Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Begonias: Salt Lake City nurseries

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 3, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kforrglass
Spring Creek, NV

September 7, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8798126

Does anyone know of any nurseries in Salt Lake City, Utah, that might carry begonias?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8800704

Lived in Salt Lake for 21 years, until 2002, and my kids both are still there, so I visit often. Top nursery in my opinion is Cactus & Tropicals up on 20th East near 2700 South. They have a fabulous selection of exotics as well as some unusual outdoor plants for sale. Their website is excellent, too.

The other one I use for basics, supplies and perennials when I'm helping my daughter with her garden is Millcreek Gardens down on 900 E between 3300 and 3900 South.

I must admit I've never checked out their begonia selection at either place. The dry air and alkaline soil isn't particularly friendly for begonias and such, is it? Keep it in the bathroom or kitchen, somewhere with a little humidity and you might do fine, though.
kforrglass
Spring Creek, NV

September 13, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8806549

Thanks for the nursery suggestions. I live in Northeastern Nevada where the environment is fairly hostile for growing much of anything, but I have a small collection of about 40 begonias which are happy as houseplants with humidity trays. There were number of different begonias in the outdoor plantings at Red Butte Gardens in Salt Lake City. They seemed to be thriving.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8806617

Will have to go to Red Butte next time I visit, thanks! They do have a stream flowing through the gardens there, I recall. It likely helps with a little increased humidity to make it work for begonias. Btw, they have a plant sale in the springtime where you might be able to get some starts of their begonias. Check their website.

Nice way to keep your home healthy and humidified in the desert, with a begonia collection! I've just started with begonias in my shady border area here. So far so good, but we've had a couple of tough winters (for Florida) so we'll see!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America