Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Aroids: temperature drop

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 6, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8795088

We are going to have a freak lows tonight into the 40's, I have all kinds of elephant ears outside, really don't want to drag them all in for one night, generally will they be ok?
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8796437

Happ, I just saw your post; so, how did you do? I would not think they would like cold temps, but I think they'd be safe if it's above freezing and only for a short while. Depending on size, you can often cover them for the night with large flower pots.

marcia
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8797557

They have suffered thru 2 nights of low 40's, just not possible to get them in this quickly. So far no ill effect but it might take some time. All the starts I had are in the garden room are fine of course. Too large to cover except with a sheet, so I guess I will see how they will do. Going to start dragging everything in this week, just too much to do at one time in the evening after work. I think I did lose one succulant it was pretty limp and ugly looking...dang.
krowten
Greensburg, PA

September 19, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8814449

I have a number of different EE's that stay outside until the night temps start to push freezing each year. So far, no poor results but I think it would depend on the variety. I let them stay out so that the cooler temps help push them into slower growth and even dormancy for the winter, where they are indoors but do not receive much light or water. It is important that they don't actually get exposed to frost or freeze.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8814673

Well everything is still doing good, they are all inside now. I have a large variety of ee's and I think every year I go thru this but can't remember how cold did it get before I get them in. Mine don't go dormant thru the winter, I have a hybrid type little greenhouse so I chose to try to keep some tropicals going and fight spider mites all winter (gosh would hate to lost that bit of fun I have...ughhhh!). Spider mites have been horrible this summer because of the heat and the dry! Anyone have suggestions on that, I am all ears...
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 19, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8814844

All ears, eh? LOL. Seriously, have you thought about using predatory mites? You can get them via mail order and they just might be the thing to keep the bad mites down. The more bad mites, the more the predatory ones multiply to eat them. If you have the plants in a closed environment (indoors), the good mites should stay put and keep eating the bad mites until they are gone.

LariAnn
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8815030

ROFL, I didn't realize, what I had keyed...duhh, Well I am all ears, hibiscus, brugs, anything that will attrack mites. I will check into the good mites, I had forgot I read about the good guys, course as many bad ones as I have had, the good ones might get so big and fat as to collapse the plant!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America