Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Central Midwest Gardening: September 2011-Hopefully cooler!!

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 161, Views: 1,067
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8789420

New thread for September!!

Hosta bloom

Thumbnail by pepper23
Click the image for an enlarged view.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8789432

Anyone going to santa-cali-gon?

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8789444

I wish!! I have to work all weekend. Inventory. Ugh!! I wanted to see Marty Stuart!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8789456

Yuck our last long weekend, that is too bad pepper.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8789571

Dang, I can't remember when it's been 100 in Sept. before, tomorrow they are forecasting 103!

SantaCaliGon? Not me. All the people one ever knew goes to that. I don't really want to run into people that I used to know!
Actually, SantaCaliGon is a neat event for no admission. They say some 300,000 people go to that over the weekend.

Anybody want to see my new bird bath? It's not set up yet, it's too big for one person, without marring it all up, trying to do it myself anyway. Not to mention I don't want to blow out my back or get a hernia! I'll wait for the right time to ask my neighbor to help, it'd be a simple task for 2 people.

You got the GT Worx, Crit? Somebody is a tv shopper! I want that too, it looks so cool and does so much stuff! I have a weed trimmer similar to that, but it's a Black and Decker model. It only has a 10"
swath, I wanted the cordless one with a 12" swath, but when I got to Home Depot, that one was sold out. The 10" works good, I just have to go slow.

You know Crit, now you need ANOTHER opinion on the 50% chance that you were given, how can a doctor know that? I remember back in 08', I had several fingers that had numb areas. I never knew why, I just guessed that it was from this new, strenuous manual labor that I just started doing at the time, but I didn't have insurance, so I just waited it out and it went away after a couple of months. But, an injury like your's might be different.

That's a good Hosta bloom, Pepper. I like a good Hosta flower too. I think it means the Hosta is okay with where it's at myself.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2011

Post #8789572

How about these Peaches?! From my Semi-Dwarf 'Red Haven' Lowes $19.50 Peach tree that I bought last October.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2011

Post #8789573

How about this box that I got from the neighbor for weed block?! It's from a 40 gallon water heater!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8789574

Here is my shade garden coming along. Today, I put that tin border there. I plan on having 5 or 6 Hostas in there, some Ferns, Ligularias, Coral Bells and Lily-of-the-Valley. That wall in the back is going to get a new coat of White paint soon.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2011 10:42 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8789575

Oh, do you miss the pots and all, happ!? hehe!

This message was edited Sep 1, 2011 10:42 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8790504

Will, I posted this morning and it must not of taken, I put plants out by the newspaper along the fence this morning. Just a little baggie with some water garden starts in it...well hope you found it. They have been in the shade so you will need to get them ready for the sun, unless they burnt up today...wonder where my post went!

We went up on the square but started early and left by 2:30 I thought towards the end we would suffocate in the tents with the people...wowzer. Seemed like alot more strollers, problem with strollers in those tents is if they are behind you the person driving constantly runs into the back of your heels, I usually let them go around me for self preservation. Ate alot of junk...rofl, and bought some stuff for my newphews baby that is due any day, and just had fun.

Let me know if you got the plants...
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8790608

Eeek! I'll go get them now! I was wondering why the police car was braking and rubbernecking on something! I've done that before too, write up a post and then discover later it never posted, I hate that!
Thanks, Will
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8790661

Yeah, the weekend sucks but I do have Monday off so that makes up for something. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8790742

Hehe.. No, they hadn't burnt up, they were fine, still soaked in water. It looked like 2 were Papyrus and the other one I'm not sure, maybe a Rush or Bamboo of some kind? Are they hardy? I know you said the Papyrus wasn't. I can bring it in, no problem. I just told my housemate about the new additions, she was thrilled, I showed her the photo on the computer. I saw some Papyrus at Heartland Nursery a couple of weeks ago and they were like 6 feet tall! I was thinking, "they just look expensive", they were beautiful! We both thank you! They are the 2 closest pots in the photo, behind them is the Water Iris you gave me, it is thriving. About a month ago, I put one of the Water Irises in the water and left the other one on the ground and it wasn't doing nearly as well as the one in the water, so yesterday I put it in the water too.

I saw a Mole yesterday. I was working on the West side of the house, where my planned tropical spot is going to be and there it was under a trash can that I moved during the project. It quickly burrowed under the ground when I exposed it. I knew there was one there somewhere because I saw the loose dirt piles nearby. I hope it isn't a Vole and eating up my plants! Its kinda funny that's it's in there because it is pavement all around.

I ate one of my new Lowes Peaches today and boy was it ever tasty! It couldn't have been any better from the store, altho, at the store they're a little bigger. I found out those black spots on the Peaches are on the surface, I cut them off with a knife. Next year tho, I still want to spray the tree with some kind of fruit spray.
Will

This message was edited Sep 2, 2011 8:08 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8791248

Crit, I envy your deck. I sure would like a nice large one. I love the rocks with the beautiful pots of flowers!

Wow, I can see it! One year my neighbor planted the large blooming moss rose and I dug a few up. They did reseed, but unfortunately, they grow so late in the Spring that I hoe up the spot or they get pulled with the weeds. I need to just plant in pots or one special place.

The pool ain't too shabby either :o)

Will, it sure doen't hurt the wires to have paint on them and looks so much better.

Love the median Cannas!

Oh, dirt is so expensive! I am glad we raked and saved all we could. Half of it is gone already :o(

At least your friend's Mom yells at everyone, and if they can hear her over the baby moniter, they also know you are always kind and polite to her and respond immediatly to her calls even tho you know what will happen.

Birder, I'll betr the cookies were delicios! It's a good way to eat oatmeal too :o)

Will, that is honestly, the prettiest Willow I have ever seen! I love the multi trunks!

That's an amazing transformation and it sure is a beautiful tree now!

Oh Crit!! I hope your finger is going to be alright!! Leaving you sit in pain is outrageous!! What an oxymoron "Emergency Room" is!!!

Pepper, it wasn't 98*, but the heat wiped me out too. Luckily I got to work inside.

Birder, that's the only problem with Preen. Maybe just the cardboard will slow the weeds down.

The deck is beautiful and worth the effort! I sure love large decks, sigh :o)

Will, Mini Penny does look like a nice bush! Tropicana lokks great!

I think the black spots are just something fruit gets. It's not a rotten spot, but just a hard black spot. The peaches look awesome!!

I just looked in my ''Ortho Home Gardener's OProblem Solver'' and the black spotisn't even mentioned. It may be a bug that never maade it all the way in. Let us know what you find.

Crit, I sure hope your hand will be OK!

Oh Will, what a great memory of your Dad! It's going to look awesome when you get it all set up! That little trailor is paying for itself :o)

Happ, you're really getting into this speaking session! It sounds like you just whipped it all into shape and it all went smoothly. Congratualtions!!

Laughing, wow, you really did a great job! Tagging is so important!

Big help from the flowers and DH! That's great! I'm so glad it all went well and I'll bet your gardens look fantastic!

Will, I'm just about as blithering in person, and add boring, LOL!

I like that saying :o) "If you can't learn from others, you'll live life not knowing much!"! How true!

I can't tell if it's lobelia or not, but I'd say most likely.

Happ, it's awesome and a sign of success when they ask questions. I think you did great!

Pepper, your Dad cracks me up!!! He knows these things are going to get planted somewhere. He might as well give in now :o)

Happ, Witch Hazel at the end of the driveway would be perfect!

Bernie, cool that you were such a skier! I've never been.

Happ, ''and truely thought that trip might kills us,'' I hear you!!

Birder, thank goodness second opinions were there for everyone. They won't do surgery withut a second opinion here, but then they send you to their buddy who looks you over and says okey dokey. I think a person has a little insight about their own body and can decide if they feel surgery is s ''do it now'' thing.

Happ, for being a prairie plant, my Coneflowers could have done with some rain too :o(

I have Turtlehead and LOVE it! Also, the Helianthus is hanging on, the Phlox has been wondeful, Balloon Flowers are doing well and the Cardinal Flowers are blooming their heads off!

My neighbor gave me a small Caryopteris bush, ''Black Knight'' and I love it! It has been open for a week or so and the bees are all over it. The sedums are pinking up too.

Yet to come, asters.

Pepper, no place in the far end of your property for the Magnolia?

Will, the cardinal Plant will make a rosette to get it thru the winter and during the simmer it disappears as the stalk blooms. I think you got lucky.

Oh Happ, cracking up over DH and the AC!!

After all the excitement of this month, I am drained too. I think using your brain wears you out as much as physical work.

Birder, I don't know why they don't get smart and make tools for women. We use them just as much!

Pepper, I love Silenes! That's beautiful!

Crit, it sounds like surgery is the better option. At least you are fresh into the injury and will heal up right since you still need to heal anyway. Nerves do grow back sooo slow. I sure am sorry it happened.

Ok, I've got to skip to the end and will read the new thread later. at least I've caught up. I missed you guys!

After all the driveway work, I had two weeks to pack a whole house for my elderly relative. At the last minute she was able to get a larger room, totally unexpected. That meant more furniture could go. So, I moved a mountain and now I moved a house. Boy I'm good! We got the last of her things put away yesterday. I did all that. I got down to one large tub of unboxed knick-knacks and quietly closed the lid and said another day. It was already 4:00 pm and I had barely been home at all.

Have a great day! It's good to be back!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8791339

Will there are two types of different plants in that pot, one is the Cyperus papyrus / Egyptian Papyrus
with the more fuzzy top and will get really tall, the other is a dwarf umbrella plant and gets 1/2 as tall as the papryus (has the wider leaf), the other is rush that reminds you of bamboo and is the only one hardy. Caution I have read somewhere it is pretty agressive in the ground, mine is in a pot in the pond not on land. They had been in the paper towels forever, and I didn't look to see their roots. One go around I had them in my whiskey barrel pond and the dog took them out!

We missed you Billy, glad to see you are back. I really have to be careful when I am weeding because I have a bad habit of pulling up flower seedlings with out realizing it, or dumping mulch on top if they are too late to germinate.

Have a great weekend everyone...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8792025

I do the same thing with plants. They look like weeds so I pull them because I'm trying to stay ahead while I can since later on it will be too hot to weed then when fall hits you clean up but it's too late to keep the seeds out. lol.

Bp, glad you are back!! Been kinda quiet on here.

My old man Whiskers has decided he loves sitting in one of my pots now. Today I caught him in my coleus pot for the second time. Got pics on the camera and not the phone this time!! lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2011
9:36 PM

Post #8792172

Oh, cool! 3 plants eh?! Thanks, I'll get them separated soon, happ! When I do, I'd like to straighten that Rush way up.

Hi billyp, welcome back! You are blithering too billp?! Thanks, that little trailer has been real handy. When I was going up there Sunday with just the dolly (or 2 wheeler) strapped on, I was followed closely by a Kansas City police car for about a mile. I think she or he thought I had some unsafe trailering going on. From a distance, it prolly does look like that because the trailer sides only come up a couple inches. Anyway, they got real close, I guess to look at it, then he or she exited the freeway. It was well tied down..lol There have been several cases recently in the metro, even on the news, where a plate of metal or something will come off somebody's trailer and fatally injure another driver. My trailer even has expired license plates! I guess it was my lucky day! I have even heard that the police and the highway patrol is on the lookout for unsafe trailering. Thanks, my Dad would be proud of his birdbath. One bad thing about having a very small trailer, is it won't hold much mulch or anything! But, it's definitely better than having NO trailer!

Thanks billyp, that Weeping Willow is a stunner.

I asked if I could paint the wires and stuff White by the West wall, by the AC unit, and she (the homeowner) poo-pooed it, it's a good idea tho, I better stay with the roof over my head right now!

Thanks billyp, I think myself, those black spots on the Peaches aren't really anything to worry about, they just look nasty, I still want to do fruit spray I think.

Oh, I took the wireless baby monitor out of her room in April. She was saying some pretty outlandish stuff and it was best that the neighbors didn't hear anymore of it.

Speaking of Hospice, want to hear something funny?! The longtime aide here and myself kinda got this Hospice nurse in big trouble and deservedly so, she said, "somebody here is a hoarder".
A lot of stuff might be accumulated here, but she doesn't need to give her 2 cents about it to the disabled lady! The girl weighed like a buck 05 anyway, (105 lbs.), she couldn't do the physical nurse duties here!
She'd end up dropping my friend's Mom, going to the commode and break her hip or something, and you know she wouldn't say, "I dropped you're Mom, it's my fault!".

Oh you like that saying too billyp?! If it weren't for info. from other people, like books and the internet, (even news), I'd be in big trouble!

Nice photo of you're cat, Pepper! I've got one too from a while back, this cat was a stray.
Will

This message was edited Sep 3, 2011 11:46 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8792291

Thanks everyone. It seems I had time for Weather and mail and then had to be out the door. I hope I can catch up to the many other threads I had to pass by.

Grinning. I tend to leave ''weeds'' to see if I have a new plant, LOL!

Oh Pepper, awesome picture!! It's all beautiful, and he's just perfect in there. Definately calender material! Wow!

Will, you'll have to work on taller sides for your trailor so you have the option of hauling.

I don't mind them checking for safety. I feel lucky a semi never blew a tire on the interstate when we end up beside them.

Being a girl she doesn't think it's good for the wires. No biggie. Keep your roof :o)

Yes, get the spray./ It won't be long before the bugs do find your peaches and tunnel in. They sure look good this year!

Good, I wouldn't want the neighbors snooping and getting the wrong idea. She seems loud enough without it, LOL!

I think the nurse doesn't understand what a real hoarder is. I hoard too, and am defensive about my ''stuff.'' I weed it myself and still keep what I like, so I'm not a real hoarder. She's best gone!!

Another awesome kitty picture! That is sooo cute! Another calender moment!

Yesterday it rained, stopped, rained, stopped, etc. all day. We got 1 & 3/10''!!

We're chilly all week. Now maybe I can get some flowers moved.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8792498

Pepper, that is a wonderful picture, you need to enter that in something, it is just perfect. I am sure you would win a prize.

The rush will probably straighten up on it's own and start leaning to the sun, and if it doesn't once it starts growing you can cut it off, wonder how it got that that bad...humm...oh well it will heal thy self.

Lots of planting to since it has gotten cooler, gonna start moving tropicals in also.

Have a great day...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8793395

Thanks, he is a cutie pie! lol. Always willing to pose.

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8793512

Haha! Look at these little Marigolds trying to sprout up now!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2011

Post #8793513

How about this Tropicanna from Pepper, this thing is like 4 feet tall, isn't it cool!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2011

Post #8793514

That is a good pic, Pepper, better than mine! I've been trying to get a photo of this one cat here who stands on her hind legs to look at something, like once every 6 months she does that. She never does it long enuff for me to get a photo though!
I hope that Rush straightens up on it's own because I went to take it back out, so I tugged on it and it didn't want to come out, I guess it's ensconced! It doesn't look too bad, I just turned it around I think.
The Papyrus and the Umbrella plants got separated tho. Here is the latest photo of them. See how much smaller the Water Iris is on the right? That's the one that was out of water until a few days ago.
Yeah, if the neighbors did believe any of the stuff on the monitor that she was declaring back then, they oughta be ashamed of themselves! Poor lady, lately she's been calling out for her deceased parents and siblings. When my friend called Hospice to complain about that aide, they already knew about it, another aide had already told on her, a nice Hospice nurse that was also here that day.
We do hoard at times, but we can call ourselves hoarders..lol. There is a lot worse hoarding situations tho, I've seen them on tv. There's no trash in the hoarded piles of stuff here.
Oh yeah, I'll get better sides eventually. I'd like to make it good enuff to at least hold one big Bobcat bucket of mulch. I've got lots of mulch to get and soon!
Will

This message was edited Sep 4, 2011 10:17 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8793516

These Cleomes are really getting bold! I'm going in with Pepper to get another Rose plant for the other side of that arbor. It's called 'Penny Lane', it's going to be an apricot blend with yellows and oranges, well sorta, I'll link to the picture, it is pretty. - http://www.pickeringnurseries.com/web_store.cgi?cod=07pel

This message was edited Sep 4, 2011 10:16 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8793903

I read but have no time left to comment.

Excpet for Penny Lane. I considered her for my arbor before getting the honeysuckle, but I loved her. What a pretty rose!

Has anyone seen "Almost Famous" with Kate Husdson as Penny Lane? Love that movie!!

Hoping to dig in landscape blocks today. I have laundry to fold, dishes to put away, the house needs dusted AND vacumed and I'm getting sick of dirty windows!!

Aaaack!

There's not enough time to do all this plus more weeding and planting things sitting in pots. I need longer days and another day added to the week! (Running in crazy circles at this point :o)

Have a great day everyone!

Not dug in yet, but how they will be.

Thumbnail by billyporter

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8793935

It is plum cold this morning. About midnight I was hauling in a few tropicals, when I realized they were serious about us getting down to the 40's! One small Plumeria had already started dropping leaves!

I am with you Billy, I have a bunch to get planted and tagged. A pergola to build, along with a potting bench, not sure one extra day a week will help me...rofl.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2011

Post #8795098

I potted my plumie today. I need to pull it up some more so it's not touching the bottom of the pot. But it's such a long piece that if I do it might fall. lol. Oh well. Hope it puts out more roots now that it's in potting soil. I will bring it in when I bring in my hibiscus plants. That will happen when it stays cool and I get my plant area cleaned of junk. lol. Mostly papers and magazines that I need to go thru.

The good thing is my witch hazels are in the ground and my radishes and carrots planted today also. Just need to dig up the butterfly bushes for Crit and Will and pot the magnolia in a bigger pot and insulate it for winter. Need to insulate my dappled willow also for winter so that it lives. All in all I got alot done in a short amount of time. If I have time Friday I will get the butterfly bushes dug and mailed. That's the plan anyways!! lol
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8795114

Well Sept is cooler! We are going down even lower tonight. Pepper plumerias do not like cool weather or wet roots with cool weather. You might think about bringing it in for the night. This weather is so screwy! I brought in my plumerias, voodoo lily, and a couple of other things in already. Wish I had everything in, but...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8795209

Ok, I will bring it in here in a bit.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8795588

Happ, laughing, I know. There just needs to be no ''calendar'' weather! The pergola and bench are much more than I need to do!

Pepper, sometimes I think we do better when we're stressed for time. I have no doubt it will all get done. I too had to just get going and mail iris out to someone, but it's done.

I have over a week left of the same temps. Barely 70* all day, getting a bit warmer, and the mid 50's at night. It's been nice to work in since it rained, but it's also 10* below normal.

I got the rest of my potted plants in the ground and ended up burying the mint. Boy, I sure had to pick a deep pot. I dug over a foot deep to set it in. I also mowed so the yard looks pretty nice again.

I think I have enough tomato juice now so I put the canner away, vacuumed and mopped and got the laundry and dishes put away. I have neglected the house all summer.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8795718

I still have a million things to do, so every night I have a set a goal...hope I can stick with it.
1. Need to spray everything for bugs before I bring it in, hopefully tonight I can get that done if the wind isn't blowing so hard
Then everynight there after:
1. Bring in minimum 3 plants a night
2. Plant at least 3 plants a night
3. Water
Have to admit it doesn't sound like much but I don't get home until 6:30 and by about 8:15 it is getting pretty dark.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8796647

I have the same problem in a ways. I don't get home til after 5pm and by the time I eat dinner I'm exhausted and it's too late for me to get anything done outside because the stupid skeeters are out and eating me alive. I have everything that needs to be in a pot for winter in a pot so that is ready to go. Just need to get a good dose of tea or something to pour in soil to kill those bugs then spray them with dawn dish soap to kill other bugs. Then ee's and cannas will come in when frost gets them or gets close anyways.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8796714

Here is my proposed "tropical spot" coming along with 4 Banana 'Basjoo's bringing up the anchor! I plan to be going to get some cocoa or black mulch soon, maybe if I mulch good enuff, the Banana's will be okay with coming back next year. I'm not big on the dyed mulches but I think dark or black will be good for a tropical themed area. See the lava rocks leftover from the 70's landscaping?!
They say minimum 20 below zero for the 'Basjoo's but they're Banana's for Petes sake! I wonder if should lay down a piece of plastic over each one, so maybe they'll stay a little drier? I measured between them, so they shouldn't look all crooked and crazy! How about the lovely and big scallop seashell?!

All those cut branches in the foreground are from that gangly Rose-Of-Sharon that is much smaller than previous now! It's still there, it's a nice bush, it'll only be about 3 feet tall now. If you'd like me to try growing you one from a cutting, Crit, I can try that. I have lots of trimmings! lol

I like you're plan there, happ! I got 2 Banana plants planted today and quite a bit of other stuff accomplished. I am pretty fortunate with the time to do stuff, working part-time at home is good for time, but it doesn't do much for the wallet!

"Almost Famous"? Not me. I wonder if "Penny Lane" is an actual person or something? Eeek! A pergola AND a bench? That is some toiling there, happ!
I have to put on Off, I can't stand to have skeeters drawing out my blood!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8797172

Happ, the wind was our biggest problem this Spring. The fruit trees didn't get sprayed. But, they didn't end up with many apples either.

I totally understand no time. Even tho I'm home all day, I don't get it all done. I marvel and applaude you who work, and then try to work outside too. I don't know how you do everything you do do.

Will, I tried the black mulch this Spring and really like it.

I love the banana bed! I can't wait to see it filled in next Spring. It should do nicely!

It's funny how things float around till you find a place for it, but the lava will be perfect there!

Skeeters, that's what happens when you get rain. I haven't seen one all summer.

I finally have all day to stay hoime and don't know where to start. I did clean house a little, so that's to be ignored :o)

Have a good day everyone!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8797553

rofl, I barely got things watered last night...geehz, nothing else done. I think I have lost one succulant, it was all limp last night when I got home. dang. Got out of work late, felt sorry for a co-worker who was walking home and gave a ride, stopped by the store, and walla it was almost 8 before I got home. Days are sure getting shorter.

Oh Will, I think that tropical area will look really good, when you get done. Good start.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8798517

Thanks billyp and happ, I hope that area turns out how I plan. I want black mulch too, my friend prefers cocoa mulch because it smells like chocolate when it's wet she says, but I'm gonna campaign for black mulch!
Hehe! Thanks for the kudos on working people billyp, but I'm currently redefining "under-employed" at 7 hours a week myself! I'm grateful for what I have, believe you me! I have time to do stuff outside, now the motivation to do it isn't always in big supply! I pretty much choose to be under-employed, I like to be available here to help my friend take care of her elderly Mother here at home. Like today for example, I assisted in helping get the elderly lady to the hospital by way of ambulance, where she was diagnosed as having a bad bladder infection, she's back now, they are confident in getting it cleared up.

I did get all my houseplants and other tender houligans in one spot, they are all ready to be brought in, in less than a month or so. The Banana and those other plants by there in the old Grape flats were just in the photo, they are hardy tho. I intend to get the Banana, and those other plants from Pepper planted before the ground freezes. I like to get the non-hardies all together first, so I have less chance of forgetting any when the time comes.

Happ, just curious, what kind of succulent expired on you? It wasn't an Aloe Vera was it? Mine is still plugging along I think. If yours was an Aloe Vera that died then myself would count myself lucky! I also had an Asparagas Fern, a Sago Palm, a variegated Ficus, a variegated Spider Plant and a Snakeplant that were outside night before last, oh the risks I take! Altho, I'm quite a gambler, I'll wait until it gets down to 40 degrees or so before I take action with the non-hardy plants.

I sometimes come up with a use for some of the stuff I kick around. But, I never woulda guessed I'd find a use for lava rocks! They would look so good with black mulch, I must have black mulch I say! I'll tell her it's for my next birthday or something!

You're house looks kinda aged up there billyp, by chance is it a historical house? I want an old house when I get a house! That would be so cool to have a one hundred year old house or even older. Altho, I hear the restoration and upkeep can be WAY up there on an old home. A Victorian house or a pre Civil-War house would be just outstanding! Altho, I think a Victorian house or an antebellum one would financially be a challenge for me, altho, I can dream!
Will

This message was edited Sep 7, 2011 11:40 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2011
3:37 AM

Post #8798698

Will, the cocoa would be OK. When it, or it's smell fades, and it's used up, maybe she'll go for black. Try the black around something else first and see how she likes it.

I've never smelled the cocoa mulch. Maybe I'd like it too!

I think I've asked before, does her Mom ever have lucid moments or is she always unaware of her surroundings? I'm glad she will be better. That must have hurt.

ROTFL!! I hope you get your mulch!!

Laughing, that's the neighbor's house and it's fairly old.

Nice pile of plants!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8798866

Will you will have to come live up by me, there are a bunch of civil-war, antebellum houses, and several are for sale... ;) Most expensive was 199,000 but it is 4 bedrooms, just need to find some room mates. Most on main drag thru town have been restored, but a few on the side streets have not been so lucky yet.

I don't know the name of the succulant that didn't make it from the cold. It was an odd piece someone had sent me, it looks like the starts I had taken from it will be ok tho. Glad about that. We get colder up here than you do down there and then not being in the city I don't have all that concrete warmth, but always have alot of wind...so basically it is colder up here.

I did get something done last night, got 2 daylilies planted, a siberian iris sky wings planted, a kim lilac, engraved tags for them all, and got 2 trays of starts put in the garden room, oh yeah and watered all before 8:30!

Here is the 199,000 house, it has been completely restored and has a huge garage.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8798869

This is my favorite, I am so afraid someone will paint it a different color. It is perfect in pink and white not that I ever thought I would like a pink house. This is also the one I bought the old bird bath from, I do kind of feel bad about it, cause it had probably been there forever, but she probably would of sold it to someone else.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8798871

This one needs some work, altho they have been working on it for a long time and is the cheapest I think. Boy he really messed it up and painted the concrete steps bright red since this picture was taken, don't know what in the world he was thinking.

Thumbnail by happgarden

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8799598

You got some old homes up there by you eh happ? I'm not really a fan of old houses' small closets and uneven floors! Those are some good photos of old houses happ. Wow, the colors, they are a bit bold!
I guess eccentric types just want to do that. Maybe they are thinking, "it's my house and I'll do what I want!" My cousin here owned a home in the city's "Truman corridor", which is a fancy way of saying it's a few blocks or so from Harry Truman's old house. Anyway, they are real picky (the Independence Historical Commission I think it's called) about what kind of everything you can put on it, or do to it, like siding and windows for example. They were requiring that they replace the windows only with wood windows, which was very expensive.
I'm a pretty eccentric type, I think I'd be a good old home owner! I remember years ago, a neighbor guy painted his house lime green! I don't know if he did it as a prank to see if any neighbors were gonna pipe up or what, about 3 weeks later he painted it a normal color!

Yeah, she has some lucid times. Sometimes she'll say something like, "is that still there?", or something like telling how to do something, but yeah every now and then she'll be pretty lucid. It comes and goes would be a good way of saying it. I can only hope to make it to her age, she'll be 87 on St. Pat's Day. Yeah, she was in bad pain the day the ambulance came. Her daughter came running out of her room to use the phone and I said "what's the matter?" and she said her "Mom just threw up and it looked like blood". Thanks for the compliment on my houseplants, billyp!

How about this Witch Hazel, not bad for one of an $8 bundle of 25 from the Missouri seedling program last year. Speaking of which, I'd be glad to have an order from that mailed here as the MO. resident.
If you're still interested Crit, I'm the man!
Will

This message was edited Sep 9, 2011 12:00 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8799720

The witch hazel looks good Will!! Mine are finally planted in their spot. I hope they like it since it's more shade than sun. I need to get pics tomorrow.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8799867

Thanks Pepper. Here's a Witch Hazel that got planted today! It's still in the pot in the photo with the Banana, but it got planted about 7 feet from it, on the other side of that arbor in the photo. The first plant that I got planted today was a Banana 'basjoo' by the waterpond also. I'm curious if this Winter flowering on the Witch Hazel is as nice as they say! A Winter flowering plant just sounds neat! I'm gonna have about 16 Witch Hazels in total in the backyard. It's going to be a Winter flowering festival someday! You know, I just learned something on DG recently, if you click a photo in the same thread as you're typing a post in, if you've already attached a photo, you have to do it again because it unattaches itself by that, for some reason, (but, you don't lose the text you've typed, odd). Now I know why all those times that I thought that I forgot to upload the photo, actually, it automatically got unattached or is it detached? Either way it got cut loose!
Will

This message was edited Sep 8, 2011 11:59 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8799868

Here is that Witch Hazel after I planted it. See the Grubworm that I uprooted? It duly got cut by the shovel! And I named a cat after that beast!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8799875

They call those houses painted ladies, when they are painted boldly. Those line the main street going into Plattsburg, course there are many many more. I think those houses close to Harry's house are beautiful and I am sure the historical commission is a pain, but at least when you buy them they are suppose to make you aware of the fact, keeps the neighborhood around there beautiful, I remember at one point it was looking horrible.

I planted some more things, daylilies, iris, and something else. Had a hardy hibiscus and I let it go without water, don't know how I missed it, but I hope it recovers, it was crunchy, need to get it planted. I think I am going to put the witch hazel by the drive so I see it in the early spring. Just have to figure out where DH will not mow it down when he is mowing, moving snow, or just driving...rofl.

My roses are just going crazy...which is odd, I didn't have the rain you guys got last weekend and things are really really dry up here.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8799879

Nice pictures, be sure and mulch that banana pretty good, at least that is what I read somewhere.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8799918

Yeah, the bananas will need a heavy mulch. At PG they even made wire cages about 3 ft tall and filled them with straw or something to help overwinter them. Just make sure to use something that will drain easily. Regular mulch and leaves will hold moisture. You don't really want that because they are fibirous and will rot. So straw or something else that is loose but warm will work.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8799993

Oh, I'm gonna mulch alright! Today, I got 3 year license plates for my big trailer, (that green one). I can get 4 buckets of mulch in it from the big Bobcat that they do mulch in! I think I'm going to get 3 or maybe 4 loads in the trailer, I have alot of mulch to get. They did all that at PG even for 'Basjoo's? The label says -20. I hope they make it thru the Winter, I had to buy them from a nursery that doesn't do the 1 year guarantee on plants for the sale price. It was funny how they did that, I've never seen pricing like that, they had 2 prices, one for real cheap and a high price "with a 2 year warranty", that price was considerably higher.
I'd like to come up with some kind of plastic sheeting cut to fit around the 'Basjoo' trunks, to help keep the roots dry this Winter. I am willing to make a chicken-wire or some kinda wire wrap to fill full of leaves or something if I should.

Painted ladies eh!? Pink and red is some bold exterior paint! I wonder if the owners are maybe thinking something like, "I know that people are looking, I'm gonna paint it nuts!"!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8800213

Happ, doing all that is an accomplishment!! I had Sky Wings and lost it. I am now needing to divide the others I have, so that's another bed that needs attending to.

Gorgeous house!! But I would hate to keep up the outside!

Oh, I love the pink house too and I'm glad she sold the birdbath to you!

I like the last one! I love a lot of windows and would love to be able to walk out on the roof!

Will, ROTFL over the lime, but only if he mean't to. Sometimes paint really dries a different color. I've seen blue houses and wondered what the people were thinking.

I wondered. A lady here, who ended up with something like alzheimers, had appendicitis and I wondered if they could tell someone it hurt before it really hurt.

87 is a good age, but it's a shame she isn't always aware.

The witch hazel looks great!

Pepper, I think they do like shade don't they, or am I thinking of azalias?

Will, hmmm on losing the photo but not the text.

I can't wait to see how your plantings grow by next Fall. I smash all grubs :o)

Happ, cool on the ''painted lady'' name! I've never heard that.

Yeah, I have to agree that restoring the old homes should be kept as they were. A pain, but those buying love the idea.

I hear you on moving snow over your little tree.

A friend up by Chicago says her roses are going crazy too.

Will, sometimes the people that paint too extreme, ARE nuts, LOL! A well done house can look pretty good.

It's Friday. We may get rain, but not much. I hope to get a lot more done before it does.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8800341

Here is a picture of one of my roses but the color isn't right. It is a brillant bright red...only bad thing about my camera.

Billy if my sky wings makes it I will share with you. Sort of late planting it so I am a little concerned but better than being in the pot all winter.

I know the succulant pot behind the rose is blurry but it did really well. I have been experimenting with succulants so now i need to replant them into something and bring them in, some are hardy but some are not and I don't remember what is what...rofl.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8800346

Here is a brugmansia that is blooming up a storm, I don't think I have any other flower that smells as wonderful as this does.

I have another with two bloom that should open this weekend.

Thumbnail by happgarden

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8801432

Funny you mention appendicitis billyp, it also struck me about it, so I asked the day before she went to the hospital, she had her appendix removed long ago I found out, I heard that can be painful in the gut.
I didn't get much done outside today, I was gone most of the day. I did get one very large Weeping Japanese Maple planted. I was having some doubt if I was going to be able to get it out of the pot it's been in.
I wrestled that thing for 20 minutes, rolling it around and trying to get a grip on it to get it out! I was trying hard not to break off much foliage, some broke off anyway! But, I finally got it in the ground and mounded some dirt up around it. I dug a hole but prolly only about a third to a fourth of the rootball actually sat in the hole. I didn't want to make it flush with the ground. I wanted a little bit of a mound for it. I think that will look okay I hope.
But, the form of this little tree is funny, the branches come way down and will drag on the ground because they are longer than the trunk! So, I'm hoping to minimize that as much as I can also, now I just hope the whole thing doesn't fall over!

I was visiting a friend today and what do I see in her backyard? A mature stand of Bamboo! I couldn't believe it, it was around 20 feet tall! I think it's been a nuisance to her, she said she's been cutting it down because it's spreading. I told her that's pretty rare in Missouri, there isn't many bamboo's that will grow here. She said I could have some, so I may go over there and dig some up. I might make something like a barrel for them to sit in, in the background of my landscaped backyard, well, landscaped in my mind right now..lol

Thanks billyp, I am hoping that Witch Hazel does alright where I planted it. I was reading something today about Witch Hazel and they said it could get up to 20 feet tall and wide! It better not get that big or I'll be in big trouble!

Neat, a concrete planter full of succulents, I might do that too, that looks good.

Oh, it rained like the dickens here today, I don't have to water again for a few days!

Oh, I have to get a brug now!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8801463

I read that about the witch hazel too. I read it's because it likes to sucker apparently. lol. I hope I don't have that problem either. The space for it isn't that big. lol

Post a pic of the Jap maple Will. I was just reading about different ones hardy to our area in the latest edition of Organic Gardening. I want one of those that gets all twisted and gnarly now. LOL
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8801503

Sure, I'll post one of it. All I have to show it's real nice red Fall color is from 2 years ago. Last year it wasn't quite as nice in Fall color. That poor thing's been dug up at least twice, potted a couple times, I've hauled it everywhere, yet it keep's going! It's not all twisted up like a Harry Lauder's Walking Stick, however it does weep like crazy. And if I remember, they were quite proud of the price on it.
Will

This message was edited Sep 10, 2011 4:53 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8801504

Here it is closer up. I don't know what cultivar it is, well, until I find the papers on it. It came from Suburban Lawn and Garden in 2007. Isn't this a dazzling red?!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8802349

Beautiful tree Will...wowzer.
I am guessing you can trim and keep the witch hazel under control? DH will shoot me also if it gets to suckering and going nuts, so we will see...rofl.
You be careful with the bamboo Will, you keep tempting fate... ;)
That concrete planter belonged to my Mom she had it when she lived in southern Missouri and when she moved in with me she gave it to me. I really like the succulants in it...digging them up not so much, the planter just weighs too much to move.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8802557

Thanks happ, that Japanese Maple is a knockout most of the time, wish it were mine! I'll trim that Witch Hazel into submission! Well, if I must!
Yeah, I do tempt fate pretty good at times. I love Bamboo, I wish it was easier to have and stuff. But, look at you building a bench AND a Pergola. And all that cleaning and organizing you do, with a full time job! I think you're the busybee! Billyp says too, I don't know how you do everything you do do! It's good to have things planned out daily. I feel bad if I don't at least get some little thing accomplished during the day. I tell my friend, "I'm trying to earn my keep!"! She just laughs!
I love the concrete planter full of Succulents! There is a concrete planter here, now I know what I want to do with it, it's empty right now.
Here is that Weeping Japanese Maple in the daylight, (all the way in the back, you can see how it's elevated some in a mound). That's the newly planted Witch Hazel all the way over to the right in the photo, I hope it has enuff room! I am digging this rain, boy that stinks for TX. and places that are suffering with fires and drought, send the rain there. -
Will

This message was edited Sep 10, 2011 11:18 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8802864

I went to The Home Depot and did a return and mostly shopping as it turned out! I got 2 $4 ea. Mums, 2 $4 ea. Hibiscus 'Luna Red's and a $2.98 variegated Vinca Minor, which is a ground cover, cuz it would maybe be real nice eventually, in a hanging basket. I have this thing about buying stuff when it's small or tiny, but mostly cheap! Then, in a couple years they're a decent size and I can show them to people, I am no longer ashamed of them! haha!
For example, the variegated Ficus in the above photo was under $2 in 2007! That Sago Palm was also tiny in 2007 and quite cheap then, $7 I think. I bought that Asparagas Fern, in the same photo, for under $3 earlier this year. I tell you, I'm a cheapo! But, I've seen some real nice plants for sale for some real money (not monopoly money...lol)! I'm gonna need to part with some money every now and then, to have some decent plants and stuff in enuff quantity too.
Here is 1 Hib. tonite. I wanted that big bud out in the front in case it decided to bloom! Sorry about all the blocks in the photo, I'll be moving them soon. And my cheesy measuring tape, geez, it made the photo, I was just
measuring it's hole so it was centered between the 2 Bananas.
I thot "hardy Mums" would come back year after year, but I don't know what I was thinking, I looked at the small print when I got back and it said annual. But I got 2, so now I can put them on display and keep up with the Joneses with my Mums this Fall!

This message was edited Sep 10, 2011 9:39 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8803246

Happ, thanks. I don't think it's too late to plant anything. At least up to November, the plants will contimue making roots if the top growth stops. I'm moving phlox, iris and all kinds of things now. The other day I just moved a 6' tall lavender hyssop. The bumble bees didn't miss a beat and it didn't even wilt. I've never seen it get so big. I'll have to get a picture. It's the second large one I moved.

The rose is beautiful anyway and I love the planting of the succulents!

Brugs are sooo pretty!

Will, did they find what was wrong with her? Vomiting bloody looking stuff can't be too good. It sounds like an ulcer. Maybe you worry her? LOL! (Since we know she cusses you out.)

Cracking myself up with images of you ''wrestling'' the tree. I have a pretty ''cartoon'' based mind sometimes :o) Actually that is a huge accomplishment just to get it out. If it's not all the way in the ground, and just mounded, throw mulch on it so rain or the hose won't expost the roots.
I like the branches!

Wow, 20' tall bamboo. That would make a nice living screen!

I've seen witch hazel taller than wide. I'll bet you could trim each Fall to get the branching the way you would like them. tall would be fine unless it's under a highline.

I know, those brugs just sell themselves don't they?

Pepper. mow those suckers off :o)

I love the twisted gnarly trees. I lost leaves off my Harry Lauder this summer and hope it's not dying. We did water it before the drought and it's pretty old. It should be established.

Will, it's a most beautiful tree! If I got one, it would just about be the one!

Happ, laughing. Trim and mow the suckers before he has a chance to see the problems :o)

I like the planter too, and being from your Mom makes it better.

Will, ROTFL! Don't worry, you do earn your keep! Plus, how pretty is the back yard getting?

No shame in the little. Besides you do a good job of keeping them alive.

A lot of people grab the mums just to have Fall color.

Cool! The Luna will really take off next year!

Another busy day outside. I'm finally digging into the little iris and moving them around to different places. I took a lot of heliopsis out that just went all over, and am replacing it with phlox seedlings since I love each one. No rain so no more mowing right now. It feels good to get it all done.

"Black Knight" caryopteris. I just love the deep blue and the bumblebees are all over it!

Thumbnail by billyporter

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8803299

Will had to laugh about I will move this or that in the photo...seems every time I take a photo I see all the stuff laying around that should be somewhere else, funny I don't see it when I am walking around, or taking the photo, just see it when I am getting ready to post it. Mums are strange plants and some do come back every year, but at hd and lowes you have to read the tags cause they do that kind of stuff all the time. I bought a hibiscus there one time that was under the perennial area and yes it is perennial if you live in Ark. in zone 7, but not KC. I bought the mum "helen" 3 times before I finally got one to come back every year and it has been a happy camper now for probably 4 years.

I am a huge believer in cheap plants and small ones actually transplant better than the bigger ones. I have been scouring the discounted plants at hd and lowes. I did find Sat. and lowes a really nice patio umbrella for 25.00, it is really big, nice color and will look good in my tropical garden. Also stopped by goodwill and found two wicker chairs for 6.00 a piece, so now I am on a mission for seat cusions while they are on sale. Once I get those I will know what color to paint the wicker chairs, all going in my tropical garden under the perg.

Thanks for the info Billy on transplanting until November. I was a bit concerned about that, but needed to get things done. That plant is beautiful, and sounds tough, love the bees being around. No one here is allergic to them. Don't want stung but sure want the bees to be good and healthy cause we need them.

I might of gotten 5 rain drops yesterday, got really black and then the clouds split and go around our house...rofl.
The perg and the potting bench are late fall, nice day projects this winter since I am busy planting. I am scribbling and rough sketching how I think I want the potting bench, searching the internet for ideas and pictures, I want to make the best one I can cause I am only doing this once...rofl. Anyone got any suggestions or pictures that they have seen please let me know. I bought a huge piece of stain glass at a junk store for 25.00 (don't know why it was so cheap) but it is narrow and long and that is going in the back of the potting bench above my tools and stuff. It is of a vine with flowers and butterflies on it.

I will take another picture of the brugs today because it is changing colors, goes from white to pale pink to dark pink. I have anothr blooming now, just barely opening.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8804057

Oh, I do like a cheap little plant! Its hard to believe this one was around $1.96 in 2007, in a 4" pot! I am going to try to keep it out of so much direct sunlight next year, I think that is what gave some of the leaves sunscald.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011 4:07 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8804058

Well, a little bit has changed back in the backyard, not a terrible lot so far. But, in the next month or 2, before the weather turns nasty, I have plans to do a whole lot. The biggest so far, that we rolled that car into the garage and the Peach tree is a little taller. My green trailer is visible in the second photo, in both it's full of trash. In the first photo, it is blocked by the car but you can see how tall the trash is stacked in it still.
I put these 2 photos together, it's only less than 6 months difference. I'm kinda turning the corner on cleaning up and organizing the outside now! Now, I'll get hit by a bus!

Haha! I hope I do earn my keep! The yard is coming along, I'll be excited to post a photo hopefully by Fall's end of the fantastic yard.

We don't think it was blood that the elderly lady threw up, maybe just some brownish stomach contents. They said at the hospital it was a bladder infection after running tests. She must be feeling better she is eating and drinking, everything is as normal as normal can be. I just got back from McDonalds to get her a cheeseburger a few minutes ago. She does cuss me at times! I'll never forget when she told me, "the Sheriff is coming to get you, you sob!"! Oh, and the time she told me, "I'm sorry Will, but I'm going to have to have you arrested for this blank!"! For anyone that might not know, she has been very imaginative at times! She has had make believe going alot. We know she doesn't feel well, we don't laugh or give her any grief, she is still the queen.
Last nite she says, "I'm gonna throw up", we were both in there, her daughter says "Mom, please don't throw up", she never threw up, I think she likes saying she's gonna throw up now! Last nite she says there's a stob in her neck and she can't put her head on the pillow!

Would love to see more pics of you're brugs happ, they are beautiful.

Haha! My sleeves were all muddy from the ordeal with that big pot! At one point, the pot rolls into the hole and I'm thinking "well, isn't that just great!" Unfortunately, the tree had to come out of the pot first!
It took me about 10 minutes to get the pot out of the hole, then I still had to get the tree out of the pot!

A nice screen that Bamboo would make indeed! I've been trying to think of a way to get it here without cutting it.

I potted up my 2 Mums. The blooms were still closed, so in a day or 2 they'll be on display for all to see!
Nice Caryopteris billyp. I almost bought one yesterday at The Home Depot but I know so little about them.
Will

This message was edited Sep 11, 2011 8:11 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2011

Post #8804296

I found an old photo of that variegated Weeping Fig up there. - I'm thinking now, "oh boy, it gets much too large for a houseplant, (12 ft. tall)!". Actually, I'm not sure if I bought it early 08' or late 07'.
http://www.almostedenplants.com/mall/Variegatedweepingfig.asp Geez, what was I thinking, that thing was small!!

This message was edited Sep 11, 2011 9:42 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8804648

Happ, cracking up. I too see the mess after the picture!

I can't wait to see the finished version of your tropical garden. It's funny how it all fell in place. The bchairs are a bonus!

AWESOME on the stained glass!!

Will, a very good buy! I tend to over water potted plants and houseplants so I don't do them, LOL!

Smiling, progress really changes how things look and no doubt you'll get the pots put away and move whatever needs moved. Just getting rid of trash is a big step!

She is a card! I think I forgot it was a bladder infection. I'm glad it was easily cured with meds. She shouldn't have to suffer.
I am smiling over her saying she's going to throw up.

CRACKING up over the pot rolling in the hole. I've had that happen, but not with anything as heavy as that.

I didn't know anything when my neighbor gave me a seedling off her's, so go back and get it! LOL! Mine stays small, and if not, you can trim them. I will do that if mine starts to get bigger. They just start blooming now so are a beautiful blue for Fall color. Mine is in the shade of a walnut tree, so that might keep it smaller too.

A lot has changed in the pictures!

Lets hope it's a very slow growing fig. You might get many years enjoyment before you have to top it.

I'm still working on the small iris. I have three clumps to go. I actually got far enough into the bed to easily dig out one Casa Blanca lily. It's in a pot. Two more to go and then I have to figure out where I'm going to replant them. Im also going to tackle the huge rootball of 5 lilies that were in one pot. I dumped all in a big hole and hope they magically unknotted themselves since last Fall.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2011

Post #8805840

I have been busy and not getting much sleep here. lol. Had to work Sat and then went to movies with some friends. Went and saw The Help. Highly recommend that movie!! Didn't get home til midnight and had to be up again at 3am to hit the road at 5am. Yesterday was my neice's birthday so we drove to Des Moines to go see her. Took my 4 year old nephew who drove me nuts yesterday morning. lol. I kept trying to go back to sleep after we stopped for breakfast but he wasn't having none of that. Kept saying it's not dark so I don't need to sleep. Kept yanking on my arm and yelling at me to not go to sleep!! Next time he comes over and tries to nap during the day I might return the favor. LOL

Will and Crit, your bushes are boxed up. They will go out tomorrow. Make sure to give them a good soaking because they are dry right now. I got them dug up, the hydrangas put in their place, witch hazels and several other plants mulched and the bed with my deutzias and lilac weeded. All in all a productive afternoon.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8805897

I set that big Weeping Fig on the porch, I'm bringing it and a couple others in tonite. I better not gamble with some of my pretty houseplants so long! In the reading that I've been doing on the Fig, they say minimum 60 F, I thought closer to 40! It gets under 60 every nite! I hope it grows slow too! I've already cut the top off once because I think the low light in the Winter weakens it pretty bad and it droops over like it's rubber!

Really, a lot has changed ya think?! Well, I'll take a lot! But, it needs a bunch of attention still.

Here is one of my 2 Mums, it's white. I have a better photo, but it was getting dark tonite but now both my Mums are on display but they're not open yet. The other Mum is dark red.

Oh, this is the time to shop Lowes and maybe The Home Depot for Fall specials, (prolly all stores and nurseries). Last Fall, I bought three trees and several plants at half price because it was clearance for the year. The trouble with that is, don't expect a great big selection! But, I've never found the pickings to be terrible even then.

A friend says Mums like Home Depot and Lowes in Spring aren't hardy but in the Fall they are hardier but still not hardy enuff to last all Winter.
I saw that Pier One imports has a huge selection of cushions but not necessarily cheap. We had a $100 gift certificate to there last year and we were checking out cushions but we got $40 ea. ceramic fish instead!
Oh, she is a card alright, last nite she had Lemonade at 4 in the morning!

Cool, thanks Pepper, I'm looking forward to it, I'll water it good! It sounds like you've been busy! Oh, the joys of childhood!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8805910

Will, those mums might suprise you. Even though they say annuals they might come back. All of mine that are in the ground come back every year. And the pots said annuals. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8805943

I'll plant them after they bloom! That would be nice to have Mums all year!
Thanks
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8806924

I have found if I don't trim the mums back in July or whenever they tell you to do it, my Mums still bloom in the fall and survive the winter much better. I think triming them back and changing their living pattern weakens them. No scientic proof, just my impression.

Here is the stuff I have collected for my potting bench.
Porcelin sink from dumpster diving
glass window that is 6 feet long and narrow to run along the back of bench at eye level. The bench will be free standing so the sun can shine thru it
furnace grate so my new potting soil can fall thru it to a bucket below

Now what am I forgetting, what would you like in a potting bench? It will have shelves and be really big, cause I know I will use up the space, that will not be a problem...rofl. The one I have now might be 3 feet long and heavens I can barely do anything on it.

Thought about putting pegs achored to the bench to slide the pots over, cause they are always getting blown around.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8806930

Will here are some more brug blooms, look at the long trendils on these...

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8806933

Here is looking up at the flower. Wish I could send you the aroma, omg they are wonderful.

Thumbnail by happgarden

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8807026

Yeow happ! That will be a neat potting bench when you're done! Wow, a sink on it, that will be nice. And sifting the dirt, that is also a good thing to have, it could get rocks out and big clods of dirt.
And that glass woo wee! You want it nice! Hey, if Martha Stewart can have a nice potting bench so can everyone else!! Me in a potting bench? I'd like at least a garden hose, but you got that well covered with a sink.
A vise on mine for making outdoor woodwork would be sweet. I don't have a potting bench right now, I better work on having pants first! lol
I like birder's bench also - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8777095

And speaking of porcelain, thats what you're Brugs look like! They are beautiful happ! Now, I want that but I don't know if I can find a place to overwinter it.

Here is a wider shot of the front porch. Thats the dark red planter of Mums over on the far right. That stack of green suet cages is all ready! Thats my Asparagas Fern and my Spider plant in the photo to the left, they're just there temporarily for now, I'll bring them in in a day or so. Right now, its so warm, but starting tomorrow nite in KCMO it's going down there at nite they say, (44). - http://www.weather.com/weather/today/64054:4:US
I brought my Weeping Fig in last nite, but I didn't need to, and I hear a cat was laying in it! I can't have that because then they start going to the bathroom in it. I tried to keep my mug out of the reflection in the photo.
How about my string holding that chair, well, it keeps it from blowing away! And that rectangular planter is about to get moved. The Coleus and the Sweet Potato Vine are still looking good though. Some of the other stuff is all flopped over and they look dastardly. But, I saw some of the mints in it that are hardy, (like the Grapefruit Mint and the Banana Mint, both zone 4 and -30 the labels say). So, I'll just set aside the whole thing and let Mother Nature do her thing on them.

Altho, I'd like to start cuttings from the Coleus first before I leave the rectangular planter out for the elements. Does anyone know if the Sweet Potato Vine can be done that way also, or is it done for the year?
That empty looking blue pot has sand and cigarette butts in it, I don't smoke, but some other aides do. I see I need to repair some non-skid tape, and that stuff was so expensive, $19.99 for a 20' roll.
And that bucket of Euonymus 'Emerald and Gold' I think is what it's called, is going to be on display, it's a Winter stalwart.
Will

This message was edited Sep 13, 2011 4:29 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8807045

I am going to be a busy little girl tonight hauling things in...dang.

Thanks Will, I hope it turns out good, someone on another site said I need peg board for tools, course I know that won't hold up outside, but I could put some heavy wire in a section under the glass and hang hooks and tools on there.

I know some folks overwinter brugs in the basement or cool garage (not frozen) with shop lights, mine go in the solar room or garden room, so that is one problem I don't have if I can get them indoors. Good luck everyone hauling things in. I know coleus do not cold weather.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8807269

I brought in all my tropicals except for what are in the big pots. I will get to those later in the week probably. They will be ok since the only ones I really need to worry about saving are the sweet potato vines, elephant ears and some coleus for my grandma. I do need to get a small bag of potting soil so that when I dump one of the pots I can put my magnolia in it. Need to get burlap or something to insulate it this winter too. WIll burlap insulate a pot ok thru the winter? Or do I need something else?

Will, the sweet potato vine can be brought in as a house plant, cuttings or you can overwinter them like you do elephant ears. Cool and dark spot in basement or garage. They do get a late start when you do it that way but they will survive and thrive eventually.

Happ, glad someone mentioned peg board to you. I was thinking that or having hooks on the sides of the bench for hanging stuff. But something like a peg board will be better.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8807563

Thanks, I'm going to try cuttings of the Sweet Potato Vine also. My Grandma has the regular light green ones and I have a purple one. I'm gonna try my luck at making a bunch of them, they are so good for a planter all together in a shady spot, which I have alot of shade. I took a photo of my "hardy mums" label. It says hardy, but how hardy is hardy? I wonder what they mean by hardy, 30 degrees maybe 40?
Happ, I think you have 1 more day, I hope you weren't being a busy little girl all today!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8807564

Heres the back of the mums label, heres where it says annual. I had to wash that label first, a cat puked a hairball on it! I've never tried burlap to overwinter myself, my uneducated guess would be that wouldn't be enuff.
I'm not sure I understand how you're doing it though.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2011
4:36 AM

Post #8807738

Pepper, cracking up over your nephew! Just think, little boys don't get any better, LOL!! I sure hope you can catch up on sleep. Talk about running on fumes! Des Moines is quite a drive from you. I'll bet your niece was really glad to see you tho.

I see you are accomplishing Fall work too :o)

Will, laughing, you're pretty sure it's not really a rubber plant? LOL!

Just restacking the boards, putting the buckets away, or over by the shed, and wrapping up the wire would make it look like you did a lot more. Not criticizing. I am a great one for just making a ''mess'' look tidier. Sometimes that's all it takes to make it look like you worked all day.

I hope your Mums make it.

Happ, my neighbor has mums and usually does the trimming. Too much work!! I have a red and a white I dug from my friend's house after she passed. They bloom right before frost, LOL! I really need to get them to a good place and leave them alone. I keep moving them. Right now I just uncovered them. They were buried in the middle of a bed.

AWESOME on the sink!! We had one like it at home. We could take the ridged ''dishdrainer'' side off and the other side was deeper. We had baths in it when we were kids. Love the grate and the glass too!

I can't imagine what else you might need in there. I guess you think about potting. What are you reaching for?

The brug is such a beautiful color!

Will, smiling over the front porch. You've got it all under control!

It's hard to say if your mum will over-winter or not. I'd plant it, like Pepper said. You have nothing to lose.

Thumbnail by billyporter

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8808850

Haha! I bet you weren't kidding about a Rubber Plant billyp, because actually it is very closely related, Rubber Plant is Ficus elastica and mine is Ficus benjamina! - http://www.gwenshealinggarden.ca/Foliage_Plants.Ficus.htm Although, they discuss the straight Weeping Fig here, mine is a variegated Weeping Fig, a sort of mutant of the regular one, mine doesn't get nearly that big.
I got the 2 Butterfly Bushes in the mail today, Pepper. There was a note that looked to be under the potted one, that said Black Knight, was the potted one the 'Black Knight'? I dipped them both in water first thing.
I'll get the postage to you soon. I took a photo of them, nice plants, thanks.
Boy, it is getting downright cold the next 2 nights! They are now saying a low possibly of 40 F tonite. They say it hasn't been that cold in 4 months. - Heres the Weather Channel for here - http://www.weather.com/weather/today/64054:4:US Heres a local forecast - http://www.nbcactionnews.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast I brought several houseplants in. Before I left the rectangular planter with the Coleus and the purple Sweet Potato Vines out, I took cuttings of them both, I'd love to have them growing for free here next year.

Thats true billyp, there is alot of easy stuff to do, I kinda started that yesterday, moving and restacking boards. But you're right, there is so much that can be done easily and quickly. I plan on getting medieval on all that stuff's backside before it's too cold to be outside for long. Hehe! I talk big there, but actually, there also is no motivator like having code enforcement and the police perusing all you're stuff either! They were just here about that unlicensed car up there, which has been in the garage since April, less than a month after that first "before" photo was taken. Altho, I'm sure they looked at the other stuff in an appalling fashion! I should've asked the cops if they wanted to water my plants while they were back there!

Who is that in the sink billyp? I saw that little thumbnail and I was like,"who the heck is in the sink?!"! Is that a little you in the sink?!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8809166

41/63 Sunshine and a few afternoon clouds. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph.

Carole, thanks. It takes about 1/3 cup sugar per jar, but it's not much different than frozen concentrate. I've even made grape pie. It's different, but not fantastic.

Pepper, it's amazing how many plants a person can end up with, LOL! I hope you can squeeze them all in somewhere till this weather straightens up!!

I don't think it frosted, but it's cold out there all the same :o(

I'm going to put my North storm window on later. They are picking corn and the air is filthy with gravel dust. Since the wind has been in the N to NE all week, it's been pretty dirty around here.

DH covered the tomatoes with tarp yesterday and I picked 20 before he did.

I managed to move 10 daylilies to the West house wall last night. I was waiting to make sure the Wild Rose didn't come back. That would have been a mess! I can't wait to see how they look next year. The metal roof runs condensation almost every day, so the dirt was wet when I moved them. Luckily a lot of them were small and easier to move. A couple were old timers and I divided them. I'm hoping to never have to move them again, but I'm not putting the pea gravel back around them yet. All are various shades of yellow.

Thumbnail by billyporter

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8809463

Hello! Everyone!

I just check my email today and sure too many!

So, JuJu got her tail injury 2 days ago I just don't know how is happen! I put her outside early morning and I was in bathroom and Rusty start barking alot and see outside what going on! So, JuJu got her tail sore and she will be okay for while as today I took her to WildCat Park which I go there sometime for walk... Nice day today and very so cold ha ha!

I check on August thread and sure I still have my laptop and my Internet is off now and it terrible to pay for the Internet so I need to get a big break from Internet for 9-1/2 yrs... I will be on either in middle of October or after first new year 2012...

There is tornado death toll is now 162... 2 old peoples died in hospital and nursing home...

I clean up my house and sure too much dusts!

Well, it nothing for garden this time and I just clean up my yard and I try for 5 gallon buckets next year...

Take Care everyone!

This message was edited Sep 15, 2011 10:10 AM
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8809760

Ack!
It's nice to see you again Rusty! Sorry to hear about Ju's tail injury. My paternal Grandma used to have a dog that would chase it's tail, sometimes it would catch it and chew on it until it was bloody!
But, it coulda been a Raccoon or an opossum that was into you're trash can or something and Ju wanted to know what the heck was going on!
I hear it didn't get as cold in Kansas City proper as they thought, the International airport did get the cold. They said KCI (our airport) got down to 41, here about 30 miles South of there, it only got down to 46, even in the city of Kansas City, MO. I looked at my Coleus outside, it appears to still be alive. I hope the Coleus and my purple Sweet Potato Vine survived the cold snap because technically it could be 2 or 3 more weeks or so before it stays too cold for them. I like my stuff to look good as long as possible!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8810154

Will, Black Knight is the bareroot one. I had it wrapped around a stem but it must of fell off. lol. The other one is Blue Nahno. It was blooming til I had to cut it back to mail it to you. It's very pretty!!

Crit, yours is called Peacock. It's a shorter variety.

My plants weren't affected by the cold snap at all. I need to get cuttings of the coleus also so my grandma can have some. She likes the one I have. lol

Hey Rusty!! Glad to hear from you again!! Sorry to hear JuJu hurt her tail but at least she will be ok.

Well, my mom likes how the plants look on the stairs so they will be staying there. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8810274

Ok thanks, the bareroot one was the one that didn't have any leaves, it'll be easy to distinguish the 2. They sound nice, I can't wait to see what they look like in bloom! My housemate's Sister is coming for a visit from Virginia in Oct. or Nov., now I can put them out and maybe she won't notice her's are gone! That sounds shady, I'll prolly tell her her's didn't make it, I'll just cover my cheeks in case she swings!

My Coleus is still alive too I'm pretty sure, I might get more cuttings! I'd like a big planter of Coleus and other colorful plants next year!
I got a photo of something I did late today. I made a cover for my new waterpond! It's made out of sheet plastic, it is 10' x 10'. I had 2 long hollow metal bars, that were rusted out, and just sitting around, I wired them together, to make them longer, and put them under the plastic in the middle. I really put some trash to use in that haha! All those black weight plates were in the trash, they are perfect, they don't have hard or sharp edges like rocks or something. And the 2 bars are from that same fitness thing that was destined for the trash and I put them in the middle under the plastic!
Hehe! See all those black plates in that green trailer, thats going to the landfill? I am getting those back out, they are good to hold down plastic sheet or something.
Even those 4 stacked boards over there are relocated tonite, as well as that one thats leaning up on the shed there. That thing fell over a couple nites ago right onto a plant that I had sitting there, a Strawberry Begonia!
It didn't do much damage to the plant, it barely stuck out above the planter but the planter was all broke up. And that unrolled wire mesh that I had sitting around, got tied up tonite with some handy ties I had at the ready!
I'm making a little headway on getting it cleaned up back there.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8810277

Heres some stacked up boards hehe!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8810283

How about these Cleomes, they are really putting on a show! The other side of that Arbor is where I plan to put the new 'Penny Lane' Rose in the Spring! Theres some black plastic edging in the photo, I'm straightening it out, I'd like to put about 100' of it in the backyard. See the Witch Hazel and the Blackberry bushes back there? That label goes to a Blueberry bush that I bought this year.
Will

This message was edited Sep 15, 2011 8:59 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8810815

Shortleaf, there is no city trash can (lid is close) in my yard only I put by the fence and there is no raccoon and opossum in my yard at all... She was maddy bark at next door... So, I just ingore next door that I don't like redneck lady is wacko! She alway picky on me what I do nothing so I told her "You must be big mistake what I do is water my yard and I don't water her tree along the fence!) Her daugther is lie! I was water with the bottle of flea spray on the garden hose that was 3 yrs ago)...
Next time she do that again I will report for that abuse my dog again...

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8810841

Haha Rusty! I know the feeling! I forgot about lids, we have lids on ours too.
The heater is on, the air conditioner is off!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8811558

Same here!! Too cold not to have the heaters on!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8811775

Heaters are here to stay I'm afraid! I visited my grandparents tonite. I couldn't get away without playing my Grandpa a couple of games of Chess! I had an ulterior motive too I'm afraid! She has a rectangular planter on the back porch that has some light green Sweet Potato plants in it, so I got a few cuttings, 12 to be exact! At least 6 of them should come up because I kinda forgot to pay attention to which sides were up and down on the first few cuttings! But, she said she was going to let the Sweet Potato plants die, she wasn't going to take cuttings. She said she doesn't really like Sweet Potato plants, that planter was given to her with the plants already in them. I am still going to get more cuttings of my own purple Sweet Potato Vine and my Coleus. The way it looks in the weather, I might have a couple of weeks to get those. I'll get them soon tho, we could have a nite go down to the 30's, the weather forecasts aren't always right.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8812474

Love the picture Billy, times of just pure happiness.
The cleome will not come back from the same plant, but from seed. Be careful when you go to pull up the dead stalk cause they have a few stickers on the stalk. Most of the time I can do it bare handed, but sometimes I get stuck. I like it because it is blooming when not much else is. You will see seed pods forming, I let them fall where they want, but you can collect them.

It got really cold up here this week. Horrible. I got a cold already this year and was sick trying to at night get the rest of the tropicals in, it was rotten.

Oh so good to hear from you Rusty. It is horrible when one of the animals are sick or hurt. Do you think your neighbor hurt them? That would be horrible to have a bad neighbor like that, gosh. There are just alot of miserable people in the world.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8812490

Well, I got 4 plants planted this afternoon! A 'Mini Penny' Hydrangea, a purple Lilac, a Japanese Barberry (not sure of the variety) and last but not least a little Cardinal Plant.
The Cardinal Plant is in the foreground but it's so small, it might not be too visible in the photo. I've got so much to plant! I'm trying to take in consideration of mature sizes of plants, bigger plants in the back, stuff like that.
It's probably going to look funny next year but I'd like to get everything in pots planted, so I'll have less worry about hardiness over the Winter of all the stuff outside in pots, not to mention my plan to organize the yard!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2011

Post #8812491

I know now what color a Tropicanna's flower has, red!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2011

Post #8812492

Those Cleomes are really pretty, I'm glad they are there. The stalk is kind of attractive too! Yeah, it is nice to have flowers now, and they are still blooming, thats a pleasant surprise. Thanks for the warning happ, I got gloves at the ready!
Here is another view of my "tropical spot" under construction. I'll prolly be putting a bunch of either cocoa shell mulch or black mulch soon.
I'm still trying to decide if I should get trash cans or something to put over the Banana plants over the Winter. It would be so nice if they returned in the Spring!

I saw this friend's old photo as a baby and she was sitting in the toilet bowl! Maybe she was being potty trained at the time!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8812552

I wonder if she knew where she was sitting?!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8813526

Rusty, good to see you posting and I know Ju's tail will be just fine. She's so enthusiastic she might have broke it waving it against the deck somehow.

Internet IS terrible to pay for and we all just about need it now!

The toll just keeps on going. So sad. Especially since they died in a hospital.

Laughing, much dust and gravel road dust in mine.

Will, absolutely! You pay a lot for an annual and you want the most out of it. Besides it will heat up again.

Pepper, I had Blue Nanho for quite a few year sbefore losing it, and have Black Knight too. Sometime, I wish something would get 10' - 12' tall and wide. BK stayed about 5' or so. Nice for smelling and trimming off the dead buds, but gee. That isn't tall.

Grandma's are good for keeping a plant going :o)

Will, ROTFL, but in reality, yes, you better put them out and hope she won't notice they are different!!

Awesome recycle job! It's a perfect cover! Now what did the weights come from? They are as good as bricks. I'd be stacking them somewhere. You may not have to take the trailor to the landfill this year :o)

Smiling, it's a nice stack of wood and now you can find the length you want a lot easier.

Nice Cleomes! I went past a house today that has a long row of the rose queen cleomes. They are sooo pretty. I had old seed and not a one grew. I will have to find a place next year. I really like them.

I can't wait to see your bushes with a little size on them.

Rusty, you're right to stay away from her. She's no good and neither is her daughter.

Will, cracking up over your ulterior motives!!

Happ, yep, when times were a lot easier :o) Old pictures do remind us of that.

I just bought a bottle of Zinc and am going to take it thru the winter. I'm sorry you got caught with a cold already, but it's a matter of time before we all get one :o( I need to think about getting a flu shot.

Will, it will be worth getting everything in the ground this year.

Well, isn't that a pretty red! I'm glad it finally bloomed. It's so cheery!

Since it's by the house, it might be nice to have the cocoa mulch there.

Isn't she adorable? I hope it was brand new with no water in it, LOL!

I've been busy editing photos this week. Then we got the Grandsons Friday after school and took them with us Saturday to the DH's side of the family reunion. DD brought the twins and they were adored by everyone. Today the boys went home.

I am on a cloud! In the outdoors, and the noise, both of the twins picked out my voice and focused on my face. I am officially their Grandma and I am so happy!

We're actually getting a little rain and it makes me feel like baking. Of course, here I sit trying to catch up on the computer. :o)
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8814053

Hi Sally,
Haha, if she sees the new Butterfly bushes she'll be saying "what the heck, they were supposed to have red flowers!"! Haha, I saw the tag to one of the old ones, it was called something like 'Royal Red'!
Hehe, it prolly wasn't a new toilet, her parents prolly just thought it was funny! You know, "she's just a baby, she doesn't know where shes at, hehe!"! Who knows what people do to they're kids when they're babies!

Thanks, oh, I have taken those black weights back out of the trailer, where they were destined for the landfill. They came from an old, unused fitness machine that was strewn across that wooden bridge in the earlier "before and after photo" of the backyard up there. Years ago, they acquired that wooden bridge from the next door neighbor unintentionally, it had floated downstream from they're backyard during a unusual seriously heavy rain. Anyway, the disabled elderly lady was quite lively then (1998) and wouldn't give it back!
Actually, the black weights are in that second photo stacked up where the scraps of wood is stacked now! I got the go-ahead to throw away that fitness machine about a month ago. I'm glad it occurred to me about re-using the black weights!

A bottle of Zinc?! What does Zinc do? Usually when I have a cold I don't know it. I get a coldsore on my lip about a week later, then it hits me that that musta been a cold when my nose ran all day! I hope happ and you get to feeling better! I remember when I was a kid my Grandma would say, "put a hat (for ex.) on, you're going to catch a cold"! I was an awful kid, I'd say, "you don't catch a cold from the temperature, you get it from a virus!".
Yea, flu shot thoughts are here again! I dread flu shots! One year, (2001, Nov.), I got a flu shot and February of 2002 I got the flu and thought I was going to die! I really felt bad, I remember thinking, "this is it, I'm gonna die here with the flu"! You know 35,000 or so people die worldwide every year of the flu? It probably didn't help thinking how many die from the flu, when I had it!
Anyway, I'll pass out from shots! Well, theres a chance! The last time I passed out from a shot was 2008 when I had a kidney stone. I remember telling the nurse, "I might pass out, but if I do, I'll be back in about 30 seconds, the problem is I just won't know where I'm at"! I'm sure on the average you're better off with one than without, dangit! I'll prolly get another one, I got one last year too!

My Mom and Stepmom really go crazy over they're grandkids too!

I guess Pyracantha 'Gnome's DO berry up in the shade!

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2011
3:33 AM

Post #8814390

61/77 A few showers early with bright sunshine by the afternoon. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Will, then ''honesty'' is the best policy. They didn't survive the winter so you replaced them for her.

Ahh, the fitness machine.

Oh my gosh and they let her keep it?

Zinc is good for the immune system and they told me to take it for my eyes.

Luckily, I'm not down with anything yet.

Grinning, my Grandma and older Aunt used to say the same thing :o)

I've had the flu all my life, so even sick as I feel, I never feel that far gone, LOL! Since I've never had the shot, are they that painful? :o)

Gnome is a very nice little shrub!

It was raining lightly when I got up. I never expected it so it was a nice suprise.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8814702

I didn't do a thing outside but did manage to get a path into the garden room, talk about a mess. Figured out I have put the wrong plant stands in the wrong place so I am having to rethink alot. May give up and put everything back where it usually is who knows. I really need to downsize but how do you ever figure out what plant you don't want! Maybe I just need to trim everything back and I won't have to get rid of anything. One hibiscus is full of buds so I don't want to cut it back yet. My bananas are way too big and are going to have to be cut back, but they are so pretty. Oh well. I did get a pole hung for hanging plants and that helped a little. Need to hang another support bracket tho, cause when I water they are going to weigh a lot.

Will I am with you I have a ton to plant cause I don't want to worry about them all winter. Problem is I don't have the gardens ready. Guess I can throw them in the earth berm behind the water garden, least they will be planted.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8815021

Oh, they had no choice but to let her keep that bridge, it was on her property now, it was hers. They told me several guys came over to get it back then and she told them it was hers now.

Yeah, I know whats going to happen, it does every year, time will get away from me and it will be 10 before I know it! I usually spend several hours one Fall day or so, getting all my plants taken care of.
Oddly enuff I don't lose that many!

Yeah, I plan to tell her what really happened to the BB Bushes, if she ever she ever really comes back to MO. She knows her Mom is a BIG handful for her Sister, (my friend here) so she conveniently stays in VA., she rarely visits. In the last 20 years, I bet shes been here maybe 10 times. I think when family moves away like that sometimes they want to be disassociated and unattached emotionally and everything. For ex., I personally have an Aunt in Arkansas who comes up here all the time to see her very elderly parents and other family members. VA. is further away than AR. but still, that Sister rarely even calls. Altho, I hear she wants to do better, we'll see.
The sacrifices my friend here has made to have her Mother here at home is almost unfathomable. That Sister in Virginia should be ashamed of herself. They have another Brother also, here local, and he hasn't seen his Mom or anybody else in they're family for 20 years. My friend here sent notice to him that his Mother was near the end, and he never contacted my friend back, how cold is that? In the letter she sent to him, it included black and white photos of him and his Mother, for ex. in one, him as a baby and her holding him. She sometimes calls out for him, but she'll never see him again.

She is funny unintentionally sometimes, like this morning, there were two nurses in there and she says, "ladies, theres something I need to tell you, theres a fire in here". I wasn't in there but I could hear them, its hard to hold back the laughter sometimes, the hospice nurse was giggling. We turned the heater on for the first time recently and you know that first time smell that comes out? Well, now shes been saying fire all the time.
Today, she tells me the Fire Dep't is coming. She says to me, "are the firemen here, wait right there, the police are coming for you too"! She just thinks I am using her daughter, she just is being protective to the end, I don't give her a hard time.

Will

This message was edited Sep 19, 2011 2:08 PM
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8815548

Forget my previous post, what a downer, I don't mean to bring anybody down. I did the last painting of the year, outside tonite! I got the foundation above my proposed shade garden painted. It got up to 80 they say so I took advantage of the warmth, so the paint will be happy enuff on the foundation. I can't have a nasty looking wall behind my shade garden! The garage doors and the East side of the house will have to wait till next year
to get painted, besides I am out of paint! Now, I can get my Hostas, Coral Bells, Ferns, Ligularias and Lily of the Valleys squeezed in there. I've already got 2 of the big Hostas planted, a 'Blue Angel' and a 'Francee'.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8815930

Happ, I am stunned and laughing at the same time at your predicament! I hear you on everyting! I finally had to dig and dump the pretties that overtook one bed. I saved one and have a couple started in another bed.

I got in what I call my ruthless stage. Actually, it's a reality check. ''No, I don't need 6 of these. These re-seed so take them out now. They'll be back, etc.'' I did get beds a bit ready this spring or I would have had to downsize the lilliput iiris. I re-planted every one, but will ''free pile'' a lot next year. I want a big show next spring. That's the goal. I potted up a few lilies and I imagine the pots will just go in the ground because I don't see a new place to put them yet. Aaarggg!

Will, I think if they wanted it bad enough they could have called the cops and explained it. I am smiling at her fiestiness and the fact that she now had a bridge :o)

That is one sad family. It happens tho. One person ends up with all the responsibility and everyone ends up with their share of the family things. Knowing more about her makes her so much more someone you wnt to protect. Her Daughter is a good person!

Hey, you're never a downer! The wall will look great and so will the plants! It will reflect light nicely!

We have a chance of rain, but it's pretty sunny right now. I was going to walk, but after letting the cat out, I'm cold! I mowed yesterday so I have incentive to get out and move things around!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8816867

Eeek!!
I don't want anybody to have the impression that I really do use her daughter, not at all, I've given her over $7,000 since I've been here, less than 3 years, she just has a protective mother which is normal.
I don't work much but I still have the part-time job that I've had for nearly 2 years in January. By gosh, my W2 even says $14,326 for 2010!
Oh yes, I agree, it's a pretty sad family situation. Yeah, I bet that happens alot, one sibling will do ALL the care for the parent, then when they pass away, here come the other siblings.

I got 6 Lily Tree bulbs planted tonite, actually only 3 were bulbs, the other 3 started out as bulbs but have grown since I got them from Brecks in the Spring shipment. The 3 'Satisfaction' Lily Tree bulbs from Brecks Fall shipment got planted by the clothesline, in the photo. The 3 'Purple Prince' Lil Trees got planted over by my Bamboo trench, 6 Lily Trees for under $7 with shipping isn't bad! Brecks does a great free $25 coupon, I mean totally free, not buy $100 and get $50 worth of plants!

I looked at that Hosta thats in the photo right up there, it's 'Paul's Glory', it's still in a pot, I'm debating whether or not to plant it there, it's so pretty but there might not be enuff room, I don't really want to crowd my shade garden!

Thanks Sally, I tell her that all the time too, thats she's a good person.

Well, the warm streak is over! We are going from a high today of around 82 to a low tomorrow of 47, altho, the low tonite is gonna be 54, the ac is on right now, then at bedtime or so I'll turn the heat back on!

This message was edited Sep 20, 2011 8:31 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8816946

My plants will be coming back in tomorrow. lol. I need to make more room now because while my mom likes them on the stairs my dad doesn't. I just can't win. I have too many anyways but I really don't want to give them up. I like them too much. lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8817461

54/70 Lots of sunshine. Winds W at 15 to 25 mph.

Will, you came at a time when the daughter needed help and you are a nice, good, trustworthy person. She wouldn't have gotten that thru advertising. Plus, you're good company :o)

I look forward to all your Lilies blooming. I hope they do well for you. I've been tempted to give them a try, but I don't mind seeing how others fare.

I love those coupons!!

How big does the Hosta get? Just pull it back from the fence that far so it has a the room it needs to not lay on the fence . Otherwise, I thinks it would look nice. If not, you can still move it while it's small.

ROTFL!! The AC? We've been gathering heat to keep us going for the next few days!!

Pepper, I think you and your Mom win on this one :o) Your Dad gets to rule the yard, you and your Mom get the house :o)

Well, besides that, they did really well and looked very pretty. What else was the space going to be used for?

(Pepper, reruns following so you won't have to read them for the third time, LOL!)

I've been going at it. I got one bed filled in from other beds yesterday and didn't even get a picture yet, LOL! I'm slowly moving daylilies around. Now that's a chunk of dirt! No wonder I had a cramp in each leg last night. Naturally they had to be an hour apart so I had to get up twice, LOL!

I'm real happy with the garage bed tho. It's one of those that just never was quite right. I had tall old fashioned daylilies in it and they ended up in front. I had a mess in the back and, well, it's good to go now!

Then the Rose Bed daylilies got planted farther back. I have two patches of the beautiful blue perennial ageratum that just spread into two large patches. I have no idea where to start putting it. It's just a big blob on both sides. But it is beautiful :o)

I'm putting phlox back in the North Peony Bed and tore out most of the Helianthus. It re-seeds like crazy! That's when I was ruthless :o) They were quite a show, but you can see the bright phlox and I'd like to see that again.

Well, I have a nice chuck roast to get on the fire and peaches to clean the worms out of :o(~

Have a wonderful day everyone!

The old garage bed. I'll take pictures of the new bed later.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8817462

The helianthus over-run in the North Peony

Thumbnail by billyporter

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8817529

Billy, that island bed is beautiful! Can't wait to see a pic of the new garage bed. I haven't done anything to my old beds but hopefully next year I want to tear out the north bed, except for the peonies. That bed has been there probably 17 years and has always been full of weeds and no amount of work has seem to get rid of them. I just need to leave one patch of poppies my Mom gave me and dig up everything else and see if for once I can't get it under control.

Will, I love hostas and that will make a beautiful bed. What tall thing are you putting against the white wall? My shade garden is one of my favorite places.

I did get one plant planted from the barrels where I dug it up from the city. Wish I would of taken a pic cause it looked so funny. I dug it up and just dropped it in a black plastic bag (the roots) and watered it. Then I tied the plastic bag up on the trunk to keep the air out so the roots wouldn't dry. The plant was happy as a lark. Yesterday when I finally got around to planting it, little roots had started to poke out from the tree trunk portion. Look like little porcupine quills, glad I didn't leave it any longer. I am guessing those new roots once exposed to the air will just die off. Mother Nature is just so clever.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8818368

Love that island bed Bp!!!

I have decided that instead of transplanting my magnolia into a bigger pot this fall I will put it in the ground in the same pot. That way it stays warmer and I don't have to worry about it dying on me. lol. I want that tree and I will do what I have to do to keep it. Finally got my gooseberry planted a few days ago also. Now just have the magnolia and a hosta to get in the ground for winter and I am done with all that.

I have new pics but gotta get my downloading system straightened out again so it won't download all the pics on the camera, just new ones.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8818557

Yes, that is a really nice island bed of flowers there, billyp! Wow, all the weeding must take a while! Still though, it'd be worth it. How dedicated you must be to you're plants and stuff. You must be pretty well known there in you're small town for having such nice displays of flowerbeds.

Thanks for all the kind words Sally, I am lucky!

Here is 3 of the Lily Trees, the 3 Purple Princes in the next photo. They are across from the "shade garden"...hehe, I call it that but it's really too small to be a shade garden, it's only 4 and a half feet by 7 feet rectangular.
I shouldn't have any trouble filling it up with plants that's for sure!

Hmmm.. a tall shade plant for going against the wall? I never thought of that, I don't think I have anything for that. Thanks happ, I hope it makes a beautiful bed too.

Tonite, I got 5 more potted plants planted, a Black Hollyhock, 2 'Summer Carnival' Hollyhocks, a Butterfly Bush 'Nanho Blue' from Pepper and 1 of my 2 'Bright Edge' Yucca's.

How big does my Hosta get, billyp? Was that question for me or somebody else, I get confused easy!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8818559

This photo is just further away, but that's the proposed "shade garden" back there and my 3 Purple Prince Lily Trees in the foreground next to my Bamboo trench of kitty litter buckets!
I'm slowly planting all my potted plants!
Will

This message was edited Sep 21, 2011 8:36 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8818598

Will, a good tall shade plant is Ostrich Fern. It will get pretty big if it likes it's home.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8818967

Thanks Happ, it has a lot of blooms and I don't change too much in it.
My Rose Bed was like that. It seems like it was too hot to get in there till late summer and clean the darn thing out. I don't know what changed, LOL, but the obnoxious spurge is gone.
Laughing over your plant survival! What kind of tree is it?

Pepper, thanks!
Bit by bit it all gets done. I've been counting off chores. My big list is getting smaller too :o)
I hope your magnolia survives. I think they even take our zone, but maybe not the prettiest of them. What kind and how tall is it now?

Will, Thanks! The grasses sneaked in and I haven't had time to dig and pull all of them out. I'll just keep plucking away till they are dead.
Actually, yes, and I have three neighbors who have nice beds too. One yard is quite large. Then you have to go to the other end of town to find a couple more largish beds.
Smiling, the size of a postage stamp can be a garden :o)
Those are a nice size in the pots.
You, how big will your hosta against the fence get?
That's going to be a nice bed!! I'd say the more you get in the ground, the better.
The Cardinal Flower likes shade, but can take sun if it's wet. It would look great against the wall and gets 3' tall if happy.

Time to cut and paste :o)

Our peaches aren't the best, but they have been ripening and falling off the tree. I cleaned and froze twelve quarts. There were quite a few worms to remove because it was too windy to ever spray this spring.

Then I went over and picked two dishpans of Jonathan apples off the neighbor's tree. There were a lot of, too small, apples to pick. I picked tomatoes and came in to make a green tomato pie. Then DD called and needed a sitter, so we had all four :o)

I thought this was an especailly pretty Zinnia. I'm going to try to save seeds and hope it comes back true. I'd love to have a row of them!

Thumbnail by billyporter

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8819185

Will guess you don't need a tall plant but just figured you would want to break up the white wall, you could do a tall yard ornament, a hanging pot from one of those staffs that go in the ground, or BillyP had a trellis in her white wall. Just a thought. Love the arrangement of the pots. Like I said my shade garden is my favorite spot. Right now it needs some rain because we sure haven't had much moisture this fall so far, probably need to water, the tree has a tendency to suck up all the moisture anyway.

I can not think of the name of that silly tree/bush plant it is a tropical with pink flowers, will have to see if I can find a pic of it or tonight take a pic of funny roots. Love the zinnas, I have a ton of seeds and maybe next year I will get some winter sowed. I haven't tried that but I have read lots about it.

Still collecting pics of potting benches, watched a video put on by Hazelton on how to build one. Need to watch a few more of those, he had tips on how to cut everything the same length so that will help alot.

Suppose to be a nice weekend.
Crit did you get rain the other day? Our division called up complaining about their phone line, and they only do that if it has rained.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8819957

The magnolia is a good 2 feet tall with 2 branches, so it's nice Y shape. It's in a gallon sized pot right now which will be easy to bury. The cultivar is 'Jane' and cane be a big bush or smallish tree or in some cases get to normal size. lol. Pink blooms. I want to put it in the pot my herbs are in right now but just will wait til spring. That way I know it has a chance of survival. Plants in pots over the winter are iffy for me. I've lost one knockout and one dappled willow bush that were in pots even though I stuck them in a corner, north side of house smack dab against the basement wall and the deck for warmth. Only a little water when extremely dry.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8820033

Hehe! A Hosta by a fence? Sally, I don't have a Hosta by a fence I don't think. That fence looking trellis in an above photo has three 'Satisfaction' Lily Tree bulbs planted by it. I've been wrong before but I can't for the life of me think of a Hosta by a fence. There is Hostas by that silver tin landscape edging, but that edging is only 4 inches tall. The variegated Hosta with the green and white leaves that is pretty striking is called 'Patriot'. I don't recall the mature dimensions of it, but it's not a big one I know. The potted plant in front of the edging is a Coral Bells.

Thanks happ, thats a good idea, if I have room I might do something like an ornament back there. I have several extra double shepard hooks, but I don't know if the soil goes deep enuff to get that in the ground though.
That spot doesn't really have a lot of soil in it, I dumped the dirt there in 2010 after the deck builders left a big pile of dirt near there.

That hardy Rush or bamboo looking water plant you gave me happ is really trying to multiply, it already has 4 or 5 little bamboos coming off of it! I took it out of the water, it's in the pot but it's not supposed to stay in the water over the Winter in the pot is it? It's a neat waterpond addition too, I'd hate to lose it over the Winter.

The Magnolia 'Jane' is a nice one, I want that one myself eventually, it's very pretty.

Yes, nice Zinnias billyp! Thats what I want now is Zinnias!

Home Depot has (or had..lol) bigger grafted Japanese Maples on sale right now for $19.95, like 'Fireglow' and 'Bloodgood', (and a couple other but I can't recall what they were called, maybe Atropurpureum), thats what I think I'm gonna spend the $25 gift card on that I got for my birthday.

Thanks billyp, a lot of my plants in pots are a good size now. I just had to get thru that suspicious-looking-mess-of-pots-stage of them sitting around for years, the cops came to investigate them and everything!
I'm trying to get them all planted this Fall, I planted 10 more plants tonite, 2 Veronica Speedwells, 2 Soapwarts, a big Dwarf Alberta Spruce, 2 Creeping Phloxes, a 'Munstead' Lavender and one other ut the name isn't coming to me!

How about this Speedwell Veronica in this Fish?!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8820034

Heres another view of some plants I'm planting around the waterpond. If anybody sees anything not good, please tell me, I can take it! I don't want to have things be all wrong after they've been there awhile!
I can always dig stuff up if I need to. That Dwarf Alberta Spruce on the side of the left of the photo is planted since the photo, it's now way back there, behind the Japanese Barberry and a little left of it.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8820256

42/64 Sun and clouds mixed. Slight chance of an afternoon shower. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Happ, I love the idea of a hanging plant. It does seem a shame to waste the tall space :o)

I think your potting bench will turn out just fine!

I have to agree that I really like the trellis DH hung for me. It was his idea, to balance out the tall window.

Pepper, I'd never be able to overwinter in a pot unless I bury it. I hope your magnolia makes it. Oooh, I Googled her. How pretty, and down to zone 4! I bookmarked the page to read up on the "little Girl" trees.

My neighbor has beautiful Knock Out roses planted by a landscaping Co. I lost mine. It just dwindled down to nothing. What is our problem?

Will, weren't you digging a hole to put a hosta in? The shovel was stuck in the ground in the photo and you were saying you didn't want to crowd it. You might have switched to talking about another plant and I missed it.

Cracking up over myself. I scrolled back up to just re-read the post and I can't even find it. Let's just say I goofed, LOL!!

Zinnias give a lot back for the price of one package! I'm hoping the plant puts out a lor of seedheads. I'm hoping it also comes true to seed next year. I've never replanted zinnia seed before. Maybe I'll get enough plants going next year to share seed.

The JM would be a good Birthday present!

Isn't it nice to finally find a use for things that have been hanging around. I have a few things like that and next year, I have plans :o)

Love the speedwell in the mouth! I love the fish anyway :o)

Things look fine right now. I like the placement of the shrub.

It's Friday! It's also going to be chilly over the next few days. I hope to get out and keep moving plants.

The new bed that looks simple, but took a few days to plant, LOL! I need two more clematis for the trellis. All the Daylilies are short ones now. I have Lavender Hyssop at the back, magenta Phlox beside it, Siberian Iris in four chunks, fronted by the Daylilies, with two ''Marmalade'' Coral Bells in between. I hope the daylily foliage doesn't cover them.

Thumbnail by billyporter

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8820875

Oh, I think I see what happened Sally. Here is the culprit post I bet! - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8816867
I do have a tendency to skip around like that, really, you're not the first person to say that. My Mom told me once, we can be talking about something and I start talking about something else! It's not that I'm not listening or anything like I only want to talk about what I want, but rather I want to say it before I forget! I do that quite a bit, talk to someone, then think, "dang, I meant to mention this or say that or something!".

Will
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8821148

Will, here is a link to a list of dependable Jap Maples for our zone. http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/japanese-maple-spectrum-seasons?page=0,2

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2011

Post #8821222

That's a beautiful bed that you made billy! Tell you're DH he had a great idea! The trellis there looks fantastic! That's a good idea, I want a trellis against the wall with Clematis on it now! Well, on second thought, there's no sun there, dangit!

Happ, weren't you saying something about the roots of Water Iris? The roots on one are getting big and long! I think in order to get that one out of the pot I'm gonna have to cut the pot, because I don't know if tugging on the plant till it comes out is a good idea at this stage, it has grown like crazy! I was looking for the post where you said that and I couldn't find it. I can't wait to see you're potting bench!

Thanks for the link, Pepper. I kinda decided against the Japanese Maple, that's a good site tho, thanks. I went to Home Depot today thinking I was gonna get one, but logic kinda took hold and I got to thinking, "I really don't have a place to put it". I better stay with smaller trees that don't really have a mature size that needs dealing with. I DID get something there though! I couldn't pass up on a Colorado Blue Spruce 'Globosa'. It looks nice around a water pond and it don't get so big that I need to consider it's mature size. It was half price so not bad there, I had a $25 gift Visa, so I only had to chip in like $1.86, it was $24.99. It's not a bad size, it's still about 3 feet tall. I did see what they had there, the one that I was trying to think of is called 'Emperor One', the others were 'Bloodgood' and 'Fireglow', they are really a good buy, I wish I had room, but even a small tree is getting too big. I could get it but then it's just starting to look crazy! There should be mostly yard I think! I like the picture of the conifer garden at that link - http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/colorful-conifers , although there looks to be stuff there other than conifers, which is good. I'd be broke if everything I had was conifers! I better stay with Conifers on sale and "living Christmas trees". For ex., that Dwarf Alberta Spruce was a little "living Christmas tree" that I bought for $3 back in 2004 I think, it's now a decent size so I can bring it out!
I might actually be getting a 'Jane' Magnolia, it stays pretty small, the flowers are real nice, it's also a good indication that Spring has arrived when it blooms!
The photo is it before I planted the 'Globosa', it was getting dark, all the photos were blurry. Even this one is blurry but not as blurry as the others. I'll put the planted one in the next post, it got dark fast for that one! After I took the photo I straightened it up, it's leaning pretty good to the right in the photo. Thats the other blue fish, it has yet another Speedwell Veronica in it! I hope that 'Globosa' isn't too close to the Banana or anything.
Does it look too close to anybody else?

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2011

Post #8821223

Here it is, it's pretty dark. A friend of mine has about a 10 year old one and it's about 5 or 6 feet in diameter now, I hope mine's not too close to anything. I'm not averse to digging it up and replanting it if I should.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8821628

Will, that's the one, LOL! I could have sworn the shovel was upright, ready to dig, but I think that was another photo too.
I'm also guilty of skipping around! Like you, I don't want to forget it.

The trellis on the garage is shaded most of the day, so I planted a ''Clair de Lune'' Clematis. They can take the shade. For me, one isn't enough, and it really could use more sun. Which it might get if the neighbor's take out the walnut tree. I think it has one main stem now. I need to prune, but need to find which one it is. I hope I can take it all the way to the ground and start over.

The Blue Spruce sounds like a nice choice and will stay green all winter!

I don't know bananas, but I think the spruce looks like it's in a good spot.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8821694

Morning all, you guys have been busy! Not me...rofl. Maybe today I can get with it for awhile. Got lots to do, everything is really dry up here. Need to get plants ready for a couple of plant swaps I am into for mailing on Monday, and still lots to plant. My nephew came up and helped us pour some concrete and he mowed for me so I don't have that hanging over me...yes!

Billy love the new garden planted and that big plant in the back. It is always fun to watch the changes.

Will I was telling you probably about my water iris was on my waterfall just sitting not planted. One winter I forgot to bring it down into the water after I turned off the waterfall and figured it had frozen since the roots were out in the open, but I didn't lose in it. In fact it sat there for probably 4 or 5 years like that...rofl. You probably won't be able to get it out of the pot without cutting the pot, once the roots come out the bottom it is pretty much stuck unless they are just out a wee bit.

Went to friends and picked apples yesterday. She probably has 80 apple trees, she even is letting me use her apple peeler. It is the coolest thing. I am going to try making some apple sauce and then some pies for the freezer. She said you can freeze the apple sauce also, which is easier than canning and not as expensive cause I won't have to buy jars and stuff. Gonna have to find some receipes tho. Love apple butter but probably have to can to have it.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8822574

Happ, homemade applesauce and apple butter sound so good right now!!! YUM!!!

I was supposed to go to a mud run tonight but skipped out. I overdid it at work yesterday when I redid 2 displays and then had to put up our truck today. The displays were canned tomatoes on one then the other one I had to take down some beans and put up some Ragu spagetti sauce. A case of that weighs a good 10 pounds probably. I decided that sitting on hard wooden benches wasn't gonna help me any so skipped out. Wish I could say I got planting done instead!! lol

I need to get my pics downloaded. Gonna try that now and see if it works right.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8822609

Got my pics on here finally!!

Huerchera Villosa 'Tiramisu' It better come back next year bigger and better than ever or I will never buy another!! lol.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2011

Post #8822614

Can't post pics. Internet Explorer says something about connection problems. Try a plain post with no pics.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2011

Post #8822615

I'll do pic tomorrow.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8822648

Making you're own apple-sauce and apple-butter and pies! It all sounds good, I bet it's some work, that would be worth it!

Thanks billyp, I think the Banana plant might be okay with the Spruce but I don't know about that clothesline trellis now! I think I might need to get my trusty pruners out someday and shape that Spruce like a hubcap, well maybe I'm thinking of a wheel rim you know without the tire! lol I planted a few more things lately, a big red Lily from Pepper, a Dwarf Alberta Spruce, that started out as a "living Christmas tree" back in the day and another pot of Black Hollyhocks from seeds from Seedrack.com.

Heres that Water Iris! How about some roots! I took the one on the right out of the water to show the roots. That's the one that's been submerged in the water since I got it from Happ, 2 or 3 months ago. The other one that's still in the water isn't nearly as big, it didn't grow nearly as fast because I didn't put it in the water until much later, they definitely like lots of water! The one with all the roots fell over 4 or 5 times in the water and nearly all the soil came out, there might be a little soil left, not much, it thrives without soil I saw too. I checked to see if it was in a thin plastic pot, it is, so it won't be any trouble cutting it out. I have a tendency to save the thick plastic pots more often, but I realize now that they are gonna be difficult to cut thru if I need to, I'll hafta get out my tinsnips on those.

I got 2 Speedwell fishes!

That's nice by you're garage billy, a lot of work. Just curious, what is that tall plant by the garage window or is that the Clematis? Sorry if you said, I get confused easy! : )
Eeeek! Pouring concrete, that's some nasty work! In Texas I had a job doing that for 6 months!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2011

Post #8822649

This is an even wider view of all my junk! Hehe! I'm slowly dwindling down the clutter!
Don't mind the Pizza box in the trash, I was trying to get all the way to the left to show my 'Bright Edge' Yucca and the purple Lilac.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2011

Post #8822650

Okay Pepper, I like Coral Bells, I have several. I'm afraid the 2 that I got from you didn't like something and they expired, they were called 'Marble' something, they were the only ones out of them all that died.
I liked them too, they woulda been a really colorful addition. The five I have are 3 purple ones, 1 'Plum Pudding' and 2 'Palace Purple's, (I think is the names) and 2 light green chartreuse colored ones, they are nice too.
I have been given the go-ahead to try this unused black composter thing as an inground barrier pot of sorts for the Bamboo that I've been raving about! I called the lady today and left a message, I'm gonna get some if she'll give me some, which I'm pretty sure she will, she has been disposing of it. That's the black composter thing in the background of the photo, I forgot I don't have a photo of the black thing by itself. I had put another bag of soil around that Japanese Maple, I think I'd gouge out my eyeballs if my funny mound planting caused the JM's roots to come to the surface!
Will

This message was edited Sep 28, 2011 10:27 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2011

Post #8822651

Here's a shot of some stuff that I've been planting, geez, I hope it looks better than this next year! The Red Lily, the Black Hollyhock and the Dwarf Alberta Spruce that I planted all recently, are in the photo.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8822672

All the coral bells I planted this year are still alive. Not any bigger but alive. Your purples should survive. I've heard alot of people say that it has survived for them.

Your yard is starting to come together!! Slowly but surely.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8822798

Thanks Pepper! I'm actually looking forward to getting the yard-work down to a manageable level. I suppose I'm up for the challenge, what better way to piddle! Last year those 5 Heuchera's overwintered in the attached garage. I would love to let them overwinter outside this year, with all those pots in the garage it is nearly impossible to walk around in there. I hope to at least get them in the ground before Winter, so they have a better chance of survival outside. I've got so many decisions to make on all my remaining potted plants soon, I think my head is going to explode! I don't want any to just sit around, that looks so nasty! They deserve to be planted I guess, they've been sitting around for so many years!
Here is an old photo of that sitting around part! Isn't that just precious?! That's what I'd like to avoid! It's like a collecting lifestyle trait or something! It's funny, I had all those potted plants back then, but I rented that little house, I had nowhere to plant any of it! I did gain quite a bit of propagating, planting and growing experience from all that I suppose! I'm lucky now, my friend is letting me plant my collection in her backyard! She says her house is my house, so I guess I am taking it literally, haha, she pays the mortgage, I'm really not trying to lay claim on her house..lol! Altho, I tell her all the time that I think she is forgetting that I own her, maybe that includes the house too! All kidding aside, I am fortunate and honored to plant my stuff in her yard. Do you recognize the Pine tree in the background of this photo? It's my prized Dwarf Eastern White Pine 'Nana'. I'd had it for less than a year in this photo. It's in that "wider view" photo up there in the decorative big white planter.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8823109

I am like you Will with a ton left to plant that I know won't make it in the ground this year. It was too hot his summer tand gardens aren't ready and with our weather being a month off, I figured Oct is going to be like Nov! It could warm back up a tad and I wouldn't mind. You can't hurt those iris, so just try yanking it out of the pot, they are tough as nails honest. The hardest thing in a water garden is keeping the pots upright, it makes me crazy. I have tried all the tricks, rocks in the bottom of the pot and so on and so on. The only thing that works for me, is taking wire, making two holes in the side of the pot, running the wire thru those holes and then taking the ends of the wire and sitting one of the rocks on the edge of the pond ontop of the ends of the wire. I think that plant in the back of Billys planting is Lavender Hyssop (I am sure I misspelled that)

Someone gave me hollyhocks and if your black is a hybrid, it will reseed everywhere and NOT come back true to color. Atleast that is what has happened to my hollyhock that was given to me. Mine get about 6 feet tall!

I think some of those hybrid coral bells are alot harder to grow than the "normal" ones. I am going to have to water the shade garden this morning it is so dry up here and the tree is sucking every ounce of moisture out of the ground. We haven't had any measureable rain in forever up here and don't see any in the forecast. That one weekend it was misty cold and cloudy but no real rain came from it up here.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8823314

That's alright if the Hollyhocks don't come back true to color, I like the regular maroon ones anyway. I also have some 'Summer Carnival' Hollyhocks that are also coming up from seed, I hope I see the nice colors on them also at least one year. If they do alot of seeding that's okay, I like Hollyhocks. Yeah, it is DRY. I took about a half hour and went around with a watering can watering stuff again yesterday.
Thanks for the tip on keeping waterborne pots upright happ! I'll try anything. I think a stray cat gets in there and knocks stuff over. It's funny, whatever it is hasn't been getting in there for a couple months, the water is probably too cold now..lol! I'll try yanking that Iris first, it'd be nice if it comes out that way.
Lavender Hyssop eh? It's a nice plant.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8824407

Happ, it's hard to do plants when the ground is so dry. I am hoping we get the rain today. that's been drying up before it gets here.

What a great nephew!

The big plant is a Lavender Hyssop, and I moved it that big, LOL! It's the largest I've ever seen one get. It has beautiful bright lavender blooms and the bees adore it! There are now four on that wall, spaced with a phlox between them. The leaves are scented.

80 trees. I'd be in apple Heaven!!

Nope, Apple butter can be frozen too!

Pepper, I'll bet the displays look great and yes the benches would not have felt too good. The planting will get done. It always does, LOL! Dad gave me onion sets from the Walking onion and I just planted them today. I dumped the rest of the tiny one's on the compost pile and you can bet all of them will grow!

Cracking up!! I know the picture finally worked because I saw it on ''Weather'' today. It's pretty!!

Will, those are some roots! I'd sacrifice the pot.

You're whittling down the pots that need planted out. Think of how nice it will look next Spring :o)

The clematis is on the trellis. The window plant is Lavender Hyssop. I started it from seed. It's perennial and will reseed. It's the agastache family.

Pouring cement is a lot of work and unless you get the brooming, it's a lot of grunt work.

Casey's pizza is pretty good :o)

It's going to look good back there!

We may get some rain today. I'm 'a hoping!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8825690

I cut that Water Iris out, it came out easy. While I was out there I filled the thing back up with water that the 2 Water Irises are sitting in, they like water, I hope they like ice as well! See that thing that I made that all the scraps of lumber is now sitting in?

Thanks billyp, I hope all the Fall planting looks nicer in the Spring!

I like Hyssop, I want Hyssop! I've never had Casey's pizza, we like the $10 a large pizza Pizza Hut deal! I like pizzas with alot of Mushrooms on it!

Ima hoping on rain too! They said on the news we are over 2/3 short of the average rainfall for Sept.

Yeah, I remember the brooming part of the job, you just stand there and drag a big pushbroom over the wet cement surface to get the dried nonslip surface effect! That was my Dad's business, he really knew his stuff in concrete, in TX. him and me worked together doing it. Here, there is a shopping district called Zona Rosa, he poured all the concrete for the floors in all those businesses, it was a big job for his business.
Unfortunately, his money controller employee was taking the money for herself, it cost him the business. It's pretty sad how that all took place, it was his lifelong aspiration to be self-employed, he just hired a dishonest controller of the contracts and the money, he placed too much trust in her, then he passed away less than 2 years after that. He tried a lot of businesses (even inventions) that failed before that, stuff like Amway and selling water filters etc.

There I go, getting all off the subject!

Okay Pepper, where's that pic at?!
Will

This message was edited Sep 26, 2011 8:12 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8826187

Will, now how on earth did I skip over all the pictures above?

The JM looks good! It's really going to be a nice tree.

I had to laugh at all those pots. Wow, sat there for years. I bury all pots for fear of losing stuff and you just have everything surive :o)

Your friend is lucky to have someone who can beautify for her :o) When you are ''done'' and we never are, she's really going to love the transformation.

"Hope they like ice." Laughing, me too!

That looks just like the Casey pizza box. It's a gas stastion, but the pizzas are put together and cooked there. Usually you can run up in about 20 minutes and pick it up hot.

Oh Will, I am so sorry for your Dad. I despise dishonest people! It's a shame he passed away so soon after. At least you grew up working with him when it counted the most.

Nice roots :o)

We got our rain and may get more today! It was wonderful. I even went out in it to bring in the recycle bin. (Garbage day was yesterday.) I took the time to clean up my computer. I rad things I bookmarked and deleted a bunch of stuff. Now photos are gaining on me again. I NEED another rainy day :o)

Lavender Hyssop, new and older.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8826189

Older. This is how Agastaches do towards Fall. They have just a few tiny blooms, but are a draw no matter how many they have.

Thumbnail by billyporter

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2011
9:48 PM

Post #8827390

Thanks billyp, I hope that Japanese Maple is a good asset for the landscaping back there that I plan, maybe she can get some of that $200 back out of it in viewing pleasure!!

Oh, sorry billyp, those aren't the same potted plants by probably 95%. I moved 4 times since that photo was taken, a lot of that stuff had to be disposed of, there was no way I could keep that much stuff! I was lucky to keep the shirt on my back and pots wouldn't fit on my back, I tried! I needed to get rid of that stuff quick, back then, my Grandma was my landlady and she passed away when I had that collection of pots. I was all in a tizzy, I was like, "oh boy, I think I'm in trouble, what do I do now?", and that was confirmed, I was soon subtly given notice to hit the Hushpuppy Highway by the relative heirs then! I landed on my feet tho, those relatives and me don't speak anymore unfortunately. If there is a piece of advice I can give to anybody, it is make great friends in you're life, you might need them!

Everything I'd leave out like that was hardy tree seedlings and stuff that I had no worries about the cold hardiness. I remember there was always stuff tho that didn't make it thru the Winter, that's quite a bit to ask even of "hardy" plants when they're just in pots.

Yeah, my Father got a raw business deal, it just goes to show, do research on employees in that kind of control and be a part of handling the money. I remember he "asked" for money for stuff and she'd have to approve it, it was his money but it was probably in her bank account! It doesn't matter how good of a friend you think they are, all this lady saw was dollar signs! He had to fold up, after the poo hit the fan, there was no way to pay the employees, the debtors, the equipment costs or anything, she had taken ALL the money. She was like Bernie Madoff in a way, she just didn't care, it was all a facade.

There is quite a few Casey's General stores here too. I've had quite a bit of they're gas but not they're pizza. I used to try to go to this one Casey's, it was always like a penny cheaper a gallon of gas!

Oh, you got some rain eh billyp?! It keeps clouding up here and looking like rain every now and then, but it never rains!!

That Hyssop is nice, I really like the Butterfly on it too!

Go little Witch Hazel! Look at it, reaching for the sky!!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2011
3:31 AM

Post #8827447

Will, I see, all those were at the old place. Gee, they sure didn't give you much time to get situated. I think I wouldn't be talking to them either.

She will get hers in the end. I hate crooks!

We get pretty good pizza here. When they first opened up, the pizzas were larger and had more crust around the edges. It's still good tho. I try to make my own. I buy a block of mozzerella and shred it myself. It's isn't quite as salty, but still melts and strings.

We went thru that ''looking like rain'' for a few days and finally got it.

That's a nice looking tree. It should really take off next spring!

Yesterday turned out pretty nice. I started with long sleeves and a coat and was able to shed the coat. I pulled a lot of little weeds and cut stems to save seeeds of the usuals I don't want to lose. It felt good to clean up another bed.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8828466

Sorry guys!! Internet went out on Sunday and I just got it back a few hours ago finally. I can finally post that pic on this thread. lol

I got a ton of planting done today. 2 mums, 16 tulips, 4 daffodils and 6 hyanciths. Gonna be a nice display this spring!!

I LOVE Casey's pizza!!! We always get beef and mushroom. Soooo good!!!

Huerchera Villosa 'Tiramisu'

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8828537

Thanks Sally, I too hope the Witch Hazel does me proud! It better or I might need to get a 36 cent refund for Pete's Sake! I need it to find the underground river that I know is in the backyard! I've been reading up on dowsing!

I wonder if that Coral Bells is named after the dessert at Olive Garden or vice versa? - http://www.heavenlytiramisu.com/rcp-306.htm Tiramisu is my Grandpa's favorite dessert there!
I bet it's an italian word for something! That's alot of stuff you got planted there, Pepper.
I only got 2 things planted today, but they were pretty big, a Forsythia that I've had for years and the last of the 6 Banana 'Basjoo's that I bought this year. In this photo, that's the Forsythia in that pink pot before I planted it. After I planted those it was too dark for a photo. I have plans for the big ditch-lily clump in that photo from happ, by the little wooden bridge, after I get the bridge secured so that it doesn't float away and just leave the ditch-lilies sitting there!

I was looking at labels on some of my shade plants, trying to come up with a taller one or ones to go in the back of my proposed shade garden, against the wall, the 2 Ligularia's that I got from Pepper say they get up to 40" tall. And they thrive in the shade, they look as happy as larks, they've been in the shade ever since I got them! I have 2 Ligularia's now to put in the back of the shade garden!

Do you see the purple Lilac between the spare tire and the black pot? That thing started out small, I tried to give that thing plenty of room, it says 10 feet in diameter! I'm gonna be moving out all that stuff around it, like the ladder, spare tire, board, fence and pots.
I hope you guys like exclamation points! Haha! And there's my 'Bright Edge' Yucca all the way over to the left in the photo. Pepper'd recognize the other 3 plants in the front, I got them from her, they are from left to right a small Cardinal Plant, a Lavender 'Munstead' and all the way to the right front is a Soapwort. Behind the Soapwort and a little left is a Hydrangea 'Mini Penny'. Behind that is some Black and 'Summer Carnival' Hollyhocks that I grew from seed, in the very back is that Dwarf Alberta Spruce that is finally big enuff to have out in public! It started out as a "Living Christmas Tree" about 6 years ago, and thus, quite small then! Out of sight is a Japanese Barberry of some variety, I don't have the label for it. And also out of sight on the right is a red Lily clump from Pepper. I'll probably wait to plant that Iris in the photo, I'm not worried about them overwintering in pots, they already have one year. I need to find a sunny spot for them so they flower good, they will make a nice addition too, thanks Imames. Where'd that Ima go? She's a nice lady too.
And that concrete frog, what can I say about it?! It's just an embarrassment! I need to put that chipped up concrete frog out of sight! I'll have a better idea of what else I can plant after some of those plants start growing and reaching they're mature sizes. I would like to avoid crowding a bunch together then having to dig them up later because of that!
Will

This message was edited Sep 28, 2011 8:53 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8828545

I also put all my potted perennials in the garden to overwinter. lol. Since it's loose dirt it was easy to dig in. lol. 2 pots of buttefly weed, a hydranga, a magnolia, a hosta and an autumn fern.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8828833

Pepper, I get sooo mad at the internet!! I read that only the larger cities will ever get the best speeds. It's too expensive to let us small towns and boonies have it. It's not fair, if that's what is going to happen. The farther into the century we get the more we take a step back.

It feels so good to get all those things done. I can't wait to see what is big enough to bloom next year!

This is similar to Marmalade. I really like these colors, but they are touchy. I lost Peach Flambe. I'm just waiting to keep dividing the one I have. I love the colors tho!

Will, smirking over the 36 cents {:o) Yeah, and isn't Witch Hazel used in dowsing?

That sounds mighty good! I haven't had breakfast yet and I might have to now. (I did.)

Getting big things planted is a big thing! Laughing over the thought that the neighbors may get a bridge back!

The Rocket will get tall, and are a nice yellow for a backdrop. Eventually, they can be divided too.

The lilac can be pruned, but it will be worth the scent in the spring!

The rest of the plants look great! I can't wait to see all of them with a little size to them.

Put the frog under foliage so you can only see some of it, or, take it to Goodwill, in a sack, set it down, knock, and run :o)

I've been thinking of ImaMes too. I know how hard it is to come back when you've had to walk away and get busy.

Pepper, loose dirt, what a luxery! The butterfly weed is going to want to put out a deep taproot. You might want to plant it out now.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8829802

Boy, I hate to put that Tropicanna away for the year, it's so pretty. Yeah, the internet can be maddening when it doesn't work. There's nothing more frustrating than repeatedly getting that "web page unavailable"
screen or the one that it always says when it's not getting on the internet! Haha! They won't get the bridge back! Those neighbors are long gone. They are "upstream" anyway, nothing would ever even potentially float into they're yard. If that bridge were to float away, it would be in the other neighbor's yard and they're nice.

Haha, I wouldn't really get a .36 refund! I was just being sarcastic! That's $8 divided by the bundle of 25! Now, if it was more than a dollar, then I'd have to think about it! Yeah, Witch Hazel is the dowsing rod!
I read that's why they have witch in the name in some places!

Here's another pretty wide shot of the backyard and stuff! I try to get "before" photos out there because I plan on really tidying it up. Don't mind the air compressor and tank, I was just airing some stuff up, but I put my tools and stuff up out of the weather. That'll be a big relief to see those plants get some size to them and be flourishing, I can't wait!

Haha! Yeah, I might do that to the frog, it looked better back in the day when it wasn't all chipped up and the paint was fresh.

That's a nice Heuchera, Pepper. I wish mine would get the full size leaves on them, but they're not old enuff yet.
Yeah, loose dirt is nice when you can get it! I wish dirt was always as loose as it is in that commercial for the Garden Weasel!

Will

This message was edited Sep 29, 2011 7:47 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8829872

I want to wait on the buttefly weed til spring beacuse the bed I want to put it in is gonna get redone. It hasn't turned out the way I want it so I'm moving stuff around and ripping out others in there. My Queen Elisabeth might be gone this spring too. It has never bloomed for me and has struggled because I cut it back way to far a couple years ago and have paid the price since. Westerland will go in it's place if I can't get it to improve.

The huechera in the pic I bought at that size. lol. It's the only one I have that is a decent size. The others are 6 inches across or less.

One of the cannas blooming. The other one is buried under my switchgrass. lol. I'm leaving them out til frost hits. Same for elephant ears.

Thumbnail by pepper23

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8830446

You know Pepper it is so hard for me to redo a flower bed for some reason, but my north one I just need to get whipped into shape, I don't think I have ever liked it but every year for YEARS I have let it go and just keep planting in it thinking somehow it is going to grow on me and every year I like it less, to the point except in early spring I don't even look at it, now that is bad. It could really be something if I would of just redid it 15 years ago or so.

Still have apples to get frozen, I should of had them done by now, but every night something has been going on and it has been so late when I get home. That is first on my list for Saturday, which is not what I want to be doing but as the saying goes,
"The hardest thing to learn is to do the thing that needs to be done, when it needs to be done, rather you like it or not!"
I hate sayings...rofl.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2011

Post #8830481

Well, I went and cabbaged onto some of a friend's Bamboo today! Some portly hooligan stepped in front of the camera, I guess he wanted to be in the shot! Okay, that's me, I forgot a shirt and my keys! It was cool and I was just in a big hurry, I turned around after I closed the front door and I was locked out! I had to get the car key from underneath the car.
Does anybody have any idea what kind of bamboo it is?
It was more rampant in her yard than I thought, it was everywhere. What I got were just pieces of runners, I hope they live, there's no soil in them even.
I got a big black plastic tub to put them in, I'm wondering if I should use the part of the tub that has a bottom or the other part that is bigger but doesn't have a bottom, just sides.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2011

Post #8830482

Here's a closer pic of the bamboo pole.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8830483

This is all I got, 4 pieces of runners. The other bucket was just soil to fill the holes up, but as it turned out there weren't any holes!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8830689

Personally I would put it in a solid steel container with no holes minimum planter size 6 feet deep, surrounded by a concrete casing with no holes, follwed by lead casing with no holes, buried 4 feet deep with 2 feet of containers sticking out of the ground so the runners can't jump over the sides...rofl...
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8830732

Holy bat container!! That'd be quite an unescapable container there, I think you forgot the padlock, happ!! lol Hmmm.. I don't think I can come up with all that, but I can have it above the ground!
When I asked her how long until a little runner like I got would be big, she showed me some she said was just from this year and it was about ten feet tall! The tallest she said was just 2 years old!

That's another stand of it that came up it appeared about ten feet from the main grove (in the photo). It does seem to be as bad as they say. It appeared to be running AWAY from her house though, which is good.
The bad thing is it was heading for all the neighbor's yards except on one side. I think she has her a genuine problem on her hands. It was in the fence in a big way on one side. Ironically enuff, she says those neighbors told her they like it because it provides privacy for them. She said it's some young guys who are roommates, they probably party and carry on back there (she didn't say they party up, I'm just guessing they do)!

I went to Kmart today to look for paint and I can't believe they stopped selling those 1 gallon housepaint cans! I want to paint a red shed green!
Will

This message was edited Sep 30, 2011 3:56 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8830741

Will, upstream :o)

I have no doubt you will pull the yard together. It's all minor ''messes'' anyway. The plants look good tho!

Oh yeah, they make the Weasel look like a good tool, but I know my dirt. I know a small rototiller isn't what I need either!

Pepper, comes a time to thorwo out a few things. I do that too.

It's a healthy looking Canna and I love the bright bloom. Someday I'll have to find a place for one. I like the varigated leaves and orange ones right now :o)

Happ, I so hear you. That was the case with the bed I just re-did along the garage. It all starts with moving things out and having an idea of what is completely new to fill back in with.

ROTFL!! I hate sayings that apply!!

Will, CRACKING UP!!

Good picture of you!

I am at a loss whan it comes to bamboo. It looks nice and big tho! Those are probably all you need if they ran all over her place. They look good.

I'm with Happ, LOL!!

At least it will make a fast wall. I think anyone appreciates a neighbor's attempts at a privacy wall. I know I wouldn't mind any neighbor putting up hedges or a fence.

A green shed sounds nice. I hope you find paint somewhere.

Well, almost time to get the Grandkids. See everyone tomorrow!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8830973

Will, Walmart has the best paint. Get their brand. My dad would rather use that than Home Depot or Lowes paint.

I think happ has the right idea for the bamboo. LOL!!! Yeah, make sure when you plant it, it can't escape into the yard or you will have a major problem on your hands. Make sure that it can't escape into the yard in any way. Whatever you put it in make sure there are no holes of anysize. Otherwise kiss that yard goodbye!! lol

I need to take a pic of that bed I want to redo. I need to make the dirt better too so a few bags of topsoil and compost will go a long ways towards making my bed more welcoming for my plants. lol. I have tall plants in the front, short ones on the sides and it just looks terrible. lol.

Here we go. I already took a pic of the bed. lol. I told you it looks terrible!! LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8831051

A good picture of me eh?! I don't think I'll be auditioning for any hand modeling jobs!! Haha!!
Dang, you guys are some anti-running-Bamboo folks! I made 6 pots of Bamboo out of the 4 I got, I cut 2 of the bigger ones in half so they'd fit in the pots. I wanted to get them in pots before they dried out.
I don't think I'll have any trouble containing these Bamboos. I might even have them mostly above ground in the big open bottomed container, that I'd close off the bottom and make it mostly above ground.
In the other one it'd be easier because it's entirely closed up. They both will probably be above ground so I can have them under control somewhat when the plastic breaks down or cracks or something.
In the photo is the 6, 4 in the bucket and the other 2 next to it.

I'll check out the Walmart paint. I might have to settle for painting it this Redwood Latex stain, that I've been kicking around for a few years. I remember I bought it back in the day because it was only $4.99!
To get green paint, it occurred to me that that would likely be a mix, which means $. I'm thinking to get a gallon of green paint I'll need to come up with about $20 or $25, which isn't synonymous with being frugal!

Thanks billyp, I hope the minor messes clean up fast!

Tonite, I also got 3 'Duke' Blueberry bushes planted.

The elderly lady here is funny again today. Apparently, somebody said they'd pray for her. She tells me, "They better get down on their own freaking knees and pray for their self!"! She tells me, "I don't think you can find a box with a toilet in it for $150!"!

That bed doesn't look too bad Pepper, maybe 20 minutes and you'll have it looking top-notch! Do you want some Bamboo by that foundation?!

Have a good time with you're grandkids, Sally!
I like the saying, "Nice guys finish last!"!
Will

This message was edited Sep 30, 2011 9:00 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2011

Post #8831114

Bamboo isn't allowed here. LOL. I am surrounded by pasture and woods and don't need it to escape. lol.

As for the paint, maybe try food coloring. lol. I don't know if it would work or not though.

That bed is a mess!! Everything is flopping over, I can't tell in some spots what's weeds and what's not and I need to move stuff around. That rose is still growing but barely. And no blooms!! Grrrr... lol. That sedum won't go away either. I keep pulling it but it always comes back so I need to just make a nice spot for it in there. lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2011
4:01 AM

Post #8831333

Pepper, ROTFL!! That is a wonderful little bed to work with! Is it sunny? I see a rose, so it must be. It could be all annuals like celosia or snapdragons all summer. My neighbor had both and I had envy! Planting a lot is the key!

Will, smiling over the hand modeling. You can do ''what's behind the curtain, or, wall of bamboo!"

That is a dilema isn't it. Paint is not cheap! You could browse the colors and chose a second best color.

Gotta smile over the praying but I gotta argue about the toilet!

ROTFL&L over the bamboo offer!!

Those are going to turn into nice bamboo plants!

Move the sedum under the shrub. I can't believe it's so hard to get rid of. It's perfect for late bees, wasps and flies so I'd keep it. I do think better dirt is going to make a difference. Turn the bed good before you top it off, just to mix the old dirt up a little. If the rose is a bust, I'd consider digging it out. It might not have a good root system. Sometimes I can't believe how poor they are.

We got the Grandkids. My Granddaughter fell asleep when I was holding her last night. I asked DD if she was just comfortable, or asleep. Asleep. It was an awww moment, but we had to leave and I had to lay her down :o(

Our overnight 38* turned into 40*. I'm glad. I have apples and peaches on the porch and need to work with them. I also have the rest of the red tomatoes and a bowl of green out there. This frost business is coming close!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8832081

It is mostly sunny. It gets some shade off and on since there are a million trees around but since it's on the north side it gets more sun. The dirt in there is from our road. lol. Not good dirt!! My dad figured since plants seem to thrive along the roads then it must be good dirt!! Joke's on him. lol. Next year it will be my project. lol. It faces the road so I have no choice. It's an embarrasment!! LOL.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8832443

Pepper, you would think it made sense, LOL!

Take out all the stuff you don't want and the job will be easier come Spring.

The boys go home today and I'm hoping the weather liars don't take back my nice week!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8832828

I think I'm going to try food coloring or Rit dye in a cheap gallon of paint. Thanks for the idea Pepper! Hey, it can't look any worse than it does now. I don't think it's had a coat of paint in a while, a long while!
That's it on the left of the photo - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8804058

Oh, I forgot to say thanks for the compliment on my pic, Sally. But really, isn't that pic kind of appalling?!

I watched the movie Tron last nite. It's a crazy movie! I remember the game from like 1982. I never played it much, I kinda thought it was dumb and complicated, but so was I, but I wasn't complicated! But, my brother always played it. It's really a neat movie! It even kinda makes sense in a crazy, fantasy kinda way! I remember my brother always played it and I played Galaga on the other side from there, here in Independence, MO. I always wondered about that company "Encom" that was so big back then and seemed to be on so many popular arcade games as the maker. I never really wanted to see Tron at the movies, I remember being a little turned off that Jeff Bridges did this one so close to Crazyheart and True Grit, but I can understand, I wouldn't turn down the roles in either of those movies, they are both excellent.

Is anybody gonna make an Oct. thread? I'll do it if nobody else does.

Pepper, I bet you can turn that bed into a work of art with some elbow grease! I do alot of elbow grease because it's free!

Ooooh thanks billyp! I like "And over here we have Bamboo" with my arm and hand raised high in declaration! Thanks, I hope those turn into nice Bamboo plants, I'll be the envy of everyone for miles!

Do they really make livable boxes with toilets in them for $150 a month is prolly what she meant, (altho I pay more than that now by gosh, and my friend throws in food, tv and internet!)?!

They say highs in the 80's Mon, Tues. and Wed., we'll see too!

I like that BirdsEye frozen vegetables commercial that has snow all around and the workers are wearing snowshoes and the tractor has a ski in the front instead of a wheel! All the mild weather vegetables and stuff seem to be thriving in the cold! It makes me actually want to buy the stuff from a commercial, although I doubt if I will!

Will

This message was edited Oct 9, 2011 3:26 AM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 2, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8833192

Link to new month's thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223453/
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8833195

Oops, thanks Bernie. : )

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America