-
AuthorContent
Barrysewall
Larsen, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8792585

Can anyone explain to me what I need to look for if I assume its time to repot any Epi plant?.?.
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

September 4, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8792713

I really don't know how to determine if an epi needs repotting, however, I do know their roots like to be crowded.
Barrysewall
Larsen, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8792885

I know that Epis need to be pot bound, thanks though!!
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 4, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8793518

LOL! When they start breaking the plastic pots? That's when I repot them.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8793523

I hate them when they get huge and unmanageable.
I choose to do cuttings and start a new pot every season or two. It keeps the plant a manageable size.
They still bloom freely as they bloom on new growth.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 5, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8795120

Hmmm. Mine rarely bloom until the second year from cuttings. I have one that didn't bloom it's second year, and one that was a good sized division going on three years, and still hasn't bloomed. What do you feed yours?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8795206

I am negligent about feeding them on a regular basis.
When I do fertilize, I use a diluted water soluable fertilizer.

I find by leaving them drier when a good rain soaks them, the blooms begin.
No expertise here.

I just know that I had a huge monster Epi that never delivered a bloom. I wouldn't cut it back and hated it. It was too huge to move inside so I would wrap it up on frosty nights. One cold night the wind blew the covers off and it died by freezing. I was relieved. Later I read to cut them back and have been enjoying blooms on a small plant quite a few times through the summer.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

September 28, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8828124

podster, that is great news. I am going to do just that. I have some huge ones that are just ugly, but I really didn't want to lose any blooms.
acts238
Fort Wayne, IN

September 28, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8828187

I didn't know that either, Here is 1 of 2 beautiful epis but I can't get to bloom. do you think if I trim them come nest spring it would be possible to get flowers.

Thumbnail by acts238
Click the image for an enlarged view.

acts238
Fort Wayne, IN

September 28, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8828191

Here is the other. I'd like to see them bloom so I could find a name for them. They are both simular but different.

Thumbnail by acts238
Click the image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8828393

Those are beautiful plants. I would think if you have room to overwinter them, I'd leave them alone and maybe just root a start from them. Then, see if the smaller plant will deliver blooms next summer before you whack them back.

My meager plant is not pretty like that. If I posted a photo of the plant, you'd turn me in for plant abuse.
I sometimes wonder if plants have a bloom mechanism to reproduce if they think they are dying ~ lol!
acts238
Fort Wayne, IN

September 28, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8828493

Thanks podster, I was sure hoping for blooms this year. I won't do any wacking until spring. I'm going to put them in an extra room that stays on the cool side maybe that will work. I can't imagine with the heat you all have had that any plant would be happy.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8828506

It is odd to see some plants thrive in this heat while others stagger. Me too... lol

I honestly haven't unlocked the secret to making these bloom. They produce buds when I least expect it.

Not sure if you read the quote I posted here about cutting these back.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1214194/
I would just have trouble cutting your beautiful plants.
acts238
Fort Wayne, IN

September 29, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8828948

Thank you podster that helps alot and I would like to keep it. Is there a place on DG in my account that I could save that post so I can refer back to it? I think I may trim the bigger one because some of the older leaves are a little wilty. I will post a pic before and after.
Thanks again
Acts
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8829756

I think you can save it by the little file folder in the upper right hand corner of this DG page. Sorry ~ edited because I can't link the tag page.

I've never used that feature but store any information I want /need to save in my journal which is handy... it is where this was stashed ~ lol http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/viewentry/111620/

If you already use the journal feature, that makes it easier.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2011 7:08 PM
Barrysewall
Larsen, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9237691

So 'Everyone'... So as soon as the rootball breaks the pot I should repot? I see we are all not staying on my subject line. Why is that??? Wow
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9238451

[quote="Barrysewall"] ... I see we are all not staying on my subject line. Why is that??? Wow[/quote]

I will take the blame for leaving your subject line with my apologies.

I have read that a rule of thumb is every 7 years and I won't buy into that. There are too many variables.

Tell us what conditon your Epiphyllum is in please.
What age since being repotted?
How large a plant?
How recently it has bloomed?
Is the foliage wilting frequently enough that it requires more watering than normal?

Have you have noticed how the foliage becomes limp after it has bloomed? If it needs repotting, I would wait till it recovers from that post blooming drain, approximately a month before repotting.

It is not recommended to bother the rootball. Instead just remove the loose soil and then, pot up and add fresh soil. Also, water lightly after repotting until the roots become established.

Hopefully that has not deviated from your question too much. Kristi

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9242929

Barryswall: In reading the above response I see nothing relevant. I don't think I've ever seen a epi that looked wilted. though I'm sure it can happen. I certainly have never seen one become limp after blooming.

Epi branches will produce bloom for several years and is not restricted to new growth. An excellent place to look for answers to questions about your plants is http://www.theamateursdigest.com/epis.htm

I tend to always use 2-3 cuttings in a gallon pot and have a blooming size plant in 3 years. Though guides say to plant in smaller containers to promote root crowding, what happens when you transfer them up? Do you have to begin waiting all over again? The only reason I change pots is if I break the pot or want to switch to a hanging basket.

Some hybrids are slow growers and also take longer to bloom. When I check with other growers, I find that they will usually confirm that they have the same problems with the same hybrids.

I sometimes put oxypetalums in larger pots because I don't like to trim them and they grow larger than hybrids very quickly. This is also true of your strictums or hookeri. Though I have often seen that you should start with smaller containers, this has not proven true for me and I see no reason to disturb their growth unnecessarilly.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2012 8:52 PM

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America