Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: Barley question?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 3, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 15, 2011
3:22 AM

Post #8809102

I have seen it several magazines where you can buy barley balls, etc, to put in your ponds to keep the algae and all down. I found one the other day at Tractor Supply for putting in your livestock barrels. Well, I bought one hoping it would keep the water clean for my horses, but that thing was disgusting in about a week. Has anyone else used these for their pond or anything?

Anyone have any suggestions on keeping algae out of the livestock water?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8810041

Hi,
I use barley straw that comes in mesh bags in my pond to help keep algae down. In our cow waterers I scrub them with stiff plastic brush every once in a while as they get nasty with algae. In my birdbath I keep 2 copper pennies and it keeps algae out very well. Not sure if a horse would eat up a penny but if they did I'm sure it would pass right through LOL.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 15, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8810148

Thank you Bonnie, good to know...interesting about the penny.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8812407

My pond at home stays pretty clear, because there are lots of good filter plants in there especially iris. But we did use a barley ball to clear up murky water in a pond at a display garden I used to volunteer at. It worked like a charm. That water was not clouded with green algae, though. The brown mucky stuff from the pond bottom was being stirred up somehow, so the water was always thick dark brown looking until we put in the barley ball. Maybe it was brown algae?

I think the penny idea is fantastic for your horse troughs. Copper is death to algae, but not harmful to mammals - our potable water is/was supplied through copper pipes for years, right? I use pennies in my washing machine to keep the rubber gasket around the door from getting moldy.

You could also look at where it's situated - if it's in the shade it would grow a lot less algae. Like any plant, algae needs sun, and fertilizer to grow. Could the raccoons be using your horse trough for you-know-what? That could be the fertilizer . . . I can't think how you'd prevent it, but . . maybe a 'scarecrow' sprinkler would keep them away? You'd have to remember to turn it off in the daytime so the horses wouldn't be scared away, too.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America