Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: removing lily of the valley

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 19, Views: 208
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bobfrommd
Severna Park, MD

September 5, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8794488

i have lilies of the valley mixed in with my periwinkle, how can I effectively removing the lilies?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 5, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8794546

The only way I know is, dig gently into the Lily and find the underground root sucker's, give those a tug and you may find that you can pull up more this way, next plan, dig out all the plants, lay to the side and once you have cleared the area, separate the lily from all the other plants and re-plant the others, the Lily of the Vally in some area's are much sought after so maybe you can pot some up to give away or pass onto a bring-buy-sale to make some money for funds. I love this plant and it's perfume, f you bring indoors a few pot's early spring, when it flowers, it fills the room with perfume.
Good luck. WeeNel.
deann
Au Gres, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8831985

Lilly of the Valley is a very very invasive plant in my area. (zone 5) . I would dig up the periwinkle and kill off the Lillies and then replant the periwinkle. Lilly of Valley have roots that grow to China.

Deann
katnaper
Regina
Canada

May 12, 2012
2:30 AM

Post #9120630

I totally agree with deann. The previous owner planted some and now i have to dig them out. Good thing we're re doing the backyard too otherwise it'd be more work.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9314095

Man I'd about kill to have some where I'm at. I have fond memories of the slender stalks and delicate bells...
Seriously if anyone has some seeds let me know!
cytf
Staten Island, NY

October 28, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9318443

I keep my lily of the valley in a pot to prevent it from becoming invasive, these have been there 2years now .Cicca they grow very easy by a plant, maybe next spring I can mail you a plant
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9320703

cytf,
That would be awsome! Hope you made out ok in the storm.
DM me we will set up something, I have morning Glory seeds if you want some to trade?
I'll be adding to my plant collection over the winter so come summer I might have something else you'd be interested in by that time. :)
Let me know what you are looking for.
Thanks,
Cicca

This message was edited Jan 7, 2013 11:41 AM
Sensiblelynne

(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9321957

I love lily of the valley but it really needs to be in an outer area, makes a great ground cover in the right spot. Roots from you know where. I really don't think you will have much like trying to pick it out from other plants, better to just dig up the area, sift out the dirt for roots and replant with something else. At the first sign of a new lily plant surviving be brutal and get rid of it right away. Give it an inch and it will take a mile!
cytf
Staten Island, NY

November 13, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9332387

Thank you Cicca for inquiring I did not have any damage in the storm I was one of the lucky ones ,the only thing is that my canna lily has gone down with the northeaster.

Sailstheseas
Staten Island, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9333983

I would love to have Lilly of the valley, but I'm afraid kitties may find the leaves tempting to much on. Not a good idea since they are poisonous. :(
cytf
Staten Island, NY

December 24, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9366413

Hi Ciccia please remind me next year to send you the lily of the valley plants.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9367966

Will do thanks =)
MNCchrissy
Hong Kong
Hong Kong

December 27, 2012
3:08 AM

Post #9368159

Lucky you, I have been trying to grow lily of the valley in pots, but all the "roots" I've got from local market turned out to be moulded ... none of it survives :(
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9369911

MNCchrissy,
Have you looked at international shipping? I know that there are a few plant sites that ship internationally.
If that won't work maybe if I can get the stuff to root and stay alive I'll look into shipping you some.
I'm sure we can make it work out.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9369977

Lily of the Valley grew in a small cluster on my grandmas farm for ages. I think it finally got tilled under, but I miss it a lot! What a charming plant.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2013
2:05 AM

Post #9541587

I managed to dig up some from a lady in the area who wanted to cull it a little as it was taking over her grass.
I stuck it in pots, have had it about a week now so far most of seems to have survived being hacked at and transplanted. Some of it looks a bit sad but the roots should come back next year. :)
I read somewhere that they don't like "wet feet" so I inverted a smaller pot before adding dirt to the big pot so that the roots won't sit in water because I tend to get a little water happy... Most of my plants don't seem to mind this, but the new herb garden does.
For the lilly of the valley I have been watering every other day, once I feel the herbs are established enough I'll cut back the watering I give them as well to sync with the lillies and see how they like that. For now I'm just watering a little bit daily until the roots get established, then I can repot into other containers allowing them all some breathing room, I only had the one to place them in when I dug them up from the lilly lady not to mention a shortage of dirt. LOL. But free herbs were just too much to pass up so I made do.

Mom wants some for her garden back in MI so I'll break it apart next spring and send her some, I did tell her to make sure that the roots can't reach the ground however because she did not want it taking over her other garden spaces. Gotta love containers! :) Thanks for the helpful information from everyone. I'll be posting pics in a few weeks. =)
(once things don't look quite so sad and droopy.)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9561053

We planted some lily of the valley in a shady area many years ago and much later discovered that it was choking out our azaleas and killing them. DH spent a lot of time digging the roots out; I think they're finally all gone but it seemed to take forever and was considerable work. If you plant them be careful.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2013
11:06 PM

Post #9563008

Pfft, When we build the house that stuff is going in the ground!
I hate cutting grass... it can take over my yard all it likes ;-)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2013
4:04 AM

Post #9563082

Sure, as long as you don't have foundation plants that it will kill. It will certainly provide an attractive yard!
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9563500

Na, I have to raze everything to bring in utilities and what not, so I can design the space to be pretty as well as low maint. I just have to make sure it won't spread past my property lines because, I while I might like something the neighbors might not. Country folks with farms tend to get a tish bend out of shape if your garden starts taking over their areas... I'm thinking dig down line then plant?? IDK will figure it out when the time comes.

Mine never did flower this year, maybe because I transplanted it so late in the season? Guess I'll have to wait till next year to find out.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America