Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Recipes: Thickening fruit jelly

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 13, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 13, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8807220

Hiya

I made a batch of High Bush Cranberry jelly .. UGggggggggggg .. it isn't setting !! I followed the recipe to a 'T' ..

Any suggestions ?

~M~

PS .. the pic is not the jelly I made ^_^

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wannadanc
Olympia, WA

September 15, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8809836

It has been 100 years since I have made jelly/jam - so the only thing I know to ask is that your recipe included pectin - Certo, for example?
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

September 15, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8809847

My MIL used to float lemon slices in the juice the night before she made it into jelly. She said it was to help it set up, but I don't know if that is fact or an old wives tale.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 15, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8809949

Thanks Joan and wanna ^_^

It is true Lemon helps make the pectin in the fruit 'work' .. I found out my problem was that I had OVER ripe cranberries !! If berries are OVER ripe they tend to take longer to process .. I did RE do the batch .. added lemon/sugar and certo .. but .. it only helped a bit .. I now have 8 jars of 'cranberry syrup'. I am going to try and bake with it somehow ..

Again ..

Thanks so much

~M~
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

September 15, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8809952

Use it on pancakes or ice cream!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8810017

Or trifle. I use failed fruit experiments to pour over the cake part of the trifle, then layer the custard, repeat cake, fruit and custard and then top with fresh whipped cream.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8810655

Next time, use Pomona's Pectin. It seems more expensive per box than Certo or Sure-Jell, but one box does 3-4 batches. It works by a calcium water addition (the calcium powder is a separate package in the box) and will jell with far less sugar... or even no sugar. I swear I think it would jell water

http://www.pomonapectin.com/

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 16, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8810692

You've all given me lots of great ideas ^_^

I'm sure I'll be able to use the 'stuff' on chicken, ribs etc (not chicken ribs though) LoL I think it'd be OK .. perhaps even in turkey dressing .. there's lotsa sugar in it, but, High Bush Cranberries (even with sugar) are a tart berry ..
I have 4 cups left and plan to make juice concentrate from it .. now THAT is tart !!! Have to add soda water and sugar (sweetener) and brace yourself when you have a shot of it, BUT, great for the old bladder :-)

Darius .. haven't seen Pomona's Pectin here in Canada, will have to look .. usually just Certo ot Bernardin .. I THINK I may have seen Sure-Jell.

32F here this morning, the frost is REALLY on the pumpkins !!!

~M~
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

September 16, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8810742

As I went about my business yesterday, I remembered a line from my own 4-H demonstration (60 years ago!!!) wherein I extolled the high pectin content of cranberries!!!! Though I never worked with fresh cranberries where that was an issue, it certainly makes sense to my pickled brain that being "too ripe" would be significant.

SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8810758

Would make great syrup on waffles, cakes, pancakes, ice cream, etc.

You can also use tapioca to thicken it up or add enough to make it over into a desert.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8810996

MarilynneS, you can order Pomona's from the website link above... or check a natural foods store. Mainline grocers are not likely to carry it.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 16, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8811004

Wannadanc .. what happened was .. I made the first 8 jars from fresh picked cranberries that had JUST started to ripen .. mashing them before cooking them was some tough .. but .. the end product was awesome .. from 8 cups of cranberries, I got 7 jars of beautiful claret coloured clear jelly ..
I had eight cups left and I let them sit, sometimes in the sun, on the kitchen table for 4 days .. so .. when I went to mash the next 8 cups prior to cooking .. WELL .. my ceramic backsplash sure got a good cleaning LoL .. the berries were poppin and splashing juice. I thought, WOW, these babies are going to make UBER awesome jelly ... pffffftttttttttttt
Seems the longer we sit .. and the older we get .. we berries get 'pectin lazy' .. lesson learned, and, I refuse to let it go to waste ..
In fact, I may make pancakes this Sunday and put out one of the jars for syrup .. it tastes wonderful ... as only cranberries can ..

Susan .. the tapioca suggestion will work I hope .. was looking forward to making cranberry loaf or muffins ..

Quite the experience is all I can say .. not all bad either .. look at the wonderful folks who tried to help me out ^_^ can't beat that !!

~M~
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8811122

Some of my best syrups have been a failed batch of jam. :-)

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8811236

ditto

I think we were colder than you last night, Marilynne. yuck!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America