Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Weather: September Weather Fall is near, when does frost hit you ?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 206, Views: 955
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 1, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8788586

About time for cooler weather & some rain.

Hot & humid here today. Looking for record temperature. Old record is 92.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8788597

I was just getting ready to do this. Thanks, Bernie!

71 now, sunny and slightly breezy.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8788783

Hot here too, but I hope for a late frost and some rain now.

Here is my me and my granddaughter at the Indiana State fair recently.

Thumbnail by Indy

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8788796

What a cutie pie she is!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8788974

Indy...how adorable your grand daughter is.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8788991

Well, thanks both of you. Kylie is as sweet as her little brother is...well...a boy.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8789316

Hot with temps around 100. Windy but the humidity wasn't as bad as they were predicting. Under Red Flag alert so no burning allowed.

Switchgrass all spread out. lol. I wish it would hold it's shape all season long but it won't. Still like it though.

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 2, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8789835

It is raining!
About " so far, going to continue for a while.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8790093

Yea! I love the rain. Especially when accompanied by lightning and thunder.

It ws a lovely 58 at 8:30 this morning. Ahhhhhhhh...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

September 2, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8790435

Got some nice thunderstorms here too last week :)

Thumbnail by Cumulus79

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8790674

Still hot and humid. One more day then nice weather.

Lantana

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8791111

75/85 Scattered showers and thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Just reading and catching up.

Hi Indy! Nice to meet you and your beautiful Granddaughter!

Cumulus, awesome lightning! I have been trying for years to get a picture. Kwanjin is another person who posted a lightning picture a couple years ago. I'm so envious, LOL!

Sorry to skip over the regulars, but as usual, I have no time to linger.

We finally got all the furniture and knick-knacks moved into my elderly relative's ''Assisted Living'' rooms, yesterday. At the last minute she was able to get into a bigger room and that was good! We brought a lot more furniture than she would have been able to bring. It looks just like her house now.
Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

September 3, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8791690

Billy: The hardest part is to get a thunderstorm (at least in my country) but the rest is quite easy if you can set your shutter speed for 10-30 seconds or bulb if it's completely dark:)
Hope to get some new shots this night as I see lightning again. We haven't got a summer in Belgium (always cold and windy under 65F) and that's why there was also no thunderstorms until the last two weeks.
Guess it's the price we pay for the warm and dry spring here :)
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8791720

Hi Everyone!

We will be lucky to see frost in Dec. at the rate we are going this year.

It is 89 out! WOW! I had not been outside. The prediction was high of 95, but there is a very strong wind. I'll have to go out and check it out! That's the coolest it's been in awhile!

Jeanne
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8791920

We had 94F for a high here today, nearly 20F higher then the average for this time of year. Another warm one tomorrow then back to normal with highs in the 60's and 70's. We had another nice rainstorm here late Thursday night and lasting until almost noon. BIG lightning show!

She's a cutie-pie Indy!

Hi Jeanne! Are you going to be lucky enough to catch any rain from the tropical storm?

Everything is growing like gangbusters here. Barring an unforeseen calamity my apple crop will be the best ever and my tomatoes have been super productive.

Photo: Pineapple heirloom tomatoes...bigger then softballs and sweet as a peach!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8792004

Hot and humid til mid afternoon when a fast moving storm moved in. Brought some wind, heavy downpours and some cooler weather. It isn't as cool as it's gonna be though. But the rain is much needed. Our ground is dry quite aways down but now the plants are happy!! Hoping to get out and plant on Monday while it's nice.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8792119

Pepper,
What a precious, precious picture of your kitty!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8792144

That needs to be on a calendar. LOL

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2011
4:05 AM

Post #8792293

EB nice tomatoes...yum! I am on a cooking website and everyone in PA have been going on and on about how great their gardens have been this year.
Pepper glad you got some rain and cooler temps...sounds wonderful and I love the kitty in the flower pot...kitties seem to like flower pots...don't they?
Cumulus nice lightning shot...I'm always trying to capture lightning...not an easy task.

It has been comfortable here the last couple days, was 71 when I did my morning walk yesterday and felt so wonderful...that is the coolest it has been in the early AM since May. Had company last night and we all stayed outside sitting under the shade of the trees, was 84 and only fifty percent humidity and the breeze very strong and we all commented on how pleasant it felt.

No worry about frost here until December...only worry about hurricanes for now. I'm heading to the beach for a week, this is where you'll find me in the morning...Hurricanes stay away.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8792325

59/73 Sunny. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph.

Cumulus, yes, I forgot you are not a rainy area. I'm glad you were able to get at least one lightning picture. I'm not camera savey, so I just took video yesterday so I can listen to the thunder :o)

Jeanne, I am not going to say I miss the Summer heat. I sure wish everyone had had a better year than the one we got.

Early, it sounds like you had a good summer! Those tomatoes are just beautiful!!

Pepper, same wonderful rain here, but not the wind or downpour. A good soaking, sometimes hard, rain.

Absolutely love Whiskers! It's the perfect picture and definately calender AND jigsaw puzzle worthy!!

Sunkissed, your weather sounds very nice! I need to get out and walk too. I lost weight during August and sure don't want it back!!

Wow, what a picture to make someone envious, LOL!! That's beautiful!! Florida has some really great skies.

Thankfully it rained, stopped, rained, stopped, etc. all day yesterday. We got 1 & 3/10''!! We're chilly all week. Now maybe I can get some flowers moved!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 4, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8792417

Sunny. 53 this morning, going for 68.
Low tonight forecast @ 44.
Fall is here!

Terrific day at market yesterday. Sold everything. We run out of some kinds of onions. Sold all of our canning tomatoes. (3 bushels, about). Watermelons & muskmelons all gone.
We had 2, 8ft bed pickups & our trailer full when we went.
6 of us to wait on customers & still people had to wait.
This is what we call a fun day!!

BIL & wife are coming for visit today. They will go visit his mother at the nursing home. She is 93 & in good health, but mind is mixed up from a small stroke a year ago. My wife visits quite often. BIL lives 200 miles from here.

We did get some rain yesterday, so now I need to mow lawn. It's been 2 or 3 weeks since last mowing.
I have a student coming this week to clean up & mulch my flower beds. Haven't had much done to them since spring.

Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

September 4, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8792992

I got more lightning pictures from an exeptionally active t-storm last night, hope you enjoy them :)

Thumbnail by Cumulus79

Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

September 4, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8792995

Electrified Musa basjoo: a long and cold winter is coming, but its batteries are fully charged again ;)

Thumbnail by Cumulus79

Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

September 4, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8792998

One of my ultimate dreams: seeing a thunderbolt reflecting on the water of my swimming pond

Thumbnail by Cumulus79

Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

September 4, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8792999

Cool picture with my greenhouse on it ;)

Thumbnail by Cumulus79

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 4, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8793009

Cool!
The last one would make a good entry in the photo contest.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8793387

Perfect weather today!! Temps in the mid 70s with a nice breeze. Lows tonight will be in 50s.

Here's another pic of him in the pot. He's always been a good poser for me. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2011
4:01 AM

Post #8793824

53/69 Sunny. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph.

Bernie, it's freezing here this morning!

Fantastic day at Market!

Cumulus, WOW!! Those are exceptional!

Pepper, he is adorable! He looks like a snuggler that just melts in your arms :o)

We started closing windows yesterday to conserve heat and I only opened the South and East where the sun was. It's too soon to have to sleep with everything closed :o(

I did get a lot more weeds pulled and planted two ornamental grasses a friend gave me. Now I only have a few more things to plant. Yayyy! Thank you rain!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8794145

no rain. 70 degrees now at 9:30 am. for the past two months it has been 100 and climbing at this time of day. YAY!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8795090

Same temps as Bp. Very nice!!

I pulled more weeds out of veggie garden and got radishes and carrots planted. Also got my witch hazels planted. Just need to plant my ornamental grass and put my magnolia in a bigger pot. Need to find something to insulate pot with for the winter too. Any ideas?

Whiskers is a snuggler!! LOL. He was sleeping in my lap earlier, decided he didn't like that, and moved to my side here in my chair. lol. Not much room but he made do by putting his head on my lap. Just now threw him back outside for the night.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8795553

47F/71 Sunny. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

Weather doesn't get much simpler than that :o)

Lou, I hope this will be the change in the weather that you need. Now if it would just rain for you for a few days, things would be a lot better.

Pepper, that reminds me. I have onion tops to plant. Dad has the Egyption Walking Onions and has, ever since I was a kid. I can't resist planting them for a spring onion.

Petey will sit with me while I'm watching TV and sleep by my pillow at night. Zoe will knead, with claws. and try to hypnotize me to snuggle him, drooling all the time. He looks like a little bat face anyway, so he cracks me up! They are moore likely to ask when it turns colder out. Cats. They sure make you love them :o)

I weeded and got the last of my potted plants in the ground yesterday. I had a mint plant in a large pot, so I found one a little larger, lined it with paper, mainly to keep the roots from sneaking out so fast and sunk both in the ground for the winter. Somehow, I think I will have new mint plants all over anyway, LOL! It's wonderful to just walk past it and smell spearmint. You dont even have to touch it. I love it!

I mowed, so the half brown yard looks presentable again. I also vacuumed and mopped while DH set the landscaping stones in. All our little jobs keep getting done.

Zoe (grey) and Petey

Thumbnail by billyporter

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8795692

Love the red carpet. When we first did the add-on of the family room, the carpet was red. Two red recliners, red plaid valance all the way around the room. That was 1981 and it is all worn out and replaced. Kitties are pretty.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8795801

Sally always says what I was going to say. LOL Thanks, Sally! LOL We have a drooler, too. Cleo makes sure everyone has some! ^_^

A bit cooler here. Low-mid 80s and chance of thunderstorms.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8796639

Still another perfect day.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8796670

THE STATE OF TEXAS IS ON FIRE!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8796728

I heard about that. AngelSong has offered up her pasture for fire victims who need pasture for their horses or other pets. It's a shame to hear about the fires though. Hope it doesn't get near you!! I have family in Tyler and Houston too.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8796989

Texas residents and their families and friends our in our thoughts. This has been a most horrid year.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8797164

49/74 Sunny. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph.

Thanks Lou. This carpet has been down since 1986. I still love the color.

Celia, it's cause we think alike :o)

I love the sky. The jet is pretty cool too!

Pepper, I hate to say so, but it's near perfect here too.

Oh Lou, I hope it's not near you! I haven't had time to be anywhere near a TV.

That's pretty nice of Angelsong to do that.

Celia, you said it. My heart goes out to texas this year.

I finally get to stay home today. All day.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8798222

Another perfect day. A bit chilly at night but I can deal with that no problem!! LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8798560

We are having what I call "perfect weather," too. Low 80s in the daytime and mid-upper 50s at night. Perfect.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2011
2:31 AM

Post #8798670

55/77 Sunny to partly cloudy. Winds N at 10 to 20 mph.

Perfect here too.

I potted up a few more flowers for a friend. I'm getting quite a pile to drop off at her place, LOL!

I also got some of the garage cleaned up. I had pots and boxes all over the place.

So much to do and I feel like I'm moving in slow motion trying to get it all done.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8798960

Sally, my greenhouse is the same way right now. Stuff piled all over. LOL

82 for our high today.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8799759

High around 75 and sunny. Still nice. Gonna be nice for the foreseeable future. I might be able to get stuff done!! lol. I have a bed that I am gonna redo sometime soon. I have too many tall plants that are in the front of the bed and I'm gonna move them to the back and get some lower growing plants for front. It looks a bit weedy the way it is now.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2011
3:57 AM

Post #8800198

59/77 A few showers this morning. Isolated thunderstorms developing in the afternoon. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Celia, LOL! I can't put everything away, I'm still using some of it!

Pepper, yesterday I started on the beds. I had perennial sunflower all over the place as it re-seeds too well. I dug out all but one and am trying to start it in another place. Then I finally moved a few other plants I've been meaning to move. Oh, but my list of to-do's is very long!!

We have a chance for rain today but the weather guy didn't sound like it would amount to much.

Texas, I hope you get rain somehow!
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8800565

I love September weather - but not flooding. I live 3 miles east of the Susquehanna River and it will crest tonight. All major roads and interstates south of us and into Harrisburg are cut off. Many people really have it bad as portions of Harrisburg have electric and gas service discontinued for the time being.(to help prevent fires in areas that are under water.)

But for the moment the sun is shining and I feel so lucky - compared with those who have suffered so much damage. If you don't have much left - appreciate what you got!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8800639

Just looked at the 7 day forecast. No precip anywhere. The fires are growing as we speak.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8800863

We got rain for a day and a half, but we are still about 30" down for the year per the news.

I watered and now will need to water again. One of the young magnolia trees outfront is losing leaves.

I had bought a rock water fall last spring and never made a place for it, so when it was cooler the other day I pulled a few weeds, put the little rock water fall in and surrounded it with plants scrounged from the rest of the garden. I'll have to get a picture of it and the plants. Only it is not sitting level. We will have to level it as it is losing water. It is so peaceful and relaxing tho. I just love it.

I have a different computer now. I'll have to figure out how to upload it.

Jeanne
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8800887

I've had this mac laptop for 2 years and still have not figured out the iPhoto thingy.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8801281

Coolish and overcast now. Had a storm roll thru a few hours ago. Was at WalMart when it started thundering. Looked out the garden center doors and saw it was black up north. My mom and I high tailed it to the front, checked out and left. Alot of other customers were doing the same thing. Last month we were there and a bad storm rolled thru. It was so bad we got sent to the back of the store. I think alot of the people there today were there that day too. lol. Luckily it was just downpours and not alot of wind this time. It rained hard enough though that we were driving thru several inches of water on the roads while it was raining.

Sunflower and snapdragon

Thumbnail by pepper23

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8801489

Dearest Lord God, Please send us rain. Texas is on fire.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8801707

Here is a picture of my little rock garden waterfall. I just love it. Hope you do too!

Jeanne

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2011
10:42 PM

Post #8801711

Lolu, how fare are you from the fires? It just makes me sick thinking about all the folks losing their homes.
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2011
11:18 PM

Post #8801743

85 and HOT here, we don't expect to see a real change until Fall actually hits on the 23rd then it's to comfortable, probably no frost until sometime late October. It's usually iffy on the weather never know which way it will turn by the 31rst.

Thumbnail by BUFFY690

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 10, 2011
3:10 AM

Post #8801804

Just finished loading the trucks.
Beautiful morning. Moon setting in the west, clear, no wind, 53.

Full moon Monday, but no forecast for frost, yeah!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8801967

I live in a suburb of Dallas. The fires are widespread all over this huge state. Yesterday there was a "moderate" fire just 40 miles from here. Only several hundred acres and no homes were burned. Of course, that is another pasture that feeds cattle and wildlife. I was being facetious when I said "moderate". The fires can. and do, start anywhere. The continuing drought has killed the trees...old growth trees. Like a tinderbox.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8802121

It's just awful. Keeping all in my thoughts.

This message was edited Sep 10, 2011 8:24 AM
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8803074

Clear and comfortable tonight we were out looking for the supernova.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8803210

57/84 Some clouds this morning will give way to generally sunny skies for the afternoon. Warm. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Hi Seeds! I hope the flooding isn't a problem for when you need to get around. Flooding is just a terrible thing to happen :o(
I have cetainly learned to appreciate my neck of the woods!

Lou, I hope you aren't in the path of any of the fires. I haven't had time to watch TV to see where everything is.

Jeanne, the rain just didn't go far enough did it?
There, you took lemons and made lemonade. I'd love to see pictures of your water garden.
Given the weather, you just had to size down for a while.

Lou, I've had a new computer for over a year and I still don't touch everything on it, LOL!

Pepper, CRACKING UP!! Is Walmart your new rain dance? You are always there when it storms!!
What a pretty sunflower! It really goes well with the snaps.

Oh Lou, that is so sad. It really tugs at my heart :o(

Jeanne, how cute is that?!!

Hi Buffy, you have an impressive write-up on your home page!
Love that sky!!

Bernie, don't use the F word, LOL! I haven't even had frost on my mind. But it's only a month away, boo hoo hoo!

Lou, thoughts and prayers still going out for Texas. I sure hope nothing springs up around you.

Buffy, a supernova! Was that to be visible to the naked eye or do you have a telescope?

No rain lately, but that's ok. I'm moving plants around and catching up to all the things I missed this Spring.

My new chicken. He doesn't turn in the wind very well as he sits on the pole a bit crooked. The altimeter is a bit rusty and touchy too, but I like it anyway!

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8803630

Buffy, did you find the supernova? We have a scope we use quite often.
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8803887

We used binoculars...It's not yet reached it's peak..we could see it thoug reall easy to find off the big dipper
here is a link
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/09/supernova-reaches-peak-brightness-grab-your-binoculars-and-look-up.html

Hope some of you can check it out :O)

It was 91 degrees and breezy here today, just right for us southerners...LOL
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8804409

Billy I love your chicken! That is cute!

The rain we got barely wet the ground. We may lose one of our young magnolia trees out front. We will have to reseed the whole front yard. It's dead.
The back is OK. We did lose about five azalea bushes, a few majesty palms, some ferns and some baby sago plants in the back, but that's better than most.

I need to water tomorrow. It's supposed to be 99 tomorrow and Tuesday. This is almost the middle of September. We tied a 1965 record of 95 for today! What gives?

Christi, do you still have your sagos? I've lost a few of our babies. The bigger ones are OK.

That sky is just gorgeous Buffy690!

Take care everyone!
Jeanne

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8804455

We use the binocs, too but the scope is right there, so... LOL

A lovely 77 today. We went to the State Fair and it was beautiful. It clouded up a bit late afternoon but it didn't drop below 65 or so.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2011
3:28 AM

Post #8804608

63/87 Sunshine and a few afternoon clouds. Warm. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph.

Buffy, awesome! I have a telescope and need to take it out tonight.

Jeanne, I am so sorry you are lost your tree and plants. Re-seeding the yard is bad enough. This will be a year none of us will forget.

Celia, I miss our State Fair already :o(

I've really made progress on digging and diving the small iris. Just a few more clumps to go, but I haven't even tackled the tall bearded.

It pays to dig in the dirt, literally. I was pulling dirt back and saw this flash. A 1943 VERY fine condition mercury dime worth three or four $! It wasn't in someone's pocket for very long.

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8805014

VERY nice, Sally!

Did you miss the fair or do you not go cuz it's too far? Or what? LOL

Another perfect day. 80 and sunny.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8805354

Hi Billyporter and all! weather is beautiful here today. The old Susquehanna River went back where he belongs. Sunny and dry and temps in high 70's. Who can ask for more?
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8805496

91 and cloudy very humid...looks like it might wanna try to rain
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8805714

103 here and it is after 7PM.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8805752

A bit hot today. Highs in the low 90s. Cool front working its way back into the area though so tomorrow or Weds we should be cooler again.

Old man Whiskers stealing my chair. This was Friday. lol.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8806137

It was 101 in Houston and 100 under the patio in the shade mid afternoon. It is supposed to be hotter tomorrow and three digits the next day also. Good time to clean out closets. haha!

I did water the back this evening. I have to do it in shifts.

The weatherman did say the tropics look clear and should remain that way until the end of the month, so that is Great News. We usually don't see much activity in Oct. Hopefully we will get thru this year without incident or evacuation.

Jeanne
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8807194

90 clear and hot...Moon was up and full until about 8:15 a.m. this morning when we went out for breakfast...Back to running the sprinklers :O)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8807251

High today around 80 and sunny. Tomorrow high around 70 with a chance of frost north of me.

I went ahead and brought in some of my more tender plants for the next couple days just in case. I'm not gonna lose all my hard work over frost!! lol.

Sweet potato vine bloom.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8807724

50/62/33
Cloudy early with peeks of sunshine expected late. Winds N at 10 to 20 mph.

Where did Fall go?

Celia, our State Fair is in August, we went and I want to go back! It's a 2 & 1/2 hour drive to get there, so we arrive around 9:00am. By 4:00 pm or so we are full and tired. There are small hills to walk up to see some of the stuff.

Seeds, it sounds beautiful there, and I'm glad the old river went back!

Lou, that is too much to deal with! And here, we're possibly going to frost tonight. That shouldn't happen till the middle of October :o(

Pepper, cracking up!!! Mr. Whiskers is sooo funny!

Jeanne, LOL! Yep, it is a good time to do Fall cleaning, with the AC on.

Buffy, it's a beautiful moon. The ''man'' was looking down on me last night.

Pepper, can you believe the frost???

Wow, that is a pretty bloom!

I've been non-stop, moving plants from one bed to another. My big job is moving 10 daylilys to the house wall. First I have to move the pea gravel, Grrrr! I'm moving small starts so when I put the gravel back, I won't be doing this again, hopefully, ever!! Most of them are old timers, so they naturally thin down in Fall and are back as big as ever in the Spring. All are varying shades of yellow.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 14, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8808079

Great pictures, everyone! I'm sorry I haven't been around lately , my Mom got sick again and was in the hospital last month. She has an anemia with a shortage of vitamin B12 which made her so wekk that she couldn't stand on her feet. Now she is living with us and is recovering very well.
My grandson Nicholas is with us these days , so we have a full house!LOL He's learning how to water with Grandma!LOL
Weather has been great, even now in September, but no rain. I have to water everyday...95F today at noon and this is going to be all week.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8808108

He's getting huge! LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8808705

Chilly til late afternoon when the sun finally came out. High around 70. Lows to be around 40 so flirting with frost. Everything that has to be in before being bitten by frost is in. Now I need to rearrange certain areas to make room for all of these plants!! LOL
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8808775

97 again today. no rain.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8809121

41/63 Sunshine and a few afternoon clouds. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph.

Adina, I'm glad your Mom keeps getting better. I'll bet Nicholas felt sooo grown up holding the hose :o) He sure is growing up fast.

Pepper, DH covered the tomatoes yesterday. I'm not ready to lose them yet. I picked 20 before he did. He made tomatoes for dinner the other day with a bit of garlic and sweet honey Catalina salad dressing. YUM!

Lou, I sure hope Texas has a better year next year. I hope we all do!

I managed to move 10 daylilies to the West house wall. I was waiting to make sure the Wild Rose didn't come back. That would have been a mess. It was my biggest job, and I started and finished it last night. The dirt was really wet from the roof run-off. It doesn't rain, it's just condensation from the metal roof. I think they will do great there!

DH found a bird on the side of the road on his walk. He took me out to see it. A Nightjar! I used to see one fly around here in the early morning years and years ago. He would roost along the branch. That gave away what he was. I didn't have a computer back then, Just bird books, LOL! His one eye was shut a bit and he didn't fly, but didn't look injured. He was FEISTY!

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2011

Post #8809122

Daylilys new bed

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8809127

Nightjar or Whip Poor Will or Chucks Widow or Goatsucker. I think they are Nightjars around here.

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8809239

I'm back from vacation at the beach, lots to catch up on here. We saw on the news the flooding in PA and the fires in TX, it brought tears to my eyes listening to the stories of those that lost their homes. No Internet when we are camping, only the local stations.
Weather was very hot our first day at the beach but a cool front came in and the winds blew from the north, first time in a long time. It was very pleasant from then on. Lots of clouds the first days due to the front and a bit of rain, and the waves were up to 8 foot from the hurricane way off the coast, forget which one it was, but gave us a fantastic show for three days.
This morning it was 69 degrees...yeah! Sat outside and drank my morning coffee, feels so good.
Think I'll work in the garden and pulls some weeds.

Sunrise at the beach Sept. 13th

Thumbnail by sunkissed

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 15, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8809257

LAST NIGHT IT FROZE!! 32* in my back yard (twin cities) but mid 20's in surrounding suburbs and throughout MN.
YUK!! There were even reports of SNOW in northern MN yesterday evening. Crazy!
It is supposed to warm up - there is just a high pressure system moving through. Hopefully it will warm up and stay that way through October. I have WAY to much to do in the yard before the snow flies...but I suppose if it hits now I wouldn't have to rake leaves...being they haven't fallen yet. But that would be way too soon.
Oh well, got the sweater on and DH turned the heat on in the house yesterday.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8809469

Hello everyone!

I am doing okay but my girl dog got her tail injury it happen so she will be okay (it happen 2 days ago)

Well, it nice day today but got early so cold yaaaa! also yesterday got rain not much so it will be raining this weekend...

I will be on in either middle of October or after new year...

Take care!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8809480

Nice to hear from you, Rusty but sorry about Juju's tail. What happened?
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8809807

No snow here...broke heat records with 97 or 99 I forgot. At least we are out of the three digits. It should start cooling down eventually!

Cooler weather would be great! It is too hot here to do much of anything.

Glad is everyone is OK!

Jeanne
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8810044

92 and HOT HOT HOT...too hot for shovelling manure...LOL
Kept looking like it wanted to rain wind would kick it a bit then 30 mins later...Nothing...Would Love Some Rain
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8810138

Cloudy all day with a high of 60. Down to 57 now. No frost lasat night.

BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8810298

Our forecast shows 65 for the high tomorrow and 77 high Sat, lows in the 50's...This is why we pull the extra blankies in Sept. Now is the time things get a little squirrly...lol but yay for the cool even if it only lasts two or three days :O)
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8810459

I would be thankful for one or two really cool days...It will be...eventually...

Night all!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8810801

[quote="kwanjin"]Nice to hear from you, Rusty but sorry about Juju's tail. What happened?[/quote]

I just don't know what happen that I put her outside for 10 minutes and I was in bathroom and Rusty was with me and he start barking maddy and I check on JuJu outside and she was maddy (her hair way up like cat hiss!) so I just open the door and she rush inside something going on outside but I m not even go outside that so cold yesterday... So, today her tail is get better and I keep check on her tail and she got swollen around the tail and tail just not move for while and still yip and whine for a day! She will be heal in a week I m not sure but I'm not take her to vet that cost me $$$! I know about dog way and keep in healthy for years...

She will be fine for good lol...

Take care...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8810831

Poor baby. She sounds like she'll be fine.

64, cloudy and breezy. Possibly might get some rain today! Woohoo!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 16, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8810870

Sounds like she got bit by something. A snake maybe?

Or she could have gotten into a bee's nest and been stung.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2011 9:14 AM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8810871

Or a cat.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 16, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8810887

A cat bite shouldnt make the tail swell though.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2011
11:44 AM

Post #8811088

Or ants. We have black Argentine ants and they bite the dickens out of me and my dogs.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 16, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8811111

Do you have fire ants Rusty?
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8811235

66 high today, morning glories lasted till after 4pm, little on the windy side dried up most of the rain from last night. Great day for working on some projects in the garden, removed a dead eucalyptus, Looking for a chipper so I cqan recycle into mulch.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8811553

Low 60s and dreary all day. Some rain every now and then. Now it's flat out cold!! lol
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8811817

we are showing 55 degrees outside...No AC all day
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8812589

Cold and rainy til about 4pm then the sun peeked for a little while. Cloiuds moved back in and so did rain in some areas.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8812856

Much cooler and a great day for shopping and eating out! It sprinkled, but that was about it. Supposed to rain all week. Fine with me!

Jeanne

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8812976

Jeanne, Good to hear you're gonna get rain!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2011
11:26 PM

Post #8812978

Thrilled you got rain! I hope it DOES rain all week for you!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2011
3:56 AM

Post #8813029

61/65 Showers early will become a steadier rain for the afternoon with a rumble of thunder possible. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%. 1 to 2 inches of rain expected.

Sunkissed, I'm glad your beach vacation was a good one! I'd love to see and hear the waves in person!

Such a perfect sunrise!! That is calender worthy!! Gorgeous!!

Hi Minnesippi, love your name :o)

We were close to the frost prediction, but stayed near 40* after all. I hope it was a light frost and didn't damage anything.

Rusty! So sorry about Ju's tail. Did she catch it in the door?

Jeanne, snow there would be a miracle, LOL!

Buffy, I'd love to be shoveling manure, LOL! DD got rid of the horses, her BIL plowed the field and planted corn. The corn looks great!

Rusty, yep, poor baby. A vet couldn't do anything for her so you were right to not take her. I wonder what got both of them so riled?

Celia, ROTFL!! Cat was my guess!

Beautiful color on the MG's! I chose the rosy pink with the white center this year.

We have a good chance for rain today and I'll be happy to get it.

I've been busy editing photos. Then we got the boys Friday after school and took them with us Saturday to the DH's side of the family reunion. DD brought the twins and they were adored by everyone. Today the boys go home.

I am on a cloud! In the outdoors and the noise, both of twins picked out my voice and focused on my face. I am officially their Grandma and I am so happy!
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8813047

Looks like this is our last day of cool weather back into the high 80's and 90's into the week. Today we accomplish nothing in the garden we will be on the road all day with 4 teenage girls for a birthday celebrations :O)
Happy 13th birthday week to my big girl Andrea

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8813133

Ugh...it was nice here the beginning of the week...on Wednesday was 69 degrees at sunrise for my morning walk, but this morning was 75...send me your cooler weather...I'm soooooooooooooo ready for it. Looks like rain coming in this morning from the Atlantic...not so common in the morning.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 18, 2011
10:31 AM

Post #8813446

rain today until dinner time. Yesterday was not only beautiful but very productive. Seeded and fertilized the back yard, watered (of course), planted 50 or so iris, mulched all over the gardens, weeded, and did 7 loads of laundry.
Today I made chili, finished the last 2 loads of laundry and I want to get outside...but dont want to play in the rain. DS has a friend over and DD will be home in a few hours from her dad's. DH is at NG Drill until this evening. What to do.
I have lots of seed to "de-chaf" but dont think I have the patience for that right now. Need to be up and moving. Course I could use a nap too.
Weather will be warmer this week with rain several days. Guess that saves me from having to remember to water the new grass seed. :)
Everyone have a beautiful day. We are half way through September. Can you believe it? 99 days until Christmas!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8813474

Eeeeeek! I haven't even started anything for Halloween, let alone Christmas!!!!! Eeeeeek!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8813535

Buffy, four girls, all day, in the same vehicle Wow! All yours?

Happy Happy Birthday Andrea. This is one of the important ages. I wish you a good year!

Sunkissed, cracking up! I'll take your 75* perfect temp and send you my 63*!!

Minnesippi, I must have replanted around 50 of the small iris. Not the mini's, but the intermediates. They were getting crowded last year, but this year, I had to really tug and twist to get those overlayed roots off! You are really going to town. The grass alone is worth the bother. I love a fellow clothes hanger. I've hung four at a time, but never seven. You are the queen, LOL!

No no no. It's too soon for Christmas!

Celia, same panic here, but if I get candy now, DH, and just maybe, me, will have it gone. Been there, done that!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8813866

Rain all day and coolish. Rain mostly gone now, just mostly cloudy.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8813993

Sally, I don;'t really bother much anymore about the Holidays. We have everyone over for Thanksgiving then we all go to my DBs for Christmas or the other way. We switch off. Halloween is different here. I decorate inside and out. I even have little white pumpkins growing so I can paint them up. LOL
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 18, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8814033

Hang? lol...dryer. If I hung laundry, the dogs would have it scattered throughout the yard in a heartbeat.

Went back to Menards and got 15 more bags of mulch. 10 yesterday. got the 10 down and 5 from the trip tonight. it got too dark for me to see what I was doing so I had to quit. I also ended up picking up many bulbs - tulips mostly. $4.99 & $1.99 for bunches. Menards has Christmas stuff out already. But I love the summer clearance stuff.

Gonna hafta get into the storage area and get out the holiday bins soon.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2011
3:09 AM

Post #8814372

61/77 A few showers early with bright sunshine by the afternoon. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Celia, smiling. Halloween for me is turning on the light and passing out candy. This year I actually have a few Fall and Halloween decorations to set out, thanks to my elderly relative. I want to see pictures of your little painted pumpkins!! I miss carving and cleaning one out. Dad used to grow pumpkins, but now we don't buy any.

Minnesippi, LOL! Fair play to them eh? How many and how big?

Ooooh, mulch envy here! I've been so busy moving things and having other things to do I haven't had time to notice how much mulch I might need for topping off. I need to move flowers off the back side of the Hostas before I finish those two small beds.

Ooooh, storage shed and holiday bins envy here too, LOL!

I woke up to rain! I wasn't expecting it, but I'll take it!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 19, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8814517

Billyporter - Black lab/greyhound mix -70lbs - 8yrs & Chocolate lab - 95lbs - 3 yrs. Also have 2 cats, one of which I think is pregnant. Whoops. She is a beautiful chocolate brown - long hair - so maybe she will have irresistible babies and they will go quick.

My intention was to mulch this spring...well, needless to say that never happened. Now it is all on sale so muching away I go :) I have a feeling I will be back for more. I need 4 pallets to do the whole yard. Dont know if I will be that ambitious or not.

Our storage shed is a 2 car detached garage turned "dog house" for my husband. I have a little corner filled with bins. Had to color code them so I didnt have to try and read labels in the dark :) The orange one will be coming out in the next week with the fall and Halloween stuff. Its more for the kids as we only get maybe 10 kids @ the door each year.

It was done raining when I got up, supposed to be 70 today. Hope this fog lifts soon. Very dreary right now.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8814620

Halloween is for ME! LOL

Do you live near water, Minnesippi? We get fog off the lake here. It's quite eerie. When I was in CA, we got fog often and I love watching it. "Dog house"? LOL Is he bad often enouigh to need it?

53 with 85 for the high. Heavy dew has covered everything for the last couple of weeks in the AM.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 19, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8814638

I have wetlands in the front of the house (no neighbors there - ever :) ) and drive across the St Croix River to work every day.

Yes, the "Dog House" is his place to go. Cable, Internet, the whole 9 yards down there. Cant say as he's ever used it though. It was converted to a "train room" before we bought the house so it is carpeted and the walls are finished. No heat or a/c but being it isnt used for anything but storage, at this point it doesnt need those things. We may end up converting back to a regular garage one of these years. Could use the storage.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8814641

Lucky you! I would love to live right near a wetland. We have to drive awhile to find good ones.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8814649

The unexpected rain yesterday off the Atlantic streamed across my county off and on until about three PM. However it took a nice break from 9:30 until 1 PM and I got a lot of work done in the garden. Did some trimming, weed pulling, added some compost to my pepper plants since they are all re-budding for fall crop.
Was nice because the wet ground made weed pulling much easier and I dug up lots of volunteer sprouted seedings for the Central Florida round up to give away, and took some cuttings off other plants and put them all in some pots to root. So the heavier rain afterwards gave a nice fresh rain watering to all those newly planted in the pots, they were all wilted from shock, but after the rain perked right back up.

I can't even begin to think about Christmas when it is still getting to 90 most days. I have a few family birthdays to get through first. I envy all of you that are getting to feel FALL!

@ Billy, I'll take your 63 in the mornings and gladly send you my 75...walking is so much easier when it is in the sixties.

@ minnesippi - you sure do get a lot done in one day...you must take some good multi vitamins...LOL
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 19, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8814652

We are essentially surrounded by it. I love it.
Not sure if the attachment will come through, but its my surrounding area.
Deer, turkey, geese, ducks of all kinds, hundreds of birds, all sorts of critters

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 19, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8814661

@ sunkissed - no vitamins :( I think its my thyroid meds actually. Either that or my pain meds. I get a "white tornado" going and I just cant stop until I am ready to fall over. (I am paying for it today).
Only problem is, when I look, it doesnt look or feel like I did anything. :( The chili was good though. After dinner you couldnt tell I cleaned the kitchen though. :( And now that DH is back from drill weekend and DD from her dad's, there is more laundry to do.
PTA meeting tonight so I wont get to it until tomorrow - but then there are dentist appts, soccer pictures and a scout meeting...so Wednesday maybe? Ugh. Clone me please!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8814672

Oh how I miss chili...soup...stew...baking in the oven.

I remember how much energy I had when my three sons were little, I think they used it all up back then...LOL

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8814703

[quote="minnesippi"]Sounds like she got bit by something. A snake maybe?

This message was edited Sep 16, 2011 9:14 AM[/quote]

Nope...

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8814705

[quote="minnesippi"]Do you have fire ants Rusty?[/quote]

No fire ants around here at all...
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 19, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8814706

Rusty - wonder what it could be. Puppy any better now or still sore?

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8814708

[quote="minnesippi"]Sounds like she got bit by something. A snake maybe?

This message was edited Sep 16, 2011 9:14 AM[/quote]

Nope too! I have no idea how she got it from! Also she go outside while I keep eye on her tail all the time never hurt her at all...

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8814710

[quote="minnesippi"]Rusty - wonder what it could be. Puppy any better now or still sore?[/quote]

Get better for now and keep check on her tail in morning and evening so she is tough dog!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8814719

Got good soak raining and lightning last weekend and sure it got me a big boom so close to my home!

JuJu show me that I notice oh my a baby squirrel die in my back yard that part of tail and feet so I pick it up and threw in trash!

Well, I did paint my house which from tornado hit so my house is okay but look at the crack between them (wood to wood lines is not perfect!) I chalk it up good and let it dry for 2 days then when it hot day I paint it for 2 days which I let it dry first then next day I paint again...

Take care everyone!

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8814854

WE GOT RAIN!!!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8815200

We got rain, also! It rained almost all day Sunday and some Sunday night! We're still down almost 2 ft of rain...but it sure did cool it off. It is so nice outside!

Christi, glad you got rain as well! We sure did need it! And still do!

Jeanne

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8815240

YEAH...HAPPY DANCE FOR TEXAS RAINS! Or maybe I should do a rain dance...LOL.

A rainbow for ya all...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8815528

FINALLY!!! Texas got rain!!!!

Today we jumped back into summer. High of 81. Felt too hot for me. I want fall back. lol

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8815703

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAW!!!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8815870

48/79 Mostly sunny early with isolated thunderstorms developing this afternoon. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Minnesippi, nice dogs! Your cat sounds beautiful and what kitten isn't irresistable? :o)

My neighbor has bought a mountain of mulch bags. They are stacked all over! Most goes to topping off. They have a terrible morning glory problem. It chokes everything. Now I see bindweed on her plants.

What I could do with an empty garage, but also what a wonderful place for your DH!

Celia, I noticed a box in the bedroom under my cast off clothes and happily it's some of the Halloween decorations my friend gave me. I just have to dig for the Fall stuff.

I love going across the bridges and seeing the fog rise off the water. It's very soothing, even tho I went by at 57 mph, LOL!

That's the most beautiful Dragonfly I have ever seen!

Minnesippi, wetlands, how wonderful!

Heck, take it for yourself, LOL! Yep, what I could do with that garage!

Sunkissed, I wish I had a second crop instead of pulling plants :o(

Welll, today it's only 48*. Want that one too? :o)

Minnesippi, no picture. Try again :o)

Smiling over the kitchen.

One Minnesippi, Two Minnesippi :o)

Rusty, I think big dogs like Labs just hurt their tails a lot easier than other dogs. I'm glad she's not hurting.

Oh my on the baby squirrel.

I hope you get more hot days so you can paint.

OH LOU!!! Fantastic!!

OH JEANNE!! Fantastic!!

Sunkissed, the rainbow is beautiful!! I love the way the clouds are just over the ocean and the little surf is no neat! Just a neat picture altogether!

Pepper, I could have been a bit warmer :o)

I mowed yesterday. The baby grass is almost the same color as the rest of the lawn now. The corners are reserved for black border and corydalis. Right now the corydalis is too brittle to move.

Thumbnail by billyporter

BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2011
4:52 AM

Post #8815896

66 degrees and cloudy, home alone with the youngest, who apparrantly has already tried to take every toy she owns out this morning...LOL...gotta get us in out rubbers and get some more stuff in the ground a good rain will set those roots in great :O)

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8816045

News says this weekend our first taste of fall coming...it'll only get up to low 80's...LOL.

Billy glad you like my rainbow, those same clouds at night make wonderful lightening shows. I was able to capture it in this photo, they were quite a distance out and the picture was through the motor home window around two AM. Enlarge so you can tell what it is.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 20, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8816171

That is a beautiful pic!
We are supposed to hit 80 again this weekend. Im so excited!

Mulch bags still sitting in the yard. At least I moved them off the grass so it wont kill what we have left. :/
Maybe I can get some of them down tonight, but I really need to dig some JoePye that I need to ship off to others before I put it down. Might have to wait until this weekend to finish mulching...but I do have lots more bulbs to plant cuz Im a sucker and bought more...and will probably buy even more. Buying Butterfly Ginger as well.
The first step to recover is admitting you have a problem...what problem? I am creating oxygen, providing critter food and shelter, sharing and relieving stress. I dont see that as a problem :D

Not sure how to get the picture on here...from Google Maps that is. Cant save it as a JPEG or anything...still trying to figure it out. Ugh. Today may not be the day for that though. Still have my headache from yesterday. :(

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 20, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8816420

Just home from our vacation. 2100 miles of driving fun!
Drove through bluff country of MN & Wisconsin. Very pretty but wished the leaves were colored.
Then down to Princeton, IL, spent the night there.
Drove to Mt. Vernon, IL for the next night. Kids called & said everything froze overnight., down to 30. They had everything out of the garden that was possible.
Thursday we arrived at Prizer Point, KY. Stayed 3 nights & had a very good time with the Round Up & all. (Got some neat, new daylilys.)
Left there Sunday heading for Branson, MO. Took the "short" route. We went up & down & around the Ozark mountains for about 4 hours. Beautiful scenery, but not much fun driving. Most of the time it was 35 MPH or less.
Not terribly excited about Branson.
Next stop was Osceola, IA. Nice trip from Branson to Osceola. Lots of cattle on pastures.
This morning we headed home. Not much exciting going across Iowa.

Saw this old cabin north of Branson.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8816731

Love that old cabin!!!

Today was like yesterday. Still too warm for me and sunny. I'm noticing that the sun seems like it's hanging lower in the sky now. Used to be I could step outside at work and not be looking directly into the sun. Now I am looking directly into it and can't hardly see where I'm going. lol. Not a good thing with lots of old ladies around who can't drive. lol

I need to get new pics of gardens. Hopefully tomorrow.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8817389

54/70 Lots of sunshine. Winds W at 15 to 25 mph.

Buffy, when they do get all the toys out, it is time to change their scenery. I hope she had fun planting with you. My Grandson's love to use my short handles shoivels and rakes. LOL!

Sunkissed, I have a sky folder with pictures of any kind of sky I can take a picture of, LOL! I nevr get tired of clouds or color.

Wow! You catch good pictures! I love the forked finger!

Minnesippi, we hit 80* yesterday and it felt wonderful!

I have one Joe Pye that a neighbor gave me as a seedling. It's a few years old now and I'd like to move part of it to another bed. Is it easy to do? Can it be divided like anything else ? It's a good 2' or better across the roots.

LOL! I do the same, plus provide soothinging feelings to neighbors and passerbys, so no, not a problem!!

Don't worry. It will get done. A bag of mulch doesn't go far and it will be gone before you know it.

I've never saved a Google map photo.

Aww on the headache. I hope it's gone today. Migranes?

Bernie, smiling. Yet you saw more scenery than you would have. We are cornfields and not a lot of color to our trees unless you get to a hardwood timber in a park, or along the river. Yet, I love Iowa.

Nice cabin! I would love to use it for a weekend get away!

Pepper, cracking up over the little old ladies, but it's really NOT funny!

I can tell when I'm ready to get off the computer and the sun just starts to hit me thru the window. Then it makes the floor glare, but I hate to shut the sun out so I close my eyes as I go thru the kitchen doorway :o)

I got one bed filled in from other beds yesterday and didn't even get a picture yet, LOL! I'm slowly moving daylilies around. Now that's a chunk of dirt! No wonder I had a cramp in each leg last night. Naturally they had to be an hour apart so I had to get up twice, LOL!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 21, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8817442

Rain today. We need it. And saves me from watering the grass seed again.

JoePye will transplant fine - I have done it many times. And divide. The roots are spread wide!! The seed will fly everywhere and you will start to find them all over the place. Mine have been in place almost 8 years now and I have them shooting up all over the gardens.

Still have the headache. I think my neck is out of whack. Guess its time to hang upside down for a while. :/
I will try later again with the picture and see what I can come up with. I should have plenty of time today...

Steph

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8817473

Minnesippi, I've only had mine a few years, and laughing, I cut the seed heads off after they fuzz out. I've never found a seedling, and my neighbor just had the one. That's where I got mine. I love it tho. I have it in the back yard behind the garage with the dirty white boneset that smells like honey. Sadly, our Joe Pyes don't smell like vanilla so I think we just have the common one.

Do you have something to hang by? I've always wanted the slant board that tips, but I have high blood pressure, so that's out. I hope you can get it back so your headache goes away. That's no fun :o(

In this picture, the tallest plant is Giant Yellow Hyssop, of the agastache family. You can barely tell the dirty white boneset, and the yarrow just came out the other day. It was like pulling teeth!! I let it grow there a couple years, but it grows across the road, so I don't need it. I also have the double Bouncing Bet, Canada Tick Trefoil, Coneflowers, Hollyhock, Balloon Flower and Fall asters in that half of the bed. Yep, it's a wild mess!

Thumbnail by billyporter

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 21, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8817534

I dont have anything to hang by except the edge of the bed - and oddly enough I found an excellent spot on the roof when I was cleaning the gutters. (Weird, I know) Aside from that, I think it may be time for a trip to the Chiro. I've been dealing with migraines for 25+ years - unfortunately, I can function quite well with one 97% of the time. And when I take my vicodin, I am the "white tornado" which is why I get so much done in the yard :)

I have gotten rid of a few seed heads out front, but that was to plant more for the butterflies and birds. I will be digging some out in back this weekend to ship off to different people and "reorganize" the gardens...
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8817797

My son has migraines and he takes COQ10 and just started taking fevervew from Swanson Health Products. The CoQ10 has really helped. They also have a supplement called Migraine Relief that you put under your tongue. It helps also!

Hope you get to feeling better!

Jeanne
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 21, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8817817

Thanks Jeanne - I've taken the CQ10 before but only for energy. Its stress for me mostly. I have had so many MRI's & CT's trying to figure out why I get them - I developed and was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer last April (2010). I presume it was from all the radiation I have been exposed to over the years. Who knows. That's all better now but still get the migraines. I try to garden as much as I can - its my stress reliever - but winter in MN makes it difficult. :/ and house plants dont have the same effect.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8818386

Cooler today over yesterday with a high of 71. Not bad at all!!

Have new pics but gotta fix the thing so it don't download all the pics, only the new ones. I don't know why camera programs can't work right for me. I blame the computer. LOL.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8818952

49/64 Sunny to partly cloudy. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Minnesippi, I goofed on the picture. Not the yarrow, the Goldenrod! It was tougher than nails coming out and to think, I only grabbed the shovel in case. I was going to pull it out by hand. Ha, I barely got it out with the shovel!

I feel sorry for anyone with migraines. I rarely get headaches, but I get one with, I guess, is the crud. It lasts for a day or two sometimes and I can't sleep. When I do fall asleep I feel like I'm in a black hole. There's no rest. I don't know where it comes from, but I've had a taste of what a migraine might be like.

Hanging from the roof, LOL! I imagine the rescue squad would be pulling up if the neighbors saw that!

I think you accomplish a lot for everything you've been thru. I hope everything else is in the past and you won't have any more problems. Migraines are so hard to control, but you wonder why someone hasn't come up with a solution.

Pepper, it's not you, it's the computer... I hope you figure it out. It's so frustating to not get things to work right.

Our peaches aren't the best, but they have been ripening and falling off the tree. I cleaned and froze twelve quarts. There were quite a few worms to remove because it was too windy to ever spray this spring.

Then I went over and picked two dishpans of Jonathan apples off the neighbor's tree. There were a lot of, too small, apples to pick. I picked tomatoes and came in to make a green tomato pie. Then DD called and needed a sitter, so we had all four :o)

I thought this was an especailly pretty Zinnia. I'm going to try to save seeds and hope it comes back true. I'd love to have a row of them!

Thumbnail by billyporter

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 22, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8819067

We have a pretty flat roof. I own a duplex - side by side - when I was cleaning gutters (eeewww) I laid over one of the peaks to get my arm down in the downspout to unclog it and oh my gosh if that didnt feel wonderful on the back!!! I laid there for about 15 minutes, with my hand in the downspout. :) LOL. Perfect time now, the gutters are filled with acorns (instead of maple trees like before - yes, they were about 6-8 inches tall in the gutters - I apparently was starting a tree farm in my spare time. Maple in the spring and oak in the fall)
I had harvested a half gallon of elderberry but they molded in the bucket before I could get to them :( next time they go right into the freezer. Tomatoes are plentiful, but still green. One or two every other day to pick. Im getting impatient. Peppers are just finishing their flowers too. Everything is so late this year.
Neighbors have apples. I have been tempted to go ask but I dont know what I would I would do with them.
...Still have the headache :( ...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8819167

Have been deadheading the zinnia's that returned from last year's crop. Just pitch the flower head anywhere in the garden. I think every single seed has already germinated. They are coming up by the thousands. I seldom save seed anymore. Thought about how nature does it...flowers, becomes seed, falls to the ground, winters over and comes up in the spring. So far it has been very successful that way. Could be I am just a little lazy. I know it works with poppy, larkspur, ruella, four o'clock, milkweed, salvia, moon flower, amarantha and probably a dozen more that I can't think of right now.

joeswife, I would be honored to accept the bird of paradise. Your collection is so much more extensive than mine I really don't know what to offer for trade. RJ gave me a gazillion plants when we first met. This last winter and summer has killed most of the tropicals even with $350.00 water bills for the last 3 months. The sun's rays have been horrendous.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8819959

Low 70s and sunny today.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2011
3:26 AM

Post #8820227

42/64 Sun and clouds mixed. Slight chance of an afternoon shower. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Minnesippi, I am rolling on the floor laughing and laughing over the picture of you on the roof!! I'll bet it did feel wonderful and I'll bet I'd do the same thing!

Grinning over the tree farm too. I get a kick out of a whole row of trees growing in peoples gutters, even tho I know it's not a good thing.

If anything, peel and quarter, or chop, and just cook them till soft. They will freeze for a while, but with added sugar will keep in the fridge for a while. Mighty good for dinner!

Too bad the good stretch didn't fix your headache. Do you tell your Dr. about it? I had pain pills left over from a surgey. I never needed any of them. I took one for one of those severe headaches and it really cut down on the pain. I eventually used all 10 pills, but I used them sparingly. I don't ever want to be dependent on a pill.

Lou, smiling over all the zinnias. How wonderful that they have a chance to mature and flower! I have to bring my seed in over the winter. Out of your list tho, most will overwinter here too.

We're to have a north wind the next few days. Boo hoo. I don't like cold wind :o(
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 23, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8820362

Dr's have no clue how to help me with my headaches...for 20 years now. Every time I get an MRI done, they tell me there is nothing there..so I dont see what the problem is! LOL!

I will be on the roof this weekend helping DH trim trees. Maybe get a picture of both the yard and me laying on the roof :) I could use a good stretch.
It was supposed to be 80 on Sunday...somehow that has dropped to 66 :( but warmer end of next week. I hate the cold weather. Why do I live in MN?!?!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8820404

minnesippi - I feel for you with the headaches...I myself never get a headache unless I've had too much red wine or getting a cold. But my eldest son has had them since he was in grade school. I took him to doctor's for years and he was diagnosed with migraines. He is 27 now and hasn't had one for three years, and he used to get them at least three times a year. He said the only thing he has stopped is anything with aspartame in it. His were so bad, he had dizziness and light sensitivity with them. I wonder what your neighbors thought with you just laying up on your rooftop with your arm down that spout...LOL. I'd be calling 911 :)

We've had some real heavy rains this week, lots of booming thunder and lightening cracks. Then later the sun comes out and makes a nice sauna...ugh! We have a cold front from the north and a warm low from the south meeting up over Florida and so we are HUMID and WET right now. The garden although loves it.

My Costa Rican peppers...getting big.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8820457

WHen it rains we get all of it at one time...LOL...my plants are loving it. it's in the mid 70's and pond like here at my home, can't really get out and work in it but I do plan to harvest some herbs as soon as things dry off a little. :O)
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 23, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8820459

My longest headache was 36 days. I was in the emergency room every other day. That was about 10 years ago, but I get headaches daily and migraines twice a month or so. Light and sound sensitivity, touch sensitivity (my skin hurts too). My vision gets all messed up too. I have learned to function through them for the most part. I am allergic to mold so no wine, beer, cheese, penicillin, etc for me. Moldy houses are not good either! Thats the only thing I hate about spring is all the snow mold.

My husband was on the roof with me and the only neighbors that could see us are the ones that dont talk to us any more because their pitbull attacked my lab through the fence and I reported it to the police and made comments on Facebook. So they are pissed off. Oh well. I dont need drunks in my life anyway :) No skin off my butt.
Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

September 23, 2011
10:12 AM

Post #8820649

Minnesippi: I am also sensitive to migraine and have a very weird experience with it. The attacks came every now and then and became more frequent and intenser year after year. Then I went into a depression (mother passed away, father had cancer, lost my job, lost my friends and my relation crashed and all this in less than 3 months time) and took medication against it, but I also needed to take a beta blocker because the medication didn't had the right effect. This took away the migraine attacks for more than a year but when I stopped the medication the migraine came back. Then I took st johns wort against seasonal affective disorder and discovered that the migraine stopped as long as I took it. During summer I stopped st johns wort because it made me sensitive to light and the migraine came back. The second winter I restarted to take the herb treatment but this time it worked only a little bit against migraine and when I stopped I felt no difference. The thirth winter (last
one) I restarted st johns wort and now the migraine attacks were extremely hard and almost twice a week, a real disaster winter. I stopped with the herbs in spring and now suddenly the migraine attacks are gone, nobody understands. Only very rarely I have a single attack but much lesser than before this all happened.
Now I believe that st johns wort works against migraine, but if you want to try it you should be cautious because I don't know how it would work on other people who suffer headache or migraine attacks.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8821151

Coolish with highs in the low 70s. Felt good though.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2011
3:30 AM

Post #8821599

38/64 Mostly sunny skies during the morning giving way to clouds and a few showers late. Thunder possible. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Minnesippi, I think you said you go to the chiro in an earlier post. That is most likely the best treatment. Why don't your Dr.s prescribe a good pain pill then, if it isn't a stroke or tumor?
Oh, to stretch!!
I love trimming trees and picking up branches. Don't ask me why, LOL!

Sunkissed, cracking up over 911!
I don't miss the wet and humid. UGH is right!
Nice pepper! I love the dew drop :o) Are they hot?

Buffy, I love hearing how all our weather is different.
For us, rain can be a week apart or a month apart. If it was weekly, it would be perfect!

Minnesippi, that's a tough row to hoe. You have my sympathy.
Yep, you don't need neighbors like that!!

Cumulus, my sympathy to you too for the headaches. That was a lot of good information. I hope your headaches stay away!

Pepper, sounds nice. I've barely had a chance to be outside the last couple of days. I hope October is warmer than September has been. What a bummer year for almost everyone!

Today is Grandson #2's birthday and he's 5. Cake and ice cream at his house!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 24, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8821776

Billy - you are more than welcome to come help with the trees/branches any time :) We have 9 oaks that are 75+ years old. The dogs try to help by "mulching" branches in the yard. lol. You can even come help rake too :o)
I take vicodin or tramadol which helps most of the time but I dont like to take it too often. Excedrine used to do the trick if I caught in in the first 10 minutes, but that doesnt work any more.
Seems we are a magnet for alcoholics...not sure why. We hardly drink at all so its weird that we attract drinkers.

40* right now...not sure what it is supposed to get to today. DD has a soccer game @ noon so I hope it warms up for that.
Woke up with a tight cough today. Hoping it was just from having the fireplace going last night. DS has been sick for a week, so I doubt it, but I can still hope, right?

Yes Cumulus, thank you for the information. I havent tried any of the "natural meds" but I've read about several.

Billy - happy birthday to your grandson and have a good time at the party.

Kittens are due to arrive any day now. Tweek looks like she is carrying around a football in her tummy. Keeping a close eye on her and trying to keep her in the house.

Everyone have a beautiful day. Time to refill the coffee mug and get rollin on the day.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8822606

Low 70s for a high and sunny. Temps are now in the low 60s with a breeze so it feels alot colder.

Finally got pics up!!

Huechera Villosa 'Tiramisu' Hope it survives winter and comes back this size or bigger. My plants usually shrink the next year. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8823292

Dug up some pretty sad looking huechera yesterday and going to plant in an old wash tub. This summer has been brutal. Will winter over in the tool shed and try again next year.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 26, 2011
12:21 AM

Post #8824229

Still warm during the day 75F, but very cold at night 53F. Sunny, but windy.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8824281

49/60 Rain showers early, then thundershowers developing for the afternoon. Windy. Winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Minnesippi, we had a couple dirty elms. It kept me limber picking up all the branches. Sometimes I used a bucket, but many times I saw how many I could get balanced on one hand. I did pretty good :o) Those old oaks sound wonderful!

Smiling, I actually like to rake too. It's Zen.

I hate to take pills, but it comes to it. Head pain is not good.

I am so lucky to not live by anyone who drinks or blasts their music.

Funny, my DH is usually never sick and he hasn't felt well this week. Usually it's me. I do hope you don't come down with anything. My throat is dry and I think it's the change in the weather. I think Friday I'm going to get a flu shot. My first one ever.

Ohhhh, kittens!!! Pictures right after they're born, cleaned and fed!

Pepper, I had to laugh over the shrinkage. I moved two of my pretty colored ones and I had a wilty one yesterday. Water, water, water! I hope your's does make it. I would have liked to divide the one, but it wasn't falling apart, so I didn't risk it.

That one is as pretty as Marmalade!

Lou, well, they will have to do better than they are. I'll bet they look a lot better next year. Aren't Coral Bells supposed to be planted an inch deeper than they were? I think I remembered to do that. I also have the red blooming ones that really need to be redone.

Adina, I'd love to go back to your temps. Even tho we baked, we still didn't have a decent summer.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 26, 2011
5:56 AM

Post #8824451

UGH...so sick...tight chest, cough, tired...
Took a nap in the hammock yesterday after DH was kind enough to help me put it up. I know, little late in the season, but I had a hankering for a nap in the sun. Didnt sleep all that well and ended up pulling those stray elm trees out of the garden instead.
Got the oaks trimmed in front, 300 bulbs planted, dogwood hedges trimmed and took some pictures (they are of course at home though). Fixed the fence, weeded, 9 loads of laundry (the bane of my existence it seems)

Kittens are still incubating...Tweek is getting a bit swollen - I think her milk is coming in...getting closer :)

I moved my coral bells this weekend when I was planting bulbs. It was pretty big and Im sure I could have split it, but I just stuck it back in the ground. Moved a bunch of ditch lily too. Sprayed the buckthorn, cleaned up the brush from the spraying the city did for buckthorn.

64 today. I wish it were warmer...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8824755

Sorry you're sick. Makes the days miserable. We have the same temp but we supposed to get to almost 80.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2011
4:10 AM

Post #8826165

51/69 Cloudy with a few showers. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

We got a half inch of needed rain yesterday!!!

Minnesippi, the hammock sounds nice! I hope there are days you can use it that are warm, and you feel better.
By the way, how much do you accomplish when you aren't sick? ROTFL! Now that is more than a days work!! I sure hope you feel better fast.

I need to remember to wear a short sleeved shirt to town. I am determined to get that flu shot this week!

DH can't shake whatever he has and feels a little woozy.

Celia, ROTFL!

Have a wonderful day folks. Winter is creeping up on us.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 27, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8826273

55/69 today. possible showers.
I am home sick today. feel like I am going to cough up a kidney. I have strict instructions from my DH to rest today. Guess I go through my seeds and spend the day on DG or I know I will try and do something around the house/yard. I cant stand to be idle. Yes, i can squeeze 2 or 3 days work into one, but I pay for it later. Just how I am.
No kittens yet, I would say within the next 48 hours being her milk is coming in. The other cat has been crying at 4am the last two nights. no idea why but I dont enjoy being awakened at 4am when I am sick. But the cat cry is much less disturbing that the dog barking at that time.

Here is part of the front yard. still lots of work to do

Thumbnail by minnesippi

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 27, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8826274

more

Thumbnail by minnesippi

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 27, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8826276

And the prego kitty Tweek :)

Thumbnail by minnesippi

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8826347

Minnesippi, it's hard to keep a good woman down! I think you should rest a little tho and sorting seeds IS a nice quiet job. I hope you don't have bronchaitis or pnemonia.

Yeah, what's up with all the animals?

That's my kind of yard. I love the view! Is that an asphalt driveway? It looks nice too.

Awww Tweek is beautiful! She's hanging out on the sides for sure.

So, you need to take it easy. It sounds like a trip to the Dr if you can't get rid of the cough.

Time flew. I have to go.

Hope to check back in with after dinner coffee.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 27, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8826362

I sit here and just think about all the things that I could/should be doing while I am home, but the body isn't going to let me do much of anything. Took everything I had to get the trash down to the corner (its a long driveway).

Yes, asphalt that needs replacing in the worst way. Gonna be a spendy project.

I have a Dr appt tomorrow anyway - so just one more thing to cover when I am there.

might already be nap time...or maybe just more coffee...

Hoping Tweek has her babies when I am home.

Its starting to rain here. Sprinkles. Mother Nature is trying to take care of me as well by keeping me in the house.

Thumbnail by minnesippi

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8826543

Thank you, Mother N! We don't need Minnesippi any sicker.

That does look like lots of work. What are your eventual plans for it? Or do you make it up as you go, like me? Or is this just a clean-up mission?

78 for the high today. Time to plant bulbs and relocate some things. I have 2 new clematis to plant, as well. Cleo thinks I should pet her instead.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 27, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8826600

No, I dont need to be any sicker. Ugh!
I am sorting and cleaning seed from my mother. What a chore! But I am resting.

First clean up - lots of buckthorn. I am trying to naturalize it and also have some other things planted - daylily, bleeding heart, hosta, joepye - dropped seed down there as well. Want a butterfly habitat and a "secret garden" area as well. Somewhere to sit and watch nature, somewhere for the kids to play and get involved with nature. So all of the above to answer your question.

Dogs and kitties are following me around today. "baby momma" is sleeping...i wish she would have those kitties already...im getting impatient! :)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8826604

Yeah! Hurry up, already! LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8826616

Minnesippi, I think this time the body knows best.

Sometimes those Dr. appt's are timely aren't they? It sounds like you need to be on something before it really gets the best of you.

I can't wait to see Tweeks babies!

Love the Joe Pye!

Celia, CRACKING UP! I have a grey face and the other end in my face lately. Now that it's getting cold he wants to boo-boo kitty as I type!

I think Cleo is irresistable :o)

Minnesippi, awesome plans! I want the same thing, but so far haven't been able to make any place too private.

You tell her Celia!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8826619

Cleo IS irresistable. Especially when she head-butts my coffee cup while I'm drinking from it. Kittyyyyyyyyy...
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 27, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8826648

I know, Right?!?! Come on Tweek!
Elsa is the "head-butter" - usually to my DH though. She just lays on my no matter where I am or what I am doing. She was covered in seeds a little while ago.

Thumbnail by minnesippi

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8826728

LOL! How cute! I can hear the purrs...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2011
3:15 AM

Post #8827439

51/73 Showers early, then partly cloudy for the afternoon. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Celia, oh yeah, I had that this morning and it was my first sip! Luckily, no spills!

Minnesippi, Elas is adorable! She resembles my Petey, who I think should have been a girl. If they aren't alpha, they shouldn't be a boy. They get beat up on too much :o(

Yesterday sure turned out nice. Even tho we had a half inch rain the plants sucked up most of it and I was able to walk in the flower beds. I weeded the South Peony and cut back plant stalks to save seed. It felt good to get back at it after getting one day off because of the rain.

Now we're getting a little rain and it's pretty foggy. Not pea soup, but it's in town.

Tonight, after school we pick up the boys, take them out to eat and let them pick out their birthday presents.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 28, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8827582

our weather is about the same billly.

No kitties yet...good grief. She gets mad when you pick her up so she must be getting closer. I made her a "nest" in my closet. She has been pacing and looking for somewhere to nest. Now she has 3 places to go when she is ready.

Dr today. DH says I should get a "peanut butter shot" (B vitamins mostly). Get to tell Dr my headache meds are doing nothing. I've had a headache every day since I started them. mostly just a dull ache, but every day none the less. He told me to keep a calendar of them. I quit keeping track after 3 days and decided I would track the days I didnt have one.

Billy - have fun with the boys tonight.

Steph

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8827772

I think if she's pacing, she's getting very close. Can't wait!

80 today. Sunny and beautiful.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 28, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8827791

Been busy but see everyone seems to be having nice weather. Still getting up to 90 here and rain every day...lots of it. However seems that is passing and a cold front coming down. I felt it this morning out on my bike ride, the air is drier. This weekend nights will dip into the mid sixties and only up in the low 80's and lower humidity...and NO rain...yeah.

Can't wait to see the kitten pictures and hope you are feeling better minnesippi. I felt a bit yucko the past few days, my grandson was here over the weekend coughing his head off and I think I caught a little bit from him. But I kick things fast and feel back to normal today. Take you vitamins and drink tons of water.

The garden looks wonderful from all the rain. Lots of butterflies.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8828242

Getting warm today! It is 84 right now! - http://www.weather.com/weather/today/64054:4:US and NO rain! We need rain, not as bad as some places but we are over 2/3 below average on it for the month of Sept.
I'd like my newly planted plants to at least get a rain soaking before the cold weather comes! At least it's beautiful outside, it'd be perfect if it wasn't for the lack of rain.

Is that a variegated Vinca Minor in the hanging basket, sunkissed? I bought a little one for $2.98 that I think is dead or dying, I was hoping it'd make a big, luscious hanging plant someday, but I think this one may not be going that way. Actually, I think it's The Home Depot's fault, it looks like they just stuffed it in a tiny pot, I'm returning it after it turns brown and crispy. It looks almost like they just planted a few branches and put a price tag on it! In the meantime, I'll keep caring for it, in case it's gonna rebound.

Eeek! A pregnant cat! That reminds of my friend here, she took in a portly little cat about 8 years ago, turned out it was pregnant! We like cats here though, there is 7 here. That cat's 2 offspring are here, Grubworm is the Mother, Stuart (as in Stuart Little..lol) and Rudy are the offspring. We're not gender specific on naming cats, those are all females!
Will

This message was edited Sep 28, 2011 5:41 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 28, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8828401

82 was the high today.
Tomorrow, 60 with 40MPH NW wind! Yeah!!

Average high temp will go from 70 this past Sunday to 65 this Saturday. Ugh, must be fall!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8828437

Highs have been in the low 70s for the most part til today. As Will said it got into the 80s today. A bit warmer than I like for this time of year but I got alot done today!!

I've been without internet since Sunday. Just got it back this afternoon. Not sure what was wrong but hope it's fixed til the next time something goes wrong. lol. Yeah, it goes bad on me all the time.

I took advantage of the nice day and got 2 mums planted. One is a white with a hint of pink and the other a copper color. I also planted 5 Hyanciths- City of Haarlem, 8 Black Hero tulips, 8 World Expression tulips, and 4 Ice King Daffodils. Then I took all the plants that I want to overwinter in pots and planted them pots and all in a bare spot of the garden. There's only one plant not going in the ground and I think I will just leave it where it's at instead of putting it next to the house. It's my Japaneese Willow bush. Second year trying to grow it in a pot. lol

Toothache plants. Very hardy here.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8828492

Hi everyone! So glad to see you here!!!

Elsa looks just like our Dusty, only he is a male. Stephanie hope you are feeling better.
Kittens yet?

It is still hot here. Still recooperating from the a/c being out over the weekend.
Fri we are going to take youngest granddaughter out for her birthday...It's not til next week, but it will be on a schoolnight and she generally has a lot of homework. She will be a Teenager!

We are ok. It is supposed to start to cool down. Yeah!
Jeanne
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 28, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8828569

No kittens yet...im ready to give her a nice big squeeze! ;)
Elsa just came in from outside...she is looking at my lap already. Need to find Tweekers and get her in for the night.

Wind advisory tomorrow. high 60's it sounds like. BEAUTIFUL today! wish I could have spent more of it outside.

Rec'd

There she is. Still prego (which is good being she's been outside for a few hours)

Rec'd many ginger in the mail today from Richard. Got them all potted and now I wait. 12 different gingers I think. And I got 4 in the mail the other day as well. 17 more iris and a few other things too. I will be busy this weekend. Good thing DH has drill. Means I can get in the yard all day. :)

Well, have a good night ya'll. CSI is on :) not that Im that fond of Ted Danson, but its CSI.

Thumbnail by minnesippi

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2011

Post #8828813

49/73 Partly cloudy and windy. Winds WNW at 25 to 35 mph. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.

Minnesippi, I had to puzzle over what I typed. I somehow keep typing the wrong letter first, or else it's this keyboard. I've had trouble with it keeping up, and I do not type fast. In fact. I type as bad as ever and I've been typing here since 2006, LOL! Anyway, E.l.s.a :o) is adorable!

I love making kitty nests. They are picky tho, aren't they. They don't want you to see.

I sure hope you find a reason for them. Have you always had headaches growing up or did they start coming on later? Have they done blood work to see if you need the vitamins or is the Dr. fishing? I think something in your every day life is the culprit. I would guess that they've done allergy tests.

We did have a good time. They got so excited over the aisles of toys and only picked out a few from $50.00 to $95.00, LOL! They settled on a $15.00 toy. Then we went over and played with a WII. They want one and may get one for Christmas.

Sunkissed, that is just about perfect weather. Just right for sleeping at night :o)

Wow, what a beautiful garden! You seem to have a nice private backdrop of greenery.

Hey Will, good to see you here :o)

It does sound like the roots rotted off the vinca, doesn't it?

Smiling over the homeless mother :o)

Bernie, Fall is on it's way and I agree, UGH!

Pepper, is the internet problem, wires that need upgraded? Our phone co just bought ours and told DH they had aging wires and no intention to upgrade. Wireless will be the new thing. Our computers were supposed to be wireless but Dell dropped the ball and sent them out without the cards, and DH didn't want to mess with putting any in, so he wired us.

Awesome, you really got a lot done! To me planting bulbs is a big deal since they need to go deep.

I like the toothache plant but never tried it here. It's neat!

Jeanne, no AC. That isn't good!

A teenager and getting a night out to eat. Aewsome! Happy Birthday to her!

Minnesippi, ROTFL!!! I'll bet everyone would be suprised if that happened!

Oh yeah, wind here too! That means I will not be out digging today unless I have a hat on.

Yes, I'm glad she's still preggers too. You would never find them outside.

Wow, that's a lot of plants to look forward to! Will all the gingers go in a plant room in the house?

Love CSI, not fond ot TD either. I like Gary Sinise! :o)

Well, it's not a cat, but have you ever seen a red squirrel with a white tip to it's tail? I first saw it a block down from me. Now it's in my neighbor's yard. The other place is her sister's house. What do you suppose they're feeding it? LOL!

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2011
3:56 AM

Post #8828814

Yesterday as we crossed the bridge out of town we saw this little fox.

Thumbnail by billyporter

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 29, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8828928

Love the squirrel. We had a black one for a few years. Havent seen him since last winter though. I like squirrels, except when they eat my bulbs :(

Headaches for 20+ years. They have been fishing that long too. Allergy testing, food elimination, chiropractor, acupuncture, massage, you name it, I've done it. Reviewed my meds the neurologist tried me on - 12 of them. Upped my current dose and eliminated another med to see if that is the culprit.

Wind advisory today. Work today. And another headache today. Sinus though. Feeling better than I did, but still sick. Productive cough at least. Havent had to take any cold medicine since yesterday morning so I must be getting better. Which is good, I have a lot to do this weekend in addition to the planting.
Gutter cleaning again so I dont have oak trees growing in the gutters - leaf removal (yes, I will lay on the roof for a bit too so I can stretch out), more laundry, vacuum, hopefully help deliver kittens, strip the beds, clean the bathrooms, rake and mow the yard, finish the mulching, dig some plants for trades and thinning, burning brush and leaves (shhh...dont tell the city) and take care of the kids. Gingers are in pots and will find their way in the basement in the window sill probably. I dont have enough room for 12 pots in the kitchen without having them join us for dinner every night.

Glad the boys had fun and found something they wanted. Its always hard to pick out gifts. The Wii is very fun! We've had one for years now and someone is always playing. I recommend buying via a video game store vs Wal-mart/Target if you can. You can buy used with a guarantee and not spend nearly as much.

Hope the new teenager enjoyed her dinner. My daughter will be 12 in January. Asked me this morning if she could wear mascara...um...NO! "Why not?" Well dear, you are 11. Enough said. Middle school. On the other had she was invited to take the SAT's in November. She's a Fart Smucker as a friend of mine says. :)

Well, reluctantly, I have some work to do. I will check in later though because even with everything I have right now in my inbox, I will be done before 10 with nothing else to do the rest of the day :(
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 29, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8828963

Wow, was I WAY off...8:35 and I am already done with my work for the day. How sad is that? Think I can find an "online" job to fill my time at work? It is so hard to sit here for 7 hours a day and do "nothing".
I did get my seed (have's) list updated last week - what do I do this week? Too bad I can't bring my garden/yard/roof to work...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8829053

I think you have a Fox Squirrel, Sally. Neat!

Oh, that sucks. I'm sorry, Minnesippi. What sort of work do you do? We always get our games at gaming stores. Waaaaay better deals.

54 with 68 humidty, clear, beautiful. Headed for 80.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2011 7:41 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 29, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8829170

I work for a concrete mold company in WI. They make the steel molds that make the concrete patio pavers and blocks.
I am updating my have's list again from all the stuff I got this week. :) was able to convert 5 items from my wants to my haves :)

Alpinia 'Chinese Beauty'
Alpinia 'Henryi'
Alpinia Nutans 'Narrow Leaf'
Dichorisandra thyrsiflora 'Blue Ginger'
Hedychium 'Anne Bishop'
Hedychium 'Disney'
Hedychium Coronarium 'White Butterfly'
Hedychium 'Daniel Weeks' Yellow, has longest blooming season.
Hedychium 'Gold Flame'
Costus Barbatus
LOLLIPOP LILIES
ELODIE DOUBLE ASIATIC LILY
TOWERING PRISM TULIP
Garlic Chives
Pink Perennial Geraniums
Lupine seeds
Iris 'Dauntless' (x15)

Like I said, lots of work this weekend.

VERY windy here - advisory until tonight

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8829320

It's a high of 79 here and a low of 47, and DRY. - http://www.weather.com/weather/today/64054:4:US

Thanks Sally, it's good to be here!

Yeah, I looked at that Vinca again today, boy does it ever look bad. I dug up the receipt, I have a long time (90 days) to wait until it turns brown and crispy.

I guess they just wanted to get it sold fast! Well, they'll get it back. They are probably more encouraged to do that kind of negligent things to plants there (and the whole wholesale nursery chain leading up to the retail store) because of the 1 year warranty. Before I have Home Depot employees sending me hate mail, let me explain! With the 1 year warranty you only get "store credit", they have you're money anyway. But, if you go back within the regular 90 days of the return policy (with a receipt) and get you're money back, they aren't so giddy, they can just give you a dirty, suspicious look and be nasty at the customer service counter. Okay, that was my own experience, the customer service lady says, "uh, where's the roots?" That would normally be a fair question. Oh, you could cut the suspicion with a knife! But, I told her, "I swear, they withered away". She gave my money back and didn't say thanks or anything, but there was nothing she could do. It was a tiny plant and all that was left was like a tiny little ball of dirt where the plant used to be. It was only a $6 plant, but you'd think I robbed them!
Ack! CSI?! That show is like Law and Order, if you watch 5 minutes of it, thats it, you have to watch it all!

That is the Mother, Grubworm, she is a funny cat, she gets in everything! She's no trouble, she just likes to get in visitors purses and everything. When the man was here installing the hi-speed internet she got in his toolbox and laid down twice! Here she is in a box with Bucky looking on, he likes to lay in sacks and stuff too, we brought him in from outside earlier this year. The first photo I have of him is outside the storm door in February with snow in the background, I tried to get him in then but he ran off. I finally got him in in April or May.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 29, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8829357

Bucky looks like my mom's cat Tika. She had a thyroid problem and has since passed - but she was a peculiar cat. Cute, cute, cute! I love cats.

Wonder if I have more at home today...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8829415

Wow, Minnesippi. I was going to say 'Interesting work,' but it's probably isn't from your point of view. LOL

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 29, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8829461

I essentially do data entry and customer service. It was fun when I first started, but there is not enough to do anymore...and this is their busy season...I just went full time - think maybe I can go 1/4 time and still have free time on my hands. But I am blessed enough to have a job, so I try not to complain too much. :)

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8829599

@shortleaf, that hanging basked is a Baby Sun rose - Variegata Aptenia cordifolia, I have both variegated and solid green, they are very hardy and can take freezing temperature for a short time, almost impossible to kill here, they can get too scraggly if too much rain. They are pretty drought tolerant and the reason why they are in hanging baskets. I can root them very easily, if a branch breaks off and falls to the ground which the squirrels digging in them do often, they just continue to grow right where they land.

@ pepper, isn't amazing when you have no Internet how much work you can get done? :)

texas gal I'm sure you are ready for a cool down...just like we are here in FL.

Billy, thanks for the compliment on my garden, it is totally private and we like it that way. My Podocarpus hedge is about twenty foot high, no one can see over it...ever. And it is evergreen. I see red squirrels in some place here in FL, they do call them Fox Squirrels. I only have gray here in my yard. That is cool getting a pic of a fox.

minnesippi, sorry to hear you are still experiencing headaches...I can't even imagine how hard that must be to live with. I know exactly about acorns in the gutters, it is starting here now and we will get little oaks growing in them if we don't keep them cleaned out.

Shortleaf, you kitties are pretty, my husband and I had Siamese when we were first married, someone stole one of them while we were at work and the other got real sick and had to be put down...they were cool cats.

Well back to weather...looks like everyone warmed up for a bit, but going to cool down again. Still got up to 92 here today, Had another good thunderstorm last night. We were grilling some chicken and had to finish it under an umbrella...lightning all around us...yikes! But no rain tonight..well so far, looks like a couple thunder showers to the east but they seem to be heading out to sea. We are grilling pizzas in a little bit so hope we don't repeat last night.

Well since everyone is posting kitty pic's Here are our newest little girl (Isabelle "Izzy")...my son found her on the college campus last November, she was about five weeks old. We have two older cats also that are a bit over four years old. We keep them all indoors, but we have a 400 sq. ft. porch they love...they can watch me in the garden. She is in on the porch in this pic watching me outside.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8829896

Windy with temps in the 70s. Should be cooler tomorrow if I remember right.

I usually only get on the internet later at night so it doesn't affect my daytime stuff. But it was torture at night not having it because I couldn't DO anything!! LOL. And it's always 4 days or longer before I can get it fixed it seems like. I don't think it's the wires because I've only had high speed for a year and my maintence man has been out here too many times to count. This time he installed a spitter in the box so the DSL only goes to my jack and no other. We'll see how long I can go without losing internet. I hate the fact it freezes up on me all the time too.

The toothache plant is cool looking. I recommend growing it. Makes a neat groundcover almost.

Zinna and salvia

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8830182

52/65 Sunny. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph.

Minnesippi, that's a long time to have headaches. I figured you've tried just about everything there is to try.

Reading your list of chores reminds me when I would make a list and actually cross things off as they got done. I really should do that again. Trouble is, a retired husband with the Tv on when I need to vacuum. Good thing is. He will vacuum :o)

Good advice on the games.

At least she asked about the mascara. Tell her not everyone looks good in it. I sure didn't. I didn't like all the stretching and rubbing on my eyes getting the stuff off either.

Awesome on her being smart!!! It's nice to have a job, but to be done, with nothing else to do? Sadly for someone else, but it looks like you could do one or two more people's jobs.

Celia, really?

Beautiful! I lost my red Helenium this year. I didn't notice it drying up :o(

Minnesippi, are some of the top listings houseplants? I kind of recognize the names.

Will, I'd go ahead and return it. Get something else before they put the plants away, or get your refund. I feel lucky. We have good customer relations in all the stores around here.

Yeah, I tape all the CSI and watch Law and Order if it's on when I sit down.

They are Beautiful! I love it when a cat gets into those kinds of things. It's so funny! Then you have to get the feather toy and tease them.

Minnesippi, ROTFL over the kitten pondering!

I thought it sounded fun too. Especially if you got to see the pavers that were produced. It's a shame you can't bring in your own paperwork so it looks like you're busy. For me it would be updating the plant journal I keep.

Sunkissed, I actually had to go back to find the hanging basket, LOL! MY eye was immediatly drawn down the path to the chairs, LOL! That's where I sat and contemplated the greenery! Love the tree too!

You have the privacy I want, but I also like the open look. I am lucky. My neighbors are gone all the time and that is my privacy.

Oh, so sorry about the theft and passing of your Siamese.

I have yet to do a pizza on the grill but BIL says they are delicious!

Ohhhh, to go back to when Zoe was 5 weeks! That's how old mine were when I sneaked them home. She is gorgeous! What a neat porch!!

Pepper, I too wonder what's wrong with your internet. Our old Gateway used to freeze up on dial-up. We would have to do a hard shut-down and start all over again. But at least we got back on.

Oooh, love that color combo! Awesome Zinnia!!

Boy, was it windy yesterday!! I rode my bike down to my Brother's and when I got back DH was mowing. I finished mowing and he continued to pick up 8 buckets of walnuts. The wind picked up more when I was done mowing so I puttered outside till I saw all the dirt picking up from across the road. It was time to come in.

The alley Walnut was just about shaken empty. It was a ''full'' year for it and an ''empty'' year for the other four on, and next to, our property. It's a shame they aren't very good nuts.

It's going to turn cold, so we're getting the Grandkids tonight.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 30, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8830282

40/60 or so. Sunny - not as windy. Warmer as the weekend progresses. Dry until next weekend.

STILL no kittens...I hear the Jeopardy theme song in my head as I wait for these little buggers.

I make lists all the time - usually get everything done until I get side tracked on something else. Go to put something away in a closet and end up cleaning out the closet - messes with my "schedule". I have OCD like that though. I thank my mother for that ;)

I appreciate that she asks about make-up and doesn't pull a "me", grab one of mine and put it on at school. I was bad for that in jr high (but not in 6th grade).

We dont get to see any of the pavers produced. We only produce the steel molds. I went to a trade show last spring and saw some pretty cool pavers though. The sales guys sent me this one after the show. I put it in my walkway last weekend. He was sitting at my front door and was my greeter for a while.
I have a tendency to do the job of 4-5 people...I had "12 hats" at one point when I was working in a warehouse down in MS. Office manager, security supervisor, HR (from interviewing/hiring to benefits to employee relations), purchasing, returns supervisor, IT supervisor, temp labor contact, trainer, safety coordinator, vendor contact and I dont remember what else. 80+ hours a week but I loved the job. Now I am punched in for 40 hours a week and have a total of 4 hours of work to do a week if I am lucky. I make work to do on a daily basis. I h8 being bored and idle. I sit here and think of all the things I could be doing other places and it frustrates me to no end. But I am employed.

Here kitty kitty kitty...COME OUT AND PLAY ALREADY!!! Tweek was nesting in my closet this morning. May or may not mean something. At this point who knows.

After all the wind yesterday, raking has been added to my list of things to do this weekend...good thing I have 2 kids, they have friends and we have 6 rakes :) LOL!

Thumbnail by minnesippi

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 30, 2011

Post #8830311

Found this. Laughed!

Thumbnail by minnesippi

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 30, 2011

Post #8830312

And my new motto ;)

(sure, the copywrite is in the way. "I'm too pretty to work")

This message was edited Sep 30, 2011 8:16 AM

Thumbnail by minnesippi

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8830645

Minnesippi, I'm now hearing it too! Oh well, all in good time.

Smiling, I hear ya on the sidetracking! But, usually it's something that needs done anyway and was more fun at the time :o)

Wow, that is a cool paver! I was expecting the usual shapes to outline a bed, LOL!

It's a shame they don't take advantage of your experience and ability to do so many things. That's an awesome resume you could hand in!

CRACKING UP!! That's a good one!

I like that one too!

It's sunny but windy again. We came home from groceries and picked up 7 buckets of walnuts just from the neighbor's yard. I lost count of how many in the alley and our own, but I think over 8. Then a few from the front yard and a few sticks and little limbs were down.
It's 67*, but not bad out. I should go out and do something. There won't be many fof these days left.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 30, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8830666

Which is why I sit here @ work so FRUSTRATED! There are SO many things I could be doing at home. It is beautiful outside here too.
Doot-dee-doo...twiddling my thumbs, playing FB games, researching plants and looking up unidentified bugs for folks here. I did good last week. Identified 23 different bugs I think and 5 or 6 plants. I was quite proud of myself :) Expanding my horizons I guess.

I have a nice resume already...guess I can add plant & bug research to it now ;)

Cant believe tomorrow is October...where oh where did the year go?

Time to go see if I can jet early before I go postal sitting here...gonna help BIL & SIL move tonight. Get an early start, get home early. That would work better. DH has drill again this weekend so its an early night anyway.

Thumbnail by minnesippi

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8830983

Nice with temps in the low 70s today. Chances of frost tonight north of me.

Thumbnail by pepper23

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 30, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8831227

first kitten arrived about 1030 tonight. Second arrived just after 11:15. 2nd one has 6 toes on each front foot :) number 3 will be here shortly...so far the two are gray with white striping - very cute. Will get pics when everyone is cleaned up :)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2011
3:26 AM

Post #8831319

40/62 Plentiful sunshine. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph

Minnesippi, it's great that you can use the computer for personal things. Look at all you did accomplish. It just wasn't at home :o(

I like helping people move.

Awesome picture of a very handsome soldier!

Pepper, the frost must be farther North than me too. I didn't get it :o)

Love the Canna!

My Granddaughter fell asleep when I was holding her last night. I asked DD if she was just comfortable, or asleep. Asleep. It was an awww moment, but we had to leave and I had to lay her down :o(

Our 38* turned into 40*. I'm glad. I have apples and peaches on the porch and need to work with them. I also have the rest of the red tomatoes and a bowl of green out there.

I ordered books for my house from one Grandchild and they came, so we came home and read 19 books. I'll order from the other Grandson when he gets one. I love Schoolastic books!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 1, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8831332

October Thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223289/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America