Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Native Trees for Fall Color: More fall color for the South.

Communities > Forums > Article: Native Trees for Fall Color
bookmark
Forum: Article: Native Trees for Fall ColorReplies: 6, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

September 12, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8804724

Here is another, but not comprehensive list of trees for fall color in the South.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/natural_resources/leaflets/fl25.html

Sourwood and persimmon are great landscape trees for reds in the fall, and tulip poplar is a majestic tree with distinctive yellow fall leaves for mixing in with other Magnolias--rivaling Gingkos for a source of gold in Autumn Southern landscapes.

I am a transplant myself, my childhood home was the Northern Michigan woods, and come October the colors of fall are what I miss most. Planting a man-made woods designed for fall color is one way to make a house into a home away from home.

Thanks for an inspiring article.
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8805142

Yes, the trees you mention offer great fall color. I'm in the process of doing another article on the same topic. One article doesn't begin to cover the topic sufficiently.

Thanks for the feedback. The northern Michigan woods are, indeed, lovely in the fall. I know you must miss them.
scotjute
Moody, TX

September 12, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8805535

Appreciate the topic, but please expand upon it. Know some Sweetgums have good color. Also White Oaks can have red leaves. Sumac tends to have very dependable red color. Am sure there are others I and others don't always think of.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

September 12, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8806018

My deep appreciation for this article. I am a transplant to the south, as well, and miss the fall color change. I have planted many highbush blueberries. More than we really need for fruit because I like their fall foliage.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

September 13, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8806450

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.types-of-flowers.org/pictures/american_persimmon_tree.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.types-of-flowers.org/american-persimmon.html&h=306&w=300&sz=49&tbnid=OiNuvZquozxsDM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=86&prev=/search?q=american+persimmon+-+image&tbm=isch&tbo=u&zoom=1&q=american persimmon - image&docid=bZ1Fq3VK5GO4HM&sa=X&ei=hVdvTqSjN86htwfd5_jwCQ&ved=0CBoQ9QEwAA&dur=15

(photo - American persimmon - fall color) Some say the native persimmons are not as colorful as the Asian varieties. Ive noticed, tromping through the Southern woods, that they tend to form colonies. One day in late fall, in our landlord's woods just outside of Moundville, I came across a colony of American persimmons--along with a troup of 'possums playing baseball with the under-ripe persimmons! They were having so much fun, and I watched them for more than an hour.

In the Northern woods, Juneberries (amelanchier) form similar colonies, but they are smaller trees and of course their biggest show is in the spring - when you can walk under arbors of white Juneberry blossoms.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2011 7:45 AM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2011
2:21 AM

Post #8814359

I did so injoy your article. I live on 20 acres in the Ozark Natonal Forest. I have all the trees you mentioned(except the tulip poplar) I guard these trees with everything i have. It is one of the last stands of native hardwoods around. Our land is a wonderland of color in most falls.I want to add the dogwoods as they have a beautiful maroon color. And the sweetgum. They have a beautiful salmon pink color.I have sour gum,sweet gum,several kinds of oak,2 kinds of hickory,dogwood,huge blackcherry,persimmon,Huckleberry,Sarvis berry,and a few pine.
Vickie
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8815641

Thanks, Vickie, for your feedback. The trees that you mention must make your property beautiful in the fall. I have another one in the works on the same topic.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Native Trees for Fall Color Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful article! bariolio 1 Sep 12, 2011 10:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America