Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Homesteading: starting to cool off on the September Homestead

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 155, Views: 1,037
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8789801

we came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1203762/#new

This weekend I am hosting all of Debbies Daughters, the husbands, and all the grandkids. It ought to be interesting if nothing else. I built the barbeque yesterday when I got off of work and I have steaks and a few other things marinating in Nik's famous recipe marinate. Deb and I decided that if we are still doing well on Labour day 2012 that we will start making plans to get spliced in the spring. I said I'd never do that again!!

No pickled corn or beans, though; she might try to feed them to me. yeech!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8789909

Thanks for starting the new thread.

Wish you and Deb well. It really does sound like she's a keeper, though, so maybe you ought to compromise on the corn and beans. Never know, your tastes might have changed. LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8790199

Nik, I echo what Robin said... wishing you all the best if you take that plunge again.

As far as the corn and beans... hunger always lurks just around the corner!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8790347

After the first I said I would never do it again... After the second I declared that instead of marrying I would simply buy someone a new house every five years. Now about to be 10 years with number three and I'll make no declarations - just along for the ride.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8790568

i was reading Mother Earth news and i may try some greens in the GH this winter.

Dyson isn't number 3 the charm ? :)
got a nice bottle of Paul Newmans chardanay. Sure like his products. THough this newton cookies that are to resemble OReo's are a bit nasty ? IMHO
darius you are in no way going to 71 !!! i would have guessed 61 maybe ... you look good.
well i m debating on buying more garlic ? i just don't want to spend 125.00 on it but that would be my stock for the rest of my life ... still thinking ...
and it also means i need a bigger garden plot LOLLLLl
tomorrow is farmers market day and the gosh awful mall trip with the kids. they earned some money and want to buy some things...
my DD wants to do a fund raiser with her organic tea and lemonade ( not organic ) to help kittys and puppys in shelters. soooo may do apple cider
oh its apple season here my fav !!!! got a 1/2 bushel of mcintosh.. ? spelling ? lLOLLL
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8791121

We went to the Amish produce auction up by Kenton yesterday to get supplies for the shindig tomorrow. Picked up a couple dozen ears of corn, and 1/2 dozen watermelons. Since a couple of the grandkids are staying here all weekend to mow and such, I made a big batch of goetta. Those kids go nuts for goetta for breakfast. We are doing the barbeque with fruitwood vice charcoal or gas. Since there are so many kids I bought a big bag of jumbo marshmellows at Wally-world in Bellefontaine. It's gonna be a hell of a party, no matter what else happens!! that's for sure.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8791213

good morning
NikB sure sounds like a great time !
them marshmellows are wonderful . we do them also here over a fire pit.
well to hot to do much today
bbl
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8791430

I saw those marshmallows yesterday (chocolate and white swirl), but refrained from buying them. I have no self-control when I'm stressed.

Sue, Eliot Coleman grows greens, carrots, etc in his greenhouses to harvest over the winter. You need to start planting them soon though. Cool about DD's fundraiser. :)

We were in the garden a bit this morning, but it's just too hot and humid for me to handle. High today 101, tomorrow 89 and Monday 68, followed by a couple of 71's. WhooHoo! Not placing any bets on getting any rainfall this week.

Our Texas friends, sorry it looks like it's missing you. Cricket, hope you're water tight with the new house.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8791440

Darius, I saw your post on the Cheese thread about Lee and Katia and potential flooding. The projected paths according to the weather channel look like they could converge in the North Carolina or Virginia area. Please be careful and keep us posted.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8791528

Will do, Robin. Sure makes me wish I had moved the garden higher a year ago!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8792540

Congratulation Nik, sounds like a fun party...and may the marriage party last for years!

Hoping someone, anyone in Texas is benefiting from the storm. Just wind here and haven't seen the news in days, been too hectic. Hope everyone in it's path stays safe.

The broilers arrived Sat. morning. Much to my disgust, Friday night, a coon broke into the coop and killed all my layers, but six. Including my beloved sweet roo who held on until yesterday. This is the second time this year, a coon has managed to get in. So we took down all the old chicken wire and replaced it.

Need to start seeding for a fall garden, realized yesterday that our pump line is out of the water. Running it further out today.

I'm green with envy to those who have an apple season, how cool! Do you make a pie every week? I would!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8792729

cocoa_lulu i m so sorry to hear of that coon getting your layers. So heartbroken feeling. i know when i had a great set of layers and great broody mama's and in 3 days ... coyote got them all ! i was crushed..
we got several inches of rain and some nasty storms with it too last night.
today is pickled beet day
was going to do the squash too, but no onions ..uhg... how did i forget that ?!
got tomato's in dehydrator and some green beans. cranked it up to 155 . hope it helps with this humidity in the basement .
got one more 25 lb box of tomato and then i think i m done ! ? with tomato's
honestly i wish i did more corn but just didn't have the energy this year.
welp time to get busy
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8792864

Have been researching water power and found this:

http://www.meribah-ram-pump.com/index1.aspx

am going to "home build" one and test it on my mothers creek.

Darius would you be interested in watering your garden plot this way?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8792972

still doing beets
got 9 pints of pickled
and am on the reg beets in the pressure canner.
got to go check on the mato's
ate some apple dumplings oh soo yummy

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8793061

Thanks, Dyson. Ram pumps have always fascinated me! I've been watering the garden from the submersible pump in my spring, but lately the water level is so low I get lots of algae. I'd be delighted to NOT use electricity to water (or pay for chlorinated city water which has been my only other option).

I'll be interested in following your project!

Sue, it's about time for me to do some canning too. Not looking forward to it, but always love the jars on the shelf later!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8793076

darius the more i use my canners the more i like my dehydrator LOL
got beets in the pressure canner and its a pain.
won't do anymore this year . i only do them for my MIL . did some pickled beets too.
well time to check the mato's

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8793213

Well, I'm now as prepared for the rains from "Lee" as I can be. Moved lots of stuff up to higher ground today, between rains. Our creek is already full from rainfall over the last 3 days, and it looks like 4 straight days of probably heavy rain headed our way. We've been under a flood watch all day. Sigh.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8793214

Well, I'm now as prepared for the rains from "Lee" as I can be. Moved lots of stuff up to higher ground today, between rains. Our creek is already full from rainfall over the last 3 days, and it looks like 4 straight days of probably heavy rain headed our way. We've been under a flood watch all day. Sigh.

Sue, you need to learn to lacto-ferment some veggies, esp. beets. They are yummy and healthier than vinegared beet pickles.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8793915

The Barbeque was a bust due to the weather. All my firewood was sooooo wet. I got it to burn, but not enough to cook over. Luckily,the party itself rocked. I have a wolfgang puck cafe grill/griddle and I broke it out. I cooked steaks for 19 folks along with sweet corn, and O'Brien. All in all it was a good time. Just no decent fire.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8793961

darius stay safe and dry. Hoping the rains don't get to bad for you. Lacto fernent like as in saurkraut ? yes i have been thinking of that lately also. may try it this fall.
glad the party was a success. to bad about the fire. Food sounds yummy .
Beets i canned i m not happy with . :(
the pickled beets i think are to fiburous. they just didn't seem to cook enough to be soft . soooo i m hoping the WB did some softening .
the pressure canner beets i only got 3 qts. so i had none left over to make more pickled beets . These i m doing for fair next summer.
so i have time if i need more LOL
MIL loves them so i guess i will take em to her
bbl

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8794091

Sue, lacto-fermenting is so much more than just sauerkraut... almost any vegetable but green beans.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 5, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8794159

Great salvage job Nik!
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8794208

I make saurkraut every year in a 5-gallon bucket. I buy a brand new one from Tractor Supply and fill it with shredded cabbage and kosher salt and pound it down. Then lay a trash bag with water in it on top. 6 weeks later (or thereabouts) voila!! Saurkraut!!! My mother and sisters love it. It goes great with smoked sausage or metts or brats. I also know you can do corn and shelled (but not green) beans that way. Women who are menstrating should not handle or even be near saurkraut as it ferments, and that's probably true about the other stuff that you lacto-ferment.
My house is pretty well cleaned up from the goings on last night. The chickens got the leftover o"brien and the one left over steak is simmering away in the crockpot with some onions, carrots, potatoes and later a bit of barley. It'll make a pretty good stew for supper tonight.
I have 6 more serama chicks pipping/hatching. These are beautiful chicks and are going to sell for about $100 each. The welsh harlequin ducks will start hatching in about another 9 days. Life is good.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8794224

In prepping for the coming onslaught of rain yesterday, I completely forgot about my annual herbs that will probably be flooded too. So I just cut about half a bushel of several basils, with some perennial thyme and garlic chives growing in the same bed. My office, where I have spread them on trays to dry, smells wonderful!

So far, it looks like the creek is up about 2 feet, and can probably take nearly that much more before flooding into the yard... and it's only Monday morning. The worst is due tomorrow and Wednesday.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8794229

That's how I do kraut too, Nik... but I use my Harsch crock or sometimes half-gallon jars since there's just me to eat it. The pounding really helps release a lot of juice!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8794284

i do have the food grade buckets i have been saving. i will go get some cabbage today.
you all have me intereseted
so i use kosher salt ? or can i use pickling salt ? does it matter .
getting excited about kraut !
darius sure hope you aren't flooded this week .
i will go look at your blog thanks :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8794354

pickling salt is the same as kosher salt, both are Morton products but often the pickling salt is less expensive.

Sue, I would use a water-filled (or brine-filled) FOOD GRADE plastic bag, not a trash bag as the cover... Too many chemicals in trash bags to suit me for a food product.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8794370

Hey Sue... I just remembered this video... great intro to lacto-fermenting by the kraut king, Sandor Katz!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i77hU3zR-fQ

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8794627

By the way Nik... that statement about menstruating women not being near ferments is an old wives' tale, although still honored in some religions.
http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/menses.asp

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8794992

thanks darius.
i love video's . visual kind of person i m . :)
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8797314

I think quite a few of those things are old wives' tales. The menstrating women thing is possibly one of them. Or it could be that since everyone is unique it doesn't apply to everyone. The Amish even believe that women shouldn't be in the garden during that time. But who really knows? I'm not a woman, and Debbie is past all that, so it's a non-issue here. But my Mama told me how GrandPa opened up a can of whoop ass on her for claiming to be, when she wasn't. She HATED washing that cheese cloth and board and everything. She laughs when she tells the story. I get the idea she was a bit of a scammer where GrandPa was concerned.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8797451

That's a funny story, Nik!

Somehow we managed to miss major, serious flooding and tornadoes from the rains from TS Lee. We got rain a'plenty though, and the closest tornadoes were 50 miles away. I discovered my back porch storage room has a major roof leak, and so does the outbuilding I use for storing my non-garden tools. I picked up some wide valley flashing and roofing felt at Lowe's yesterday for the back porch roof, but it needs to dry out first and we still have some lighter rain. The shed has a tin roof, so I have to get a ladder to see what is needed to fix it.

Fortunately, there wasn't much wet damage to that back room contents... I had recently emptied most of it while I'm fixing it up with an added window for ventilation, and vinyl flooring so I can put the 2 freezers in there. I got the room wired yesterday with an overhead 4' shop light and 3 receptacles, but they aren't live yet. Still have to run wiring from that room under the house and up to the elec. panel. Today I hope to get the sheet flooring installed; I got a good deal on a high-quality remnant since I didn't care what the pattern looks like!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8797802

darius glad you didn't get hit with any bad storms or toranado's
not much going on here
just cold and drizzly
got a new bunny for my son. Its a Netherland dwarf Steele color. we have a ND chestnut color one both are bucks.
hope to get a female in the spring from the same breeder.
got two other rabbits mini rex but they are not show quality. hmmmm what to do with them ? LOL o k o k i won't do that to my son's pets LOL
got some great honey from the apple orchard down the road... oh its sooo good. With a hint of apple and blossom undertones ... oh so yummy. hope i can get more.
so i have 1/2 bushel of apples with my name on them. doing some drying and sauce tomorrow.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8800420

Sue, sounds like the apple honey really is yummy!! I still have a little local honey left from the 6 quarts I bought 2-3 years ago. Wish I remembered where the place was... they had half an acre or so of berry bushes, but it was just a regular rural homestead, not a small farming venture.

My roofing job was tedious, taking off rotted shingles and putting on new valley flashing and roofing paper as a temporary measure. That section of roofing was previous-homeowner-added nearly flat roof over the back porch, and I'm going to have to add a larger whole new roof over it to increase the pitch.

We are still having drainage problems when we run the washer. Whoever designed (or modified) the plumbing for this single-wide did a piss-poor job. The master bathtub bubbles up when the washer drains, and so does the kitchen sink. No money for a plumber either so I have to fix it myself. I need to take the washing machine drain off the lines to the septic tank, and divert the water to a dry well.

I was under the house twice yesterday (front and then back), no easy task because I have to inch in and out on my belly rather than crawl because there isn't much space under the trailer anyway, and now there's also all the new HVAC duct work to squeeze under. Fortunately my sis had a tyvek disposable coverall she bought some time ago for installing fiberglass insulation. I didn't do any work under the house yesterday, just figuring out what to do... and today I need to go back and start on a new drain for the washer. Yuck.

Eventually I will channel the grey water through a series of small ponds to filter it into the new garden area I'm planning.

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2011

Post #8800638

Sounds like a lot of work, but that grey water will be priceless!

Busy as a bee here and lots to tell when I get the chance...one quick question tho.

We got two 20lb piglets today and I still haven't managed to trap the raccoon that wiped out my flock last week. His foot prints are around the coop each morning, so I know it's still around.
Would a large raccoon go after the piglets?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8800657

Go to TS and get a Hav-a-hart trap. Coons might go after piglets that small...
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8800669

*sigh* That's what we've been using, by the size of the prints it looks to be really large and I think it's reaching through sides to pull out the bait. We placed some wood panels around the sides last night and I think it moved them around. Tonight, I'll try wrapping a sheet around it multiple times...if it wants the bait, it will have no other way to get to it.
I appreciate it! We'll keep them in the trailer till safe!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8800873

coons quickly learn to manipulate the traps when you use them often.
i tried using one and they just didn't work after several tries. The coons just are to smart.
I have not had much problem with coons in the last several months, but when we see them walking in daylight and walking funny .well... its not a good sign.
i think our neighbor is poisoning them and they come on our property and slowly die. poor things.
watching a mama deer and two fawns. they still have spots .. pretty cute.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8801245

Cocoa ~ what are you using for coon bait? Could you attach it so they couldn't pull it through the sides?

Darius ~ it sounds as though a vent pipe is lacking or plugged. Any thoughts on that?

Fall seed germination and a third Hugelkultur bed built and planted for the perennial onions.

Harvested the first canteloupe today as it split before totally ripe. Still tastes wonderful but I need to research and find out why it split.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8801448

pod... Oh, there's a vent pipe alright, and I doubt it's plugged (but I WILL check!). Problem is that there's only one, right near the middle of about a 30' right-angle run from bath sink to tub to clothes washer and on to the kitchen sink. Vent pipe goes straight up into the attic about midway in the run, but then 18' clear back across the house to vent through the roof on the backside. Stupidest layout I ever saw!

Fortunately, my private bath is at the other end of the house, and is plumbed/vented properly. Well, except for no shut-off valves on the water lines... in fact, none in the whole house. I bought a gazillion valves 2 years ago, and enough red and blue PEX tubing to replace all the hot and cold water lines... but I cannot do it all by myself.

I didn't get everything finished I had hoped during the 4 days my sis was off and willing to work. But we DID get a lot done. Midday today we decided the waferboard I used on the interior walls 2 years ago really should be painted since the new flooring looked so nice. A trip to the store and two coats later, it looks better but needs a 3rd coat. Waferboard just sucks up $30/gallon paint! Maybe next week on her 2 days off, we can finish painting the storage room and I can get the door hung. Meanwhile I still have to seal every tiny crevice from field mice... and get back to my gardening!

I should have had my sis take a photo of me today in my tyvek jumpsuit when I went back under the house (again)... I looked like those folks on TV walking around nuclear contaminated sites!

pod, I'm thinking about hugelkulture beds... How deep/thick is your base?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8801513

Base ~ meaning the wood portion? I haven't made them really deep, the wood is from 6 -12 inches. The soil and compost on top is more shallow but I can build it up during year. I'm definitely thinking about more of them after this season of drought.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8801647

My, everybody sounds busy. You all have made me tired reading about your work.

I am weaning all the kids so I am milking the does twice a day. They are starting to give less milk. I hope they are not drying up already. I know they are not a dairy breed but I sure hope they milk longer than this. I need to google it. I have started putting milk in the freezer already.

I have curds and whey seperating on the back of the stove now. Did a double batch so I can try something new.

I did some lacto fermented veggies. I used green tomatoes, eggplant, trombocino squash, sweet peppers, onions, garlic and some lime basil. I used sea salt and whey. It turned out like relish because I grated all the veggies.

I used my bread maker for the first time! Turned out great. Need to bake some more tomorrow. I am doing 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 white. I also used the whey in it.

Nik, are seramas usually that expensive? A friend is going to give me a pair of them. They are not show quality. Their backs are not that short but they are teeny tiny little things. I will keep them for pets.

Sold 7 dozen eggs yesterday. That will buy the next sack of laying pellets.

Sold one of the bucklings. I banded him for the new owner. I have also sold the other buckling and a doeling. Need to get in touch with the guy who wants them to let him know they can go now. That will help pay for the 50 mile fence charger to juice the fence on the hill. Need to do some work on the fence because a big tree fell on it.

Almost got the spring garden cleaned so I can get the onions and garlic in. I want to reconfigure the beds.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8801830

Yesterday, when I got home from work, I thought "man I am tired, I must be getting to old for this mess". Then this morning I read the above posts and realizing what you folks have been doing. Now I am really tired and it is 7 am.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8801982

Hello everybody. I read every post to catch up. Yall been busy bees.

Cocoa= sorry bout your chickens. Reminds me of when we had a raccoon problem. They ate all my white doves. Just ripped them through the cages and left the remains all over the place.

darius= sorry bout your plumbing issues. If i were closer, I would help.

Cajun= you sound kinda extra busy too. Yum= homemade bread. I use to have a bread maker. It was very nice. I been wanting a good loaf of yeasty homemade bread here lately. I have my eyes on a cast iron loaf pan made by Lodge at a near by farming store.

I like sauerkraut every now and then. I am not a vinegar food fan except for pickle juice. I can drink pickle juice all day long but I can't cause it makes my blood pressure shoot sky high. Mom use to call me a pickleholic.

Gardening plans are slow around here. The Lee storm saturated the garden plot. I finally got around to tilling the garden plot yesterday but it was still slightly moist. I only tilled the actual grow bed area which is two 3x60 beds. I sprayed the rest with Round Up. Will till the beds three more times= 3 days then plant broc, cabbage, cauli. I had to use my little tiller cause the tractor needs to be repaired to use its tiller. I forgot what it is called but That Lever that engages the tiller keeps slipping out. Sigh. I could really do some damage if I could use my tractor tiller.
Will have ripe tomatoes in the greenhouse in about 4 to 5 weeks. The cool weather this week during tomato pollination is going to cause some catfacing. We went from heat index of 101 down to temps in the high 60s during the day when the Lee storm came through. Wow. So my fall crop plants were suffering in the 101 index and hoping with this cool snap they will burst into some healthy growth.

I had 27 Ameraucana chicks delivered last week. They are so cute. Sweet little babies. I had them in the house during all the storms. I just made them a temporary coop with a heat lamp and a shingled roof space to stay out of the future bad weather. I have an old deck portion that came off the burned home that had a lattice pergola roof over it= 8ftx12ft. that I had used as a temporary laundry room while we were building the house and I want to convert it into a chicken coop for the new chicks.
10 chickens have died with upper respiratory infections. It's not a disease but I have taken all the chickens out of the barn coop so I can clean it. I think they got fungal spores in their respiratory system when I raked the barn soil last month. I did not know I was suppose to clean it before I put them in there. Live and Learn. I did not take any of the chickens to the vet. That is more expensive than just buying new ones. Since I have watched the chickens and came up with my own conclusions as to why they have a respiratory infections, I will keep the new chicks as far away as I can just in case it might be something contagious.
The rabbit had 8 babies but= they were all attacked by ants before the momma could clean them up. We went out to check on her because we knew she was due to have babies. We got the ants off of them but there was too many bites for them to survive. They all died. I never thought ants would be a problem. It never crossed my mind. I had built her a good safe cage that snakes couldn't get in to but never thought about ants. For now on the area will be treated for ants. Live and Learn.

Besides all that, I been cleaning around the house outside now that the temps have cooled off. Cleaning out other raised beds and getting them ready for turnip greens and Sugar Snap peas.
A lot of weeds have grown up in the big greenhouse (20x96)and I need to clean it up before winter. Need it ready for spring plant production.
It's too hot to clean in there during summer.

NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8802326

Just came in the house for breakfast. Today I am hauling the last of the neighbors manure and spreading it in my field. Then plowing the new garden again. The plowed/fluffypart of the new garden is about 2/3 rotted manure. The Village of Belle Centre is going to bring me about 5-6 truckloads of leaves to mulch it with. I plan to lay cardboard down on the soil then layer the leaves and my own chicken manure on top.

yes, Show quality Seramas will sometimes sell for upwards of $1500. There are folks who will spend money on anything. These are all being handled daily so they are very docile, and the colours on them are all very striking. $100 each, easy.

My Mum and My Sister and BIL came up from Middletown yesterday and Debbie and I met them all at the Moose Club at Indian Lake. Yes, I'm a member. Anyway they have fish all you can eat a couple times a month. They all came out to Wolf's Rest Farm afterward to visit for a bit and see some of the stuff I have done in the last couple years. Everyone was impressed.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8802545

darius and poster what is hugelkulture ? o k o k i m the greenhorn on this stuff
i am adding more and more raised beds. I just really like them. i can control the weeds and soil more .
i do have a flat area . Gonna give the no till and lasagna layering on that area.
if i lay black plastic down to kill off weeds and weed seeds. Will i kill off the good soil bacteria and other goodies it has ?
i m wondering if its not hot enough to kill off the weed seeds. ?
i will google it , but honestly you get so much info . i just get to confused LOL ( its pretty easy to do that )
NikB sounds like a good time. All you can eat fish is always a good thing yum.
Cricket sorry to hear about the 10 birds that died. ? i had only two die this year but honestly can't figure out what was wrong ?
just came in the coop and ... ? dead.
Hi Cajun ! ~~~~~~ are you anywhere near Burea ? i got kin over there. My uncle is in hospice . I may take a trip over to KY. To say my goodbyes to him.
Cocoa i know that coons love the Pepsi and the Coca cola. I wonder if this new toddler snack pack toy thingy would work ?
it swivels and won't spill . i wonder if you put it in the trap would the coon be able to get it out ? can't recall the name of it ?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8802643

For the coon bait, we have been using table scraps, tied with shoestring to hang over the 'trip panel'. Last night Dh added a peppermint patty, because he said 'coons love sweets', but then we got into a heated discussion, because I said peppermint was a critter repellent. lol Nothing took the the bait last night and no tracks were around the trap. I wish that was because of the peppermint *wink. I think that had more to do with the dogs being on high alert last night...having pigs in their yard.

I have no idea what your talking about, Sue. But it sounds good.lol I'll look around on the soda isle and see if I can find it. Seriously, I wish the cola company would sell it as coon bait, seems just wrong to push it on toddlers!

Cricket, I have a good feeling about your chicks! I've gotten to where I won't bring adult birds on the property anymore, just always ends badly for us.

Speaking of chicks, the broilers are doing good. I've lost 1 out of 55. I ordered 50, and they sent 5 extras. Still in the brooder on the porch, till I can catch the coon. The brooder won't be able hold them much longer tho, they are growing fast!

I got the garden seeded this last week and noticed some germination today...So go good to see any form of plant life right now!

Here are the new piggy girls...I'm doomed...they are so cute and funny!

Thumbnail by cocoa_lulu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8802647

Oh and I forgot..Darius. We need to see you rocking the tyvek look ;0)

BTW, that's Kevin and Francis Bacon (both gilts). When we called about the pigs. The gentleman said that they were mixed breed racing pigs...I thought that meant he expected us to chase them down in the field. I nearly fell over laughing when I saw his rig. He wasn't kidding!

Thumbnail by cocoa_lulu

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8802654

oh sorry i didn't write that to well]
the snack thing holds like crackers and cheerios. not soda pop :) sometimes i forget to read what i just wrote.
gyro-ball my kids tell me its called.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8802679

LOL... Sorry, Sue, I reread your post. You wrote it just fine, I don't know what I was thinking!
Will look for gyro-ball... Not soda in sippy cups.lol

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8802815

i can picture a raccoon sitting in the trap with a tuperware sippy cup full of Coke ROFLLLL. well it will eventualy kill him with diabetes. LOLLL ? and don't forget some Velveta cheese. Obesity will kill him then. LOL sorry i have been watching to many food documentarys ... i better stop before i get into trouble ... well i do love a good cold pop once in awhile.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8802839

pod, if you are making the hugelkultur beds 6-12" deep, what general diameter wood are you using? I saw a video where they were using fresh tree chunks as much as 18" in diameter and about the same length. Seems like that would take an enormous amount of time to decompose enough to retain moisture for the bed.

Sue, here's a couple of links on hugelkultur:
http://kerryg.hubpages.com/hub/Hugelkultur-Using-Woody-Waste-in-Composting
http://saponaria-wortsandall.blogspot.com/2008/07/hugelkultur-compared.html

The gilts are cute!! Just two? That ain't much bacon...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8802859

Here ya go Sue. A picture is worth a thousand words. http://www.richsoil.com/hugelkultur/ It has promise for me. The few beds I did survived the drought far better than I would have dreamed.

I am sorry the ants beat you to the baby rabbits. Do you have the hutch on legs? If so, could you stand the legs in cans of oil to create a moat so the ants wouldn't cross it? I hate fireants and think that would be a God awful way to die. I fed feral cats by setting a pan of cat food on a shallow tray which I coated with Dr Bronners peppermint soap. The fireants wouldn't cross it. I never found them in the cat food while the girls at the nearby restaurant would put out scraps for the cats and the ants would cover that food up.

Cocoa ~ no experience with trapping a coon but we had a small one for a while. I was thinking sardines, tuna, cheap, smelly canned cat food would be the raccoon drawing card. Just a thought. Cute oinkers you got too. You are doomed! LOL

Y'all have gotten so much done that when everyone is done you are welcome to come start on mine... lol Just kidding. But what Dyson said I agree!!!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8802863

Ahhh... thanks for more links. I just posted one. I agree that depth is way more than feasible for me. Besides if it looks like a normal bed DH wouldn't object as much. In the first two beds the wood was two to four inches in diameter. For this last one, I used a lot of rotted wood that I located nearby. I suspect I will have to rework the beds in a few years and replenish the wood but that is o.k. too.
Have you read this one? http://allthingsplants.com/articles/view/dave/96/

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8802893

Pod, that was an interesting post by Dave. There's so much one can do with appropriate equipment... and some woods nearby~

I'm thinking more along the lines of hugelkuktur beds laid out as terraces and swales along my slope... at least for the moment.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8802949

I will agree with the equipment and the idea of doing terraces and swales. We are on unlevel ground and although it is probably not as steep as yours, my thought was to use these as water catchment basins should it ever rain again.

I do have the woods and lots of downed timber here but this is what I used in my perennial onion bed for the hugelkultur base. These are not large pieces of rotting limbs.

Thumbnail by podster

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8802953

This is the fine rotted wood that was added next with compost and soil on top. These beds I have built are not large... 8' x 2' I think one can do these on any scale desired.

Thumbnail by podster

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8803038

Made 2 cheeses today, my tried and true green onion and a sweet orange cheese. They turned out great. Milked the does twice. Went to a household shower for friends. Cleaned my porch and moved the big weaning crate to the goat house. Cleaned my yard and up my driveway. Did all the regular work too except for feeding 5 of the horses. DH did those while I was at the shower. He also cooked supper for me while I was working in the yard.

Glad you enjoyed your company and you got to show them your place. It feels so good to get to show your accomplishments to friends and family. My family is all like that. If you go visit you have to see everything in the yard and barn before going into the house.

I'm trying to wrap my little pea brain around the huggie culture stuff too. A big rotten tree fell across my fence on the hill. Be nice if I could get some good use from it.

So sorry about the bunnies. That's a lot of future meat to lose.

Hate to hear about the chickens too. That is frustrating to say the least. I lost a hen a couple days ago but she was the crooked beak hen. I should have culled her as a chick but I did get some good egg production from her for a year.

Nice pigs. I have seen the pig races. When my son was little we saw them at the fair and he got a ribbon because he picked the winner before the race.

I'm off to bed. Tomorrow is a big day. Pastoe Appreciation day at church. My DH deserves a great day. He gives everything fir the church and the congregation. I think I will take my lactofermented vegetable relish.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8803041

Sounds like lots accomplished Cajun. Hoping you and your DH have a wonderful day tomorrow.

Darius ~ I suspect you read Saponarias blog on terraces and swales also?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8803306

Maybe, pod, although the name doesn't ring a bell. I've been reading lots of related stuff I don't bookmark or follow, and terraces and swales show up a lot. Hemenway's book Gaia's Garden covers it extensively, along with greywater use. Next time I have any extra money, I'm buying that book, as I keep wanting to mark certain passages in the library copy I'm currently reading. I'm thinking it may be the best book any gardener can own!

I had an interesting conversation about forest food farming yesterday at the farmer's market. One of the small vendors is a biology prof., and he sat in on a long talk on the topic at a conference in Asheville recently. The speaker had statistics about calories produced by forest farming vs. conventional farming, something incredible like 3:1. The upshot is basically that the forest floor is like a hugelkultur bed (although my friend didn't use that word) and we just need to learn how to work with Nature's ways and not try to make her work with our ideas of raising foods.

Richard promised to email some information to me about this guy and his research.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8803432

I wanted add to Dyson comment as well...whenever I feel overwhelmed with everything going on. I come to this forum, and think to myself. At least I didn't have to crawl under a house, or build one, today! It helps, thank you all, you inspire me :0)

No racoon today, the trap door was closed and the bait gone. No raccoon tracks around the cage. I think a rat is working with the coon! lol I was thinking about the gyro ball and what Pod said about the fish. I'm to try a tea-ball. It's one of those aluminum screw cap types with holes for the tea to steep through. I'm going to fill that with tuna and wire it to the cage and hope a rat can't chew through it.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8803450

tea ball that is a good idea.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8803555

We always just poked small holes in the tuna fish can instead of opening it - works well.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8803865

Darius ~ I am interested in the forest farming also. Should you do a blog, please let me know.
I have every intention of opening up the logging trails through our woods and hope to plant plots for me and the critters.

This is the link to her terraces and swales. http://saponaria-wortsandall.blogspot.com/ Scroll down a bit on this link.

I have been reading about EMs, that inspiration was compliments of Cocoa and found so much interesting info.
And I need to see if I can relocate what I had read about finding natural EMs rather than growing them.
I have seen what they were talking about and never knew what it was.
Looking forward to cooler weather so I can do more exploring in these woods.

And you keep talking about that book but I need another book on plants and gardening like I need another hole in my head! I am resisting temptation. (sort of)

NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8804220

I have baby ducks!! I have been putting all the duck (welsh harlequin) eggs into my incubator for the last couple weeks. I thought I had a few more days to go, But I was sitting here at the table rading and heard a peeping behind me. Lo an behold; I had 2 out of the shell and 2 more well pipped. This has been a fantastic weekend!!!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 11, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8804306

Congratulations!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2011
11:11 PM

Post #8804487

Great!!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8804751

awwww.little duckies. congrats Nik.

cocoa= cute little piggies.

I like reading everyones adventures and ideas. It helps me come up with ideas. And it reminds me of the ones I set aside. My mom says I need to rest by brain and just sit and think of nothing...I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

gardening= about 10 years ago, someone cleared this land and pushed all the debris into two big long strips (400ftx25ft) out back. It is full of rotted wood and leaves but now grown up with brush. I have plans to go out there and shovel it up and put it in my garden but it's just a plan at the moment. I am having a hard time finding time to do everything. Wish I could do it while I'm sleeping.

I am buying two more pygmy goats. A pg nanny and a billy.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8804776

oh yeah. I know this has nothing to do with homesteading, farming, or what ever else goes under homesteading, but==I am taking in my sisters son. He is very unhappy at home, depressed actually. He doesn't like his 4 brothers and sisters. He is a tidy fella but his other family members are not and it gets on his nerves along with their bad habits. His mom has tried everything to make him happy. The only time he is happy is when he is staying with us which is a lot...weekends and most of the summer. I cannot imagine how she feels except her heart must be torn to shreds. He just turned 13. Him and my son Chad are best friends but sometimes act like brothers. We are going to let him live with us for a few months and see how it goes. It is a big scary responsibility. Not like taking in a goat or a rabbit. You wouldn't think I would be nervous or worried considering he has spent 6 to 8 wks in our home during the summer every summer for several years. I guess it is the thought that after two months it may turn permanent.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8804798

I think our 'homesteading families' include all critters like Nik's baby ducklings... and human ones too. Good luck with the additional "son" Cricket!

Nik, we NEED pictures!!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8804989

Dyson, so brilliant and so simple! I told dh, he gave me that look of amazement, as if, why did we think of that.lol

Pod, do you need the links for harvesting wild EM? I have multiple links, but would still need to dig through them to find the basic "harvesting". LMK, happy to look. It's a big circle of inspiration, Darius led me down the EM path with her articles on biochar. Fascinating stuff!

Nik, happy duckling day!

Cricket, I think it's wonderful he has an opportunity to thrive at your home. I can't say I know exactly how you feel, but the situation resonates with me. We took full custody of my daughter (actually step-daughter) at 8 years of age. I felt more responsibility for her, then bringing home my own newborns.

There has been much talk around here of homeschooling our sons. The idea terrifies me, that somehow, I will ruin them... or not smart enough to teach them.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8805030

Cocoa ~ look into some of the virtual schools online. We have a friend whose sons' two daughters are doing that this year. They travel alot and move often and this way they can stay abreast of the education as well as work at their own pace. He bought each their own laptop so no excuses. There are even online group classes that the girls participate in.

Homeschooling is good (IMO) but as the child progresses, it is difficult for the adult teacher. Those here that homeschool work as a group. One adult may excel in one field while another is good at something else. Also more of a support group. Definitely a large responsibility.

On the EMs, I've saved sooo many links. If I could remember which day I read that, I'd try for history. I do need to find it though and will post. You had shared the other links on the drought gardening thread. Thank you.

Biochar was an inspiration here when I read it first on DG too. Think the first article I read was Daves'. I haven't made it as such but sift thru the firewood ash and cull the charred pieces. Then crush them and add to the beds.

Cricket ~ you go girl! Your sister should be more than delighted that her son will be happy and well adjusted and still be her son. You are not taking that away from her. Without you, who knows how he would have developed. You will be blessed for your effort!

I do love the Dyson tuna can and will try to file that in the fading memory bank. lol

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8805031

Cricket good luck on the young man. I hope he can become a happier young fellow. That is a hard age . is he the youngest or the oldest ? or somewhere in the middle. I don't know how them Duggers family does it ! ? yikes. what are they up to 20 kids ?
boys are so fragile at that age. I wish you and him the best.
not much going on here
got apples in the dehydrator.
still got a 1/2 bushel to go.
deciding on apple sauce or more dried apples ?
making lots of soup also but just don't have enough energy to make my own stocks. :( that would take a miracle LOL
so i have to use the store stuff. more sodium then what i want
hey great news on the ducks, yes pics is a must !
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8805172

Pod, how do want to use the Ems? Bringing up decaying wood and soil from your wooded area may be all you need to inoculate new beds.

I have been collecting info and notes on homeschooling schools, curriculum, groups. Much like my EM notes, I'm beginning to bog down with all the information.lol We haven't informed the boys that we are considering homeschool. So, I don't feel the need to rush into a decision.

Sue, applesauce, please :0) The mornings have been so wonderful and cool here. I'm craving all the fall goodness. I might need a pumpkin pie, a few months early.
I saw a quick bit on the Tv about the Duggars, I had never heard of them. Of course, all I could keep thinking was, "why don't they own a dairy cow". lol

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8805259

cocoa LOL i thought the same thing ? geezy pete that is a hungry family
they made their fame with the tater tot casserole ... cheap and easy... ok i do love it !!! made it once or twice for special occasions...
so i should make more apple sauce Hmmm

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8805448

Sue, last year I made some applesauce from crab apples... it was slightly tart (by design) and a lovely pink! Mostly I like apple butter better than apple sauce.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8805559

My mother used to pickle crab apples. They were really tasty in a sweet cinnamon pickle juice rather like those sliced apple rings. Wish we could grow apples. I have a possible line on a native crabapple so maybe...

Cocoa ~ the EMs to be used in the garden beds and I suspect from what I've read you are right. Adding the wood will suffice. How else could you use them?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8805667

Today I made the initial step for a new garden bed higher up from the creek! I bought some alfalfa bales to do sheet composting. Yeah, I know straw would work, but all the straw I've used here in 5 years has given me horrendous grass weeds later on... plus, the alfalfa was the same price as straw from a big box store, and will add nitrogen!

My sis can get me some used cardboard from work, but only on the weekends. That's okay because I have a BUNCH of work to do first, leftovers from last week... like build a window frame, hook up the wiring for the freezers in the new storage space, and work under the house to run the greywater line from the washing machine.

I started, but only barely, the layout for a winter hoop house today. (That means I dragged the PVC pipes from the barn to the garden, and collected some rebar pieces to anchor them.) However, I did manage to do some more plantings that will be covered by the hoophouse. I started some cole crops there several weeks ago, but lost some to the heavy rains from TS Lee. Fortunately I hadn't planted all the starts I had, so those went in today.

Some of the shallots I bought to plant in October had sprouted in the root cellar, so those went in the ground today too. Depsi (here on DG) sent me some Babington Perennial Leek "seeds" which I also planted today.

In the midst of all this busyness today, I also took my truck to the shop and got the leaky clutch master cylinder replaced!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8805804

Gaaa. My sister decided she couldn't handle her son living with us all the time and never be there with her. He did tell her that he just wanted to run away and kill himself. WE are trying something else before we resort to him moving in with us. She is going to set up a bedroom that he and his sister (not a good idea in my opionion) will share with a lock and key so no other children will bother his stuff or his space and will have more privacy. HM. ok. The other thing is he will come to our home every Friday after school and go home on Sunday evening. I don't know how this will work out but ...it gives him something to look forward to every week. He doesn't like the plan of staying home but I guess his mother is holding on to the last thread. He is the second to the oldest. Has an older(14) brother and the youngest(6) is a brother . Two sisters. One is extremely talkative and the other is quiet. Three children are ADHD or something similar or the opposite and actually I call the whole family Mal=Function Junction. Anyway... I thought if I didn't let him come over for a while that he might stay home and gradually appreciate home more. I thought because he liked our home better that it made him hate his home. I would think of reasons as to why he couldn't spend the weekend during the past month. I guess that was a bad idea cause he got worse. Back to weekend visits and see how that goes. He was with us the entire summer while we were building our house...even when we lived in the house with no walls and he still didn't want to go home to his family. He called me his other mother.. Just a sad situation.

Homeschooling. I did not homeschool but one of my other sisters did and still does and her daughters are going through their last year and her son finished a couple years ago. If you don't know something, you will when you read it. She had to learn it before she could teach it. The first school years are hard and the last two years are hard. All the middle is easy cause they know how to read. The last few years is much better if you have a local Vocational School or College that allows homeschool children to attend classes. Going to church and getting involved helps with socializing. My sister paid for homeschool attorneys also.

I only planted about 100 cole crop plants yesterday and today between all the ins and outs and and and. They got planted in my concrete block raised beds. Trying some of the broccoli in the cinder block holes. Curious to see how that works out. Another 340 to go==mostly in the regular garden plot.
I have garlic to plant too. And some onions. STill have to go buy turnip green seeds. I dread sowing turnip green seeds one by one. Very time consuming. It will take me all day and i will sit on my rump and scoot across the ground. Will be sowing a 3x50ft bed. 16 per square foot.

I still have 6 healthy roosters. They are about 21 weeks old and they are sooooooo heavy. Big Boys! wow. They are much much heavier than the adult Ameraucana Rooster that i had bought 6 weeks ago. A promise to myself that I will never break ----will never buy chickens from someone else...will always order new chicks or raise my own. Plus, I like how friendly they are when you raise them from chicks.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8805932

Cricket, that's a really tough situation... My half-sister who shares this house has a daughter almost 24 who has been living here with us about 3-4 years. She's gone off with a boyfriend to Elmira, NY for a couple of months. Yesterday she called my sis to ask how my sis feels about her really moving out, as opposed to "visiting" away from home. My sis has conflicts about it since that's her only child, but I think the Kid needs to leave home. How will she ever learn to be an adult when her mother indulges every whim and enforces NO discipline?

Not the same as your situation, except the tugs at a mother's emotions.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8806072

darius, yep. she is definitely old enough to move out and live and learn life's experiences on her own. Hope that works out. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Just a chance the young ones have to take.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8806318

i forgot my apples in my dehydrator last night. they ran all night ... :( they are crisp ! LOL bummer

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8806347

Sue, they'll pick up moisture and soften if you leave them out on a counter (but usually not during winter when our houses are so dry inside).

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8806441

darius that is good to know thanks :)
i will keep them for oatmeal and other things for baking and cooking.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8806744

Pod, you can use the captured EMs to inoculate a carbon base (newspaper, rice and bran hulls, etc). The resulting product is used like Bokashi.
Or say, you have large amounts of grass clippings (I know, not this year.lol) and not enough carbon available to compost properly. By fermenting them with EMs, they can go directly into the beds (they need to be buried) and ready to plant on top in three weeks.
Now, if you were to just bury the grass clippings and add enough soil that anaerobic activity isn't possible (think silage) the grass clippings would probably ferment on their own, but adding EMs ensures it.

Cricket, I do hope the best for all of you. Hopefully, just having someplace he can regroup his thoughts, even if for a day or two, will make a world of difference.
Was it because of homeschooling laws, that your sister had an attorney? Texas is quite relaxed, compared to other states, about homeschool regulations.B ut I'd rather know now, if need we an attorney, rather then when needed.lol

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2011

Post #8807195

Cocoa ~ thanks once again for the invaluable information on the Ems. Yes, I saw the link you posted on harvesting them with steamed rice. It was a well done tutorial. Not ready to do that yet but will save it for future reference or use.

Darius ~ thanks much for the links. That list was extensive and I look forward to crossreferencing what may do well here. Appreciate your trouble...
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8807263

cocoa, she had an appointed attorney through some type of homeschool group. Mostly incase they said she didn't turn in all her records but she kept all her school work in boxes for each year and turned in all her paper work like she was suppose to. Plus, she had custody of three other family members children and she homeschooled them too so it was necessary for her to have the attorney.

I am so tired. I would love to just take a shower and go to bed. My tiller wouldn't till deep enough =in my opinion= so I pulled out the Mantis cultivator and tilled individual holes for 180 cole crop plants today and planted them. I have to do that many tomorrow too. Already planted about 100 in the raised beds. It's gonna rain Thursday. Gotta get it done.

My scuppernong wine is almost ready! 2 more weeks. I still have a few more on the vines. Thought about making some fruit spread. I don't like jelly. Jelly is too thick.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8807973

Guess I need someone to post the link to the EM/steamed rice tutorial, please?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8808214

I'd like it too please?

Been popping in to see what everyone is up to. But haven't had anything to share. :(
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8808688

These are the links that Cocoa had posted (hoping she doesn't mind my jumping in with them)

http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/fertilizing-soil-amen...

http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/20040401/Hamilton

http://www.reap-canada.com/online_library/IntDev/id_bokashi/...

This one has a good photo tutorial of the harvesting with steamed rice.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/BIO-9.pdf

These are offered with the warning that it is a deep swirling pool you are about to enter... lol
Or maybe just good winter reading for springtime inspiration.

I will add this site http://www.malcolmbeck.com/books/gv_method/MycorrhizaeBeneficialFungiinFertileSoil.htm
This man puts it in common sense terms that I can understand better. I like to read thru his site in general.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8808751

Thanks for the links! I'll check them out tomorrow or the next day... When I came back to my rooms after working today on house projects, I thought I might have to crawl on all fours. Can't remember being this tired and achey in years!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8809138

Thanks to both Cocoa for the original sharing of the posts and thank you Podster for reposting plus the additional one.

Darius, hope you're doing better this morning and hopefully not too stiff and sore.

Feel guilty for mentioning this, but we received a total of 1 3/4" last week between 2 rainfalls and another 1/2" last night. The garden has really perked up. We also had a couple of beautiful days in the 70's last week and upper 60's are forecast for the next couple of days. This is much appreciated. It's been a major battle all summer with the bugs and drought, while trying to grow enough vegetables for all of our members.

The chickens (the 11 adult birds) discovered the garden a couple of weeks ago and I finally gave up chasing them out. They're not doing too much damage on the vegetables themselves, but they are sure scratching up the soil and weeds between the plants and in the walkways, leaving lots of fertilizer and hopefully eating lots of bugs! All of my fall crops are under garden blankets over low hoop wires to protect them from the chickens.

A fellow MG classmate and I helped another fellow classmate (and one of my spring seminar partners) work on getting his 100' row of thornless blackberries weeded and propagating. He gave each of a bunch of volunteer plants that were outside the row area. I had also bought 10 plants last week, so I spent yesterday morning planting all of the blackberries in my garden, plus a bunch of grape vines that I've had growing in buckets since last year. I still have several new grape vines to detach from the mother plants on my grape row to move and a few dozen everbearer strawberry plants. I've been trying to get these planted since last spring.

Hope everyone has a great day!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8809162

MsRobin ~ sounds like all is going wonderful in your end of the world. Please don't feel guilty for receiving the rain. Feel blessed and enjoy it. Even in this drought, there are lessons to be learned. It gives me a new appreciation for the necessities in life and a warning to be better prepared and less dependent.

I have always heard that once the garden plants are established, you can turn the chickens into it and they rarely bother the plants or fruits but will tend to the garden exactly as yours are doing. Those gals may be good gardening companions when it comes to the bugs.

The whiteflies are covering my garden spot up. They are trying to kill the weaker fall tomato plants and did kill a few cucumber vines. I think (being out after dark) that I am going to try something different. I noticed they swarmed around a flashlight. Yellow sticky traps will catch them but I don't want to snag the hummers during daytime. I'm thinking I'll hang a light out there with flypaper nearby and see how many I can harvest at night. Kinda like poaching.

Cooler temps today. The past two have been 105 and 102 respectively. The summer that never seems to end...

Anyword from Hineni?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8809180

I talked to her last night. She's doing fine, but misses being home.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8809316

Well, I'm still alive this morning... Sore and stiff as can be, though. Maybe all the kneeling, bending, etc, today installing the shoe and quarter-round molding in the new room will loosen some of it...

We're supposed to get rain for the next 3 days, and my yard is littered with stacks of cardboard and alfalfa bales to start some sheet composting for the new planting areas next year. I'm also planning to get under the house again today and install the drain piping for the greywater system... which may not happen if we get a lot of rain.

Here's a link that may interest some of you:
Introduction to Permaculture - 40 hours of Free video lectures
http://permaculture-media-download.blogspot.com/2011/09/introduction-to-permaculture-40-hours.html

Watch online all lectures for Free here:
http://courses.ncsu.edu/hs432/common/podcasts/

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8809331

pod, the third link you posted above does not work... (reap-canada...)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8809417

Of all days to happen, I had a minor emergency this morning. Well. not so much me, as all my goldfish. Went to the kitchen to start packing boxes for delivery today and saw out the kitchen window that the garden pond was almost empty. I heard the waterfall all morning, so didn't realize there was a problem. The flopping fish weren't too happy. I ran out barefoot, still in my nightgown, unplugged the pump and tried to figure out what happened. Since we got rain last night, the ground was wet enough that I couldn't tell where the pond water went. So far, no casualties. :)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8810131

Glad there were not casualties and I hope you can remedy the problem for the fishies. Don't you hate it when a day begins that way!?!!

Darius ~ thanks for the links you posted. I will have to explore them when I can sit unmolested for a while. Sounds interesting.

I attempted to correct the reap-canada link but not able to, sorry.
My Adobe Acrobat is not as acrobatic as it should be but I believe there is an issue on the other end.
That page was from 2006 and the path has probably been changed.

Perhaps Cocoa will be along and be able to remedy it. If anyone can fix it ~ she can. That's what Moms are good at! lol

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8811965

hey gang
well to much going on here and i just didn't have time to say "HOWDY "
got my black berrys in
off to farmers market today
bbl
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2011
6:07 AM

Post #8811994

hmmm... wonder if she's shopping? or selling? off to work here...
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8812137

I'm so sorry, I drop the ball on this one. This link should take you to the pdf
http://www.reap-canada.com/online_library/IntDev/id_bokashi/

Hectic week, things are quickly melting down at school with my oldest son. He and his teachers are extremely frustrated. He hates school, he thinks the teachers hate him. He's not doing any of his work, when he does, it's minimal effort. He's failing just about everything, including science. Then out of blue, we get an invitation for him to join a Duke University talented program, because he scores at a college level in science. They want him to take the SAT or ACT now, so they can monitor him into high school. I don't how that will turn out, we can't get though 20 minutes of homework without it turning into 4 hours of crying, hyperventilating, panic attacks on his part, much less a 4 hour college entrance test. I feel more then ever, I have to get him out of public school and focus on his abilities. Hopefully, he can get back to a point where he enjoys learning again.

Not all bad news, I've had so much trouble trying to detect heat in the dairy cows since the summer was so hot. This morning both ladies were acting squirrelly, so sent I them out into the pasture with the beef bull. Sure enough, love was in the air... fingers crossed for June calves!

Thanks, Robin, it's good to hear from Hineni, if only through the grapevine. Tell her we said, "hello" :0)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8812306

I think it's a shame the public schools can't figure out how to deal with a bright student. Sounds like a good plan to homeschool and focus on his science affinity.

Here's a photo of the back room I've been working on. Hard to take a photo because the room is long and narrow. Installing the insulated steel door was a bear because the wall isn't plumb. I hope to finish it this coming week when my sis is off work. She'll do the painting while I work on making the frame for the window, and I have to get under the house and power the electric outlets.

Thumbnail by darius

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2011
4:40 AM

Post #8813078

Darius, looks great!

(((Cocoa_Lulu))) one of my boys was like that.

I hope all of our southern friends are playing in the rain. Heard a good portion of Texas was getting rain. Not enough or as much as needed, but some. :)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8814514

Happy Birthday, Cajun!

Got a little rain yesterday (1/4") and it's sprinkling this morning. The grass is green again.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8814563

We finally got 31 ducklings out of 34 eggs. Today we are setting some guinea eggs and we have another duckling hatch that should start happening in about 10 more days. This is sooooo cool!! Debbie made me a quilt for my bed for my birthday Saturday and is making me patchwork quilts for drapes in my living room and the rest of the house to match. The grandkids were here for the weekend and we got 7 cords of wood split and stacked, so the woodshop will be warm this winter. I'm going to start the new chicken coops this week. I talked with the guys in the Village and they are going to bring me about 5 loads of leaves for the new garden, so next year the stuff ought to just JUMP out of the ground.
I love fall. It gives me so many ideas for the next year and though I'm working everyday, it's not like I have to finish everything before the next rain or whatever.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8814602

Nik, that ALL sounds pretty cool... from ducklings to quilts to firewood!

Happy Birthday, Caj!

Here are a couple of links and interesting thoughts on home schooling
To Reform Education, Outsource It To Parents
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chunkamui/2011/09/08/to-reform-education-outsource-it-to-parents/

Homeschooling the Key to Educational Reform??
http://happilyhome.blogspot.com/2011/09/homeschooling-key-to-educational-reform.html

It has been cool enough here at night to have a fire, but I have so much crap temporarily stored in the living room that I'm afraid of a fire. (It's stuff I moved out of the way so I could get the chest freezer moved out of the pantry.) I did clear a small path yesterday, but until I re-organize the pantry I'm just moving stuff from one pile to another!

I worked some yesterday starting on sheet composting a new growing area, higher up out of the flood zone. I got nearly 400 square feet partially covered, about a third of the area I want to do this fall. Next comes a layer of wood chips from last summer, and some amendments... then a layer of topsoil.

Thumbnail by darius

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8814810

Darius, looking good on the new garden space! I have the same problem with moving stuff around when I decide to make some changes. But it always feels so good when it's done.

Way to go, Nik! Debbie sure takes good care of you.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8815306

happy birthday Cajun !
wow nice work darius.
Nik good news on the ducklings .
Cocoa Sure hope your son can get some help . No fun to be in that situation for either of you. Sending warm thoughts to you and son.
LOL but i had to reread your cow love story LOL
got some idea's for farmers market
apple dumplings
hot apple cider and a green punch to serve with gummy worms and gummy eyeballs in it for OCt
doing caramel apples too.
its raining here today. which is good. i don't have to water :) !
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8815457

30% chance of rain today, so I rode the bike to work - it rained. The morning ride was cold, though the temp was 58 when you add the wind chill at 55 MPH - burr. The ride home was better. This morning the reported chance of rain for tomorrow was 40%, now it is 60%. Needless to say the Shadow will stay in the shed in the morning & I will take the truck.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8816313

never fails on the rain the day you want to ride in to work .
we got rain
to muddy to do much today outside
chickens are feed
dog is feed
grocery kind of day spent to much :P
tried to make some apple dumpings for farmers market but just can't break it down in cost to make any money ? bummer.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8820460

I've signed up for a 1-day conference in Bristol, TN in mid October. "Goods from the Woods" is the name, and will cover ginseng, ramps, shiitake mushrooms, elderberries, and pawpaws.

I am assuming it will cover both growing and wildcrafting, but don't have any facts because I haven't seen the brochure. However, it's only 50 miles away, and it's free, so I'll gain some knowledge either way!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8820953

What day in October ?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8821029

Friday, Oct. 14. Want the contact info to reserve a spot?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8821033

Think I have my work cut out for me? Load of cardboard I picked up last night... and today another load of alfalfa. Too rainy to take pictures today.

Thumbnail by darius

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8821070

Great score, Darius! And the conference sounds wonderful. Wish I wasn't so far away.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2011
3:23 AM

Post #8821596

Happens that I am off work on that day ! Do you have a link to online info about it?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8821612

It's sponsored by ASD (Appalachian Sustainable Development), but it's not on their website that I can find. Deni Peterson is handling it.

Denise Peterson
Learning Landscapes Manager
Appalachian Sustainable Development
310 West Valley Street, Abingdon, VA 24210
Phone: 276-623-1121
Email: dpeterson@asdevelop.org

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8823438

Who ever said gardening was easy?

I'm starting to put up some hoops to cover fall veggies with frost-protective fabric. It's my first attempt, and I'm flying by the seat of my pants even though I have read oodles of "how-to's". The first few hoops are up... they are some old, used PVC tubing I've dragged around 10-15 years! They span a wider area than I have planted (by one foot) so today I have been digging grass and weeds from that one foot.

The good news is that it gives me room for 2 rows of spinach, which I just now planted. :) I also transplanted a few more carrots from their seedling tray; 90% of the ones I planted earlier got wiped out by TS Lee. So were most of the purple cauliflower, beets and Brussels sprouts, but I think it's too late to start more seeds.

I'm trying to cover/add 100 square feet per day on my sheet composting area, but don't make it some days... like today.

Thumbnail by darius

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8823533

Looking good, Darius. I just used some spare bricks along the edges (1 every 4' or so) to hold down the garden blanket edges. It doesn't whip around like plastic does. I gathered the ends and layed a brick on it. Some I used plastic gripper clamps to hold the gather near ground. Both ways work well.

I'm stuck at the bottom of this circling weather pattern. I am sure getting tired of cloud cover.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8823592

Good thoughts, Robin. I planned to deal with anchoring the fabric when I get to installing it, but I do have lots of rocks nearby.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8824156

I just had a round of nasty weather. Had 3 tornados warnings, one right after the other for 1 1/2 hours. Didn't have much wind, but got 2" of rain and it's still sprinkling. I'm good for rain now, if anyone else wants to snag this weather system. Be sure to take the clouds too, as I'm really tired of this gloomy weather.

I heard on the news earlier that our friends in the south need 15"-20" in one rainfall to get out of their drought. Praying for rain for all ya'll, but at one time? Wouldn't that cause an awful lot of flooding?

I think it's safe to go to bed now...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8824368

Msrobin ~Glad you are safe from ill weather. Yep, a lot of flooding. We tried it once, got 18" in 24 hours. Now, we'd take it any way it comes. I sit between two large reservoirs in a green area of the state and the nearby town is in stage 4 ~ extreme water restrictions. But good comes from bad and I see it everywhere from my small level up to the state making water preparations due to the massive growth for the states' population.

BTW, thanks for keeping us posted on Hineni. Tell her she is missed... again.

Hadn't been here lately and I am impressed with the type of cardboard you are using, Darius. All I am snagging is what comes thru work. I am also impressed with the size you are reclaiming for your sheet composting. Much smaller scale here. I love to see how lush the land looks in the background of your photos too. Pretty area.

Dyson ~ I'm jealous if you do get to attend the conference, but I hope you do. If so, please report back to us ~ both of you?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8824524

pod, thanks. I've probably bitten off far more than I can chew with projects!

When I returned the inter-library loaned book "Gaia's Garden" yesterday, I had a talk about it with the head Librarian in our small library. She's going to order a copy for our library! Of course, just having it on the shelves won't get it read, so I'm thinking I need to be creative over the winter months about ideas for influencing interest in it, and the concepts.

Robin, three tornado warnings? Scary! Glad it was nothing more than warnings and rain. The radar looks like the lower part of that storm circle is still stuck over KY, but it's bound to move east to me sooner or later.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8824687

Ever have a "DUH!" moment?

I had one today reading about deer deterrents! What I read sounded SO simple, and such an obvious "fix" that I'm surprised I haven't seen it around before!!!

If you have a deer problem, let me know and I'll post it (or send it to you).
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2011

Post #8824856

Darius, I don't have a deer problem at this time, but a local friend has a serious problem. Would love to know a deterrent that works.

The storm actually seems to be pretty slow moving east, but I look for you all to get it soon. Where I'm located, I'm on the southwest edge of my county and there are 3 other county lines within 2-5 miles. The first warning included the southern edge of my county and the 2 counties just south of me. The second warning was my whole county. The 3rd warning was because of another band of storms coming through the first area again.

So you really enjoyed that book? I have a hard time figuring out what books I need to read.

Podster, good to see you back. :) There's several people MIA these days.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8824939

Robin, If I could only ever have ONE garden book, that would be the one. Check your local library; if they don't have it, they can order it inter-library loan, but you may have to pay some postage (I do).

I'll email you the deer info.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8825754

I haven't been around much...Remember the situation of me taking in my nephew so he could have a break from his unruly family but his mom changed her mind cause she didnt want others to think she was a bad mom..
Well...it turns out that my sister wanted the break more...She said she is depressed, stressed, and having a responsibility meltdown and the only responsibilities she has is taking care of 5 children.. and they are alllllll in school...hm...She gave temporary custody of all her 5 children to 3 of us sisters...divided up...I ended up with the two oldest boys. I just had to put them in school here and the mom is off over the road with her husband in an 18 wheeler. A 3 month vacation from the life she can't stand. It's one of those situation where I can't say much of how I think cause i am afraid ill never see the kids again so I keep most of my opinions to myself.
So here I work...organizing two more children and buying them clothes cause they didn't have hardly any. Not even underclothes. I watched the boys last weekend so she could go out on a date with her husband and they ended up having a $70 dinner together while their children sit without underclothes and not many regular clothes and a yard full of starving animals with household trash everywhere.. What kind of parents do that? I hope she never takes them back cause it would break my heart knowing what they will have to live with in the future...or I can always give them what they need even if they are not living with me. Her neglect goes deeper than clothing. The youngest children are staying down the road with my other sister. You wouldn't believe the information she has collected. OUt of the mouth of babes. My heart truly weeps for them.

I did manage to get all my cole crops planted but my tomato plants have been neglected lately. House construction still in progress with an electric heat system partially set up. We dont have the wood burner set up yet. All the new baby chicks are still alive and well. The goat is filling up with milk but I still have no idea when that baby will come. I bred the rabbit again yesterday. I'm just going around and around lately.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8825825

(((Cricket)))
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8826188

Hello everyone. So glad I stopped in to see what was going on. (Thank you for the link Robin.)You all have some great ideas here! Looks like I will have some research to do. All this talk of cardboard and hoops and such has my head just a spinning. lol Love the way you all share information and links to more information.

Most of my homestead projects are on hold for the next few days. I am, and have been, potting up plants and bulbs to take to a plant swap this weekend. But come Monday morning I will be looking very closely at the pile of rebar we have hauled around for a few years, and a pile of PVC pipe that was here when we moved in. lol My place is on top of a hill, and the garden area gets almost full sun all day long. I'm thinking a hoop structure would be great to shade some of the plants out there now. And I think I may be able to use it to keep things protected from wind and cold later.

Darius, I have a double wide manufactured home with some of the same plumbing problems that you have. And although I already have a grey water system set up - it seems to run uphill and doesn't seem to be ventilated. When I use my washer one of the sinks in the master bath and the kitchen sink bubble and spew. It's a little annoying to say the least. And to top it off - the toilet in the master bathroom is not set up right. The line drops straight down to the ground and runs along the ground to where the other two toilets connect to the septic tank. We keep our fingers crossed when we have company - that no one puts anything 'solid' in it. lol There are other plumbing issues too. Funny thing, we were told a plumber lived here before us!! lol Oh well, like I said before all it takes is elbow grease and money.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8826436

Cricket thank you for taking them in. Some families would not even think of doing that.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 27, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8826501

Yay for you, AND the boys, Cricket!

TX... Yep, sounds like the same plumbing design and problems, only ours is a single-wide that has stick-built additions.

I spent 2-1/2 hours on the phone this morning, fixing my internet and wireless problems... that's on top of 3 hours yesterday. Computer and wireless are both finally up and running properly, but not the VOIP Vonage telephone. I'll have a new home phone service (and number) sometime Friday. Trashed the Vonage unit, which may be what started all the problems. I'd use just my cell if I could get any signal here at home!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 27, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8827242

((((Cricket ))))) bless you . That is a tough one indeed.
my good friend has a sister who is a crack head and dumped off her three kids on her. Those kids were in such bad shape. It broke my heart. We did all we could for them. Then 1 yr later she came walking in her house and took them back ! ?
my kids and i sure miss them. My friend is still broken hearted about it.
We just had to stop asking ourselves " why ? " .
darius would love to know about the deer repellant. hope you get your internet problems fixed.
we have rain .
more on the way.
got some great pumpkins today and i will try and get a pic and see if you can help me ID one of them.
i think its the one that looks like a big wheel of cheese ?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8827474

Sue, here's the fencing idea that captured my attention. I've put the URL for the thread too because there is some other discussion.

Fantastic Deer fencing idea
http://www.permies.com/permaculture-forums/1052_0/permaculture/deer-deterring-perennials

Deer will eat practically anything that isn't outright poisonous. And they can jump almost any fence made, for sure 12 feet, and possibly even 15 feet (http://www.invisible-deer-fence.com/info/deer_behavior_and_motives_1.htm).

But there is a way. I've used it, and it works beautifully. People seriously doubt it, probably because it's just too simple. But it does work, honest!

Get some 3' tall welded wire fencing, like the 2x4" mesh. Lay it down flat on the ground around your garden area, leaving no gap in your perimeter.

That's it. I said it was simple. No posts, no clippy things, no holes, no concrete, no fighting big rocks. Here's why it works:

1. Deer are prey animals. Predatory animals have both eyes looking forward (dogs, cats, raccoons, coyotes, bears, etc). Prey animals (horses, cows, deer) tend to have their eyes placed more to the sides of their heads. While this is good for them to have a wider field of vision to see approaching predators, it does have some drawbacks, like...

2. Deer, cows and horses can't see their feet. You know those bars embedded in pavement called 'cattle guards'? Cows won't cross them (even painted lines of the same size) because they can see them as they approach them, and think they will get a foot caught if they try to cross. A prey animal with a captured foot is now called 'a predator's dinner'. All of these animals fear foot traps.

3. Because they can't see their feet and fear foot traps, they won't jump a wire mesh foot trap because they don't know how far it extends. They won't, they really won't. Would you try to jump a deep chasm in two jumps?

I did this in a rental place after reading about it in Organic Gardening. My garden area was about 15x20 ft. I laid fencing all around it, with no gaps, and planted lettuce, peas, tomatoes and corn. The deer came and looked longingly at my young plants. I saw one actually put a foot out and touch the wire, and she jerked her foot back. Five does and a nubbin buck. They were lined up, staring at my garden, like horses at a rail fence. They they moved on. Every day, going and coming from water, they stopped and looked. The only thing they got was an errant pea vine that outgrew its trellis and leaned outside the wire mesh. CHOMP! Nicely pruned, thank you, but that was all.

Flatten the mesh enough (or pin it down) on grass, and you can mow right over it. You don't have to bother with a gate because you just walk across it. And then you lift it up, roll it up, and take it with you when you move.

It really does work. Yes, I know it's too simple, but you'll just have to deal with it.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8827524

wow that is simple ? ! who'd of thunk . thanks darius
someone told me to use Irish Spring soap ?
welp off to press some cider today
bbl

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 28, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8827530

A solid fence also works. Like tightly spaced boards or other solid material. About 5 ft high. If they can't see whats on the other side, they won't jump over it.
We use high powered electric fence. Never go near that. We had our carrots & beets surrounded all summer. They were never in there. After we took it down, a row of spent swiss chard only lasted a couple days.

We used wood stakes for tomatoes this summer. I bought 1 x 6 x 10 ft treated boards. Cut them into 1 x 1 x 5 ft. pieces. I trimmed the plants to one stem. Fastened the plants with this tool.
http://www.harrisseeds.com/storefront/p-13595-tool-wide-mouth-tapetool.aspx
We used this because of the fact we have so many plants. Needed something quick.
We ended up with lots of nice large tomatoes.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8827709

Bernie, I'd need a small fortune to put up as much solid board fencing as I'd need.

Garlic is serves to deter insect pests from attacking other crops in the garden. For this reason, many gardeners plant garlic around the perimeter of their garden. Don't know if it would deter deer, but worth a try if you raise garlic!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 28, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8828001

A loose dog or two in the yard will also keep deer away.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8828381

Darius ~ I like the logic with that level fencing. I don't have need for it but have others to pass it on to, I know they will test prove it.

Cricket ~ thoughts and prayers are with you. Children don't need to be raised with money, rather with love and I feel you and yours will be able to provide. You will be in their hearts forever.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8828428

I may start to have our dog poop over by my garden. i have seen the plastic life size coyotes that move in the wind.
they seem to work for the geese .
Bernie i may look into that little tool you posted the link on. Looks like it would save me some time.
i have used Coyote Urine granules . That seemed to work pretty good. But costly . $$
i love planting garlic. so easy crop to maintain !
no real problems and no deer problems
i have learnt to use 3" pvc pipe for mice traps.
stick blue squares ( mouse poison ) from TSC . stick in a 3 ' long pvc
keeps kids and dogs out of reach of the poison.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8828458

Today was another day up on the roof, and then under the house. Got part of the greywater drain installed, only to find I was short one fitting. By the me we got back from Lowe's (80 mile round-trip) it was dark-thirty. So, tomorrow's another day.

Here's me in my "Zoot Suit", ready to crawl under the house. Anybody here old enough to remember Zoot suits? LOL.

Thumbnail by darius

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2011
3:08 AM

Post #8828790

Darius, very stylish! LOL Glad you are almost done with the graywater project. What were you doing on the roof?

I've heard the words "Zoot suit" before, not sure that I know exactly what it was. Seems to me it was in regards to the jitterbug era.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8828884

Yeah, it was that era, 1930's - early 1940's. Baggy pants pegged at the ankles is all I actually remember. The elastic in the bottom of the legs of this tyvek suit make me remember the phrase. I'll tell ya, it gets HOT in that suit because it does not breathe. Thought I'd pass out or have a heat stroke under the house.

The roof still leaks a bit so I was patching the patches. :)

The greywater plumbing part "maybe" will get mostly done today, at least running the drain to outside the end of the house. Right now we have light rain. The other hard part will be digging 2 small filtering bog ponds neat year!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8829658

nice suit darius :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8829670

Hooray!! My greywater line is finally plumbed outside, past the end of the house!!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2011

Post #8829719

congrats darius !
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8829981

That's great Darius!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8830152

Yucko... the Weatherman now says down to 40 tonight, which means much colder here by the creek, usually by 5-7.

While I was up on the roof, I checked the chimney, which needs cleaning again before building a fire in the wood stove... but more importantly, the hoop/row cover I'm making needs to get finished and ready for covering before we have hard frosts.

I still have to get back under the house and seal off the 2 holes I cut in the skirting to access the laundry room floor where I added new drain. Possums wintered under there 2 years ago and tore up the flexible fiberglass heat ducts, to the tune of repairs costing almost $1,000 (that included sealing all the holes where small animals could get in).

The entire kitchen counter has been covered with paste tomatoes for 5-6 days now and some are starting to get a tad over-ripe... so tomatoes MUST be done today even if I freeze the cooked down sauce until I have time to can. Plus I have 2 gallons of milk fast approaching the use-by date, so it's either make cheese or toss the $6 gallon milk.

All this work must be some kind of payback for all my wickedness when I was young!!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8830163

LOL ~ sounds like there is not enough of you to go around. Liked the zoot suit too but like MsRobin, I've heard the term but thought it was worn with spats.

We are still savoring temps in excess of 100 this week. I'm still fighting whiteflies in the vegies but the spinach vine and roselle are loving this heat. I harvested a good amount of roselle calyces yesterday with more coming on.

With these temperatures, I chuckle everytime I read the title of this thread.
Have a great day everyone... off to slay the dragon.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 30, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8830260

Well, the weather folks say it IS supposed to cool off this week end...
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8830875

It was cool here yesterday, when a storm blew through. It even blew out my electric - and it stayed out all day. Since I live so far out, didn't get someone out to reset the transformer till well after dark. Today it's hot and steamy again. I just realized how unprepared we are for this sort of thing. Need to get to work on a wind generator, or see about a few solar panels along with a generator for emergencies right now. lol No electric - no water, no plumbing, no nothing - except for phone, when we don't have electric.

Boy Darius, you sure have your hands full with all that needs doing. Wish you had my weather now, or lived close to someone that could give you a hand with everything. But you can always make buttermilk with the milk if it clabbers. lol

And something got into my garden and ate every last spinach plant last night!! Nothing else, just the spinach. ( I think it may have been grasshoppers. They are really big and bad out here. lol)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8831159

thanks for all the prayers and hugs = update is= sister is suppose to see a doctor for depression. She is not on any drugs but goes out to eat a lot and over weight so she is seeing a doctor about her weight too.

Hubby raked most of our front lawn today and wheel barrowed it to the barn. (outside)
I never thought about saving all the grass clippings for animal usage until today. He wheeled in a huge
pile of clippings= mostly dry. Even though it is loose the pile is bigger than a roll of hay. Most of that will be
going in the barn stall after It dries from spraying it down with oxine. I am thinking about making a round fence
hay ring under the barn roof to save all the future dry clippings. Recon it will store well that way? Maybe use
a pallet on the bottom? The barn floor never gets wet.
My front lawn is huge. After thinking about all those clippings that sat out there and went to waste---sigh... The front yard use to be a horse pasture. What do ya think?

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8831395

I use the bagged grass clippings from our yard (4 acres) to mulch our garden rows, and for chicken and rabbit bedding. As it decomposes, it also adds nitrogen to the soil.

It was 39* when I got up this morning. I hate winter!

I hung out at a friend's house yesterday while her daughters and their friends prepared for one daughter's wedding. It's outside this afternoon on the hilltop where they will be building their house on the family farm. Hay bales for seating, bouquet of wildflowers, quilts for tablecloths, all serving dishes are wooden. I loaned them what I had that fit the theme and offered to help, but the younger girls have it totally under control.

Well, I'm off to check out the garden. Temperature-wise, it's not looking good for the tomatoes, peppers and eggplants.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8831399

Sounds like a plan, Cricket!

MY plans for yesterday went awry. I laid out the row cover fabric only to discover it is 18" more narrow that what the guy told me. That means my hoops are all too long. I thought I'd pull them all off the rebar today, cut them down and start over... but it's cold, windy and raining. The weather won't hurt anything but me!

I had always heard you could keep slugs out of a bed by putting a strip of copper around the bed. I tried it several years ago with a roll of 1" wide copper tape, and it didn't work. Turns out you need at least 3" of coppe3 the slugs have to climb across in order to set up enough galvanic action to stop them.

I really need slug collars on some of those plants... so on impulse, I bought a roll of copper flashing yesterday at Lowe's. 10" wide and 10' long. It's thin enough to cut with scissors. Expensive (it had gone up 30% in just a month!) but the collars can be re-used and eventually sold for scrap. I had planned to order slightly heavier copper online, and probably will take this roll back to Lowe's. Heavier copper will hold up longer. I'm thinking it needs to be a piece I can wrap around a plant already in the ground (and tape the seam), and stiff enough to push into the dirt at least an inch or so.

For a slug barrier, this site recommends 5 mil minimum thickness (the roll from Lowe's is only 3 mil), but I think to make collars I can use over and over, I should get something a little thicker. I'm thinking maybe the 10 mil sometimes used as bar tops and kitchen backsplash projects. Here's the slug barrier page: http://basiccopper.com/copper-foil-slug-snail-barrier.html
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8831436

Tx, forgot to mention there was some emergency preparedness discussion about installing outdoor solar motion detecter lights IN the house, with the little solar window in a south facing window. Not a lot of light, but enough to get by. Plus for those quick trips into a room, no need to flip the lights on, so saves a little money. Some other ideas...Rain barrels for extra water, I know no rain, but fill them with a hose to start. Add a a few gallons of stored drinking water. I bought a couple of lanterns at Walmart a couple of years ago. One is hand-crank with a radio and cell phone charger, and the other is solar powered.

Darius, that's terrible when you go to all that work prepping for a project and then have something go awry. Luckily the pvc is easy to cut. I have lots of 2' pieces of pvc cut off tunnel ribs that I use elsewhere in the garden.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8831453

we're heading to October

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223293/

See you there

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8831457

On preparedness... I'm still thinking I should somehow get solar PV panel(s) and rig a bit of emergency power. Last year, we were without power 10 days at Christmas. Of course, the fairly cheap small portable panels that charge laptops (and cell phones) is of little value if the internet is down in my area!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America