I have a 'Daniel Deronda' that I'd like to move. It's been in the ground for several years but I didn't pick a very good spot for it and it's never gotten big. What's the best time of year to transplant? And I'm thinking the roots might be entangled with a Hinoki cypress. Will the Clematis roots survive a little abuse as I try to free them?
Best time to transplant Clematis?
Fall is a good time to transplant, but Hec I dug one up with a good amount of dirt one fall and never got it planted till spring. It lived and is going strong.
I was doing that yesterday. I had bought 6 more on clearance. I got 3 done.
Finding homes for 6 Clematis? Now that's a challenge! I know 'DD' is not one of the newer container varieties but wondering if it would do ok in a pot? I don't have a lot of fencing, etc of them to grow up and have to rely on trellises.
I am thinking about trying some in pots. I too am running out of places for them to climb. But at 1.69 each I cant pass them up. I gave my son 3 today to plant in his yard.
I have 3 to put in the ground. The first 2 I bought, and planted, never grew. So, I went and bought the growing potted ones. It has been way too hot to transplant them, and I needed to see where the better spots were. Now, I think I have one. The north side of the garage wall. I will transplant thew peonies there too, once it cools off more. We had 94f here yesterday..and no rain now for a month or more.
Good deal at $1.69.
Just had a thought (thinking of the 50-degree overnight temps that I'd love to push your way, Moxie) - if I plant a clem in a pot, I'd have to give it some protection over the winter. All of my indoor spaces are heated and it'd be too cold outdoors in a pot. If I bring it indoors, it wouldn't get to go dormant but it might help it recover from it's bad siting. Hmm - now I'm indecisive.
$1.69 is an unbelievably good price!
I heeled in many new clematises before we left for vacation and now have to find seven ideal new spots - not easy.
Indecisive, Cindy? I think most of us do that to ourselves on a regular basis.
I still have 2 Columbine to plant, I gave one to my son. I get these great plants at a discount and then I run out of oomph to get them planted...lol Or I cant find a home for them. I think I am addicted to the discount isle.
I made the Clematis move yesterday. Found a spot for it where it will get some sun and will shade my little hobby GH a bit in the summer now that my two big oaks are gone. It's not a big space but hopefully will be just big enough. Luckily the roots came out of the ground pretty much intact but some of the slightly brittle stems suffered. The only amendment I added to the planting hole was worm castings, saving the fertilizer for next spring. I did give it a couple of gallons of water with seaweed extract to help settle it in. I didn't cut it back since most of the green leaves were about 2 1/2 ft up the stems. I'll trim those back later unless they surrender to the move. I guess I could have waited another month or two until the plant was fully dormant and I may kick myself for that later.
Did you pot up the columbine, Marie?
Cindy - the clem may love the new spot since they can spread their roots under the GH and stay nice and cool. We hope you won't end up kicking yourself for any reason at all. It really helps all of us to know how it survives. Better (in my mind) to get it moved now than do it in a rush when it's cold outside. You've given it a good home, a good drink and some good amendments so keep the clematis faith.
I was surprised that after about 10 years in the ground that the roots hadn't developed all that much. Maybe they were somewhat inhibited by the clayey soil and shade. It always bloomed with 6 or 8 flowers although it never got more than 3 or 4 ft tall. I don't know that the roots will grow under the GH since the structure sits on 8" composite timbers. I'll hope that the roots will start expanding more. I did place it between the GH and a Caryopteris 'Sunshine Blue' hoping the latter will give it a bit of ground cooling but maybe not since it's open a bit to the sun from the south but protected from the west. I'll have to remember to report in the spring.
Here I've experienced the same thing when digging up clematises - some have very little roots so I blame myself (of course) for not providing more compost. Others, like Liberation and montana Grandiflora have huge clumps of roots.
Anna Louise was one I clearly recall as having so few roots that it amazed me that it could still bloom but it did die so I have a replacement for it now and will load the soil with compost and manure as well as bone meal and then just hope for the best. It will get the pine needle mulch as well.
I like that shot of purple among all of the white flowers. Speaking of bone meal (and maybe out of thread context) - is it a good source of phosphorus? I've been interested in finding a good phos source without resorting to the chemical phosphorus.
Yes, bone meal is an excellent source of phosphorus and likely the least expensive one.
Will definitely have to get some this week. I've really avoided using extra fertilizers this year in the garden until I have a chance to work out a practical regimen that doesn't use quite so many chemicals.
I did buy some a couple of years ago and yes, things flowered nicely, especially my Hydrangeas. I haven't done much with bone meal except for one-time only use for bulb planting so I'm looking forward to trying it.
I have always failed with clematis, even the sweet autumn which is suppose to be unstoppable...lol. Now I confess the sweet autumn has not died but it's just a small vine that stares at me sadly and has never bloomed in several years I've had it.
I moved it to a new spot last week with more sun and prepped the ground well, including bone meal. I also bought two clematis from bird song farm in wisconsin .... they were too cheap to pass up. I figured one more try and if they don't survive atleast I didn't spend a fortune.
I bought Galore and Crystal Fountain ....
I wish you luck with all the clematises. You might want to add a few inches of mulch for each one.
Let us know how they perform for you next year. Thanks.
Awww - 'Crystal Fountain' has been on my "want" list for a couple of years now. Have you ordered from Bird Song before? Was wondering if you were happy with them.
Well, the above-ground part of my transplanted Clematis has just about died back but it was very sad to begin with. I haven't cut it back because I wasn't sure if that would stimulate growth which probably isn't a good thing right now.
The ones I got for 1.69 are putting out new growth. I guess that is a good sign.
I did lay down a good bit of mulch. The roots on the new plants were really thick and seem very healthy. No I had never bought from BirdSong before, I found them on ebay. All the clematis were on markdown sale for $6.40 so I thought between the price and good feedback why not.
The mulch will be welcomed by the clematis.
You got a great deal, Marie!
Thanks all for reminding me about mulching the transplant. I hadn't done that yet but will do so today after putting down a little bone meal. Didn't have any at the time of transplant.
I got my clematis transplanted ..yay me! I have 3 in the ground, and the baby one still inside. I also put 2 rose bushes between them. I still have space to transplant the 4 peonies, if they survived the summer where they are at now. I know one did.
Good job! I had a pot with one struggling clematis in it but gave it up as hopeless. When I turned the pot over I saw the roots still looked good so I've repotted it and will bring it in for the winter. It's good for clematis lovers to be optimists.
pirl - Will you be allowing your potted Clematis to grow or will you be letting it go dormant?
I'm going to let it grow only to be certain it will grow. If not I may or may not buy it again.
It's just "iffy" in my mind. I'd be thrilled if it grows but if not I won't be broken hearted.
I'd have thought I'd see some green growth by now but there's nothing but the pot and the buried plant. As soon as I spot green I'll post.
Just a quick note. My transplanted 'DD' is sending up new shoots from the base but no leafing out on the older stems. I'll wait a bit before trimming those back just in case there are any dormant buds lurking. At least I didn't kill the poor thing.
Glad to hear you didn't kill it. Yesterday I was examining Pink Champagne and ready to cut the top off when I looked very closely and spotted what appears to be leaf buds so it will get another week before I consider trimming it more. It's not huge so I'm not worried.
Still no growth from the potted clematis, Josephine, that has been in the indoor greenhouse (which I love) since October...not even a tiny sprout. I'll put it outside and see what happens.
Due to the mild winter and extremely warm temps lately I have some up about a foot already. Don't remember offhand which cultivar though.
I'm stunned at the size of the long established clem's. Liberation's new leaf buds extend to the top of it - 6' tall.
The newer ones aren't as eager to grow as I had hoped they'd be...yet.
6' already??? 'Jackmanii' is ready to climb after I trimmed it a month ago but those shoots are from an older stem and not from the ground.
How much should you pinch back now and what if it is leafing out on a old wood.
I have never pinched back before so this idea is new to me.
I have some that look like they want to put out buds.