AuthorContent

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2011
3:30 AM

Post #8807713

Has anyone had any luck winter sowing Coneflowers? Do they come true from seed?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8808658

I've done a few... do they come true? that I dont know, all of my are various shades of pinks.
I have a few that will bloom next year,, I'm hoping they come true as I have some yellows.

I think the hybrids do not come true... but I can not attest to that.

I usually have pretty decent germination -- those this past spring, i had a few, that i really wanted, did not germinate --

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8808723

Well, seems like some of them should, maybe not all. I hope your yellows come out nice, the only yellow I have is Maui Sunshine and I'm pretty sure it's dead :(

I bought a lot of seeds off eBay last year and threw them all away because I was told they do not come true from seed. I felt ripped off but maybe I could have gotten a few pretty ones. They might not be true to parent but they can still be pretty right?

I was thinking about winter sowing a few this winter, it's not that much trouble and I could end up with some sprouts in the spring. Wish me luck!
roserairie
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8870834

I wintersowed Pow Pow and had good results. Only problem is I went out of town and when I returned, they were dead. I'm going to do it again this year. I got the seeds from swallowtail but they are not being offered this year. I will try some of the other varieties.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8871646

That's good, Pow Wow does come true, from what I've heard. Those are the only seeds I saved. Wish me luck! Oh, It would be worth it to buy a plant, because you could end up with 50 seeds every year. Share them with your friends. I do not know how many seeds I have but I will count them. I am sure there are enough to share.
roserairie
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8873296

I found a few seeds left over and noticed they are being offered at Swallowtail. Good to know they come true to seed because if I can be successful this time around, I can share them too.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8873719

Good point roserairie, keep me posted and I will do the same.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America