Let's see YOUR pictures of hostas beginning with "Sq-Sz"

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi folks,

Now's your chance to show off the large S & Ss I know some of you have. I don't because I specialize in mini - medium sized hostas in my city lot. Let's see pics of your hostas beginning with Sq-Sz.

Let's start with 'Stained Glass'

Description: Bright gold-centred foliage all season. Dark green margin. Prominent veins in the leaves give them the appearance of stained glass windows.

Size: Medium (32"w x 15"h)
Origin: Tissue cultured sport of 'Guacamole'
Flowers: Large, fragrant, tubular, near-white in August.

Mine was added to garden: Spring 2004. In 2006 it was Hosta of the Year.

Mine languished in a dark corner until 2007 when I moved it to a spot with better light where it has done much better. Still what I would call an "unruly" mound. This picture taken July 18.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Next is 'Stealth'. New to me in 2009, it was sent by mistake as 'Lakeside Mom', but they suspected an error and told me to watch it. This one is a sport of 'Minuteman' and is supposed to be streaky, but mine seems to be stabilizing into what??? Reverse colours from Mm. also supposed to be medium in size, but is obviously a slow grower. This picture from July 18.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Stealth' flower July 24.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Stiletto' taken Aug. 3. This one was new August 2009 from a friend and came in a small styrofoam coffee cup. It's done quite well.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Summer Breeze' was new Spring 2003 and this picture taken July 15. This sport of 'Summer Music' looks totally different from the parent. I've divided it once several years ago; so it's not a super fast grower. I love the bright yellow margins.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Summer Breeze' flower July 24. This one is fertile and Ann from Edmonton has a lovely variegated seedling from seeds I sent to her. I've also gotten some solid yellow seedlings from it as well.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Summer Music' taken July 15. I've had this one since Summer 2005. It's not a fast grower, but is doing better since I moved it to brighter light.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Summer Music' bloom July 29. Not surprising that it looks virtually the same as 'Summer Breeze' flower since SB is a sport of SM.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Summer Snow' was new 2010. According to Zillis in his Hostapedia

Quoting:
...I fully expected it to become widely grown and very popular. It has not...I cannot ever recall seeing a well-formed, "pretty" clump of 'Summer Snow'. Most of the time, the mound has been one-sided or irregular." p. 913

Anyway, too early to say for mine, but so far I like it. It's been around for awhile - was registered in 1980. I guess it's quite possible to mix up seeds and make an error in the heritage of a plant. But even Zillis doubts the listed parentage of the plant (H. sieboldiana x H. 'Tokudama'), noting that the vein count isn't right.

This picture from July 8.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Sun Power' was new to me September 2005 and this picture was taken July 18. Contrary to its name, apparently it does not like too much sun. Mine has grown well, but was lifted and divided this past spring and we are back to a smaller plant.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Surprised By Joy' is, I believe, an AHS mini, but I've never really thought of it as a mini. However, it did take awhile to get established in my garden. I've had it since Spring 2005 and have occasionally used a copper mesh collar around it. Didn't the last two years and it has been totally devastated by slugs and earwigs. This picture from June 28.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

My final "S" hosta - 'Sweet Innocence. This picture from August 8 shows that it holds up quite well. This is a tetraploid version of 'Fragrant Bouquet' and has wider margins. A lovely apple green. I've had mine since Spring 2007. So far, it seems a slow grower.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

A lovely FRAGRANT bloom from 'Sweet Innocence' taken July 29.

Now, let's see YOUR pictures of Sq-Sz plants. And PLEASE remember to tell us something about them.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

**Stained Glass**

This is a liner I got from Yahoo Coop just a few months ago, I actually got two, and it is doing so good . Love this little Hosta !

This message was edited Sep 8, 2011 4:58 AM

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

And PLEASE remember to tell us something about them.

Ottawa, Canada

i bought 'Sunlight Child in August.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

'Sugar Daddy', a sport of 'Big Daddy' was bought for my new hosta bed this summer.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

'Summer Lovin' in the same hosta bed. The hostas were subjected to winds early in the season. Pic taken on Sept. 7.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2011 3:59 AM

Thumbnail by irawon
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Sunlight Child looks adorable! I've had in my Hallson's cart for a couple weeks but keep telling myself "no more hostas this year!" Well, except for Jaz. I'm going back for that one in a couple days.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Striptease, planted in 2009. I was warned about HVX being so prevalent in this cultivar that I planted it inside a pot in the ground. This year I dug it up and had to cut the pot off the root ball. It never missed a beat. Can you say enthusiastic grower? Pic from August 10.

Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Sum and Substance, my large one that grows in dappled shade/light. It was here in the garden before me =)

Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Sum and Substance, the (slightly) smaller one that grows in full sun. The leaves grow a little brighter, smaller, and have more corrugation than the other plant. I can't find a pic from this year, so here's one from June 2010.

Thumbnail by Eleven
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Looks like Sun and Substance does pretty good in full sun, I think I might get one after all !! :)

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Just remember that 3 zones can make a big difference in your full sun versus mine!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Good point, but around here any sun tolerance is better than none. I heard mixed reviews about Sun and Substance. About 95% of my Hostas are sun tolerant even thought they get at least 50% shade, they just do better for me. I actually had a full shade spot picked out between the two birch trees, but I could not get a shovel in the ground, too many roots! So I didn't buy one. :(

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Sunlight Child is pretty - a mini - I suspect? Must add that to MY list. In fact, I think when this series of threads is done, I'll sit down and go through them again with a pad and pencil. I may not have any space left, but that doesn't mean I don't have a list.

Ottawa, Canada

Yes, ViolaAnn SC is a mini. I just looked at my hosta list but i didn't record the mature size for that one. I got it at Budd's, so it must be listed on their website.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

St. Paul is one of my "WOW" ones this year. Not really sure when or where I got it, but I'm glad I did!

Thumbnail by Rose1656
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

WOW!!! Love that St.Paul. :)

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Stitch in Time has been a real disappointment for me. I've had it for 4 years now, and this is it! I should probably put it out of it's misery!

Thumbnail by Rose1656
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'St.Paul' is lovely.

Have you tried moving SiT? Strange that it hasn't done well.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

A friend was going hosta shopping several years ago, and I asked her to pick up 'Something Different' for me if she found it. Well, she came home with 'Striptease' and said "Here's something different!" I did find 'Something Different' later, but I'm glad that she got me this 'Striptease'!

Thumbnail by Rose1656
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I've moved it once and tried it in a pot. It didn't seem to help it at all. Maybe I'll try another one some day.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

OK I responded to the "something different" story and it's not there - did it end up in a different thread? Sometimes I have more than one open at once. Or did it vanish into cyberspace?

Ottawa, Canada

Rose, that's a funny story. I have a St. Paul but I don't think mine is that blue. What kind of light is yours in?

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I've responded to things that didn't show up either Ann. I just figured I forgot to hit send.:(

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Probably.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

My St. Paul gets a little morning sun, but is in shade the rest of the day.

Ottawa, Canada

Eleven, 'Jaz' is on my want list but not for this year. I think it's supposed to get big. make sure you show us your purchase.

Ottawa, Canada

Rose, the owner of RWR told me that the originator of 'Stitch in Time' intends to pull it from the market. Your plant looks very healthy to me and doesn't seem to have reverted as many others have. I think you probably just have to be a bit more patient. I think it looks lovely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.