Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Herbs: Drying dill weed

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 10, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8802191

Does anyone here know if there's some special secret to drying dill (the vegetation, not the seeds)? None of my other herbs seem to need much help -- just hang them somewhere darkish. I tried a little of the dill and it doesn't seem to have any flavor left at all.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #8959454

I don't find dried dill from the store to have much flavor either. Maybe dill is like parsley and cilantro. Once dried, not much taste? Which is sad because I can only grow them in the few cooler months here. Hey, I just had an idea that I've read elsewhere on DG! You can preserve them in the freezer by mixing with some olive oil? or water? , blend and put in ice cube trays. I'd have to look for the specifics--if you come across any info, post it! Janet
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #8960128

I have always put the dill fronds between sheets of wax paper to dry for several days- then put it in the oven on warm untill very dry. Then crumble off the stems and store in glass jar. Just make sure it is dead dry or it will mold.
You can freeze whole heads in water if you are going to use it in a wet medium such as pickles but if you are putting dill in salads such as tuna or salmon it will be to wet.
I also make dill and garlic vinegar- air dry the dill and peeled garlic cloves (if you don't like garlic do not use) for several hours, put in jar and fill with white or cider vinegar- I use what I have- then place jar in very warm water till it cools. you need to heat the vinegar to allow flavor to develope but my DH hates house smelling of vinegar if I just heated the vinegar. The longer it sits the stronger the flavor, just make sure the dill is covered with vinegar or remove when the vinegar is strong enough.
I use it with my grandmothers sliced cucumber recipe:
slice cucumbers and an onion- peel if store bought-soak in strong salt water 3-4 hours in the refridgerator, rinse and drain well, then add the vinegar- you do not have to totally cover the cucs (they will be limp) chill till dinner. They will keep for several days.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #8961030

Thanks for sharing! The vinegar sounds great and especially with the cucs. Kind of like refrigerator pickles, but even easier. I'll definitely try that! Also, I've now read several articles about blending up herbs with olive oil and freezing in ice cube trays. I think I'll do that with my cilantro, parsley and dill since they will not grow here in Houston once weather warms up.
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #8961122

I lose my dill and cilantro when it gets hot but not my parsley. Found an herb on the growers exchange call Rau Ram or vietnamese coriander- thought I'd try it- if it grows in vietnam's heat?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 23, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #8979863

I freeze it.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #8979869

Chop it and cook it very slowly for a few minutes in butter. Freeze and use with fish.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 23, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #8979936

I'm lazy, I cut the fronds from the stem with scissors, and throw it in a ziplock. When it's frozen, I smack the bag on the counter, and it shatters. No chopping necessary. Tastes just like fresh; I made dilled green beans last night with dill I froze back in the summer.
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #8980115

Celene, you put your frozen dill with cooked beans but I like it in my tuna or salmon salad. Is it watery when thawed? If it's not that would save me tons of time not having to dry it.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 24, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #8980308

I'll give you, I don't eat tuna or salmon, but I use it in tuna salad frequently, and it doesn't seem any more watery than fresh. I use it in other dishes where I think I'd notice wateriness, like tzatziki, and it's not. Sometimes if the bag has been opened lots of times-by April/May, you'll get a little ice, in that case I just spoon out however much I want onto a paper towel, press it for a second, and then use it normally. It tastes so much better than dried.

I'll see if I can take a photo of the relative wetness of it for you.
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #8980756

thanks for the info- I'm going to try it

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America