Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: Spur injury to one of my girls

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 15, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8809859

I knew at some point the boys were going to bother the girls, but who knew they would be so bad from the get go...
I need to figure out whether I need to sew her up or maybe use the glue type of stuff like they do for people to fix her up. I have her separated and have even made an pretty good attempt at a chicken apron for her. I just need for someone to take a look at the next post an say one way or another if I need to sew, glue, or maybe just leave well enough alone. I am not going to put it in the first post since it looks gross. I cleaned the wound up best I could considering a squirming chicken... so don't scroll down if you are squeamish.

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8809866

here is the pic...

She seems to be OK she is eating and drinking OK and even laid an egg later on after she was separated. So she seems no worse for wear so to speak.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8810266

Poor little gal. I'm no expert, but think if she were mine I'd clean it a couple times a day and make sure she was in a place where flies couldn't get on her. It looks like your roos don't believe in Dinner And A Movie for their girls. Can you send some of them to freezer camp?
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8810288

ouch poor baby. Hope she heal up quick.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8810374

Annie - Just put 2 into freezer camp...that was traumatic enough for me this past week. I know I'm going to have to send a few more, but I got to give myself a couple of weeks to decide who stays and who goes. I know that my male Faverolle is staying...and I will probably keep one each of the Wyadottes and Plymouth rocks. So big red will probably go and 2 others...sigh. That will leave me with 3 boys for 12 girls. I guess if I have another injury soon I will probably kick the boys out of the coop during the day so the girls can get a rest period from them.

Right now she is staying in the garage so we won't have any fly problems. The gash is pretty large (to me) it is about a golf ball size hole in the skin...it is under her wing so it is a little hard to get to the wound with one hand since I have to hold the wing up to get to it...so if I have to give her stitches I'll have to enlist some help. I have cleaned it out best I can and since she is inside she doesn't have much chance to get dirt in it. I am keeping a watch on it to see if it look like infection is starting. My mom said to maybe put some peroxide on it ... is that OK to do? Any other ideas?

This message was edited Sep 17, 2011 8:20 AM
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8810456

hmm I don't think I would pour peroxide into a big open wound. I would get some betadine to wash it out with
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8810463

I would probably use peroxide, but if you have Betadine, that would work too. Chickens don't often get infection from flesh wounds.. I'd just put some neosporin on it and let it heal.. You will probably be surprised at how fast they heal. If it is getting flies, then I'd use BlueKote.. it helps to dry it up fast too.

I had a naked neck get a huge gash and I thought she would be a gonner.. but nope! washed it up with peroxide, and it healed fine.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2011
3:57 AM

Post #8810624

Wow you mean that huge gash will just close up without any intervention...had no clue that chickens have that kind of healing power...

I will skip the peroxide and just put some neosporin on it, I have that, but no betadine.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8810669

Chickens can really surprise you with their healing abilities. I have had several that I thought were beyond help, but they're still with me. I wouldn't stitch, but if you could pull the edges together with bandaids (using them like butterfly bandages) it might make for a faster recovery. I had a hen with a "Y" wound on her back, with each leg being at least 1.5", and she healed with just cage rest. I did Bluecote it when it first happened. General advice in vet care says you can use peroxide once, when the injury first happens, but after that dilute povidine iodine if needed. Unless there's a lot of debris in the wound, I'd pretty much let it be.
Wishing her well :)
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8810806

OK just back from the store. Bought some new skin spray and some butterfly bandages. Will fix her up in a little bit...have to work sometime today at my real job. LOL!

I was also lucky to find some cloth on sale @ wally world with chickens on it...Will make another attempt at a chicken apron/saddle, but I am going to use some sew in velcro to hold the elastic instead of snaps or sewing into it like I've seen on some online versions. I'll let y'all see what I come up with when I have it finished.

Thanks so much for your help!

Later gals!

This message was edited Sep 17, 2011 8:23 AM
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8811226

I have put together another chicken saddle and it turned out pretty good. Lets see what everyone thinks...

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8811237

Here it is on my girl. She is still laying eggs so she is defiantly OK. One yesterday and one today...
She just needs time to heal up.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

September 16, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8811441

You did a good job!Looks nice on her
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8811607

Glad to hear she doesn't have an infection, yay! I love betadine, for animals and people too! It's amazing what they can recover from. Had a little gal that got hung up in the fence (Thanks again ZZ's for holding my hand through it!!) and her coop mates weren't kind to her while she was stuck there. I kept the area spotless and disinfected, she healed in no time. Blue Kote - it's a must have! Hides all kinds of things that other chickens find interesting and keeps them from pecking or trying to taste it. They can be cruel.

I miss having a rooster, he was such a good guardian. But, he was a huge BCM and was IN LOVE with Vivian, the Silkie. Vivian is my very first chicken and she's GOLDEN around here. He was so rough with her, his 10 pounds on her 1 1/2 pound body was not a good match. He now lives with 8 LF hens and is happy. He was spared freezer camp, but it's hard to rehome roosters. Besides, they're pretty darned delicious.

You're doing a great job!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8811786

wow that apron is to cute!!! Glad she is doing well
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8812684

That is a great job on the apron! Yes, I have full confidence your hen will be fine. She is not traumatized, or she wouldn't be laying. (the first egg yes, but not a second) She is one lucky girl. :)

Yup.. Bluekote is priceless around the chickens!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America