Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Check out CHIA - an Indigenous Food: Ch-ch-ch-Chia Pets?

Communities > Forums > Article: Check out CHIA - an Indigenous Food
bookmark
Forum: Article: Check out CHIA - an Indigenous FoodReplies: 5, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8798472

Do you have any idea if Chia sages have any relationship to chia pets? I have no idea what actual plant is involved in that forest of seedlings that sprouts from a chia pet...

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8798995

Hi Critter, you guessed it! Yes, Chia sage is indeed what is used in the Chia Pets. I believe they use Salvia hispanica for the "hair" sprouts, which is the species grown commercially.

Happy and Healthy Gardening!
Diana
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8799122

Oh, that's another cool fact-let! thanks!
NordicFletch
Stanchfield, MN

September 15, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8810122

And the sprouts themselves are a good addition to salads, etc.
moonrose777
Topeka, KS
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8813717

What is the USD hardiness on the Salvia Hispanica in part one? Flax seed can and quite often does cause stomach and bowel problems. Is this true of these plants. Thanks

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8814612

Iím not really sure of the USDA zone for Salvia hispanica. Iíd say zone 9 based on this info showing Texas and Florida: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=SAHI6 For the most part, as mentioned in the article, from what I can gather, S.hispanica does best outside the USDA zones (in Guatemala, Mexico, Argentina, Australia etc), which is why commercial growers donít grow it here. I bet you could grow it in KS though. It just wouldn't bloom until the end of the season and may not set seed before a killing frost. Our Tarahumara Chia (S.tiliifolia) just started blooming yesterday!

As for causing stomach and bowel problems
Chia is a seed containing fats and dietary fiber. There are medical conditions that cause some people sensitivities. For healthy individuals, one tablespoon, or less, per day of chia in foods should not be a problem. I always recommend seeing a doctor or healthcare professional for stomach and bowel (or any health) concerns.

Hope this helps,
Diana

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Check out CHIA - an Indigenous Food Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you! critterologist 4 Sep 7, 2011 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America