Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Winter Sowing: Winter sown Coneflowers

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 6, Views: 155
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2011
3:30 AM

Post #8807713

Has anyone had any luck winter sowing Coneflowers? Do they come true from seed?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8808658

I've done a few... do they come true? that I dont know, all of my are various shades of pinks.
I have a few that will bloom next year,, I'm hoping they come true as I have some yellows.

I think the hybrids do not come true... but I can not attest to that.

I usually have pretty decent germination -- those this past spring, i had a few, that i really wanted, did not germinate --

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8808723

Well, seems like some of them should, maybe not all. I hope your yellows come out nice, the only yellow I have is Maui Sunshine and I'm pretty sure it's dead :(

I bought a lot of seeds off eBay last year and threw them all away because I was told they do not come true from seed. I felt ripped off but maybe I could have gotten a few pretty ones. They might not be true to parent but they can still be pretty right?

I was thinking about winter sowing a few this winter, it's not that much trouble and I could end up with some sprouts in the spring. Wish me luck!
roserairie
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8870834

I wintersowed Pow Pow and had good results. Only problem is I went out of town and when I returned, they were dead. I'm going to do it again this year. I got the seeds from swallowtail but they are not being offered this year. I will try some of the other varieties.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8871646

That's good, Pow Wow does come true, from what I've heard. Those are the only seeds I saved. Wish me luck! Oh, It would be worth it to buy a plant, because you could end up with 50 seeds every year. Share them with your friends. I do not know how many seeds I have but I will count them. I am sure there are enough to share.
roserairie
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8873296

I found a few seeds left over and noticed they are being offered at Swallowtail. Good to know they come true to seed because if I can be successful this time around, I can share them too.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8873719

Good point roserairie, keep me posted and I will do the same.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America