Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Clematis: Best time to transplant Clematis?

Communities > Forums > Clematis
bookmark
Forum: ClematisReplies: 44, Views: 316
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 12, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8805472

I have a 'Daniel Deronda' that I'd like to move. It's been in the ground for several years but I didn't pick a very good spot for it and it's never gotten big. What's the best time of year to transplant? And I'm thinking the roots might be entangled with a Hinoki cypress. Will the Clematis roots survive a little abuse as I try to free them?
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8807256

Fall is a good time to transplant, but Hec I dug one up with a good amount of dirt one fall and never got it planted till spring. It lived and is going strong.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 13, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8807423

Thanks for the info. Now I just have to find a place for it.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8807595

I was doing that yesterday. I had bought 6 more on clearance. I got 3 done.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 14, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8807919

Finding homes for 6 Clematis? Now that's a challenge! I know 'DD' is not one of the newer container varieties but wondering if it would do ok in a pot? I don't have a lot of fencing, etc of them to grow up and have to rely on trellises.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8808651

I am thinking about trying some in pots. I too am running out of places for them to climb. But at 1.69 each I cant pass them up. I gave my son 3 today to plant in his yard.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2011
3:33 AM

Post #8809107

I have 3 to put in the ground. The first 2 I bought, and planted, never grew. So, I went and bought the growing potted ones. It has been way too hot to transplant them, and I needed to see where the better spots were. Now, I think I have one. The north side of the garage wall. I will transplant thew peonies there too, once it cools off more. We had 94f here yesterday..and no rain now for a month or more.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 15, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8809360

Good deal at $1.69.
Just had a thought (thinking of the 50-degree overnight temps that I'd love to push your way, Moxie) - if I plant a clem in a pot, I'd have to give it some protection over the winter. All of my indoor spaces are heated and it'd be too cold outdoors in a pot. If I bring it indoors, it wouldn't get to go dormant but it might help it recover from it's bad siting. Hmm - now I'm indecisive.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8812675

$1.69 is an unbelievably good price!

I heeled in many new clematises before we left for vacation and now have to find seven ideal new spots - not easy.

Indecisive, Cindy? I think most of us do that to ourselves on a regular basis.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8813165

I still have 2 Columbine to plant, I gave one to my son. I get these great plants at a discount and then I run out of oomph to get them planted...lol Or I cant find a home for them. I think I am addicted to the discount isle.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 18, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8813297

I made the Clematis move yesterday. Found a spot for it where it will get some sun and will shade my little hobby GH a bit in the summer now that my two big oaks are gone. It's not a big space but hopefully will be just big enough. Luckily the roots came out of the ground pretty much intact but some of the slightly brittle stems suffered. The only amendment I added to the planting hole was worm castings, saving the fertilizer for next spring. I did give it a couple of gallons of water with seaweed extract to help settle it in. I didn't cut it back since most of the green leaves were about 2 1/2 ft up the stems. I'll trim those back later unless they surrender to the move. I guess I could have waited another month or two until the plant was fully dormant and I may kick myself for that later.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8813305

Did you pot up the columbine, Marie?

Cindy - the clem may love the new spot since they can spread their roots under the GH and stay nice and cool. We hope you won't end up kicking yourself for any reason at all. It really helps all of us to know how it survives. Better (in my mind) to get it moved now than do it in a rush when it's cold outside. You've given it a good home, a good drink and some good amendments so keep the clematis faith.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 18, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8813338

I was surprised that after about 10 years in the ground that the roots hadn't developed all that much. Maybe they were somewhat inhibited by the clayey soil and shade. It always bloomed with 6 or 8 flowers although it never got more than 3 or 4 ft tall. I don't know that the roots will grow under the GH since the structure sits on 8" composite timbers. I'll hope that the roots will start expanding more. I did place it between the GH and a Caryopteris 'Sunshine Blue' hoping the latter will give it a bit of ground cooling but maybe not since it's open a bit to the sun from the south but protected from the west. I'll have to remember to report in the spring.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8813353

Here I've experienced the same thing when digging up clematises - some have very little roots so I blame myself (of course) for not providing more compost. Others, like Liberation and montana Grandiflora have huge clumps of roots.

Anna Louise was one I clearly recall as having so few roots that it amazed me that it could still bloom but it did die so I have a replacement for it now and will load the soil with compost and manure as well as bone meal and then just hope for the best. It will get the pine needle mulch as well.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 18, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8813359

I like that shot of purple among all of the white flowers. Speaking of bone meal (and maybe out of thread context) - is it a good source of phosphorus? I've been interested in finding a good phos source without resorting to the chemical phosphorus.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8813374

Yes, bone meal is an excellent source of phosphorus and likely the least expensive one.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 18, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8813379

Will definitely have to get some this week. I've really avoided using extra fertilizers this year in the garden until I have a chance to work out a practical regimen that doesn't use quite so many chemicals.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8813390

My last purchase of Triple Phosphate was so expensive (October 2009) that in the future it will be bone meal for me.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 18, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8813593

I did buy some a couple of years ago and yes, things flowered nicely, especially my Hydrangeas. I haven't done much with bone meal except for one-time only use for bulb planting so I'm looking forward to trying it.
jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8835320

I have always failed with clematis, even the sweet autumn which is suppose to be unstoppable...lol. Now I confess the sweet autumn has not died but it's just a small vine that stares at me sadly and has never bloomed in several years I've had it.

I moved it to a new spot last week with more sun and prepped the ground well, including bone meal. I also bought two clematis from bird song farm in wisconsin ... they were too cheap to pass up. I figured one more try and if they don't survive atleast I didn't spend a fortune.

I bought Galore and Crystal Fountain ...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8835421

I wish you luck with all the clematises. You might want to add a few inches of mulch for each one.

Let us know how they perform for you next year. Thanks.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 4, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8835955

Awww - 'Crystal Fountain' has been on my "want" list for a couple of years now. Have you ordered from Bird Song before? Was wondering if you were happy with them.
Well, the above-ground part of my transplanted Clematis has just about died back but it was very sad to begin with. I haven't cut it back because I wasn't sure if that would stimulate growth which probably isn't a good thing right now.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8836014

The ones I got for 1.69 are putting out new growth. I guess that is a good sign.
jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8836221

I did lay down a good bit of mulch. The roots on the new plants were really thick and seem very healthy. No I had never bought from BirdSong before, I found them on ebay. All the clematis were on markdown sale for $6.40 so I thought between the price and good feedback why not.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8836357

The mulch will be welcomed by the clematis.

You got a great deal, Marie!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 5, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8836899

Thanks all for reminding me about mulching the transplant. I hadn't done that yet but will do so today after putting down a little bone meal. Didn't have any at the time of transplant.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2011
3:34 AM

Post #8839204

I got my clematis transplanted ..yay me! I have 3 in the ground, and the baby one still inside. I also put 2 rose bushes between them. I still have space to transplant the 4 peonies, if they survived the summer where they are at now. I know one did.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2011
4:59 AM

Post #8839252

Good job! I had a pot with one struggling clematis in it but gave it up as hopeless. When I turned the pot over I saw the roots still looked good so I've repotted it and will bring it in for the winter. It's good for clematis lovers to be optimists.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 7, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8839872

pirl - Will you be allowing your potted Clematis to grow or will you be letting it go dormant?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8839880

I'm going to let it grow only to be certain it will grow. If not I may or may not buy it again.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 7, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8839882

Good luck with your Clem! I'm sure you'll be successful with it.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8839923

It's just "iffy" in my mind. I'd be thrilled if it grows but if not I won't be broken hearted.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 8, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8840597

I wonder if the non-seasonal biomass will help the plant get stronger?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8840658

I'd have thought I'd see some green growth by now but there's nothing but the pot and the buried plant. As soon as I spot green I'll post.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 20, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9050025

Just a quick note. My transplanted 'DD' is sending up new shoots from the base but no leafing out on the older stems. I'll wait a bit before trimming those back just in case there are any dormant buds lurking. At least I didn't kill the poor thing.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9050103

Glad to hear you didn't kill it. Yesterday I was examining Pink Champagne and ready to cut the top off when I looked very closely and spotted what appears to be leaf buds so it will get another week before I consider trimming it more. It's not huge so I'm not worried.

Still no growth from the potted clematis, Josephine, that has been in the indoor greenhouse (which I love) since October...not even a tiny sprout. I'll put it outside and see what happens.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9050109

Due to the mild winter and extremely warm temps lately I have some up about a foot already. Don't remember offhand which cultivar though.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9050121

I'm stunned at the size of the long established clem's. Liberation's new leaf buds extend to the top of it - 6' tall.

The newer ones aren't as eager to grow as I had hoped they'd be...yet.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 20, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9050379

6' already??? 'Jackmanii' is ready to climb after I trimmed it a month ago but those shoots are from an older stem and not from the ground.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9050574

How much should you pinch back now and what if it is leafing out on a old wood.

I have never pinched back before so this idea is new to me.

I have some that look like they want to put out buds.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9050620

Cindy - it's not 6' of new growth! Sorry about that. It's 6' of stems with tons of leaf buds on all stems.

Marie - you really only need to prune AFTER bloom but feel free to remove dead ends but check carefully that they're really did and don't have leaf buds at their earliest stages.

I'm guessing they are just leaf buds since there's about a month or more between leafing out and blooming.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9051153

Well I discovered yesterday something I did not know. Clematis will spread/sucker. I found several baby plants out in my pathway in one of my beds. They were about 3 feet away from the mother plant. Free plants to transplant. Sweet!

Doug
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9051213

Yes! That makes them so ideal for layering when the branches lay on the ground. Yours have done it without having you lift a finger. I have one that has rooted itself in probably 100 places. Haven't tackled that one yet! It's Helsingborg.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 21, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9051245

Thanks for sharing that discovery. I get into such a mind-set about cuttings that I forget about the easier method of layering.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9051282

I'll check my layerings today. Thanks for the reminder!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Clematis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vine fence barrykooda 48 Sep 4, 2009 1:59 PM
Nelly Moser up a crabapple hczone6 11 Mar 29, 2008 3:43 AM
clematis in a pot? anastatia 17 Nov 19, 2010 8:13 AM
Clematis Gardennuttz 7 May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
What are some of your best Clematis? bluegrassmom 69 Dec 28, 2009 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America