Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Electronics: wireless internet signal in my home

Communities > Forums > Electronics
bookmark
Forum: ElectronicsReplies: 9, Views: 145
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8802434

I have a wireless internet setup in my home. I got a new computer. I must have the system key so that my computer can get the wireless signal. How can I get the system key number. Calling ATT customer service is a very frustrating experience. I have tried to speak to a person---no luck.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8802648

I've never heard of a system key but I am assuming it is the network key on your router for encryption security. (Like a password). It would be very hard to talk to an AT&T person on the weekend other than overseas unless they changed their procedures in recent years.

I am going to make some assumptions here:

Your new computer came with wireless built in and it is turned on. You can see your network (access point) but cannot connect to it because it is asking for a network key, correct?

You have a wireless internet setup in your home - which means that you already had a successful WiFi in your home. With a vendor provided modem and a personal purchased wireless router. Who set up the wireless router (you or someone else?) Can you login to the router? If you can then you should be able to see the network key there. If you cannot login to your router then you may have to reset it to factory defaults. Hopefully you will not have to do this since you may lose a bunch of settings.

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8926033

Several years ago I had a Verizon DSL system and it had its fixed security number printed on the serial plate on the bottom of the box. I soon decided to scrap this Verizon system as it was so slow (not FIOS).
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9167597

It is the number on the bottom of the gateway. Calling at&t is very good at helping you with this.
billfinny
Aiken, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9199018

if you are on ATT NETWORK WITH A DSL( A GRAY BOX WITH ATT LOGO ON FRONT WITH LITTLE GREEN LIGHTS ON THE FACE
THERE SHOULD BE A 1/2 INCH WIDE YELLOW LABEL STARTS WITH SSID: 2WireE85 then in bold letters WIRELESS NETWORK KEY: (A 10 DIGIT # IS HERE )
I AGREE ATT GAVE ME MUCH GRIEF WHEN I FIRST SIGNED UP I DONT BELIEVE MY BILLING HAS BEEN STRAIGHTENED OUT YET i WILL TOLLERATE UNTIL IT IS NO LONGER PROFITABLE TO KEEP HOPE THIS HELPS TECHNICAL HELP ON THE PHONE USUALY IS GOOD
GOOD LUCK
billfinny
Aiken, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9199078

HERE AS IN MANY OTHERS GETTING ADJUSTED TO THIS SITE MEANS PAYING ATTENTION TO THE HEADINGS LAST POST MAY NOT NECCESSARLY HAVE ANY THING TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL POST SO I RESPONDED TO A 2011 POST THIS MORNING I RELY ON WHAT THOMAS A EDISON REPLIED (IKNOW WHAT DOESNT WORK) THERE FORE I CAN SAY I AM MAKING PROGRESS
BILL

Thumbnail by billfinny
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9200552

Replying to old posts are really a not problem here. I've seen posts revived that were several years old. I don't think much off anyone will get real testy, but the all caps and no punctuation makes it hard to read. I assume you are posting from a (not so) smart phone.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2012 8:42 PM

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9206822

Doug9345,
I agree about the ALL CAPS, but it ALSO helps if you address your comment to whom it is intended.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9207775

In email etiquette, all caps is equivalent to shouting.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2014
8:15 AM

Post #9750496

With the reality that we are taught caps mean shouting to geeks- let me send lucid assurances to the older generations of aging eyes that caps on teensy weeny antique phones are almost impossible to see and all caps can be read by those of us on smartphones without the benefits of city electronics and computers MUCH more readily. ASSuming we all are equal in the media formats is rather simple.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Electronics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Apple Ipod Nano Gwendalou 5 May 16, 2007 5:22 PM
Need Circuit Help Marth164 2 Oct 17, 2007 2:25 PM
e-S/W CKT help chacha1234 5 Oct 17, 2007 2:18 PM
MP3 advice anastatia 3 Mar 3, 2007 9:35 AM
DISH remote? anastatia 2 May 5, 2007 8:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America