Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Fragrant Gardening: forcing

Communities > Forums > Fragrant Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Fragrant GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8808261

anyone else potting up hyacinths, etc, to smell in the middle of the winter?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8829019

Never did that, wish I had more indoor room

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8831154

If you saw the mad mess that has to be brought in...you'd understand why I haven't forced anything...yet...LOL
thaidai
Phutthamonthon
Thailand
(Zone 10b)

September 30, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8831172

Many years ago in England we forced some. We planted them in a suitable fairly dry bulb medium in October and then put them in an airing cupboard until they sprouted, then on a frost proof window sill for flowering when they were about 2 inches high if left in the dark much longer they would grow weedy. If I remember correctly they flowered around Christmas time.
PhyllisMihalik
Chardon, OH

October 10, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8844061

Pot up hyacinths, water and put into the fridge for 8-10 weeks. Then bring the pot into the house and watch it go. Plant multiple pots over several weeks and you can have hyacinths for weeks when the snow flies.

I have an extra fridge in the garage just for forcing bulbs.

Another thing I do to save space in the fridge is I plant the bulbs in leftover flower trays from my annuals purchase the previous spring. Then when I am ready for some flowers in the house, I pull a few now rooted bulbs from the trays and replant them in a pretty pot for the house. They tart sprouting and voile, instant spring.

When they are starting to get spent, I just go back to the fridge and pull out a few more bulbs, pot them up for the house and in a few weeks hyacinths again.
dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2011
2:56 AM

Post #8844588

You sound hard core Phyllis : )
i have a dedicated fridge too & wondering, if i pamper them, can they be forced for more than one year? I will try the flower tray this year. Ideally, i like to start planting them early sept but can't get the stores to carry them that soon...do you order yours for forcing?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Fragrant Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Are there any easy Gardenias? Heavinscent 56 Jan 25, 2012 8:53 PM
Your most fragrant plants by ranking Heavinscent 201 Aug 28, 2008 11:34 PM
Most Fragrant Petunias... zville123 41 Jul 31, 2014 3:55 PM
Fragrant Iris List violabird 8 Jan 19, 2008 3:38 PM
Michelia alba lovetropics 77 Sep 22, 2008 5:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America