Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Fragrant Gardening: How big a pot would I need for English Lavender?

Communities > Forums > Fragrant Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Fragrant GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8800834

How big a pot would I need for English Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia or vera) to grow fairly well?

It would not necessarily have to [u]thrive[/u] and reach maximum size, but flower and live for a few years?

I have heavy clay soil, rain 7-8 months per year, and would rather amend just a few pots to have very fast drainage, instead of a whole raised bed.

Also, my yard is small and I just saw some Lavender in the Oregon desert that was 3-4 feet across! I don't have room for much of that.

Corey

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8805158

I'm in 7A with that horrible clay soil too!! All my lavender are in the ground - although with a townhouse I don't have lots of room. I think it would depend how big you want it to get. I've seen lavender flower in 4" pots. I would probably go with a 3-5 gal size though if you want to go the pot route. That should allow them enough room to get a nice size so you can enjoy their fragrance. Good luck!!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8806131

I think I was carried away by seeing these huge gorgeous Lavenders in the Oregon desert. I'll move them down a notch in my "must-grow" list. Maybe before I get to them I'll move to a drier climate and/or have some soil that drains worth a darn.

But if I get those Lavender urges again, I'll start them in a one-gallon pot and keep my eyes open for a 3 gallon pot.

Corey
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8806859

Come on down to California - not the southern part which is a desert and water is a shortage. Northern CA is good - good soil generally, and close to water sources

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Fragrant Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Are there any easy Gardenias? Heavinscent 56 Jan 25, 2012 8:53 PM
Your most fragrant plants by ranking Heavinscent 201 Aug 28, 2008 11:34 PM
Most Fragrant Petunias... zville123 41 Jul 31, 2014 3:55 PM
Fragrant Iris List violabird 8 Jan 19, 2008 3:38 PM
Michelia alba lovetropics 77 Sep 22, 2008 5:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America