Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What are You Making - Almost Fall 2011

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1192510/#top
Now that Summer is over, and it is feeling like Fall in some areas, we need a new thread.

These hearts are actually a log cabin block.

Thumbnail by Qwilter
(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Oh Jean----Six in a pan???? No my dear - the missing letter is "E". Betty and Norm tossed that dessert back and forth all the time we were there.
Guess it's a good thing I don't get jealous eh???? My husband having s-x with another woman!!!! The recipe is down right decadent but OHHHHH so good!!. If you have a sweet tooth, you would love it..
Must get busy and salvage some of this day for some work.. Been visiting with family all day and loving it.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I don't just have a sweet tooth... I have a SWEET EVERYTHING... better to never put it in motion!

edited to clarify... I mean I am addicted to sugar so I honestly try to avoid it.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2011 9:44 PM

I would LOVE to have that Heart pattern!! How big is your finished project?

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, I had to look at the hearts for a few minutes to see the logs! That is so pretty!

This was a crib quilt I made for my Gidchild's 1st daughter who is now in 4th grade. I keep forgetting to ask if the 2 boys who came after also used it. The book is packed away but I think the heart is @10". I think this was the 1st "out of the ordinary" quilt I ever made.

I study it... I think I get it and see the log cabin and then I lose it! Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggh!! LOL

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

LOVE that hearts quilt - just darling! And I can't even come close to figuring out how it's put together.

I finished "Bubbles" and will take it to the laundromat tomorrow. A few of the white-on-white prints were so heavily printed that all I could get was skipped stitches when I hit those patches and I will hand quilt those after the quilt is washed and dried. I managed to get two smears of grey gunk on it from oiling my sewing machine. Thank God for aerosol Shout. I have a lot of folds quilted into the back, so I'm going to applique those down. That poor quilt is so full of mistakes and patch jobs. But, my mother thinks everything I make is perfect and wonderful no matter how many boo-boos are in it, so she'll love it.

I'm four weeks behind on the Barbara Brackman Civil War BOW, so today I'm doing all four blocks.

Everything is going crazy around here, again. :) Life is good.

Elizabeth... LIFE is GOOD! (and I like to add "and just getting better!)

Sauder's (the hard store of Z&S Fabrics) is having a bolt sale this coming weekend. And for a donated Conker Cancer pillowcase will give an extra 10% off. Zook's is doing the same. So I've been finishing up some pillowcases I had cut out eons ago. I should have 6 ready before my Sat trip.

Also have a QoV loaded that I'd like to get quilted today.

Yesterday I pieced blocks (donated to the group be another org) and made a QoV top.

One of these day's I'll get some pics downloaded.

Oh, and I'm also descaling my Keurig coffee maker today!!!!! Did I mention packing clothes I'm taking down to FL in this 1st part of the move.

Right now I'm off to meet my friend for a 5 mi walk.

And DH wonders why I'm so tired that I'm sound asleep by 9PM!!!!!

Sounds like some GREAT activities!~

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

Hello Jean, That heart quilt is something else. So serene!
I didn't know you had to de-scale the K Cup machine.? How?

I want to make P-cases for a drive my quilt shop is sponsoring, any special instructions overall?

Helene - there is a pillowcase thread in this forum. I make the "Sausage" pillowcases. There is a video on the Quilts of Valor web page. Body is 23 " and then 12" for the contrasting trim. Once you make one, the instructions are "simple".

My K Cup will flash a "descale" notice. Then the drip gets slower & slower. Just pour in vinegar & run that thru to descale it. Problem is all the plain water you have to run thru afterward to get rid of that nasty vinegar after taste.

Phoenix, AZ

Love the ♥'s !

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

Jean, Oh the K-cup has to have that done too. Didn't realize. I use all vinegar or diluted as I did with my Krups?

TU for past ifo and advanced info.

Yeah that heart block is stunning. I find as I do more I do less - what I mean less intricate....

http://www.how-to-quilt.com/patterns/heartlogcabin.pdf

This is another version of a log cabin heart quilt...

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Oh those hearts are just adorable!!! Beautiful work!!
Thank you LK for the link...another thing book marked in the "OMG-I-have-to-make-that" list..lol

This is a new Pattern I had bought at a local quilt shop and I gave it a try on the weekend and I love how easy it came together!! Pattern comes in 3 sizes...the one in the picture is the 17" placemat. I will use it as a doily for the fall and I want to make others as little gifts, maybe with christmas fabric.
Still have to quilt and bind it and will post a picture again once it is all finished.

Thumbnail by Thea1962
(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Thea, nice pattern. Oh your "OMG I have to make that" list will definitely grow if you stick around here very long. Let's see now, I have enough ideas to last until 50 -60 years from now. Something tells me I just won't get them all done. LOL

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Great work ladies. I finished this this psat weekend. I call it 'Under the Rainbow' cause when you use it, that's where you are. It's for a fundraising raffle for a business guild my SO belongs to. The pictures are from panels. No pattern, kinda came together.

Thumbnail by FLStu
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Some close-ups

Thumbnail by FLStu

WOW Stu!!!!! That is great. Weren't you a novice quilter jsut a few months ago?????

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

I'm fortunate that my SO has an embroidery business out of the house. This is the signature on the back. I used pre-quilted backing and stitch-in-a-ditch.

Thumbnail by FLStu
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Another close-up

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

OOPS.

Thumbnail by FLStu
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

And another

Thumbnail by FLStu
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

And the last.

Qwilter... I still am. Have about 26 quilts under my belt now, however.

Thumbnail by FLStu
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

My first Rag Quilt made last month that I posted on another thread.

Thumbnail by FLStu
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

I used two layers, the front flannel and dennim, the back all flannel.

Thumbnail by FLStu
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

I used various flannels for the bag. Geez these take a lot of fabric!!!!

Thumbnail by FLStu
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Just got a notice that I won a second place prize in the FabShopHop for July. I have won $10 gift certificates four times since starting to find the bunnies. It's fun and a challenge for me to get all bunnies found (you don't have to find all the bunnies, just the amount they say for the prize level).

Not sure what I won or from whom, but the site says 'The following hoppers will receive a prize package with a retail value over $25 from our sponsors.'

For those who want to participate, the site is:
http://www.fabshophop.com/

Stu, that quilt is fabulous! Great job!

Congrats on finding enough bunnies! I have tried doing that, and there are some sites I just can't find that darn bunny for nothing!

Lexington Park, MD

Stu wow to the quilt under the rainbow.
I tried to sign up at the fabshop and it says my e-mail address is not correct.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Very nice under the Rainbow. Beautiful label.
Stu, can your significant other digitize? I have a design that I need to change from one complete stitch out to two. I need to separate the happy face logo from the rest of the design so it will fit in my 4" hoop. To work it in the larger hoop just wastes so much stabilizer and Rinse Away. It is in .pes format.

Thumbnail by mittsy

I think my next project is going to be building an Arc. Over 5" of rain just yesterday and it continues to POUR. This clay soil has no idea how to handle this much rain. News shows rivers gushing down many streets. Trees that survived the hurricane can't stand with the water logged soil. I need to figure a way to hang the bird feeder under the deck so they can have a dry spot to come in & eat.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

Beautiful block Thea !!!!! :)

and Stu, I already told ya "very nice" on FB.....but worthy of it again...... VERY NICE ^_^ and congrats on the "bunny" wins!!

second place is often quite the prize!!! I have gotten a few $10. certificates...butttttt 2nd place WOW !!!

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

LK thanks for that link!! I had that saved...before...but lost it with the last computer crash!!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks Stu.

I was SO BAD yesterday.................
Fabric shopping up in PA. So Sauders had bolts on sale. just a random selection.......$3.50/yd. I was good and only got 3 - 1 patriotic, 1 cute, and one TOT off white.
Then there were the discounted flat folds. @3yds per piece and $2.50/yd. Of course needed some of those.
And I finally remembered to get shirting with a bit of red for the quilt I started last Dec. TThose were the only fabrics I paid full price for - and they were 10% off.

We hit 4 quilt shops. By the last, I had fabric burn-out!!!! And was out of $$$$$.

Left here at 6:30AM and got home 13 hours later!!!!!!

OH man... is there SUCH a thing as Fabric BURN OUT?? I wanna experience it!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I bet it won't last long. lol!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.