Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Caudiciforms: Dorstenia ID ?

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 6, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8810070

Picked up a pot packed with these yesterday. I know it is a dorstenia but not sure what type. They were totally and completely root bound so I separated them. I hope they can handle aggressive root disturbance... I planted them in some loose cacti mix which I also hope is OK...

Anyone recognize this plant?

Thumbnail by plexippus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8810072

Here is its flower...

Thumbnail by plexippus

amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8810087

Check out D hildebrandtii. I have a very similar plant I obtained this past Sunday under that name (and I grow 6 other Dorstenia spp).
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8814580

Almost looks alien. I love it. I have to go and find one. I love the fat caudex.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 13, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8888585

I reread this old thread. I have several Dorstenias I can't ID either. The first is several years old and keep chugging a long.

Thumbnail by helenchild

helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 13, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8888589

And here is a little volunteer I think is really cute!

Thumbnail by helenchild

amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8888632

Hi helenchild! I do love Dorstenia and I have several. I've also lost a few already, to bad culture and to critters (they seem to be yummy to animals). The two plants you shared are both almost certainly D foetida. It used to be separate from D crispa, but they're considered the same species now. A friend of mine who grows and sells professionally says the Dorstenia volunteer seedlings in his greenhouse used to bother him, but now he just waits until they're big enough, pots them up, and sells them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America