Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Be careful what you wish for

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 21, Views: 130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8791644

wow have been praying along with everyone else for rain all summer. I have enough right now. Pond is overful full and about 8' from the domestic ducks cage. Hubbie is going to crate them and dolly them up to the aviary for me. I will put them in one of the gated nursery sections as they may harm my Exotics being they are so small compared the the domestics. Last time we got 10" of rain over about 3 hrs in the middle of the night and the water was waist deep in the duck cage. The geese heads were up to the top of the cage. What fun having to wade in there at 3 a.m. to get them out. It takes several weeks for the water to get out of the cage unless we don't get anymore rain. So far we got 3/4" all day yesterday to 7 p.m. last night. from 7 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. we got 1 3/4", from 2:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. we have gotten 4 1/2" and the worst has yet to come. 100% today and tomorrow and then 80% Sunday & Monday, then down to 40%. I am very thankful we are not getting it as a TS or Hurricane. Rain so far 7" and counting. They have predicted 15 to 20" with 10" average for everyone involved whew. My biggest concern is the movement of the coyotes out of the bottoms of the management area and coming up my area since the rivers will rise. A few months ago I had a stare off with a huge green-eyed gray coyote at 2 a.m. out with my little dog. I kept screaming for my DH. My little dog charged it standing 1' from it. It never moved. I think it was debating if it could get my dog and get away. I can't believe all the screaming I was doing it didn't run off. Finally it took a couple of steps away and stopped looking back at me, then kept repeating it until it was in the woods and took off. A couple of weeks ago it came back at 2 in the afternoon. to grab one of my domestics. I heard the ducks making funny noises and looked out the window just as it stepped out of the woods next to the Aviary toward them. I banged the window and it took off. It had gotten one a few days before but I thought Dh had left one out when he locked them up for me. I mixed 10 coumadin pills in some left over gravy and mixed it with dog food and put it i the woods near where I have seen it come from twice. Thankfully I have not seen it again but there was a pack making lots of noise in the bottom at the end of my Dam of the pond last week. I fired off a few round in that direction and haven't heard them for the last few nights. Will have to be on guard for a few weeks now.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8791701

water is in the lower end of the cage now. Got the ducks moved just before the bottom fell out again whew
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

September 3, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8791717

OH NO hope it stops soon
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8791826

add 2" more as of 30 minutes ago and it is flooding again now. Took some pics also 30 minutes ago and will take more when it slows down again. 9" total with more to come ;-(
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8791895

1 1/2" more for a total of 10 1/2" as of 6:40 p.m. Just watched the weather and have 2 more days of 100% chance rain. Winds are picking up now and they said we will have gust between 35 to 65 mph. Hmmmmmmm already have a huge pine limb come down at the back of the aviary. DH has a 8' ladder there and it hit that and bounced away thankfully but did take out the wire between the Aviary and Chicken runs that closes off the chicken yard to keep animals from getting in from the woods. All the yard seen here is now under water
3:30 pm pond already out of its bank and up into the lower yard

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8791899

duck cage at 3:30

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8791902

at 5:50 this is what I have

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8791905

its up hill into the woods

Thumbnail by DonnaB

porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 3, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8791925

I hope you don't float away! I'm sorry it is causing so much trouble for you, we would happily take it off your hands. There's nothing green here any more.

Be safe!
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8791939

Hopefully, it will just do a light drizzle instead of a pouring rain. I know that is not the normal pattern for an TS, but maybe the rain bands will split up right over you.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8792388

I know the feeling you are having,Donna..It has rained here since Friday morning and hasn't stopped yet..As of this morning..it is misting raining and not too much wind now..all my birds are safe and running around out in this crazy weather this morning..Yesterday they didnt want to go out of the hoophouse! Babe-great pryenees dog had to go check them out this morning (since they were not out and about) to make sure they were ok..she gave me an OK look..lol...

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8792632

Oh Donna , I just got on here and see the trouble you are having. Thank Heavens you finally got rain but I know how you feel when it all comes at one time! Poor baby!!
I am gearing up now for the Storm moving in my direction. We are already getting advisories about the TS. We have been warned about possible tornadoes and definite High winds. Flood watches have begun . We needed rain so badly but I sure wasnt ho0ping for a tropical Storm.
We have until tomrrow night when the really bad stuff is supposed to hit. So today I have been battening down all the hatches and locking all the "kids" up. Hopefully we wont get blown away!
Everyone, in the path of this nasty, Heres hoping all of you safety and love!!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8792759

2 more heavy but short lived down pours in the wee hrs of the morning for another 1 1/2" rain for a total of 12" now. None so far today but am now hearing thunder out from the west so I guess more is coming. Did even have the sun pop out a couple of times for a couple of minutes.
The Bluebird house entrance is at 5' so it looks like the yard is about 2 1/2' deep

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8792763

the duck cage goes 25' back into the water

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8792768

a area of the side yard where the waters runs like rapids out of the woods is in standing water backed up from the pond
This west side and north of the duck cage

This message was edited Sep 4, 2011 11:28 AM

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8792776

Hang in there Eufaula. I don't think the winds will be as bad as they are predicting. They haven't been for us so far.
Looking forward to the great cool front coming in after this mess moves out. Supposed to be in the upper 60's for high and low 60's for lows for a few days
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8792974

link for a good radar
http://www.accuweather.com/us/radar/sir/ms_/radar.asp?play=true

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8793336

Thanks Donna , I really like that link.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8793649

Eufaula zoom out on my link and then click on the box that comes up near you to get closer details for your area
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8794544

only 1" over night for a total 13" now and today doesn't look good. Only light rain so far thankfully
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8794793

yeah only 1/4" today and it is all past us now heading NE. Much cooler temps coming in now and expect them all week.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8794832

Yikes...Donna...
no long walks down to the pond now...
so you wshed for that.. .. you've heard the saying..
God's greatest gift is your unanswered prayers...
ya'll take care there... all the snakes are out looking for a new nice place ... and dinner..
All the best there..
picture.. my pond... it did OK with 10" of rain..as get no additional run off

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America