Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cooking: Cuisinart Food Processor

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 15, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8802612

I've found a good price on a 12 cup with all the attachments. Anyone have one? I'm debating if I really need it or just want it. I'm not the type to spend over $100 on small appliances but I know that it is a good name brand. I have a mini chopper but mostly chop by hand. I don't ever make pie dough because it seems tricky without a food processor and my bread maker was mainly used for the dough mixing (not baked in the machine) and it recently died.

There is a 7 cup and a 14 cup but I figured just for me the 12 cup (with the 4 c mini bowl included) would be a happy medium.
Price with shipping and tax is around $180. 10 yr motor warranty and 3 yrs for other stuff. That sound like a good deal?
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8802853

That's exactly the dilemma I had a while back. I bought it. The 12 cup Cuisenart.

I have not used it often, but when I do, it's way worth it. I buff out the CostCo salsa with more jalapeno's, garlic, cilantro...onions, and the food processor made short work of it. I'm not big on gadgets either, and I resist alot, but I'm glad I have it for those big[ger] jobs. But I don't think I paid that much. Have you done a comparison at amazon dot com?

HTH.

This message was edited Sep 10, 2011 6:49 PM
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8831713

I did buy the 12 cup Cuisinart food processor - I have not used it yet, but am wondering if it will also handle the same functions as my hand mixer. My hand mixer died and I don't want to replace it if the Food processor will do the same thing.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8831834

Carolyn, not knowing what you use your hand mixer for, the best advice I have is either go to the Cuisinart web site and see if similar recipes are listed there or a book with food processor techniques and recipes. When I bought my first Cuisinart back in the mid 80's I bought the 1984 edition of Abby Mandel's Cuisinart Classroom (earlier editions didn't have much on whipping egg whites and some other techniques). Some of the Abby Mandel books sell for under a $1 plus shipping on Amazon.
Since I have Kitchen Aid stand mixer my Cuisinart doesn't get quite the workout the first one did, but it's still a favorite tool in the kitchen.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

October 3, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8833933

IMHO, it will not replace a hand mixer. Even so, I have a 12 cup Cuisinart, and it is an absolute work horse, I use it all the time and love it. Easy to clean, powerful, chops things evenly, I love, love, love it. I bought a used Cuisinart, the cheapest base model, about 10 years ago, and wore it out, the motor didn't have enough oomph, and it was at least 15 years old when it died. This has twice the motor, and it was one of the best expenditures ever.

I gave away my hand mixer, I either use my KA or an immersion blender.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8833957

Celene

thank you. Looks like I am into a new mixer...

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

October 3, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8833968

If you're not in a hurry, I can look through my mother's stuff, she had a relatively new KA hand mixer that I will never ever use.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8834037

Celene

I am definitely interested ... please send me a dmail.

Carolyn

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

October 14, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8848746

I forgot about this, I'm sorry. I'm going to rattle through boxes of my mother's kitchen stuff this weekend. If I can find the mixer and the beaters, I'll let you know.
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8853979

I have a cuisinart and I love it. I use it pretty much every time I cook. I also have a KA stand mixer which I love. I would get the cuisinart just for shredding cheese alone but of course it does so much more. I can never figure out how anyone can cook anything without having one!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8855372

Does Cuisinart make a food processor with either a glass or stainless steel bowl?
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8857759

Not that I've ever seen. I would be interested to know if they do!
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8905162

Hello everyone! I'm looking into buying my first food processor, looking at Cuisinarts, but I'm not sure which one to get. I called their customer service line but the rep wasn't able to advise me. I want to make bread, so I know that I need a dough blade . . . but how big of a food processor do I need? Should I go with something as big as 12 cups or would a 7-cup model suffice for something like one loaf of bread? Also, I'll want to process garden veggies. Any thoughts on how I should choose?

Plus, they have an Elite, Prep, and Pro line of products and I'm unclear on the differences in them.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8905184

I just came across this thread... I had never used a FP (just my mini chopper), so I bought a Cuisinart FP on sale about 3 years ago when I was visiting a big city. Brought it home, unpacked it... and misplaced the instructions' video so it sat on the shelf. Finally found the video 2-3 weeks ago, and watched it. I haven't used it much so far, but recently made 2 batches of scones. On the first batch I cut the cold butter in by hand, as I've always done. For the second batch, I used the FP. I'll never cut in butter by hand again as long as I have electricity!

Oh, and I also ground up a chunk of Parmesan that was getting too hard to grate on a microplane! (Not my preference for Parm, but better than throwing it away.)
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8906985

Divided Sky, I would go for the larger Cuisinart, I have an 11 cup (older style) and am hoping to move to the 12 cup with the two bowls. The motor size will make a difference in the power to handle dough, but I don't think the 7 cup would handle the dough for bread really well. Perhaps someone else is familiar with the smaller unit?. I make pasta dough in about 1 pound batches (2 1/2 cups of flour, 3 eggs, a little oil) and I can imagine making much more in a batch. I am currently mostly using my bread machine or kitchen aid mixer for bread dough.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8907533

Thanks for that comment. I read something on Consumer Reports and it seemed also to be saying that the larger models with the more powerful motors are better for bread making.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America