Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Fragrant Gardening: Colors are nice....but ahhhhhh show me your whites

Communities > Forums > Fragrant Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Fragrant GardeningReplies: 132, Views: 842
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8795244

As always 'Lakeview' Jasmine is one of my favorites

Thumbnail by Chantell
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8795246

Datura Wrightii - slowly opening and releasing her lily-like fragrance

Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8795251

After quite a few years...multiple blooms on my Confederate jasmine

Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8795254

My peanut butter shrub...what a lovely scent filling the backyard...

Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8795262

NOID Crinums (yes they have 'some' color) LOL

Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8795268

Maid of Orleans...can you just smell what's comin'?

Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8795273

Pale yellow's close enough (those blessed with a night blooming jasmine will agree) - here's a NOID Sweet Olive from Lowes...I've actually kept this one alive since June thus far...still amazes me the scent from these teeny blooms...

Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8795275

Maypop's half white...so I guess she can sneak in as well w/her multi colored 'friend'

Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8795278

Tab Flore Pleno gotta love how easy and rewarding this gal is

Thumbnail by Chantell

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8795289

Very nice Chantell. I would think your garden would be exquisite at night. Both fragrance and appearance.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8795317

Kristi - thank you...and those are your babies (crinums) that blessed me with blooms this year...whaaa whooo...such a pretty scent. I'm sure you have some 'whites' to share???
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8795342

No Chantell, it has been so dry here, I am just grateful to keep the plants alive this summer.
I am enjoying yours vicariously ~ thanks for posting them.

I am delighted to know that your Crinum as bloomed. I absolutely delight in that fragrance ~ stronger at night ~ noooo?
SudieGoodman
Broaddus, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8795349

Zone 8b, Heat Zone 9 southeast pineywoods of East, TX on Lake Sam Rayburn
Re: Fragrant Gardening forum
I would add Carolina jasmine vine, Wysteria, Honeysuckle, Sweet Autumn Clematis, Moon vine, Maid of Orleans and Pashion vine also climbing roses are in my landscape. I like vertical gardening.

Thumbnail by SudieGoodman

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8795351

Kristi - Ugh...I'm sorry...I can't even imagine. I'm going to need to do a sniffer test tomorrow night for sure...praying some of our rain heads your way!!!!! Hugs

Yes Sudie - those as well...will have to dig for some of my other pics taken during rest of season...

This message was edited Sep 5, 2011 10:16 PM
dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8796337

ze moonflower..

Thumbnail by dabneyrose

dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8796342

Chantell i'm not sure i am familiar with 'Tab Flore Pleno'...can you elaborate? looks lovey!
dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8796348

how can i forget my Butterfly Ginger?!

Thumbnail by dabneyrose

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8796668

!! Dabney !! Wooo whoooo - 1st Kristi popped in...now you...wonder if Nery (Vossner), Samantha (astcgirl), and fauna4flora are still hangin' around??? I told JB to come on over and post her pretties.
Dabney - what can I tell you about that tab? Given name is Tabernaemontana divaricata 'Flore Pleno' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59477/ She is a wonderfully easy plant that blooms from the time spring hits till mid fall. Fragrance varies - is subtle but very pretty...not what I would describe as wafting though. She resides in my bathroom during the fall and winter and will hold on to buds till spring when they open. Can I just tell you those two pics of yours are two plants I still have not experienced a bloom first hand? I've even moved 1/2 the ginger to a warmer sunnier spot..sheesh!!!

Here's some older pics of whites with pretty scents... Night blooming Epi

Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8796675

A Brunfelsia nitida bloom - what I would do to know the trick of keeping these plants alive. I absolutely adored their fragrance!!

Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8796678

I lost my first Bouvardia longiflora - purchased a 2nd from Logees this summer because I loved its scent THAT much. I potted her up much sooner this go around and she's rewarded me with lots and lots of growth...fingers crossed as the true test for me is if they'll over winter for me

Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8796701

Has anyone bought an new pretties this spring/summer? I couldn't resist temptation - gave in and purchased the Randia ruziana from Logees among other things...hoping it's scent is all that the description states.
dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2011
11:09 PM

Post #8797046

heyhey Chantell!
here's my fringe tree...i've kept it in a pot for a year (we're renting) but finally sunk her in the ground a month ago; i did get 3 fruit/seeds from it but they have to go through a lengthy/involved incubation so all my fingers are crossed!

Thumbnail by dabneyrose

dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2011
11:14 PM

Post #8797049

white azalea, in the northern lights series...i also have a newly acquired swamp azalea (finally!!) have yet to see it bloom

Thumbnail by dabneyrose

dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2011
11:15 PM

Post #8797050

let's see what else...white parma violet! a dumpling of a blossom but my goodness what fragrance!

Thumbnail by dabneyrose

dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2011
11:18 PM

Post #8797056

winter honeysuckle.. i hope these don't have to be blooming NOW! or else i'm really cheating!

Thumbnail by dabneyrose

dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8797060

Chantell, i will follow your links some more tomorrow; it's after 2 in the morning & i'm a bad girl!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2011
3:53 AM

Post #8797152

Chantell... everything in pots? Your Flore Pleno gets huge and is tropical tender. You must have a greenhouse?
dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8797338

I had a Brunsfelsia once & the blooms were so narcotic that when i went to go drive into town late that night to pick my son up, i almost couldn't drive..i didn't keep that one, but i think i'd like to try again, haha!
I have not smelled a Bouvardia...my indoor space in quite limited here. Hubby is building me a greenhouse!!! but it won't be frost proof.
Chantell, I am a little bit warmer than you plus a have a zone 8 in my south-facing back yard right up against the back of the house and that's where my ginger lilies are.
i have grown moonflowers before but this year i think i have cracked the code; they will grow up to 5 miles during the long summer days but won't start blooming until the days start to shorten; being from the tropics they want an even photo period..same length days & nights. And now i wonder if that's why my tuberoses never threw up a flower stalk until late in the season. Anyone know more about this?
dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8797348

single tuberose

Thumbnail by dabneyrose

dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8797350

double tuberose

Thumbnail by dabneyrose

dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8797367

Do you give much winter protection to your confederate jasmine, Chantell? I planted one this summer to grow over the mailbox. Have never even heard of a peanut-butter shrub!!
I ordered Logee's Osmanthus "Fudingzhu' this spring so will have to wait to smell that one.
OOO you have a crinum!!! I've been waiting 4 years for mine to bloom! I think i over potted it..anyone?
dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8797720

one more white, for now (i think!) and it is not 'mine'..it's belongs to everyone as right now it is scrambling all over everything like drifts of snow; the sweet autumn clematis.

Thumbnail by dabneyrose

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8798162

I don't know if Chantell provides winter protection for the Confederate jasmine but none here for mine. It will stay evergreen and bloom in the spring for me. ( In a normal year )

Dabneyrose ~ I am fascinated that you found the daylight hours as a bloom trigger. Odd, my crinum blooms (normally) in July/August. If I am not mistaken from her post above, Chantells' would be in bloom right now...
dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8798177

Crinums..from S Africa, would be used to more of a diurnal swing? And so would not be adverse to blooming in July? I saw some in Houston blooming around July 4th. I broke my own heart...snagged a little bulb to bring home & left it on my daughter's windowsill!
Hope you are getting some rain in your corner!!!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8798233

2" from LEE but windy, windy so it is dry already again.
There are some other Crinums that I have and they bloom in early summer.
This one (like Chantells') is late summer so may be from different locales?
dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8798248

beats me! it a fun thought process to chew on though..: )
was it someone Ogdon who wrote a book on native/summer bulbs? Great book..i'll have to track it down & read it again...lot's on crinums.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8798542

Most of my pretties are in pots, Dabney - comes with the territory of loving my tropicals. PB shrub is in the ground and I will have plenty of cuttings for you all come early spring (might even have a sucker or two already rooted) - just pop me off an email or message me on FB. I'm not always great at checking in on DG. What else is IN the ground...hmmm...the passifloras of course...confederate jasmine - shooting star gardenia (pic attached) - also Chuck Hayes and Frost Proof Gardenia...there's a jasmine growing in my dwarf magnolia (I'd have to check my journal - I believe it's Stephens Jasmine - didn't get enough sun to bloom though)...those Crinum blooms are my first and I think I've had the plant in the ground 3 years now (Kristi?). I had purchased some from Brents and Beckys that were supposedly hardy but they didn't come back up this year - very disappointed. My confederate jasmine is in my south facing front yard - originally she was planted in front of a very tall shrub - but now she's slightly under that bush since it's grown in the last 5 years...LOL. As for the moonflower enlightenment - I'm putting that knowledge to use next year for sure. I'll have seeds for both the DATURA INOXIA 'VARIEGATA' and DATURA WRIGHTII as they both have their spikey pods growing now. As for the tuberoses (whew I'm long winded tonight) - sadly I'm still not seeing a stalk in either of my pots...hmph...lots of leaves but nadda a stalk...sad, sad, sad!!

This message was edited Sep 7, 2011 11:46 PM

Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9087307

Dabney - hoping you're still peeking in here...do you know of a vendor that carries that white parma violet you spoke of?
Also ISO salvia clevelandii that Vossner had spoke of previously. Anyone know of a vendor that sells it?

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9112724

Hey, I have been busy and have not had much time to share, but this one was too beautiful and perfect not to.
My old stock plant , Gardenia Jasminoides 'Amee' gave me her first bloom of the season today. Enjoy

Thumbnail by JBerger

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9112727

Just can not stop once I begin. Here is one of my many Iris. Pure white and smells just like an Iris only sweeter.

Thumbnail by JBerger

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9113151

Beautiful, JB...just gorgeous!!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9113775

Thank you Chantell. I never sniff a bloom that I do not think of you. Is that sick or what? LOL JB
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9209589

JB ~ I will agree with you on that last comment.
Chantell ~ this one is for you...

Wonderful!

Thumbnail by podster

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9210008

Oh Pod, that is beautiful...what does it smell like?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9210600

Like most fragrant bloomers, it doesn't have much fragrance during daytime but from dusk on it is wonderful.

It is butterfly ginger which you might be familiar with... sorry I am not good at describing fragrances.
I love the white blooms that float at the top of tall dark green leaves. Rather like butterflies, I love it. Kristi

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9210763

Kristi - are those ginger blooming for you now? Sooo jealous!! I finally have mine in a spot they like. Last year they bloomed by fall...LOL. It was such a great scent...even though I waited (I think) at least four years for a bloom. Hmmm...I seem to recall it having a lily-ish type scent...not sure that I trust my memory though. My tropical jasmines are all budded up now as is my Bouvardia longiflora which actually survived the winter for me. That plant is such a bug magnet...ugh!!! Our Lowes has both the Confederate Jasmine and the Carolina Jessamine marked down to $3.50 & 3.99...whaaa whooo! Anyone with experience with the Carolina Jessamine? Fragrant? Course I bought one of each..going to have it grown in the back yard...ahhhhhhh
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9210793

Carolina jessamine grows wild here. It is an early spring bloomer and the delightful fragrance wafts through the early spring air. I always chuckle when I see it cultivated for sale. Unless there are different cultivars, it only blooms for 2 or 3 weeks in the early spring (Feb) around here.

Confederate jasmine I love but again it only blooms for about a month around March here. It is one of those fragrances that brings promise of wonderful things to come in the gardening season ahead. I hope to never be without this jasmine.

The butterfly ginger is indeed blooming right now. I was afraid I had lost it after last summers' drought. I dug and potted it and it rewarded me with blooms. Hoping to encourage them to continue through the rest of summer.

I can't help but wonder what triggers the bloom cycle in all these darlings. My summer crinum or lily (whatever in the heck it is) hasn't offered blooms yet and I am becoming impatient for that white bloomer. How is yours doing Chantell?

Not the best photo... the blooms are always messy looking. The pinkish white blooms have a delightful fragrance of cloves but only when I get down on my hands and knees to smell it. That does get more difficult over the years. lol

Soapwort ~ the foliage looks stressed like I feel and the messy blooms look like my hair. I can only hope I smell this good.

Thumbnail by podster

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9210814

LOL - I sooo understand...as I gave up the hope for the gray skies providing my plants with some relief and took the hose in hand I felt as wilted as they looked after only being out there for 3 mins...sad, I tell you...so very sad!! My confederate jasmine really put on a show this year...for quite some time. It just finished up a good flush - maybe 2-3 weeks ago. I was THRILLED with that clean scent night after night after work...ahhhhh!!! I always love it when folks say - oh THAT grows all over the place here...sheesh! I figure long as it's hardy here...the $3.50 I paid was nothing compared to price + shipping from Logees (much as I love their healthy plants). My (your) crinum is huge - lots of green...I don't think I've seen the start of a bloom stalk though yet. But as I told you...I DID get blooms last year so I expect I'll get blessed again. Goodness between it and the ginger - plus the brugs and plummies in pots my yard looks like a tropical oasis (ok maybe not 'all that' - but still). I am so thrilled with this thread...you all have blessed me with more ideas. I never thought about soapwort, Kristi - now I'm going to have to find me some...LOL Any other plant in particular you'd compare its scent to?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9210872

Now you know I can't describe fragrances well but soapwort blooms are a clean spicy fragrance. I love it. And (BTW) it is an herbal.
If it didn't look so embarassing, I'd offer a start of it. It spreads by creeping and crawling.

Your comment ' was THRILLED with that clean scent night after night after work...' reminds me how rejuvenating it feels to walk around in the yard and smell something so wonderful. It makes the worries of the day pass from my mind and refreshes my spirit.

This is blooming again but oh such an ugly bloom. I planted it under the eaves of the greenhouse and will catch the fragrance drifting through the GH windows in the evening.

Manfreda virginica (do these count for white blooms?)

Thumbnail by podster

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9212002

Ok...after looking it up, I've got to have at least one for my back yard - you're killing me!! LOL do these throw pups? Maybe I'll just look for one if they do... And definitely I'll be getting some soapwort!!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2012
12:41 AM

Post #9212077

Rose Madame Hardy

Lilium Crystal Blanca

Rose Glamis Castle

Saponaria Bouncing Bett in white

And yes, all of them are scented!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click an image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9212143

Ohhhh... DonnaMack! I need to avert my eyes. lol Those are so pretty and I'd bet gorgeous in the dark.

Chantell ~ see how pretty the Saponaria (soapwort) should look. Mine is embarassing. BTW that Manfreda was discussed a few years ago http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1027232/ but in all this time, it has not suckered and I've not had any luck germinating the seeds. If it ever should, you are on the list.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9212175

I LOVE white flowers. Some people don't consider it to be a color, but I like to plant a white variation of every plant I have, from white platycodons to white salvia to whatever.

It's so nice to see that other people like it too.

How about peony Festiva Maxima?

Or allium ramosum?

Or white platycodons (that need deadheading, LOL!)

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9212203

Nothing more inviting than white on a hot summers day. In this heat the bright colors looked washed out by this time of year so whites are ideal

In the background of your Saponaria photo is Nicotiana? It is fragrant also?

Tell Chantell what you think your Saponaria smells like please?

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9212207

BEAU-TI-FUL, Donna!!! How do you like the Festiva Maxima's scent?

Kristi - you are too funny and sweet as always. I was just razzing you for bringing yet another plant to my attention that I had no idea had a great scent!!! You should see my container of sprouted eyeball plants - I'm nervous to plant them out but realize I need to...ugh!!! Cross-posted with you...the nicotinias scents vary. I don't find many of the low growing ones to have much, if any, scent. The taller ones...sheesh - brain just took a break w/o warning - can't remember the names (the one I like most is in my journal for front yard) are very fragrant!!! If I get seeds would you like some?

This message was edited Jul 20, 2012 8:19 AM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9212414

Good catch on the nicotiana alata. The original. It is sometimes limp in bright light but on overcast days, and particularly at night, the scent is intoxicating. My neighbors used to ask what it was, and why they couldn't smell it during the day. Many of the ones with colors have little or no scent. The exception - nicoriana lime green - but it isn't white.

I would describe saponaria as fresh and sweet.

Festiva Maxima is so gorgeously scented that every May I kneel in front of it and bury my face in the flowers. I wish I could describe it - it's heavenly. Some say it smells of roses. I think it smells better than that. I always imagine that if whipped cream had a smell, it would smell like Festiva. And it has strong stems too - and lots of sidebuds, so it stays in bloom for a while.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9215090

Yummy descriptions!!! My wish list for fall planting includes picking up some 'Silk Road' Lillies and ordering a 'Moonstone' Peony...nothing like adding yet more whites...LOL
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
2:03 AM

Post #9215203

I have both! Highly recommended.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9215386

Donna - where did you get your Moonstone peony?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9215511

I got it from Adelman's but bluntly I would not recommend them to you, at least for this year. Moonstone was one of three I ordered from them several years ago, and the other two didn't appear. Ever. I thought it was my fault. And it took a very long time to bloom 4 years. And this year I got a lot of complaints from my very experienced peony friends that most of the Adelman's peonies did not even appear. They normally are sensational (I went to the American Peony Society conventions a couple of years back, and their peonies surpassed everyone else's).

White Flower Farm does a fantastic job on peonies, but they sometimes send the wrong ones. My order for 3 Festiva Maxima ended up being Festiva Maxima, Ann Cousins and Kansas. But the quality is fantastic (see my FM above) and the price is right: $19.95. They tend to charge less for the classics, which seems appropriate to me.

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/35469-product.html

A&D Peonies has a fabulous reputation.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/71/

They are somewhat pricier at $26.00. They have an eye candy site:

http://www.adpeonies.com/peonies#M

Klehm is great (I've been given gifts) but I would never order from them because they are ridiculously overpriced. Come on, $28.95 for an old peony? Please!

http://www.songsparrow.com/2012/plantdetails.cfm?ID=1564&type=PEONY,&pagetype=plantdetails

If I were going to order Moonstone, I personally would choose White Flower Farm. The peonies they have sent me have always bloomed - quickly! And they are great. Their reputation has justifiably suffered in several areas but their peonies, lilies, daffodils and roses rock! I got a superb Rose Tess of the D'urbervilles. Just don't order perennials.

Does this help, or is it informational overload?

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9215881

Here is my newest white baby Star Jasmine. I have never been able to propagate them before this year. YEAH!

Thumbnail by JBerger

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9215926

Congratulations! Don't you love it when it works?!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9216731

No Donna that's EXACTLY what I need...thank you very much!!

JB - LOOK at your baby...you GO girl...great job!!!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9216787

Just one more note. If you want fabulous peonies VERY inexpensively, go to Old House Gardens. They are a top 30 company on Garden Watchdpg.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/39/

I have ordered from them several times: hyacinths, daffodils, crocuses, other minor bulbs. For some reason, their peonies are cheap, and they have a history of sending big, bodacious plants. The minimum order is $30, but that's not bad. They only have a handful of them, but these prices cannot be beaten!

http://oldhousegardens.com/display.aspx?cat=Peony

Festiva Maxima for $15.50

Mrs FDR for $17.50. I bit. I left one behind at my old house. It sells for about $29 at Klehm and A&D.

It's a shape shifter. And it bleaches to white. Yes, once mature it needs staking. But it's worth it!!!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9216878

:-) Thanks for the info...sadly they don't have Moonstone and sadder still I have a puny yard and have to limit what I purchase for lack of room. I keep saying my neighbors should let me just spread the yard out to the sides and I'd take care of all of them...LOL
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9216918

No they don't have Moonstone. Honestly, I ordered rather impulsively in the last few weeks and I have actually been moving things around. I moved here in December (it was very mild) and my issue was "slamming" things into the ground. I am moving at least one peony, a rose and several perennials and bulbs. You sound like you are being responsible, which I will do if I ever grow up! LOL!

This message was edited Jul 25, 2012 12:36 PM

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9217803

LOL Responsible? Surely you jest...you'd only have to take a glimpse of my sardine packed townhouse front yard to see that there's no rhyme or reason to my madness other then love of scent and sentimental value of some...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9221307

Love how Datura Wrightii glows as the sun rests and the moon greets us for the evening

Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9221361

Chantell, it's been a while since I have successfully grown datura. I had some once at the base of a trellis while I was waiting for a rose to fill in. Gorgeous stuff - I must do it again.

Oh, oh, impulse - all this talk of white flowers! I just got Jacquline Du Pre, the rose, from Heirloom. This is what it's going to look like in a couple of years.

http://www.google.com/search?q=rose jacqueline du pre&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=OwgUUMuDC4_4qAGwgoHgCA&ved=0CEgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=697

I am so bad. The wonderful thing about roses is that you get fairly immediate gratification. A rose you get in April can shoot up a foot and a half and bloom in June.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9221381

Beautiful rose, Donna...nice choice!!

I purchased 2 Daturas last year and collected seeds. Not sure if this is from the seed I threw down or from the mama plant that was in a pot near same locale...no matter - I'm thrilled - I love the scent!!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9221430

I was walking down the street in a nice residential area of Chicago near Lincoln Park when I passed a garden with masses of daturas. I was blown away, and the nice man who owned the property, and grew them, was very pleased and offered me some seed. He filled up a baggie. From those I grew my first batches.

The balance has been in the fridge. Think I'll go dig it out!

Donna

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9237909

O.K. You can all take a look at this and tell me what it is!??????? My dear dog, Charle ate the tag. It is a Logee's plant and I think it is a jasmine or a jasminoide but I am now in the process of looking through my flower pictures to see if I can see one like it. Hopefully it will have a name. Sorry. It smells so purty too. LOL Please dmail me if you have a name. Thanks. Hugs. JB

Thumbnail by JBerger

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9238361

JB ~ could it possibly be a gardenia? Whatever it is, it is lovely! Kristi

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9238870

Kristi, I don't think so. Here is a shot of the plant...it was out in the rain for two days and it is turning yellow.

Thumbnail by JBerger

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9238960

Here is a better shot of the plant with better camera than phone.

Thumbnail by JBerger

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9239190

I don't know... off to peruse the Logees catalogue. I'm in trouble again. lol Kristi

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9239409

Looks like a jasmine to me - bloom size about a dime or nickel size, JB? I'll have to check my photos - reminds me of one of mine...

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9239795

No, Chantell, the flower is as big as a silver dollar and has 9 petals and a pale yellow center that has tiny petals around it. Almost like a paperwhite center but not as obvious.

I sent pictures to Logee's and hopefully they can help me. I bought it there. I have gone through all my receipts for the last 5 years, I have gone through most of my pictures and I am lost to think of where to go next. Thanks anyhow.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9265374

Kristi - couldn't remember if I posted a pic of your babies last year...couldn't figure out what smelled so darn good the other night...glanced across the yard...whaaalaaaa...ahhhhhh

Thumbnail by Chantell

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9265461

That is sooo cool! I am amazed they are still in bloom for you. Mine have bloomed in July here. Thanks for that bump this morning. I needed it.

The gal I got those from years ago came by to see me yesterday. She said hers didn't bloom this summer and mine didn't either. I told her I had shared with you and others across the south and I'd seen a few blooms photos even though ours didn't. lol

Now if you could only ship me some of that fragrance... yum. It is wonderful. Thanks Chantell! Kristi

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9265509

Exquisite!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9265623

Guess with me being a zone cooler they show up a little later to the party - such a beautiful scent though! I see them and smile thinking of you, my friend...hugs
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9280526

I love the fragrance of the Brugmansia in the evening. This Double white is one of my favorites.

Thumbnail by picabo

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9282032

Rockin' backlit photo, Picabo...LOVE it
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9285568

I agree Picabo ~ that is a beautiful Brug photo. I can almost smell it from here. lol

I thought of this thread earlier today and marvel at how I am never too old to learn.

The butterfly ginger is giving me one last flush of blooms, albeit smaller flowers. I was working in the greenhouse and savouring the smell of it coming in the window.

Do any of you cut the ginger stalks back to the ground after blooming? I tried that this summer and sure enough, just like the cannas the ginger will develop more blooms. It has been a good summer for fragrance. Kristi

Thumbnail by podster

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 24, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #9285611

Hi Pod, Mine are just starting to bloom the first time. Can't wait for blooms, should be any day now. I did cut the cannas way back and they are already blooming again

Hi Chantell, Thank you.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9285788

Picabo, nicely done!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9287417

Did not know this 'cutting back' trick...hmmmm
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9287502

Thank You Donna :^))
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9288936

I'm not sure how fragrant, but starting a new garden, I sometimes put in "place holder" plants like mirabilis. There are new white anemones here, and a baby rose that hasn't bloomed yet, and some baby grasses, and I find that white mirabilis is a good one season place holder that fights back weeds and can be removed. And it punches up the fading anemones. Of all the mirabilis, I think the white has the most refined leaf shape.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9314554

This is probably the last flush of blooms on the butterfly ginger for this year. It has been a fragrant one.

I will definitely use the ' cut and come again ' treatment on these next year.

Amazingly it still has buds. I have moved it near the greenhouse where I can set it indoors on frosty nights. I hope to savor the fragrance a while longer.

Thumbnail by podster   Thumbnail by podster         

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9314785

Kristi that is so lovely. Between that and Picabo's brug it must be heaven.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9314790

The smell definitely is heavenly. I feel like a dog when I go out in the evening and sniff the air... I start following my nose. lol
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9314794

I wish we could grow them here, early bird!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9314828

Ah... but you could. In a larger container that you could store in the garage/basement/enclosed porch. Just a thought. Mine is actually in a container due to our drought conditions. I didn't want to lose it. Off to work...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9315380

I too have been pleasantly surprised and blessed by the ginger STILL blooming - I don't know how they're doing it...but the front of the house greets me with that amazing scent each evening and the nigh blooming jasmine is COVERED on my back deck with blooms...ahhhh life IS good!!!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9315422

Can you believe it for this time of year? Amazing.

Will you be affected by that hurricane/storm Sandy?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9315440

It was 80 here yesterday. 80!

My feverfew, nasturtiums, mirabilis jalapa, salvia and anemones are all blooming. And some of the roses I installed this year are producing their first flowers. NOW!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9315458

Oh, I hope you get to enjoy the new rose blooms a bit before... {{{ shiver }}} winter weather.

I always think the fall bloom colors are beautiful even though bittersweet.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9315851

Oh, I agree about fall. Since I plan my garden around fall it's not so bad. When things bloom I think - I got it right!
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9316545

I have moved the last of the tropicals in the Greenhouse. My Butterfly Ginger is still blooming. I leave them in the ground all winter. This picture was made last week

Thumbnail by picabo

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9316550

A cluster of Lakeview Jasmines. Another favorite. One year it was about to bloom when I needed to bring in the plants for winter. I decided to bring it in the house. BAD choice...That wonderful fragrance on that 6'tall plant covered with blooms almost made us all sick. LOL First thing the next morning it moved to the Greenhouse.

Another favorite is the Night Blooming Jasmine. I don't have a photo of (and I lost the plant a couple years ago) Tiny white flowers but oh the fragrance. Hope to find another one.

Thumbnail by picabo

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9316594

Enjoying the last of everyones' fragrant white blooms for the season.

I was surprised to find one last flush of Brug blooms this a.m. and tonight is to be dipping to frosty. The white Brug had 6 blooms, the yellow opened with one, the roselle popped its' first blooms way too late and the peach actually had one bloom. How odd.

Thumbnail by podster

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9316599

I always hate to see the Brugs go away. Now plan for Spring. LOL
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9316720

So gorgeous.

I was given some fairly rare hydrangeas by Raulston Arboretum in North Carolina. They were not certain of their hardiness, so when I saw 30 degrees projected I tucked them into my garage. They are two zones warmer than I am, so when they send me their treasures I sometimes have to preserve them by tucking them away.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9317039

I have two for you today. Both white, both fragrant and oh so lovely. First the star jasmine is blooming again in the birdroom and here it is. It must have 30 blooms on it and it smells so good.

Thumbnail by JBerger

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9317050

Now, here is the unbelievable one of the two. This was purchased as a yellow lilac and has struggled to stay alive for several years. This year it really grew inches and had a few blooms this past spring. I was out walking and noticed it today. The leaves are brown from frost and these little white flowers are blooming and they smell just wonderful. What happened to my YELLOW? Whatever, it is lovely and trying so hard to be healthy and now we are expecting a storm, so I thought I would show it to you today. It may not be here in a few days. Poor baby.

Thumbnail by JBerger

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9317346

Pretty, pretty! And am I only remembering the old fashioned Lilac that only bloomed in springtime or is the timing unusual too?

I need to quit looking ~ everyone is tempting me with jasmines.

Hoping you stay safe and everyone else in harms way.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9317841

First of all, the white was yellow and I thought it only bloomed intheSpring. I do have a lilac the lavender color, that is a hybrid that blooms all summer and is more a dwarf. The white one is way out of sinc. LOL Thanks for the safety wishes we are right in the middle of the area where it is going to make landfall. Should be interesting. JB
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9317861

Thinking of you today JBerger. I saw your gov talking about storm preparations. I hope you are as far as possible from it all.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9317898

Thanks Donna. If you want to see it on your PC you can go to http://nj1015.com that is our local radio talk station and they keep the website up and running with all the latest pictures and all. Great public service. You too can see it if you can get the link to open. We will be fine...the waiting is a PITA. If we just knew where Sandy was going to come in it would be easier to know how bad it will be. Have a good day. JB

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9318501

picabo - I knew at a glance that was a Lakeview - she is seriously in my top 5 for scent. She blooms year round for me - including when she's indoors...long as she gets enough light. Such a 'happy' plant! As I was hauling all the tropicals in late afternoon in preparation for 'Sandy' (not to mention tis that time of year) - I realized the Lakeview was missing. My heart dropped. Went down the stairs from the deck and found her over turned pot lying on it's side - the plant 1/3 the way out of the pot. Gotta love that resilent plant - despite this (God knows how long) treatment she had new growth...whew!!!

JB - I mentioned on another thread to check in to DG as you can...prayers headed your way. Hugs

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9570118

WAKE UP! Time to smell the Mandevilla. At least this one, Mandevilla laxa or Chilean Jasmine. First bloom for this young plant and it has more coming and loves it in the greenhouse. Thought about bringing it out on the deck but I did not want to move it just now.
Enjoy the sweetness of Jasmine and the beauty of the Mandevilla.\

This time of year people are outside and enjoying all the beauty of nature. I am still a lover of WHITE FRAGRANT PLANTS no matter what time of year it is. Have a wonderful summer and hurry back to me when the weather gets colder. I hate being here alone. JB

Thumbnail by JBerger

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9570252

Rose Alba semi-plena (the White Rose of York)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2013
8:15 PM

Post #9570581

Mmmmm - love the scent of these daturas

Thumbnail by Chantell

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2013
1:33 AM

Post #9570714

Rhododendron 'English Roseum'

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9570849

Y'all are killing me. At night I get out and walk through the plants. I love the fragrances after dark, even the simple herbs smell strongly.

I have noticed how the white variegated plants glow in the dark. I can only imagine how wonderful, how beautiful your white bloomers will smell.

Making me want to start a moonlight garden but where in the world would I plant it??? Too many plants, too little space!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9589099

Rose Jacquelyn DuPre - the scent is wonderful! First two pics. Four feet tall.

Rose Marie Pavie - a scented bloom machine at three feet.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack      

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9594679

Donna - would you describe the scent of those two please i.e. spicy or sweet or old timey rose scent?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2013
4:42 AM

Post #9594934

I just went out and picked a flower of each to check.

Jacquelyn DuPre is old timey rose and quite strong.

To my nose, Marie Pavie is mildly spicy. But it produces so many flowers at once that the scent is intensified. The picture shows the buds of Marie Pavie on July 7. Today dozens of flowers are in bloom. It was originally a Pickering recommendation. I needed a continually blooming rose to put around Madame Hardy, asked for a polyantha and they came up with this, so I purchased two. But it is such a strong and beautiful rose, spectacular in its flowering and disease resistance, that the two are now the star of my front bed, and made me look at polyanthas in a whole new light.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9597096

Oh my...I must have one of them... I've been dragging my feet trying to decide on a couple of roses to plant. I only have a townhouse so my yard space is limited. I'd already decided on an old one named Felicia...and now I'm eyeballing those two you're describing. I LOVE a spicy scent but obviously easier is better (read disease resistant)...ahhh the choices...

Hmmm their web page states they don't ship to the US - is there someone 'here' that you order from?

This message was edited Jul 12, 2013 11:53 PM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9597247

Pickering is probably going to resume mailing here next spring, but I have been getting most of my roses from Roses Unlimited (they are fantastic) or Chamblees (they are very, very good). You can get Marie Pavie from Roses Unlimited. If you want Jacquelyn DuPre the only supplier is Heirloom Roses. I don't generally recommend them. They have lots of supporters but their roses are very small, stay single stemmed for months and take a good year to be strong enough to bloom, despite costing as much as the others.

Do try to get an own root rose. I met Peter Schneider (author of Right Rose, Right Place) last year and he enthusiastically recommended Roses Unlimited. I got roses from them that were in bloom UPON ARRIVAL, established quickly and are quite large. All of their roses are own root.

Pickering Roses are HUGE bareroots. When I was planting on former farmland they were my go to (biggest roses, cheapest roses, cheapest shipping) but two foot bareroots are hard to plant amongst trees.

If "Marie" is your choice then you can go with Roses Unlimited. That's what I'd do. I'm actually going to order two more of them. All of my recent roses are from them, and I've been ordering for ten years. MP is a completely delightful rose, and if you just have a few, it's great to have a bloom machine. People are buying Knockouts for the qualities polyanthas, which are 100 year old roses, have. Intense rebloom, disease resistance, reasonable size. And you'll have something different. I get the "gasp! What is that beautiful little rose?" thing all the time.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9607772

Donna - thank you SO much...what great/helpful information. So much nicer to hear from others that have 'been there - bought that' and get their take on it. I will book mark Roses Unlimited for sure. And I do like 'different' - when I bought my townhouse 11 years ago - everything (not that there was much) got dug up - the tree that was original planted by the builders had died years prior...so I got to start from scratch. LOL - which is good or bad depending who you ask. I certainly don't have a Martha Stewart cover yard...but the scent in most seasons...ahhhhhh and certainly not the flowers/shrubs/vines you see in any yards around me.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2013
4:44 AM

Post #9607964

Starting from scratch can be great, can't it? That's what I did at my last house. No need to undo the mistakes of others. Nothing ho hum. I would go through books just to see what I like. Then I'd figure out whether I could grow it. Then where to put it. And what to add to it.

It sounds to me like you did the same thing. I am in an older community now and everyone seems to have done all their planting after examining the yards around them. So lots of hostas and daylilies and Rose of Sharon and yuccas. But almost no roses other than Dr. Huey, the root stock used for many hybrid teas. I pulled out some suckering thorny Crimsom Pygmy barberries and put in a deutzia Chardonnay Pearls I was gifted. Sweet little thing. Completely hardy. And I see it nowhere else.

Watching it go through its bloom sequence is fun. And in full flower, it's white!!!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9608454

I was searching around for unusual & fragrant shrubs/trees & came across this place in Oregon, they have an AMAZING selection of trees I've never heard about & many, many fragrant ones!! I can just see my entire retirement fund disappearing!! 😝 http://www.greergardens.com/TREES & SHRUBS 1.htm
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9608650

My only caveat about Greer. I purchased from Greer many years ago and ordered a then rare Cotinus Grace from Greer and from Forest Farm (another amazing Oregon nursery). My only caveat is that they sent me the wrong shrub, and the one they sent me was a very conventional and widely available shrub (Velvet Cloak), and I did not know it until it matured two years later. I figured that they ran out of Graces and sent velveT Claok as a substutute.

Forest Farm, on the other hand, sent me two of the correct shrub. I ordered a second one to replace the incorrect shrub, once I realized that I had not received what I ordered. I have ordered a lot of unconventional items from Forest Farm, and I have always received what I ordered.

This message was edited Nov 7, 2013 7:25 AM
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 6, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9703704

Haven't visited with you in several years Chantell , Just checking in to tell you how much I enjoy the M O O you sent me . I moved it to Texas and have several blooming plants , rooted from it . It's blooming now and would send pictures except my camera broke and haven't replaced it yet . Hugs , and I will continue to lurk .

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9707910

!! Sally !! How are you my friend!?! I've not been on DG for months...so glad I popped in to 'see' you! That MOOs an easy one, isn't she? Now you need to get a 'Lakeview' Jasmine...another easy one with an equally nice scent. The one I had for years sadly got knocked off the deck unbeknownst to me summer of 2012. By the time I realized it...it was too late. Took some digging through notes but I found the ebay seller I purchased it from. The only thing blooming for me is my Tea Olive out in the yard...but WHAT a fragrance!!! So what's new at your end of the world?
Hugs!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 13, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9708389

In Texas for the winter .I'll see if I can find that Lakeview .
Is the tea olive the same as Sweet olive ? My DDinL has one and it's scent was all over the yard . It's on my list for Texas AND Georgia
It's the same old , same old with me , just getting older and fatter .
Don't leave for too long , dear ,I like to keep up with my plant buddies .

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2013
8:18 PM

Post #9708631

Silly girl...we're aging like a fine wine...don't cha know?! If you want the name of the ebay seller (she's got lots of smellie goods) dmail me and I'll let you know. Hmmm maybe it is sweet olive...I found it in my journal: PlantFiles: Sweet Olive, Fragrant Tea Olive. Osmanthus fragrans http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1450/
LOVE the scent of these blooms!!! Which btw - are white...perfect for this thread
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 14, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9708899

That's it . That's it . My DDIL has one in her front yard and we smelled it as soon as we got out of the truck about 75 ft away . I hunted and hunted but couldn't find the source of the smell . She came home from church and cut me a blossom from it to smell and I knew I had to have two . One for here in T and one for G. I wish I had known how easy it is to root because I would have taken cuttings from hers. Hers is only two years old in N. Georgia and already 7' tall and filled with blooms . That was in Oct .

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2014
7:47 PM

Post #9756280

That sounds positively YUMMY!! I have plans on buying one that I've had my eyes on and putting it in the front flower bed against the house beside the stairs...then I can simply sit n sniff. How great is that?!?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 28, 2014
8:50 AM

Post #9757377

Smart move , but give it some room .

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Fragrant Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Are there any easy Gardenias? Heavinscent 56 Jan 25, 2012 8:53 PM
Your most fragrant plants by ranking Heavinscent 201 Aug 28, 2008 11:34 PM
Most Fragrant Petunias... zville123 41 Jul 31, 2014 3:55 PM
Fragrant Iris List violabird 8 Jan 19, 2008 3:38 PM
Michelia alba lovetropics 77 Sep 22, 2008 5:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America