-
AuthorContent
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8807347

Heheh, Rug hooking, that is. What would my dear Mother say. I love rug hooking. It is very close to punch needle work but in a bigger form. I am working on doing a picture of my Sweet William Wallace.
Here is a picture of how it is coming along so far. I got so in to it last night that before I knew it, it was 1 in the morning. Whew, I do get involved don't I.
I am really enjoying it as the pattern was of my own sweet Wallace and I feel like I am giving him life again. It will be a wall hanging when it is done.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8807360

This is the full picture that I am working on.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 13, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8807525

Awww! How sweet, excellent job ♥

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8807835

Beautiful Jan - Is there any needlework that you are NOT into??? I'm in awe!!! What are you using for yarn in that picture?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8807889

A "few" years back, during my 1st tour in Korea, I used to sit on a huge boulder in front of the barracks and hook rugs so you can guess what nickname I was given.
Of course, all the local girls, that worked in the bars in the "Ville, were also known as "hookers".
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8807931

Heheh, yea, Qwilter, I have a little chuckle at myself too.
Barb, It is a combination, homespun yarn and wool strips cut from 100% wool fabric. I wish I had more white or cream wool but I am making do. I sort of feel like I am cheating in the rug hookers world but hey, I'm a beginner hooker. We all have to start somewhere.
The last two projects I hooked were an all yarn Rooster and an all wool scarecrow and crow. So actually this is my third piece. I am enjoying this one the most so far, as It is a subject matter that I am really close to. It is a good therapy project to help in my loss of Sweet Wallace. Wallace will be a wall hanging vs the pillows that the last two are. I also have some hooked corn on the cob in the works along with an angel of James Christensen.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8807935

Wish I had known you needed cream wool yarn. I recently donated a doz skeins I know I'd never use.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8808255

Heheh, thanks but its not yarn I need but wool fabric that I can cut my wool strips from. I have the yarn but I am only using that because I don't have the fabric. Most rug hooking is done with 100% wool fabric cut into different size strips and pulled through the backing fabric. Now, if you have any old skirts or cream colored wool fabric I would be happy to take it off your hands. ehehe.
Thank anyways.
Jan
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2011
3:12 AM

Post #8809098

DArn - I also got rid of 5 yds of beige wool fabric
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8809397

Oh DANG IT ! ! ! That was exactly what I needed. Can you get it back??? heheheh
OMG 5 yards, no way. I am always a day late and a dollar short. LOL
Jan

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8809453

Jan, I live about 45 minutes away from the Dorr Woolen Mills here in NH. When my Mom did her rug hooking, that is where she bought her wool. I don't know if they still sell any retail or not but I can find out for you. I can attest to it's quality...
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8809574

Barb, I just went online and found Dorr.
http://www.dorrmillstore.com
Thanks for the heads up . I will have to do some shopping on payday. heheh
This is not one of the less inexpensive craft or needlework projects I have gotten myself into.
I may just have to go back to punch needle Its less expensive.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8824810

This is one of my newest projects that I am working on for a friend. It is a witches hat and I added the date of the Salem witch trials off to the side of the hat.
This is a WIP and I hope to have it done by the end of this week.
My friend collects witches hats and is big into Halloween so this will be for her to add to her collection.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8824812

Once again I am having to use yarn as my background as I don't have enough cream or light colored wool yet. Working on that.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

September 26, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8824828

Those are great I have done some punch needle and I love it. Happy Hooking

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8825111

Looking good Jan. We will need a finished picture too!!! Your friend will be thrilled...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8842394

HOw is it going Jan? I haven't seen a pic in a while!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2011
10:51 PM

Post #8842881

Just about done. I pulled out the yarn and got hold of some great lighter colored wool. Much better I think. The right side looks crooked in the picture but its just folded back. It is just like the other side.

This message was edited Oct 9, 2011 10:53 PM

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8843150

I found my Dad's old rug hook in a box I unpacked the other day...
He decided to do it one winter when he was @80. Then he used the rugs in the basement.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8843209

Jan, that is coming along nicely!

Sounds like we have another rug hooker among us?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8843449

VERY cool!!! I really like that... I do not need another hobby... I do NOT need another hobby...
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8843511

LOL Hysterically psychw2.
I said the very same thing when I first saw the rug hooking pieces. My only saving grace is that it is so expensive and I won't be able to do very many of them. I did invest in a good supply of wool strips though so when those are gone I will go back to my less expensive hobbies. I love doing the penny rugs and wool felt is a lot less expensive then just buying 100% wool fabric.
And I love doing my punch needle which is sort of spendy but I can get around it easier.
Boy, the wind is just howling outside and of course its on trash day when all the trash cans are put out to be emptied. I venture to guess there will probably be some tumbling cans once they are emptied or trash blowing if they are full enough to weight them down.
I love the sound of the wind so long as it isn't too heavy. Its raining too so it is pelting it against the window. Good day for crafting.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America