Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Vegetable Gardening: Crop Rotation - Garlic

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 19, Views: 147
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8792534

I would like to plant the same bed with garlic soon, is that a bad idea? I'm sprouting some buckwheat in that bed now, will that change things around enough or should I plant in a completely different bed?

Thanks for any input.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8792563

IMO, it would not hurt anything. In this area, garlic beds are permanent like a perennial bed with no ill effect.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8793299

I too have grown garlic on the same spots for over twenty years.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8793312

Thanks to both for the feedback...back to that bed it is. Time to order the garlic.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8806640

I'm new to growing garlic but I'm getting tired of seeing garlic from China in the grocery stores. I was surprised by the many different varieties that I found when I went to buy it. Does anyone have recommendations on varieties and tips for growing the garlic? Of course, in a zone 5 garden, different things may apply than in your gardens.

Ann
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8806992

I know there are a lot of problems with orchid imports to Canada so assume it might be the same for garlic. Phytosanitary certificates are usually required for plant materials coming and going between countries which really adds to the costs. I saw a site called Boundary Garlic Farm that's in Canada http://www.garlicfarm.ca/garlic-varieties.htm Hardnecks would probably do best in your location. I'd look to the growers who grow for gardeners for advice regarding varieties best for you. We too are getting a lot of Chinese as well as S. American garlic these days.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8807003

Finding it isn't the problem. It's readily available in good garden stores. I just don't know anything about the various varieties and I don't know much about growing it though I've found some web sites that deal with that.

ann
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8807032

I looked on line at a variety of sites and was able to find some information about which varieties are milder or hotter than others, which were best for roasting. etc.. I made some notes and went off armed with information when Cindy and I joined up at the garlic festival here. They only had two of the varieties I noted but fortunately the grower had signs with information about all the garlic she was selling. Usually if you email a grower that grows varieties you see in your garden stores they will share information or perhaps if you are looking for certain qualities, they would recommend. As for growing it, did you see this thread? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1218285/ Hopefully there is some helpful culture information there.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8807075

Thanks for the link to the other thread.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8807091

Welcome, Ann. :) I don't know what it takes to grow gourmet garlic but getting garlic growing is pretty uncomplicated. I used to just slam the cloves in the ground and have garlic the next year. Better do it fast. I bet you are cold already (as I sit here tapping in shorts and a T-shirt with the AC on).

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8807474

Not that cold. We've still been using AC on occasion and no frost yet though they say there could be in outlying areas by this weekend. I would expect frost about the end of the first week of October and no freeze-up until November sometime, maybe even later if we are lucky.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8807992

If you see garlic in the supermarket that still has some roots, it probably is NOT from China. I think North Carolina grows a lot of garlic because I always see some with roots on. The garlic I grow originally came from the supermarket. I've been growing from those originals for five seasons.

The garlic from China has had the roots removed. This is probably a USDA requirement to prevent soil borne diseases from entering the country.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8808015

That's interesting...thanks for posting it.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8808235

Does anyone know anything about the various types of garlic? I was dumfounded when I stopped by the garden supply store and had maybe 15 types to choose from.

Ann
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8808272

VA, This site has lots of great info and I have bought garlic from them for three years in a row. I know that for Phoenix, soft necks are the recommended variety so I would guess that's *not* what would grow well for you in Canda. Try this link, hopefully it will answer your questions.

http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/overview.htm

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8808428

Thank you. That looks like quite a comprehensive site. I'll spend some time with it.

Ann
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8809777

Use the hardneck variety. They generally are not sold in the grocery stores (At least not here). We orders ours from Territorial Seeds and Seed Savers. DH puts them in the ground in Oct. We got some shipped to us from Johnny's a couple of years ago that also had a notice that they might be contaminated with a mold and we might not want to plant them. So we quite buying from them.

We do rotate where the garlic goes but then we also have raised beds.
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8817557

hurry, it is getting late to order garlic. that said, i have had great experiences with gourmet garlic gardens. (2 years)
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8817563

It's ordered. He puts it in sometime in Oct so we should be fine.
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2011
11:09 PM

Post #8818833

Another source of some variety information is at http://www.thegarlicstore.com/. They also make purchasing a little simpler.

-Rich

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America