Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: pickling but not enough cucumbers ripe at same time

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 5, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

September 2, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8790227

I would like to make pickles but I am only having 5 to 6 cucumbers at a time ripen ,and that isn't enough .can you store cucmbers till I have enough or will they go bad . as you can tell I have never pickeled before.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

September 7, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8797352

Pick your cukes and put them in a plastic grocery bag. Tie it shut and store in the refrigerator. They should be good for at least 2 weeks. Hopefully you should have enough collected by then.

Janet
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8805065

Or do very small batches. Mix up your brine in quantity and just do up a few jars at a time. More time consuming, but you will have better results with extra fresh cukes. I've always tried to heat the brine before I even pick the cukes for the crispest pickles. Dills or B&B?
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

September 12, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8805103

I would like to do dills if I get enough cukes I will try B&B too.
Adobe_Rose
Boise, ID
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9190496

When I do pickles, I usually plant about a dozen or more cucumbers plants and grow them up a trellis or fence. This way I get a lot of cucumbers at once. I can pick the cucumbers small for sweet pickles or let them get bigger for other pickles. When I am tired of doing pickles, I pull the plants out of the ground, leaving one or 2 for eating.

We don't eat a lot of pickles so I only do this about every 3rd year. I give a lot away to family for Christmas, too.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

July 3, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9192179

I like the idea of growing them on the fence.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America