Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Gingers: Question on hedychiums not blooming

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 9, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8803230

i have about l6 hedychiums, most are new this year and I know it will be a couple years before they bloom but I do have 4 out there growing in the ground and only one of them blooms yearly for me. wanted to know why if they die down to the ground every year, why they won't bloom too well. I live in Arkansas and they die down to the ground every winter. but I have one that grows and blooms every season and it's living in the same conditions as the other 3 .

if they die to the ground will they not bloom the next year? I'm just wondering if it's worth it for me to grow hedychiums unless their potted. and even then putting them in the garage, most of the tops do die off them. Even when I had the greenhouse I cut them back because they fell over and didn't look nice but they still bloomed the next year for me when they were in pots.

what's the story on the hedychiums and getting them to bloom?
dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8803235

kathy i am the least expert here but when i was in Ark, mine would die down every winter but they would still increase under ground and yes, bloom more the next year.
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

September 11, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8803622

In nature there are both evergreen and naturally deciduous type of Hedychium. Fortunately many of the evergreen ones adapt well to being forced dormant every winter. The further north you go the later their season starts and the earlier it ends. You may have late season types that just aren't ready to bloom by the time winter comes. It could also be too much shade, lack of fertilizer etc.

Tim Chapman

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8803629

Tim made a very good point. I gathered each of them has their unique requirement. I've two that I planted in the front yard. Some years they both bloomed for me, other, not so much. For instance, this year. The two. 1) 'Eliabeth' bloomed for me, but its partner 2) 'Dr. Moy' didn't. I need to emphasize that both are planted outdoor, in the same condition. Partial SE dappled shade. No fertilizer (my bad). Most of my others that are in pots and being pampered indoor each winter, all have bloomed so far this year. These too received fertilizer on a regular basic. Some had more sun, other has more shade in various corner of the garden.

Also, I've one that is planted out in the garden, in deep shade. Those never has bloomed for me in years. It's time for me to contemplating moving these.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8803640

Well, tim, it could be too much shade and lack of fertilizer I have them in shade for the most part and no fertilizer but once or twice a year. I'll do better in those departments. good to know they adapt well maybe i'll see some blooms from all varieties in a couple years, they certainly multiply well and come back yearly for me, when they do bloom, they fill my whole yard with fragrance.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8805039

Okay, I spoke too soon. I thought 'Dr. Moy' didn't bloom this year. Well the variegated ginger did bloom, only not as big and healthy due to lack of fertilizer (so far according to my observation).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8805715

I bet it smells wonderful too, mine aren't as far along as yours are.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8805860

Hello all, I am here to learn as myuch as I can about Gingers. I live in zone 5 and I have a variegated shell ginger. I t's pretty small and I'm wondering if I have it in the correct type of soil. What's the best soil mix for Gingers? Mine are in peat, perlite, vermiculite and fir bark.I'm als wondering if GGs like to be in snug pots

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8810433

Interesting thread! I have a hardy white ginger (that is the only name I have for it) that I've had for 2 or 3 years. It has really done well. One little sprig is now a big clump and it blooms every year. It's blooming now. It dies back to the ground every year. It's in the sun. I have a variegated one in a pot that I have had for several years. It's in the shade and has never bloomed. Should the variegated ones bloom? Kathy Ann the one you gave me last year (I believe it was last year - could have been 2 years ago). I thought it was going to be a pink one but it did bloom and it was white. It died back to the ground last winter and it's in the shade.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2011
3:22 AM

Post #8810612

That white one is the coronarium white butterfly ginger. my dr moy has blooms on all the stalks all 3 of them lol never multiplies though not sure why, well i say that, but it does have one tiny new sprig coming up. my other gingers multiply well but don't all put off blooms. I got 6 or 7 new gingers this year, i'm going to leave them in the ground this winter, even though some of them have still not come out of the ground yet. I hope they come back for me next spring.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America