Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hostas: Some unique babies from seed.

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 3, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 31, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8787768

Hi All
Last year I started some seed shared by ViolaAnn. Quite a few babies over wintered and here are two that are showing some promise.
This one has red legs.

Thumbnail by annabell52
Click the image for an enlarged view.

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 31, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8787770

And here is the one with color.
I have them labeled as to their Mom's and re did it again this spring but it seems they have really faded.
Alberta Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8788346

I would bet the first might be a seedling of 'Red Hot Flash'. Or maybe 'Little Red Rooster'. Either of those names ring a bell?

The other, who knows? 'Last Dance' maybe? (It's given me another lovely variegated seedling that looks somewhat similar). But I might ask for a division of it someday if it develops into a nice variegated plant. :-)

Re pens, if you can find a supplier, I have a Horta-Craft garden marking pen (available at Budd Gardens) and it doesn't fade like Sharpie Markers do. But I had difficulty searching on line to find a source.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 1, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8788645

Ann I have the names at home that you did send me and I had labeled everything so diligently and when they had faded I redid them and I think with all the water this spring they are very hard to read. I will pull them one at a time and review with a magnafying glass to see if I can read them. The little varigated one was a bit like this last year and it's nice to see it has stayed true. Most definatly will share in the future. Little red legs only started to show recently , or maybe it's now big enough that I can see it. The Red names were not part of the seeds you sent but I will review and let you know.
Thanks
Ann

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America