Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hostas: Let's see YOUR pictures of hostas beginning with "M"

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 40, Views: 293
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8789878

Today we go on to "M" hostas. First is 'Mack the Knife'. I've had this one since spring 2004, but it has languished too close to my driveway and too close to the Linden tree where it got neither enough moisture nor light. My mid July, the margins of the leaves were in tatters and its growth rate was certainly not spectacular.

This year I lifted it, took a couple of divisions and put it back in a different location and I think I've given it a new lease on life. It's still looking pretty good even though it got a bit sunburnt in June. This picture taken July 19.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8789880

'Marilyn Monroe' - this lovely green hosta has rippled leaves with white backs that show in the breeze. It was new to me spring 2006 and was moved to brighter light in 2009. Since I moved it, she has bloomed every year in September. This picture taken July 19.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8789882

'Masquerade' was one of my very early hostas - I've had it over a decade. It's also one of the smallest and slowest growing plants I have. I had two - the second year I grew it, it was so late to emerge that I bought another - but one became infected with nematodes this year and I pitched it. I also moved this one from a garden border where 'Kifukurin Ko Mame' was threatening to swamp it, into a pot. This picture taken July 16.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8789886

'Mighty Mouse' was new June 2010 and this picture was taken August 6. It has not yet seen a lot of growth, but it holds up well during the entire season.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8789890

This is also a 'Mighty Mouse' taken July 16. Was new to me this year. I bought it because the leaves were so confused - virtually none of them marked as they should be - and I've dubbed it 'Mighty Confused Mouse'. It will be interesting to see what happens to this one.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8789895

Let's stay with the mice for just a bit. This is 'Mouse Trap' taken August 3. The plant was received August 2010 and looks nearly identical to 'Snow Mouse' which I also received last year although I seem to have a few leaves which are trying to go solid blue on this one.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8789899

And my entire "Mouse" garden under the watchful gaze of grinning cat.
The largest one is 'Blue Mouse Ears'. Others in the garden are 'Frosted Mouse Ears', 'Snow Mouse', Mouse Trap', Mighty Mouse', 'Country Mouse' (from a different family), 'Cat and Mouse', 'Royal Mouse Ears', 'Holy Mouse Ears' and the 'Mighty Confused Mouse'.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8789902

Mountain Snow, planted in 2009. Leave are quite thin, so this is one of the few plants that shows any insect damage. Always the latest to emerge at the end of May but flowers in June. It's a montana, so I'm waiting for it to develop some size in the next few years before I decide whether to keep it.

Thumbnail by Eleven

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8789905

'Moonstruck' taken June 2. This one was new spring 2007 and where I first planted it, the leaves had melted out to ribbons by the middle of July. I moved it to the east side of my house where it gets morning light and usually it does reasonably well here, but this year, we had a dreary, wet May followed by a hot, sunny June. The plants didn't get hardened and the sun was intensified by white aluminum siding on two houses only about 10 feet apart. All the plants in this garden except 'June' got sunburnt this year.

However, this one is a real prima donna. A couple of years ago I lifted it to get a division for a friend and it sulked the rest of the summer. My intention is to lift and divide it and try it in several locations to see if I can find one it really likes. If that doesn't work, it's toast! But it is very pretty when it looks good.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8789906

'Moonstruck' flower taken Aug. 3.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8789911

This is what it looked like by July 15. Initially the holes were just from melt out from the sun, but then the slugs and earwigs moved in.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8789913

'Morning Light' was new to me in 2005 and has some of the same melt-out issues as 'Moonstruck' but not as severely. Unfortunately, it is also in the same garden east of my house and was also sunburnt in June this year. Photo taken June 22.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8789916

My last "M" hosta is 'My Claire'. Mine was new spring 2006 and this picture was taken June 29. 'My Claire' is a very pretty small hosta which until this year had never been divided. I find I tend to sometimes overlook it as it just goes steadily on with no real issues. This past spring when I had a plant sale, I took several divisions, totally divided the plant and replanted in 3 distinct groups which are gradually filling out and will look every bit as full next year as before I divided.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8789922

Minuteman (taken this morning after hurricane Irene, tuff dude!)

Thumbnail by virginiarose

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8789928

Eleven - I had a 'Mountain Snow' - was sent to me erroneously when I ordered something else and I wouldn't have known the difference (at first) except a friend who had the plant it was supposed to be said it didn't look like hers. I was later sent a replacement, but got to keep MS. However in 2009 when it emerged, I took a good look and decided it was infected with HVX. Since it has the potential to get quite large, I've not replaced it. BTW, that was the last (and it hope it stays that way) diagnosis of HVX in my garden.

This is what HVX looks like in 'Mountain Snow'.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8789964

Ann, I'm glad you haven't had any other HVX issues. My only one was with a Brim Cup that I purchased from a big box store. It emerged all ugly and contorted, similar to your pic.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8790296

I had a couple BEFORE that - plants purchased from good quality nurseries before they knew enough to test their stock. Crossing my fingers here, but I think that watching them carefully and meticulously cleaning my tools has paid off. Oh yes, I don't buy from box stores. BTW, I try to take pics of the entire collection once a week during the season so that I have a record of how they did. More than once, I've first noticed a problem with a plant when I was editing the pictures. Sometimes when we look at them in the garden, I think we tune out things we don't want to see.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8790315

Thankfully, that was in the beginning when I first got the hosta bug (haha, me, not the plants). I only purchased 2 hostas from big box stores and made sure to segregate them both in their own bed beneath a pine. Brim Cup was removed the next spring. Frances Williams still looks the same as when I brought it home. Funny though, later I identified 3 mature FW elsewhere in the garden, so I can easily remove these without a thought.
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8790657

Midnight Ride

Thumbnail by Rose1656

Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8790680

Mister Twister

Thumbnail by Rose1656

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8790699

Mister Twister isn't listed in the MyHostas database. Is that a garden name or is it the 'Whirlwind sport by Jan van den Top that they list just as 'Twister'? Please tell us more.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8790955

There's a blurb about Mister Twister from Northern Grown Perennials here:
http://www.mwt.net/~ngp/hostaintros.htm

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8791221

Thanks. "Our own unique Hosta Introductions" says it all. Since it IS from 'Whirlwind' it could be a simultaneous sport that is identical or nearly so to the one mentioned on the MyHostas Database. Neither are registered as yet anyway.
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8792397

Sorry I didn't respond to your question...we had a storm yesterday and lost power for several hours!
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 7, 2011
10:43 PM

Post #8798587

Planted in August 2010 this picture of 'Mystic Star was taken on may 11, 2011

Thumbnail by irawon

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 7, 2011
11:18 PM

Post #8798602

'Miss Ruby' on July 11. To me it looks a lot like 'Katsurawaga Beni'. It was planted last year.

Thumbnail by irawon

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 7, 2011
11:59 PM

Post #8798621

'Midas Touch' planted in 2010. Picture taken Sept 11.

Thumbnail by irawon

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8798928

'Miss Ruby''s leaves are, I think, slightly wider than 'Katsuragawa Beni' but, I agree. Very similar.

Irene - how many hostas did you acquire this year? Seems like you've been bitten bad by the disease.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 8, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8799099

Yes, I've been badly bitten. My dear hubby likes the hostas but he trembles, when he sees me with spade in hand under a tree with nothing underneath. I think, that's it for this year. Not going near another nursery.
Beginning with June first, I have planted the equivalent of one hosta per day.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2011 7:51 PM
allnitro
Waterloo, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 8, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8799852

'Miss Ruby' is a seedling from 'Katsuragawa Beni'
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 8, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8799932

Thanks for the info, allnitro. I may lose one of the two.
allnitro
Waterloo, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 16, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8811270

'Marrekech' is a delightful small plant with lots of movement. It was a little slow to get growing but well worth the wait.

Jeff White

This message was edited Sep 16, 2011 3:32 PM

Thumbnail by allnitro

Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8811383

'Mojito' is a very pretty green. I'm not sure how big it's supposed to get, but it's doing well in my garden!

Thumbnail by Rose1656

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8811423

[quote="allnitro"]'Marrekech' is a delightful small plant with lots of movement. It was a little slow to get growing but well worth the wait.

Jeff White

This message was edited Sep 16, 2011 3:32 PM[/quote]

Nice Hosta Jeff, seems like it would brighten things up nicely. How much sun does it get ?

Susan

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8811430

Rose, I see Mojito is on Q&Z and they say its a sport of Avocado and gets 24x52. Very impressive, thanks for sharing. :)
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 16, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8811545

Jeff, does 'Marrekech' maintain its yellow colour all season. It has a lovely form.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8811690

Love 'Marrekech'. Might have to get myself one of those.
allnitro
Waterloo, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 17, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8812208

Susan...'Marrekech' is a viridescent type of plant...starts out light colored and darkens up as the season progresses. This one is in a spot that gets a couple hours direct midday sun and seams to hold up pretty good. It is pretty green today... It is very bright yellow when it first comes up.

I am sure It will be a good fit in your garden Ann.

Jeff

Thumbnail by allnitro

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8812242

Great picture!! WOW. I bet your neighbours can see it from a long way off, do people stop to see what it is?? Seriously, I was reaching for my sunglasses. :)
Thanks for sharing it's definitely a 'must-have' !
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8813793

'Mary Marie Ann' photo taken today. Seems to be a better growing one than 'Golden Meadows' for me. I got this one last year from Land of the Giants.

Thumbnail by Rose1656

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 18, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8813847

Golden Meadows is not doing well for me either, I get sick every-time I look at it. It just doesn't look like it's supposed to and I feel I got ripped off because of all the money I spent for it. :(((

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America