Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hostas: Let's see YOUR pictures of hostas beginning with "U & V"

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 38, Views: 246
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8800548

As we get near the end of the alphabet, we get fewer hostas. Let's lump U and V together and see what we get. I have only 3. The first is the old fashioned one that grandma grew and most of us have somewhere. Reliable grower and slug bate near the end of the season - 'Undulata Albomarginata'. I've had mine forever since long before I knew what a hosta was. They will be there forever too since the roots are intertwined with tree roots. This picture taken June 28.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8800559

Another of the 'Undulata' family - 'Undulata Univittata'. This one came labelled, maybe a decade or more ago, as 'Joyce Trott'. I didn't know the difference for years. I divided mine last year, moved it and sold off a lot of it. This photo from June 28.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8800571

'Venus' was new spring 2006. this green hosta gets fairly large, but the best part of it is the humongous double-triple , fragrant white blossoms. This photo is from June 28, but I'll take another today as I seen the huge flowers have finally opened.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8800573

meanwhile, here's one of the bud taken August 27.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8800955

Here's 'Venus' today with lots of flowers. Did I say FRAGRANT?!

Excuse the holes. The slugs and earwigs have had a good year.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8800956

And here is a close-up of one of the flowers.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8801138

This is Victory, I bought this from New Hampshire Hostas this pass July and he is actually in full sun and has not batted an eye!! Great hosta, looking forward to seeing it grow big and I have had no problem with slugs or anything.

Thumbnail by virginiarose

Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8801250

I got my Victory from Naylor Creek three years ago. Mine is in pretty deep shade and seems to be doing fine, too.

Thumbnail by Rose1656

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8801263

Oh, I like yours better Rose! It's so upright and beautiful.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 9, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8801287

The only hostas beginning with U that I have are three Undulatas. I have only one 'Undulata Albomarginata' left. There are a few 'Undulatta Univittata' in this bed with 'Halcyon' and 'June'. A third variety of Undulatta, which has a lot of white in the middle is also in the 'Halcyon' bed. You can see two clumps behind the purple irises. I don't know which Undulata it is but people generally like it and I've given a lot away over the years.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2011 7:28 PM

Thumbnail by irawon

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 9, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8801309

This is my one and only hosta beginning with a "V"... 'Victory'. It cost $36.00, the most I've ever spent on a hosta. I commented to the Steve at RWR that it had two nice big eyes. Well, he said that maybe I should pay double --- ya, right $72.00 bucks--are you kidding? Anyway, I planted it two days ago and have given it a lot of space in my new bed as its supposed to grow to 33" high and 70" wide. Hope mine gets as nice as yours after three years, Rose. Virginia, yours looks really healthy and I'm glad to hear that you've had no problems with slugs. This picture shows the two eyes.

This message was edited Sep 9, 2011 8:49 PM

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 9, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8801318

I don't know why the picture didn't post. 'Victory' with two nice big eyes.

Thumbnail by irawon

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 9, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8801321

This picture of my 'Victory' shows the colour better - a very light green with a white edge.

Thumbnail by irawon

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2011
3:13 AM

Post #8801807

irawon, beautiful 'Victory'! I really love upright hostas, especially the variegated ones. Love your Halcyon bed, what is the upright Hosta to the right in front of the rock? Your June is stunning, by the way.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 10, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8802352

Virginia, if you're referring to the hosta in the foreground to the right of the purple iris, it's 'Gold Standard'. If you are referring to the one to the right of 'Halcyon', I have no idea as to its identity. I've had it for thirty years or more. It's white flowers bloom in August, so it must be one of those August lilies. I know that it's neither 'Aphrodite' nor 'Venus' but I sure would like to get them some day.

BTW, ViolaAnn I meant to tell you that I really like your 'Venus' and its blooms. Is 'Venus' slow growing?

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011 2:12 PM

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8802406

Gee, I thought nobody was posting on this thread and somehow I got unwatched on it.
I like 'Victory' - haven't seen that one before. 'Venus' is a med-large hosta and about average in growth rate. I've had it since 2006 and it's a good-sized plant. Usually isn't bothered too much by slugs like it is this year.

Been gardening all day either at my church or at home and now I'll put up the "W" hostas.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8802556

irawon, Yes I was referring to the upright Hosta to the right of Halcyon. They are all beautiful and I am still looking. June sure is a stunner and I've never heard of univitta but I do love it and sure looks good with the June. Maybe Ann can take a stab at it because I sure would like to know what it is. :)

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8802799

Irene - I think you have names a little bit mixed up - it's UNDULATA Albomarginata rather than Univittata Albomarginata. Undulata is the family name. Someone over on the Hallson list recently worked on updating this Wiki article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosta_%27Undulata%27

[quote]Hostas in the 'Undulata' group include an all-green cultivar, 'Undulata Erromena'; a white-edged cultivar, 'Undulata Albomarginata'; and white-centered (medio-variegated) cultivars that may be grouped according to the amount of white in the leaf. The typical H. 'Undulata' has a wide white center, wider than the green of the margins. Over time (or as a cultivar selection), the white center can narrow to a form classified as H. 'Undulata Univittata'; the displayed picture is more of this type. These four are the only registered Undulata cultivar names.[4] Other names for the white-centered forms include Undulata variegata, Undulata mediopicta, and registered forms such as H. 'Middle Ridge' and 'White Feather'. The expansion of the green margins (narrowing of the center) depends on garden culture. In time, the all-green 'Undulata Erromena' cultivar may appear. As this all-green form is significantly more vigorous than the variegated form, it can quickly overwhelm a planting of 'Undulata'. Division of the fast-growing clumps to remove undesired leaf forms is easily accomplished.[5[/quote]

I'll let you follow the link above if you want to check the references.

virginiarose - I'm a bit confused about which one you are trying to identify.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2011
2:05 AM

Post #8803134

Post #8801287 - 8:31pm.

Ann,
This is the picture and I wanted to know what is the Hosta to the right of the Halcyon in front of the rock, green and upright. Thanks!
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 11, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8804024

ViolaAnn, I've edited my Halcyon bed post. Hope the correction is correct.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 11, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8804046

Virginiarose. That particular hosta grows like a weed. I started with one plant thirty years ago and still have 10 plants scattered around my property after having donated many divisions to my garden club sales. One year I left a division unplanted on the ground and it survived over winter. If you buy a 'Venus', you'll get a similar and superior hosta because of the double flower and the fragrance. I have to cut my plants back again. I would love to give you a piece but unfortunately, you live in the States.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8804060

Sounds like a real winner to me! Let me know if you find out what it is. Ann was having trouble figuring out which plant I was talking about. Do you have a picture of it by it self?? It might take a little time but I think we might be able to figure it out. I certainly will buy a Venus I did have it on my list this past spring but had no luck buying it, don't remember why, probably everyone was out because it is such a nice Hosta and I do remember the double flowers were spectacular. :)
I'm sorry I live in US, but you are very nice, and it's the thought that counts!

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8804292

3 of my many Undulata Erromena that came with the house. Look similar to Royal Standard, but lavender blooms in June. Pic from today.

Thumbnail by Eleven

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8804301

I figured it out, but got fumble fingered this afternoon and accidentally closed the window where I was starting a reply. Since the afternoon's job was dealing with a half-bushel of tomatoes to make oven-roasted sauce before going to orchestra rehearsal this evening, I never got back until now.

I don't have any solid green of that shape and size. Might take a look at the Color Encyclopedia and see if anything jumps out at me as matching the plant, but I'm not much help for now.

Irene - maybe I'm looking at the wrong spot in that picture, but I don't see Undulata (just 1 "t") Albomarginata in the picture you posted. That's the one with the white (albo) margin (marginata). I think the ones with the white centre behind the Iris are just 'Undulata' because the white centre is so wide whereas for 'U. Univittata', the white centre is much narrower. But you'll find those with the wide white centre labelled all sorts of things in nurseries.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8804328

Lots of Undulata Univitatta that came with the house. I have these fully around two large oak trees and as a semicircle for a pine tree bed.

Thumbnail by Eleven

Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

September 12, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8805021

This is my Victory purchased from Naylor Creek in 2008. It was a large single division. It has made amazing growth...9 divisions. It is huge and put up two 6 foot bloom stalks this year. It is so large it is hard to get a good picture...at least 5 feet across.

Thumbnail by Paul2063

Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

September 12, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8805027

Emerging bloom stalk on Victory

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011 8:02 PM

Thumbnail by Paul2063

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 12, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8805173

Paul, I can't wait for mine to get that big.
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8805601

Paul,

Your Victory is beautiful! You're certainly doing something right...we bought them the same year and yours is huge!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8805726

Big and Beautiful Paul, may I ask what is the Hosta on the right??
Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

September 12, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8805893

The hosta to the right of Victory is Pilgrim in a 3 foot high urn which isn't visible.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011 7:58 PM

Thumbnail by Paul2063

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8805946

I'm sorry Paul. SMH, I meant the plant on the left!! WOW, major brain fart!
Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

September 12, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8806070

There is a small plants of Stained Glass and then Lakeside Shore Master.

Thumbnail by Paul2063

Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

September 12, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8806076

Another shot of Lakeside Shore Master

Thumbnail by Paul2063

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2011
3:46 AM

Post #8806303

Thats the one, I knew it was some type of Lakeside because I've seen it before. I'm pretty sure it's on my list but I will make sure. Impressive bloom stalk too! How long have you had it and how big is it?
Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

September 13, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8806323

I've had LSSM about 6 years and it is 3 1/2 feet wide. It and several other hosta including the Victory are planted in a bed where I used to grow tuberous begonias. Each fall, after digging the tubers, I would til in oak leaves and composted manure and compost in the spring before planting out the young begonias which I had started in an east window of the house. The soil there is the best in my yard. Tuberous Begonias are probably my favorite flower and I am currently not growing them because my best bed is full of wonderful hosta.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8806373

Yeah hostas are a good choice, there are so many different varieties how could you ever get tired of them and each year they are bigger and more glorious than before.(hopefully)
Nice size on the LSSM.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8806406

Paul - have you posted those pics of LSSM on the "Lakeside" thread? If not, they would make a good addition to it.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8817841

The mini species hosta venusta. Looks about the same size as when I got it last summer. Grows protected beneath a small wire cage, as the neighborhood squirrels and bunnies can be quite fierce.

Thumbnail by Eleven

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America