Winter sown Coneflowers

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Has anyone had any luck winter sowing Coneflowers? Do they come true from seed?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I've done a few... do they come true? that I dont know, all of my are various shades of pinks.
I have a few that will bloom next year,, I'm hoping they come true as I have some yellows.

I think the hybrids do not come true... but I can not attest to that.

I usually have pretty decent germination -- those this past spring, i had a few, that i really wanted, did not germinate --

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Well, seems like some of them should, maybe not all. I hope your yellows come out nice, the only yellow I have is Maui Sunshine and I'm pretty sure it's dead :(

I bought a lot of seeds off eBay last year and threw them all away because I was told they do not come true from seed. I felt ripped off but maybe I could have gotten a few pretty ones. They might not be true to parent but they can still be pretty right?

I was thinking about winter sowing a few this winter, it's not that much trouble and I could end up with some sprouts in the spring. Wish me luck!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I wintersowed Pow Pow and had good results. Only problem is I went out of town and when I returned, they were dead. I'm going to do it again this year. I got the seeds from swallowtail but they are not being offered this year. I will try some of the other varieties.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

That's good, Pow Wow does come true, from what I've heard. Those are the only seeds I saved. Wish me luck! Oh, It would be worth it to buy a plant, because you could end up with 50 seeds every year. Share them with your friends. I do not know how many seeds I have but I will count them. I am sure there are enough to share.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I found a few seeds left over and noticed they are being offered at Swallowtail. Good to know they come true to seed because if I can be successful this time around, I can share them too.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Good point roserairie, keep me posted and I will do the same.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.