Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

September 1, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8788317

Over the years I have started thousands of succulents -- but today I have none. This year I bought several at in 2" pots at the local Walmart. One by one disappeared. I am in a hot-humid climate. Is it the heat or humidity or bad soil mix and possible soil fungus that makes these plants keel over and disappear?

I noticed the soil mix in the Walmart plants was a fine black soil, with no perlite, pumice or sand inclusion.

Thanks for the article. I am inspired to try again, but frankly the outcome looks hopeless.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8788336

Hmmm. I know SOME succulents tolerate your weather, but can't say I have any personal experience with growing stuff in a hot, humid climate
Don_Fitch
Covina, CA

September 5, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8794491

As someone who retired as Greenhouse Nurseryman from the L.A.County Arboretum (decades ago), I find nothing to disagree with in this remarkably comprehensive article, and wish I'd had it to help when starting-out at that job. I might add that panty-hose (a few runs are okay) are great to put over the seed-forming inflorescences if you're not diligent about collecting the fruit just as they ripen or before they scatter their seeds.

Okay, I might quibble that many (or perhaps most) Aloe "species" are probably natural hybrids, and the only ways to be sure to get them to come true is to take cuttings or divisions of the very plant the naming taxonomist used to describe them, or to carefully self-pollenate flowers of that plant (both of which are, in a practical sense, impossible).
But that's a long-standing argument I have with the whole Taxonomical System, and not a criticism of anything in this article.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Growing Aloes from Seed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
echeveria seeds cyrd 1 Sep 5, 2011 3:20 PM
Aloe lover thanks you so much for this article... cabngirl 0 Sep 5, 2011 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America