AuthorContent

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8806532

Forgive me if I posted this before. I have had a few bad days because I lost my constant companion Barney, my 14 year old Jack Russell. I was about to post some things last Friday when this all came about and I can not for the life of me remember if and where I posted it.

I was so excited to see flowers on these little ones that I could not resist taking their picture. The stock plant has never bloomed and I have been selling these, praying they would bloom ...thank God, they did. You just never know in this business.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8806795

Congratulations on the "first" bloom! It must be a relief to finally see what they look like.
I'm sorry for your loss; it's never easy to lose them.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8806874

That is so sweet of you, thank you for your kind words. Barney was very special. His picture is on my website if you would like to see him. www.Jbsbirdsandmore.com

Believe me, I was not sure I was ever going to see the color of these begonias. It does not surprise me they are pink. Is it my imagination or are there many many pink begonias? I had a white and an orange but I am not sure what happened to them. The pink seem to survive the longest.

Thumbnail by JBerger

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8806962

I believe most canes are pink or shades of pink and white. Orange, red, and pure white are not as prevalent but certainly welcome sights.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8924280

hcmcdole,
What's the name of the pink & white with dark spotted leaves? Very nice indeed!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8924745

HC that is an absolute beauty. I find mine get scraggly and do not stay full and bunchy. I need to work on keeping them cut back so they grow fuller on the bottom I guess. Any suggestions?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8927433

Flicker, I don't know the name of that one. I bought it locally and have never found a name for it.

JBerger, you can do a few things to get fuller cane begonias - start by cutting back the scraggly ones to force new growth from the roots, propagate the tops and add them back to the orginal pot. (Check Brad's Begonia site for his tips) The other method is to pinch the growing tips out of the top (when you decide it is tall enough) - supposedly this will force the side buds to grow. Continue pinching through the growing season. This is how the best cane grower (The Pridgens) get all the top awards at the national conventions.

Here is just one of their fabulous canes at the West Palm Beach Convention. This is B. 'Lucerna'

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8927438

Whoops that was the wrong picture. I think that was Lana in the front and the one behind it was maculata (both of those are the Pridgens too).

Here is 'Lucerna'

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2011
4:19 AM

Post #8927440

Here is one more - B. salicifolia (again by the Pridgens). These were all for sale too. This one was offered for $100.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2011
4:24 AM

Post #8927443

One of my favorites - 'Miniperba'

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8927465

They are just so massive and elegant. I am so bad when it comes to keeping them in good shape and so beautiful Maybe it is because I keep cutting them for staters. LOL Thanks for sharing those pics. They are great,.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8927621

Here is one my mother grew from some cuttings I gave her. Mine has never looked this good.

B. 'Irene Nuss' (about five feet tall at the time the picture was taken).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8930983

Wow, Beautiful!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America