Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Heirloom Vegetables: It's Been a Great Year For Tomatoes!

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 24, Views: 414
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8791946

The weather this Spring was cool and the wettest on record here in northwestern Pa so I didn't have high hopes this garden season. June rolled around and things took a turn for the better. Hot sunny days and it always seemed to rain when we needed it. I grow 10 varieties of heirlooms and they have gone gangbusters!

Photo: Pineapple heirlooms picked today...Softball sized!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8797746

What a lovely photo! The green grass makes such a lovely background. Ah yes, I remember that! Green grass =D!
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8797929

terri...From what I've seen on the news there is not much green left in Texas. Hope you're hanging in there and dodging the fires!

early_bloomer
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8801041

What a scrumptious looking harvest!!! Awesome job, Early BLoomer.

We had a terrible growing season. After a cool, wet spring, we had relentless drought and heat. Although I have a watering system, everything has been so stressed from the heat that plants were prone to disease and every insect pest imaginable. I was able to harvest enough tomatoes for a small batch of sauce, but very few were of fresh, out-of-hand eating quality. Same with other crops, including zucchini, melons, squash. But there's always next year, right?
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8804148

Thanks, m2g...Sounds like you had a tough summer, but you're right, there's always next year. No doubt it will be better!

early_bloomer

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8806465

The name of this variety is Pineapple? Are they red in the center and yellow on the outside? I'd love to try that one. Where did you get the seeds for your heirloom varieties?
ErzsebetF
Swansea, SC
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8806484

Yes, in the southeast, my heirloom tomatoes did not do well at all. I watered twice a day many days during the hot dry weather from our well. It was not enough. I am also thinking that I should have used organic fertilizer more often...perhaps I would have seen better fruiting.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8807378

Hi Ann, Yes, "Pineapple" is the correct name. I bought my seeds form Baker Creek Heirloom seeds.

http://rareseeds.com/vegetables-p-z/tomatoes/striped/pineapple-tomato.html

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8876337

My grass is green again! Not very tall, but green! Y'all's is white now isn't it? =)) Still, can only grow tomatoes in the greenhouse now. But I finally have green grass again! May have to mow...

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9176060

early bloomer that is some tomatoe, thank you for the link as I'm very interested in this one, how would say it states and are you growing it again this year?

Jan
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9184036

Hi Jan...Yeah, I'm growing it again this year. I think they have excellent flavor. Perfect if you like a sweet tomato.

early_bloomer

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9184674

early_bloomer I did indeed find some pineapple seed, I can't wait to taste it. I've been so mater deprived for so many years, I'm almost just drooling right now in anticpation of the taste.

Jan

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9194527

I ate my fist tomato from the garden this season ,an Ester Hess. YEP! IT'S an old fashioned yellow tomato just like it says. And I should know I was there(lol).

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9195042

juhur7

Oh I bet it was good. So how is Anderson these days. My grandparents were born, raised and died there. I loved it there as I got to spend every summer with them. My grandmother is the one who go me into gardening, flowers and maters, nothing better than walking to the garden with a salt shaker and having a few good maters. LOL

Jan

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9195100

YEP!! DELIGHTFUL! Depending on long it has been since you have been here,as to things like no more Delco Remy factory on Pendelton ave.that was torn down a few years ago, everybody remembers that one it's Hayday! cars parked from one end of town to the other. Ain't nothing there these days but a big old empty field with a 10 foot fence around it.
A magnesium factory burned in in a fiery explosion a few years back and part of the town around Columbus &38TH STREET had to be evacuated,how about that refugees from Anderson...who would of thought. Anderson high school burned down a few years before that,the gym still stands as a community education building.
RR 9 is a super commercial strip drive from a
Anderson college to well past Applewood lot of miles and miles of stores and places to eat . You name it it is there somewhere! Everything from Lowe's to Wall-mart superstores to Texas roadhouse to white castle .
We have a Nestle"S quick factory that they are moving away though, the town ripped -em off about promises made. Yeah ,like that's news!!(LOL)
BESIDES any of that ,...ain't much changed at all except there is one high school Madison and it is eight times larger after being reconstructed at least.. .It is a big place now.IT goes from residential that has always been there on the North side nearly to 53rd street. THERE YA GO? Ten years of news,I feel like a web spy(lol)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9195962

wow yes a lot has changed, I remember the root beer stand on the by-pass, loved those frosted mugs and hot dogs. I lived on Home Ave, railroad tracks ran right behind out house and we were just down from the blue bridge (don't know if it is still blue or even if it is still there). I miss Anderson, lots of great memories there with my grandparents, my grandfather used to have the J & M in Parkplace and then later managed the Huddle in Edgewood. Those were his last two places.

Thanks for the update, sure do appreciate it, last time I was there was in 90/91 when I burried my grandparents.

Jan

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9248637

I had to open this, as this year 2012 has been a really bad year for tomatoes for me and a couple others here in the MD region just under PA...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9248948

sallyg; If it wasn't for my old time cherry tomatoes I would of had about five tomatoes from the garden.It don't get much worse than that!!!
Still, as the season moves on it all may finish well.(hope)
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9249495

In spite of the drought we've had, my tomatoes have been incredibly this year. I have harvested enough to make sauce, freeze some, and give a bunch to co-workers. Last weekend alone, I harvested about 10 pounds (I have a total of 10 plants, each a different variety). I have no idea why they've done this well, except for the fact we've been able to water consistently. It's a good problem to have :)
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9262007

I've had a pretty good year here too. My only complaint is that some tomatoes are not ripening well on the tops. Not sure why. I'm growing Orange Icicle tomatoes for the first time this year and they are fantastic! Great flavor! Highly recommended.

Photos: The first Mary Robinson's German Bi-color of the season...
Second photo from top CW...A Cour De Blue, a Dr. Wyche's Yellow and the Mary Robinson's German Bi-color from the first photo.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer   Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

September 21, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9281824

MY tomatoes set very little fruit during the extreme heat that we had here in the St. Louis area. I faithfully watered them during the heat & drought & now comes my reward. My tomatoes are finally producing like crazy! The vines seem healthier with no signs of disease or pests. I'm hoping for a late frost, so that I can keep harvesting through the fall season.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9281978

Pretty good year to report here, too! I don't know why I don't photograph the tomatoes as I do the roses. Something I need to work on I guess. After last year I was really looking forward to ANY tomato, so all in all I'm a happy camper.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9282406

Well my Ester Hess and Broad Ripple currant have been producing a couple of cereal bowls a week for a few weeks now ,not a bad finish at all
Sugar lump is still making a few also
DougBert
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9312739

Bummer year in the Spokane area for me this year. The cold spring did not help with tomato production. I have some pictures of the fruits of my labor. Twenty tomato plants two of each variety plus eight volunteer cherry tomatoes.

Indeterminate varieties:
Kelloggs Breakfast (yellow), Cherokee Purple (Green on top purple on the bottom), Box Car Willie (Red), Mule Team (Red), Marglobe (Pink to red great for canning), Delicious (Red), Mortgage Lifter (Red big meaty fruit great for canning), Anna Russian (Pink to red pear shaped meaty fruit great for canning)

Determinate varieties:
Marglobe (Red and 1lb), Rutgers (Red and 1/4 lb)

I only canned twenty-five quarts this year. (Normally fifty to sixty quarts.)

The flavors this year were out-standing. BTC's were awsome, especially with the Cherokee Purples and the Mortgage Lifters.

Genesis 1:11
And God said, "Let the earth put forth vegetation, plants yielding seed, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, upon the earth."

Thumbnail by DougBert   Thumbnail by DougBert   Thumbnail by DougBert   Thumbnail by DougBert   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9313269

LOL! DougBert, glad to see I'm not the only one who recycles six pack carriers for beer bottles (or root beer bottles) to use for veggie and fruit trugs (is that what those expensive things are called?). Very handy to just shove into the refrigerator if needed for a short period of time. I used to get some real looks from former neighbors who thought I was drinking in the early mornings in my old garden. No one can see me now in this new garden! Mouthwatering photo of big 'mater #3! Love it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 22 May 19, 2014 7:30 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America