Silver Penciled Wyandotte hen

Thumbnail by DWMike
Grenada, MS(Zone 8a)

Silver Penciled Wyandotte rooster

Thumbnail by DWMike
Richmond, TX

Beautiful birds!

Redwood City, CA

Unbelievably beautiful! Are the Golden Seabrights nice pet chickens who'll lay some eggs for personal consumption?? Their coloring and markings are stunning.

Grenada, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks porkpal!

Quote from Illig1 :
Unbelievably beautiful! Are the Golden Seabrights nice pet chickens who'll lay some eggs for personal consumption?? Their coloring and markings are stunning.

We only have 2 pair of the Golden Seabrights and we get 7-8 eggs per week right now from the 2 hens. They lay a very tasty little egg. We like to pickle the bantam eggs. They are neat little birds, ours are a little shy but they were not "petted" at their previous home and were grown when we got them.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

My Sebrights are not really friendly, but not shy, either. The roo seems to think I'm a threat, and attacks me. so it's a good thing he's little, or he probably would be gone. It's more amusing than anything else, he seems seems to do it just because he "should", not with real malice, if that makes any sense. He mostly just pecks at my toes. I'll be watching to see what happens when I start to wear real shoes as the weather cools (assuming it ever does). Maybe he just hates toes...

I have only the one hen, and she's not much of a layer, maybe two/three eggs a week. I have a pair of Sebright Xs that are almost adults, but are still in a "baby cage". The hen is so small I'm afraid to turn her loose. My cats don't bother any of the other chickens, but this one's barely a nugget.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

wonderful birds, love that Wyandotte Roo!

Redwood City, CA

Thanks everybody for the useful info. I have lots of cats so being big enough not to be a target is very important. Plus, I want a friendly, pet-type chicken so I may have to settle for personailty over appearance. But they sure are stunning to look at.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful photos! Thanks for posting =).

Illig1, my Brahmas are quite large, mellow, and pet friendly. Not heavy layers, but their goofy personalities make up for it. They come in various coloring varieties (I think that is the correct terminology). Just a thought...

Redwood City, CA

Hi Terri, Thanks for the tip. An animal's personality is definitely the most important attribute so I'll have to start investigating the Brahmas.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

My friendliest chicken right now is a Dark Brahma hen, but it may be Food Love. Not old enough to lay, but my Light Brahma lays well, 5/6 eggs a week AFAIK. I'm inordinately fond of my Turken/TurkenXs, they are excellent layers, with really nice personalities.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Oh Catmad... I have a pet Dark Brahma Roo that is VEEEEERy lonely. I cant find a hen around here anywhere! Wish we were closer!!

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Oh dear. I do too. I was given three recently because I like them so much, but one would probably be willing to make a change. She's currently part of a large harem, and is feeling neglected....

Redwood City, CA

Well thanks to Terri, I did investigate the Brahmas and all info I've learned seems to indicate that they would be PERFECT. Big (cat-proof),colorful, sweet-tempered birds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.