Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cameras and Photography: Nikon

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 22, Views: 235
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
grits74571
Talihina, OK

September 2, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8789984

I have a basic Nikon d-40 and am thinking about stepping up to a little better model ,any one have a few suggestions? Now it must be a Nikon as I have too much $$$$$$ tied up in Nikor Lenses to change brands.So are there any Nikon users out there???
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8790317

Grits,

I plan to be a Nikon user, but I am waiting until I have budget to buy a Nikon Digital SLR. The Nikon D7000 is a relatively recent introduction, but frankly I am disappointed in the quality of the images that were posted for the D7000 on photoSIG:

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browse?id=49179

Maybe those images aren't representative of what the D7000 can do. It has good specs, and I am surprised that there aren't more good pictures from it posted. There are rumors of new Nikon models to be released later this year, some in the near future.

http://nikonrumors.com/

I am impressed generally by the posted image quality of the Nikon D300

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browse?id=42971

And also by its video-capable successor, the Nikon D300s

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browse?id=47063

I guess I am waiting for the replacement for the Nikon D300s. That might be announced fairly soon. You might want to browse or even join the Nikon Rumors Forum:

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/

I find some of the message threads there to be entertaining and interesting.

ZM
Strever
Hiouchi, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8792642

i have had a Nikon D100 with 4 lenses for a long time now
but 95% of the images i take are taken with a pocket size Point & Shoot
because it is the camera i always have with me
if there is a special image i want, i will take the Nikon back
usually with the macro lens on it & a tripod :-)
i have upgraded the pocket point & shoot 3 times now
but the BIG Nikon SLR is still brought out when i want that special image
even if it (older D100) is a smaller format then the newer cameras
i shoot a lot of images all of the time and most of them are deleted
but i also get a lot of good usable ones :-)

Dick

grits74571
Talihina, OK

September 4, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8792818

The nearest Camera store is in Fort Smith,Ar. about 65 miles away but I guess next time I am in FS will just have to go into Bedfords and see if I can browse a little bit ..What I would like is a camera that would let me set everyting with seperate controls like the shutter with the control wheel thats sits where the mode selector is nowadays Hey I miss the simple stuff...

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8792875

I bit the bullet and got a Nikon D5100 in July. Still using the kit 18-55mm lens and like it fine but when I get the credit card paid off I will get a 50mm f1.8 for nice close-ups of bugs and flowers, primarily. (it costs $219 at Abe's of Maine)

There are a lot of buttons to learn on this camera to get good with it. I switched, cold turkey, from a nice Minolta autofocus 35mm camera I got in 1993. I used it mostly in aperture priority mode with a 50mm, f1.5 lens. Sure is nice to cut the developing out of the process.

Here's a photo of my Celeste fig tree I took with the D5100 two days ago. I reduced the pixel count down to 500KB for ease in sending emails.

Thumbnail by pbyrley
Click the image for an enlarged view.

grits74571
Talihina, OK

September 5, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8795222

Let me tell you about a new thing I just bought it is a Neewer wide angle _ macro adapter that screws right onto the lens of your Kit 18-55 and does a good job albeit wth some vignetteing but it lets me get close enought to certain buildings mostly churches to avoid the cursed power lines and will focus at bout 3" (inches)and all this for 10 bucks or close enough all from Amazon check it out,Also will fit my 55-200 but I see no practical use for that ...
grits74571
Talihina, OK

September 5, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8795239

Taken with the Macro adapter in place at less than 6 feet

Thumbnail by grits74571
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MajiA
Kenner, LA

September 5, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8795332

[quote="pbyrley"]I bit the bullet and got a Nikon D5100 in July. Still using the kit 18-55mm lens and like it fine but when I get the credit card paid off I will get a 50mm f1.8 for nice close-ups of bugs and flowers, primarily. (it costs $219 at Abe's of Maine)

There are a lot of buttons to learn on this camera to get good with it. I switched, cold turkey, from a nice Minolta autofocus 35mm camera I got in 1993. I used it mostly in aperture priority mode with a 50mm, f1.5 lens. Sure is nice to cut the developing out of the process.

Here's a photo of my Celeste fig tree I took with the D5100 two days ago. I reduced the pixel count down to 500KB for ease in sending emails.[/quote]

Please make sure that you are looking at the newer 50/1.8 AF-S and not the older AF-D lens. The Nikon 50/1.8 AF-D will not autofocus on your D5100, as the D5100's autofocus works on only AF-S lens. However, if you are looking to do macros, you can get a Kenko Macro Tube from ebay which allows for electrical contacts to work on your lens and lens mount.

Good luck.
MajiA
Kenner, LA

September 5, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8795338

[quote="grits74571"]I have a basic Nikon d-40 and am thinking about stepping up to a little better model ,any one have a few suggestions? Now it must be a Nikon as I have too much $$$$$$ tied up in Nikor Lenses to change brands.So are there any Nikon users out there???[/quote]

It all depends on your budget. However, for a $1100 budget, my recommendation will be the Nikon D7000 (refurbished from Adorama). I have bought refurb stuff from them, and you can be rest assured that Adorama (or B&H Photo, or Cameta) are top class stores. The D7000 is one of the best APS-C sensor based cameras out there. Check out http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings . This is a computer based rating of cameras and the D7000 competes with the multi-thousand FX sensor based cameras.

If your budget does not allow, then go for the D3100. If you have a larger budget and can wait, I say wait for the next generation of the Nikon FX (the newer generation of the D700) to come out.

Good luck.

PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

September 6, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8795758

Really will depend on what your spending budget is, all of the currently available models are an "upgrade" to your current D40 in regards to technology. Save some money on the camera body and invest it in some good glass so you can get away from using a low cost macro adapter which just introduces unwanted/unsightly distortions and wreaks havoc with the metering & AF system. Even a D3X won't make a good picture if the glass in front of it is no good.

[quote="pbyrley"]...I will get a 50mm f1.8 for nice close-ups of bugs and flowers, primarily. [/quote]
As it was mentioned before make sure it is the new AF-S 50 f/1.8 lens. Also note that it's not really a good "close-up" lens with its 0.15x maximum reproduction ratio but since it is a sharp lens you can improve that with macro tubes, although you'll have loss of infinity focus and reduced light trade-off while mounted on the tubes. Still will have to get pretty close so not something for small skittish insects.

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8796641

Actually, I got the non--S lens because I am perfectly comfortable with manual focus and often prefer it. I was apparently not using it correctly and decided to send it back and get the AF-S lens which cost about $100 more. Not sure when I will get the extra money..
MajiA
Kenner, LA

September 6, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8796718

If you are going to use mainly for macro, then my recommendation will be the AF-S Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Micro.
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8796944

The Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX ED VR Micro Nikkor has the advantages of vibration reduction (image stabilization) and a greater working distance.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-85mm-3-5G-Digital-Cameras/dp/B002SQKVE4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1315369022&sr=8-6

ZM
(not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)
MajiA
Kenner, LA

September 6, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8796946

All the Nikon glass are great products. However, for macro work the 40mm is cost effective and perhaps the nearest in cost to the 50mm/1.8 AF-S. For the longest working distance, the Nikon 200/4 micro is great, but it does not have VR and comes with a hefty price tag. Well, life is full of compromises, isn't it? :)
grits74571
Talihina, OK

September 7, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8797983

Ok thanks for Y'all thoughts and input the budget is not the deciding factor obviously since I already have Nikon with a passel of lenses ..but always looking for more control..Been doing photo for over 40 years but this digital stuff is fairly new to me and may I add simply wonderful..
MajiA
Kenner, LA

September 7, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8798008

Well, I use the Nikon 90/2.8 VR-Micro for macro work and can recommend it highly. If you already have a bunch of Nikon F-Mount glass, then it maybe worthwhile to get the Kenko Macro Tube with electronic connections for Nikon F-Mount. Try it for macro work and if you find it too limiting, then check out the specialized macro lens.

Have fun :)
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8798526

Grits,

If your lenses are suitable for full-frame digital, the soon-to-be-replaced Nikon D700 might be to your liking.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D700-FX-Format-3-0-Inch-Body/dp/B001BTCSI6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315454542&sr=8-1

With only 12 megapixels in a full frame sensor, the individual pixels are relatively huge and very high quality, with very low noise. That results in very high image quality, as can be seen by studying the submissions for the D700 submitted to the photoSIG forum.

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browse?id=44917

There might be some good deals on the D700 as the introduction of its replacement nears. Its absence of video capability might not bother you. Its replacement will probably have considerably more megapixels and video capability.

ZM
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

September 8, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8798938

[quote="grits74571"]..but always looking for more control..[/quote]
LOL aren't we all.
All the DSLRs will give you the control, just that the higher level models add more button/wheel controls to the body. Automatic Scene modes are gone from the higher level camera bodies (D300 & up) which can be scary to those that are not familiar with the effects/use of aperture and shutter speed on a shot but that shouldn't be a problem with your 40 Years of doing photos ;).
The higher level ones are heavier and bulkier then their lower level brothers but have more features / capabilities / customization options in certain areas (some of which one will rarely or never use). The FX full frame cameras have generally better low light/high ISO performance but need full frame lenses for best performance, DX lenses will work on the FX bodies but IMO the result is not as good as a DX lens on a DX body. Something to consider if you have lots of DX lenses in your possession.
Hopefully your store has several models in store for you to take in your hand and see if the control layout is comfy for you to use and for your uses/demands. Would be a shame if you'd travel all that way and have nothing for hands on testing ;)

Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8799050

Grits,

What PanamonCreel said about FX lenses and DX lenses is important. You need to know which of your lenses are FX and which are DX before you make a decision about your next Nikon body. And what PC said about in-store handling is important too. A D700 might feel pretty huge compared to your D40. And it is not the largest of the FX bodies.

ZM
grits74571
Talihina, OK

September 9, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8800200

Had not given any thought to size but sure do not want anything much bigger than the d 40 that is one of it's greatest features
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8836418

Have you tried Ken rockwells site? .. Lots of info there and you can type in what you want to know/learn ... ( I'm a D80 user myself with a lot of lenses and like you, want to keep with the program of using them ) ...
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 26, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8864518

So I finally made it to a camera retailer Bedfords in Fort Smith Ar. they were so much help and let me handle all that I wanted . The d 7000 is just fantastic camera and it id surely my first choice a little bit thicker but otherwise pretty close in size to my 40
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8864966

The D7000 also has some impressive video capabilities, as well. Combine that with a macro lens, and you could get some wide screen moving pictures of the insect world. Now I guess I am holding out for 3D.

ZM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America