Photo by Melody

Winter Sowing: How soon do you start looking for seeds?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 13, Views: 195
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ladyschweig
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8808825

I have a feeling I am going to start seeing seed catalogs arrive in the mail "soon". I'm already getting the itch to start planning my WS for 2011/2012. I'm only brave enough to gather seeds from one variety that I am secure about. I'll buy, trade, swap, the rest.

How soon do you start buying, swapping and other wise gathering seeds?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8810686

I start looking as soon as there are spent heads... I would have already harvested my Monarda by now, marigolds, some zinnias, salvias ... ah - i see you are in a warmer zone... but, once the flowers are spent / brownish ... you can start looking. I walk around with paper, pencil and baggies in my pockets ... that way i never miss an opportunity to grab seeds.

for me, the seed pilfering season runs end of Aug for some plants, until mid-Nov or hard frost.
alday
Center, TX

September 23, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8820451

I have a question. Can you WS hollyhocks. If so, when. Thanks alday

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8820547

yes. best to start them late summer -- you may still have time - they should germinate this year, and bloom for you next year.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2011
1:59 AM

Post #8850615

Hey Lady:

Like TCS, I keep a close eye on the seed and plant trading forums. I can't bear to think of spending another cent on a potted plant or packet of seed, but I know that something will catch my eye and I will have to have it.

There are cuttings from plants that are annual in my zone that I am trying to root and overwinter indoors.

Then other things I didn't get to plant outdoors this season that I may try to start from seed sooner than later. I wish I had a greenhouse! I guess that's what WS is for. But I have a green iguana and she has her own room. I have taken to calling it my "mist chamber" because I have to keep her temperature and humidity levels pretty high. I just have to figure out how to keep her from climbing on plants or shelves.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8885152

I ju?st ordered some seed from Park Seeds, Scabiosa Fama, and the packet was $9.95!!! Couldn't believe it. Any idea why it is sooooo expensive

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8885838

Holy cow, that does seem costly so I did a little search. I guess fair market price is whatever people will pay for something. I found this neat website I hadn't seen before. Prices vary broadly!

How much for shipping?

A.

http://www.thefind.com/garden/info-scabiosa-pin-cushion-flower
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8885921

Ha! The joke is on me. It arrived today. A plant!! I thought they only sold seeds. I don't remember seeing anything about plants. Crumb. Well, now I have to try to get it through the winter indoors. it is very vigorous and in really good shape. I will check out your website for future reference. I tried collecting seeds from my scabiosa but not sure how successful that will be. I really love them and they stay in bloom clear through frosts and even light snow up here.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8887627

Good grief! Ha ha - a scabiosa in AK in November. Good luck with that. ;)

The website is a shopping site where you can search comparative prices for things all in one place. Nice. Well enjoy that plant! I'm sure it'll be fine. I have never been able to get seed from mine either.

A.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8887720

I repotted it in a large pot and put a grow lite on it. If I had knows it was a plant I would have ordered a blue one as I only have one of those.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8887769

Hope it does well for you this winter.

I always liked Scabiousas... grew the white once... even seeds from spent heads germinated, and grew and bloomed that year. Ever since, i've tried a variety of seeds [winter sowing, just like i grew the while ones] and zip, nada, nothing... bummer because they are so pretty.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8888208

Interesting. I tried to harvest seeds in a bottle, and also tried to assure that some seeds made it to the ground. We shall see next spring.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9012282

Pardon me Oberon, but how's your Scabiosa doing?
Tcs, if you keep reminding me (because my little brain cell needs all the help it can get!), I'll keep an eye out for white Scabiosas at work and pilfer seeds for you this summer, ok? =)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9012303

Durn thing croaked. I am not surprised. I would love some white seeds. That would be just great. Thanks for remembering. Pretty nice...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America