Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: bromeliads for the novices and addicts - Sept 2011

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 126, Views: 1,291
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 8, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8799585

Hi all, back from my holidays and finally have some time to get back to DG.
I've read all the catch ups and thought you all needed a new thread for spring.
Now to find a picture. Hmmmmmm
Vriesea 'Sunset'
we came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1203756/

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 8, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8799589

Colleen, this is Aechmea fasciata Purpurea.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 8, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8799590

and this is hohenbergia correia-araujoi, also called the chocolate ripple plant.
thats about all I have with the brown/silver combination

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 8, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8799596

For those not on FB, I went to Bali, had a fabulous time, and got a photo with a Python and an Iguana. The python weighed somewhere around 50-55 kgs and the head was the only concerning factor, being the bitey end. (do I look worried) Also, note, I had a birds nest fern growing out of my head! A quick pic then better leave some room for the rest of you to chat.
It took me all morning to catch up on the last thread, and there were lots of nice pics of Karens, Jeans, Brees, Wendys, Nevs, Jens, Tashs, Pams and Colleens broms. and one really strange post about fireplaces. Spam maybe? I hope I didn't leave anyone out, without going back and having another look. If so, Consider yourself included.
By the way, broms don't seem to feature in Bali gardens, but i did come accross a few in the Bali orchid garden. Pics later.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 8, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8799629

Sue, I don't look at Facebook often enough so I didn't see this pic on there...
After I fainted at the size of that thing...my husband said that you were the bravest woman he had seen.
I second that...
The Iguana would have been enough for me..lol
Welcome back, glad that you had a great time...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 8, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8799638

Hi everyone. Sue the one that I saw had quite distinctive silver horizontal stripes with dark background, not mottled at all. Ah well can't have it if I don't know what it is. Sue have you got pups of those two? I'll have one of each if you have. Colleen
splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 8, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8799703

Hi everyone,
Jean - I need to clarify what I said about those "MEND" seedlings. What I should have said was that they came from MEND “seed”. MEND is a cultivated variety of Ae Lueddemanniana as are a few other highly coloured variegated plants, but when you grow seed from a “selfed” variegated plant (any plant) you will rarely get any variegated seedlings.

Because the full name is really Ae Lueddemannina c.v ‘MEND’, the seedlings are technically all still Ae. Lueddemannianas not MENDs. Sorry about leading you astray.

A final note about how the name MEND came to be (taken from an article written by JEAN MERKEL which can be seen in its entirety at http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=AECHMEA&id=359#359:

The clonal name of 'MEND' was chosen from the initials of four persons involved in the life history of the seedling: M-for my wife, Mildred Merkel; E-for Edward Ensign who sowed the seed; N-for Julian Nally who gave the seed to Mr. Ensign; and D-in memory of Ralph Davis, who encouraged me to propagate the plant.

All the best, Nev.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 8, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8799726

Thanks for that Nev. I am just glad that my Mend has decided not to die entirely and hopefully I may get more pups. I do understand that seedlings are rarely like the parents.. Just like most plants, you can get some plain or beautiful offspring.
Here are some of the broms in the greenhouse. Lovely bright colors.
Would have been better if I had held the camera straight.
Jean

This message was edited Sep 9, 2011 11:26 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 8, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8799729

Some of the Tills now they are in with the broms.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 9, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8800995

Hi everyone,

Jean - That's a pretty good looking collection you're getting together there, soon the brom house will be full and you'll have to extend just like the rest of us did.

I think the "brom bug" has really bitten you hard!

All the best, Nev.

Part of the main display at our last year's show

Thumbnail by splinter1804

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 9, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8801010

Sue, you do "collect" some strange "friends". That would have been quite heavy (to say the least).

More beauties to see here, glad you all share. Jean, you are doing well there. Nev, you always have something beautiful to show us.

Went down to check mine out this morning, and many had been blown over by the big winds we had yesterday. Fortunately, none had any serious damage. I really need to transfer the larger ones to bigger pots that are more stable. Big job ahead.

Karen

Ionanthus now in flower...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 9, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8801037

Karen, with the wind we get here, I have found that a heavy rock in the bottom of the pot helps stabilize it. I did the same for some of my bigger broms to stop them falling off the shelf . They do tend to get top heavy as they grow.
Here a pretty neo... Break of Day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 9, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8801078

Jean, that sounds like a good idea. I don't have rocks as such, but do use gravel. Maybe that just isn't heavy enough though. The pots are really way too small for the plants, so repotting them is in order, and that would give them a wider base to stand on too.

My neo. Break of Day plants are looking great. They really are very pretty.

Karen
splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 9, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8801719

Hi everyone,

Just came home from the show and I have a lot of pic's which I have to load onto the computer for future viewing by our forum.

Karen and Jean - I had the same problem with wind blowing over plants, especially the Billbergias. Now when I pot the Bill's I always fill the bottom third of the pot with Skoria, Marble Chips, Gravel, Blue Metal or any other type of "weighty" rocks I can get my hands on and it seems to solve the problem.

With other broms, especially those in pastic pots, I get a terracotta pot the next size up put enough gravel or other rocks (as above) in the bottom until the top of both pots are the same level when one is put inside the other. If there is sufficient space between the outside of the plastic pot and the inside of the terracotta pot, fill that with the gravel also.

Neo. Break of Day is a beautiful brom. Did you know that you can change the colour by hanging it right up just beneath the shadecloth on the shade house roof?

All the best, Nev.

Neo. Break of Day growing in high light - Note the colour difference.

brombirdie
Brisbane
Australia

September 10, 2011
9:33 PM

Post #8803053

Hi all,
Love all the photos and action. Very interesting advice about weighting down pots for wind. Wendy and I have had a lot of fun brom shopping over the last couple of weeks. Here are some of my favourite newbies. This is Vriesea Brown Eyes.

Thumbnail by brombirdie

brombirdie
Brisbane
Australia

September 10, 2011
9:36 PM

Post #8803054

Guzmania Luna variegata

Thumbnail by brombirdie

brombirdie
Brisbane
Australia

September 10, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8803055

Neo marmorata albomarginata

Thumbnail by brombirdie

brombirdie
Brisbane
Australia

September 10, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8803056

This one is a little bit knocked about but I loved the colours. Vr. Angela x Red Chestnut.

Thumbnail by brombirdie

brombirdie
Brisbane
Australia

September 10, 2011
9:46 PM

Post #8803058

And finally for now Vriesea Forrest.

Thumbnail by brombirdie

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 10, 2011
10:45 PM

Post #8803087

Hi everyone. Have just been out to take some pics in the SH. Things are looking pretty good out there. Jen I looove that Vriesea Forrest. Has anyone a spare to sell me please? Here's a few pics of what's going on in my part of brom heaven. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 10, 2011
10:48 PM

Post #8803090

Heiraglyphica and Predator taking pride of place on their palm stumps. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 10, 2011
10:50 PM

Post #8803091

a random shot Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 11, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8803215

Has anyone got an ID for this one please? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

perke_patch

September 11, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8803294

Hi all. as Jen said we have had a brom crawl and got a few. here is some that we got from Alan Phythian at Maroochydore.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

perke_patch

September 11, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8803303

just kidding. that was just one section of the vriseas he has growing at Grace Goode's house. Yes Jen and I got to go to Grace's house. Unfortunately at 94 years of age, Grace didn't come downstairs to see us but we'll forgive her. It would have been nice to be able to say we met her but next best, we went to her place. Alan P grows his plants up in her backyard. It was like letting kids go in a candy store. Jen and I didn't know which one to look at first. Jen was a bit hobbled with the knee and couldn't walk up the rows of plants because it was a bit wet and slippery. I was lucky enough that Alan actually gave me a couple of free plants. One he had dropped and broke off the flower. He had actually thrown it in the bin and the leaves were a bit damaged but hey it will throw some pups for us. The other one had almost finished it's flowering and only had about top 3 to open so Alan said if we could use it to cross immediately I could have it. We crossed vr Angela onto it tonight and vice versa.

this pic is some of the vriseas I brought home for Johnny. He was pleased.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

perke_patch

September 11, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8803309

and this is the bare rooted pups I got from the Noosa Brom Sale. They are neos aussie ostrich, laevis variegated, evan (also variegated), goldilocks, ghost (also variegated) flora, focus, little toots, and an aechmea comata makoyama. I must be partial to variegated plants because all but 2 are variegated.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 11, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8803828

Hi everyone,

Gee Girls, you're starting to get quite extensive collections together aren't you? You'll soon have to extent your growing areas, remember the old saying among brom growers, "there's always room for one more"

Well I'm back after a rather hectic weekend at the show. I didn't exhibit any plants (I'll leave that tto the young ones) but I did a small educational display on the life cycle of a Neo. (pictures later)

I sold quite a few of my seedlings also, but didn't take up a lot just 20 Neo Thunderbird x Self, 20 Ae Nudicaulis x self (which sold in thirty minutes) and 20 XNiduregelia 'Something Special' x ? (Sue, this was the same as the seedling you saw and liked when you were down)

Colleen - As for the plant you want ID'd I'd almost bet money (if I had any) on it being a hybrid from Neo Shelldance. It has a slight twist in the leaves and the pinkish leaf margins just like Shelldance. Where did it come from?

I'll leave you with the first of many pic's of our show. It's the main display and the theme was "A Fairy Garden" and this section was the 'Banksia Wedding'.

All the best, Nev.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 11, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8803850

That's it Nev. I've lost the tag and I knew I knew what it was. Neo Shelldance. I can't remember where I got it. Maybe Sue. I've had it for a while. That bridal party is so lovely right down to the little hankerchiefs in the pocket. Looking forward to more pics please. Colleen

springer99

springer99
Queensland
Australia

September 11, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8803891

Good morning everyone,
wow it's sure is lively in here again, which is great to see. Lovely photos everyone, really nice. I must say Jen...WOW wee you have collected some stunners just lately, that Neo marmorata albomarginata is very nice, as too is your Forrest. Was that from Robert? He has amazing broms and his sales page seemed to be a hit.
Colleen is that Vr Megan? She looks lovely.
Wendy you have picked up some nice ones too, how nice to have gone on a brom crawl.
Sue, that Vr Sunset and your Aechmea fasciata Purpurea are too that I'd love to have in my collection one day too, I like them both. Yours are looking great.
Great photos Jean and Karen, very nice :)
Nev great idea bout weighing the pots down, I too have had a couple fall over the other week and had to repot them, no damage though luckily. How did your weekend go with the brom show and your life cycle of a neo? Your Neo break of Day is quite impressive, what a difference high light can make.
Any of you on Facebook would already know of my accident, I was so upset, on Friday afternoon when I moved one of my vrieseas in flower and broke the whole flower off, all I heard was this gut wretching plop sound as the flower landed on the ground. I got most upset and was so angry at myself for doing such a stupid thing. I'll attach a photo of the brom, I think it's either Vr Splendens or Vr Splenriet, but I was banking on the flower to help ID it for me. I have another one similar also starting to push a spike up, so if it looks the same as this one once it gets to this size, then perhaps they are the same. But if the flower is different when it gets to this size, then I'll know they are not the same.
Tash.

Thumbnail by springer99

springer99

springer99
Queensland
Australia

September 11, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8803900

Nev, glad you had a great show, and you did well selling your seedlings, you'll have to take more next time ;) Yes it will be nice to see some more of your photos, always nice to see these things we can not attend in person :)
Tash
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8803917

Hello everyone. Wow, some gorgeous pics to see. Tash, hope you can ID that one. Looks like mine, but I don't know enough to be sure.

Wendy, you've been busy gathering and have got some goodies there.

Nev, I am looking forward to seeing more pics too. Great wedding scene. Are they little bears? My eyes are not good enough to be sure.

Not much to photograph here now, but thought I'd air this one. I think it is a neo fireball, but not sure. Anyway, it has coloured up well and seems to like it on the coconut ball.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 11, 2011
10:46 PM

Post #8804480

springer- my parents have that striped brom with the red flower and i can't think of the name right now..i'll remember it shortly. hehe!
I actually picked some seed pods off it last thursday and had the sitting on my kitchen table and on the weekend one opened at night and put fluffy seeds all over the table. hehe! Im going to try and grow some.
Whats a good medium to sow brom seeds on? anyone grow them?
perke_patch

September 12, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8804704

Hi everyone. bree talking about collecting seeds I've discovered that the most shrivelled up vrisea pod which looks like it would contain nothing can be split and suddenly the pressure release can send out so much seed. I thought that I had cut a flower spike off my brothers red chestnut far too soon because it seemed to just shrivel up. I nearly chucked it out but decided to see if I could get anything out of it. Boy did I get some seed. It just exploded when I pierced the first one.

I also discovered a flower spike that I had cut off a very large vrisea with a red multi bract flower. I had left the spike on the plant for a long time thinking I could collect the seed but eventually I gave up and cut it off. For some reason I had just dumped it on the top of the spa. Yesterday I was potting on the top of the spa and glanced across and one of the seed pods had split into 3 so I broke off several of the buds and put them into a round plastic takeaway dish. This morning the first one had split open and almost filled the dish (well not quite). Anyhow the moral is don't think any shrivelled up is empty because you may be surprised.

I think we'll be looking for acreage once all these seedlings start growing. I'll have to be like Nev and send them all over the country for everyone else to raise them for me.

Anyhow I'm off to bed. I'm so tired tonight. We had a shelf collapse on us last night so had plants squashed and spilled all over the place this morning. We fixed the shelf this morning and spent the day fixing all the plants. Luckily I had gone through them last week and picked out trays of plants which were starting to colour up. They are safely out the front in the sales area so the bottom shelf wasn't as full as it would have been if the shelf fell last week. Sometimes things do go our way don't they??

Pic is one of our new ones .. neo goldilocks.

Night all
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 12, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8805419

Hi everyone,

Well as I said, our show went well and I took lots of pic’s but it will take forever to load them here one at a time so here’s a question for the computer literate people among you:
Does anyone know if I was to post a link here to the 2011 Show file in my Photo bucket account , would you all be able to access the pic’s or don’t links work here?

Tash – The plant you broke the spike on looks very much like one I have and that’s Vr. 'Splendriet'. Where did d you get it? Most of the ones available at general nurseries, Bunnings, Kmart, Big W etc are commercially produced tissue cultured Splendriet plants; and don’t worry about breaking off the spike, just tell everyone you removed it prematurely to produce pups quicker.

Karen – The figures in the “Fairy Wedding” are ‘Banksia people’ , but I guess you all have to have a good imagination of fairies and elves etc to understand it all and I’m afraid it’s a long time since I believed in fairies (and that was the tooth fairy and only because it brought money!). The thing is the kids loved it and one little girl went and sat in the middle of everything, and her imagination must have gone into overdrive and it was great to see little kids being little kids again.

There was also a little boy and girl and their parents looking over the 'Life Cycle of a Neoregelia' display I did, and they were around five or six years old. They were shooting questions at me like a machine gun and asking how the plants are pollinated, and then out of the blue the little girl looked me in the eye and asked, “Is it just like playing mummies and daddies then?”. I was stumped for an answer initially but finally just said to her, “ask mummy” and left it at that. (And I thought I was pretty safe sitting in the corner behind my little display and just answering questions)

Breeindy – If you send me your email address I can send you some simple step by step instructions on growing brom seed if you like, some of the other girls got them and found them helpful.

Wendy – I like your little seedling, and it will be very interesting to see how that variegation turns out on maturity. What was the crossing, or is that a trade secret?

I’m posting three pic’s of my little “Life Cycle of a Neoregelia” display. The first pic is where the cycle starts with the seed and then through the various stages (pic 2) until it finishes with a plant in premature decline (due to cold damage) which is desperately trying to reproduce itself via pups and seeds (pic 3).

I’ll also post another pic for those of you who are into the Tillandsias – This plant was the Open Grand Champion of the show and is over thirty five years old.

All the best, Nev.

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 12, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8805423

Pic 2

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 12, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8805428

Pic 3

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 12, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8805434

Grand Champion Open Section

Tillandsia ionantha

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 12, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8805518

Nev, I think you can post the link to Photobucket albums here. I get confused as to which link to use though, so trial and error? I've posted a link to a short video I have on Photobucket too.

Love the displays, and of course the ionantha. Wish there were more shows here as I love browsing through them.

Am going to try to insert the link to my Photobucket album. Can you let me know if it works, please?

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/loonilori/BROMELIADS%20and%20TILLANDSIAS/?albumview=slideshow

If it has worked, I went to Album options, Share album, Get Link Code, and in the box that popped up I clicked on slideshow.

Good luck.

Karen

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011 2:56 PM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

September 13, 2011
1:36 AM

Post #8806249

yes - linking to photo bucket works...
and Karen - wow!
very impressed by your pics.
perke_patch

September 13, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8806418

wow Karen. I don't even know how to create a photobucket. well done. it looks great.

Nev I think the seedling you likes was tg which is neo takamura x grace darling. The range of colours in this cross from deep dark purple to pale golden with pink tinges and patches and then throw in a few stripes, is amazing. The other seedlings with pd numbers are just seed taken from painted delight. at the time we expected painted delight plants but being a hybrid we have a mixed result but again a range of colours, patterns and patches and stripes. I love watching them develop their own looks.

we have seed coming up everywhere Nev. We have already worked out that the seeds grown in tubs with airholes in the lids are less likely to go mouldy. We reused the plastic dishes that we get crickets for the frog. These have very perfect holes all around the outside of lid. None of those have gone mouldy. so we now have holes in all lids.

Our local Bunnings are undergoing renovations and as they move a section for upgrade they are putting pellets of stock out on special to clear them rather than move them. So amazing specials. today they were moving the gardening section so got some more large tubs with rope handles and picked up some for Jen too. We already have a few and they are perfect for ducking up to the landscape yard for a couple tubs of bark or crusher dust or stone etc. We use them all the time so a few more will be handy and for $5.

Once again I have left the camera downstairs so no new pics uploaded so I'll post another seedling pd60.Johnny keeps telling me one night someone is going to come in under the house and walk off with the camera but this time I know it is in the car so safe.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 13, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8807031

Hi everyone,

Karen - The link works fine so now we can post heaps and heaps of pic's without it taking all day to load them, "great stuff". Now to get everyone onto Photobucket is the next thing.

Breeindy - I'll get those notes off to you today.

Wendy - Yes, that's the best part of growing from seed, whatching the unexpected turn up. I tell people it's like buying a lottery ticket and the other thing people don't realise is, that each seedling is unique so if you get a good 'un you're the only one with it.

It's good to see your camera is safe in the car, ha ha; the next thing you'll find is someone has broken a window to pinch it and while they are at it they pinch your car at the same time. It happens all the time down here and when you eventually find the car it's a burnt out heap of rubbish, (nothing like a fire to destroy evidence)

DON'T LEAVE VALUABLE IN CARS!

All the best, Nev.

Pic of the day Tillandsia ixioides

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 13, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8807109

Am so pleased the link works. Now we can share albums instead of single pics. However, I love the individual pics too, so both will be great. I get so much enjoyment in seeing everyone's pics.

Love the Ixioides, Nev. I have it but so far no flowers. Nice to see yellow for a change. I have about 14 different tills either in flower or budding up. Going to be fun to see the flowers for the first time on most.

Wendy, which Bunnings do you go to mainly? I have choices here. We have Eight Mile Plains, Underwood, and Browns Plains to choose from here. I am rather partial to Browns Plains but it depends on what I want, some. Last trek was for some packaging boxes as my daughter is in the process of moving to the Coast.

I've been in Photobucket so long, I can't remember how I got into it. It's all probably changed since then anyway. The first thing you would have to do though is to "Create an Account".

Bulbosa at its height.

Karen

This message was edited Sep 13, 2011 3:35 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 13, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8807407

Hi everyone,

I know when I first tried to join Phottobucket I had no end of trouble as it kept rejecting my postcode. We later found the reason was that as it's an American programme, all postcodes (read zip codes) require five digits not four like the Aussie ones. I just put an "0" before my post code number and "hey presto" I'm in.

All the best, Nev.

Can't waste the opportunity to post another show pic.

Tillandsia tenuifolia

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 13, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8807421

Hi again,

Karen - See how this one goes http://s512.photobucket.com/albums/t329/splinter1804/Aechmeas/?start=all

All the best, Nev.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 13, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8807461

Hi everyone. Nev your photobucket came through beautifully. I want want want. Have you a Mirlo spare please? Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 13, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8807606

Beautiful pics Nev. I do like that Mirlo too.
I thought I remembered the name so went out to look and here is mine.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 13, 2011
10:12 PM

Post #8807607

The bud on the recurvata is getting bigger .

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 13, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8807610

My nidularium fulgens is looking really lovely. It is growing taller

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 13, 2011
10:16 PM

Post #8807612

My aechmea orlandiana. I like it . I love the striped & spotted broms

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 13, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8807615

This one I bought as aechmea organensis but the pictures I have looked at seem a lot darker green

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 13, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8807616

This is my neo " Beefsteak " which was a gift from the lovely Leisa.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 13, 2011
11:41 PM

Post #8807648

Jean your broms are looking great too. I have a couple of pics to show. First one is Neo hrybrid chlorostricta which looks very much like your "beefsteak" and then I have a pic of the plant that was IDed as "beefsteak" Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 13, 2011
11:44 PM

Post #8807649

"beefsteak"???

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 14, 2011
12:51 AM

Post #8807667

Some nice plants there, Jean and Colleen.

Nev, you have some real beauties. I notice you have the slide show on FB. How did you do that?

Karen

Neo Pemiento pup. Hasn't grown much, but I talk to it daily to encourage it along.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 14, 2011
1:15 AM

Post #8807671

Thanks Karen. Yours are pretty good yourself. We all seem to have a lot of different ones and when I see them I WANT them. lol I love the lengthwise stripes and the spots on pemiento. Colleen
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 14, 2011
3:22 AM

Post #8807708

Hi all, Nev, after checking out your Aechmeas in photo bucket, does your weilbachii april jewells get a nice flower?
Sue
perke_patch

September 14, 2011
5:14 AM

Post #8807795

photobucket keeps crashing for me but what I saw was lovely. Nev you have some lovely recurvater hybrids. It would be lovely to raise them from seeds and eventually flower to show all those differences in size, shape and colour. wonderful.

Nev hopefully our car is safe locked in the carport behind the electric gate with a sensor light above it which shines into our bedroom and wakes us up if it comes on. And guess where the camera is again tonight????? yep still in the car. I forgot it today.

I tried to sign up with photobucket but when it asked for my credit card details I shut down. Not willing to pay and keep on paying. I'll post my pics on facebook for free.

Pic is our aechmea mexicana in flower.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 14, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8808216

Wendy, I'm shocked you got asked for your credit card details. Something wrong there. I never gave anything like that, nor any bank details. Actually, I don't even have a credit card. There are no costs involved in putting photos up on Photobucket. There may be options to upgrade but I never looked at those, if they exist.

Wondering, does anyone else know what could have happened?

Karen
splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 14, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8808350

Good morning everyone,

Firstly, is everyone able to open up the Photo bucket files I’m sending? It’s not much good doing it if everyone can’t see them, in which case I’d need to work out something different. There are other free photo storage sites available, but it’s just that I’m reasonably comfortable using this one so I’ll stick to it. A lot of forums have their own simpler facility where you can load pic’s, but like this site you can only do them one at a time which takes forever.

Jean – You have a nice variety of plants happening there and it’s good to see you have a Nidularium included. In my opinion they are the “unsung heroes” of the bromeliad world. They are easy to grow, they’ll grow in shady areas where others won’t grow, the flowers are very long lasting and they pup freely. I think every collection should have a few, they’re great.

Colleen – That pic of ? Beefsteak is the same as the plant that’s been getting around our area for years with the “Beefsteak” name. It looks nothing like the Beefsteak on the BCR and I’m sure it’s not just a matter of light quality that’s altered its appearance. I can only conclude that it’s one of the thousands of NOIDS that someone has decided to give their own “pet name” too. I’m interested in where you got it from Colleen, did it come from me or is it a local one?

Sue – Ae weilbachii ‘April Jewels’ has very similar flowers to the others but I can’t remember if it’s upright or pendulous. I seem to remember that it also has a reddish colour through the leaves as well, but to be honest, I haven’t taken a lot of notice recently as they don’t do particularly well here. I think it could be the salt air that makes the leaf tips go brown; not a good sight.

Wendy – The Photo bucket site I’m on is a free site and none of my friends who use it have ever mentioned what you say about wanting a credit card. I can’t understand the requirement for the credit card, either it’s been altered or there’s a gremlin in there trying to scam some money out of you. I’ve been using it ever since I joined the (original) Garden Web Forum (bromeliads) as that was the only way you could post pic’s and everyone used it. That’s about 5-6 years ago and I’ve never paid a cent, don’t know why it could be ???????
Your Ae Mexicana flowers look very similar to the flowers on Ae lueddemanniana.

As for your comment about the Ae recurvata seedlings, they’re like all seedlings, we wait in anticipation but unfortunately we can’t keep them all. The Ae recurvatas exhibited at our show created a lot of interest and consequently helped me to sell about 40 of my seedlings, so that will help a bit with the space problem.

I'll finish with a pic of the Ae Recurvata which came 1st in the Novice - Aechmea Section as well as getting Grand Champ in that section also.

All the best, Nev.

Ae. recurvata

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 14, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8808373

Hi again,

Karen - You said, " I notice you have the slide show on FB. How did you do that" To answer your question, "wouldn't have a clue", must have pressed the wrong button as I'm always inclined to do.
Now to find the slide show section on Facebook and see if I can open it to have a look myself.

All the best, Nev.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 14, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8808541

Oh wow, why doesn't my Ae. Recurvata look like that?

Nev, I think there is something on Photobucket that you tick or agree to or something that puts your pics on FB. What was strange though is that it seemed to be under Chris' name, not yours. I must admit, I was somewhat befuddled. It looks good though.

Just checked, and it appears to have been posted by Chris Tonnito, but is your album. So if you can't find it, check on her wall posts.

Karen
perke_patch

September 14, 2011
11:31 PM

Post #8809051

Hi everyone. when I tried to open a photobucket account I was given an option to pay a fee monthly, yearly or multi yearly and asked how I wanted to pay. I clicked around a bit trying to find a free option but no joy. Perhaps they have decided to make a bit of money out of it now???

Nev sorry I haven't sent your plants. I promise I will put them all together over the next couple days and have them ready to go to the post office Monday morning. We've had a bit of bother with Johnny being unwell again. Falling almost daily. Some nice marks on his face and body. We were told last night that his illness has flared up again so back on big doses again till it's under control again. We've done nothing in the garden all day. He's sitting in his chair in front of the TV having a nap right now. Hopefully a few days on higher dosage will make him feel better soon.

I'm off to the meeting tonight. I promised Johnny I would not buy any more plants tonight, just the tillandsia book I wanted. He gave me a $20 note earlier and said if there is a really really nice vrisea there to just get that one for him. So we don't have room for any more neos but we can always make room for one more foliage vrisea right???

We're supposed to be selling plants weekend of 24 & 25. We need to make room for all the pups coming off. There is so much lovely colourful plants at the moment I'm sure we'll sell lots. Hope Johnny will be better by then so he can sell that weekend.

I'll leave you now with a pic of my favourite nidularium leprosa.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 15, 2011
1:22 AM

Post #8809084

Thanks so much splinter for them notes, there great and very detailed. I'll have a go.
splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 15, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8810423

Hi everyone,

Karen - I don't know how that Chris Tonnito bloke posted my pic's on a slide show as I don't even know him. Anyway, I hope everyone who sees them enjoys them, but it would have been nice if he had asked first. I'm so bloody computer illiterate that I can't even find where on the site the slide show is to view it myself!

Wendy - Sorry to hear Johnny's not well, you must be working him too hard. I imagine if you get him a nice foliage vriesea he'll feel a bit better. How was the meeting, did you have a good time chatting with other brom lovers?

I love Nid. leprosa, its a really nice Nidularium and the spotting is so unusual. More and more growers are now getting to know and like these plants and that can only be good for everyone.

I also have a closely related plant called xNiduregelia 'Something Special' which is a bigeneric cross between a Nidularium fulgens and Neoregelia 'Vulkan'. When I bought it, the flowers were just finishing and a short time later I noticed they were all changing into seed capsules. Because they all were seed capsule suggests that this plant is a selfer and being bigeneric, all the experts would have us believe the seed would all be sterile.

Well I sowed a bit and can assure you that it is very, very fertile; and I have about 75 seedling to prove it. Out of the first 20 or so to flower last year about 16 were similar to medium sized Neo's, not much in the shape department but nice colours in the vase. The other 4 were like the xNiduregelia 'Something Special' only a bit better in shape and a lighter colour. Unfortunately they are quite cold sensitive and a lot suffered damage from our recent cold winter, so I may even have to send a few of them up North to see what they turn out like.

Breeindy - Glad you liked the notes, if you have any questions you know where to reach me.

All the best, Nev.

XNiduregelia 'Something Special'

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 16, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8811462

Good morning.

Wendy, I am so sorry to hear that John isn't well. I hope he picks up again quickly. Nothing worse than feeling less than your best all the time.

Nev, I'm sorry, I think you have to be "friends" with Chris before you can see her wall.

I've been getting a bit more done outside, which has stirred up my shoulder no end, but worth it. After the winds we've had, there are huge piles of leaves lying around which I have to get down and bag up. Looks dreadful, but as fast as I pick it up, the wind blows more in. The yard is flowering with those pink freesia type flowers. The bulbs have spread all through the yard, and I don't mow until the flowering is finished. I love them.

So pleased to see some of my broms getting pups. I think that pleases me more than the flowers, though the flowers are slow to form.

Karen

A noid, possible Fireball?, looking pretty in flower.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2011 7:17 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 16, 2011
11:57 PM

Post #8811842

Does anyone recognise this neo? The pink one and the green one are the two pups. The mother is buried deep under them (second pic).

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 17, 2011
12:00 AM

Post #8811844

And this is what I could get of the mother plant underneath. I'll separate these 3 shortly to give them some space.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

perke_patch

September 17, 2011
12:21 AM

Post #8811862

Hi all. thanks for the messages re Johnny. He has been on the massive dose again for 3 days now and seems a bit less grumpy and irritable although still lots of aches and pains. He is resting right now and seems to be doing that a lot in the afternoons. But he won't rest if I am out working so I have to wait for him to doze off then go back out to pot some more (or just sit on the computer hahaha). Anyhow hopefully with a full week and a bit on high dose meds he will start to pick up for our sale next weekend. Otherwise I am going to be ragged by the end.

Nev we have xniduregelia something special. It is lovely isn't it and aptly named. I would love to try a cross like that one day. I went to pull a dead head of one of our pitcairnias the other day and it spilled seeds all over the place so I had to pick the rest of the heads then. I put down just one pod and got a very full seed tray so if anyone wants to try a pitcairnia species I'm happy to share them. It had a lovely tall orange spray of flowers but I can't find a pic of it. I must have taken a photo surely.

The BSQ meeting was interesting Thursday night. they had a talk by Nigel Thompson re "to feed or not to feed". He gave a very good talk on an experiment he did on feeding broms (all genera) and the different sizes, colours and shapes you can get from different feeding regimes. He had taken 3 identical pups and fed them differing amounts of fertiliser and kept them in different areas to see the differences. One was given 12 month osmocote and shoved down the back shadehouse and neglected. one was given 6 months osmocote then topped up again with more doses and the third was given 12 month dose and kept in close shadehouse where it got regular folia feeding. Results were amazing especially in the neos. Nigel grows amazing tissue culture guzmanias and flowering vriseas and believes his large sizes come from the feeding he gives them. Anyhow it was worth listening to and seeing the results in all genera. Lots to think about.

I got Johnny a hieroglyphica that has strange banding pattern. Nobody knows why but 2 pups came out together with this banding pattern. Jen got one and Johnny wanted the other so I got it for him. We like the strange and unusual things here. The only other things I got today were some new tillandsias and a neomea kell which I quite liked as it was different.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

perke_patch

September 17, 2011
12:25 AM

Post #8811869

Karen your neo looks like collissiana. I think you got it from me. it is a carolinae hybrid.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 17, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8812404

Hi everyone,

Wendy - That's a nice looking plant you have there. Where did you get the info about it being a carolinae hybrid as I've been looking on the BSI cultivar register and the FCBS Photo Index and can't find it listed, so it's not a registered hybrid.

Is it one you bred or perhaps it came from another Queensland hybridist who has just given it an unregistered name?

It's a very nice plant anyway and if you have a spare pup you would like to swap, I'd be interested.

Nothing much doing here today except getting plants ready for posting tomorow so I'll leave you with another pic from our recent show. This time one for the aechmea lovers among you.

All the best, Nev.

Ae fasciata (variegated)

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 17, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8812591

Morning all. Wendy, I only got that plant yesterday. Couldn't resist the differences in it. I've put it up on FB to see if anyone can ID it. Probably just another NOID though. I separated the 3 this morning and this pic shows the mother (red centre) and pups much more clearly. Looks like the mother has recently flowered or is soon going to (I can never tell which).

Karen

This message was edited Sep 17, 2011 4:50 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

perke_patch

September 18, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8813081

Karen the plant I purchased as collisiana many years ago is just like your 3 in the cycle. the pups start out green then start to flush with red until fully grown they are completely red like the pic I posted. Then they flower and as they age the mothers turn back to green and end up with just that deep colour in the centre. It might be a unregistered hybrid because the Hobbs had a bad experience trying to register a sport and the registrar virtually called them lyers because they didn't have a photo of the pup still attached to the mother to prove it was a sport. He would not even take the word of renowned brom growers like Catlans and Grace Goode etc who saw it attached. So after that I doubt if they or several of their fellow brom friends would even try to register plants. J & G C also tell similar tales and don't try to register plants anymore.

Nev I will add this one to your list. I'll try to get it in the post tomorrow but no promises. Not sure what Johnny will be doing from day to day at the moment. If he has a lie down in the afternoon I will get a chance to do something.

I'll leave you with a pic of our hoenbergia stellata red form which is flowering at the moment. we also have pink form which looks the same but paler colour in flower.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 18, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8813613

Good morning all,

Wendy - I had almost settled down after my last little rant to you about the registering of plant name and now you tell me yet another story about one of our then illustrious registrar’s unacceptable decisions. It seems like as soon as you give these people a little bit of authority they do as they like, not what they should, according to the rules; a little power can be very dangerous.

That's why I'll not register any of my hybrids either, even though some are worthy of registration. I can show you pictures of the plants and they will leave my yard only with a number and a formula name so people know what they are getting, any other names I put on them are purely for my own benefit while they are in my collection.

Don’t worry about the plants you’re going to send, Johnny’s more important than them, just send them when you can and drop me a line to say when they’ve been sent.

I still haven’t sorted out all the show pic’s yet so at this stage, I have to be content to send them just a few at a time. Today, 1st, 2nd and 3rd. In the OPEN NEOREGELIA SECTION.

All the best, Nev.

1st Neoregelia Aussie Dream

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 18, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8813615

2nd Neoregelia Fosperior 'Perfection'

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 18, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8813616

3rd Neoregelia Hybrid (Unknown)

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 18, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8813709

Wendy, you are right, it is difficult to ID some plants that are not registered. I got a few answers on FB, every one different, every one looked like my plant. S'OK, I'm smiling. I shall just enjoy the plant for what it is - beautiful. Interesting flower you have there. Its one of the things I love about broms - they often have unusual and interesting flower forms.

I do hope John picks up quickly. We may try to get down for your sale if he's up to it, but depends what's going on with my daughter, who is moving this week. She has had the removalists in, so it will be all setting up this week. Plus its her birthday.

Nev, I love that Neoregelia Fosperior 'Perfection', very nice.

Well, we are off to the Coast today to celebrate my daughter getting older. Have a great day.

Karen

springer99

springer99
Queensland
Australia

September 18, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8813954

Hi everyone, well it's a new week and looks like everyone has been very busy, wow loving all the amazing photos. Nev that photo bucket series of photos was just amazing, wow you have some real stunners, there were quite a few I would love to have, ha ha.
Wendy that Neo Goldilocks is very nice and Nev, that Ae fasciata (variegated) is already one on my wish list, so should you ever come up with a spare pup, I would be interested in buying one off you, it's very nice.
That Neo Perfection from the show is just lovely, I have been able to get a couple of them, but now that that short shape I have been after, all are quite long and "leggy" as I call it. hopefully I'll get a pup off one of them...one day and be able to grow it to the nice short type I'd like... or perhaps I'll manage to buy one somewhere that is what I'd like.
I managed to get a couple of little bargains on the weekend from the market, probably the biggest being a Neo Jaws Too, it is about to flower and obviously hasn't quite had enough sun, but it's a beauty all the same. Also got a couple of little cheap ones, like Vr Komet, Neo Amazing Grace, and another little Vriesea that I thought was a form of guttata, but someone has said they don't think it is, whatever it is, it's cute. Also got an Aechmea orlandiana varieagted nice and cheap too.
I'll add a photo of Neo Jaws Too for now :)
Tash

Thumbnail by springer99

perke_patch

September 19, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8814561

Nev I put together your collection today but couldn't locate a two tone x fairy tale. I know I saw one last week but trying to locate it again is impossible. I'll post off the rest tomorrow and when we come upon the two we didn't have today we'll put it on the spa till we post off to you.

Karen we'll be having a sale this weekend one way or another because we have already put the ads in the papers. We were starting to set up today and a lady turned up to buy some. She was driving past and saw the blackboard out the front. She thought she would call in hoping to get some. She bought what the cash in her purse would allow and said she would be back on the weekend. After going through the plants on the shelves out the front and repricing them (they have grown in nearly 3 months since last sale and they've coloured up too), cleaning them up etc. we do have some very good buys eg full grown gee whizz full of colour for just $15. they were $12 but full grown we had to put them up right????

anyhow time for bed now. Pic is an orthophytum vagans we discovered with some lovely colour.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 19, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8815096

those Neo's are very nice splinter.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 19, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8815218

Wendy, I'll look forward to seeing you then. Daughter's birthday has cleaned me out this pay, but am sure I can come up with enough to get a little "souvenir" or two from you :). Plants here are looking good. Just a couple were knocked about by the cold, one being Vr. Bianca. I think she'll survive but she's a delicate plant for sure. The ones I got from you are all doing well.

Very misty here this morning. Can hardly see across the road and everything is so wet. The tillandsias should like that, I hope.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karen
perke_patch

September 20, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8815934

Hi Karen. I look forward to seeing you this weekend. We have some many large and fully coloured plants that we are going to let them go really cheap. I'd say 80 - 85% of our stuff will be all $8 each. We're letting full grown gee whizz with really lovely colour go for just $15. All these big plants take up so much room and we don't have enough room. I'm sure I will have a little tillandsia for you at least. You'll love the little tillandsia hanger Johnny made for me. It was all my idea he just stepped in and took over to finish it. I would have got there but taken a lot longer to do it. I guess it was frustrating him watching me. This is the pic of it.

Nev I got my pressie today and it was such a surprise. I didn't even know it was coming. Of course when I read it out Johnny grabbed it and took over. He loves tangerine so any cross with that in it he gets so excited about. LOL (he is easily excited these days ... not much to excite him any more hehehe). Your pressie is on the way too. hope you like them.

would you believe we are all set up already for our sale. The tables are all set up and full of plants. Luckily they are light enough that we can pick them up fully loaded and carry them out of the way so the cars can come back in under the carport. And there is still so much coloured stuff in the backyard we could fill the tables all over again. We should have lots of room after this weekend.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

perke_patch

September 20, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8815943

the till hanger is made of the widest gutter guard pulled around and clipped together. I threaded strong wire through the top and bottom and secured in a circle. Then we used a chain for a hanging basket to hang it. It worked better than my imagination and the little half cork mounted tills are now out in the open where I can watch if anyone tries to put one in their pocket. We shall see if they stay safe this weekend.

This time I will temp Karen with this till cotton candy coming into flower. It is taking every so long to actually open though.

wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 20, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8816525

Wendy, the round till hanger is fantastic. You'll have to put an armed guard on it. The tills look wonderful. I have quite a few just finished flowering, one now in flower, and a few more budding up. Very exciting. I do look forward to seeing your plants again. Always something I missed seeing last time.

I think this is T. Bergeri. It was an unmarked plant I got a clump of from the markets some time ago. So I could be wrong.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 22, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8819681

I have my first little til flowering. Hi everyone. Lovely pics. I have a nice lot of new ones coming soon. Will definitely have to put some new shelving somewhere in the SH for them. I got a pine stump taken out yesterday and now have a lovely lot of pine mulch to put in my mix. That will be okay won't it? The tree was taken down about 2 years ago but the stump wasn't removed, now that I'm getting double gates put on the new back fence I needed to get the stump removed so the gates can open. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 22, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8819712

Hi everyone,

Colleen - I personally would leave the mulch to weather for about six months before I used it and even then I would mix it in with the bark I usually use. It's not the best to change a successful mix completely, just little by little. But that's me, being over cautious again.

As I've said previously, I'm not a Tillandsia grower so unfortunately I'm not any help when growers on here ask for help with naming plants. However even though I don't grow them, doesn't mean I don't appreciate them and I've attached a pic of one which caught my eye at our recent show.

All the best, Nev.

Tillandsia tectorum

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 22, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8819742

Colleen, so pretty, that till. I've got a few more in bud, but they seem to be taking a very long time to develop. That's OK. The enjoyment will last longer. That one could be T. neglecta, but Wendy might be able to give a more positive ID. Many look all the same to me with just minor differences. Nev, t. tectorum is a lovely plant, but takes a long time to flower. It is worth the wait as the branched bracts are beautiful.

Wendy, as always, tills interest me more so than the broms, though I'll be looking at both. I've conjured up some cash so am prepared to get one or two good ones.

Karen

springer99

springer99
Queensland
Australia

September 22, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8819850

Hi everyone, how are you all going? Nothing too much going on here, have a few more seeds to sow, meant to do them yesterday but the day got away on me, so today of over the weekend it will be. Had some broms arrive that I ordered for a friend (well half for me and half for her), so I potted them up and gave them over to her yesterday and she was very happy with them. I hate receiving broms that aren't for me and having to pass them on, lol, wish I could just keep them all. I will hopefully have two more of my own arriving today yaaaa.
I was also lucky yesterday to receive a nice Neo off someone in another forum who has been talking to me privately and decided to send me a nice striated Neo ( I think it's a Carolinae type he said) and he assures me it will flower soon and it will produced variegated seedlings. So I really felt honoured that he took the time to talk to me and explain variegates to me it quite a lot of details and then even offered to send me one. I did pay for it, but it was only cheap and he didn't have to offer, so I feel quite happy about that. I have not taken a photo of her, she is only small, but I'll do that today and post the pic later.
Oh I was also so very shocked about my Ae bracteata seeds. We have a big bracteata out the front that has slowly ripening seed on it, so I picked a few berries 10 days ago and washed them. Boy wasn't that a big task, they had what I called a snot all over them and no matter how many times I washed them, the mucus was still like a big blob of goo and just never seemed to wash off. I got most of it off and noticed that when they were swirling around in the container I was using to wash them, that it was like they had little tails already. Anyway I sowed the seed and just left them on my desk. I kept meaning to take them outside and just kept missing them. So grabbed the container yesterday and was completely shocked to see they are over 1cm high in 9 days!!! but have grown like long sprouts, is that normal? So they made it as far as the washing machine... still not outside, something happened and I never made it out the back door with them, doh!!! Will go put them outside now.
Tash

oh here is a photo of a plant I was given the other day, it's a pup off a friend brom that she got, still the tag saying Neo concentrica. But it doesn't look like a concentrica to me, any ideas? it can have quite an irrediscent colour in certain light. Thanks :)

Oh and PS, a big Happy Birthday to Jen, hope you have a great day today :)

This message was edited Sep 23, 2011 9:10 AM

Thumbnail by springer99

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 22, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8820092

Hi everyone,

Tash - Your question about a name for the Neo you posted, I don't think it's Neo. concentrica but I do think it could be a concentrica hybrid.

One of the crosses I did with concentrica produced seedlings of a pale green with very light spotting and an irrediscence you describe, right through to the one pictured. As well as those, quite a few were very similar to the one in your pic.

All the best, Nev.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

September 23, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8821264

Some nice Broms and Till pictures being posted. This is one I have in flower now.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

springer99

springer99
Queensland
Australia

September 23, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8821288

Hi Everyone,

thanks Nev, I will amend it's tag to say Neo concentrica hybrid for now then. I didn't think it looked like a proper concentrica.

I have to say too, I am quite surprised but also sad that a lot of my young Neo's are all coming into flower at the moment. I have quite a few that are no where near full size, yet have flowers coming and I would of much rather them get to their full adult size before flowering. I have a pup from my Neo marmorata that is only about half the size of it's mother, if that, and it too is flowering.
Also our stunning Neo Serendipity Girl that we only got at the beginning of July as a well rooted pup, is also sending up a flower. This is disappointing as full grown she is a stunning brom, but alas she will never get there now. She still looks good, but no where near as nice as they look full size. I don't know why it has happened, a local brom grower thinks maybe the cooler winter for us this year might be what has brought flowering on in some many broms up here.

Well I just hope our special Serendipity Girl produces us some nice pups that might get to fully mature before they flower.

Tash
perke_patch

September 24, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8821665

Hi Tash
We also have half grown vriseas flowering too early. We put it down to the fact that we had a very cold winter and the people over the road used their fireplace more. With the couple weeks of very little breeze we had several days were there would be a layer of smoke settled in under the shadecloth in our back yard each morning. They say that smoke from bushfires cause the broms to reproduce before they get burned to death so we think they got a taste of smoke and started flowering. We have 4 platynemas flowering but they are only about the size of a small to medium neo. they are usually much bigger than that. they better throw some good pups for next generation.

Anyhow so tired tonight after a very hectic day so I'm off to bed soon. might watch the rest of Jurassic Park to wind down.

Wendy
splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 24, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8822343

Good morning everyone,

Marleneann - That's a nice specimen Tilly you have there. Personally I think all brom's look better in a clump even though a lot of exhibition rules state "single plant". I think they're missing out on something as even a common old Billbergia massed in a garden can look good. Don't break your plant up, whatever you do let it grow!

Tash and Wendy - I have read of many different reasons why some brom's flower before they are properly mature, including the reasons you have given, and Wendy, your comment about the smoke is also very true of a lot of Australian native plants in habitat.

Another common belief is based on the time of the year a pup is removed from the mother plant and its size. The commonly accepted rule seems to be, let them get one third to one half the size of the mother (both in width as well as height) before you take them off (preferably in springs time) and never in the colder months. Other growers take them much earlier than this, (usually without roots) before the leaves of the mother "smother" the pup and inhibit its natural shape from forming. Some professional growers take them at a ridiculously small size (in my opinion) so they can get more pups per plant, purely a "production thing"; while still other growers won't take pups until they are almost as large as the mother and have a good root system of their own.

I don't know what the correct answer is and the size a pup should be before its removal from the mother seems to be a personal decision made by each grower. All growers will continue to have different ideas, which gets back to the old tried and tested advice of trying out different things for yourself and seeing what works best for you in your environment.

Personally I find that in my area I am better off leaving pups until the warmer weather starts in spring because if they are taken during the colder months they just seem to sit there and "sulk" and don't grow until the warmer weather starts anyway. It’s during this colder waiting period that rot can often start through the exposed cut where the pup was removed from the mother so that's another reason why I prefer to wait a bit longer. I like my pups to be usually well advanced and with roots before I remove them to grow in my area. If they are going to someone in a warmer area, taking them earlier isn't a problem as the warmer climate in the new area will initiate root growth much quicker. I have a friend who lives in a low lying area about 50km south of me and he removes his pups all the year through without any problems. The difference is that his shade houses are on a five acre block with no trees or building around to block the sunlight and therefore he has ideal light from dawn to dark making for a perfect growing environment.

Just on a final note, it seems that everyone I speak to says that brom's (and Vrieseas in particular) are flowering earlier this year in every collection in our area as well as those of a lot of friends in other states.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to write a book, but Tash, you started the topic!

All the best, Nev.

Another Tillandsia from our recent show

brombirdie
Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8822428

Tash, your questions certainly keep the conversation going. Lovely photos everyone. Check out my latest baby from Nev. I love it and even my nonbrommie husband likes it. I was never really a recurvata fan but Nev has converted me. Can't wait for my seedlings to grow. This is Ae. recurvata 'Rising Sun'.

Thumbnail by brombirdie

springer99

springer99
Queensland
Australia

September 24, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8822578

ha ha ha, yeah blame me, he he he, I am an endless source of questions. Jen I love that Ae. recurvata 'Rising Sun', I too would love to get some of the recurvata's as I have been seeing lots of posting with them and they look so nice, and... will withstand the full sun so I can see them growing in my gardens quite nicely :)

Yeah I have asked a few more questions about this young flowering issue to a lot of growers, from all over the country and everyone seems to be haivng the same issues. I was talking to one of the "big boys" on the phone yesterday, and he said even a heap of their Alc's are all coming into flower as well, and they are only half size and he is quite disappointed about it as he wanted them to get a lot bigger yet. He also said some of his stunning vrieseas are flowering at half their adult size too, and that he's not super happy about that either.
So it would seem it's an Australia wide issue and his comment was ... well he blamed Winter this year, and I know our winter up here is nothing like his winter down south, but ours too was colder and longer than normal, (which we loved up here).

I will have to keep an eye on my big old Red chestnut, as it's not flowering but is well and truly of age and size to be flowering. I heard someone else say... that it seems to be bringing the younger broms into flower, but not the older ones that should be. Very strange.

Wendy I hope your sale is going well this weekend and you aren't too exhausted, wish I was closer, cause i would of come and got some bargains, lol. If you are willing to post, I would love to see what you are selling sometimes, although I know posting things is often a pain in the butt, especially if they are big.

Here is a photo of a nice Alcantarea we saw yesterday at a Port Douglas resort when we went for a drive, hubby just had to make me stop the car so he could go get a photo. And you thought I was the brom obsessed person in my house, lol. The sad thing is... knowing most flash resorts in Port Douglas, they will probably cut the spear off once it starts to look a bit tatty, but if they don't... I'll be keeping a bit of an eye on it to see if it sets seed and then I'll ask them if I can have a few pods. But I really don't think it will make it that far.

Hope you are all having a great Sunday,
Tash

Thumbnail by springer99

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 25, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8823636

Oh, the pics are so lovely to see. That Rising Sun is stunning, and the clump of tillandsias in flower (Wendy might know, are they Neglecta? They look a bit dark for bergeri).

We went to John and Wendy's sale yesterday, and the colour there now is mind blowing. Has to be seen to be believed, and so incredibly beautiful. I got some more wonderful plants and came home very happy with my little haul. I even got a toilet plant, and have placed it in my loo room.

For now, here is a pic of the other plants I got. Tillandsias Capitata (peach form), Tricolor (in bud), and Creation, and a Neo. Shelldance. I am so pleased with them.

Karen

This message was edited Sep 25, 2011 3:21 PM

This message was edited Sep 26, 2011 2:00 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 25, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8823644

And Vr. Flammea looking very smart in my loo room. I love this one too.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 25, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8823969

Hi everyone,

Here is a link to the prize winners in the Open Section of the recent Illawarra Bromeliad Society Show

http://s512.photobucket.com/albums/t329/splinter1804/2011%20Show%20Part%201/?start=all

Sorry, but I haven't got the time to post them one at a time and this is the best I could do.

If you right click on the pic and select "save as" you will see the plant name and the prize awarded.

Enjoy!

All the best, Nev.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 26, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8824287

I do like that AE recuata "rising sun" Lovely must add that one to my wish list. It's already a mile long though. Here's some pics of mine that I took this evening. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 26, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8824288

next Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

perke_patch

September 26, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8824303

Karen, I call those my potty plants. glad you like it and hope it flowers for you. You better clarify that it was till capitata peach that you got as Jen is still waiting for the first capitata yellow pup. I am waiting for it too come to think of it.

I want to share this with you all. My till flabellata gave me 2 lovely big pups ages and ages ago and the plant started to die. It is looking absolutely crap and I nearly threw it out but I gave it one more chance and dosed it with seamungus, topped it with a bit more mix, watered it and hung it in vrisea area where Johnny will water it more. I discovered on the weekend that it has at least 2 more pups coming so don't give up on old mothers. give them a feed and they will reward you with another baby.

Tash I'd be happy to sell you some pups and post them up. I'd have to list all the pups we currently have to take off. Lucky we write down every pup we take off and transfer the info eventually onto a spreadsheet. Initially the reason was to know how many pups each plant produces and how long it takes to mature to pupping stage. BUT we failed to record how many of each type we have producing pups. DOHHHHH. anyhow I can look at each quarter and know that we should have pups somewhere in the yard. the hard part is then finding them. I have tried to pull all the same pups into the same area but the best we have is one area down right side with all or most variegated plants, one area up the back with all striped plants, one area on left with all foliage vriseas and down the side of the house most of the flowering guz and vr. Most tillandsias are now behind the boat shed. Unforturately all the rest are everywhere else LOL. If someone asks for a particular pup we can never find them on the spot so we tell them to come back in a week and hopefully we have found them by then. How does everyone else organise their plants????

pic is a new release hybrid I got from Margaret Patterson at Gympie call cryptanthus marbled green. I took another pic of it today but it doesn't seem to have grown much. must be a slow grower.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 26, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8824319

Wendy My ears just pricked up and my eyes lit, Foliage Vriesea. What and how much? is the question. I've taken a real liking to them. Colleen
splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 26, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8825181

Hi everyone,

Colleen - What's the name of your second Neo in you pic's. It has very nice shape and looks like it will colour up even more yet.

Wendy - I first saw a plant of Til flabellata at our local markets a couple of years ago but when I went to buy it I was beaten to the 'finish line' by an old lady wielding her shopping bag. Anyway, as I knew the seller quite well I asked if he had any more and he told me he did have one scruffy looking one at home which he was using it to hold open his garden gate, but I could have it for nothing if I wanted it as he was a “plant seller” not a grower and had nowhere to grow plants after they finished flowering. To cut a long story short he brought it to the next market and he wasn’t kidding, it was rough looking all right. I took it home and when I went to re-pot it, it just fell apart into six pieces which I potted up in 4” pots, put on the bench among the Vrieseas and forgot about them. When I was looking for something last week I came across them and every one has a flower spike coming.

Below is another (what I think) is an attractive Tillandsia from our show for all of you Tillandsia lovers

All the best, Nev.

Til. fasciculata 'purple'

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 26, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8825212

Hi everyone. Colleen, nice plants. They look so healthy!

Nev, that is a nice till too. It is great to get to the shows and see what's around. I often wonder if some of the tills I see pics of are available in Australia.

Wendy, have edited my post to add the peach to the capitata. Speaking of hidden pups, can you keep in mind that one you had on the table with the beautiful blue flower in the centre. Would love a pup when you can find them. Also I looked at my list of tillandsias, and I have one called Recurvifolia V Subsecundifolia. Is that the name of that orange bract till of yours that I fell in love with? I just remembered the recurve part. I actually can't find the plant I have, but need to get up on the steps and look through the higher ones. Hope I haven't lost it.

Karen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 26, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8825241

Nev, the name on that plant is Neo. Carolinae. Thanks Karen, I haven't got many tills only 3 or 4 but I will get some more down the track. They put on a lovely show don't they? Colleen
splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 26, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8825644

Hi everyone,

Karen - The one pictured is Til. recurvifolia var subsecundifolia

All the best, Nev.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 26, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8826032

Nev, thank you. I wonder if Wendy could get a pic up so we can compare. I just can't tell if it is the same one or not. I have told her to save me a pup when it gets some, but if it is the one I already have then I'll be over the moon. It was so bright and pretty.

Colleen, a till grower once said to me I will need to live a good many long years yet to see the best of my tills in flower. The older they get and the bigger the clump, the better the show. Most of mine are one branch, one flower only. Will take some time to get to see any nice clumps forming. I often end up getting several of one type to try to "cheat" and get a clump sooner.

Karen
perke_patch

September 27, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8826330

Karen, that name is definately the same as mine. here is a pic of tillandsia recurvifolia var subsecundifolia. I agree that a clump of something is certainly more eye catching than a single plant. After seeing the huge clumps of tillandsias up at Cooran I can't wait to see mine form clumps like that. I am starting to get huge clumps of a few of them eg schiediana and hayley's comet but it will take time to get large clumps of some of the others. However now that we are growing some tillandsias from seed I should be able to get some good clumps going although seeds will probably take 5 to 10 years to get a good size. Hope I have that long to see them.

I scored well yesterday when we went to Bunnings. I found a couple of caput-medusae which were almost full size with the curly arms and all and for just $5.99. Makes a change from getting the tiny wee little ones. Collectors Corner must have been out of the little ones and had to pack up their bigger ones. Bout time I scored a good one. I have a caput-medusae coming into flower now so I can't wait to see what it looks like. I have a large tillandsia rodrigueziana flowering and each day I look at all the pollen in it and can't resist using it. So I have put pollen into butzii and bulbosa and when the caput flowers I will put some in there too. Also back the other way too. I know it is like crossing a great dane with a chihauhau (don't know how to spell it but hopefully you get the idea) but I had to put it somewhere and Johnny wouldn't let me touch his foliage vriseas.

Anyhow seeing FB is playing up tonight, I'm off to bed.

Night all
Wendy

perke_patch

September 27, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8826334

sorry pic didn't load. here it is

Thumbnail by perke_patch

perke_patch

September 27, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8826336

and this one is till leonameana. the other orange one you liked.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 27, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8826826

Hi everyone,

I was sorting through some Neo seedlings the other day and dragged out a box of seedlings that had been pushed to the back of the bench when they were fed and re-potted earlier in the year.

I was surprised to find quite a few with the radial red lines of one of the parents, as although that's what I was after, I didn't expect such a high percentage 13 out of 30 plants (2 smaller ones not shown)

All the best, Nev.

The cross was Neo Bea Hanson x Rosea Striata.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 27, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8826870

Wendy, thank you for putting up those images. I am not sure, but I must have got my recurvifolia var subsecundifolia from Nev Ryan. I don't have t.leonameana, so please put that one on my wish list. I can't wait to see your seedlings grown up and clumped together. Will be wonderful.

Nev, I know nothing about seedlings, but so glad that box is working out well for you.

We visited Bunnings at Browns Plains on the weekend, and they had 2 boxes full of tillandsias. Firstly, I had all of them, but even if I'd been tempted to double up on some, the condition of the plants was appalling. Many were dead, others were close to dead and past reviving. It was as if they'd got boxes of old stock just to get rid of it. Other plants from Collectors Corner via Bunnings were in equally shocking condition, such as the variagated ananas they had at $20 each. I don't know if Bunnings are to blame for keeping stock at a warehouse too long, or CC's selling old stock. Either way, a total waste of beautiful plants.

Karen

This message was edited Sep 27, 2011 8:54 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8827191

My aechmea recurvata flower is opening. It looks very pretty.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 27, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8827359

Jean, I see your recurvata has the pink flowers also. More red in the leaves than mine though. Will put mine out in the sun this year and see what happens.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8827381

I thought it didnt have enough red after looking at some photos. It is usually totally green and has lived in the shadehouse for a couple of years. It is now in the greenhouse with more light .
Love the little bright pink flowers peeping out .
Jean.
perke_patch

September 28, 2011
3:14 AM

Post #8827438

Karen. Bunnings at Capalaba are not into the tillandsias and have had the same old dry and dying 4 plants for ages. However Victoria Point Bunnings het new ones all the time. On Monday I got a very mature very healthy caput medusae from there and one almost as mature. It was a new shipment in and very health. I recently found out that Bunnings don't own any of their stock it is all on consignment from the supplier. Bunnings get a commission only for selling their suppliers stock. So I think Collector's Corner would not be happy if their stock is sitting in a warehouse somewhere. I think it is more likely that Bunnings have people in charge of stock they know nothing about and therefore keep it it totally unsuitable places. Capalaba had a load of tillandsias around a corner in a dark section under a shelf once. they were all dead and dying. Next time they were outside where the tray they were in filled up with rain and they didn't like swimming. I believe it is the individual Bunnings at fault.

Sorry about that but I am having a gripe with Bunnings at Capalaba at the moment for not restocking their tillandsias. They have finished their redevelopment now so should be restocking.

Wendy

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 28, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8828085

Wendy, I had wondered if the plants were just left to rot in those plastic containers. They didn't look wet, so maybe they have just dried out. Should be better looked after, not just them but all their plants. Didn't realize they were on consignment, but that just makes it worse that they aren't looked after.

Some of the buds on mine are plumping up, but still no new flowers. New pups on some of the mini broms too. We may get some rain today, I hope.

Karen
splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 28, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8828086

Hi everyone,

Let me just say one thing, “Check the Benches First”

It's not just the Capalaba, it seems to be Bunnings in general. There are four Bunnings stores down here in the Illawarra area, and of these, I regularly visit the two which asre closest to where I live. I’ve noticed that the Neo's and Aechmeas at one of these stores often had lots of dead leaf ends and when I looked more closely I saw they were displayed on a stepped bench made of unpainted CCA treated pine, and it was the copper in the timber that caused the dieback where the plants were packed in tight and the leaves were touching and draped over the timber shelves.

Even worse, last time I visited the other store, I saw quite a good display of “Tillies” all hanging neatly from the underside of some galvanised mesh on a rack bemeath some shelves, and yes you've guessed it, the shelves above were made of unpainted CCA treated pine also. This dripped water containing copper leachings onto the Tillies below each time the plants were watered

Even worse still, when I explained to the horticulturalists at each store, that copper is fatal to brom's and that the CCA treatment used for the timber in the shelves contains copper which leaches out each time the plants are watered and runs onto the plants. At both stores I was looked at as though I had "two heads" and given the same "standard" answer, "Oh well, Bunnings are probably insured against loss anyway"

What about the people who buy these plants and take them home only to see them slowly die from what they think is something they are doing wrong, where do they stand, are they insured against loss also?

To read more about the effects of copper on bromeliads, visit http://www.bromeliad.org.au/news/Ill1007.htm and read the article “USING TIMBER WHICH HAS BEEN TREATED WITH PRODUCTS CONTAINING COPPER”

I feel much better now I’ve had my whinge for the day.

All the best, Nev
splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 28, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8828101

Hi again,

I almost forgot to post a pic of my brom for the day.

All the best, Nev.

Guzmania 'Sunny Time'

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 28, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8828218

Nev, I believe they just don't care. Your theory is probably right, but they don't want to know. Love the "Sunny Time". Very colourful.

Karen

Just a pic of my back area. The wind has blown in lots of leaves and it looks messy, but it isn't landscaped yet anyway.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

perke_patch

September 29, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8828956

Nev love you guz sunny time. what a lovely colour it is.

Thinking of Bunnings the ones here do have shelves of treated sleepers on besser blocks. Sometimes the broms look so bad nobody would buy them. they always wait too long to reduce the price so someone can take them home and try to save them. they are usually so far gone there is no way you could bring them back.

Busy day today starting with cleaning the leaves out of the gutters in case we got some rain (which we did). Then I took my mother-in-law to the doctors then shopping. Home to do washing and hang it out and I know in the morning it will be covered with flying fox poo and will have to be done again LOL. Then it was time to cook tea and clean up. Then I remade the bed with clean sheets and now I really really need to find my bed with crisp clean sheets. Night all.

Pic is my lovely guz which has just flowered for the first time. it is guz moonlight
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

September 29, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8829387

Hi everyone,

Got a nice surprise yesterday when the courier lady knocked on the door with a box for me. I'm scratching my head trying to think who I've ordered or swapped plants with and keep coming up with a blank. So I open the box and it's from a mate who I was corresponding with for quite a while before I lost contact with him during the Queensland floods. I was really worried for his safety as no one had heard of him and we always tend to think the worst in these situations.

Anyway, he's alive and well and sent me a box of mini Neo pups to prove it (26 in all). Gee I wouldn't mind getting a surprise like that every week. So it looks like todays first job is potting mini Neo's.

All the best, Nev.

Here's a pic of my other favourite, Guzmania 'Hilda'

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 29, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8829498

Things are happening in the middles of alot of my broms that haven't before. Might be some flowers to come. Wanted to try growing some brom seeds but do you think i can buy a coco peat block anywhere around here. No. How innoying! Would real peat moss do the same job or would the PH be to acidy?
Gympies delight...

Thumbnail by breeindy

perke_patch

September 30, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8830172

Nev that would be a real surprise getting a parcel you are not expecting. I know the feeling when I open a letter and find a packet of seed I was not aware was on the way. Like xmas early isn't it?

We had a friend turn up early the other morning with a bakers tray of mini neos of his for us to see which ones we didn't have. We got about a dozen from him and sent him away with about 20 that he didn't have. I guess when you have overflowing baskets of minis you don't value them as much as when you have a single plant with maybe 3 or 4 little pups around it.

Guz Hilda is one of Johnny's favourites. He has had them for years and he had it long before I became involved.

Johnny likes using spaghnum for seeds but I just use the coir blocks from Bunnings. He recently did a take away container that was divided into 2 sections. One side he put spaghnum and other coir and sowed vrisea seeds both sides. He now points out to me that the spaghnum side has a lot more shooting plants but I know he probably put more seed in that side right?????

Johnny has a foot like a balloon at the moment and is using his crutches to get around, so he parked himself in a chair this morning in front of the seedling house and started checking all the trays. Oh boy we are going to be stuck for room in a year or so. there is seed shooting everywhere.

Wendy
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

October 2, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8833204

Good morning. Oooh, very quiet in here. Wendy, just think of the great sales you will have.

My bills are sending out new pups and I thought looked worthy of a bit of attention. Very colourful there this morning.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 3, 2011
12:29 AM

Post #8833736

picked this up from my local orchid show. Anyone know its name? thanks!

Thumbnail by breeindy

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 3, 2011
1:34 AM

Post #8833753

We have an October thread now but I don't know how to put the link up. Can someone else do it please? Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 3, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8834583

Here you are Colleen, The broms are here now.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223376/
Jean.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America