Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Indoor Gardening and Houseplants: Growing Perrenials Indoors

Communities > Forums > Indoor Gardening and Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Indoor Gardening and HouseplantsReplies: 3, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LJWalker
Lancaster, PA

September 12, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8806047

I just got two plants and want to ensure that I have them survive until Spring. If I plant one out and reserve one to keep inside, are there any special considerations for growing a perrenial in a pot? The plants, in this case, are Lady's Mantle.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8806965

If you want them to survive until spring - plant them now, or over-winter them in their current containers in an unheated garage on the floor, throwing a little snow on them from time to time to ensure the soil doesn't go completely dry. Trying to over-winter at temperatures above 42* is a decidedly bad idea and will reduce the likelihood of survival to something less than 10% and pretty much ensure that any surviving plants will grow poorly in the subsequent growth period. They NEED a cold rest. Mother Nature knows best.

Al
LJWalker
Lancaster, PA

September 20, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8816277

Thanks, Al. I thought yours was the most likely answer. Just didn't want to believe it!
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8816639

I often have customers ask about keeping perennials indoors during our winter months. My usual response is to say that they would be happier living outdoors, unless it's something from a warmer growing zone.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Indoor Gardening and Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
anyone know how to root norwalk pines?? tom1953 4 Jun 14, 2010 5:43 PM
Ant's in my Plants! millertime71 9 Aug 26, 2009 6:53 PM
Houseplant Photos jdee 31 Apr 5, 2013 5:45 AM
Variegated Begonia Semperflorens mkjones 9 Jul 26, 2007 5:39 PM
A couple of silly questions... danak 9 Jun 18, 2012 6:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America