 17, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8812857

So I picked the dried berries and peeled one of them. I assume they're viable, but I don't need any more.
At this rate it should take a few decades to pick enough for one cup of coffee! (I've bought green beans and roasted them myself in a popcorn maker for a bit of fun. Really easy to do.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 17, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8812880

That's very cool cestrum ...real coffee beans ...my sister in law gave me a coffee tree many years ago and I awaited with great anticipation for my coffee beans to arrive. I thought all along they looked like my Murraya tree leaves and even the blooms were the same ...yep it was a Murraya (don't get me wrong I love Murrayas ) but it was a little bit of a let down. My sister in law sells /I mean used to sell plants at the markets, over the years the plants have been a fun game trying to figure out what I was really getting. The classic was a " beautiful Hibiscus" that became a huge Mulberry tree . Poor thing couldn't figure out why the people did not buy many of her plants.
Back to your coffee tree did the blossoms smell lovely ? like cappuccino :)
But seriously they are supposed to be very fragrant ...what did they smell like ?
What did the green coffee taste like ?

This message was edited Sep 18, 2011 2:45 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 17, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8812899

At least you know cestrum, that they haven't been thru a civet's gut...lol
still if you can save your seeds and buy a civet, you could make a fortune...slowly.
http://www.indonesiangrocery.com/
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 17, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8812933

I really can't remember what the flowers smelt like, except that the fragrance wasn't anything exceptional. It's really just a novelty plant, but surprisingly does better in my garden than gardenias, which tend to get sooty mould and die. (Probably thru neglect.) The coffee plant looks like a gardenia but, unlike (what's left of) my gardenias, the leaves seem to stay lush and green. This photo is 2yo.

Once roasted, the green beans taste just like shop-roasted beans; I really can't tell that they're 'fresher' in any way. The main advantage is that you can choose how dark (and therefore strong/bitter) you'd prefer your coffee beans--you might, for instance, prefer them to be much more lightly roasted than you'd get in the shop. You'll find videos of how to do it (you need a particular type of popcorn popper) on youtube.

I reckon there are more than a few ebay sellers like your SIL ;-)

Only $119.95/pound--with FREE shipping: what a deal LOL Now, how to get a civet thru AQIS ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 18, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8813696

A civet thru AQIS :-)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 18, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8813786

Here's a comparison of leaves--murraya (with red berries) at bottom left, gardenia (with sooty mould) at bottom right, coffee in background.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 18, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8813792

Another comparison: Michelia figo species in the background with M. figo 'Lady of the Night' in front, in my hand.
Note that the cultivar has both larger leaves and flowers; its flowers are also creamier in colour and open more fully than the species.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 18, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8813800

The orange bougainvillea has been in flower all winter and is still going. Planted on the western side of the garden, in full west sun, only rainwater.
This is one of those plants that often get killed thru kindness.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 18, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8813806

What's really interesting is the fading flowers. Strictly speaking, they're bracts. But you know what I mean :-) Generally they've turned a lighter pinkish-orange in colour, but this time they have gone distinctly yellow.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2011 10:27 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 18, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8813821

Beautiful Cestrum. My purple bougainvillea will be a blaze of color soon. I have tried to grow other colors but they dont survive well for some reason.
Maybe its too cold for them to get a good start. This purple one has been here for a long time before I arrived so maybe it was a bit drier back then.
I love the way yours goes yellow. Very attractive.
Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 18, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8813927

I think your purple one is one of the toughest for cooler-climate gardens. There's a park I drive past with a hedge of purple bougainvillea trimmed in a undulating/wave-like shape. When it flowers, the whole hedge turns purple. It looks like a line of low purple hills! I never get around to taking a photo of it because I'm always driving when I go past there ...

The thorns are a bugger, though. Esp. when you need to prune them in a confined space (between building and fence) ...

Here's a terrific summary of how to grow and propagate them:
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1103412.htm
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 21, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8818503

After seeing some lovely purple flowers in our Tea Room, I had a look around in my garden,
I love purple but dont buy it as a preference over other colors.
I was surprised to see just how many purple flowers I do have out there.

Polygala, alogyne, babiana, hebe, hellebore, daisy, tulip, plectranthus, freesia, iris, echium, dutch iris, rose, orchid, dietes, sparaxis,
ixia, lilac, geranium, kangaroo apple, salvia, ornamental garlic, buddlea, lavender, pelagonium, brunsfeldia, pigface, alstromeria.
Probably a couple more I missed.

Interesting to see that in the natives, the colors of red and yellow seem to predominate.
Plain bright white always lifts a garden of any sort. It softens and accents the bright colors.

What colors do you find most of in your gardens ?

Some of my echiums. I love them and so do the honey eaters.

Thought I had lost my post as we had a few troubles with the internet connection. I manged to save the page , then copy and paste here again.
I surprised myself in being able to do it.

Jean.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2011 12:13 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8822774

Hibiscus heterophyllus, the tangerine native hibiscus flowering this morning. I'm just calling it 'tangerine' because there seems to be confusion about the exact name: Abbey's or Abby's or Abbys Tangerine. Anyway, it's a pretty colour whatever the spelling but a prickly plant.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8822776

This pink one flowered two days ago. It definitely looks pink but was called 'Brick red'.
I do prefer these pink/red/watermelon coloured flowers to the more common yellow.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8827152

My blue fountain bush is out. I love its perfume.
The only trouble is that as the plant gets large, the weight of the flowers if it rains on them, pulls the branches down and they sometimes break.
I have cut it back but I am not keen on cutting to much in case I lose the plant. I must try some seeds this year.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8827156

The geranium maderense is flowering , but nowhere near the size of the original plant I started with. It had a flower ball over a metre wide.
Still looks lovely with the pink flowers and ferny foliage.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2011 12:01 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8827159

For those that dont know the geranium maderense plant. This is what it looks like underneath.
It grows for a year from seed , putting out all these buttress stems to hold it up. It will grow to over a metre in height then flower in the second year after which it will die. There are always plenty of replacements from the seeds.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8827167

This is another species geranium , but I dont know its proper name. It also spreads from self sown seed each year.It has lovely dark burgundy stems which branch off in all directions to from a sprawling plant that gets to about a metre high and can sprawl over 2 metres wide. It has similar ferny foliage to the g. maderense.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8827169

This is my mini white rhododendron that I bought as an orphan last year.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8827172

One of the lilacs. Not sure of this ones right name. grows slightly more bushier than the usual one.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8827183

This is the front cottage garden. I know that it looks a mess to some gardeners, but it is full of grasses, mini kniphofias, dutch iris, ranuncs , anemones, nerines, ixias, sparaxis, vallotta lilies. asiatic lilies. bearded iris, tulips, freesias, bluebells, wall flowers plus lots more and edged with hebe, lilac, abelia, fuchsia, lavenders , cigarette bush.
Somewhere in the middle is a camellia.
I just love it all and so do the birds and bees. It will be much taller as the grasses etc grow. There will be some sort of flower all year round.
Jean.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2011 12:17 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8827187

View of the other side of the cottage garden.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 27, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8827202

Jean it is beautiful. That's my kind of garden too. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 27, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8827230

Love the Lilac and the Geranium, Jean...
That last 2 pics are so pretty, real cottage garden pics, plenty of colour and contrast.
Lovely place for a picnic, I remembered that you have seats everywhere.

I meant to add this last week...My garden is mostly shades of purple too...even my Leucocoryne flowers are a mauve/blue...the species Iris have started and they are mainly blue.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2011 12:52 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

October 1, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8832232

The October thread is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223364/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America