Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Saying goodby to an old friend

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 7, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

September 1, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8789609

We had to put down Quackers the duck today. A dog my son and daughter in law savaged him yesterday and we found him today. Too much damage for an old duck to recover from, so we put him down'

Quackers came to us over 7 years ago when he was found abandoned in an empty apartment. It was mid January and there was no heat. The people knew they were being evicted, so skipped out in the middle of the night sometime in the weeks before he was found locked in the bathroom. He had eaten whatever birdseed was left in a bag on the floor. He had drunk all the water from the toilet. There was still water in the tub, but he could not reach it. It was estimated that he had been in there at least two weeks.

When he was brought to me, he was so filthy that we could not be sure he was a white Pekin. Even though full grown, he weighed barely a pound. I wasn't sure he would survive. I washed him and wrapped him in warm towels, I dribbled pedialyte into his bill and later fine gruel. After a day or so, he could stand and began eating on his own. He never slowed down. He made sure he would never be hungry again.

When spring came he moved outside and became king of the yard. He was absolutely beautiful. That May, the feed store gave me an extra duck that was tossed into a box of chicks as a "warmer". She grew into a fine Aconna and the became inseparable mates. They raised 17 ducklings their first year. As time went on he added a rouen to his harem and when "Momduck" was lost, she was replaced by another snow white pekin. We raised many fine ducks from the group over the years. With all the wild ducks that I raised and released from this year, Quackers always made sure they knew that he was boss.

It was a sad end for such an elderly gentleman and not what I hoped for him, but it seems that few poultry get to die peacefully in their sleep. At least his life was ended with loving hands.

I believe that when an animal dies, they go back to the "One" spirit that mad and governs all. I believe that they return again and again in another form. I hope however Quackers returns, he will remember he was once a beautiful white duck and was loved...loved very much.

Goodnight Quackers, old man. I'll miss you.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2011
12:34 AM

Post #8789714

oh how sad. I am so sorry for him. I hope you gave the dog the steel toe of a boot in its hind end
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2011
3:14 AM

Post #8789747

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. Being a recent duck mom I can only imagine how sad you are, mine are very much a part of my heart in this very short time.
Peace to you, Quackers. There's surely a place for ducks in whatever comes after.
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

September 2, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8789917

Sorry to hear about your duck, it isn't easy to say goodbye to any pet but especially hard when they touch your heart so much. And what a story of how you got him, brings tears to the eyes.
We have a duck named Quackers too and he was a rescue duck as well, though he didn't go through what yours did, he was a baby when we got him.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8789975

Sorry to hear about losing your duck...You gave him a good life and didn't die not knowing what a loving family was.
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8791325

What a sad story. I'm so sorry for your loss.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8792043

So sorry...glad you had him for so long and gave him a good life...

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8792640

(((( :..( ))))))))

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America