bromeliads for the novices and addicts - Sept 2011

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi all, back from my holidays and finally have some time to get back to DG.
I've read all the catch ups and thought you all needed a new thread for spring.
Now to find a picture. Hmmmmmm
Vriesea 'Sunset'
we came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1203756/

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Colleen, this is Aechmea fasciata Purpurea.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

and this is hohenbergia correia-araujoi, also called the chocolate ripple plant.
thats about all I have with the brown/silver combination

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

For those not on FB, I went to Bali, had a fabulous time, and got a photo with a Python and an Iguana. The python weighed somewhere around 50-55 kgs and the head was the only concerning factor, being the bitey end. (do I look worried) Also, note, I had a birds nest fern growing out of my head! A quick pic then better leave some room for the rest of you to chat.
It took me all morning to catch up on the last thread, and there were lots of nice pics of Karens, Jeans, Brees, Wendys, Nevs, Jens, Tashs, Pams and Colleens broms. and one really strange post about fireplaces. Spam maybe? I hope I didn't leave anyone out, without going back and having another look. If so, Consider yourself included.
By the way, broms don't seem to feature in Bali gardens, but i did come accross a few in the Bali orchid garden. Pics later.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Clifton Springs, Australia

Sue, I don't look at Facebook often enough so I didn't see this pic on there......
After I fainted at the size of that thing....my husband said that you were the bravest woman he had seen.
I second that.....
The Iguana would have been enough for me..lol
Welcome back, glad that you had a great time...

barmera, Australia

Hi everyone. Sue the one that I saw had quite distinctive silver horizontal stripes with dark background, not mottled at all. Ah well can't have it if I don't know what it is. Sue have you got pups of those two? I'll have one of each if you have. Colleen

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone,
Jean - I need to clarify what I said about those "MEND" seedlings. What I should have said was that they came from MEND “seed”. MEND is a cultivated variety of Ae Lueddemanniana as are a few other highly coloured variegated plants, but when you grow seed from a “selfed” variegated plant (any plant) you will rarely get any variegated seedlings.

Because the full name is really Ae Lueddemannina c.v ‘MEND’, the seedlings are technically all still Ae. Lueddemannianas not MENDs. Sorry about leading you astray.

A final note about how the name MEND came to be (taken from an article written by JEAN MERKEL which can be seen in its entirety at http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=AECHMEA&id=359#359:

The clonal name of 'MEND' was chosen from the initials of four persons involved in the life history of the seedling: M-for my wife, Mildred Merkel; E-for Edward Ensign who sowed the seed; N-for Julian Nally who gave the seed to Mr. Ensign; and D-in memory of Ralph Davis, who encouraged me to propagate the plant.

All the best, Nev.

Merino, Australia

Thanks for that Nev. I am just glad that my Mend has decided not to die entirely and hopefully I may get more pups. I do understand that seedlings are rarely like the parents.. Just like most plants, you can get some plain or beautiful offspring.
Here are some of the broms in the greenhouse. Lovely bright colors.
Would have been better if I had held the camera straight.
Jean

This message was edited Sep 9, 2011 11:26 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Some of the Tills now they are in with the broms.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone,

Jean - That's a pretty good looking collection you're getting together there, soon the brom house will be full and you'll have to extend just like the rest of us did.

I think the "brom bug" has really bitten you hard!

All the best, Nev.

Part of the main display at our last year's show

Thumbnail by splinter1804
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, you do "collect" some strange "friends". That would have been quite heavy (to say the least).

More beauties to see here, glad you all share. Jean, you are doing well there. Nev, you always have something beautiful to show us.

Went down to check mine out this morning, and many had been blown over by the big winds we had yesterday. Fortunately, none had any serious damage. I really need to transfer the larger ones to bigger pots that are more stable. Big job ahead.

Karen

Ionanthus now in flower.....

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Merino, Australia

Karen, with the wind we get here, I have found that a heavy rock in the bottom of the pot helps stabilize it. I did the same for some of my bigger broms to stop them falling off the shelf . They do tend to get top heavy as they grow.
Here a pretty neo... Break of Day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Brisbane, Australia

Jean, that sounds like a good idea. I don't have rocks as such, but do use gravel. Maybe that just isn't heavy enough though. The pots are really way too small for the plants, so repotting them is in order, and that would give them a wider base to stand on too.

My neo. Break of Day plants are looking great. They really are very pretty.

Karen

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone,

Just came home from the show and I have a lot of pic's which I have to load onto the computer for future viewing by our forum.

Karen and Jean - I had the same problem with wind blowing over plants, especially the Billbergias. Now when I pot the Bill's I always fill the bottom third of the pot with Skoria, Marble Chips, Gravel, Blue Metal or any other type of "weighty" rocks I can get my hands on and it seems to solve the problem.

With other broms, especially those in pastic pots, I get a terracotta pot the next size up put enough gravel or other rocks (as above) in the bottom until the top of both pots are the same level when one is put inside the other. If there is sufficient space between the outside of the plastic pot and the inside of the terracotta pot, fill that with the gravel also.

Neo. Break of Day is a beautiful brom. Did you know that you can change the colour by hanging it right up just beneath the shadecloth on the shade house roof?

All the best, Nev.

Neo. Break of Day growing in high light - Note the colour difference.

Brisbane, Australia

Hi all,
Love all the photos and action. Very interesting advice about weighting down pots for wind. Wendy and I have had a lot of fun brom shopping over the last couple of weeks. Here are some of my favourite newbies. This is Vriesea Brown Eyes.

Thumbnail by brombirdie
Brisbane, Australia

Guzmania Luna variegata

Thumbnail by brombirdie
Brisbane, Australia

Neo marmorata albomarginata

Thumbnail by brombirdie
Brisbane, Australia

This one is a little bit knocked about but I loved the colours. Vr. Angela x Red Chestnut.

Thumbnail by brombirdie
Brisbane, Australia

And finally for now Vriesea Forrest.

Thumbnail by brombirdie
barmera, Australia

Hi everyone. Have just been out to take some pics in the SH. Things are looking pretty good out there. Jen I looove that Vriesea Forrest. Has anyone a spare to sell me please? Here's a few pics of what's going on in my part of brom heaven. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
barmera, Australia

Heiraglyphica and Predator taking pride of place on their palm stumps. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
barmera, Australia

a random shot Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
barmera, Australia

Has anyone got an ID for this one please? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Hi all. as Jen said we have had a brom crawl and got a few. here is some that we got from Alan Phythian at Maroochydore.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

just kidding. that was just one section of the vriseas he has growing at Grace Goode's house. Yes Jen and I got to go to Grace's house. Unfortunately at 94 years of age, Grace didn't come downstairs to see us but we'll forgive her. It would have been nice to be able to say we met her but next best, we went to her place. Alan P grows his plants up in her backyard. It was like letting kids go in a candy store. Jen and I didn't know which one to look at first. Jen was a bit hobbled with the knee and couldn't walk up the rows of plants because it was a bit wet and slippery. I was lucky enough that Alan actually gave me a couple of free plants. One he had dropped and broke off the flower. He had actually thrown it in the bin and the leaves were a bit damaged but hey it will throw some pups for us. The other one had almost finished it's flowering and only had about top 3 to open so Alan said if we could use it to cross immediately I could have it. We crossed vr Angela onto it tonight and vice versa.

this pic is some of the vriseas I brought home for Johnny. He was pleased.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

and this is the bare rooted pups I got from the Noosa Brom Sale. They are neos aussie ostrich, laevis variegated, evan (also variegated), goldilocks, ghost (also variegated) flora, focus, little toots, and an aechmea comata makoyama. I must be partial to variegated plants because all but 2 are variegated.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone,

Gee Girls, you're starting to get quite extensive collections together aren't you? You'll soon have to extent your growing areas, remember the old saying among brom growers, "there's always room for one more"

Well I'm back after a rather hectic weekend at the show. I didn't exhibit any plants (I'll leave that tto the young ones) but I did a small educational display on the life cycle of a Neo. (pictures later)

I sold quite a few of my seedlings also, but didn't take up a lot just 20 Neo Thunderbird x Self, 20 Ae Nudicaulis x self (which sold in thirty minutes) and 20 XNiduregelia 'Something Special' x ? (Sue, this was the same as the seedling you saw and liked when you were down)

Colleen - As for the plant you want ID'd I'd almost bet money (if I had any) on it being a hybrid from Neo Shelldance. It has a slight twist in the leaves and the pinkish leaf margins just like Shelldance. Where did it come from?

I'll leave you with the first of many pic's of our show. It's the main display and the theme was "A Fairy Garden" and this section was the 'Banksia Wedding'.

All the best, Nev.

barmera, Australia

That's it Nev. I've lost the tag and I knew I knew what it was. Neo Shelldance. I can't remember where I got it. Maybe Sue. I've had it for a while. That bridal party is so lovely right down to the little hankerchiefs in the pocket. Looking forward to more pics please. Colleen

Queensland, Australia

Good morning everyone,
wow it's sure is lively in here again, which is great to see. Lovely photos everyone, really nice. I must say Jen...WOW wee you have collected some stunners just lately, that Neo marmorata albomarginata is very nice, as too is your Forrest. Was that from Robert? He has amazing broms and his sales page seemed to be a hit.
Colleen is that Vr Megan? She looks lovely.
Wendy you have picked up some nice ones too, how nice to have gone on a brom crawl.
Sue, that Vr Sunset and your Aechmea fasciata Purpurea are too that I'd love to have in my collection one day too, I like them both. Yours are looking great.
Great photos Jean and Karen, very nice :)
Nev great idea bout weighing the pots down, I too have had a couple fall over the other week and had to repot them, no damage though luckily. How did your weekend go with the brom show and your life cycle of a neo? Your Neo break of Day is quite impressive, what a difference high light can make.
Any of you on Facebook would already know of my accident, I was so upset, on Friday afternoon when I moved one of my vrieseas in flower and broke the whole flower off, all I heard was this gut wretching plop sound as the flower landed on the ground. I got most upset and was so angry at myself for doing such a stupid thing. I'll attach a photo of the brom, I think it's either Vr Splendens or Vr Splenriet, but I was banking on the flower to help ID it for me. I have another one similar also starting to push a spike up, so if it looks the same as this one once it gets to this size, then perhaps they are the same. But if the flower is different when it gets to this size, then I'll know they are not the same.
Tash.

Thumbnail by springer99
Queensland, Australia

Nev, glad you had a great show, and you did well selling your seedlings, you'll have to take more next time ;) Yes it will be nice to see some more of your photos, always nice to see these things we can not attend in person :)
Tash

Brisbane, Australia

Hello everyone. Wow, some gorgeous pics to see. Tash, hope you can ID that one. Looks like mine, but I don't know enough to be sure.

Wendy, you've been busy gathering and have got some goodies there.

Nev, I am looking forward to seeing more pics too. Great wedding scene. Are they little bears? My eyes are not good enough to be sure.

Not much to photograph here now, but thought I'd air this one. I think it is a neo fireball, but not sure. Anyway, it has coloured up well and seems to like it on the coconut ball.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong
north coast nsw, Australia

springer- my parents have that striped brom with the red flower and i can't think of the name right now..i'll remember it shortly. hehe!
I actually picked some seed pods off it last thursday and had the sitting on my kitchen table and on the weekend one opened at night and put fluffy seeds all over the table. hehe! Im going to try and grow some.
Whats a good medium to sow brom seeds on? anyone grow them?

Hi everyone. bree talking about collecting seeds I've discovered that the most shrivelled up vrisea pod which looks like it would contain nothing can be split and suddenly the pressure release can send out so much seed. I thought that I had cut a flower spike off my brothers red chestnut far too soon because it seemed to just shrivel up. I nearly chucked it out but decided to see if I could get anything out of it. Boy did I get some seed. It just exploded when I pierced the first one.

I also discovered a flower spike that I had cut off a very large vrisea with a red multi bract flower. I had left the spike on the plant for a long time thinking I could collect the seed but eventually I gave up and cut it off. For some reason I had just dumped it on the top of the spa. Yesterday I was potting on the top of the spa and glanced across and one of the seed pods had split into 3 so I broke off several of the buds and put them into a round plastic takeaway dish. This morning the first one had split open and almost filled the dish (well not quite). Anyhow the moral is don't think any shrivelled up is empty because you may be surprised.

I think we'll be looking for acreage once all these seedlings start growing. I'll have to be like Nev and send them all over the country for everyone else to raise them for me.

Anyhow I'm off to bed. I'm so tired tonight. We had a shelf collapse on us last night so had plants squashed and spilled all over the place this morning. We fixed the shelf this morning and spent the day fixing all the plants. Luckily I had gone through them last week and picked out trays of plants which were starting to colour up. They are safely out the front in the sales area so the bottom shelf wasn't as full as it would have been if the shelf fell last week. Sometimes things do go our way don't they??

Pic is one of our new ones .. neo goldilocks.

Night all
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone,

Well as I said, our show went well and I took lots of pic’s but it will take forever to load them here one at a time so here’s a question for the computer literate people among you:
Does anyone know if I was to post a link here to the 2011 Show file in my Photo bucket account , would you all be able to access the pic’s or don’t links work here?

Tash – The plant you broke the spike on looks very much like one I have and that’s Vr. 'Splendriet'. Where did d you get it? Most of the ones available at general nurseries, Bunnings, Kmart, Big W etc are commercially produced tissue cultured Splendriet plants; and don’t worry about breaking off the spike, just tell everyone you removed it prematurely to produce pups quicker.

Karen – The figures in the “Fairy Wedding” are ‘Banksia people’ , but I guess you all have to have a good imagination of fairies and elves etc to understand it all and I’m afraid it’s a long time since I believed in fairies (and that was the tooth fairy and only because it brought money!). The thing is the kids loved it and one little girl went and sat in the middle of everything, and her imagination must have gone into overdrive and it was great to see little kids being little kids again.

There was also a little boy and girl and their parents looking over the 'Life Cycle of a Neoregelia' display I did, and they were around five or six years old. They were shooting questions at me like a machine gun and asking how the plants are pollinated, and then out of the blue the little girl looked me in the eye and asked, “Is it just like playing mummies and daddies then?”. I was stumped for an answer initially but finally just said to her, “ask mummy” and left it at that. (And I thought I was pretty safe sitting in the corner behind my little display and just answering questions)

Breeindy – If you send me your email address I can send you some simple step by step instructions on growing brom seed if you like, some of the other girls got them and found them helpful.

Wendy – I like your little seedling, and it will be very interesting to see how that variegation turns out on maturity. What was the crossing, or is that a trade secret?

I’m posting three pic’s of my little “Life Cycle of a Neoregelia” display. The first pic is where the cycle starts with the seed and then through the various stages (pic 2) until it finishes with a plant in premature decline (due to cold damage) which is desperately trying to reproduce itself via pups and seeds (pic 3).

I’ll also post another pic for those of you who are into the Tillandsias – This plant was the Open Grand Champion of the show and is over thirty five years old.

All the best, Nev.

shellharbour, Australia

Pic 2

shellharbour, Australia

Pic 3

shellharbour, Australia

Grand Champion Open Section

Tillandsia ionantha

Brisbane, Australia

Nev, I think you can post the link to Photobucket albums here. I get confused as to which link to use though, so trial and error? I've posted a link to a short video I have on Photobucket too.

Love the displays, and of course the ionantha. Wish there were more shows here as I love browsing through them.

Am going to try to insert the link to my Photobucket album. Can you let me know if it works, please?

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/loonilori/BROMELIADS%20and%20TILLANDSIAS/?albumview=slideshow

If it has worked, I went to Album options, Share album, Get Link Code, and in the box that popped up I clicked on slideshow.

Good luck.

Karen

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011 2:56 PM

Christchurch, New Zealand

yes - linking to photo bucket works...
and Karen - wow!
very impressed by your pics.

wow Karen. I don't even know how to create a photobucket. well done. it looks great.

Nev I think the seedling you likes was tg which is neo takamura x grace darling. The range of colours in this cross from deep dark purple to pale golden with pink tinges and patches and then throw in a few stripes, is amazing. The other seedlings with pd numbers are just seed taken from painted delight. at the time we expected painted delight plants but being a hybrid we have a mixed result but again a range of colours, patterns and patches and stripes. I love watching them develop their own looks.

we have seed coming up everywhere Nev. We have already worked out that the seeds grown in tubs with airholes in the lids are less likely to go mouldy. We reused the plastic dishes that we get crickets for the frog. These have very perfect holes all around the outside of lid. None of those have gone mouldy. so we now have holes in all lids.

Our local Bunnings are undergoing renovations and as they move a section for upgrade they are putting pellets of stock out on special to clear them rather than move them. So amazing specials. today they were moving the gardening section so got some more large tubs with rope handles and picked up some for Jen too. We already have a few and they are perfect for ducking up to the landscape yard for a couple tubs of bark or crusher dust or stone etc. We use them all the time so a few more will be handy and for $5.

Once again I have left the camera downstairs so no new pics uploaded so I'll post another seedling pd60.Johnny keeps telling me one night someone is going to come in under the house and walk off with the camera but this time I know it is in the car so safe.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.