Photo by Melody

Tropicals & Tender Perennials: Am I a ginger?

Communities > Forums > Tropicals & Tender Perennials
Forum: Tropicals & Tender PerennialsReplies: 2, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
Orangeburg, SC

September 2, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8790461

Can anyone tell me what kind of ginger this is and when do I expect it to bloom?

Thumbnail by Deebie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Saint Gabriel, LA

September 2, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8790717

It is a Curcuma. It's impossible to tell which one it is by the foliage alone. There are spring bloomers and summer bloomers. IF I had to bet, I'd guess that yours is one of the spring bloomers. If so next spring would be the earliest but often a large clump must be established before blooming, just depends on which one. The better you treat it over this growing season the better it will do next year.

Tim Chapman
Orangeburg, SC

September 2, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8790836

Oh cool. Thanks for the ID. I received it by mistake in a trade. I was supposed to be getting various hedychiums. Oh well. I have another ginger that has refused to grow until these last few weeks. It's only a few inches tall. Probably too small to ID. I'll have to overwinter that one in the garage to ensure it's survival over the winter.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropicals & Tender Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America