Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Crop Rotation - Garlic

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I would like to plant the same bed with garlic soon, is that a bad idea? I'm sprouting some buckwheat in that bed now, will that change things around enough or should I plant in a completely different bed?

Thanks for any input.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

IMO, it would not hurt anything. In this area, garlic beds are permanent like a perennial bed with no ill effect.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I too have grown garlic on the same spots for over twenty years.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks to both for the feedback....back to that bed it is. Time to order the garlic.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm new to growing garlic but I'm getting tired of seeing garlic from China in the grocery stores. I was surprised by the many different varieties that I found when I went to buy it. Does anyone have recommendations on varieties and tips for growing the garlic? Of course, in a zone 5 garden, different things may apply than in your gardens.

Ann

I know there are a lot of problems with orchid imports to Canada so assume it might be the same for garlic. Phytosanitary certificates are usually required for plant materials coming and going between countries which really adds to the costs. I saw a site called Boundary Garlic Farm that's in Canada http://www.garlicfarm.ca/garlic-varieties.htm Hardnecks would probably do best in your location. I'd look to the growers who grow for gardeners for advice regarding varieties best for you. We too are getting a lot of Chinese as well as S. American garlic these days.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Finding it isn't the problem. It's readily available in good garden stores. I just don't know anything about the various varieties and I don't know much about growing it though I've found some web sites that deal with that.

ann

I looked on line at a variety of sites and was able to find some information about which varieties are milder or hotter than others, which were best for roasting. etc.. I made some notes and went off armed with information when Cindy and I joined up at the garlic festival here. They only had two of the varieties I noted but fortunately the grower had signs with information about all the garlic she was selling. Usually if you email a grower that grows varieties you see in your garden stores they will share information or perhaps if you are looking for certain qualities, they would recommend. As for growing it, did you see this thread? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1218285/ Hopefully there is some helpful culture information there.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the link to the other thread.

Welcome, Ann. :) I don't know what it takes to grow gourmet garlic but getting garlic growing is pretty uncomplicated. I used to just slam the cloves in the ground and have garlic the next year. Better do it fast. I bet you are cold already (as I sit here tapping in shorts and a T-shirt with the AC on).

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Not that cold. We've still been using AC on occasion and no frost yet though they say there could be in outlying areas by this weekend. I would expect frost about the end of the first week of October and no freeze-up until November sometime, maybe even later if we are lucky.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

If you see garlic in the supermarket that still has some roots, it probably is NOT from China. I think North Carolina grows a lot of garlic because I always see some with roots on. The garlic I grow originally came from the supermarket. I've been growing from those originals for five seasons.

The garlic from China has had the roots removed. This is probably a USDA requirement to prevent soil borne diseases from entering the country.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

That's interesting....thanks for posting it.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know anything about the various types of garlic? I was dumfounded when I stopped by the garden supply store and had maybe 15 types to choose from.

Ann

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

VA, This site has lots of great info and I have bought garlic from them for three years in a row. I know that for Phoenix, soft necks are the recommended variety so I would guess that's *not* what would grow well for you in Canda. Try this link, hopefully it will answer your questions.

http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/overview.htm

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thank you. That looks like quite a comprehensive site. I'll spend some time with it.

Ann

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Use the hardneck variety. They generally are not sold in the grocery stores (At least not here). We orders ours from Territorial Seeds and Seed Savers. DH puts them in the ground in Oct. We got some shipped to us from Johnny's a couple of years ago that also had a notice that they might be contaminated with a mold and we might not want to plant them. So we quite buying from them.

We do rotate where the garlic goes but then we also have raised beds.

Arlington, MA(Zone 6a)

hurry, it is getting late to order garlic. that said, i have had great experiences with gourmet garlic gardens. (2 years)

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

It's ordered. He puts it in sometime in Oct so we should be fine.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Another source of some variety information is at http://www.thegarlicstore.com/. They also make purchasing a little simpler.

-Rich

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.